The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Could Be The Hold-Up With Newcastle’s Gomis Deal

12:23 am, Tuesday, August 6th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 177 Comments

Newcastle Director of Football Joe Kinnear told us yesterday that the Gomis deal was a problem, because of add-ons that kept coming up …. and other problems.

bafetimbi gomis - pink

Bafe Gomis – personal disagreement with Lyon

This is specifically what Kinnear said to Sky Sports yesterday:

“The Gomis deal was agreed on numerous occasions, but it’s a very difficult situation because there’s always extra add-ons, extra things, another problem.”

That’s a strange way to talk about a transfer - extra things, another problem.

The reporting in France was that there were two things holding up the deal to get Gomis to Newcastle.

• Newcastle were negotiating what to pay the many Gomis representatives
  • Who would pay the 5% sell=on fee to his previous club St. Etienne?

However there was a report published in The Times on Monday afternoon, which suggests the hold-up is a personal one between Gomis and Lyon.

The Frenchman is apparently due 5% of any transfer fee (about £340K), but the report is that Lyon think that payment is null and void, because Gomis was involved in a sex scandal while at Lyon.

The alleged offense happened in January of 2012, when the Lyon striker was implicated in the (alleged) sexual assault of a 38-year-old woman, but just like Loic Remy in May of this year, Gomis said he was innocent of the charge.

But as so often happens in these cases, the player was never charged for the offense, so legally he did nothing wrong, but his club are claiming that Gomis arrest on suspicion of being involved in the gang rape, brought damage to the brand and image of Olympique Lyonnais.

That seems a difficult charge to make stand legally, since Gomis was never charged with any crime, and it seems that Lyon are jumping through hoops in order to save money.

Joe Kinnear hinted yesterday that Lyon had raised their price several times, after Newcastle thought they had an agreement, and Joe did say there were problems with the deal.

So Joe was savvy enough not to mention this alleged rape case.

And of course, it’s not surprising that Gomis’ agents do not agree with Lyon on this matter, but maybe this is why Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas said that it could take up to eight days to sort this out.

So it could well be that this is what is really holding up the deal, and once again it’s nothing to do with Newcastle

Joe Kinnear is having a baptism of fire in his new job, but Newcastle did have a massive breakthrough yesterday, when Joe was able to sign Loic Remy on a season long loan deal, even though other clubs wanted the 18 times capped French International.

And that deal will give Joe and Newcastle some breathing space, and we can wait a little bit until Lyon sort out this thing with their player, always assuming the report is accurate.

But to end on a good note – Remy is a massively important signing this summer for Newcastle United.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

177 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sazzer // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM

JP…from The Rock
    Mertens have joined Napoli. I agree, all quality players,

In terms of price I think it’s like this:
    1. Boudebouz (one year left of contract)
    2. Sinclair (on high wages)
    3. Wijnaldum
    4. Ince
    5. Menez (high wages)

• 2 CruzToonSlug // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Sounds likely its a combination of both.

As for the Remy signage, as noted, seems to set the starting 11 nicely.

I would assume Gomis is cover for Cisse and when its 4-4-2. Goofy gives nice depth behind Remy and Marv can cover for Ben10.

With Gomis might be the deepest toon team in a decade….thoughts?

• 3 CullysFinest // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I don’t see why a player as talented as Marveaux is not being solidified as first choice left winger by many Newcastle fans…

Incredibly contradictory – We need a left winger, either to replace Jonas as a back up winger (pray to lord he is not first choice left sided player come Aug 19th) or too heavily compete with Marveaux for the left wing spot

-Ince available for £8m, i think blackpool could be tempted by £7m
    -Sinclair who is currently defining the term available at the moment should be snapped up for anything between £5m and £6.5m
    -Mentioned has been Downing, past it IMO £3m tops and a squad player at best

• 4 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Great to see Remy signed up. Just hope he’s not employed to chase balls knocked long and aimlessly all game. That can get very frustrating as a player.

Good signing nevertheless. Couple more now please.

• 5 Robby Bobson // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM

CullysFinest – i rate marveaux so highly, would love to see him in the hole though not LM and drop Sissoko back into DM.

I think his ball control and vision is so underrated. Remember cisses last minute goal vs Stoke, if Juan Mata had played that ball to Cisse if would have been talked about for months.

• 6 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM

cruz i feel marv might be sold don’t ask me why lol i just have a feeling
    and i agree gomis will be cover but i feel with the squad we might have there’ll be many different combos which is never a bad thing?

• 7 FatmanJoe // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Can’t see how this is the case. Yesterday the Lyon president was saying that he had absolutely nothing against Gomis’ character and instead the move was motivated by money.

• 8 jimmysmith // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I think wages are an issue at almost all clubs and certainly at Newcastle. I was surprised at the signing of Remy because of the money he was on at QPR and wonder how much room we have in our wage structure for another high earner. Gomis I think could come in but beyond that we’d be shelling out more than I would ever have expected under Ash.

• 9 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:56 AM

cully because every game he’s played lw he’s been shocking infact looked totally lost lol
    up the middle he’s looked great but again its been stop n start for him

• 10 ramajama // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Any news on whether we have a view to permanent deal with Remy or any similar clauses?

• 11 FatmanJoe // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I think that having Simpson, Harper, Perch and probably Gosling, Romain and Shola off the wage list will mean that NUFC can afford to pay slightly higher wages but I was also surprised we brought in Remy – he originally chose QPR over us because of the wages being offered so how are we suddenly able to pay that kind of money?

• 12 james589 // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Great to see Rémy sign and hopefully we can also get Gomis over the line to really bolster our attacking options.

On the Downing front, personally I’ve never rated him; so one footed it’s untrue (more than once I’ve seen him turn 90° left 3 times instead of turning right), and he’s getting on. If we’re willing to spend £5m on him, we should add an extra £2-3m to get Ince who is undoubtedly a future star and who would probably also command a lower wage.

In any case, 2 strikers and a winger in would be amazing. At least Kinnear’s has shown he’s not completely incompetent by getting the Rémy deal wrapped up.

• 13 Scouse_geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I think marv actually wants to play Central. I think he said that’s his best position.

• 14 Ashton // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM

We don’t need Gomis. We have two strikers who are better and the same age as him. He will want a regular place in our team because he is in his prime and it’s a world cup year, but we can’t do that because we already have Cisse and Remy.

He is not the type of striker we need. Cisse is a better finisher and he is also better at linking up the play. Remy is better in the air and a lot faster than Gomis.

