The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Captain Picks Up Groin Injury – Tim Krul OK

11:19 am, Wednesday, August 7th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 210 Comments

One of the things that has been encouraging in this pre-season, is that Newcastle haven’t had too many injuries,  and we hope that’s due to the work of performance director Faye Downey, who is acting as a fitness consultant at the club.

fabricio coloccini in training

Fabricio Coloccini – slight groin injury

But last night the Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini suffered a groin strain at Ibrox – but the manager Alan Pardew seems confident the Argentine International will be fit for the new season a week on Monday at Manchester City.

Coloccini was taken off after 73 minutes last night in the 1-1 draw, and replaced by Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.

Pardew is hopeful Colo’s injury is only slight and he was pleased that Tim Krul came through the first 45 minutes of his comeback from a badly dislocated shoulder.

This is what Alan Pardew said after the game last night:

“Colo has a little groin pull, but I don’t think that’s a big problem.” “The big bonus is we have everybody available,” “Tim has now played 45 minutes, and everybody else is up to speed. It’s good news.”

“The pitch was a bit long for our liking,” “It meant we had a slow pass out there.” “I didn’t think we were great, but we have really worked the guys hard this week, both on Sunday and Monday.”

“We’ve worked as hard as we have all season. We were a little below our levels.”

It was a good work-out for our players last night, and Rangers looked a good team, and should be back in the Scottish Premier League in a couple of years.

Their fans are as good as ever, and they have stood by their  team in their hour of need – that’s good to see if not unexpected – after the famous club were so financially mismanaged that led to the mess they are in at the moment.

But all’s well that ends well we suppose.

Newcastle now play SC Braga at St. James’ Park on Saturday night, and that’s our final pre-season game this summer – it should be a good game and we’ll probably see Yanga-Mbiwa and Steven Taylor in central defense, and maybe Mike Williamson could also get a run-out.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Fabricio Coloccini · Fitness · Friendlies · Injuries · Newcastle News · Pre-Season · Tim Krul

210 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rainrix // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

31st

• 2 Mag.no // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Drop Downing and use the money(plus some) to sack Pardew. I really want the devil i don’t know now, and perhaps we can enjoy a manager that knows a bit about tactics.

I’m dreaming of a manager that can set up a tactic based on what kind of players he has available. Not the other way around.

• 3 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Ibiza – don’t worry it’s safe here. I’ve got rid of evil folk (you know trolls, goblins, mackems)

• 4 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I dislike and distrust Pardew, but I dislike and distrust Ashley more. The only time I want Pardew gone is when Ashley is no longer at the club, we’ve been bought over by some Geordie fanatic trillionaire and we’ve installed Pep Guiardiola as manager.

I mean, is that too much to ask?

• 5 Toonboy_84 // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I feel a spanking coming on if Colo doesn’t make the city game

• 6 Toonboy_84 // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Tbh we’ll probably get spanked with him fit. City have an unreal squad

• 7 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Ruddy

Ashley does so many things right at the club but appointing Pardew on an 8 years contract and Kinnear as DoF undoes everything in my eyes

• 8 Indian Magpie // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

HAHAHA

Dirty mackems looking to offload Mclean to Championship

• 9 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

JB

Ashley has done more wrong than that. Defaming both Keegan and Shearer. Unfairly sacking Hughton who steered the ship following relegation, straight back to promotion. Re-naming SJP. Associating us with Wonga. Not capitalising on the momentum created by a 5th place finish. Keeping Pardew in his job following 2 of the most humiliating defeats at SJP which culminated in one of our most embarrassing PL season’s in our time in the league.

He’s the true poison at the club in my eyes.

• 10 Indian Magpie // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

With Remy and Now Colo, pardew can pick his favorites

Jonas and taylor

• 11 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Good to be back. I’ve made a dozen comments and not one of them about the respective article.

So here goes. This article mentions a footballer. God that was difficult.

Right, back to talking about… well whatever nonsense we were talking about.

All though seriously I don’t like the comment about the grass. Howay man just keep your mouth shut every now and then.

• 12 ToonDownSouth // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Ruddy

I don’t think it’s too much to ask, no. In fact, I think it’s the least we should expect.

• 13 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Wizard….Are you sure?

Ruddy…Not at all mate.

• 14 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

TDS

Good, for a minute there I thought I was being delusional, but I wouldn’t really know because apparently you need to be assessed by a psychologist before one can make that statement…

• 15 Rooster // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Ruddy, ive moaned my tits off at Pardew, im mightly worried about thus fella, i go from one extreme to the other happt ar the signing ifca top class Remy, then instantly down about our other targets who should be here now and bedded in sll foe the sake of whatcsmounts to coppers in MA’s world, Pardews team sheet always pees me off, then out invonsistant performances always pee me off, then the next min am backing MA the way he does business, but i have to sat its getting rather nautious, i will be furious if we goin to this seasin wi one major injured signing, and they will know fully about it, just pat these afents ei gritted teeth like all other clubs have to ar this moment,MA would be the same if he were an agent you can bet your bottom dollar!!!!

• 16 martoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Realistically I’m not expecting to get anything from the City game but hoping we can avoid a hammering. For me our season starts with the first home game against West Ham so as long as Colo & Remy are fit for then we should be OK. Negative I know but realistic.

• 17 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Ruddy

Not arguing with any of that mate, but having one of the best scouts in the game, making very, very good signings and then handing them over to a second rate manager is the biggest issue we have at the club right now.

Replacing Ashley takes a Billionaire willing to shell out massive amounts of money on the club and is very unlikely to happen as we are now a true cash cow for him with the new TV deal, replacing Pardew with a quality manager would instantly change the club

• 18 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Ruddy.I’m not having a go at you,this is a serious question.What has changed your mind to go from hating and blaming Pardew 100%,to now focusing your full attention to MA now?.Seems your last few posts have eased off on Pardew.

• 19 Generic Commenter // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I didn’t see the game but ofcourse kept track through the Sky SPorts update (god I hate that First Row Sports is going). Is everyone right that Cabay was a holding midfielder, sissoko was RM and Benny was behine Cisses? I can only hope that Pardew is doing this to test players. And from what I’ve been seeing Ben Arfa has been S**T so far. What’s that about?!

• 20 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Martoon

I agree. I don really think it is negative to just want.to avoid a hammering at citeh. Lots of teams will struggle there. As long as we give it a go i will be happy.

• 21 IITianToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Cant wait for the season to start proper!
    Probable man CIty line up:
    Hart
    Zabaleta–Kompany–Lescott-Clichy
    Fernandinho–Silva–Toure
    Navas–Dzeko–Jovetic

That left side of City is super potent. Santon has no chance against Navas/Zabaleta in my opinion. We may have better luck attacking Clichy’s side.
    We will get hammered, my prediction 3-1. However our real season starts the nextgame onwards.

• 22 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I understand and agree with your frustrations. One major signing before the start of the PL to a squad who finished 16th is simply not good enough. MA and JFK have got serious questions to answer regarding this.

As for Pardew (in response to both you and JB) yes tactically he is pretty inept, we know we will never see strong consistent performances that excite us and see the best from our top players. If I genuinely believed Ashley would replace him with a quality manager, I would be calling for his head. At the end of last season I still was 50/50 about Ashley, and I thought he might have still had ambition, but this summer proves he has not.

I don’t want to see Pardew sacked, as the likely replacement for him will probably be JFK or Alan Curbishley or AN Other mediocre archaic manager. Faced with those options, I’d rather stick with Pardew, regardless how infuriating he is.

• 23 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Mojo

Previously I had focused on Pardew as the problem, but now I think that the problem is Ashley, that he has no ambition and as such will stick with Pardew unless we’re in the bottom 3. With that in mind, how can I blame the manager when it’s the owner who is at fault?

• 24 martoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Markaccus – settled in at work now eh! you had a late start?

• 25 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Gereric….I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Benny is probably just championship level at best ;)

From all accounts, that is exactly where those players were positioned. I too am hoping it’s just an experiment, you know, because the same experiment last season was non conclusive….

