The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Remy – I’ll Give My All For Newcastle – I Hope Fans Accept me

3:18 pm, Tuesday, August 6th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 174 Comments

Here’s some more of the nufcTV interview with Loic Remy and one or two bits that we didn’t cover in our previous article on it today.

loic remy at newcastle  ytr

Loic Remy – in the Newcastle dressing room

And it looks like 18 times capped French international Remy will be presented to the Newcastle fans on Saturday night at St. James’ Park, just before our last pre-season game

Here’s some more of what Loic said on nufcTV yesterday:

“Everyone has been very friendly since I arrived and I am looking forward to playing my first match, whenever that will be.” “I only had half a season in the Premier League last year so am looking forward to a full season this time around.”

“Hopefully I can show the fans and the club exactly what I am capable of, both with my goals and my team play, and I hope and believe the public will accept me into the club as soon as possible.

“I feel the Premier League is great for me as an attacker. The opportunities for a player of my position are better in England than they are in France.”

“I don’t necessarily know if I’m a better player for it, but I learnt a lot from my first six months in England.” “I’m a player who will work hard and give my all for the club in order to make things happen.”

It wasn’t good that Loic turned us down in January, but hey – that’s all water under the Tyne Bridge now, and we hope the Newcastle fans give Loic a fantastic reception on Saturday night – this lad can become a great player in the famous black and white stripes of Newcastle.

It’s a very good interview with Loic, and we just wish Newcastle would release it, so that all Newcastle fans can watch it – whether or not they have a nufcTV subscription or not – the club should do that for the first interview for each new signing.

Now for something out of the ordinary and an interesting couple of stories about Newcastle – my daughter Elaine was the make-up artist on a film being shot last week in Raleigh, and the Director (an American) said she supported Newcastle United, so my daughter Elaine said my Dad runs a blog on them.

The woman said yes I read it – and asked why she supported Newcastle – she said she liked to support the underdogs. :(

My daughter told me this story only yesterday – just before we got Remy finally signed, and an hour ago I received a very nice email from a new Newcastle supporter Alex, from NY City, and he said he was new to soccer (football is called that over here).

He’s been supporting Newcastle since February, and that was after he had watched that great game with Chelsea, when Sissoko scored those two brilliant late goals to win it for the lads 3-2 – and Alex was indoctrinated there and then, as another Newcastle supporter.

Alex doesn’t like supporting the big clubs like Manchester United or City or Chelsea, he tells me that was not an option for him, and says he liked to support the underdogs and that’s why he’s now a Newcastle United supporter, and after our gutsy performance against Chelsea.

Pity he didn’t see that Arsenal game over two years ago, when we came back to 4-4 after being 4-0 down after 26 minutes, and certainly Newcastle got fantastic publicity over here for that incredible comeback in the second half.

And I hastened to tell Alex that we were 5th in the league the season before last – but it’s interesting that we are getting new support over here – but as the underdogs.

We can change that – so maybe it’s got to be a top four finish next season, and we may even have to start the season by winning at Manchester City a week on Monday – that will show them. :D

And a final thought – wonder when we will sign Bafe Gomis?

Comments welcome – but please keep them civil.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

174 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM

You’re one of us now lad, of course we’ll accept you.

• 2 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I also see that Conor Newton has went back on loan to St Mirren. Let’s hope he gets on as well as Dummett did for the whole season. I’ve heard a few people say Newton is a very good player so all the best to him.

• 3 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Just knock a few goals in and all will be forgiven ;)

• 4 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

To be fair, for most of my lifetime supporting the toon we’ve been the underdogs. I have no problem with that at all, the underdog gets to bite the big dogs ass and we all like biti…I’ve got this comment all mixed up, can anyone help me out?

• 5 King Arfa // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Course he will be accepted the guy is lethal in front of goal major coup for us in my eyes and I hope there’s a good chance we will have first refusal on him next summer if QPR don’t make it back up hey never know he may not want to go back after experiencing 52000 week in week out!

• 6 Rainrix // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Actually ed its been very civil today. I dont think anyones been threaten with violence at all today!

• 7 Graeme // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Once he starts scoring a few, shows he isnt frightened to put a shift in, he will be accepted with open arms.

If we can get Cisse, Remy and Benny/ Gomis banging them in as a front three there will be 52,000 singing his name at SJP!!!

• 8 scout // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Have you seen how hard this lad can strike a ball.
    Best signing we could have wished for, although only for a season.
    Good luck lad

• 9 Graeme // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Ibiza – I would find a new passtime mate – leave the asses for other donkeys. You know its for the best!!

• 10 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Rainrix…If you correct Ed one more time I’ll knock you out sunshine. Idiot.

Ed…Sorry, some people just don’t know how to be civil.

Glad to be of help, best go grab a cheeky little siesta.

• 11 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Graeme…I feel you’re probably right :)

Take it easy lads and lasses.

• 12 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM

glad to hear we are not looking at downing as i really dont rate the lad ! as much as we need a winger i think we have better allready and thats saying a lot lol.

ince/sinclair are my personal choices but its not to say we are even looking at any of those 2

• 13 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ibiza

No we’re not, we’re usually the epitome of calm…I’m not fooling anyone am I? haha

I best be off myself, work beckons once more.