Signing Gomis will disrupt the team moral because he won’t be happy being our 3rd choice striker perhaps even 4th after Gouffran.

For ~8m we can do a lot better. We should look for a promising young striker who can add something different to our team.

• 15 FatmanJoe // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I’ve never rated Downing. A few moments of pure class in a career of what, ten plus seasons!? Not good enough really. He wouldn’t start for us which means he would be limited to sub appearances – would he really leave the bench in liverpool for the bench in newcastle?

• 16 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:03 AM

jimmy i’m shocked with the remy deal too because we must be paying the large % of his wages plus 2mill!!!
    but a player like ince can’t be on much at blackpool i know its a high price at 8 mill but if we send ober n gos the other way could settle it can ya tell i’m hoping here!? :)

• 17 lukes26 // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Good article.

Carr and Kinnear must really like Gomis since he’s 28 and we’ll end up paying much much more to sign him than Bent.

• 18 CullysFinest // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM

i agree marveaux’s best position is attacking midfield but he will struggle to get a game there, too much competition, where he is a natural left midfielder, the only in the team by my reckoning?

with pardew in charge, we will see obertan playing attacking midfield before marveaux this season

• 19 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:08 AM

has anyone actually seen the interview wit remy?

• 20 Sazzer // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Feel free to transcribe the best or the worst parts.

• 21 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:13 AM

We’ve got Gouffy that id rather play on the left than Marv. would prefer Marv as a number 10. We’ve got so man attacking options it is hard to pick a team now.

I’d like to see a 433, having Cisse in the middle with Remy and Ben Arfa on the wings.

This would sadly mean that both Gouffy and Marv would be on the bench.

• 22 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Pleasantly surprised with the Remy deal, though someone tried to claim that I said we would sign no one, I have to clarify that I never said that.

I said that a) the signings are too late and b) it wouldn’t really matter who we sign as Pards will c*ck it up anyway.

Never mind that though, Remy is a very good player.

• 23 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Luke

Sadly? It would finally mean a little bit of competition for attacking places, something we’ve not had for a long long time.

• 24 the velvet fiddler // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM

wanked over remy

• 25 FatmanJoe // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM

It’s weird how one signing can really change the mood on here. I personally think we’re still missing at least one attack minded player but I was over the moon with Remy. Should be perfect for us.

• 26 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM

sazzer it was a genuine question i’m afraid lol i was just hoping someone could shed some light
    pissed me of that nufc site said keep tuned for continued updates through the nite then showed that the video was up but press play and low n behold you have to pay for it!!
    shouldn’t have been surprised really lol

• 27 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Ruddy

A strange choice of words i know..

Competition is always good, as a left back myself I’ve never really found it at clubs I’ve been at which is a shame and Newcastle has certainly missed it where a couple of excellent players are fighting for the same position.

I’m just big fans of both and I hope they don’t get too sick of being on the bench as i’d hate to see them leave the club.

• 28 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM

ruddy your 1st post of the nite is picking a fight with someone!
    the same today you were on and arguments ensued just leave it like! no one really gives a shite about wat was said here or there!
    we’ve signed a top player who excites me and many others for the new season!!

• 29 Carl92 // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:28 AM

The thing is we have been crying out for a player like Gomis for ages. Cisse cant hold the ball up nor is he a good football player, hes a goal scorer. Whereas Gomis can do both and score goals. I think Remy, Gomis and Cisse is such a good group of strikers, they all have there own traits to complement each other.

• 30 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:30 AM

the most annoying thing is the squad we assembled since january really should have been last summer wat a season we could’ve had especially in europe n the cups but hey new start now lets see wat we can do?

• 31 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Manx

Picking a fight with someone? I think you have a warped perception when you read my posts. Go to bed little boy.

• 32 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Carl

I would have agreed with you at the start of last season, but watching him as the season went on, he progressed really well and became much better at holding the ball up. A lot of the problem was that he’d get passed the ball, hold it up and find that none of the midfield were bothering to move and help him up.

He was on his own up top, receiving the ball and had no options to pass to.

• 33 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Luke

If Pardew employs a sensible rotation policy hopefully they all get plenty of playing time and are able to keep each other on their toes, something we’ve been sorely lacking in previous seasons.

I must admit that even though I am critical of the owner, DOF and manager, I still want to see our club succeed.

• 34 DevonToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I hope we sign remy the second he is officially cleared of rape, a loans better than nothing like. Remy’s a top player when he puts his mind to it. OM wanted 20mil a few years ago for him. Just that one signing gives us so many options if everyones fit, id like….
    Gk Krul
    Rb debs
    Cb maps
    Cb colo
    Lb stoon
    Dlp cabs
    Dm socks
    Cam marv
    Rw beny
    St cisse
    Rw remy
    Elliot, taylor, haidara, tiote, anita, guti, goofy,

• 35 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Ruddy

Yeah well hopefully he can get that right, I think that will be one of the hardest things for him this season.

I just wish we had this problem last season with all the extra matches we had.

I am optimistic for the coming season and though I’m against MA and JFK, I do have some faith left in Pards, though that is limited for this season. He’s really got to kick himself and team right up the arse

• 36 Carl92 // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Luke r

I have to agree last season no player got beyond the ball other than Cisse, it was difficult for him. But I just think it would be a pleasant change having 3 top strikers at the club. Nothing better than proper competition for places.

• 37 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Luke

Well MA clearly made a massive mistake and by doing so he set the club back a number of years in our pursuit of being a top 6 club regularly.

Until MA sells up and takes Pardew with him we’ll never consistently see the football we want. We’ve just got to hope that Pards lets go of the reigns every now and then and lets this fine collection of footballers play every now and then instead of grinding a 1-0 or clinging to a draw.

• 38 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM

ruddy

“though someone tried to claim that I said we would sign no one, I have to clarify that I never said that.”

thats an invitation fella and ya dragging up something that has been cleared ages ago!
    and again you call me a “little boy” but surely thats an insult isn’t it ruddy??
    but you don’t do that do ya ruddy?
    ya a walking contradiction ruddy simple as really and every day you prove it! (imo)

• 39 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM

oh i forgot “behave”!! :)

• 40 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Carl

Oh no definatly, and theres certainly better players then cisse at holding the ball up, he needs to be in the box with wingers creating chances for him. I was just very pleasently suprised at how well he’d developed as a footballer and not just a goal scorer.

And we need another striker like Gomis, who is similar to Cisse who will fight for that place

• 41 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Manx

Little boy is an insult now? Wonders never cease as to the levels you will go to in order to try and catch me out, yet you consistently fail.