• 26 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Ruddy…apology accepted ;)

Ibiza…seem Iwas lost on an old thread there myself; guess you are right I do have alot of experience in that certain area lol

• 27 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

If pardew gets sacked into tje season, i am starting to warm to the idea of poyet. Ok, he has not got massive experience yet, but attacking attractive south american style football is in his blood, and he has conducted himself very proffesionally over being shat on by brighton and hove albebummin. I think jencould use the players we have to good effect. Id go so far as to say a keegen style team

• 28 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Jesper…I learnt from the best :)

So, something else that cropped up in the Pardew interview that no one seems to have jumped on, but he mentioned that of course the aim would be to try and replicate our 5th finish and thus secure EL again….everyone still think he meant that he never wanted European football again or perhaps was that blown out of proportion…just a little?

• 29 numba9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Gomis sort ya agents heed out man and get signed. Also think munuain would be a awesome signing and Scott Sinclair get to work joke in here …

• 30 Ginger // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I think we should all have bets on what the lineups will be against Man City.

—————–Krul——————–
    Debuchy–Collo–Taylor–Mbiwa
    ———Cabaye—–Tiote————-
    Sissoko—-Ben-Arfa——Guttierez
    —————-Cisse———————

• 31 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Martoon

Yes i was at hospital with My middle son. He has had a couple of fits, we think due to his diabetes but he had a brain scan to check for epilepsy, because my oldest had that.

• 32 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Just doing my Fantasy Premier League – any reccomendations?

• 33 Generic Commenter // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Ibiza,

I got the impression from the updates that Ben Arfa didn’t have the best of games. Behind Cisse is a spot you’d expect him to thrive in so you can’t really blame Pardew for it, although I’m sure plenty will have a good go. I also got the impression Guti had a belter! Or it was sarcasm I couldn’t quite tell?

• 34 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Wait a minute…I’m not feeling my best today and have just caught up on something said earlier by Slank I believe…

Basically he said that since Sissoko arrived last season that Benny had played in the hole and Sissoko on the RW, but wasn’t it the other way around? Wasn’t Sissoko in the hole, hence the calls to swap Cabaye and Sissoko?

• 35 Rainrix // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Bennys still a bit of a tubby lumpkins apparently. Perhaps he’s been missing a few of pardews new super intense training sessions?

• 36 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Ibiza

The team displayed on websites and tv always showed socks in the hole and hba out wide, but i think they interchanged throughout the match…. as should be the case.

• 37 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Ruddy.
    Ah,the lesser of 2 evils,you never know Pardew might surprise us again,because if he doesn’t,we all know we’ll be getting a new manager for Christmas.

Can’t believe Sinclair is close to West Brom loan move,we should be all over that deal.

• 38 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Must admit, I’ve not been impressed with what I’ve been hearing about HBA.

He’s a luxury player, hasn’t played over 20 games in a season in the 2 1/2 years he’s been here and hasn’t shown a great willingness to get in shape.

He may be brilliant on the ball, but he is sloppy in possession at times, either picks the wrong pass or doesn’t pick a pass at all. He can change a game in an instant but he can also go completely missing.

This season will determine if he has a future here in my opinion

• 39 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Wizard…I’m not doing it this year. Just another way for football to drive me insane :)

Generic…Ha, maybe Pardew was running the commentary? I said earlier today that in theory I don’t have a problem with Benny in that position, but the reality has never really worked out. I guess it’s to do with congestion in that area and he seems to work well with a bit more space as he has the ability to pull people out of position. Worth a try though, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

I really like Marveaux in that position, but do find he disappears a bit too much in games.

• 40 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Markaccus…Thanks, not completely lost the plot then! I hope all works out well with your son.

• 41 North Atlantic Magpie // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I can’t believe Pardew always picking Saylor over Mapou.

• 42 Rainrix // Aug 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Ruddy… Perhaps a period on the bench ala the 2011/12 season would give him a bit of impotence again? Theres really no excuse for him being overweight now, especially with a full pre season behind him.

• 43 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Rainrix…Once Raylor is back Benny will be on the bench…that’s right, isn’t it?

• 44 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I’ll post up a couple of pics of the pitch when i get back from glasgow. Even if it was slightly longer than they’re used to, it was nowhere near complainable.

We don’t pass it well or move well anyway, so he can’t complain. Pitch looked good from the front row where me and my mate were standing.

Just another excuse for Pardew to use to cover up our first choice line up struggling to score against a Rangers side who are in the THIRD tier of Scottish football and who my mate just told me were just beaten off Forfar Athletic.

They actually put in a few dangerous crosses by their number 4.

My mate from Glasgow said that those Rangers players, last season, were playing against players who have other jobs than football. Puts it into perspective.

• 45 richyg01 // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Everybody available but Remy.

• 46 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I don’t know too much about his potency, between him and the missus ;) But I agree that if he’s overweight and looking sluggish the man should be whipped into shape before coming anywhere near the first XI

However, Pardew will probably stick Sissoko in the hole :(

• 47 Generic Commenter // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM

If Sissoko and Benny were just interchanging positions that is more understandable. Cabaye had a few efforts on goal (I think he had one dissallowed?) so that shows he isn’t just sitting back infront of the back 4, and obviously pushes forward regularly to attack. I wouldn’t worry too much about players out of position, it looks like they interchage throughout the game

• 48 Rainrix // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Ibiza…. Now that you mention it its a bit suspicious raylor picked up the exact same injury just as he was close to his comeback. Perhaps bennys been going around benton with a claw-hammer. Would explain all the injuries.

• 49 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Thinking for my squad –

Krul – Harper (He’s cheap – more sentimental than practical)
    Luiz, Baines, Agger, Azpilicueta, Baker
    Mata, Ben Arfa, Nolan, Routledge, Diame
    Berbatov, Aguero, Remy.

• 50 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Thinking

Krul
    Baines Luiz Agger Azpilicueta
    Ben Arfa Mata Nolan
    Remy Aguero Berbatov

• 51 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Captain Mata, VC Aguero

• 52 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Generic….You wouldn’t worry too much? What sort of NUFC fan are you exactly? :)

I am no expert on coaching, formations, tactics, etc, however, for me, I feel the most important thing they should be dealing with is our movement, pressing the opposition and giving our team mates support. Just seems the players aren’t always awake during games and for me, that has little to do with formations. At the end of the day, it has to be fluid.

Rainrix…I think we may be on to something here. I bet the idea of Raylor getting back to fitness has Benny up all night.

• 53 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Wizard…Was just going to say that looks good, but checking SS, it seems Barcelona are after Luiz…

• 54 Tommyy // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I said a few months ago that (even though it pains me to say it) we should be looking to sever ties with Ben Arfa. He’s lazy, injury prone and inconsistent. I also think he is arrogant and doesn’t work hard on the training field to get into shape. He’s had a woeful preseason in which I was expecting him to really fight for it and get to full fitness and sharpness. Not good enough.

We need an authoritarian in charge aswell as a top training coach. Pardew’s coaching is beyond lackluster.

• 55 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Wizard…I don’t know if I am doing it this year; it was to much work the last time and I sort lost interest quickly :)

• 56 geordiemark // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM

why cant we not beat or take a point off man city aye fair enough they have a brilliant squad but a game is a game and I know pardews inept on team formations but we beat barcelona in champions league no one give us a chance remember

remy in on loan come on ashley tight arse get spending the money

• 57 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I am beginning to think the same Tommy….. So much potential….. what a shame

• 58 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

@Tommyy

I thought i was the only one who thought that, everyone else seems to worship HBA

• 59 geordiemark // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM

tommyy

I agree with you on this, excellent player on his day but to much giving the ball away not good plus he doesnt run back that often as well need players who can defend as well as attack

• 60 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Tommy….You’re probably right, I think the issue for most fans is that he’s one of a very few players in the squad that have that excitement factor.

People rip on Jonas, saying hard work and commitment isn’t enough, maybe this is just the other end of the spectrum.

Not sure we should be actively looking to offload him, but bringing in some genuine competition? Always.

• 61 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Jesper – I never really bothered with it last year, but I’m going to give it a go this time. Like most things I’ll probably be bored with it in about 15 minutes :)

Ibiza – I know I’ve just seen that the sods. Thought I would be all smart going off the Mourinho interviews saying Luiz had a massive role in his plans etc. This will teach me for using my brain!

• 62 toon kk // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I really don’t know what goes on in training our squad are not capable of keeping up with the pace of a 90 minute match we tire after half time. This is one of the main factors we get so many injuries and lose so many games.

