The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Gomis Tweets Make It Clear He Wants Newcastle Move

5:51 am, Wednesday, August 7th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 62 Comments

My son Neil has alerted me to Bafe Gomis’ Twitter account last night, where Gomis was saying some good things about Newcastle, and that he was looking for the move to be finally closed.

FBL-EUR-C3-ATHLETIC-LYON

Bafe Gomis – I’m already leaning English

It didn’t seem like new news at the time, because it’s clear that Bafe is more than keen on  a move to Newcastle, who have conducted themselves with great professionalism in their efforts sign Gomis from Lyon.

But  now that Lyon President Jean-Michael Aulas has spoken out after their Champions League 1-0 qualifier win in Zürich last night, and talked about Marseilles trying to unsettle the player and derail his eventual move to Newcastle, it’s appropriate to put this out – that Gomis wants the move to Newcastle, and we are his first choice club.

Here is his Twitter account and these are some of the tweets from the French striker, and it was also his 28th birthday yesterday, which is why there are tweets of congratulations on that:

“Thanks 4 all the support that u guys give me, sadly the decision to come join u is not my own-  its more complicated. Excuse 4 my translation.”

And Twitter user – Reece_Embery -asked the 28-year-old if he was learning English

“Happy Birthday Bafetimbi. Already Learning English? Ready For NUFC?”

And the striker replied:

“Yeah I started a little bit – but not fluent in Jordy yet”.

So that’s a good start for Bafe, although he’ll learn that it’s spelled Geordie.

The Gomis transfer is turning out to be so very complicated, but we still think there will be a solution and we’d be surprised if the deal is now done by the end of the coming weekend.

And if get him Gomis will be welcomed with open arms on Tyneside, because Newcastle fans love a player who wants to join the club, and makes every effort to get to Tyneside.

And if Joe Kinnear can get this one done – even Joe will start to look golden.

Or am I going too far? :D

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

62 responses so far ↓

• 1 Geordiedownunder // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:12 AM

I just hope this doesn’t all end in tears…. He looks the biz though… Start earning your wedge Joe.

• 2 AK Malaysia // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:12 AM

C’mon JK… time to proof the doubters than they’re wrong… Bring Gomis in, a winger & a subs Keeper… Sorry for being greedy…

• 3 mkhalaf // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:13 AM

I personally like joe,, he is ambitious and not afraid to stand up to mike Ashley or that’s what I feel like,, he has done good with remy so far,m let’s see what he does next and give him a chance,,,

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Okay can anyone explain this to me; if. the problem is not with Lyon’s President Aulas and not with Gomis since we are in agreement, then where is the problem?

…where does OM fit into this equasion?

If Aulas accepts our proposal then a deal can be struck; Am I right?

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:22 AM

If it is agents. that are holding up this deal then I will say Gomis is at fault; I might be old school here, but agents work for the player!

…Gomis sought out your agents; talk is cheap my friend ;-)

• 6 Klatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM

‘Jordy Gomis’ ,its got a nice ring to it

• 7 Kangatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Jesper
    Your point is reasonable – I think it may have been Torq that said Aulas can be quite difficult to deal with, so I’m not sure we can believe anything that comes from him.

• 8 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Kanga…I just can wrap my arms around what’s going on here :-) maybe it is because I don’t understand the business completely or because I am a tad naive lol

• 9 richyg01 // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Report on another site that Remy is injured and won’t feature against Braga or Man City.

AP hopeful that he will be fit for WestHam

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:32 AM

*can’t

• 11 scout // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Cisse Gomis Remy awesome attack

• 12 Charlietoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:35 AM

The lyon president is a cock

• 13 Toon73 // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:35 AM

I still have a feeling this may go through. He genuinely looks like he wants to play in black and white. It could be another 2-3 weeks.

Looking more likely we will get another in before him – winger perhaps?

• 14 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Aulas is reported saaying we have offered Gomis £70k a week; now that sounds like that should be Euro, but why is Gomis agent discussing with Aulas what we are offering their client?

…there is something that just not add up here!