You’re coming across as pathetic and petty, it doesn’t really bother me, I don’t need to try and undermine you as you do that yourself. You have a go at me for starting arguments when it was you who started this one! And supposedly I am the one who contradicts himself?

The irony is too delicious.

• 42 Carl92 // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM

luke

100% agree. Lets just hope by next week we’l have our man. I don’t mind being patient in the transfer windows if this is the sort of business we are going to do. Maybe a cheeky winger and versatile defender as well. That might be greedy though.

• 43 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:51 AM

luke its really good you’ve got some hope left in pardew i think he is a good manager and the 5th finish n other times before he has proved that and he has come out recently n said he’s made mistakes and is determined to rectify them and the squad we’ve got now with no europe we really can concentrate on each game
    i feel a good season coming and hopefully keep quite the moaners lol

• 44 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Ruddy

MA can go. I’d beg if I ever met him. But Pards deserves this season or at least a fair portion of it. With the footballers he has at the club, they should be playing good football like they did the season before last under Pards.

I refuse to just say get rid as he’s got the club playing some excellent football in the past

• 45 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Carl

If our only other business was Scott Sinclair, I’d be inclined to forget the length of time it had taken to get them in.

• 46 Yohan Kebab // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

i think i may be alone in thinking our squad actually has enough depth at present for a season with no european competition, we have cisse, remy, gouffran, shola, campbell who can all play striker

• 47 potski // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Luke.r

We will play 4-2-3-1. It is clear that is Pardew’s preferred formation.

I think I would currently go with at home:

. Cabs – Sissoko
    Remy – Marv – Gouffie
    . Cisse

Plenty of pace wide. Bye bye Obertan and Shola. Gomis and HBA as impact subs.

• 48 Carl92 // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Ruddy

Yeah, winger and one more striker would be fine for me. I think our first 11 is quality its just keeping them fit. Btw hopefully no outgoings.

• 49 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Luke

This is where I disagree. I don’t think he’s ever got us playing truly fluid football, the kind of football these players are capable of, nor will he ever. However, these players are simply too good to not be able to play some form of pass and move football.

With a better manager these players would play sensationally well, alas we won’t see the true potential, but let’s hope it is still pleasing enough on the eye and gets a few results.

• 50 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM

no ruddy have a look again i never insulted you but AGAIN you replied to me with a “petty” and offensive insult! so where’s the irony fella?
    please tell me?
    or are you still wanking off on your “personal” reply of ed?

• 51 Yohan Kebab // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM

krul
    debuchy mbiwa colo santon
    cabaye anita
    hba sissoko remy
    cisse

anita covering the fullbacks

booyah what a team

• 52 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Carl

With an added winger, this would free up Gouffran or Remy to play up top. I’d be surprised if the club kept Cisse, Remy, Gouffran, Shola and then sign Gomis without selling someone as we’d have a lot of options there.

• 53 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM

carl and manxpie

I think we have done well, though we have taken our time, our targets haven’t been bid on by other teams which has let us be patient and make the proper deals.

Remy was always going to take ages because of the legal implications and there appears to be a lot of stuff going wrong with Gomis and Lyon’s owner who i can’t stand!

I’m a big fan of Sinclair and he’d be cheap, young and has proven he’s got what it takes in the prem.

As for a defender, alderweireld would be perfect (because he’s Belgium and that means he is amazing at football). He would probably walk straight into the team as well and we could FINALLY get rid of Wilo whos been a championship player from the time we bought him.

Potski
    Can see us playing 4231 and i dont mind that either, would be happy to switch between that and 433 and long as we never go back to 442 ever again.

Ruddy

well I do disagree, at times I thought we were playing great passing football. Not as much as I’d like to see but we deserved to be pushing high up the league. 5th was a bit too flattering though..

There are better managers but i can’t think of any that would come to us

• 54 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:03 AM

look again ruddy i never insulted you at all but you replied with a “petty” n offensive response so please tell me where’s the irony fella?
    and tell me in any situation where you call an adult a little boy ain’t gonna get ya an angry response or a broken nose?
    “behave”!!

• 55 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Manx

You’re a very angry person aren’t you? Without even intending to do so or trying to do so, I just grind your gears don’t I? I’m in your head, whereas you’re an insignificant blip in mine.

I’ve already given you more air time than you deserve because frankly you offer damn all in the way of insightful conversation.

Btw, I never said I don’t insult people, I just happen to think that if you’re going to insult someone, do it properly and with wit, not just by using the words “w@nker”

Makes you look like a little boy…

• 56 Carl92 // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Ruddy

I honestly think Gouffran has hit his peak and we wont see much more out of him than what we did last season. Not saying he’s bad, just think he isn’t a 10-15 goal a season striker. As for Ameobi, I like the bloke but he really is useless. Sounds harsh I know. That’s why I think we still need one more. I’d also send Campbell out on loan he needs some experience, goals and confidence.

• 57 potski // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Aye lads behave. Both of you.

Manx: his first post wasn’t picking a fight, just answering point made in earlier thread.

Ruddy: little boy will get him angry. I think you are smart enough to know that.

• 58 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM

aye luke i agree but to be honest i’d prefer ince he’s young with great potential and hungry and hasn’t actually touched the high life that sinclair has for doin absolute nowt for a year
    and i seen someone post the other day the likes of man u n chelsea n such haven’t made a big signing yet i.e the bigger deals happen later on (infact there were reports today wenger said they’d start the season with no new signings)

• 59 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Manx

I’ve never seen Ince play so I don’t want to pass judgement. I’ve been told at times he’s looked better than Zaha but since no one has moved in for him you do have to wonder and I have heard mixed reviews at times. If we got him i wouldn’t be complaining anyway as he does have a big reputation

• 60 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM

potski cheers but if you read the threads today you’ll notice a pattern thats all i’m saying lol
    but i understand wat ya saying
    btw ruddy i ain’t an angry person at all but the fact you think your so intelligent and superior does annoy me!
    so i choose to pick out your contradictions and down right arsiness!!
    now just look at ya last post and it might become clear!
    you and rotonda are 1 and the same apart from rotonda actually talks more about footy

• 61 potski // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Personally I don’t see us signing a winger.

I think Kinnear’s other area on the pitch to strengthen is right back. I think he might bring in Bardsley on a free, as a tough RB who will be up for a scrap in a tough nice.

If Pardew wants a defence that will defend:

Bardsley – Saylor – Collo – Mbiwa

Not saying I agree with that, just could see it as something he would want as an option. If you want attacking FBs then:

Debs – Mbiwa – Collo – Santon

• 62 potski // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Scrap in a tough “game”

• 63 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Manx

You targeted me so I went out of my way to insult you. I don’t think I am superior to anyone and yes I am intelligent, is that such a crime?