• 63 geordiemark // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

now I wonder whats at the back of liverpools minds abot downing, maybe a swap deal plus cash for ben arfa is on the cards might be a possibility, downing isnt a bad player I just think he went to the wrong club he should have stayed at villa, he can cross but hes the wrong age really no sell on value for mr greedy

• 64 Spreadthetoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Since its nearly the end of the silly season, I reckon its safe to post…..reflections on the transfer window are fairly muted, cos’ our inactivity there’s not much to say.
    I have been impressed with Swansea and Norwich who could end up being surprise packages for the season.

As for our club I remain slightly pessimistic…..however with the players currently available and if fit I would field this team:-

——————————-Krul———————————-

Debuchy——-Mapou———-Collo—————Santon

————————-Sissoko————————————–
    ———————HBA—–Cabaye———————————
    Remy————————Cisse——————Gouffran—

• 65 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Wizard….What you need to do is chose players who will never be sold.

I’ll get you started….

Jonas and Shola.

Moving on, what’s this about using your brain? For what? Oh so confused right now.

• 66 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM

For me one of the reasons why players like Marv and Benny go disapearing from time to time is because of the way we play…

…we simply bepass the att. mid going straight to the forwards; some have called it hoofball and it is a half truth.

But I think it is the key to a great season; getting the att. mid more into the game and stop people like Tiote from loosing the ball or making bad passes and stop the defence from “hoofing” it all the time.

Guess what I am trying to say is that in a way it is about formation, but mostly about style of play and philosophy!

I would like to hear from the old gaffer himself what his philosophy is :)

• 67 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM

goooooooooooooood mornign NUFC blog!!! :)

• 68 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM

*bypass

• 69 Generic Commenter // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Did I say I didn’t worry? That’s a lie, I’m sorry. As long as Mike Ashley is in charge I will never sit comfortably. One think you can say about supporting NUFC, it’s never boring

• 70 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I can set yourself up for a fall! And that is what I think the silver supremo is doing (rather great actully I one should take a positive spin on it ;) )

• 71 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM

*I = you

• 72 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

like sands in the hourglass, these are the days of out toon…

i think shola is really like a new signing…

on an actual positive note…. 12 days til the start of our cup winningseason….

• 73 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

jesper

Well said.

I think that as long as our team play as 3 separate units…defence, midfield and attack then we will never progress much regardless of who we have playing.

I think even the hoofball teams of pulis and allerdyce do much better as they know when it goes long the midfield get around the attacker who holds it up so people can get forward as a unit.

We commit very few forward and they are all as individuals, never as a solid unit to cause trouble.

• 74 toon kk // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Generic……..
    Your right there its never boring but we’re often pissed off as well! !!! Oh well its all part of the fun.

• 75 big papa // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

anyone know whats happened to Haidara, kid seems to have gone missing???

• 76 Magpie Myles // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I think what we need to do is set up as a 4-0-6

Long balls to Ameobi, Williamson, Cisse, Remy, Sissoko and Tiote.

Cabaye and Ben Arfa can be sold as they play too much football for pardews liking.

• 77 Jail for Ashley // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Tommy,
    I said the same thing about HBA a few months ago and only got called a cnut and a mackem off two different people which kind of makes me think a lot of people are a little bit disillusioned with him.

• 78 Jail for Ashley // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Did Joe Kinnerys crazy gang play a slick passing game along the deck or am I thinking of somebody else.

• 79 mattyNUFC // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM

let’s be honest; judging by preseason the line up will probably be this:

……………..krul…………….
    deb……colo..sayl/MYM…..santon/MYM
    ………cabs…..tiote……….
    sissoko……………….guti.
    ………………………………..
    ………………………………..
    ………cisse….shola/goof

I wouldn’t be surprised to see santon dropped, MYM LB and saylor starting. shola will provide that ‘calm head’. ha

• 80 robbeer // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM

read this blog alot, comment very little however i was at game last night and reading comments on here drove me to comment :) first of all dunno who is saying hba was playing behiond cissed last night? he palyed on right side sissoko played behind cisse. HBA looked very unfit and weak in possesion. i travelled 20+ hours back from Kuala Lumpur yesterday then from newcastle drove to Glasgow to watch this game. After watching it i thought maybe the team with exception to jonas must have travelled with me. after reading in Malaysia (on this blog mainly) how goos we have looked alonh with fitness and creating chances i was looking forward to watching the team . I was badly let down . It ws exactly like last seson no movement no creativety and no urgency . People on here calling for Pardews head i have to agree. Being a coach of a u13s boys club i have to say i cannot understand his tactics and what they do in training. there is no game pattern and im really worried we will be in big trouble this season even with new additions because claerly the manager and coaching staff cannot make these players excel. The new french arrivals from january were great for 1 or two games then i can only put it down to they start to play as they are being coached and there spark leaves them. last night these players included sissoko – poor , gouffran – poor (ht) , Mapou – poor (ht) then we go to cabaye – poor , HBA -poor (should be dancing past these average players) Reports from this blog suggest a good first half with missed chances . Dont know who watched this game at ibrox but clearly not these people. If last night suggests anything it is that we are in big trouble against city. I was in Rangers end having not been here to secure ticket and heard several comments from there fans on how poor we are during and after game. We did come to life in last few minutes with shola , sammy anita , marveaux giving some life to the game (which is very worrying after the so called 1st teamers couldnt) to many hoofed balls no direction of our attack and so slow. However the same could not be said for the lowly opposition who opposed themselves on us. we resulted in kicking people (cabaye, debuchy mainly) Joans was the bright spark of the game but still couldnt deliver at end of some good honest work. the rest of the team looked alien to the game. I will give them another chance on saturday as pardew stressed theyd worked so hard so maybe they were tired :) i live in hope but i would be over the moon to wake up with a new manager who can apply tacticts and get the best out of these talented players who clearly arent getting any better with being at our club

• 81 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Right folks I’m off for a while.

In a bit.

• 82 hotdog // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Link of last nights game fellas

• 83 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM

TS…I great team always have about 5 players in and around the box when attacking.

…we seem to more cencerned about how many we have the other way when the opponent come storming! We don’t put enough pressure on the oposition.

*First rule of Football: When you are in possession the oposition cannot score ;)

I major problem here is how you construct your team and who has forward responsibilities and who have defensive responsibilities. The fault line here is the one playing between our defence and our attack because he seem to neither add anything going forward and he is not safeguarding the defence when one of the fullbacks go forward.

*Second rule of football: When a fullback goes forward the DM safeguard the defence.

• 84 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM

*I = A

• 85 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM

jesper

Exactly. Football is a simple game….all you need to do is make sure the team play as a team.

Whether thats in attack or defence…everyone has job to do and supports those around them.

When defending we have 10 back in our half…when the best teams defend they leave 2/3 up and make them press the opposition and cut off passing back to force the oppositions hand…we just invite pressure by being too deep.

then when we do finally get the ball back everyone is too close together in our half so we hoof it to the one outlet but cisse isn’t a hold up players and even if we was he is a good 50 yards from any help.

I hope this is put right.

• 86 hotdog // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Robeer – Good post mate, always good to get it straight from the horses mouth, not that imsaying you have a horses heed like: :-)

I really dont understand Hatem playing on the wing, would we have asked this of Sir Peter Beardsley?

• 87 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

It would be ludicrous to sack the manager who took us to 5th place the season before last after one poor season. Granted we failed to sign the players we needed until January and most of them couldn’t even speak English by the end of the season and then of course like many teams we failed to deal with the Europa League schedule. All of that is for real and can’t all be lumped onto Pardew.

Just as Pardew didn’t become a bad manager overnight nor did the players who took us to 5th either. Tiote is still a top top defensive midfielder who most other teams in the premiership would be delighted to have in their team and just like Pardew should be given the benefit of the doubt at least through this season. After relegation we were all clamouring for stability at this club and what’s the point of that if you sack your manager at the first sign of adversity.
    After Moyes took Everton into the champions league in his second or third season they flirted with relegation most of the next season and managed to pull away to 11th by the end. But the following season they didn’t sack him and they finished up in Europe again.

I mean, someone on here has just posted we should get Poyet in for heavens sake! He’s never even managed in the premier league never mind won anything. Yeah, let’s sack Pardew and bring Poyet in and hope he knows what he’s doing and if he doesn’t we’ll sack him and try another one.

Being a manager is more than just saying I would play Mapou instead of Taylor or Anita instead of Tiote, problem solved. Time to grow up and support the team, not the regime otherwise we’ll be up against it once again.

