Newcastle Captain Picks Up Groin Injury – Tim Krul OK

One of the things that has been encouraging in this pre-season, is that Newcastle haven’t had too many injuries,  and we hope that’s due to the work of performance director Faye Downey, who is acting as a fitness consultant at the club.

fabricio coloccini in training

Fabricio Coloccini – slight groin injury

But last night the Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini suffered a groin strain at Ibrox – but the manager Alan Pardew seems confident the Argentine International will be fit for the new season a week on Monday at Manchester City.

Coloccini was taken off after 73 minutes last night in the 1-1 draw, and replaced by Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.

Pardew is hopeful Colo’s injury is only slight and he was pleased that Tim Krul came through the first 45 minutes of his comeback from a badly dislocated shoulder.

This is what Alan Pardew said after the game last night:

“Colo has a little groin pull, but I don’t think that’s a big problem.” “The big bonus is we have everybody available,” “Tim has now played 45 minutes, and everybody else is up to speed. It’s good news.”

“The pitch was a bit long for our liking,” “It meant we had a slow pass out there.” “I didn’t think we were great, but we have really worked the guys hard this week, both on Sunday and Monday.”

“We’ve worked as hard as we have all season. We were a little below our levels.”

It was a good work-out for our players last night, and Rangers looked a good team, and should be back in the Scottish Premier League in a couple of years.

Their fans are as good as ever, and they have stood by their  team in their hour of need – that’s good to see if not unexpected – after the famous club were so financially mismanaged that led to the mess they are in at the moment.

But all’s well that ends well we suppose.

Newcastle now play SC Braga at St. James’ Park on Saturday night, and that’s our final pre-season game this summer – it should be a good game and we’ll probably see Yanga-Mbiwa and Steven Taylor in central defense, and maybe Mike Williamson could also get a run-out.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Rainrix

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

31st

• Mag.no

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Drop Downing and use the money(plus some) to sack Pardew. I really want the devil i don’t know now, and perhaps we can enjoy a manager that knows a bit about tactics.

I’m dreaming of a manager that can set up a tactic based on what kind of players he has available. Not the other way around.

• Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence)

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Ibiza – don’t worry it’s safe here. I’ve got rid of evil folk (you know trolls, goblins, mackems)

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I dislike and distrust Pardew, but I dislike and distrust Ashley more. The only time I want Pardew gone is when Ashley is no longer at the club, we’ve been bought over by some Geordie fanatic trillionaire and we’ve installed Pep Guiardiola as manager.

I mean, is that too much to ask?

• Toonboy_84

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I feel a spanking coming on if Colo doesn’t make the city game

• Toonboy_84

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Tbh we’ll probably get spanked with him fit. City have an unreal squad

• JackButler

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Ruddy

Ashley does so many things right at the club but appointing Pardew on an 8 years contract and Kinnear as DoF undoes everything in my eyes

• Indian Magpie

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

HAHAHA

Dirty mackems looking to offload Mclean to Championship

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

JB

Ashley has done more wrong than that. Defaming both Keegan and Shearer. Unfairly sacking Hughton who steered the ship following relegation, straight back to promotion. Re-naming SJP. Associating us with Wonga. Not capitalising on the momentum created by a 5th place finish. Keeping Pardew in his job following 2 of the most humiliating defeats at SJP which culminated in one of our most embarrassing PL season’s in our time in the league.

He’s the true poison at the club in my eyes.

• Indian Magpie

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

With Remy and Now Colo, pardew can pick his favorites

Jonas and taylor

• Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence)

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Good to be back. I’ve made a dozen comments and not one of them about the respective article.

So here goes. This article mentions a footballer. God that was difficult.

Right, back to talking about… well whatever nonsense we were talking about.

All though seriously I don’t like the comment about the grass. Howay man just keep your mouth shut every now and then.

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Ruddy

I don’t think it’s too much to ask, no. In fact, I think it’s the least we should expect.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Wizard….Are you sure?

Ruddy…Not at all mate.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

TDS

Good, for a minute there I thought I was being delusional, but I wouldn’t really know because apparently you need to be assessed by a psychologist before one can make that statement…

• Rooster

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Ruddy, ive moaned my tits off at Pardew, im mightly worried about thus fella, i go from one extreme to the other happt ar the signing ifca top class Remy, then instantly down about our other targets who should be here now and bedded in sll foe the sake of whatcsmounts to coppers in MA’s world, Pardews team sheet always pees me off, then out invonsistant performances always pee me off, then the next min am backing MA the way he does business, but i have to sat its getting rather nautious, i will be furious if we goin to this seasin wi one major injured signing, and they will know fully about it, just pat these afents ei gritted teeth like all other clubs have to ar this moment,MA would be the same if he were an agent you can bet your bottom dollar!!!!

• martoon

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Realistically I’m not expecting to get anything from the City game but hoping we can avoid a hammering. For me our season starts with the first home game against West Ham so as long as Colo & Remy are fit for then we should be OK. Negative I know but realistic.

• JackButler

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Ruddy

Not arguing with any of that mate, but having one of the best scouts in the game, making very, very good signings and then handing them over to a second rate manager is the biggest issue we have at the club right now.

Replacing Ashley takes a Billionaire willing to shell out massive amounts of money on the club and is very unlikely to happen as we are now a true cash cow for him with the new TV deal, replacing Pardew with a quality manager would instantly change the club

• MrMojoRisin76

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Ruddy.I’m not having a go at you,this is a serious question.What has changed your mind to go from hating and blaming Pardew 100%,to now focusing your full attention to MA now?.Seems your last few posts have eased off on Pardew.

