The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Youngster Is Just A Fantastic Prospect For Newcastle United

9:57 am, Monday, August 5th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 40 Comments

Once Newcastle finally get in a striker this summer, courtesy of Joe Kinnear, we will probably see North Shields born Adam Campbell go out on loan somewhere,   to get first team games, probably though January.

adam campbell at st. mirren

Adam Campbell - a fantastic prospect for Newcastle

St. Mirren have already expressed an interest in taking the 18 year-old, but maybe a Championship club would be better, because of the higher standard, and then Adam would have a chance to prove himself, by scoring some goals.

And everything we’ve heard about Adam, makes us think he’ll do anything to be a big success at his home club Newcastle United, and he works hard in training and keeps his head down, and he also has confidence in his own abilities, is very fast, and has that knack of putting the ball into the back of the net.

Sounds like a young Michael Owen to us.

And if this lad’s as good as we think he is, he could be pressing for a first team place at Newcastle come the end of the season.

The 18 year-old England U20 International has been interviewed today in the Evening Chronicle, and this is some of what he said:

“It is going to be a massive season for me no matter where I end up.” “If I can stay here, I’d love that.”  ” I would love to fight for my place if I can but if the gaffer thinks it is right to move on – that’s what I will do.”

“Hopefully, I can stay here and push for the first team here.” “I don’t know. I am just the same as any other player. I am just concentrating on my football and I’m not really worried about loans.”

“There aren’t as many strikers in as we have in the past so there’s a chance for me and Haris Vuckic to really push on.”  “I will turn up in training and do the best I can.”

“I’m just happy to be back playing because it’s so long since I’ve had back to back 90 minutes in a week so to get Kilmarnock last week and Gateshead on Friday was great.

“It’s great to have people like Papiss Cisse and Shola Ameobi to learn from in training.” “Shola’s left foot is unreal, it is better than my right foot and his finishing is  just fantastic.”

“He is always there to offer advice and telling us things we should be doing. They’re great people to learn from.” “It’s been really good and I made sure I stayed fit over the summer so I returned in the best shape possible.”

“The running we did in Portugal was exactly what the lads needed.” “It’s all been a great experience.”

With Joe Kinnear trying very hard to bring in as many as three senior strikers this summer, that would put Adam way down the pecking order.

And he needs to play first team games next season, and if Newcastle can get him to a Championship club,  that seems to be exactly what Adam needs for his continuing development towards being a top player on Tyneside.

Note: Reader Mark Harding has kindly set up a Fantasy Football League for the coming season for readers of this blog.
The code is 3178-173427, and you can sign up for it HERE.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Adam Campbell · Friendlies · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth · Pre-Season

40 responses so far ↓

• 1 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    0 mins ago
    LooneyToon

Spot on mate, we can’t complain about lack of communication then complain about them communicating

As you say, all the updates he has made our targets that are well publicised, not only by the media, but by there clubs and by our manager

I’d rather know that at least something’s happening rather than nothing at all

And what’s this another member of NUFC praising shola?
    What do they know! ;)
    I don’t see the point on moving shola on tbh, low wages and always happy to play any role he’s asked to

• 2 jazzyp // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I think Campbell will in time become a cracking player, But is at least a couple of seasons away from making a regular in our first team.
    A spell on loan will do him the world of good for experience. And will stand him in good sted for when his time comes to take the grand stage on the NUFC park.

• 3 PMartel // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Guys,

Look at the previous post regarding Remy on a flight to Newcastle this morning. Looks like this one could be happening! !

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Lesh,
    I’m no expert on body language, but from what I can vaguely recall hearing about it, then Kinnear’s interview doesn’t look clever. To be honest, I was just seeing if there was a body language expert on here, who could give a bit more insight to it.

As for hearing from the club, it is all well and good being given these updates, but none of what we have been told in it is anything new. I enjoy hearing from the club, but would prefer it to be about other aspects then signings (training improvements, back room staff appointments, youngsters development etc). They can tell us about the signings once they are signed.

• 5 Bearsize // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Wow shola has been shooting with the wrong foot all this time. New respect for shola as his right foot is poo!

• 6 melbourne geordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I don’t comment much, but am on here 3 times a day (at least)

For what it’s worth I reckon this would be an awesome line up in 4-4-2 and 4-3-3

I rate Taylor. He’s a bit of a clown but he’s wor cloon at heart –

Krull
    Debuchy. Taylor Collo. Mbiwa
    HBA Sissoko Cabaye. Santon
    Cisse Remy

Or….Tiote steps in for Santon in a 4-3-3 and Cabaye pushes up, supporting HBA, Cisse and Remy up top.

(why Santon isn’t given the nod left mid is beyond me)

• 7 magpie6699 // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Martel – sure they’ve not been drinking too much Martel?

• 8 Markaccus // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Hes on his way to the makems. Di canio has hijacked tje bid

• 9 jazzyp // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Pmartel
    you better not be telling porkies now lol . We have enough of them on here as it is.
    Lilongwe-I to thought he came across well for a change but looked very shifty in his mannerism, But then again he looks like this all the time anyhow !!