I talk a lot about football, people such as yourself have such an issue with what I say about football that you begin arguments over it.

You claim I don’t discuss football, but the last number of arguments we’ve had have been about football!

But the day I trip over myself, contradict myself, or fall into a trap of your design will be a very bleak day for me.

Btw, I’m all too aware that I am being patronising, this is purely because I do not like you.

• 64 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I had the feeling the other area he was going to dip into was another goalkeeper. We could probably do with another though i think theres a few places that could be strengthened first.

• 65 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:30 AM

aye luke i see wat ya mean but he certainly has summit and as he’s n out n out winger i think he’s worth the gamble plus he’s got the legend of his dad over him who won’t let him step out of line i think he’s got a big future but at the end of the day i think sinclair cud do the same on the pitch but i question his overall attitude and worth
    what’d you pick as your startin line up n subs as of now for city?

• 66 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Ruddy are you at it again man

Why don’t you just play nice ;) ;) ;)

• 67 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:34 AM

watever ruddy you’ve already contradicted yaself and called yaself intelligent or is that a contradiction!!?????
    mmmmmmmmm

• 68 potski // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Manx

The only pattern I’ve seen is the much better atmosphere on the blog from lunch time yesterday. The troll has been banned and hopefully he is gone for good.

So you and Ruddy can argue about FOOTBALL without the interruptions of a sad (probably) Maccem WUM.

• 69 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:37 AM

btw ruddy was that your opinion?
    its just you didn’t say??
    or are you contradicting yaself AGAIN!

• 70 Tommyy // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Reading this blog inspires visions of a text based, overly football orientated, angrily futile, and emotionally charged version of the Sims PC game. It really is gripping when you take a step back and put the entire scenario into some sort of real world context.

• 71 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Manx
    the city game is a really hard one as we need to defend or they will absolutely kill us.

I’d play 4231 to give us cover at the back. But my biggest problem is defence.

GK-Krul
    RB-Debuchy
    CB-Saylor
    CB-Colo
    LB-M’biwa

I’m sure many would disagree but Ive not seen anything from M’biwa to show me hes ready for the prem at CB and against City we need experience there.

DM-Cabaye
    DM-tiote

Again Im sure many will disagree but we need tiote’s strength to deal with Toure or their midfield will walk all over us. Sissoko is massive but looked a bit scared to go in for a big tackle last season.

RW-HBA
    ST-Cisse
    LWRemy.

Subs- Elliott, Santon, Wilo, Anita, Gouffy, Marv, Gomis
    That would give us a chance to defend and maybe nick 1 or 2 goals. And thats also a very good subs bench as well

• 72 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Manx
    what are your views on that team and who would you have in yours?

• 73 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Oh sorry and Sissoko behind Cisse, I am not saying we put out a team of 10 haha

• 74 count // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Ruddy

I almost made my peace with you the other night. If you keep up with this “little boy” sh!te you will go rapidly down again in my estimation.

It’s such a fu<k!ng pathetic way to go on and it certainly doesn't do you any favours or give you any credibility.
    Does it seriously feel like you have got one over on him by calling him little boy?

• 75 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Tommyy
    Sad part is, we are all fellow Newcastle fans. I’ve said nicer things to criminals

• 76 FatmanJoe // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Lol tommy. The arguments on here are really bizarre at times! They can start from nothing and go on forever.

It can often be amusing but sometimes verges on the tedious side.

I don’t know how someone who gets into Internet arguments with strangers can consider themselves patronising. Patronising suggests a superior view or standpoint and that can never really be the case sat behind a keyboard.

But in other news we’ve signed a decent player so we should all be smiling.

• 77 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM

luke.r

If he was still with us I’m sure Perch would play in Tiote’s spot. But without him we don’t have much choice – Anita can’t contend with Toure.

Let’s just pray Tiote doesn’t give away half a dozen FK’s near the box

• 78 count // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM

TOMMY
    haha! Couldn’t agree more.

• 79 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:51 AM

potski you must have missed today then when it was an optimistic morning then ruddy comes on and arguments start kicking of then ED puts in a report system then quickly takes it off i am all for a positive blog and have seriously refrained from using it recently because of the negativity by posters of recent times and we all know who they are!
    but ruddy has so far told people his thoughts then says peoples responses to them thoughts are either spelt wrong or worded wrong or offer such nuggets like…

“I’ve already given you more air time than you deserve because frankly you offer damn all in the way of insightful conversation”

there’s arrogance then there is this knob!
    but i assure you i offer more than just arguing with him lol

• 80 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:55 AM

89norcal

I thought perch was our player of the season, the one just gone, he was our most consistent player, absolutely gutted he’s gone.

Yeah gotta hope Tiote picks up his form and doesn’t just kick out. And actually passes the ball. He was great the season before last. We need him to play like that again.

• 81 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:56 AM

manx

I remember someone fronting a wager on who would be the first negative nelly this morning.

So Rudds, was it you? :)

• 82 FatmanJoe // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Someone suggested Bardsley earlier as back up to debuchy… No no no no – you only consider signing someone from the mackems if they add proper quality to our team and I don’t think they’ve had a player like that in years. There are many more rb options than signing him.

Geez we’d be a laughing stock in their eyes if we bought a player not good enough for their starting 11.

• 83 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:58 AM

luke.r
    I agree, highly underrated and really surprised he left for the paltry fee being reported.

I’m really unsure about Tiote. If we get worked in the midfield his frustration is going to get the best of him. But I do remember us controlling the midfield well last time we played, though we lost.

• 84 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:00 AM

*last time we played City. Think it was the first match last season because we got rocked on the reverse fixture didnt we

• 85 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:03 AM

We’re not great at selling smaller players. Enrique, though not a small player I know, went for the same price as we bought him, suggesting he made no progress at the club at all. He’s one of the best left backs in the prem!

I’m the same, Tiote is too much of a reliability and we dont have a powerful replacement, Diame from West Ham would be a good shout I think.

Even in that great season Tiote had, he still got too many cards. We should never have gotten rid on Guthrie, he really bossed the midfield when he played, and he could pass and tackle. An excellent player!

• 86 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:04 AM

i agree wit mbwia for me against arsenal that was the best lb performance i’ve seen in along time and i also like staylor and i think he gets unwarrented dogs abuse on here
    but santon i believe will be a star and will be interesting if he does move up to the wing
    4-2-3 is interesting but worrying :)
    mine would be
    debs-saylor-colo-mbwia
    siss—tiote—cabeye
    arfa–cisse—remy

n subs
    gouff
    vuckic
    marv
    willo
    anita
    gomis??????