• Generic Commenter

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I didn’t see the game but ofcourse kept track through the Sky SPorts update (god I hate that First Row Sports is going). Is everyone right that Cabay was a holding midfielder, sissoko was RM and Benny was behine Cisses? I can only hope that Pardew is doing this to test players. And from what I’ve been seeing Ben Arfa has been S**T so far. What’s that about?!

• Markaccus

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Martoon

I agree. I don really think it is negative to just want.to avoid a hammering at citeh. Lots of teams will struggle there. As long as we give it a go i will be happy.

• IITianToon

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Cant wait for the season to start proper!
    Probable man CIty line up:
    Hart
    Zabaleta–Kompany–Lescott-Clichy
    Fernandinho–Silva–Toure
    Navas–Dzeko–Jovetic

That left side of City is super potent. Santon has no chance against Navas/Zabaleta in my opinion. We may have better luck attacking Clichy’s side.
    We will get hammered, my prediction 3-1. However our real season starts the nextgame onwards.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I understand and agree with your frustrations. One major signing before the start of the PL to a squad who finished 16th is simply not good enough. MA and JFK have got serious questions to answer regarding this.

As for Pardew (in response to both you and JB) yes tactically he is pretty inept, we know we will never see strong consistent performances that excite us and see the best from our top players. If I genuinely believed Ashley would replace him with a quality manager, I would be calling for his head. At the end of last season I still was 50/50 about Ashley, and I thought he might have still had ambition, but this summer proves he has not.

I don’t want to see Pardew sacked, as the likely replacement for him will probably be JFK or Alan Curbishley or AN Other mediocre archaic manager. Faced with those options, I’d rather stick with Pardew, regardless how infuriating he is.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Mojo

Previously I had focused on Pardew as the problem, but now I think that the problem is Ashley, that he has no ambition and as such will stick with Pardew unless we’re in the bottom 3. With that in mind, how can I blame the manager when it’s the owner who is at fault?

• martoon

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Markaccus – settled in at work now eh! you had a late start?

• Ibizatoon

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Gereric….I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Benny is probably just championship level at best 😉

From all accounts, that is exactly where those players were positioned. I too am hoping it’s just an experiment, you know, because the same experiment last season was non conclusive….

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Ruddy…apology accepted 😉

Ibiza…seem Iwas lost on an old thread there myself; guess you are right I do have alot of experience in that certain area lol

• Markaccus

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

If pardew gets sacked into tje season, i am starting to warm to the idea of poyet. Ok, he has not got massive experience yet, but attacking attractive south american style football is in his blood, and he has conducted himself very proffesionally over being shat on by brighton and hove albebummin. I think jencould use the players we have to good effect. Id go so far as to say a keegen style team

• Ibizatoon

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Jesper…I learnt from the best 🙂

So, something else that cropped up in the Pardew interview that no one seems to have jumped on, but he mentioned that of course the aim would be to try and replicate our 5th finish and thus secure EL again….everyone still think he meant that he never wanted European football again or perhaps was that blown out of proportion…just a little?

• numba9

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Gomis sort ya agents heed out man and get signed. Also think munuain would be a awesome signing and Scott Sinclair get to work joke in here …

• Ginger

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I think we should all have bets on what the lineups will be against Man City.

—————–Krul——————–
    Debuchy–Collo–Taylor–Mbiwa
    ———Cabaye—–Tiote————-
    Sissoko—-Ben-Arfa——Guttierez
    —————-Cisse———————

• Markaccus

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Martoon

Yes i was at hospital with My middle son. He has had a couple of fits, we think due to his diabetes but he had a brain scan to check for epilepsy, because my oldest had that.

• Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence)

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Just doing my Fantasy Premier League – any reccomendations?

• Generic Commenter

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Ibiza,

I got the impression from the updates that Ben Arfa didn’t have the best of games. Behind Cisse is a spot you’d expect him to thrive in so you can’t really blame Pardew for it, although I’m sure plenty will have a good go. I also got the impression Guti had a belter! Or it was sarcasm I couldn’t quite tell?

• Ibizatoon

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Wait a minute…I’m not feeling my best today and have just caught up on something said earlier by Slank I believe…

Basically he said that since Sissoko arrived last season that Benny had played in the hole and Sissoko on the RW, but wasn’t it the other way around? Wasn’t Sissoko in the hole, hence the calls to swap Cabaye and Sissoko?

• Rainrix

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Bennys still a bit of a tubby lumpkins apparently. Perhaps he’s been missing a few of pardews new super intense training sessions?

• Markaccus

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Ibiza

The team displayed on websites and tv always showed socks in the hole and hba out wide, but i think they interchanged throughout the match…. as should be the case.

• MrMojoRisin76

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Ruddy.
    Ah,the lesser of 2 evils,you never know Pardew might surprise us again,because if he doesn’t,we all know we’ll be getting a new manager for Christmas.

Can’t believe Sinclair is close to West Brom loan move,we should be all over that deal.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Must admit, I’ve not been impressed with what I’ve been hearing about HBA.

He’s a luxury player, hasn’t played over 20 games in a season in the 2 1/2 years he’s been here and hasn’t shown a great willingness to get in shape.

He may be brilliant on the ball, but he is sloppy in possession at times, either picks the wrong pass or doesn’t pick a pass at all. He can change a game in an instant but he can also go completely missing.

This season will determine if he has a future here in my opinion

• Ibizatoon

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Wizard…I’m not doing it this year. Just another way for football to drive me insane 🙂

Generic…Ha, maybe Pardew was running the commentary? I said earlier today that in theory I don’t have a problem with Benny in that position, but the reality has never really worked out. I guess it’s to do with congestion in that area and he seems to work well with a bit more space as he has the ability to pull people out of position. Worth a try though, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

I really like Marveaux in that position, but do find he disappears a bit too much in games.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Markaccus…Thanks, not completely lost the plot then! I hope all works out well with your son.

1 2 3 6