Pardew – I’ve Earned My Spurs – Proud To Be Newcastle Manager

Newcastle manager has been interviewed in the Journal today and he talks about how he knows he’s managing a big club, and one of the biggest in the Premier League.

alan pardew wonga gear

Alan Pardew

And Alan reminds us a bit of when Chris Hughton was the manager, and he cannot believe he is actually managing Newcastle United, and it will be the biggest job he will have in football, and it seems that Alan wants the fans to know he is trying his utmost to bring success to the club:

“I’m very proud to be manager of this club, and I don’t say that lightly,” “There’s so many things that excite me about being here.”

“When things have happened in the past,  and you might question certain things that have gone on, the overriding strength of this club is that I know I am the manager of a very big club, I think one of the biggest in the Premier League. Therefore, my vision and my philosophy must be to bring success, and I must drive that regardless of what obstacles get in my way.”

“If there’s an obstacle in my way, I just have to jump over it. I think I’m the second longest-serving Premier League manager, and longest-serving manager at this club since Sir Bobby Robson. I’ve kind of earned my spurs, and sometimes in adversity I think the fans admire you more.”

“I like to think last year I didn’t buckle and wasn’t negative about the players, the fans or the club.”  “I just got us over the line, and I think that was very important last year. I’m hoping I’ll get the rewards of that this year. I like to think the fans understood I was honest and respectful when we finished fifth, and when we finished 16th.”

It seems that Alan is trying to persuade the fans who don’t rate him, that in fact  he’s good enough to be the Magpies manager – surely he hasn’t been reading the blogs lately? 😀

And maybe we are the only ones,  but if we can get Bafe Gomis through the door, we’ll have our best squad since the great Bobby Robson was in charge.

But it’s also true that the competition in the Premier League is much more fierce than it was when Bobby was around, and there has been some big money spent by the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City since Bobby was manager.

Both those clubs have spent almost £1B on their clubs, since their Billionaire owners took over – that’s just ridiculous.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Hatem's better than Messi

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Oh dear shut up Pardew.
    Why manage our expectations down so much.
    Are you saying one thing to the fans and another to the players?
    Or are we all getting the “we can´t compete with …” speech?

Everyone repeat after me … you too Loic …

We have no ambition … we can´t compete,
    we have no ambition … we can´t compete,
    we have no ambition … we can´t compete,
    we have no ambition … we can´t compete,
    we have no ambition … we can´t compete,
    we have no ambition … we can´t compete …

• ~Joke-innear~

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Stroking his own ego much? If us fans had a choice, he wouldn’t even be here any more.

• Tommyy

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM

No, no you have not earned your spurs. To do that we need to see progression on the field, and we haven’t. We’ve seen regression if anything.

• JackButler

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Oh God…………….please make him stop…………….please get him to just shut up

• paul24

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I had to stop reading that article half way through, i just cant stop laughing xD

• DokToon

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM

maybe he means hes earned his tottenham spurs?

• JackButler

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Not sure about earning his spur’s, wish he’s f**k off to them though

• Rowan Milsted

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM

(repost)

MrMojoRisin76

Fair enough mate, I sincerely hope you’re right! Bring on a season of fitness, ambition, attacking football and a top 8 finish! OK, I’ll scale it down a bit… let’s just finish above Scumberland 🙂

JackButler/Spoof

Glad it’s not just me! I’d love it (in erratic Keegan voice) if that happened. Not the rich-but-sensible clubs like Saints who are good for football but those mega-rich types who don’t have a financial care in the world… I’d love to see ‘em crumble.

Kets

Ha, I do agree with you that Swansea and West Brom could have very good seasons – I definitely expect them both to be pushing for a top-half finish and I was saying recently that I can see Swansea becoming a top 6 team soon. Saints are also making great strides forward and I expect they will be mid-table at least, though they do need to sign a striker. If Lambert gets injured they’re up the creek.