• 87 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:09 AM

haha 89 nah surprisingly it was beattie this evening saying he didn’t expect remy to sign but it doesn’t matter because pardews in charge!!
    my money was on rotonda or catchy making a shock appearence :e

• 88 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM

I was looking at the formation thinking somethings missing haha

I think Santon could be great, but he needs so much defensive work. Nasri ruined him last season, him and debuchy have no positioning what so ever. Though Santon improved last year and I can only see him improving again this time round. And I love hearing him talk about Newcastle, hes a great lad.

I do think 433 could leave us exposed and City would control the midfield if we did that. And yeah im assuming we get gomis lol

• 89 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM

sorry i should have put surprisingly in inverted comma’s there!

• 90 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Yeah Guthrie, though underwhelming at times is someone I would take over an out of form Tiote. Cheick is a double edged sword if there ever was one.

@manx
    was fully expecting catchy to bang on about how we got a good player and Pards will waste him with hoofball. He seems to be less active nowadays though.

• 91 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:14 AM

luke.r

Now that we are targeting wingers and have Remy, it seems the notion of converting Santon to a winger has been dashed. At least for the moment.

So I definitely hope they are bashing his defensive responsibilities in his head. We definitely got opened up a many times on the left last season

Debuchy may not be the perfect fullback but he does a solid job as long as he doesn’t lose his temper. Him and Cabaye seem to be short of it!

• 92 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:19 AM

there’s me havin ago and i missed santon of the bench lol
    but i think we’ll have a go at city away on the 1st game then change if where winning i suppose we’ll see pretty much tomorra wat kinda team we’ll be startin?

• 93 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Norcal

too be fair I’ve only ever heard of Santon being pushed to the wing by people on here. I have the feeling Pards only wants him as a full back.

I think this might be the season for Debuchy, I don’t think hes as solid as you say. I saw him sprinted passed too many times than I’d like to see but I think as he’s settled now, he will do just fine. Was so impressed with him in the Euro’s when we were first linked with him so I have faith for now.

But yeah him and Cabs are a bit bad tempered. Noticed Cisse’s got a bit like that now as well. team needs to calm down and play some football!!

• 94 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:23 AM

haha rather someone missing from the bench than the first 11!

Yeah i would have thought this game and the one against braga is it? is going to include whats most likely our formation and starting 11. Absolutely gutted its not on the tele again!

• 95 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:24 AM

89norcal aye catchy is someone i don’t miss lol but i’m sure he’ll be back at the city game lol
    on the debuchy n cabeye tempremants i did find it funny that ben arfa was the one usually breakin it up :)

• 96 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:32 AM

haha true luke 1-0 to me then!
    is it not again?
    u’d think at a club the size of this they’d employ a a couple of cameramen to shoot it and then sell it for a few quid on there site they’d probably make a tidy sum for pre-season with us all bein starved and half mental with no footy ashley’s missing a trick like!

• 97 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:34 AM

luke.r
    Apparently Santon started as a winger in youth. And in my eyes he has all the qualities of a potential threat and would have been infinitely better than Jonas last season.

Debuchy has looked best to me in France’s recent friendlies though as a whole France have been poor.

@manx
    I used to bicker with check and catchy but now I just have a laugh at their broken “PARDEW OUT!” record.

• 98 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:37 AM

touche my friend!
    According to nufc.com there are no showings here or abroad.
    I know everton had done like a 10 pound deal on their site where you get to see every game they play. Slightly different as their in a massive tournement in America was the likes of Real and Juve but i just need some toon football!!!

• 99 manxpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:42 AM

anyways i’ve just realised the time damn u ruddy!!! :)

wat norcal they want pardew out!!!!?
    i’d have never known :)

nite lads hope gomis is tomorra!

• 100 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:43 AM

lol ikr. Take care manx

• 101 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Ahh i didn’t know that. i’d like to see him on the wing though I have seen him have some problems running at players at times but i think thats more confidence. hes got an absolute ping of a shot on him and a cracking cross to boot.

God, Downing is better than Jonas and that is saying something!

• 102 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Yeah, when Santon does get the odd sight of goal his attempts aren’t bad.

May not take the PL by storm with his pace but he would be a great pure winger option.

Dont think we should bother with Downing. Better than Jonas but rather see the cash elsewhere. Unless he’s under 3 or 4m. . How cheeky would that be on the scousers :p

• 103 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Count

Walk your own path, I really don’t care if you like me or not.

Manx

You keep saying I contradict myself, yet don’t really point anything out.

The rest of you, I’m actually not that confrontational, and I do like a good old football barny, but little spats like this keep getting in the way.

Anyway, I’m off to bed

• 104 luke.r // Aug 6, 2013 at 3:59 AM

haha id love to get him on the absolute cheap just to piss my scouse friend off but other than that we really should shop else where. I’m off as well so night all! Was nice to actually have a real talk about football with real opinions for once! For a moment i thought i was on a real football blog!

• 105 89Norcal // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:05 AM

Yeah more reason for them to be bitter lol. take care luke

• 106 Novocastrian66 // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:55 AM

If we’re looking for a back up right back, we could do worse than the young lad playing for Burnley, Kieran Trippier. Better option than Bardsley.

• 107 Toon73 // Aug 6, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Wake up ya Geordie mugs it’s nearly 4pm here ! ;)

• 108 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Toon…where are you in the world?

…Asia, Australia? :)

• 109 sparky55 // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:03 AM

BEWARE apparent gifts from LFC…If we get Downing for 5 million it’s for a reason

• 110 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Sparky…they can keep their gift and they can keep Downing ;)

• 111 valle // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:13 AM

No thanks to Downing, I would agree that sinclair and Ince seem the better options, most of all because they have something we dearly lack… Pace.

• 112 sparky55 // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM

lemon crew…too right mate…but if he turns up in black and white for 5 million u can bet your bottom dollar someone’s going in the other direction…we’re hardly bessie mates at he minute are we??

• 113 jackostoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Remy signs and the sun comes out, what a beautiful morning, morning everyone

• 114 lesh // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Yesterdays Guardian had a little article about Arsenal’s bid for Suarez and Wenger’s public comments about wanting to sign the player.

According to Rogers, Arsenal are showing no class in making their interest public.