• 14 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Did remy snub us or could dekka simply not be arsed to meet him at the airport!!

• 15 ToonandGloom // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

That’s how we claimed 5th spot by being the underdog (and a lot of luck)????
    Fingers crossed pardew has a plan B this season were looking like a quite a strong and capable squad right now. couple more in and none out a think 8th is realistic or even a cup, haha this remy signing has gone to me head a best slow down

• 16 Rainrix // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Theres always one isnt there?

• 17 Willis // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Hi Guys

Does anybody know if this deal is with a view to permanent at the end of the season? ………………… is there an agreed price already????

Or do we go through all this again next year?

• 18 NoBigi // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Has anyone else got a subscription to NUFC TV? Is the intereview really that good!!?

• 19 toon kk // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Remy will score against Sunderland and he’ll be remembered and cheered, he won’t half feel at home.

• 20 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM

@17 willis

not read anything about a buy out clause ect so far apart from one in an unreliable source !

if he does well over the year though he will surely not want to go so fingers crossed .

• 21 ArtyH // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Remy is like all other footballers and everyone else come to that matter, in it for the money and who can blame him? Hopefully he will enjoy it at the toon and want to sign again next season, its up to toon fans to make him welcome. Think A.P should give Sylvan a DVD of Peter Beardsley’s games for the toon, as I’m sure he can play in the same sort of role, obviously not as good as Pedro but close enough, after all there was only one P.Beardsley. If S.M could cultivate the same level of intensity or come close to that I’m sure he would be a great asset to us and improve his overall standing at the toon, then the Nugget known as Pardew would have to play him…..

• 22 ToonandGloom // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

When a say “none out” a forgot about Shola, Sammy and any other ameobi that’s kicking about, get rid of Obertan as well blokes never going to make it in the PL.

• 23 DokToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM

good grief, ruddy is back…

• 24 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM

@22 toon

tbh sammy is our best winger atm i wouldnt want him out lol.

shamemobi fair enough same with ober and gos (as much as i like gos) and …..marv as i really cant see him fitting in now unless its as impact sub

• 25 Willis // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM

@20

Cheers Croftus.

I would like to think we would have something in place in case he is a success/not in prison (on a serious point).

Heres hoping QPR don’t get promoted, cos they would want him gone then……………if they come up, then he might be recalled.

• 26 jamesnufc86 // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I know it’s a bit early, but, anyone think we could get a steam for tonight’s game ? I’m extremely hungover and it’s my only happy thought right now

• 27 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

@25 willis

aye i’m with you on that lets hope they do rubbish next season ! i can see them going back up though in honesty.

• 28 La Fée Verte // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Is Remy our new number 9? Seems strange not having a number yet. I like Cisse and want to see him stay but think he could be leaving. Anyone else think this?

• 29 ArtyH // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Think I would be tempted to pull the plug on the Gomis deal or tell them if it does not go through in 48hrs the plug will be pulled. Get him for diddly next year as no one else will come in for him at that price with only 12 months left before it will be a freebee. I’d wait until the last day and go for Bent at around £3m and Downing for the same. Must sell Williamson, Shola, Obertan and Gosling, they are just not good enough. I think we should go for Ince and use Downing as a cover to get the deal done quickly and at a good price, take it or leave it style. Just MHO at this time.

• 30 toon kk // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Sammy will prove himself over the next season or two, he’ll never be a world beater but he’ll be a decent squad player.

• 31 ToonandGloom // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM

@croftus
    Am yet to see it from Sammy tbh, seen lil glimpses but not consistent enough. Friendlies are diff to the PL. if Marv had goofs work rate he would be class but just drifts in and out, might get to see the best out of him the coming season.
    Gos! Way say no more

• 32 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM

no link for toon game yet but
    lyon game in case gomis is playing

• 33 ToonandGloom // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Are we going for gomis incase remy gets sent down ya think?? Just a thought!

• 34 ToonandGloom // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Can’t see Cisse leaving after the Wonga fiasco.

• 35 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

At newcastle united, the only thing we ask for is our players 2 give there 100%, and remy is an absolute quality player, reminds me of tierry henry. So I’m sure if u give your everything u will be accepted

• 36 Burni // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Just thought id share my ideal team for next season.

Krul
    Debuchy, colo, mym, santon
    Sissokho, anita
    Cabaye
    Hba cisse remy

But no doubt pards will play

Krul
    Debuchy taylor colo santon
    Hba cabaye tiote guti
    Cisse gouffran.

Ive just realised that the depth in the squad is ok atm but imo we still need a cb coz willo is not good enough. Marveaux and gouffran are both class acts but my first team I wrote is the best available imo.

• 37 Moe // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Willis @17

@GFN_France say that there is a buy out clause of €11m (or £9.5m).
    It Doesn’t make much sense to me since tbh because wasn’t his original buy out clause the same as what they paid Marseille which is around £6.5M.
    Also we paid £2M already so is that figure is gonna be on top of the 2M or with it?

but it seems that there is a buy out clause after all ..