• 88 Generic Commenter // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Robbeer,

I may be guilty of saying Ben Arfa was behind Cisses, but that was the impression I got from the blog/updates on the game. I prefer to hear HBA was on the right but the guy needs to get his act together, he’s had an appalling pre-season.

• 89 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM

TS…guess we are in agreence ;)

…if that’s even a word lol

But I am with you all the way there my friend! So how do we get Pardew to see the bigger picture?

• 90 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM

*Or should it be spelled agreeance? :)

• 91 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I have an awful feeling that if Pardew got the chop, Mr. Kinnear would get the job, would anybody actually prefer that?.

• 92 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM

jesper

no idea…hopefully JK will say something or he will have to find a way or risk losing his job….might be the only way to get through to him.

Felipe

I think pards did well getting 5th….everything went well that year. Teams figured us out though and we haven’t adapted, keep doing the same thing when it doesn’t work.

Good managers find solutions to problems, not just complain about them.

• 93 beautifulmind // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Its the best time to play Man City before they gel and get into their flow. Pre season performances rarely have any bearing on match day performances. When we finished 5th I don’t recall winning many pre season games or playing anywhere near how we did in the league games. I think we will get a performance at City but only take a draw at best

• 94 toon kk // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Robbeer.
    I agree with everything you said there. We’re a totally unfit squad, last season will be replicated if things don’t change. If alot of our players were well coached we would be a consistent top ten club. I can see us getting ripped apart at man c.

• 95 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

paul…no onw would want that, but Pardew is a grown man in a manager position.

…it’s his responsibility. He needs to start learning and man-up! The honeymoon i over ;) lol

• 96 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

@jesperfuglsang

And whats the chances of that happening, he keeps sticking with the same crap over and over, he just isnt up for the modern game.

• 97 noir9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Ben Afra played down the right, I say played but truthfully he did nothing. Jonas played down the left & most of our best stuff was down to him. Can’t blame tactics we just played as if we were stuck in 2nd gear & that only changed when the subs put in some effort.

• 98 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

paul…I am not counting on that’s goint to happen anytime soon sadly :(

• 99 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM

*going

• 100 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Lol,they’ve just been asking Liverpool fans on SSN what they think of the Suarez situation,they asked a kid about 5 and he said”I think they should sell him,he’s a vampire,he bites people”

• 101 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM

@MrMojoRisin76

Thats epic, should call him Count Suarez from now on xD

• 102 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM

martoon and Rotonda from previous threads

sorry for the delay in replying I got called out, martoon don’t get me wrong I’m not a Pardew basher, not by a long way, I have had many a debate where I have staunchly defended him, and yes martoon I totally agree that slagging him off for what he say’s in a press conference is pathetic, do they really expect him to say his squad is weak and that Ashley is a tight fisted tosser who is giving him no support at all so we have got to accept second best as being the most we will get whilst the leech is in charge, only a fool would expect that.
    Rotonda, I know your views on Pardew which are shared by many, but the way I look at it is that when we came 5th we played different tactics against different teams, and I honesty believe that Pardew was great that season, last season I put to injuries which exploited a very weak squad, so I was open minded about Pardew, still on his side to be honest, but after the initial adrenalin rush from the new lads and particularly Sissoko it became clear that he has always been used as deep lying midfielder for a reason, the reason being its his best position, the truth of the matter is that Sissoko’s first touch is not good enough for him to be either a no. 10 or a winger, playing him in an advanced role worked for a short period but surely Pardew must realise that long term it is not his role, it’s the same with Ben Arfa, a no.is all about clever little passes and bringing team mates into the game, that is not his game, he needs an extra half a yard of space so he can run at defences and cause havoc which he does very well, we don’t have a natural no. 10, the one most suited to that role would be Cabaye, he has got the passing skills and he can bring others into play, yes Cabaye is good playing deeper but it’s what is best for the team, and from what I have seen so far in pre-season we will struggle because having Benny central and Sissoko on the right we may as well start with 9 men, people are starting to question Benny’s attitude due to his poor showing this pre-season, I don’t think it’s his attitude, I think it’s where he, Cabaye and Sissoko are playing.
    Hopefully as you say Rotonda Remy will force a 4-3-3 which will have him and Benny on either side of Cisse, but at present I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a 4-4-2 with Sissoko and Jonas being the lads who are supposed to be giving us some width with Benny getting crowded out in the middle of the park, I have always backed and defended Pardew, but from what I have seen this pre-season I am now starting to have my doubts, I just hope that he see’s sence and plays benny wide and Sissoko deep. Time will tell

• 103 gazza85 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Tbh I think City away is going to be a write off for most teams this season. We may be lucky and catch them cold however my general feeling is that we’ll lose but its something that is expected to be fair.

Our 1st 5-6 games as a whole will give a much more accurate judgement of where we’ll be at the end of the season plus we’ll had the full window to judge ins and outs.

• 104 robbeer // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM

its ok sticking by manager. I did most last season. However if i was Mike Ashley and i went to watch that last night the first thing id be doing is asking Joe to find someone who can organise thee players. Like most say Joe would probably talk hismself into the job. Im just worried our manager gets to involved in other aspects and has to much to say about them and his focus should be on the team performance . That sems to be his only job now. No visible change of play and players being put in wrong positions (even in an friendly) ie sissoko 2nd half right wing. As far as im aware he played DM for previous club and for country . Why do we not play him there and releaase cabay further up the pitch . Il tell you because cabaye is smaller and cant hump ball upto him or use his pace. Pardew cant use any atributes bare these (thats how he lost it when Carrol went and Ba). theres no triangle passing , switchin wings , quick movement everything you see in good teams. the coaching at our club must be made a priority above everything else in my opinion theres something clearly wrong.

• 105 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Hotdog,
    No, but we would ask Beardsley to play on the left wing for a while though

• 106 mattyNUFC // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

paul24

i’m going to get lambasted for this, but,

yes. i’d rather have kinnear at the helm. with the unknown there’s always the feeble hope for change, which is what I cling too. It’s either him or more of the past two years which have been just downright awful from a quality and entertainment perspective. 5th place, yes it was great, but the football was as bad as last season’s!

I’ve said it before; i don’t care if we lose 15 games a season and end up in 17th place. at the least entertain us! the past twelve months have been nothing but pitiful attempts at occupational preservation. as much as pardew says he wants what’s best for the fans, all he wants is to be in this job. there is a major difference. if he was setting teams up to entertain, there would be a greater divide amongst pro/anti pardew folks. he sets up teams because he is scared to lose, thus scared that the outcome if so would be him getting the sack.

• 107 Tinman // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Anyone watching the highlights hotdog posted should be awar they are extremely rangers biased.

• 108 toon kk // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Its strange how us all as fans can see Pardews strange tactics and the squad is sitting back inviting pressure not to mention the hoofball, but so called professional manager Pards can’t.

• 109 robbeer // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Tinman

There exactly the highlights. end of .we were Dyer.

• 110 robbeer // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Toon KK

totally agree. very strange indeed. Sir Bobby or keegan with this group of players would be total different story i feel

• 111 pawl250 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Hilarious this blog, one game and its turmoil.

IT IS PRE SEASON.

Tottenham, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City have all lost matches but you do not hear their fans complain like us lot.

Ben Arfa is a great player, but he is lazy. I said this during his MOTM votes early last season saying he did one thing to earn it, infact I believe I voted for Santon on numerous occasions early on last season when Ben Arfa was taking the lime light. I was told to shut up by the majority of the blog, stating “I know nothing”.

Ben Arfa is a brilliant player, but you cannot expect him to defend. It would be like asking Messi to defend, you just do not do it.

He is an attacking player. Sissoko is a box to box player, he should be in the middle of the park dictating play, and and being available for a pass, as should Cabaye and Tiote.

I do not think for a minute that we will win Man City, 2 of their new signings could buy our entire 1st team for the price we paid! That means they should, and do have a better team than us.

No doubt the blog will explode if or rather when we lose expecting us to compete with teams that spent 100’s of millions on a handful of players and pay wages of 250k a week to some of them.

We are not meant to compete with these teams, we are just canon fodder much like anyone else outside Chelsea and Man Utd, maybe Arsenal to these teams.

People need to limit the expectations, and see how we go. I guarantee 1st goal conceded at City we will see PARDEW OUT comments, its predictable, yet no other manager would win Man City, or shouldn’t for the amount they spend to compete with the best teams in the world.