Livepool accusing another club of lacing class in making their interest public? That, from Liverpool, priceless!
    This little spat between Ruddy and Manx reminds me of a situation in the Percy, pre match.
    “Hey, you, fat mouth.”

” Taaking to me pal? Ah haven’t got a fat mouth”

Thwack!!
    C’mon guys, give it a break and restore a bit peace on the blog. If not, it’ll be bed, early and no supper or story.

• 115 prashanth // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:27 AM

yus! Remy in…. I remember Torq posting on a prev thread with these exact words ‘one down to go’… Exciteddddd!!!

• 116 prashanth // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:27 AM

‘one down, two to go’ (stupid laptop)

• 117 IITianToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Morning Jesper.. good day yesterday wasnt it?

DOnt you think if Gomis arrives too, there would be too much of an overload :P

Do you think Pards will go for this starting XI against City:
    Krul
    Debuchy–Colo–Mbiwa–Santon
    Cabaye–Tiote
    HBA(switch flank)–Sissoko–Remy(switch flank)
    Cisse
    Subs: Elliott,Taylor,Dummett,Anita,Gouff,Marv,Vuckic.
    [Assuming no Gomis]

• 118 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Sparky…no that be probably be a shame to say :-D

• 119 Jarra // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM

The beauty in supporting Newcastle United is the unknown it really is a roller coaster ride. I have been as frustrated as many on here worried we might not get the couple of players or maybe 3 we need. But I have sat back read watched heated debates even hatred build up on here, but what we must all try and do is let a transfer window close before we judge. That’s what I am doing and even though I was one of the ones who shouted from my rooftop for Pardew to be sacked after the Liverpool match I really hope he turns my head this season and I will be the first to apologise. If he shows no improvement on last season in the first ten games then he can blame no one but himself for being dismissed. I want Newcastle United to entertain me to show a charisma and make us proud to wear the Black and White. New Season new start maybe even a couple more new players so Howay the lads make us proud. Can I also take the time to say to Torq Toon and Toon danno for your post’s you might not always have been 100% correct with the final outcome but the rumours you heard always seem to have a quality of truth and hope. Thank you for helping me through this closed season, and finally to Ed for your efforts in producing the Blog especially when fighting a personal health issue, well done and good luck sir.

• 120 nut meg // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Jackostoon @111
    How right you are,suddenly it’s a different world.lol

• 121 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Morning IITian!

…signing Gomis will definitely give us some options up front with Remy onboard now :-)

For me Pardew is very difficult to figur out; he never seem to pick the side I think is obvious; I can see him go 4-4-2 this season, but hope he’ll go 4-3-3 or a variation there of. I am not to keen on the 4-2-3-1 we have been playing up til now :-)

…but chances are you are not far from how Pardew will play.

• 122 AusMagpie // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Still buzzing about signing Remy. Assuming Pardew doesn’t torture us again this season and banishes Jonas, our attack looks so exciting!!

• 123 thai-mag // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I would have Downing, he’s got to be a huge improvement on Jonas, at least he’s left footed and can cross ok

• 124 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:44 AM

It is amazing what one signing can do! Better late then never, and hopefully we can get at least one more in maybe more. There is still a lot of work to be done, so hopefully Joe won’t rest n his laurels.

As for Downing, he isn’t as bad as some have made out, but I’d agree that I would prefer Ince! I notice Menez got a lot of comment time yesterday as well. I’d imagine that if that were to happen it would see Cabaye going the other way, and maybe McCarthy coming in as well. Can’t see it though!

On Gomis, he will earn £340k in just over a month, if that is what is stalling the deal then Lyon will back down eventually as if they don’t pay it they will end up paying his wages for the next 5 months costing them more and reducing the fee. We need a striker in still, but with Remy on board we have a bit of leeway to bide our time on him. I’d still prefer someone younger though, of a similar mold though, and I am not sold on how good he is. Very inconsistent from what I have seen.

Now, just the tactics and style to sort out. Haven’t seen any pre season games yet, but have a mate (a Man City fan based in Glasgow) going to tonight’s game to let me know how we shape up.

• 125 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Jesper,
    If Pardew plays a 442 then I think I will cry. I’m not against that tactic completely but as the club doesn’t have a single talented winger then why on God’s green earth would you want to play a formation with 2 of them!! The squad we have is much better suited to a 433/4321/4312.

I am interested in seeing how he lines up the central midfield. I think against City, Tiote will play with Sissoko and Cabaye, but in the next few games against weaker opposition Anita will come in for Tiote. Then a forward 3 of HBA, Cisse and Remy, although I still have my doubts on Cisse as a spearhead for the attack.

• 126 jackostoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Nut Meg,
    My hangover seems a lot more bearable, having said that, I best get some more paracetamol and coffee

• 127 Klatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM

how ironic that our 1st signing under Wonga is a LOAN.? :)

• 128 jackostoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Jarra,
    Good post bonnylad

• 129 TorqToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Morning gents!

So it’s the morning after the night before, and bar a few scraps, the vibe on this place was much like our top 5 season.

On gomis, honestly, JFK (whatever you think of him) has played it perfectly. Aulas always has been the type of man to take liberties, and has done so in many transfers already. He is close friends with Olivier sadram (Toulouse chairman) who dislikes us over the whole sissoko transfer deal. Therefore is being, to be impolite, a pain in the @rse!

Gomis has told several players he wants to come, and has also made his desire public to his team mates, you hold him in high regard.

This deal should happen, but we aren’t afraid to walk away. The talk of other clubs after him is inaccurate. Aulas doesn’t want him to play against him in ligue 1.

After pea, Remy was my no.1. And was tied up a long time ago, the delay was due to the loan fee etc.

• 130 Kangatoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:00 AM

@115 & 123
    Do you think Cabs in the in behind Cisse & Socks back next to Tiote would be a combo – it may help the service into Cisse

• 131 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Lilongwe…I wouldn’t want to see Pardew play 4-4-2 with the players we have, but he seems to back to it every season. He is a convensual British manager and last season he kept playing 4-5-1 though calling it 4-2-3-1 and that was also how he liked to play before he come to Newcastle :-)

At the end of the day formation is nit that important to me; it is more about style and philosophy for me :-)

• 132 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Torq,
    Good to have you back! I’m not convinced on Gomis, seen him play a few times, and he is either unplayable, or couldn’t hit a barn door from 2 yards. Would be more than happy if we walked away to tie up a younger target.

I guess you will be busy busy now the season is back up and running! Get that keyring flashed!

• 133 Jail for Ashley // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Lil,
    Surely a 4-3-3 with a front three of HBA, Cisse and Remy is a no brainer, if there is a strict budget that the club has to play with I’d now rather a winger came in and we wait till January for Gomis.