• 38 will die for the toon army // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

If we sign Gomis, Remy and Ince, That will make my window

• 39 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

@33 toon

gomis is a different type of player to cisse/remy/goofy tbh he’s muscle on the back line and think he would suit the prem cisse/remy/goofy dont seem that strong to be the bully striker tbh.

• 40 Moe // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Remy is the most important deal for me, he adds things we lack.

As long as a player is wearing the black & white shirt he should get the full support of me.

But we shouldn’t get over excited by this and fool ourselves .. we still NEED another striker.

• 41 Toonbyblood // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Did anyone hear the rumor going around that since the Wonga deal we only take players on loan?

He he.

• 42 toon kk // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Ince deal ain’t gonna happen in this transfer window, Jk is after more experienced players.

• 43 ToonandGloom // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM

@shadow
    Totally agree, all the people who don’t want him here won’t be celebrating when he bangs in the winner against the scum a take it?? Haha yeah right. We do also know how random the board can be so wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a few more ups and downs to come before the season! HWTL

• 44 JP...from The Rock // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM

yep we have to get rid of the few dead wood still floating around the place. Obertan and Strolla should be moved on ASAP.

• 45 dembademba // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Berni

I agree with your best team but the second one (changing 2 players) is basically the team that got us fifth. all I want to see is attacking football, goals goals goals

• 46 will die for the toon army // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

My best team;
    ………………………..Krul
    Debuchy………..Mbiwa……..Colo(c)……..Santon
    …………………Tiote……..Cabaye
    …………………………Sisoko
    ….Hatem……………..Cisse……………Remy

• 47 niafron // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Bonsoir messieurs.

So what is the mood today? According to the people of this blog, will play Rémy winger or Striker?

• 48 Slank // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I’ve noticed that many fans on here have placed Remy on the left wing.

Remy is right footed and having looked at some of his goals on You Tube most were scored from the right side of the field with his right foot.

• 49 ToonandGloom // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

@croftus
    I’m with you I would also like to see Gomis here as well, ya never know we may start scoring corners with him around ha.
    A hope goofy has toughened up a bit great work rate but a thought he went down quite easy, good to come off bench.

• 50 JP...from The Rock // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I would play this fron three:

Remy—-Cisse—-HBA

I just love the look of that! :D

HWTL

• 51 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I have friends who are manchester united fans, they can’t accept a single decision going against them, they think everything should go there was like spoilt kids. Then they always brag we’re the biggest club in the world. Although I have to remind them there one of the biggest, not THE biggest. They can’t even accept that!!
    Point is the bigger they are, they harder they fall.
    I would rather be an underdog!!
    Welcome Alex!!

• 52 Newcastle Brown Alien // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Get French Football ?@GFN_France 4m

• 53 lesh // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Remy will be given a roaring welcome to SJP as will all the players, I hope.
    As far as US fans supporting the underdogs, maybe Pardew and the boys should take that on board and perform well enough to be the Prem Equivalent of Best in Show at Crufts. Woof woof the lads!!!

Rainrix, you’re presumabley aware of the Ruddy Rule? If not, look at it and act accordingly – and try to stop nit-picking Ed’s articles.

As far as showing DVDs of past Neecastle stars, don’t stop at Pedro but show one of SuperaMac to Remy, Cisse, Goouffran, Shola and Gomis when he arrives. Doing that’ll remind those guys what the goal net’s for!

There must be others that I’m sure other posters’ll have in mind.

• 54 niafron // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

@Slank

Well usually, with Marseille and the french national team, he played on the Right.

Would prefer him top front however. or at least on the left cause, on the right, would be far more difficult for him to catch Beny’s pass.

Well, fact is two year ago, i suggested it would be great to have Bény as the quaterback and Rémy as the wide receiver.

• 55 richyg01 // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I cant see us giving the No. 9 shirt to a player who is only on loan.

Rumor is, hes gonna be 14.

• 56 kevymartins // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Seems to me like we have said to Gomis fcuk you we will just sign Remy instead and i’m glad because Lyon will soon find out that no one else will pay what we where willing to pay.

Off topic I was watching a Wayne Rooney documentary there and 70% of his goals must have been scored vs us. Near every goal it showed was against Newcastle.

• 57 Slank // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

JP

I would play Ben Arfa in a free role behind Remy and Cisse.

My team would be:

Krul
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Colo – Santon
    Tiote
    Cabaye – Sissoko
    Ben Arfa
    Remy – Cisse

I’m sure that both Debuchy and Santon will, at every opportunity, get up field and support the attack.

• 58 Mister Tuff // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

moe @30 – I agree with your reading of the situation that we need another striker. Whilst getting Remy is excellent -there is still a big if about his availability if he is charged with rape and the cops/court keep him in custody – he would probably be allowed bail but it is not a guarentee.
    So just in case the worst scenario unfolds we HAVE to have at least one other new forward -if we do not and the worst scenario prevails all the euphoria about getting Remy will be destined for the bin and we will revert to our current powder puff attack. Therefore Gomis at least for me.

