The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

67% Of Fans Don’t Want Downing At £5M – Neither Does Pardew

10:51 am, Wednesday, August 7th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 57 Comments

With the news that Liverpool were making Stewart Downing available for just £5M, we suggested it may not be a good deal for Newcastle, because he’s 29, his wages are high and for £3M more we could be going after a player like 21 year-old Tom Ince from Blackpool, who would be a better long term buy for the Magpies, and his wages initially would be a lot less thanthose of the Liverpool winger.

Stewart Downing

Stewart Downing - available for £5M from Liverpool

And two out of three fans think it would not be a good deal to get Downing for £5M.

Is Stewart Downing Worth £5M To Newcastle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Newcastle have agreed a €8M fee with Lyon for Bafe Gomis with €2M in add-ons, and have agreed terms with the player at £70K/week according to Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas – and who said Newcastle don’t pay out big wages?

But it seems clearer now that the only thing holding things up and the greedy agents, who are asking for too much in fees.

How many times have we heard that over the last few years – and something needs to be done with these players’ agents, who are far too powerful in these transfers, and mess things up and cost the clubs a fortune.

Alan Pardew was asked after the game if Newcastle were interested in Stewart Downing:

“Not really. I don’t know where that really came from. There’s been no enquiry from us and we have made no noises to Liverpool.”

It came from media outlets suggesting that Newcastle may be interested, but it doesn’t make much sense for Newcastle, even though Downing was a massive £20M signing two years ago from Aston Villa.

Certainly Liverpool made a lot of costly mistakes in the transfer market at that time.

And the Newcastle manager seemed pleased enough with the display last night at Rangers, when we snatched a draw with almost the last kick of the game with Shola Ameobi notching his fourth goal of pre-season:

“We missed so many chances beforehand. It would have been easy for Shola to just snatch at that, but he dinked it nicely. He’s got that cool head.”

It’s obvious our weakness at the moment is in scoring goals, and Loic Remy will definitely help in that department, and we still think Newcastle will be able to sign Bafe Gomis from Lyon this summer.

With these two Frenchmen in the squad scoring goals should not be a weakness for for us  next season.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Shola Ameobi · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

57 responses so far ↓

• 1 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM

More fans want Downing than Pardew then?

PARDEW FOR ENGLAND

• 2 Ben3arfa // Aug 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Pardew already said we dont want the “English Left Footed Gutirez”

Move on to next topic please

• 3 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM

More fans want Downing than wants Pardew

• 4 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

alreet lads hows it going?

just 2 questions here

1. where’s this 20 million MA was mean’t to be spemding every season?

2. weren’t we meant to be getting 2 players every time we lose 1 or was that just for last season, we’ve lost 3 players so far so where’s the 6 players coming in?

• 5 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Sorry i went quiet…. 30 mins walk to work from the bus stop.

Rotonda…. JFK was the mastermind behind both events. He ised his contacts in the cia and mi6 to set each one up. Pardew was the evil assassin who carried them out ;)

• 6 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Ruddy – No I should be back for good this time. All right stop crying. Stop it now. Fine I’ll just go!

Hope all is well.

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Naptoon,
    It is a shame we can’t learn how to “co-ordinate our financial resources well” Those guys at Southampton must be financial gurus! Smaller stadium, lower sponsorship, lower merchandise income, but financially stronger. Yet we are one of the few clubs turning a marginal profit…..

The other bit I like is the fact that apparently no one realised that we didn’t replace Demba;

“Demba (Ba) went to Chelsea, and that was a big blow for us last year. I think the fact that we never really replaced him got missed a little bit.”

I’m not one to normally pick apart his interviews, as a lot of what all managers say publicly should be disregarded, but he is coming out with some shocking soundbytes at the moment.

• 8 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Only 67%? That’s rather suprising. I wouldn’t touch him with a really really long pole.

• 9 Indian Magpie // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Pardew only wants hoofers

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM

IITian…good day to you to sir :)

I see the Great Wizard has returned (the long lost prodigal son) lol

How have you been? No internet?

• 11 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Ruddy – My silly season has been extra silly. And I’m back just in time for the super silly (pronounced thuperthilly)
    part of the window. Yay!

• 12 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM

is MA really a billionaire? doesn’t seem he is.

• 13 naptoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM

lilo
    yup like i say every time he speaks i fall further into a pit of despair … after man city think i may need samaritans … number anyone?

• 14 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Hello Jesper -

I’ve just not had the time to come on. I needed a little break, and then never found the time to get back on untill now.

But don’t fear! I’m back and full of more useless opinions than ever!

• 15 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Conaldo

Does that mean we are all…..SUPERSILLY-OUS!?

• 16 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Wizard…are you the only one who can see Ruddy? ;)

• 17 foggonridiculous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Markaccus

I’m PRETTY sure Pardew was to blame for my lamentable performance in the bedroom department last night….

:-)

• 18 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Conaldo

Had a little chuckle at the thuperthilly comment, haven’t lost your dry wit have you?

So how have you viewed the events of the last few months?

• 19 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Foggy

TMI mate!! However you must be right. It is always his fault!

• 20 aidytoon9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Alan I wish you would tell it how it is- having to turn to shola last night to get a draw against a poor rangers team.
    Yes it is only preseason but good team have we played yet?

If we start with jonas on the left and with Taylor at the back instead of mapou then that is a massive sign of where our season will go.

Also Anita needs to be playing more and marv imo

• 21 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Jesper – Haha him and Ibiza are stuck on the last thread. The buffoons. I reposted.

Either that or Ruddy is one of the voices in my head. I’m not quite sure.