• 134 IITianToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Hi Torq, hope you are doing good.

Yesterday you mentioned 1 down, 2 to go.. did you mean two more “in”comings? If 1 is gOmis, any idea on who is the other?

• 135 jackostoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Good morning Torq,
    It’s good to see ya back and to read ya posts again, really hope that doesn’t come across as too much man love lol

• 136 Markaccus // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Morning all

Torq? Bloody hell mate, where you been :D

Ed says “kinnear wasnt savvy enough to mention the rape case”
    Surely it isnt for him to say? That would have been a legal mine feild, and since he was not charged it would have been irresponsible to say anything. I am no fan of kinnear but surely we should stick to actual problems with him, instead of creating unfair ones?

• 137 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Kanga,
    If Tiote is playing, I’d have him sitting in front of the back 4. The other 2 for me can be interchangeable, although I would say Sissoko is much more dynamic, so is better suited to playing deeper and carrying the ball forwards. Cabaye can pick a pass, but he isn’t going to run 30yards with the ball.

When Anita replaces Tiote, I would not pigeon hole any of them. As long as they work together there needn’t be a designated attacking player of defensive player. I’d allow them that freedom to create more fluidity to our play.

• 138 bills-son // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Ruddy,

You call yourself intelligent but your posts at 53 and 61 merely prove that you are driven by arrogance and ego.

This blog isn’t about outsmarting other bloggers with grammatically perfect sarcasm or passing snide remarks about the spelling ability of others to show how intelligent you are. It’s a football supporters blog ffs not an A level English exam.

• 139 Marty-Toon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Wouldn’t want Downing at all,goes missing as much if not more than Obertan during a game.
    Gomis is causing a lot of effort on our parts and although he’s strong and scores one out of every 14 chances ;-) i really don’t think he’s worth it.
    Think there’s better to be found a that price with both age and agility on their side.
    On REMY signing,top quality!
    He’s gonna be great in a front 2/3 but I don’t think AP will play 3 up front even once this season,prove me wrong Alan.
    If we can keep the core of players fit this season,we could make good inroads up the league this year with lots of quality internationals.
    Marveau or Santon(mbiwa or Haidara at LB)at LW to provide good quality ball in the box,although would love to see Ince there.
    Gouffran can also play there,so it’s a perfect opportunity to sell Jonas :-)

• 140 TorqToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Good morning Lilo. How are you, sir?

Gomis is VERY much like that. Obviously I’ve seen him play many many times, and had personal dealings with the lad. He is a big confidence player, but there is no doubting his talent.

He is big, strong, by no means slow and most importantly, he works hard and is an extremely intelligent footballer. He reads the game better than many others I’ve seen and this sets him apart from the likes of bent et al.

Like I said, I’d love him at this club, but I believe we wont be held to ransom over this and will walk away if need be.

• 141 sidecutter // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Morning lads,I live in blackpool,and the word over here about young ince is they are desperate to keep him!! great young talent,has the strength and tenacity of his old man and is by far a better footballer!! could defo be a world class player if handled correctly( I guess that leaves us out!! ) I would love to see him in a black and white shirt.

• 142 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I must agree…. I think he will fit the PL perfectly quite honestly big big lad something we need when playing physical defenses…

• 143 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Jesper,
    But the style and philosophy will be hindered by formation. A 442 without having real wingers will cause us to play more direct as we don’t have the players to stretch the game. 433 or a variation of allows for more fluid movement.

Jail,
    I’d say so. Whether Pardew thinks it is or not time will tell. I personally think he will give a lot less game time to both Jonas and Tiote this year, so we should see a more progressive formation.

We need some natural width in the squad, other than Obertan, to give us options and cover. Sinclair and Ince have both played in 433 as the wider attacker. I still think we need both though!

• 144 Toon73 // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM

@jesper

Sydney actually ! :)

cheers Torq good to get some positive vibes going on in here. I blame the heirachy – too slow in transfer dealing :lol:

Gomis and Ince/Sinclair please.

• 145 TorqToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM

IITian – Hello my friend. Yes, I believe 2 more will come in. 3 at a long shot. A winger and another striker. But obviously anything can happen in football.

Mark – I’ve been about, sir. Just took a bit of time away to escape the chaos and negativity of this blog. How’s you? Catching the bus today?! Keep an eye out for a big black van!! :-)

• 146 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Torq,
    I agree he has ability, but at the price we are looking at, I’d say there are better and younger available. You don’t really want someone who is such a confidence player as a second option, so he would need to play regularly to succeed. Will he start ahead of Cisse and/or Remy? I don’t see how it would fit. I think we need a player of his ilk, but someone prepared to play second fiddle, and would just be thrilled to get a chance at the top level is a better fit at this moment in time.

• 147 Markaccus // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Torq

A big black van??
    Are the cia after me :-O

Or do you mean like the one remy arrived in yesterday? I will be on the bus later but i think i am out of the itk loop ;).

Heard some disturbing rumour of krul and cisse being off in january for silly money, but not sure how accurate that is.

• 148 IITianToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Wow jut realised something we potentially have a starting XI that could all go to the World cup.

Krul — Certain.Starter.
    Debuchy– Certain. Starter
    Colo– 50%.
    Mbiwa– 80% certain.Squad player.
    Santon– 35%.
    Tiote– Certain.Starter.
    Cabaye– Certain. Starter
    Sissoko– Certain. Squad member
    HBA– 50%
    Remy — 70%. Squad member
    Cisse — Certain. Starter.

• 149 welshgeordie9 // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Could remy still leave in January if a club make a bid.

• 150 nut meg // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Great to see you back Torq,look forward to more of your posts.

• 151 Toon73 // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I don’t think the finer points of the Liam deal have been made available. I assume we would get first crack at him and the deal is in our favour??

• 152 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Welsh,
    No, we have paid a loan fee, so if the agreement is for the season, then he must stay for the season. Recalls can be done when no fee is paid, or it is built in to the agreement which I highly doubt we will have done.

• 153 Toon73 // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM

*loan

• 154 magpie6699 // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I think Gomis will happen now we have our secret weapon JFK on the case.
    ” Yeah – now Oi’ve got Louise Reeney frew the door fanks to my football know-how, Oi’m sure we’ll get Bambi Gonads in as well”

• 155 TorqToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Welsh – as far as I’m aware, nobody can activate his clause whilst he is on with us. Apart from us. Never 100% but I’m told that’s why we paid such a big loan fee. As we (JK) insisted on that stipulation!