• 59 ToonandGloom // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

@shadow
    Me sisters bloke is a Manc and a man.u fan. God there an arrogant bunch aren’t they a don’t know if you have to learn this trait before coming a man.u fan or it just comes naturally to them but you just can’t seem to have a decent bit of quality footy banter with them.
    We have a lot of players looking to get into their countries teams for the World Cup next year. So there should hopefully be some great performances from these guys

• 60 lesh // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

richyg01… Number 14?

Unlucky for some..

Think about that in the context of a mischeavous bingo caller!

• 61 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Niafron
    Is that assuming benny plays as a number 10?

• 62 Newcastle Brown Alien // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM

says he is number 14

• 63 DokToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM

lesh…

im in the states, and i wholeheartedly have always supported the toon… anyone can buy a manure shirt, here… its easy to love a “winner”.. but for me, its NUFC… i went to the stoke city/houston dynamo match in my newcastle shirt as well.. . thers a few supporters over here… what we need is them to come back to the staes and show the US what kind of club we are…

• 64 gaz 44 // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Burni who have you put in that team that can win a header, that for me is why Saylor should be cb before yanga, sure I think yanga is prob gonna be better at ball playing and reading a game but remember this is the premier league the physical aspect is what this league sells itself on

• 65 CullysFinest // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Any fan that doesn’t accept the bloke is a tool, pace and a clinical finish up front is exactly what the team needs

Seriously who gives if he rejected first time around, he is a quality, quality player

• 66 Slank // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Gaz,

I would say that Williamson is a better header of the ball than Tailor but on all round ability I believe that Mbiwa is better.

• 67 pawl250 // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Gaz

If we go by your theory of the PL then Shola will be starting every game !!!

Please god no!

• 68 gaz 44 // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I agree that yanga will be better all round, but disagree williamsons a better header especially from set pieces he doesn’t know how to attack the ball the way saylor does, and although Taylor ain’t the fastest Williamson struggles to turn quicker than the titanic

• 69 gaz 44 // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Who in that team would beat hangeland, mertersacker, vidic, even fletcher of Sunderland, pace and flair is what the team should be built round but we need strong ball winners in the team, collo n mbwia are more ball playing centre backs

• 70 Slank // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

CullysFinest @ 65

I reckon that it took some guts (or humble pie) for Remy to come to us as he must have known that some fans would not be entirely welcoming.

I bet he got some grief from some of our French players when he decided to go to QPR.

• 71 ToonandGloom // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM

@cully
    Same mate forgive and forget, n watch the goals fly in.

It’s great when ya meet a Toon fan on ya travels I have gave away many a toon top to foreign supporters from Egypt to Mexico and even swapped tops with an inter fan who said newcastle was his 2nd team

• 72 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I would imagine we could activate remys release clause b4 the season finishes, as qpr will still be in the championship. Which will give us enough time 2 seal the deal.
    However if we leave it 2 next summer window, could be a different story. He could end up at spurs, or maybe back at qpr. So depends on his court case not being held up or adjourned.
    This is more imo. Its not something I’m 100% on.

• 73 Slank // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Gaz

Comparing Williamson and Taylor is like arguing which is the faster the tortoise or the snail !

• 74 colwell // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

If only we had offered him the same wages in Jan no doubt we would have finished in the top 10.

• 75 niafron // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:38 PM

@tads

Yes, but this is also true if he play on the left. Cause he could find deadly angles of pass when he cut inside cause he’s left footed (having a left footed guy in midfield always offer a different kind of passing).

Just look at this (1:30 on the vid):

• 76 Slank // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Shadow

I think the other French players may play a significant part in whether Remy leaves or stays with us.

I sometimes think that we underestimate the camaraderie that must exist within the group of French players. They will be trying their hardest this season in order to be picked for the World Cup, and that will include Remy.

• 77 Slank // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

colwell @ 74

We don’t know what he was offered in January and what he is now getting but I’m certain that last season would not have been so fraught if he had been playing for us.

• 78 niafron // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Got to go lads, see you…

Bonne soirée messieurs.

• 79 Rooster // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Please just pay the greedy moverfocker agent of Gomis, ma kems are hovering the sly cnuts!

• 80 clinath@ed // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM

does Remy speak English…..?

• 81 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

@GFN_France: According to BUT!, Bafetimbi Gomis wants to join Marseille, despite the player’s comments on twitter earlier. #OM #NUFC #OL

@GFN_France: Re Gomis: BUT! also claim that it has been Gomis and his agent holding up the transfer to wait for a Marseille move. #NUFC #OL #OM

@GFN_France: Re: Gomis. ‘BUT!’s’ comments do seem strange. One doubts that Gomis would say such things on Twitter and join #OM.. (1/2). #NUFC #OL

@GFN_France: Contrary to @JM_Aulas’s claims Marseille absolutely have the finances to make a move for Bafetimbi Gomis. #OM #OL #NUFC

This deal needs walking away from

• 82 rossi // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

gomis landed at newcastle airport lunch time today for medical news on signing pending

• 83 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Niafron
    So then having remy on the right and Ben arfa on the left is equally effective?

• 84 clinath@ed // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM

TADS….oh yes.

• 85 Slank // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Gomis must be in two minds whether to join us now that Remy has joined and Cisse is still firm favourite to lead the line.