Time will tell, I am confident of top 10, by that 7th-10th this season. Will we be anywhere near the top 4? I doubt it.

• 112 Thump // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:28 PM

@mattyNUFC: The one thing I can give Kinnear credit for was the discipline level and that’s something Pardew seems to have very little of. Kinnear may play with very negative tactics but I agree with him that if he hadn’t have had that heart attack, we’d have been okay… but on the same note, I’m glad we went down. We needed a kick up the arse.

• 113 Tommyy // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM

We just need hungry and fit players with ability, Ben Arfa unfortunately only has one of those traits. It’s as if we’re forever waiting for him to find consistency and if it hasn’t happened in almost 3 years, I can’t see it happening at all.

• 114 Thump // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM

@pawl: Completely agree. All round performance means nothing on the MotM votes, it’s all about who won us the game (be it Arfa with a run into the box, or Cisse with a finish despite neither of them doing anything else for the other 90 minutes).

• 115 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM

@Transfer Sage 92

All easy to say on here eh?

• 116 geordielad880 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM

My side for game against man city:-

————————krul

Debuchy—–Collocini—-taylor———-mbiwa

———–sissoko—–cabaye—-anita

———ben arfa———————–marvo
    ————————-cisse

subs:-elliot, santon, williamson, tiote, gouffran, remy

• 117 Tinman // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM

robbeer, Dyer retired a couple of weeks ago ;)

No way, there is some shocking Rangers highlights on there which arent worth the time of day.

pawl, have to agree mate. People should take a look at some of the other teams pre season results. Yeah its nice to get some wins on the board, but it aint crucial.

• 118 Jail for Ashley // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Why are people thinking that Joe Kinnery will be the next manager, he is nearing seventy years old and has suffered heart attacks in last two jobs in that role he would be going against his family and doctors wishes to take up another job in management, imo there won’t be another manager but head coach with Kinnery pulling the strings away from the high tempo of the dug out and we were given a look at that very man a few torturous Sundays ago.

• 119 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM

@Robbeer 104

You have absolutely no idea what Pardew’s aims were for last nights PRE SEASON FRIENDLY.
    Nor would Ashley. It’s just as ludicrous to be judging the manager and the team after a pre season friendly as sacking him. Gawd help us!

• 120 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

pawl

results and performance in pre-season do not concern me, but when players such as Ben Arfa and Sissoko are continually played out of position, even if it is only pre-season then I get concerned, the reason being that if he continually plays them out of position now then he will do the same during the league programme, I would rather have had Benny on the right, Sissoko playing deep with Cabaye as the no. 10 and seen us get beat, afterall it is a practice match where understandings need to be learned, and what we learned from the previous pre-season games is that Benny central with Sissoko right wing doesn’t work.

• 121 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

…and the excuse “it’s only pre-season” is back :-)

…if pre-season it not about right some wrongs and trying new aspects out then I don’t know what. One could even say it’s about addressing the issues from last season?

…but hi it’s just pre-season and when the season kicks off then wupti doo we start playing football ;)

• 122 expatmag // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

G/Day guys

I see the injuries have started already,

By the time we get to October, we’ll have to recall Richardson from Accrington Stanley……..LOL

• 123 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM

@Paw 111

Spot on!

• 124 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Eurgh, from the dizzying heights of yesterday to this morning’s bleak blogness.

A 1-1 draw with every player getting a run-out in what has been a physically demanding week is no bad thing. Krul playing the 45 mins was massive too. It worries me that HBA just doesn’t sound fit though.

What’s really disappointing is that Pardew was unaware of Remy’s injury. Hopefully it’s only going to keep him out for a game or two but the fact that he didn’t realise that Remy hadn’t trained for 3 weeks reveals just how unprofessional and disorganised our club can be.

The article re finances and getting 5th spot was interesting and I agree with a lot of what Pardew said. I’m just interested to know if his reference to Southampton’s superior spending power means that they have more money to spend or an owner who is more willing to spend it? Open to interpretation…

I’m glad we’ve stuck by Pardew but this season will really determine my opinion of whether or not we should continue to do so. I agree with some posters that people twist every single thing he says or does to discredit him (to ludicrous extents sometimes) but there is no arguing that he is the most tactically astute or flexible manager. He seems to be a very good man manager and that serves him well; however as a fan I expect us to play better football this season and to play to the strengths of the team.

As for the Gomis saga… I just don’t know what to think any more.

• 125 Beattie25 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Whose judging Pardew after 1 pre season match?

That’s stupid.

I’m judging him for his 10+ years as a manager, his 36 months as nufc manager and his performances last year.

The guy is shit.

We finally have a starting 11 that could potentially beat anybody on their day yet we have this goon in charge who will make them look like a bunch of amateurs.

• 126 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

felipe

Well it is really. I am not a top manager so dont know the ins and out of the club and players etc.

But pardew has one of the top ten managing jobs in british football. You have to perform and be able to adapt.

In any other major industry if he performed a full year without trying to adapt to a problem then he would be gone.

I don’t mind giving him this year as no matter what we will stay in the league with this squad i feel, even if its not pretty.

I just want to see some improvement over the season and these pre season games seem exactly the same defensive mentality that was our issue last year.

• 127 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

@Spoof 120

This is typical of the FIFA Manager brigade.

All you have to do is play Benny here and Sissoko there and halleluiah problem solved. Forget about how the opposition play how you want to set your team up against them, just make sure Benny stays out there on the right wing and it’ll be ok. Oh if it were only that easy Spoof you could be managing Real Madrid. :-)

• 128 Beattie25 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Anyway whilst I’m on here who thinks we should just put a bid in for Lacine Traore at Anzhi?

• 129 Spreadthetoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

HBA/ Marveaux should be played in the centre along with Kebabs! ;) (sorry Cabaye…?!)
    Sissoko’s pace, power and depth at attacking the box makes him much more suitable sitting in a DM position. I’d even be tempted to play Tiote and Sissoko deep allowing Cabaye to pull the strings in the centre. Then you can play with a trio of the following:-
    Cisse/ Gouffran/ Remy/ Marveaux/ HBA / Campbell (if he’s here this season)……exciting possibilities……now just need to find a decent coach who can realise our true potential! LOL

• 130 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM

@Transfer Sage 126

I refer you to my comment re Moyes at post 87.

• 131 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM

pawl

actually a lot of other fans complain about their clubs pre season and transfer business, not just us lot.

And all 11 should be defending…doesn’t mean getting back to our box…ben arfa could stay upfield but he needs to pressure the ball and their defence to make it difficult to play it out from the back.

Thats what messi does.

• 132 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM

6 games (yes preseason, but lets look)

11 “points” from a possible 18

3 wins
    2 draws
    1 loss

goal differential +3 (10 for, 7 against)

now i realize its preseason, and not league matches, but it IS a vast improvement over last year…

and good to see you back sir beattie :)

• 133 hotdog // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Lilongwe Geordie – Beardsley was that good he could play anywhere but he was lethal off the front man. Hatem has got to play off the front man for me and ive got an inkling his pre-season performances might be to do with this. Two fingers up at AP so to speak.

Tinman – Yep it sure is ones sided the screetching Jock, i though he was gona cry when we scored :-)

It was the only footage ive seen though!

• 134 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Ignorance is a bliss I am told!

…this is my cue! Later ;)

• 135 robbeer // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Felipe

Totally agree with what you say” You have absolutely no idea what Pardew’s aims were for last nights PRE SEASON FRIENDLY “.

thanks for backing my comments. Ill add it further for a year now i have absolutely no idea what Pardew’s aims were. game after game after game. on the other hand i watch alot of football world wide and in most cases i have a good idea what there manager is trying. Could it be that Pardew is a tactical genius and hides his plans that well that we fans and opposition dont have a clue what hes doing i even get impression the players dont either. Ive never looked at it that way. However i prefer to see the training and managemnet efforts coming over on the field and being expressed in a team like way with all the players looking though theve played the game before. I agree its pre season however i dont notice a change and no change will be bad for us.

• 136 hotdog // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Beattie – What would your starting line up be?

Just interested what you would do different!

• 137 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM

felipe

Moyes’ teams looked ok though, he just didnt have the best squad.

I think moyes knows what he is doing, his teams don’t play beautiful football all the time but they seem to have a solid defence and a decent platform to build on.