• 15 Kangatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Jesper
    It seems we’re in the same boat then lol

I’m a long way from where it all happens – but it seems to me that we have transfer issues with alot of these French chairmen ie with MYM, Sissoko & Debauchy.

Not looking to start any sort of England v France argument – but is the problem NUFC or the French Chairmen???

• 16 John Tudor // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:45 AM

16+7+3x 21 = 98

• 17 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Kanga…I honestly don’t know, but it seems in every deal there is a middle man and he wants to get paid, but no one really wants to pay him!

…I never like middle men and they only make matters worse, but in the end they work for the player so the player is hardly blameless eventhough he would like to appear so ;-)

That said I still cannot see how OM fits into this unless this is about payment mede to the agent and OM upping what they want to pay; but then again OM cannot talk to Gomis with out acceptance from Aulas!

Anyone know what’s going on here? I am tempted to say walk away Newcastle :-)

• 18 John Tudor // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:55 AM

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:04 AM

There are 12 days left till we play City. We proved once again last night that without Shola we struggle for goals. If the rumours about Remy being injured are right it is time to walk away and leave this one and sign up a different striker.

Whether it is agents, Gomis or Aulas holding it up makes no real difference to us, as we just need a striker in.

If we are to go after top strikers, we need to get it done and dusted before Spurs get their cash windfall. They still want a striker or 2, and even without an extra £100million knocking about are more than capable of outspending us.

• 20 james589 // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I think the OM talk is pure speculation. Fact is, Gignac has decided to stay at OM therefore they don’t even need a striker. It was documented a few weeks ago that Marseille would be Gomis’ preferred move but this seems in conflict with his latest series of tweets. Why would he bother starting to learn English if he had no intention of coming here?

Someone, somewhere is holding up the deal. Whether that’s Lyon to try and get a better offer from someone else or whether it’s his agents trying to squeeze a bit more money out of us/Lyon I don’t know. It’s been reported that Gomis is wanting a hefty signing on fee but personally I think that’s wide of the mark and I’d be surprised if this was the case. He has said it’s out of his hands and he has also said personal terms have been agreed with Newcastle.

Guess we just need to keep our fingers crossed and hopefully this one will get over the line. If not, at least that frees up £8m to spend on Ince eh?

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM

James,
    Alternatively, Spurs have been interested in the past, and they are about to get a huge wedge for Bale and have said they want another striker, maybe they are holding out for interest from there.

• 22 Sir Braveheart // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:12 AM

The thing is this deal is 85% done. If we walk away now and try to sign someone else we’re starting from scratch and how long will that take?

He’s almost in, just one last push to get him on a plane and here for a medical.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Braveheart,
    Deals don’t have to take this long though. Bony was done pretty swift, as are many transfers. Joe said in his interview he was meeting with 3 to 4 agents a day, so if we haven’t already started discussing things with other agents then I’m not sure what they are meeting about.

If people were doing there jobs properly they would have started discussions with agents of other targets to know the requirements when this deal started to become difficult. Therefore most of the groundwork would be done and the deal can be concluded swiftly.

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Sorry, should have said the public part of transfers are done pretty quickly, unless it is one of the worlds best who the club doesn’t want rid of. ie. Bale, Fabregas, Suarez.

• 25 Kangatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Brave
    I agree with you – having said that, did anyone find it odd that Pards & JFK named our targets well before they were likley to be ‘holding up the shirt’.

A few on here mentioned that there must be other targets… maybe there is ground work happening elsewhere.

• 26 JAMSHA // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM

good news,is surez wants to leav the bindipers ……. n dats good…. v can beat them easly

• 27 jukitsu // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Just wanted to say if anyone is interested watching major european football leagues, Al Jazeera Sports is great way to do that. Full sports package is only 135$, ending on 31st May 2014. Most of the european matches have english commentary.

You may need VPN or DNS service additionally but right now I’m using Google Chrome and Hola Unblocker add-on and it works great.

I weighted between Premierleaguepass and Al Jazeera but there is much better coverage of sports in AJS so I chose it.