• 86 clinath@ed // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM

TADS…that was to #81

• 87 ~Joke-innear~ // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~Krul~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Deb~~~Mbiwa~~~Colo~~~Santon
    ~~~Sisso~~~Cabaye~~~Marv~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~Arfa~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~Cisse~~~~~~~Remy~~~~~

• 88 G // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Been to busy to take in the party atmosphere today, delighted we have signed Remy, hope we have an option to a. bin the deal if he is charged in Sept, and b. sign him permanently end of the season (assuming scenario a. goes well)? Just out of interest, has Tudor been on here today?

• 89 Slank // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM

toonarmydownsouth @ 83

I don’t think it is equally effective.

Remy plays on the right upfront whereas Ben Arfa can play anywhere such is his ability, that’s why I would give him a free role behind Remy and Cisse.

Ben Arfa must be a nightmare to mark as he is so allusive and to have him hugging the touchline is such a waste of his talents IMHO.

• 90 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Clinath
    It just has a huge air of desperation and disappointment about it!
    Wonder if JFK has given himself a deadline to see if he can push it through or walk away and start working on other targets?

• 91 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Slank
    Not sure i agree mate
    I don’t think benny has look anywhere near effective when playing the number 10 role tbh

When he’s on the wing he has time and space to run at his opponents look for the ball he wants to play
    For the number 10 role he is simply far to greedy on the ball, he doesn’t release it in time, tries to take on to many players and eventually loses the ball
    Think Marv has look far more impressive when played there than benny

• 92 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM

gomis twitter account.

looks like he could be here in 24/48 hrs and wants to desperatly come just other people causing problems with the transfer.

• 93 WorJordi // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Just a thought here lads and lasses
    If Remy returns on bail and is charged, he has to go through the court system and providing they bail him ( no reason not to as not in London and living up in Newcastle) he pleads not guilty and it has to go to Crown Court. So by the time it goes through the court system and gets to trial it could be next March. I reckon MA took advice on this and knows he will have Remy for the major part of the season ( bar injury). So lets all smile and hope he keeps his PL form up with us this season. Oh and I reckon he is the next Thiery Henry only signed up for us on a permanent deal next season. See…. its not all doom and gloom
    HWTL

• 94 Nufc-83 // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Very excited at the prospect of Remy.

Somebody posted they thought he would be number 9 as they have a feeling Cisse is leaving – What have you been smoking Cisse looks fitter and happier as i have ever seen him and the Wonga fiasco seems fully resolved.

Also as the game tonight is not being shown anywhere on foreign TV there will be NO links and any claiming to have the game will be duds – sorry to disappoint.

• 95 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM

2 cents for Gomis: fire your agent. things could be simplified in this way if you really want to come.

• 96 Nufc-83 // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM

@91 fully agreed Benny looks so much more comfortable on the wing and Marv looks like he fits in the hole perfectly. For me Marv would be a top top player if he didn’t get lost in games so easily.

• 97 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

and it’s Geordie, not Jordy. LOL man he made me laugh at work.

• 98 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM

It has to be Lyon who are holding the Gomis deal up as they have gone public with every stage of the purposed transfer in the hope of someone else coming in with even more money as they are in serious financial trouble, but reports suggest that Olympique de Marseille have to first sell the egotistical slug Gignac in order to fund any move for Gomis and simply no one wants Gignac

• 99 clinath@ed // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM

TADS….now he’s got Remy thru the door, his stock is at it’s highest…should he walk away now, I don’t think anyone would blame him.

• 100 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Nufc-83
    Think Marv just needs a run of games, and keep himself fit, there were times last season when the fella was breathing out his ars3 at the end of 90mins!
    But think he could be a very special player this season

• 101 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Clinath
    Just hope we have more options than Bent if kinnear does pull the plug

• 102 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM

@95 pizz

i honestly dont think things are that simple tbh lol it will be written in contracts so even if he gets rid of agent now he’s still owed the money !
    and its not gomis who is paying it ! it should be ol from the transfer fee.

• 103 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Jack
    Tbh it really doesn’t matter if its Lyon, his agents, gomis, the pope or anyone else holding the deal up, it’s still held up
    If its not happening, were paying other clubs sell on fees, agents fee’s, bonuses owed to gomis etc then surely it’s time to start looking elsewhere?

• 104 King Arfa // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Rossi

How do you know he landed in Newcastle today?

• 105 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Newcastle definitely got some great exposure in the states during the 5th place season, and it spilled over into last season. The top clubs are still king over here but Newcastle are the obvious choice for us non-bandwagon types

I think if you went deeper into why that director said she likes NUFC, she would mention the passion at the club. For the most part unmatched by any other fans in the prem. We’re like the Oakland Raiders of the footballing world :)

• 106 Mister Tuff // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Worjordi @93 – I agree with you take of Remys’ potential trouble with the courts. If the worst scenario does happen and he is charged- he should get bail. It will take until the early part of next year -March onwards before the case appears for a trial at the Crown Court in London -so hopefully his appearances for the Toon should not be effected.

• 107 Rotonda heights // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Burni

You beat me to it almost word for word!!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Just thought id share my ideal team for next season.

