The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Southampton Much Stronger Financially Than Magpies – How Come?

2:29 pm, Wednesday, August 7th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 154 Comments

Alan Pardew has given a good interview in the Newcastle Journal today, but something he says seems almost certain to be untrue – and that is that Southampton are in a much stronger position than Newcastle in terms of purchasing players – how can that possibly be true?

alan pardew ally mcCoist

Alan Pardew shakes hands with Ally McCoist last night

This is some of what Alan said in the Journal this morning:

“When you look at the teams now and the money that’s being spent, you have to be honest and say it’s going to be difficult replicating that 5th place finish. But our ambition must be to try to do that.” “Demba Ba went to Chelsea, and that was a big blow for us last year. I think the fact that we never really replaced him got missed a little bit.”

“We brought in Yoan Gouffran, but we weren’t really able to replace Demba like for like. If I can replace Demba into this team, I think this team is stronger than the one that finished fifth. But I think the task of finishing in the top five is more difficult for us because of the growth of some of the other clubs who were just below us.”

“In particular, Liverpool and Spurs have spent a lot of money, and other clubs such as Swansea and Southampton have coordinated their financial strength really well.” “You look at a club like Southampton, and they’re in a much stronger financial position than us in terms of purchasing players.”

We have no idea why Southampton are in a much stronger financial position than Newcastle, after all they got successive promotions to get into the Premier League a year ago, so how come they are better off financially than Newcastle?

Surely that cannot be true – but the truth is probably they are more willing to spend the money they have coming in next summer than Newcastle are.

And Swansea were also only promoted a year ago, but they shelled out an initial £11M for Vitesse striker Wilfried Bony, plus an extra £2M in add-ons and installments, and Bony was reported to be a Newcastle target.

So Alan Pardew’s statement about Southampton and Swansea just cannot be true, and it’s more like those two teams plus smaller clubs like Norwich City and West Ham are more willing to spend the money this summer.

And don’t forget the Financial Fair Play rules state that clubs cannot spend more than they bring in – and those two club’s revenues are so much smaller than Newcastle’s, which was £93.3M in the last financial year – and  were the 20th biggest in world football.

We hope that the Newcastle manager will clarify the statement, because surely Newcastle are a wealthier club than those two clubs, who have just been promoted, and who have less than half the gates Newcastle get at St. James’ Park.

Are we missing something here or is that just a wayward statement from the Newcastle manager?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

154 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben3arfa // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Because their owners have more ambition than ours .. simple as that

• 2 sexyirishtoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Those teams weren’t paying the likes of €60k a week for the likes of Alan Smith, Xisco, Duff etc bleeding us dry for years. Maybe that? We still have a big loan to pay Mr. Ashley back..

• 3 Burni // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

We know we were run badly for years and that we had debt but surely after 6 years of scrimping and the additional money in from the TV deal must make this statement a load of crap. Surely we can’t be that badly off

• 4 JAMSHA // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM

——————–Krul—————-

Debu————Mopi–Curly—————Santino

—————–Titote–Coboye——————-

Bent Arfa————————————Goofy

————Papa sisongo–Lock Remi————–

• 5 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Who really gives a flying fk at the arse of a diseased monkey about other clubs finances? Let them be rich, and let them blow it like last time.

• 6 AmeriToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Look how much our squad is worth compared to other teams! This is ridiculous we should be aiming for 7th at least!

• 7 sexyirishtoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

That TV money is straight in Ashley’s pocket if you ask me. I reckon he wants to recoup his dosh and make like a banana. I wouldn’t mind a couple of budget years if it means he’ll leave at the end of them.

• 8 expatmag // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Oh dear

The season hasn’t started and he is making excuses already,

What kind of ,message does this send out to the players.

• 9 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM

@JAMSHA

I’m guessing thats a copy of the poster on Joking Joe’s office wall to help him remember the players

• 10 Edd Case // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Already a strategic excuse from AP.

5th?! Hah! If we finish 5th from bottom, I wouldn’t be surprised.

We have not strengthened the defence, which was one of the worst in the Prem last year and even if we also sign Gomis, players like Cisse, Remy and Gomis NEED some CREATIVITY behind them…

Our current midfield is simply NOT CREATIVE enough.

Cabaye is not a particularly good creator of goals, HBA maybe but look elsewhere and you’re left scratching your head – who’s going to create the goals???
    Sissoko? Not really.
    Tiote? No chance.
    Gouffran? Not many.
    Jonas? Nope.

We DESPERATELY need some real attacking midfield quality, an Ince, a Sinclair, maybe even Downing (should he be suitably cheap).

Until we sort out the defence and midfield, we are doomed.

We never control a game because we don’t score enough and ALWAYS look vulnerable to attacking teams.

