The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cisse, Remy And Gomis Would Be Awesome At Newcastle

9:47 am, Tuesday, August 6th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 37 Comments

Joe Kinnear has had a tough time of it since he was appointed Newcastle’s Director of Football in mid-June, which led to Derek LLambias leaving the club, and until yesterday Newcastle were the only Premier League side not to have signed a senior player.

loic remy joe kinnear

Done it – Remy with Kinnear yesterday after the signing

But that all changed yesterday, when Newcastle beat other clubs and signed up top striker Loic Remy on a season-long loan deal with an option to buy the player next summer.

And if Remy does well next season, we suppose there could be other clubs in for him next summer who could potentially offer bigger wages, but that have to wait until after what is a very important season for Newcastle United.

Almost two weeks ago,  Papiss Cisse ended his hold-out in protesting against having to wear the Wonga sign on his shirt,  and then played extremely well last Tuesday at St. Mirren, and scored a great goal – so Cisse is with us next season.

And from what we understand,  the only thing holding up the Newcastle signing of Bafe Gomis,  is an internal dispute on whether his club Lyon need to pay their player 5% of the transfer fee, which we covered in an article late yesterday.

There is also the hold-up on what fees Newcastle will pay the Gomis agents, and the Lyon President a couple of days ago said the deal could take until next weekend before things are sorted out.

But Newcastle have already had their offer for the player accepted, and have agreed terms with the player, so once a couple of  these loose ends are tied up, we are hoping that Bafe Gomis will be a Newcastle player.

Then we will have signed two great strikers this summer,  and seven Frenchmen this year, and our strike force of Cisse, Remy and Gomis should be awesome next season.

Newcastle will also have Shola Ameobi and Yoan Gouffran who can also play up front, and it remains to be seen if local player Shola Ameobi stays at Newcastle, since his goal is to make the Nigerian squad for the World Cup next summer in Brazil.

And with those three strikers ahead of him in the pecking order,  Shola may not get many games in the coming season.

If Joe Kinnear can get Bafe Gomis to Newcastle, he will have achieved what was necessary this summer for the club – two good strikers, because the rest of the team looks strong and has some depth to it.

If we can get Gomis in we should be in great shape.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

37 responses so far ↓

• 1 IITianToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Heard Remy has a calf injury, hopefully its not too bad.

Ed can you make a post on Remy’s interview on NUFC TV?

• 2 NoBigi // Aug 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Yeh full interview would be awesome. Might be a bit cringe viewing though. ‘its my dream to play for NUFC’ hmmmm

• 3 newcrapastle // Aug 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Can anyone give me a link to stream Newcastle vs Rangers tonight?

• 4 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Has there been any confirmation on this option to buy?

A lot gets made of these clauses, but at the end of the day the player doesn’t have to stay….does he? I suppose there could be a clause that if we pay the transfer fee, Remys contract with us just extends? Really not sure.

Either way, still good to finally have him on board, getting in a ST was definitely the priority for me and whilst I think we still need another player or two, I’m not so anxious going in to the season as we are.

HWTL.

• 5 Scottiedog // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I am not sure we will continue with Gomis anymore as there seems to be too many strange holdups!?!? I would prefer we go in for a Sinclair or Ince and concentrate on a 4-3-3

• 6 corkypants85 // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Iv not seen an option to buy anywhere!

• 7 Graeme // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Good morning Ibiza, are you well mate?

It has been stated in a few publications that the agreement is a loan, with the option to buy, at an agreed fee, anytime in the next year. I have seen nothing from NUFC confirming that though!!

• 8 Rainrix // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Ibiza…. Well according to his holiness lee ryder

@lee_ryder Any idea if the Remy loan has an option to buy?

@chrisjbarre Has the option to buy next summer.

I assume a new contract would be drawn up and if remy didn’t want to stay he could reject and go back to QPR and be transferred on from there.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Ibiza,
    Good morning, imo I think it will be pure speculation on the terms and conditions until he has banged in 10/15 goals by January and we have or haven’t offered him a contract.

• 10 Jamiemac // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM

This is the team that went on the 11 unbeaten run at the start of the 11/12 season:

Krul
    Simmo – Colo – Saylor – Raylor
    Obertan – Tiote – Cab – Guti
    Best – Ba

Occasional starts for Barton, Guthrie, Lovenkrands, Shola.

Wonder how many of you would take that team now haha

• 11 north east lincs toon // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM

is rangers game on T.V. ?

• 12 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Corky…Me neither, just people saying it…which always makes me skeptical.

Graeme…Long time mate, doing well and you? Same thing here…lots of talking but as usual, not a whole lot of substance.

Given what the club have said about not wanting to do loans etc in the past you would hope that they have set this one up right. It wont be a cheap deal, but if he’s doing the job for the toon it would make sense to activate it. I wonder if we can spin this as being Ashleys intentions all along?

Nah, blogs far too happy to even try that :)

• 13 richyg01 // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM

How come it still says Sports Direct.com on the Milburn Stand???

• 14 richyg01 // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

SSN: Stewart Downing was backed into 5/6 to sign for Newcastle

• 15 Owldman // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM

We got our man in the end, however if Llambias had done his job properly we should have had him in January, dont think Ashley & Carr were too pleased when we missed out first time.Remy left France to sign for us in January, but Llambias couldn’t be arsed to go down to London to meet the player & his agent the rest as we know is Floopy chops stepped in & we lost out result ? thankfully we kept Carr & got rid of Llambias

• 16 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Rainrix…From your introduction I thought you were talking about wor Joe ;)

Well, if Ryder said it, I’m a believer (that is how the song goes, isn’t it? “Then I saw Lee’s tweet, now I’m a believer”?).