Krul
    Debuchy, colo, mym, santon
    Sissokho, anita
    Cabaye
    Hba cisse remy

But no doubt pards will play

Krul
    Debuchy taylor colo santon
    Hba cabaye tiote guti
    Cisse gouffran.

• 108 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM

tads

Now that we Remy at the club if I was Ashley I’d be contacting Lyon and wishing them all the luck for the future and withdrawing our offer for the lad, yes I still want him at the club but at the same time they are seriously taking the p**s out of us and I honestly think that if we were to pull out of the deal they would come back to us after finding a way to make if happen in hours. They need the money we need the player but we are now in the position to force their hand by walking away

• 109 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

well that tweet from Gomis was about as direct as you get wasnt it

• 110 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Have to say tonight could be a very good game but really not sure which way the atmosphere will go
    Poor old rangers, are being put through the ringer the last couple of days and emotions could well be running high

• 111 Steven // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Remy wont be charged with .
    No doubt it will all be dropped.
    And as for him as a player he will be tremendous .
    Like to say cheers to dog face for bringing him up to speed in the EPL.
    We will see his best this season.
    Just hurry and get gomis and a winger .
    Ince or sinclair please .

• 112 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Will there be any links for tonight’s game lad???

• 113 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

This is how I see the first team with gomis

Krul
    Debs – mym – collo – santon
    Cabaye – sissoko
    Gomis
    Hba – cisse – remy

It can be either a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

And our second team

Elliot
    Anita – willo – staylor – hairdara
    Tioti – bigi
    Goffy – marveaux – guti
    Vuckic

Realistically we do have depth, and competition in the team. Two players each position.

• 114 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM

@NUFCTheMag: Could This Be Newcastle’s Final Missing Link To Follow Remy Signing? – Video Special http://t.co/An8BQ6B0sE #nufc

Good little report on ince
    Would much rather this lad than that bin dipping version of obertan we’ve been linked with

• 115 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM

• 116 BandB // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM

While I wonder at the still-unexplained compromise that was reached with Cisse over the Wonga issue, I don’t quite understand the argument that he may have to leave over finances.
    Isn’t the £2m for Remy is our upfront share of his wages (52 x £40ish)?
    Getting Harper, Perch and Simpson off the wage bill surely covers that?
    If Gomis signs, why isn’t Shola likely to leave, as was once widely expected? Gosling is just clinging on, and Obertan is looking very fringey. Would that not balance the ledger, replace some dead wood with a first team squad shorter on numbers, but with more punch off the bench?
    And with the Remy situation being what it is for now, do we not have to have both Cisse and another striker?
    I may be being naive, but a lot of the details of these deals isn’t exactly public knowledge.
    Any opinions?

• 117 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM

tads

Ince is said to have turned down a move to Cardiff as he wants to remain in the north because of his young family, if, and it’s a massive IF, we were to go in for him I think the lad would be an amazing addition to our squad and would be a massive favourite here as he offer’s all the things we love to see in a player

• 118 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

hehehe andy carroll injured again lol

• 119 isleofmanman // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Best of luck Loic

Be fearless

• 120 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM

BandB
    Well for me the cisse agreement is best left unexplained! Can’t see anyone coming off well really
    Also have no idea why we would have to or would sell him that seems highly unlikely

We do very much seem to be getting the wage bill down by selling off the fringe players and think obertan should be head of that list!
    In turn hopefully we will have freed up enough wages to bring say another 2 bodies

• 121 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM

JB
    Ince is fantastic talent and would love to see the lad here
    I think truth be told his dad had more say in the Cardiff move than him, don’t think he thought Cardiff were a big enough club, think he’d have a hard time turning down the toon :)

• 122 Marty-Toon // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM

This was an amazing game :-)
    Jonas actually had a good game but Cisse,Gouffran and Sissoko were unplayable at times

• 123 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM

BandB

Cisee has said that he decided to wear the Wonga shirt logo after a series of meetings with high standing Muslim leaders where he sought their advice and opinion.

Me, I just please that it’s all resolved and that he’s staying here as if he’s played in the right way the guy will be a goal machine for us

• 124 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Looking at the Cisse situation cynically, it could be a case of playing along until sold so not to give a buying club extra negotiating power? Don’t buy it, but it’s possible

• 125 BandB // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

TADS,

It feels a bit weird, arguing that logical things appear to be being attempted. Losing Obertan and Gosling would also also lessen the threat of inexplicable selection decisions.
    Off to be a taxi.
    Back later.

• 126 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Newton has rejoined St Mirren for the season on loan

• 127 WayAyeCabaye // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Fantastic signing, let’s hope he is cleared in September and we sign him up in Jan

• 128 JP...from The Rock // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

What I would love to see this season is for NUFC to bang in the goals from every angle. Remy was the player I wanted since December and now to finally have him is really exciting. I can see him make and score plenty of goals for us and instantly become a fan favourite.

I would love to see St James’ lit up again. I want the singing to come back, that incredible atmosphere when we were 5th and in the top 6. The hairs on the back on my neck stood to attention every time I heard ‘We’re in the top 6…we’re in the top 6, Jose Enrique we’re in the top 6!!!’ or ‘He scores when he wants..he scores when he wants, Papis Cisse he scores when he wants!!’ –luv it just luv it!