• 11 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

paul24 from previous thread

pawl

it’s a football blog, that s what you do on blogs, you say what you would want and what you hope the manager does, I do it all the time but I am not suggesting that I should be the manager, but I am telling you that I can and I will say what I would like to see done, it is what is commonly classed as football banter, now what is wrong with that.

• 12 brian kilclines pony tail // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

liar – just tell the truth and people will trust you more.

wise
    llambias
    pardew
    kinnear
    ashley

all pathological liars, even when the lie doesn’t make sense, a pattern has emerged.

so if newcastle have less income and more expenditure than southampton then the club is being ripped off Rangers style, if the club is being stolen from by the owner then i want nothing to do with this embezzlement or these criminals. wonderful work alan, idiot.

• 13 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

@sexyirishtoon

All Ashley cares about is the merchandising and marketing side of NUFC, why do you think he keeps hiring these claments as directors of football, he wants nowt to do with it. I would be happy to see him pocket the tv money for the next couple of seasons if it meant he’d f**k off.

• 14 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

irishtoon…if Mike is pocketing money you’ll be able to it when NUFC releases their finances!

…and if he want his £130M back and he promises to make like a banana or even a tree then that’s fine with me ;)

• 15 pbandj // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I don’t think its a matter of financial muscle.. I think its the way we have decided to do deals now with 100% cash upfront. If you can like swansea and soton are prob doing and structuring the financing of such deals over a period of years.. which means they can afford bigger “deals” than nufc

• 16 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Hopefully this link works…

This is the pic I took from row A, so you can see the pitch.

And he felt the need to publicly complain about that?? Give it a rest, Pardew, you con-man. He gives the impression the pitch was like a park kick-about and unworthy of our Barca-like passing.

I’m sick of his endless excuses to deflect the team’s poor performances on the pitch. The rare shots we had were basically long-shots (due to a lack of overlaps and 1-2s around the area), Cisse had less than scraps, it was just poor all round as a team. Same as usual then.

My pal in Glasgow hasn’t been able to go to a Toon game in a few years, and he asked if that is what it’s been like to watch us under Pardew, now he could see the full pitch and people not making regular pre-planned runs, and I said yes. He was horrified being there live.

We’d already spoken in length earlier and loads of what we discussed manifested its way onto the pitch. He was thoroughly underwhelmed and fearful of the season, like me.

The most annoying thing? We have some very good players.

• 17 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

jesper

when I was self employed the not even the tax office saw my true accounts.

• 18 paul24 // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

@ Spoof

I’m not saying theres anything wrong with, i like reading peoples ideas on here, its just funny when people end them with stuff like “Its as simple as that” and “This is what we should be doing”, like they know better than an actual manager.

• 19 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

(repost – apologies)

Transfer Sage

I agree that managers from lower leagues need to be given a chance and should not be written off from PL appointments because of it but it is a gamble. I’d rather have a manager with some PL experience than gamble now. I think (or at least hope!) that Pardew has learned a lot from last season and will be wiser and more flexible for the experience. If not, time to go next summer.

expatmag

I agree in that managers shouldn’t bask in the glow of former success but to be fair it was only 2 seasons ago and a hell of an achievement. In terms of the man losing his job I think it is fair to consider that achievement – at least ’til next summer. Another poor season and I will have had enough.

But as you say, I do think the success of that season was down to a few factors that aren’t all complimentary of Pardew. I don’t remember too many world-beating performances from that season – in fact, I remember a few that were about as poor as some of those from last season – and I think that 5th place was slightly flattering. In my opinion we were a bit of a surprise package and some of our signings performed particularly well. Teams didn’t underestimate us as much last season and it showed.

My main gripe with Pardew is the overly-defensive and negative tactics we have sen too many times. Defending a 1-0 lead with 65 minutes on the clock… madness. I remember being 2-0 up at home to Wolves after 20 mins (Jonas scored a beauty – the last time he scored perhaps?) and it looked like we’d batter them 5-0 at that rate. Instead we (tried to) shut up shop and defend the rest of the game. We drew 2-2. That was disappointing.

• 20 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

1 simple answer to that, that no 1 can backfire on it.

every club has a football chairmen whilst we don’t it’s as simple as that.

• 21 expatmag // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Geez, where a couple of players away from being a top quality CL possible side and he comes out with comments like this,

Maybe he is about to sign his own death warrant at the club

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Spoof…I am not a tax manor a economist, but I don’t think it’s easy to hide money in a football club these days?

• 23 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

paul, i simply asked why goofy-cisse-remy wouldnt work was all….

sheesh

• 24 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

paul24

that’s fair comment, but it does no harm so let them.