Jail…A good morning to you too. Pure speculation at the toon until well after the event? Where do you make this stuff up from?

I mentioned yesterday, that considering this is Ashley, that he probably tried to get a sell on clause out of this loan deal.

• 17 Owldman // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM

@14 just read it on Sky Sports, hope its just gossip, who would we drop to play this muppet, what would Downing add to our team? answer a big Zilch.

• 18 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM

richy…Sorry? Do you mean why is the Sports Direct stand still being called the Milburn Stand?

• 19 Rainrix // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Ibiza…. Wor JKs holy after 1 signing? Theres that fickle Geordie stereotype again :)

• 20 TorqToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Morning Ibiza!

I think the delay on finalising the deal was down to the insistence of NUFC putting in said clause.

You can rest easy! Lee Ryder has confirmed it. Therefore it is gospel! :-)

Hope you are well, sir!

• 21 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM

In all the time and the amount of money its taking to sort out a deal for gomis, we should have try for menez. Imagine how exciting that could have be.

Hba – cisse – remy. And menez behind cisse. I reckon we could be lookin at competing for champions league!
    Or we can swap menez and hba. Let’s not forget remy can play on the right and well as left. Menez and hba can play both side and behind cisse.
    My favourite style or play is consistent rotation through games so we’re unpredictable. The trio would always have the ability to take two defender out of a game in a second.

I think I’m gettin over excited here, think it would be far 2 good 2 imagine! Lol

• 22 Rotonda heights // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Please not Downing. Smacks of the duff signing all over
    again when clearly his best days had long gone.

I don’t want us shifting from this buying players under 27 policy as i think it’s worked extremely well and has stopped people coming for a final pay day.

Marveaux struggles to get a game as it is and he was our leading assists man last season.

• 23 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Rainrix…The fact that you didn’t accept him as holy as soon as he arrived just plays in to the whole the Geordies and northern paranoid thickos stereotype…why do I get the feeling this conversation may not go down well?

Let’s not challenge the whole fickle thing today, I’m just pleased to see a somewhat upbeat blog…I’ve not been participating, but from what I’ve read it’s as been as bad as I can remember and this blog is much better and deserves much better than that rubbish.

• 24 richyg01 // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Watch him take the strike,
    LOIC!

Lets get Remy to rumble,
    Lets get Remy to rumble,
    Get Cisse and Benny and rumble,
    Toon-Army Rumble.

Push back, on the attack,
    Don’t take no flack,
    Now its time
    to have a crack,

• 25 Rainrix // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I’d be dubious of buying any winger over 28 years of age. Although odds being slashed doesn’t mean a great deal. It just means a gulible daily mail reader has had a cheeky fiver on it in the hopes of earning enough money for another bottle of brown.

• 26 richyg01 // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Stuck on the “I’m Ant, I’m Declan….”

• 27 IITianToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM

@Ibiza
    Like you and I were discussing, we should judge Pardew once he has got the tools.
    I believe he now has them, so over to you, Alan, to show us what you can now do.

• 28 Owldman // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quick question for the bloggers are Toon issuing new season tickets heard someone on the bus saying they had got theirs on Friday?

• 29 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Torq….I think you are right :)

Very well, thank you. Have the scars of your lynching healed yet?]

Rotonda…It would be a fairly unspectacular signing and really there to make up the numbers imo. Having said that, do you see Marv as a winger? I really don’t. When he’s looked his best, which for me is still a little inconsistent (but then again, so is his playing time), he’s looked better behind the striker dictating play. I feel we really need a proper winger, which Downing is, but I hope we’re after someone better and younger. Have seen Inces name being thrown about and I’d be more than happy with that.

• 30 Graeme // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Ibiza – as well as can be expected mate. Still being messed about in Nigeria – they have still not managed to approve the 2013 budget, so no money has been released by Government, so hospital I work with have yet to pay an invoice since December!! Makes life interesting lol

All we can do with Remy is trust they have the testicular fortitude to have the right contract in place to protect OUR interests. There has to be an agreed fee to be paid at which point he becomes a permanant NUFC player, with no further negotiation. Just pay the money over and its sorted!!

Never forgetting, of course that its NUFC we are talking about!!! Nothing is ever as it should be lol

• 31 Owldman // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I believe Sports Direct is still Toon sponsor I have been informed that new season tickets are being issued with Sports Direct , Wonga & Puma on them, any body confirm!

• 32 TickTock // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM

“Cisse, Remy And Gomis Would Be Awesome At Newcastle”

The problem with that is that Remy could be in prison by
    the end of next month.

• 33 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Graeme….Since December? Just over half a year mate, quit your whinging. Some folk really do like to nag :) Sounds a nightmare mate, I know this is probably a really stupid question, but do they not have any sort of contingency funding or something? How can people survive? At least you have the toon to keep life positive ;)

• 34 Wandering Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Hi Guys. Here’s a link for the Rangers game

• 35 bobby mango // Aug 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Remy, Gomis, Cisse… They’re like chalk and cheese and… errr…. something else.

• 36 toonluvva // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Glad to see Remy “over the line”.

But, this was not JoKe’s signing as we had been trailing Remy long before he darkened our doorway.

Also, what will happen at the end of the season if QPR are promoted back to the PL. Will Remy go back down to London?

• 37 toonicle // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Gois AND a winger please Ed! We need someone who can play either wing but especially as a backup RW for when Benny get’s another injury which seems likely considering his record. With Remy and Goofy on the LW I think we should be safe there.

previous post: What’s Your Newcastle Team For Rangers Test Tonight?

next post: Loic Remy Gives First Interview To nufcTV