I’m considering putting a bet on Man Utd dropping out the top 4 but if they do it won’t be for long and I feel that Moyes is a very good manager. But as for Swans & Saints usurping Man Utd… I would be very surprised to say the least!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I would like to learn a little more about his philosophy…surely there has got to be more to it than just wanting to bring success 😀

…not that I disagree with that I am just a bit curious about what sort of football philosophy he’s got and how that is going to bring us success???

• paul24

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Poor Alan would get the shock of his life if he had a look a these forums

• DokToon

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM

just the fact he used the word “I’m” in the same sentence as sir bobby made me throw up in my mouth a little just now…

• Spoof

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Kets from previous thread

Kets

You are serious m8, seriously though, you may be right about the sides you mention, but we do not have a good side, Krul is a top keeper, Debuchy and Santon are both very suspect defensively, Colo is slow and cannot head a ball, Taylor is injury prone, Mbiwa lacks a bit of height but is generally good, Tiote is great if he concentrates on stopping the opposition rather than trying to play football, Cabaye is nowhere near as good as some of us make him out to be, Sissoko cannot trap a ball and is always played out of position, Ben Arfa is great when he plays his usual 10/15 games, Cisse is hit and miss, Gouffran no comment just yet, he needs more of a chance, Marveaux is inconsistant, Jonas is past it, Remy could be a god send, we aren’t that good m8, too many of us are getting carried away with the hype surrounding some of our players..

• Rotonda heights

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I t would be hard to resist giving this guy a smack if you ever met him.
    Earned his Spurs hahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nearly relegated 3 different clubs
    2 record losing streaks in 2 different clubs entire history
    Took Charlton from the PL to the bottom 3 of the championship.
    Finished Top 8 in the EPL only once in 14 years.
    Wants people like Bent and Tomkins.
    Got the job because he was a pal of a failed casino owner with no other interviews given.
    Still dining out a 5th place finish in between a 12th and 16th!

Oh enough already, it’s groundhog day and I’d easily be another half an hour!!

Basically yes Ash could spend more but we still have a great squad who aren’t allowed to play by a p..s poor manager who is only here by default and 52000 have to like it because everyone’s scared of the alternative.

• paul24

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM

@DokToon

He isnt even worthy of speaking his name.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM

spoof

fair points but why not play to your player’s strengths?
    no way is this squad a 16th place finish

• Pokat

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

“sometimes in adversity I think the fans admire you more.”

Hm Alan, could I put forward an alternative angle to that statement? – they don’t.

Spoof – actually marrer hate to disagree but I would say we have the players of a very good team if they were played and positioned correctly. Abilities take a nosedive when the coaching is bad and the tactics are shoddy.

• valle

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Tow best signings we could have made this season was Laudrup as manager and David Dein or someone simelar as DoF… Thats not how things turned out though.

• lesh

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

He may think he’s earned his spurs but if the horse doesn’t get fed enough, then Pardew’s gonna be trying to make a champion runner out of a pit pony!

• OhSholaAmeobi

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM

should have went after the Reading game, still maintain this.

• JackButler

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I have never known a manager in football to achieve so little yet think so highly of himself

• toon kk

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM

If pardew love’s his job its time he starts doing it better. We have a decent squad which struggle with fitness, f..k knows what goes on in training. Good players come in then seem to deteariate. Not alot to be proud of.

• sparky55

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Earned his spurs????? i wish he’d get on his fcuking cowboy horse and get the fcuk out of here.

Nothing like a bit of pardew self promotion is there?

• Rotonda heights

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Valle and oh shola ameobi

true and true

• Hatem's better than Messi

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Narcissistic egomaniac … wot a nob … he really believes that?

I can’t stand you Pardew, … as memories of the end of last season coming rushing back 0-3, 0-6, 0-1 all the sickening excuses …

• BandB

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Dok ….how’s things in the Lone Star state?
    We’re in a bit of a state here too…….
    Rodgers and Hammerstein once asked, “What’s the use of wondrin’?” I that’s how I feel. I’m sure something is playing out behind the scenes, like an invisible planet exerting a gravitational pull.
    Everyone wants to talk about positive football. And I will. When I see some to talk about.