Howay the lads!!!

• 28 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Shola is our top scorer ….thats all I have to say…we cant beat rangers….

we are in for a troubled season…..

• 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Gorgon.
    We had an awful pre season results wise the season we romped the championship and the season we came 5th. This is just pre season, the results of these games matter zip.

• 30 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Lilongwe I disagree mate…

I think you have a point to an extent. Other oppostion are playing much tougher opposition we are playing monkeys. anyhow…

I just trust Pardew…..I dislike him now….. after last season. will we see Jonas and Shola for the city game …? You bet ya

• 31 nico // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM

If we don’t get Gomis and Remy is injured for the start of the season, we’ll have nobody apart from Shola to come off the bench. Another painful season ahead.
    We need to be buying players like Sinclair, Will Hughes and Tom Ince

• 32 welshgeordie9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM

So if remy is injured and we don’t get gomis then we will be back to square one. Have we got targets in place just in case

• 33 welshgeordie9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Nico

Snap that was good timing.

• 34 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Pardew blaming the Ibrox pitch .. the grass was long …

• 35 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Hatem’s better than Messi

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! What a knob! My Goooddd…HATE him even more now.

• 36 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Man city 4: Newcastle 0 my prediction

• 37 IITianToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM

@Hatem I really hope that it was a joke.

• 38 BRABOT // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Lisandro Lopez must be sold by Lyon,last year of his contract,
    I think NUFC should by Lopez instead of Gomis

• 39 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM

No no joke …

“It was a great game in terms of competitiveness. We wasn’t at our best tonight it is fair to say, the pitch didn’t really help as it was a bit long the grass, it slowed the ball down.

We got stronger as the game went on, which was pleasing, gave everybody a game tonight which was the intention, we are building up nicely.”

I thought Jonas did really well, he was really positive, looked like his old self.”

• 40 kt97toonarmy // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Jamsha

I recall Liverpool not having Suarez against us last season nd they twatted us 6-0

• 41 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Gorgonzola

4-0 after 20 minutes, I don´t think much has changed.
    Same tactics, style … excuses.
    Expect a good few hammerings.

PARDEW OUT!

• 42 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I dunno….. I am just so tired of his excuses…..

I think we could be in trouble again this season…We dont have a winger in sight…. Where is Sinclair and Ince? Uff….

• 43 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Jonas has never been a good player. The lad has very very few career goals and his crossing (in any form, deep, flighted, drilled, cut back) is all woeful.

I get he puts a lot of effort in on the pitch but thats what everyone should be doing anyway, those who dont want to be dropped. If he put half as much effort into his training as he does running he might be able to cross a ball by now.

• 44 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Gorgon,
    So far, Ameobi is the only one who has earned a starting place at City. Will Jonas and him start? I very much doubt it if everyone is fit. Plus Jonas was meant to be on of our best players last night. It doesn’t matter who the opposition are for that, as the opposition are the same for our whole team.

Chances are we will get beaten by City, and potentially by 2/3 goals. I doubt it will matter too much what team he selects, the result is still likely to be the same. The following 4/5 games however will be a much truer test.

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Hatem,
    You made that up :o

• 46 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM

No it was in THE MAG a transcript from an interview on NUFC TV

On Remy he said “The problem we have is that he’s got a calf injury.

“We weren’t under the knowledge that he hadn’t trained for three weeks.

“So really and truly he needs a bit of a pre-season.

“We’ll have to cram it in somehow.

Does any one speak Cockney and can translate …
    “We weren’t under the knowledge that he hadn’t trained for three weeks.

WTF does that mean?

• 47 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM

If Pardew did use the grass is too long as an excuse then words fail me. Heads up to any team that doesn’t play slick passing football, long grass is too much for NUFC to cope with…

He has a limited amount of time to get things right. It isn’t a tough start other than City, so he has no excuses. Although so far, the board and JK haven’t been too helpful to him.

• 48 NUFCarter // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I hope the grass is short at the Etihad, else we really are in for a hammering.