With pardew it’s not based on one season…during his time here i have always thought that we play a risky game…we keep a lot of players deep and rely far too much on individual wonder goals from cisse, ba and ben arfa….as well as a cabaye freekick.

I think we never look like scoring a team goal or outplaying an opposition. Only time we did was the 6 games we won in the 5th placed finish…we passed and moved well but for whatever reason haven’t played like that for a year and half.

I’m all for giving a manager time, 2/3 even 4 years if I think I see something in him, with pardew i dont see anything in him…its always the same football with varying personel.

• 138 Beattie25 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Dok

Nice to read your posts again.

I wish I could say its good to be back on the blog, but I’d be lying.

When I left it was people trying to compare Moyes and Pardew. 2 months later its exactly the same.

• 139 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM

@Transfer Sage 137

With all due respect I’m not sure you’re the best judge of a Premier League manager.

• 140 martoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Well the Remy euphoria seems to have died down – back to arguing how sh*t Pardew is :)
    Let’s look on the bright side at least we’re not Boro supporters having to stomach getting beat by Accrington Stanley!

• 141 pawl250 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Thing is people expect us to maul smaller teams….

If thats the case why do you not expect us to lose against Man Utd, or Man City when playing against them because in comparison our team is a dwarf to a giant.

As stated they buy 3 players for 99m, we may possibly, and its a big possibly, spend that in 4-5 seasons.

That is a gigantic gap, so why is it when we play these clubs we only lose 1-0 or whatever, because they are crap?

Oh but we should win Rangers 5-0 on any given night yea? I mean we won Motherwell and St Mirren, both above Rangers.

YET we should demolish all smaller teams…. fooball does not work like that, even if you are Man Utd or Chelsea etc…. they can still lose against us smaller clubs on any given week. Just like we drew against Rangers in a PRE SEASON FRIENDLY.

Its not the end of the world. Atleast Pardew acknowledged it was poor….. normally he would say we did well or what have you.

Fair play to him! Yet we still have PARDEW OUT comments over a pre season game.

Its just daft, and ultimately pathetic. These people are not supporters or being realistic.

Arsenals youth/reserves (our Sammy, Bigi, Goslings etc) got beat 7-0 by Luton Town over the weekend….. wooooop de doooooo….. I bet some of them players will be quoted to be the next Fabregas etc.

Its 1 game, a pre season too. Its all about fitness, hence why our best players, get 55, 60, 70 minutes not the full 90!!

• 142 Iain Dowie // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Cabaye is not a number 10 so stop saying that pardew needs to play him there. Cabaye will play in the center, he likes to drop deep to receive the ball and play it. Simple. He done this at lille and he will do it with us. The problem with us is our piss poor defending despite the fact we have international defenders playing for us. And our link up play upfront and holding onto the ball instead of playing stupid desperate long balls from midfield. We have a good squad but are lacking direction.

• 143 Tinman // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Totally agree Beattie, think Pardew is totaly useless as well. Made too many fundamental errors last season for me. I just hope the players can try and do a job on the pitch for us.

Can’t see where people have got the idea Cabaye is a number 10 from. Marveaux is our best player there by miles

• 144 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I still think that we need to sign:

Alderweireld
    Siem De Jong
    Mcmanaman
    Gomis

Alderweireld is available for £5m. We need a tallish defender. Mbiwa and Coloccini are too similar. Alderweireld can bang the ball in the net.

• 145 Mister Tuff // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

expatmag — G’day possum. Ya liddle reepa.
    I’ve been trying to learn some Aussie slang words as you will have noticed.
    When checking out a list of words I chanced upon one which reminded me of you all those years ago when you lived in the Heed.
    “Lair : a flashily dressed young man of brash and vulgar behaviour, to dress up in flashy clothes, to renovate or dress up something in bad taste”.

• 146 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

felipe

Same could be said of anyone here.

As a fan I can see and appreciate good football and see what teams are trying to do. I see what we are trying to do and I don’t like it, more importantly the results were very poor last year and very little in tactics/style changed over the season…even with new players it was the same football.

• 147 Tinman // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Iain Dowie, you beat me to it!

• 148 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I agree. I think Marveaux is an awesome talent. Cabaye is wasted playing as a defensive midfielder. Anita should be playing every week.

• 149 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM

@Beattie25 / 138

Sorry Beattie. Just trying to add some positivity to a dire negative blog. Would you rather have it all to yourselves and just have everyone agree.

• 150 Rotonda heights // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Is Pardew The Biggest Obstacle To NUFC Success?

Picture the scene in the film Tin Cup, Kevin Costner in a 3 way tie to win a major golf tournament.

All other players can’t reach the green in one shot, so elect to lay themselves up by hitting one just short in order to get an easy par, whilst Costner decides to go for the green with the obvious results.

He goes into the drink.

Time after time, he then goes for the shot to prove everyone wrong but he gets the same result. In the water.

The comparison with Pardew here has a slightly different tangent in that Costner eventually makes the green and holes the ball, albeit dropping 9 shots and his chance of winning that tournament but he succeeded nonetheless. Ok, an embarrassed bloke.

However, Pardew just wont give up on his embarrassment.

If it’s not that daft 4-2-3-1 formation that swamps the midfield and unarms the cannons, it’s the square pegs in round holes in regards to personnel in their proper position or the ultimate set piece disaster in the long ball to the back post.

NONE OF THEM WORK, SO GIVE IT A REST ALAN!!!

JFK, Ashley and more have been blamed for much this pre-season but maybe our biggest obstacle is closer to home and one that must be addressed as soon as it fails the first time in the new season.

Read more: http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=327714#ixzz2bHrpHUQr

• 151 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

@Tinman

I think Cabaye played as an AM at Lille, thats probably where people are getting it from.

• 152 hotdog // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Martoon – I wish the 3 Legends was still on, imagine the pelters Bernie Slaven would be getting haha

• 153 Rotonda heights // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

it’s not a question of one match with pardew , it’s every match (pre season or otherwise) the same questions get asked

• 154 pawl250 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I still stand by our best team would be

———————- Krul ———————-
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Coloccini – Santon
    ——— Cabaye – Tiote – Sissoko ——–
    Ben Arfa ——– Cisse ————- Remy (Gouffran start of season)

Why not Anita, because Tiote will pressure the ball x10 than Anita does. He needs to be the Alonso though, stay in around the halfway line, cover the fullback runs etc.

If he does he will be back to his best. He is a good player, just needs to get attacking out of his mind. That 4th goal against Arsenal is the WORST thing to have happened for Tiote as a player. Made him think and want to do it again!

• 155 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

@Rotonda heights

Is Pardew The Biggest Obstacle To NUFC Success?
    No, Mike Ashley is.

• 156 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Felipe

no it wouldn’t solve all our problems, but it would give us a better chance of succeeding, question for you, when has Ben Arfa looked at his best, it has always been when he is on the right wing, yes he may drift inside and even venture out to the left, which makes him even more dangerous, but his performances have came from the right with an allowance drift a little, in the centre it is conjested and he gets crowded out and just runs into trouble losing us posession, and when he is central what does Sissoko give us on the right wing, nothing.

As far as FIFA whatever it was you mentioned, I have never played computer games, I watch live football matches and make judgements upon what I see, are you really trying to tell me that Ben Arfa central with Sissoko right wing could ever work, I suggest you put your computer football toy away and start watching what is actually happening on the pitch, and don’t give me the crap about it’s only pre-season because he was playing them out of position last season.

• 157 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM

@TransferSage / 146

Absolutely true.

Problem is that people seem to acknowledge that we suffered from not strengthening when we finished 5th, we had a pile of injuries last season and that the January guys didn’t have time to settle and that we therefore struggled to cope with the Europa League schedule. But then they don’t seem to understand what sort of impact that would have on the team and tactics. I would have thought if people on here fancied themselves as a manager they would see that.

• 158 Beattie25 // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Hotdog

It depends on the opponents.

One thing that has driven me mad this ore season is Pardews reluctance to try out new formations and tactics in preparation for this year.

We all know that he will play his 4-4-2 or his 4-2-3-1 without deviating from his set plan to get a draw.

If it were me I’d have experimented and would be looking to neutralise City’s attack whilst causing the offensive problems of our own with a 5-3-2.