COME ON LET’S BRING BACK THE ATMOSPHERE AT ST JAMES’!! Who’s with me!???

• 129 lesh // Aug 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM

DokToon…. Good for you and others Stateside supporting the Toon.

Might I suggest an alternative to supporting underdogs as justification for doing so.

As you say, it’s easy to follow the big spenders, winners as it’s almost like joining an very wide social group – being in the mainstream, the same as many others. However, I am one of those that rebels against the mainstream.

I must say though that I was born in Newcastle and although not there now, that always has been my team.

However, and back to it, by supporting Newcastle United, you and your fellow supporters outside of the UK are part of a very special group who support through the good times and the difficult ones, of which there have been one or two!

You guys are not supporting an underdog, you are supporting Newcastle United and a member of a very close and supportive group.

As Jimmy Carter said when he visited Newcastle upon Tyne, and in his finest Georgia accent……. ‘Haway the Lads,’.

The welcoming crowd went wild at that.

• 130 Carl92 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Does anyone know if there’s going to be a stream for tonight’s game?

• 131 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Gomis deal said to be going ahead after all issues have been sorted.

* source off twitter so take with pinch of salt as I’m not an ITK ;) *

• 132 jackostoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM

No luck at finding any sites for streaming lads, they seem to be covering mostly league cup games or champion league qualifiers

• 133 WWYCD // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM

He will have to earn his applause from the toon army for me, slapped us in the face in Jan and regardless of reasons that needs to be righted. Keeps his head down, works hard and scores goals and I will cheer him

What’s all the Gomis chatter then? Likely to be next or it still a saga?

• 134 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:15 PM

WWYCD

just twitter gossip at the moment mate

• 135 ochytoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Mate of mine just dropped me a text to say we’ve been linked with Routledge. Anyone heard anything on this? Praying he’s just taking the p

• 136 Jail for Ashley // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Does anybody know if the game will be on Radio Newcastle tonight .

• 137 WWYCD // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM

JB
    Nothing new then? Seems everyone thinks he wants a move to OM yet he’s been tweeting mags on his birthday saying he wants Newcastle? We do love the complicated transfer don’t we

• 138 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Ochytoon,if my mate sent me that text my reply would contain no less than 27 swearwords.

• 139 AaranD // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Would rather spend the £8m + we would have had to spend for Gomis on maybe a winger or a tidy link up player (CAM). We have Cisse, Remy and Gouffran who can all lead the line and the latter 2 being able to play wider, though the aren’t out an out wingers.

If we do play HBA – Cisse – Remy as a front 3 we will be very narrow. Maybe a 4-3-1-2 would be good for our squad, use our full backs who are very good at bombing forward, to provide our width and use the CM’s to cover when they do.
    For this to work it relies on a lot of team work and communication and also a lot of work on the training ground. But we have the perfect team to do it.

• 140 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

WWYCD

It seems that the well respected newspapers in France are sticking with the story we’ve all been reading for days but the less reputable one’s are claiming that Gomis wants to stay in France with either OM or even remaining with Lyon, but the lad has tweeted himself that he wants to come here

• 141 paul24 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I’m sure you will give your all, and we will accept you, right up until the point you decide to bugger off some where that will give you more money. That is if you dont end up jail first :P

• 142 jackostoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Jail,
    Checked the listings and after total sport apparently its someone called Forrest playing groovy music

• 143 WWYCD // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM

JB
    Ah right so it’s the dodgy ones stating he wants to stay in Ligue 1 makes sense I suppose lets hope they are wrong

• 144 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM

No Remy tonight but new home kit gets first showing

• 145 ~Joke-innear~ // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I’m surprised Fellaini is still at Everton.

• 146 Toon1978 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Evening gents. What time is kick off and has anyone a link for the game tonight. It would be much appreciated. :)

• 147 paul24 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I took the liberty of editing his comments to show what he actually thinks, just in case anybody is being suckered into believing him :P
    “Everyone has been very friendly since I arrived and I am looking forward to playing my first match, whenever that will be.” “I only had half a season of wages last year so am looking forward to a full season of wages this time around.”

“Hopefully I can show the fans and the club and the French national team exactly what I am capable of, both with my goals and my team play, and I hope the fans wont boo me for going to QPR for more money.

“I feel the Premier League is great for my wages. The opportunities for bigger wages are better in England than they are in France.”

“I don’t necessarily know if it hurt my reputation, but I learnt a lot from my first six month relegation battle.” “I’m a player who will work hard and give my all for money in order to make more money.”

• 148 DokToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM

lesh @ 129…

i appreciate your post… i fell into supporting the club while watching epl a long time ago, was drinking with soem english friends who were able to get a bar opened at 5am to watch their club, manure… on a different tv was NUFC. amd i found out there was a beer associated with the city, so i started drinking it, and discovered that shearer was a god… and the beer was quite drinkable… end of story lol

• 149 Toon1978 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM

paul24

Very cynical BUT very true if the truth be known.

• 150 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM

right lads any links what time is game…what a difference one signing makes….

• 151 Rooster // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

JK, said the other day, they had a back up plan if something goes wrong I presume with the Gomis deal, who could that be?