Markaccus – *Applauds*

• 22 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM

naptoon

01792 655999, I’ve had them on speed dial for a few years now

• 23 SecretSausage // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Last night I sat higher up in the stand thatn the Newcastle fans at other end of the ground and what I immediately said to my family was that the grass was way too long.

It was clear there was great difficulty in passing along the ground. Honestly, it was so bad that at times it was like playing on a waterlogged pitch.

IMO although this affects both teams it is more likely to hamper us from playing a faster game on the floor and that’s what happened.

The length of the grass ruined the football spectacle.

So Pardew was right.

It did look nice but looked lush and very green. There was just too much of it unfortunately.

• 24 Yorkgeordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Colo has an injury and although Pardew doesn’t think it is serious, it does make me dread to think what would happen if he was out injured because we haven’t got 2 cb’s that can play together.

• 25 martoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Markaccus @5 – a late start? I love the way as soon as you get to work you’re back on the blog ;)

• 26 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Ruddy – Wit? I’m sorry I’m not following you :)

Last few months…

God where to begin.

It’s been… Newcastle United…

• 27 Toonboy_84 // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Most people don’t want Downing.

How many would swap him for Jonas though?

• 28 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Ibiza from previous thread

Well it’s this reason that I am anti-Pardew. I cannot back a manager who I know will fail to get the most from our players, surely that is one of the functions of a manager?

However, I am afraid of what will come next if he is sacked, as Mike has the propensity to do something even worse. Better the devil you know eh?

• 29 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Wizard…FYI, I liked the last thread and have anxiety issues and struggle to adapt to new scenarios….anyway, 22 posts in, I think this thread should be safe enough.

• 30 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Conaldo

I’m sorry are three letter words too long for you now? :P

• 31 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I’d take Downing tbh, he can cross the ball, decent passer of the ball, works hard

• 32 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Ibiza – don’t worry, I’ll look after you. Your’e safe here *Hugs*

• 33 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Jepser

Who you calling a buffoon? And to think of all the time I spent complimenting your shoes! It’s been wasted!

• 34 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Ruddy

If Pardew is sacked I can honestly see us going for Poyet

• 35 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Ruddy – I have just learned an, it & to at school this week. Next week we move onto cat, dog and sky. It’s very difficult.

• 36 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Ruddy…It may not be the right stance, but it is the stance I am most comfortable in making.

I just believe that people are barking up the wrong tree with their bashing of Pardew as I think in the scheme of things he’s not the biggest problem. Perhaps he’s doing exactly what has been requested of him?

• 37 naptoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM

jb
    theyve got a section set up specifically for nufc fans.
    “dont worry the club is financially viable its all part of the 5/10 year plan” and so on to calm down the depressed.

• 38 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM

JB – I can see us going for Joe Kinnear if Pardew gets sacked…

MA wouldn’t look for a new manager. That would take effort and thought…

• 39 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Ibiza…so how does feel to be stuck in a thread you coudn’t get out off? ;)

I see Ruddy to now :D (I thought I has either going mad or that Wizard had been..well to wizard school ;) ) lol

• 40 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

JB

I can’t see it, nor would I really want to see it. Apparently he is a terrible man manager, he’s in the middle of a legal wrangle with Brighton at the minute and seems pretty detestable after he supported Suarez during both the race row and Ivanovic bite.

Brighton did play some good stuff though…haha

Conaldo

Stick with it, or failing that u cud alwys use txt tlk, it propa mint innit

• 41 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Wizard…Thanks mate, I feel a lot better now.

• 42 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Conaldo – Kinnear wouldn’t be offered the job after all the issues he’s had with his heart. Poyet would the 1st choice imo

• 43 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Ibiza

This is where I would agree with you, Pardew isn’t the problem, but a symptom of a much bigger, fatter problem.

Jesper

Maybe your eyesight just isn’t what it used to be old man ;)

• 44 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Ruddy – Yea ths iz ezyr lyk. luv u bbz.

• 45 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Conaldo

Fanx hun ex oh ex oh ex oh (did I do that right?)

• 46 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Jesper…I had the new thread up, but was still in the midst of a conversation in the last one…anyway, I think you know more about being stuck in old threads than me mate ;)

• 47 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Ruddy

I wouldn’t want to see him here either mate, but n the twisted world of Ashley he’d fit the bill

• 48 ArtyH // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Most fans don’t want Pardew. Another $hite performance last night, how long can it be allowed to go on?

• 49 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

JB

You could be right, but if it was a straight choice between Kinnear and Poyet, I’d have Poyet every day of the week.

• 50 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

SecretSausage

The length of the grass has nothing to do with second rate tactic’s or selections

• 51 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

what a load of horse sh!t about the grass being too long and the passing was slow because of it, sorry but iv’e been coaching for 4 years now and my team has won all 3 promotions in a row with the pitch being awful and my lads still manage to pass properly on the ground with ease

• 52 Indian Magpie // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

HAHAHA

Dirty mackems looking to offload Mclean to Championship.

• 53 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Ruddy…Not sure you should comment on eyesight….Wizard made the buffoon comment not Jesper :)

• 54 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Ibiza

Haha so it was! My sincere apologies Jesper! Haha

• 55 numba9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Gomis sort ya agents heed out man and get signed. Also think munuain would be a awesome signing and Scott Sinclair get to work joke in here …

• 56 Greebol1892 // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Never rated Downing – has a good shot on him but the allegations that he can cross a ball are false. Always had a decent burst of pace but at 29? Forget it.

• 57 scout // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM

67% of people could write what they know about the game on the back of a stamp, 5 million is a great deal for downing.
    Do any of you actually watch games live? Look at our left midfielder right now, come on lads.

previous post: Loic Remy Injured – Will Miss Start Of The Season