Mark – Out of the ITK loop?? You and me both! :-)

Lilo – that’s a FAR too sensible post for this blog!! Haha But yeah I agree. There are other options to gomis though. And gignac isn’t one of them.

• 156 Markaccus // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Bambi Gonads… bwahahahahahahaaaa

• 157 NUFCarter // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM

If JFk has identified the ‘deadwood’ of the club and Jonas is one of them then fortunately knowing JFKs personality he would of told Pardew to get rid or sit him on the bench. So i dont see him playing as much as he did last season.

• 158 Markaccus // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I was thinking Batman for his first name……… Batmans Gonads

• 159 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Torq,
    God no! I’m not sure where Gignac has got his God complex from! But he can stay as far away from Newcastle as he pleases!

• 160 bills-son // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Torq,

If we sign Gomis and/or Bent are we selling Cisse?

We could end up with 6 strikers if you include Shola and Goofy and I can’t see the sense in that.

• 161 magpie6699 // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM

By the sound of it, some of these football deals make an Arab -Israeli peace treaty look simple!

• 162 Markaccus // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Looking Renal played a wonderful pass to Kebab. He played a lovely one two with sockdrawer and then layed it off to afro who shot. The rebound was tucked away by Batmans Gonads

• 163 Toon73 // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Obertan, Gosling, and Shola really need to be moved on. None of them are going to see game time. Jonas to the bench getting maybe 10-15mins a game when we need to grind out/hold onto a win. Can’t start anymore Pards ffs.

Maybe with Remy in, we need to look at out-and-out wingers?

• 164 Jail for Ashley // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Bills,
    Imo that’s it with the strikers, I don’t know if I’m reading to much into it but if you listen to Kinnerys interview he slipped up a couple of times mentioning strikers and deals in the singular, so unless like you say Cisse is on his way I think thats it for strikers.
    Torq,
    I think the loan deal will be compicated and we won’t know the full extent until he has bagged a hatful of goals and we’re wondering why we haven’t offered him a four or five year contract.

• 165 jackostoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Torq,
    I read somewhere that Menez was mentioned as a player being considered by the club, in your opinion, and only your opinion, just incase you get jumped on, do you think that this could come off, what I’ve seen of the lad, and It’s not a lot, he looks very very good

• 166 TorqToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Jacko – Menez is one of those signings which would truly take the premier league by storm. He is an outstanding player capable of playing on either wing or through the middle. His is on silly wages at the moment, but is out of favour so needs game time in a world cup year.

If finances weren’t an issue (or if we paid the going rate) I KNOW menez would come here as he has many close friends in black and white. But we will need to be prepared to pay a big old fee for him. And who knows whether that would be sanctioned.

On cisse, I dont believe he will be sold. One thing JFK has done, is make NO player first name on the team sheet unless it is earned. If cisse is our top performer he will play, if not, as in patches last season, he will be benched for somebody else.

It might put a few noses out of shape, but guarantees the best performing players are selected.

• 167 toon6toon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I have to day im chuffed to bits we got remy over the line,
    hopefully we can get gomis and possibly ince as well

• 168 jackostoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Off to take tha bairn for an appointment, catch ya later gents

• 169 bills-son // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Jail,

My reading of it is we’ll sign Gomis if a deal can be done.

That means either Cisse is on his way or Ashley is prepared to have big signings and earners on the bench to ensure we have cover for injuries/loss of form. What will you say if that is the case :-)

• 170 jackostoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Torq,
    Cheers bud

• 171 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Torq,
    Surely if JFK has said no one will be guaranteed on the team sheet he is interfering with selection, and doing the managers job. Something he has stated he wouldn’t do!

As for Menez, if this McCarthy story is true, (which I doubt at the prices mentioned) then Menez could potentially be a makeweight for Cabaye to PSG.

• 172 one Tony Green // Aug 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM

@ Markaccus I agree totally with your comments neither Remy of Gomis have been charged with any crime. Ed you are not a lawyer nor are you judge or jury. This blog gets bad enough with vile comments so your veiled comments of no smoke without fire are not right or needed.

I for one am happy to see Remy here and it shuts up all these knackers who bump their gums about signing no one.

• 173 TorqToon // Aug 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Lilo – I was unclear. In their many discussion (JK, pards and MA), it seems home truths were told and his clear favouritism of last season was discussed.

As has been said before, too many players were played no matter what form they were in, last season. And that SHOULD be a thing of the past!

• 174 Markaccus // Aug 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Tony green

Yeah we have to keep a clear line between football and law. We can worry aboit rape et.c if and when something happens

Lilong

I personally dont have a problem with kinnear saying no ones place is gauranteed on the team sheet, it just lets players know that just because he buys them, it still means they have to earn a place in pardews team selection. At least thats the way i am looking at it :D

• 175 nut meg // Aug 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Torq
    Have you seen much of Dusan Tadic of FC Twente while over in Holland? I would like an opinion off anyone who has seen him play & your opinions are valued by me.I cannot help but think he would be a good fit for us BUT, I’ve only seen him on you tube.His stats are pretty impressive IMHO.

• 176 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

In all the time and the amount of money its taking to sort out a deal for gomis, we should have try for menez. Imagine how exciting that could have be.

Hba – cisse – remy. And menez behind cisse. I reckon we could be lookin at competing for champions league!
    Or we can swap menez and hba. Let’s not forget remy can play on the right and well as left. Menez and hba can play both side and behind cisse.
    My favourite style or play is consistent rotation through games so we’re unpredictable. The trio would always have the ability to take two defender out of a game in a second.

I think I’m gettin over excited here, think it would be far 2 good 2 imagine! Lol

• 177 kaarek0ng // Aug 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Is it just me or is it wierd how people are going on about us needing to sign a winger.. We allready have 5 top quality players competing for 2 spots. Marveux, Vukcic, Gouffran, Remy and HBA all being able to fill the LAM/Left wing role. Albeit not necesarilly from a defensive point of view. 6 if Obertan ever realises that he could be a good footballer. And yes, i truly believe that Obertan can become a great player (albeit it would require some serious work on his psyché and self esteem) Oh and Tiote/birgimana, cabaye, sissoko – seems a better central midfield than Anita, cabaye, sissoko. With Tiote and birgimana holding the anker and supporting the defence, it allows for a more offensive cabaye and sissoko.
    Love from Norway! Starting to get my hopes up for the season

previous post: Is Stewart Downing Worth £5M To Newcastle?

next post: What’s Your Newcastle Team For Rangers Test Tonight?