• Spoof

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Rotonda

if you can remember just a few threads back I was saying exactly that, Cabaye in front of Tiote and Sissoko with Benny on the right of a front 3 would in my opinion get the best out of what we have, are we better than a 16th place finish, yes I believe we are, anywhere from 12th to 8th depending on injuries and fortune, but some people believe that we are only 1 or 2 top class players away from being a top 4 side, were miles away from that.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM

How could anyone admire him in adversity? is that when he ran down the tunnel after the liverpool and arsenal games?

• Pokat

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM

To be fair to Pardew, I think its a misquote, probably said ‘burned at Spurs’ and was taken out of context. 🙂

• winnynufc

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Forget when we finished 5th & last season.. This season is the tester. As i guy i dont mind AP he comes across & speaks well but for christ sake pleeeeeease stop starting with Jonas man he’s shite & please play the beast (Sissoko) in CM. If he dosent then the writing is on the wall!! HWTL

• Rotonda heights

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM

fair point again spoof but right now I would settle for just watching some decent attacking football for a change with people in their right positions and getting played on merit

• Pokat

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM

yeah lets not get the whitewash brush out for those mackem and scouse results just yet Al. Thats going to take some living down. Just had a cave dweller remind me of that this very day. 😐

• ciaran-ne

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Pardew did well in finishing 5th, and last season had a season absolutely plagued by injuries. Last year some of his substitutions were a bit dodgy to say the least, but I think he should get the benefit for the doubt and we should judge him between the season starting and Christmas.

Alot of moaners on this blog imo.

Who else would you bring in?

• Rotonda heights

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM

JB @ 20

spot on. Wish pardew came on here and read what people actually think not his bizarre perceptions.

• paul24

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM

@Spoof

Have to agree with you on some points. The squad is over hyped, i think some people have been using FIFA to get a reference of how they rate players. I think it’s a decent squad, and can be good when they are on form, but i think some of our better players are suffering because Pardew insists on playing the dead wood too much and his negative tatics seem to be having an effect on the players. I think a younger manager with better tactics could turn it into a good squad and with a few changes in personel could even challenge for one of the Europa League spots.

• JAMSHA

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Get French Football
    @ GFN_France
    48s
    RECAP: As it stands, Etienne Capoue
    will sign for Tottenham on Friday
    according to @Pepite92 . #THFC #TFC
    View details ·

so bales replacement

• DokToon

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

what ed didnt add, as part two of this interview:

“i’m the luckiest SOB to not have been fired for my performance last year, Ashley and the supporters have placed their faith in me, yet it doesnt really matter,as long as i keep cashing cheques. all of the doomsayers can p1ss off, and i have a 7 year contract, so who’s really the moron? i dont care if we end up in the MLS, or ligue 10, as long as i get paid, ill run my system how i see fit.”

“newcastle is a massive club, and im glad i signed the deal with the devil for my soul, otherwise id probably be the manager of the womans natl club in samoa”

“i guess im tellign the supporters, that, as a fan of american football, theres no reason we can throw of hoof the ball down and not be successful”

thank you for your time, and one last note, jonas will start, just to annoy people, and i love him like a son.”

• toon kk

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Apparently HBA looked totally unfit last night and struggled. Is he eating too many pies!???

• ToonandGloom

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Not sure if has been mentioned on other threads but apparently OM have signed a striker, so surely that should make the Gomis transfer easier now?
    Also said OM could be hit with two year transfer ban if they are found guilty of wrecking our deal with Lyon.
    Alan pardew is Alan pardews biggest fan! Was this grass excuse actually real or made up?

• valle

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Rotonda… Shola? You lost me mate 🙂

• DokToon

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

BandB its hot here, 108F on heat index yesterday..

heres soemthing positive for you…

you could be a mackem 🙂

but youre not, youre NUFC, and thats a very positive, wonderful thing 🙂

1 2 3 10