• 49 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Hang on, Remy had a calf injury and hasn’t trained for 3 weeks, and the club didn’t know about it??? What sort of newfangled buffoonery is this??

So, pressure back on to sign a striker before the first match. Unbelievable stuff.

• 50 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Lilongwe…it is football mate and anything can happen, but I don’t like to be darf about this and things need to change style and philosophy wise if we are to get anything out of this season…

…I have seen worse team than use getting a result against Citeh and I have seen better getting an ass beating :-)

We could buy 2 or 3 more players and it will still not address the problem at hand (Pardew for me has alot to figur out)

• 51 nico // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM

welshgeordie9

Great minds think alike eh ha

• 52 blew // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Braveheart @ 22
    One day QPR agreed a deal with Celtic
    for Hooper, the very next day Norwich
    stepped in and signed him. These things
    don’t have to drag on, if it looks likely
    move on, time is running out.

• 53 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Jesper,
    I agree that Pardew has huge amounts to figure out, and I was one who wanted rid of him at the end of the season. He hasn’t being given the coaching help we were told would come at the end of last season, so it will be difficult.

I don’t agree with all this talk of favourites though, he was in a hole last year, and because he, Carver and Stone don’t have progressive ideas they tried to rely on the players that gave them success the year before. It was more a damning indictment of their coaching and tactical nous then it was of having favourites in my view.

Anyway, off out for a meeting. Catch you all later.

• 54 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM

That Pardew quote was another disgrace!!! I was literally standing in the front row last night and the pitch looked like a bowling green. I said it two or three times to my pal.

That is an utter disgrace he’s said that. I can’t stand him and he’s an absolute coward looking for all these excuses. We played a very poor standard of football and was just a continuation from last year.

There were a couple of Pardew for England songs which went up, which morphed into Pardew for Scotland.

• 55 thai-mag // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM

heard it all now “the grass was to long” what paper did he say this in, got to read that

• 56 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Lilongwe…yeah I had hoped we would have seen some new coaches here as well!

…but I do think this is a problem Pardew need to raise himself since it is his job that is on the line in the end.

• 57 jimmysmith // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I’m not sure how good or not Pards and his coaches are, but if they do get Gomis and a legit winger then this squad might just make the top 6 despite them. Even now I’d be surprised if we didn’t finish top 8. If not you’d have to say the players aren’t performing for their manager or worse have, lost faith in the direction the club is taking.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Aug 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM

After that pi$$ take article on Kinnery the other day can the Mag be relied on as a news source but if that’s true Mick Harford will be in the dugout in less than a month !

• 59 Tommyy // Aug 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Why has nothing changed? It’s my fear that the players have it so ingrained that small tweaks to Pardew’s training methods won’t be enough. We need an overhaul and fast.

• 60 JP...from The Rock // Aug 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Pardew: “The pitch was a bit long for our liking,” he said. “It meant we had a slow pass out there.

“I didn’t think we were great, but we have really worked the guys hard this week, both on Sunday and Monday.

“We’ve worked as hard as we have all season. We were a little below our levels.”

He did say that it was likely that a player could get injured after the intense training sessions, and Colo has a slight groin strain that Pards is not too concerned with.

That part of the long grass is a bit odd and he could have done without that comment.

• 61 JP...from The Rock // Aug 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM

“Colo has a little groin pull, but I don’t think that’s a big problem,” Pardew told the Gazette.”

Krul is now in the frame to start United’s season-opener against Manchester City on August 19.

“The big bonus is we have everybody available,” added Pardew.

• 62 tekkers2402 // Aug 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM

The whole Gomis deal being scuppered seems to be down to agents fees. They seem to want an excessive amount. Also the player apparently prefers a move to marseille and they are trying to striker up interest in him. Aulas wants the most money he can get and that’s why he is keen to ship him to Newcastle.

Honestly don’t see is getting him due to the fact it’s taking so long. Like a higher post said. Hooper to Norwich seemed to take a day to be done!

previous post: Lyon President Pessimistic About Gomis’ Newcastle Move