• 152 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Paul
    Apparantly he’s only on about 40k so that kinda blows the went for the money theory clean out of the water
    Add to the fact the lamearse has been moved on which is rumoured to be down to incompetence, namely not actually getting his rotund effin backside down to London to actually meet remy, we left the door wide open, especially knowing that marseille had also accepted a bid from QPR

Funny dont seem to remember people labelling marveux a mercenary when we snatched him up from under Liverpool

Think you need to get over it mate

• 153 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

no lincs to game anywhere unfortunatly :-(

7.30 start

but there is lincs to lyon (no idea if gomis is playing though)

• 154 skipwallsend1977 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I know I mentioned this yesterday and some lads agreed, but I would pull the plug on Gomis deal and use the cash to buy Oscar Cardozo, he’s only a year older than Gomis now and is, IMO, far superior

• 155 croftus5678 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

@152 tads

if its remy we are talking about he’s on 75k at qpr m8 its reported on quite a lot of sites.

• 156 WWYCD // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM

toonarmydownsouth
    Who says he’s on 40k?

• 157 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Krul, Debuchy, Colo, STaylor, Santon, Tiote, Cabs, Socks, Benny, Jonas, Cisse

• 158 Toon1978 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM

skipwallsend1977

I live in WAAALLLSSSEENNDD mate lol.Can’t beat it hahaha.

• 159 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM

So no links then. Oh well….:Lee Ryder updates it is then!

No line up yet? Doesn’t it kick off in 45 minutes?

• 160 yo-yo // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM

The rumour is that Everton are after Kets favourite Toby . Surprised he didn’t concentrate on pulling Belgians..

• 161 Kris // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Dosn’t a link to the game exsist? :(

Can Remy play tonight? Does someone knows if he has linked up with the team?

• 162 IITianToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM

#nufc v Rangers Krul; Debuchy, Coloccini (c), S.Taylor, Santon; Tiote, Cabaye; Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Gutierrez; Cissé.

• 163 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM

@eleegil: @MS_Officiel wot do u think ov this wor number 7 http://t.co/Y8v2gtnpYF

@Sammy_Ameobi: Game time #nufc http://t.co/8k23JYr1X1

@NUFCOfficial: #NUFC (4-2-3-1): Krul; Debuchy, Coloccini (c), S.Taylor, Santon; Tiote, Cabaye; Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Gutierrez; Cissé.

Still a bloody 4-2-3-1 a still starting bloody Taylor ffs!

• 164 Ibizatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Ok, so people don’t think I’ve lost the plot, I wrote post 159 on my laptop, internet died, then went on my phone, saw the line up and then posted it, only for my normal internet to start working and make the original post. So yeah, not lost the plot :)

Apparently it’s a 4-2-3-1 for you formation nuts.

• 165 JackButler // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

#NUFC team: Krul; Debechy, Coloccini, Taylor, Santon; Tiote, Cabaye; Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Gutierrez; Cisse. #NUFC

• 166 Rooster // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Skip, Cardozo is a class act, JK`S back up plan maybe?? I did not realise Cardozo was still at Benfica!

Age wise no problem with Cardozo either, there fit as lops at 30 these days pro footballers, get three years out of the lad no problem.

• 167 swisstone // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM

A lot of criticism of Jonas on this blog which is completely unnecessary in my book.

Poor attitude should be criticised yes, but thats not something you could ever accuse of him.

If he gets picked what do u expect him to say ‘no gaffer i’ll give it a miss’.

His performances have been poor of late but he gives his all for the club and has done since he arrived and i think that deserves some respect.

• 168 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM

We should make a move for Kagawa and Hernandez. Think they’ll be persuaded to sign for a bigger club.

• 169 Rooster // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Jonas in again, no Campbell in the subs but still Sammy gets in, Strong team Gouffran 99.9 per cent every time for me over Jonas, strong team on paper and the team that will prob start first game of the season if no one else comes in.

YES a friendly maybe, but as close as you like to the starting 11 v Man City

I still cant understand how a player with no assists last season gets in time and time again, mr Pardew give your head a shake he offers nowt going forward Jonas.

• 170 SeanNufc87 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Im assuming tads is refering to the fact that Harry saggy chops said 2 million a year is what it would cost for him, which equates to around 40k a week or just under.

• 171 Rooster // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Swiss, with respect, I will get Mo Farrah to play in the team if you want someone to run up and down all game fall over at virtually every opportunity frustrate the hell out of our supporters and then offer next to nothing going forward, a wide man not as long as any of us have a hollow in our backsides.

• 172 WayAyeCabaye // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Jonas is the hardest working player on the team and he gets nothing but abuse on here! Baffled

• 173 Rooster // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Wayaye, hard work, so what , there is no product coming from the fella, NO ASSISTS IN 38 league games, enough is enough, run fall over free kick, stops the fluency of any of our play the way he plays, sorry but he winds me up five times as much as Shola ever has and that is saying something

Yea I know he will make a goal tonight or score, so what!

• 174 paul24 // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

@toonarmydownsouth

It was a joke mate, though a lot of points are true, it was just for a laugh :P

previous post: Loic Remy Gives First Interview To nufcTV