——————Krul———————-
    ——-Mapou–Saylor–Colo————-
    Debuchy—————————–Santon
    ————-Sissoko-Anita—————-
    —————–Cabaye——————–
    ————–Cisse—Goofy————–

I’d drop Benny to the bench for not being fit enough and hope that he could make a difference when coming on. I’d drop Tiote to send a message that lack of form will result in such things and I’d drop Jonas as he offer nowt.

Debuchy and Santon on the wings in between their fullback and wingers would force them back on would allow us to counter and also get numbers in defence if necessary. Anita and Sissoko could cover offering defensive support and quick transitions to attack from midfield.

Cabaye would play in a free role finding pockets of space and offering creativity whilst the pace of Gouffran could stretch the defence whilst Cisse looks for opportunities in and around the box.

Simple.

• 159 Tinman // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Cabaye just needs to be given freedom. He knows when he has to drop back, he knows when he needs to get forward. He probably has twice the football brain of any of us.

I think we should forget about the whole DM and CAM thing and just play with 3 classic CM. Cabaye, Anita and Sissoko, one or two go forward, the other drops back, keep rotating, keep opposition guessing. Pass and move into the space, get it out wide to Ben Arfa or Remy, slide it through for Cisse, all capable of scoring from range.

• 160 Mister Tuff // Aug 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM

What are pre-season friendlies all about. I have been brought up in the belief that in the initial games you may give a chance to those on the fringes of the squad to see if they are up to it, and to try some different tactics- experiment a little bit. Then as you progress to your finale games before the season starts -you are playing with what is probably your final/best eleven and the tactics/game plan will have been worked out.
    There must now be a different philosophy in football after judging the Toons pre season.
    This argument which some are trying to develop -do not worry because the likes of Man U, Man City are getting beat/are not playing well is an argument which is clearly not logical.

• 161 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Robbeer, ur assessments of the game were right and pretty much mirror my own. Poor performance and just cringeworthy to watch.

We were making it look difficult against a third tier Scottish League side.

Their fans were singing ‘Premier League you’re having a laugh’ and it was hard not to totally agree, with the cluelessness of our off-the-cuff football. Forget about Pardew saying they were worked hard before this, rubbish. It was just the same as last year. Very poor and disjointed. Unacceptable once again.

Pre-season they should be practicing their coached moves of understanding new movements and knowing exactly where to run if someone is in a particular situation. None of that.

Poor and just the same as last year, so forget about saying it’s just a friendly. Last year was the same and that was in competitive competitions.

They were woeful opposition. Forget about Laudrup, De Boer days, this is lower league, bust, Rangers.

• 162 expatmag // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

TUFF

good try ya bloody dingbat.

I could never be accused of being vulgar or flashy, That’s is Ruddy;s job…….LOL

Next time I come over, maybe I can check out the toon sheila’s whilst you buy me a few tubes of fosters.

I can guarantee I will be as dry as a dead dingoes donger

• 163 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM

@Spoof

I would imagine that with Remy already in and Gomis and/or Bent to follow, we will see other players such as Gouffran, Sissoko, Ben Arfa etc playing in different and more suitable positions than they were forced to play last season. I don’t see the point in lambasting Pardew as sh*t and tactically naïve after a pre season game against a Scottish 3rd division side.

• 164 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM

beattie,

regardless, its good to see you…

• 165 Beattie25 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

The problem is Cabaye isn’t a number 10 as people are pointing out. He is a player that likes to push for ward from the middle of the pitch.

Play him to far up and he is pants and play him DM and he is pants (like last season).

Just think back to Stoke in 2012 when he was unplayable. That’s where he played for Lille and that’s where he should play for us. In front of the 2 DM’s and in just on the line of the opponents DM.

• 166 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

felipe

I dont expect you to read back for months but I did acknowledge that all season and post season.

I just think that even with the problems we had we could and should have done better. I’m not suggesting 5th again, too much with same squad, injuries and extra games…i get that much.

What I always point out is that if you look back at games we lost at home, west ham, reading, swansea, sunderland and the draw to villa thats 1 out of 15 points.

The sides we had out in those games were all good, strong teams, have a look at the 11 we put out. I just think we played too negatively all season and those games are a great example of that.

• 167 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Woah what the hell happened?

• 168 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

@Beattie25 /158

Ah, it’s so easy on paper isn’t it. I might try it myself :-)

• 169 Tinman // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Paul, pretty sure Cabaye behind was Hazard and Gervinho, Lilles two creative midfielders at the time….

• 170 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Expat

Ehhh, watch it ;)

• 171 Tinman // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM

*was behind

• 172 hotdog // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Beattie25 – Well ive got to give you a pat on the back for that line up kidda. Looks very interesting. I still think we need a spot for Hatem as he is world class when he is at it. I dont imagine this formation has even popped into AP’s head though!!

Got to go enjoy ya day boys & girls not long now HWTL :-)

• 173 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM

it is possible all our players were played in wrong position becasue of injury, or because of pards ineptness, as said by some?

• 174 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

@TransferSage /166

No need to read back. I believe you. You may even be right. But do you seriously want to sack Pardew right now and try our luck with someone else when he finished 5th without those problems just a season ago. We absolutely have to give the guy this season at least to see which was it goes.

• 175 Beattie25 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Felipe

Why don’t you?

What would you play?

And don’t give me the clap trap of ‘I’m not a manager’ just to back up an earlier argument.

Not all fans are stupid virtual reality managers. Some of us are highly intelligent men and women who actually know a thing or 2 about the sport.

Tactics is something any person can pick up easily if they are that involved in football. Other managerial demands is where most would struggle.

So come on, what formation would you choose?

• 176 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Felipe

I hope so, hopefuly Remy will force Pardew to play a 4-3-3 with Remy and Ben Arfa on either side of Cisse, with a midfield 3 of Cabaye, Sissoko and Tiote, with one of the 3 playing a bit more advanced than the other two, although none of the 3 are natural no. 10’s Cabaye imo would be the one most suited to the advanced role.

However if we go for 4-4-2 and we are relying on Sissoko and Jonas to supply the width then again I would be fearful, but not surprised. But time will tell, hopefully whichever way Pardew goes with, it will work.

• 177 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM

i dont understand why some overlook goofy, look at his pace on the left side, chased down everything, and crosssed it in or scored a few….

goofy—-cisse—-remy

why couldnt that work?

• 178 Beattie25 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Alan Pardew:

Top 6 finishes in the Premier League – 1

Years in management – 14

He has never been nor will ever be good enough for this club.

• 179 expatmag // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM

RUDDY

My sincere apologies, old bean

TUFF made me do it………………………..LOL

• 180 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM

felipe

Well personally i would have liked him gone and a good manager brought in at the start of the summer. (not martinez as some suggest, same problem as pardew just opposite…they play decent football but get spanked every week, wigan were much better under bruce and jewell).

But now he is here might as well give him a full season…unless you have a huge war chest for january you wont get a good manager mid season. So now he is here I hope he does well and learns from the mistakes last year. If he fails this year he must go in the summer for me…if he shows some sign of improvement in play and a system what better suits the boys i’ll happily give him plenty of time to develop it further.

I just want to see progress and adaptation which I don’t think i have seen under his leadership yet. But people can change and learn….just needs a eureaka moment where he sees the problem and the solution to it….might never come but i hope it does.

• 181 Beattie25 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I’m going now before I return to the darkness.

I’ll be back when this whole Pardew thing has blown over again.

And for the record Felipe, everyone is entitled to an opinion but not everyone can be right. You are horribly wrong with your view on Alan.

• 182 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Dok

it could work, no reason why it shouldn’t, but personally I would rather have Ben Arfa than Gouffran

• 183 expatmag // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM

DOK

I agree entirely

In fact, I would use that front three against City if Remy is fit because we will have some defending to do in that game and their pace will be a good counter attacking outlet which could spring a surprise pr two

• 184 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Felipe@174

I totally agree on that point. Many people have repeatedly called for him to be sacked and if there was a right time to do it then it was at the end of last season, not 2 weeks before the new campaign.

Despite his tactical shortcomings and strange substitutions he was the man who got us 5th place and we did have many problems last season that were beyond his control (small squad that couldn’t compete in EL&Pl being the main one). I’m pleased he has this season to reverse the mistakes and failures of last season and sacking him now to be replaced with someone who has no PL experience, or is a last-minute knee-jerk appointment, would be very foolish.

If we have another season like last season and continue to play as poorly then the powers that be should start lining up a replacement ready to take over. Otherwise we’ll end up with Kinnear as steward of the club.