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM

On Campbell, he needs to be out on loan this season. Regular game time will be the only way to develop him. He said in another part of this interview how tough it was adjusting from U21/reserve football to playing Gateshead in a friendly. The development league isn’t really fit for purpose. Get him to an SPL club until Jan, then bring him back, have another look at him and, depending on his development/our desperation for a goalscorer, either play him, or send him out to the Championship for the remainder of the season.

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

In other news, Southampton entering the race for Remy. Apparently.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM

For all of Santon’s supposed attacking ability his crossing is awful, and he managed just 2 assists in 31 starts. Obertan managed 2 assists in 4 starts and 10 sub appearances. Other than Sammy and Shane, Obertan was top for number of assists per minute on field last season….

• 13 prashanth // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM

now we know why campbell hasn’t set pulses racing on his appearances for the first team… he is learning from Shola!

• 14 toonincheek // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM

TADS – First – but

Yes, we can complain.
    Openness about running the Club – Yes
    Openness about pending transfers – absolute No-No.

I’m sure DL and CM made a point of requiring selling clubs to maintain confidentiality while dealings were on-going.
    Maybe that didn’t always work, but it was fairly effective.

• 15 JFK junior // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

We MUST have an ITK at the airport surely?!??

• 16 jazzyp // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Prashanth
    Evening mate, Where abouts are you in New Zealand as the company I work for are looking at contracts in hawkes bay and the Christchurch rebuild.

• 17 Ben3arfa // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 5s

Understand that Loic Remy is travelling to Tyneside now for a medical #nufc

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 43s
    Understand that Loic Remy is travelling to Tyneside now for a medical #nufc

• 19 paul24 // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

“Shola’s left foot is unreal, it is better than my right foot and his finishing is just fantastic.”

I fell out of my chair laughing at this xD

• 20 jazzyp // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Just been confirmed guys loic is on his way to newcastle

• 21 prashanth // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Hi Jazzy

Im in Auckland!

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Lil,
    AC should have been on loan last season where he may have grabbed a hat full of goals his confidence would have been brimming and it’s possible he could have been ready to act as cover for one of our main men, unfortunately the lack of options on the bench last season didn’t allow that to happen which for me shows that our transfer policy is seriously flawed.

• 23 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Toonincheek
    It’s all over every media outlet and the selling clubs are doing basically minute by minute updates
    It’s hardly top secret

Think people are just looking for something to pick holes in tbh

• 24 ToonDanno // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Morning chaps

• 25 jazzyp // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Oh boy am excited about this guy coming to the toon.
    I hope its not just a loan deal for the season and we have the option to buy. The deal needs to be on our terms and not his !!

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Could be good news today.

• 27 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Gignac has rubbished rumours of him going to NUFC
    Thank f for that!!

• 28 jazzyp // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Go on toodanno your going to try and claim acknowledgement for this deal ??

• 29 melbourne geordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

@ Lilongwe. Our crossing is indeed a woeful thing in general! An absolute disgrace, but if we switch Santon and HBA throughout the game we’ll also get Santon onto his right foot where he can make that kind of impact. He can cross, but yes, not so strong on the left.

HBA and Santon are as different a pair of (potential) wingers as, say, Kanchelskis and Giggs were (or Gillespie and Ginola) , one a flyer , one a jinker, but the beauty with our two is that I reckon they could give their fullbacks hell by switching flanks throughout….

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM

If he’s charged with rape on the 1st is Shefqui Kooki still available ?

• 31 jamesnufc86 // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Yes, Sky sports “Remy on his way to Newcastle for talks”

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Jail,
    I agree, he should have gone out on loan from January. Even though we didn’t bring anyone in, the way we used him made it pointless keeping him around. A loan with a recall option if we needed him back would surely have been more sensible. Although, a recall option means no loan fee payable for the player.

• 33 PMartel // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Great news! My old man wasn’t tanked up in the end! Pleased to share some good news with you all for once!

• 34 jazzyp // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Tads-agree totally about gignac mate.Would have been a disaster. Especially at 12 mill that was being banded about.

• 35 PMartel // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM

And I broke the news before Secret Sausage. Cheapies!!!

• 36 wynsleap // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

“He’ll do anything to be a success at Newcastle” you say Ed.
    Yes – even to the point of lying through his teeth about Ameobi’s abilities.

• 37 lesh // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM

on thread – lets hope Campbell whom Ed’s likening to a young Michael Owen, let’s just hope he doesn’t grow to become the Michael Owen we signed!

Lilongwe, I agree that information about changes, developments etc would greatly help fans understand and trust the club more. That can only be a positive move, perhaps fleshed out in the fans/ club forums? Transfer business and negotiations to be kept quiet until the times are right to speak.

Lil, been to your lakeside music fest yet?

As Ryder reckons Remy’s on his way up, could he have read PMartel’s post?

• 38 lesh // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Lol, forgot to ask did we ever find someone who can talk sensibly about non-verbal communication?

• 39 toonincheek // Aug 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

lesh -

That was EXACTLY my thought
    when I read Eds script.

• 40 toonincheek // Aug 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

paul24 ” 19 -
    I fell out of my chair laughing at this xD

Why?
    Its much the same as a comment Alan Shearer made a while ago.

Do you know more than the guys who play with him?

previous post: Joe Kinnear Learning His Job At Newcastle?

next post: Krul Back – Strong Newcastle Squad To Travel To Rangers