• 185 Generic Commenter // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Aw I turn away for one minute and miss Beattie25 buldozing through every comment!

• 186 Rainrix // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Dok…. I saw someone yesterday trying to justify jonas being in the team ahead of goofy and marv. His point was neither track back. True for marv not so for gouffran he’s been excellent and he’s a real worker both in defence and offence, and im my opinion at the tail end of last season he was doing both so much better than jonas (not hard i know ;) ) My point being if pards is so concerned about protecting santon then gouffran really is his best choice to play on the left, or the right.

He’ll be a big asset next season if pardew utilises him properly.

• 187 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM

All depends on who we were playing but my preferred choice would be 4-2-3-1

Krul
    Debuchy Taylor Colo Santon
    Tiote Anita
    Cabaye Sissoko Remy
    Cisse

Subs: Mapou, Ben Arfa, Gouffran, Marveaux, Gomis (or Shola), Bent

But clearly that can change depending on the opposition and it is based on a fraction of the football knowledge that Pardew/Carver/Stone have so I wouldn’t be getting all bent out of shape if they pick something different.

I can see Mapou getting more and more games as he adapts to the premier league but I’m concerned about his lack of height at centre half tbh.

• 188 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM

rowan

agree, not is too late to sack him, got to back him for the season now.

I dont mind a manager with no league experience, as long as they have some experience and know what they are doing, show the skills needed then its fine with me.

• 189 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Speaking in the wake of a friendly draw against Rangers, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew sought to distance his club from reports suggesting the Magpies are keen on Liverpool winger Stewart Downing.
    “Not really. I don’t know where that’s really come from. There’s been no enquiry from us and we have made no noises to Liverpool.”

It’s not all bad news today!

• 190 Marty-Toon // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Although Ben Arfa was good with the ball at times and we all know he can be a top player,he really was wasteful at times and tracking back was without effort or will for the team.
    Was annoyed at him.
    Shola deserves minutes as he’s the only one scoring at the minute.
    We made chances yesterday but as we’ve seen all last season,we score very few of them

• 191 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

@TransferSage 180

We are therefore now both on the very same page.

• 192 expatmag // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

ROWAN

We need to stop referring to two seasons ago. That is ancient history now and to be perfectly honest, it was more the under performances of Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton rather than any great tactical Pardew genius that got us to 5th that season,

In my opinion, Pardew has no idea how to get the team to play the basics of pass, move, anticipation, pressure and marking including the midfielders hunting in packs so to speak.

• 193 Levi // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Any one who is bored and wants to see some goals should put the barca game on. 7-1 and still 40 minutes to go.

• 194 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Still think Man Utd will finish in the bottom half this season. We have much better players.

• 195 always look on the bright side of life // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

@ hotdog – The 3 legends is still on. It just moved from Real Radio to Star radio and its still popular. You can get the star radio north east app for phones and its available to tune into in most areas.

In regards to last night performance. I am not going to lose much sleep over it. A lot of people will slate me for saying its only pre season but thats exactly it. They will all be training hard on fitness still rather than maintaining it as happens when the season progresses. We werent great, we weren terrible and the result itself is irrelevant really. Rangers may not have the squad strength they had a few years ago but for the division theyre in its by far and away the best there and will walk the title again this year.

There never seems to be a happy medium, its either euphoria and doom and gloom on here. We arent gonna win the league and I dont believe we will be relegated so there is going to be plenty up and downs this year. I dont believe Pardew is going anywhere and so we are just going to have to get behind him and the team. Some of last seasons results were humiliating and performances were poor but I think until MA sells up nothing will change as he has his ways and wont be told what to do.
    Just sit back, enjoy the ride with the highs and the lows and support the lads no matter what.

• 196 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

@Rowan 184

Agree entirely

• 197 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I’m not defending Pardew here, but i think it’s funny how some people on here think they know how to manage a team better than a man who is actually employed as a manager.

• 198 WWYCD // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Still no Gonis then? Wonder who is in the second list of strikers we have, that lad who was in prison for rape I’d imagine.

Also why can’t the club work on more than 1 deal at a time? We are after a winger but only after we get another striker…best not to overload JFK with work I suppose he might go on another holiday

• 199 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM

@Paul124 /197

I think it’s nothing short of hilarious :-)

• 200 always look on the bright side of life // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Personally I think Chelsea will walk away easily with the title this season just for consistency reasons rather than entertaining wins.
    ManU and ManC I think will be inconsistent with the new managers and recruits.
    I think Arsenal will be in and around the top 3 all season and think if Spurs somehow manage to hold onto Bale they may be in the mix for the top 4 as well. Liverpool will be top 6. Swansea, Norwich, West Ham I can all see finishing top 10. Personally I cant see us finishing top 8. I think itll be between 10 – 14th really.
    Its gonna be fun to watch because apart from the top 4, there isnt a massive amount on any given day amongst all the rest.

• 201 Felipe // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

@WWYCD

Nice one. Why be positive when you can have fun mincing up the soundbites from various newspaper articles?

Why would you imagine it was the one banged up for rape if you didn’t just want to be negative for the sake of it?

• 202 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Kets

Wheras icant see man u finnishing top 4 this season… i also dont think they are poor enough to finnish bottom half. Moyes and the players they have are better than that.

• 203 JAMSHA // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

——————–Krul—————-

Debu————Mopi–Curly—————Santino

—————–Titote–Coboye——————-

Bent Arfa————————————Goofy

————Papa sisongo–Lock Remi————–

• 204 Jakenufc // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

@paul24
    Well said mate. This blog is a joke.

• 205 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Well we might have finished 5th a few seasons ago, but it was not pretty ;)

…we also finisth 5th last season (from the bottom) in any ways that was the big difference lol

• 206 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

@WWYCD

You cant give Joe to much to deal with in one go, otherwise he just gets confused and starts swearing :P

• 207 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

pawl

it’s a football blog, that s what you do on blogs, you say what you would want and what you hope the manager does, I do it all the time but I am not suggesting that I should be the manager, but I am telling you that I can and I will say what I would like to see done, now what is wrong with that.

• 208 WWYCD // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Felipe
    Be positive? Cos we signed a injured player on loan the worlds rosey now?

Why did I pick him because he was banging in goals for fun and would come cheap, didn’t day he’s a bad player. And no sure where the need to jump down my throat was but hey ho

paul
    Is he ever not confused and sweary?

• 209 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Transfer Sage

I agree that managers from lower leagues need to be given a chance and should not be written off from PL appointments because of it but it is a gamble. I’d rather have a manager with some PL experience than gamble now. I think (or at least hope!) that Pardew has learned a lot from last season and will be wiser and more flexible for the experience. If not, time to go next summer.

expatmag

I agree in that managers shouldn’t bask in the glow of former success but to be fair it was only 2 seasons ago and a hell of an achievement. In terms of the man losing his job I think it is fair to consider that achievement – at least ’til next summer. Another poor season and I will have had enough.

But as you say, I do think the success of that season was down to a few factors that aren’t all complimentary of Pardew. I don’t remember too many world-beating performances from that season – in fact, I remember a few that were about as poor as some of those from last season – and I think that 5th place was slightly flattering. In my opinion we were a bit of a surprise package and some of our signings performed particularly well. Teams didn’t underestimate us as much last season and it showed.

My main gripe with Pardew is the overly-defensive and negative tactics we have sen too many times. Defending a 1-0 lead with 65 minutes on the clock… madness. I remember being 2-0 up at home to Wolves after 20 mins (Jonas scored a beauty – the last time he scored perhaps?) and it looked like we’d batter them 5-0 at that rate. Instead we (tried to) shut up shop and defend the rest of the game. We drew 2-2. That was disappointing.

• 210 Tommyy // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM

It’s not really about his tactics or player choice for me, I think it’s far more fundamental and relates to just poor coaching methods and ideology.

A culture of fast, flowing football has to be instilled into the whole club like Martinez did at Swansea and Wigan. For me Pardew is the second or third worst manager in the league. I’m sick of hearing ‘Oh we’ll play good attacking football’ yet I’ve seen it about 5 or 6 times in his entire reign, and the rest has been awful, despite the increasing squad ability.

I want him out and soon.

previous post: 67% Of Fans Don’t Want Downing At £5M – Neither Does Pardew

next post: Southampton Much Stronger Financially Than Magpies – How Come?