• 25 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Expat
    Yeah but what are the chances of those couple if players coming in?
    Pards has no control over transfers and seems as confident as us that the fat controller will pay for them

• 26 hotdog // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

always look on the bright side of life – I did not know that, Cheers. You see this blog can be informative sometimes :-P

• 27 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

pbandj

That’s an excellent point and I think a lot of it boils down to that.

I asked myself whether that statement refereed to clubs having more money to spend or being willing to spend more money… there’s a big difference and it’s open to interpretation.

I also feel it’s important to note that Swansea are a team who have been managed and run sensibly for some time now and that probably reflects in their budget. It’s no surprise that being in the PL has afforded them a few extra quid. As for the Saints, they are actually one of the richest teams in the country.

It’s disappointing to hear that we are being out-muscled financially and it does read somewhat like an excuse but teams like Saints and Swansea are better off than we may think for reasons other than who has the biggest stadium capacity.

• 28 OhSholaAmeobi // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

maybe it’s because their owner is Nicola Cortese, an italian banker with links to Milan and Fiorentina and with a personal fortune believed to be around £3 billion. Doesn’t sound so far-fetched to me – they splashed lots of money on Gaston Ramirez and Jay Rodriguez as soon as they came up.

• 29 expatmag // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

ROWAN

I would possibly have agreed with you about giving him another chance but after last nights defeatist comments,he needs to go NOW

TADS

Mate, I would be happy wih Darren Bent now as the squad is looking far healthier

• 30 hotdog // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Laurent Robert -Does not look like there was many there!

I was up there for Ally Mcoist testimonial in 1993. It was brilliant and i still dont think ive heard a ground so loud as when they equalised bloody deafening!

• 31 OhSholaAmeobi // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM

And for those on about Downing…the story came from the Liverpool echo and it said that he was offered to us, not the other way round. He’s 29, has no pace and has an awful assist record. A certain Mr.Duff also cost £5m. It’s a nothing story and it won’t happen.

• 32 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM

jesper

neither am I, but I only had one source of income and I found it easy to hide, but with a football club having so many different incomes it would be a lot easier to hide, I’m not suggesting that it is happening, but it would be easy to transfer from one account to another in a perfectly legal way as well, without the fans being able to see it, we shouldn’t always believe what we are being told, afterall, legally Google are paying the correct amount of tax which they should be, there are always loop-holes, legal ones at that.

• 33 Tommyy // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

210Tommyy // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM

It’s not really about his tactics or player choice for me, I think it’s far more fundamental and relates to just poor coaching methods and ideology.

A culture of fast, flowing football has to be instilled into the whole club like Martinez did at Swansea and Wigan. For me Pardew is the second or third worst manager in the league. I’m sick of hearing ‘Oh we’ll play good attacking football’ yet I’ve seen it about 5 or 6 times in his entire reign, and the rest has been awful, despite the increasing squad ability.

I want him out and soon.

• 34 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I think the reason why Soton are in a better position to buy players than us is due to us having Mike Ashley as the man who signs the cheques, there could be no other reason other than that.

• 35 Tommyy // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Also on topic, They’re not in a stronger financial position to do so, they just choose to do so. Pardew pisses me off something chronic, does he not think we know about football? We follow it religiously and we look into the backgrounds of clubs and owners in terms of finances quite often.

• 36 expatmag // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

TOMMY

Couldn’t agree more.

He is far too defensive minded with little idea of the basics of the game.

I also feel that he is continually worried about his own future rather than having faith in the players he has at his disposal.

The first 5 – 10 games is going to be a litmus test for him regardless of any further additions to the squad or not.

• 37 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I hope Ed keeps posting aricles about pardews interview. I would hate for people to have to stop moaning about it and CHANGE THE FKN SUBJECT ffs.

• 38 Scottiedog // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Sorry Ed!?!?! This is a stupid question! Southampton are owned by the Liebherr Group who are worth over 8 Billion Euros!! Sadly this makes our owner look poor

• 39 one Tony Green // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM

@28 exactly mate. great post

• 40 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

expatmag

I think it would be pretty harsh to fire him off the back of remarks made after a pre-season friendly but I get where you’re coming from; it’s not just those comments but many, many others.

Personally I’m pleased we kept him for the reasons I’ve already given but I’m guessing the main reason was the fact that MA gave him that 8 year deal and didn’t want to shell out for his sacking… that was a ludicrous deal.

If we get off to a poor startI think there’s going to be an awful lot of pressure put on him by the fans. We need to be a lot more positive in our football; I doubt there will be a single fan arguing that we keep him if we have another season as poor as the last one.

• 41 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Tommyy

when it comes to other clubs do you really “look into the backgrounds of clubs and owners in terms of finances quite often.”, I have to admit that I have never done that in my life.

• 42 Tinman // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Didnt realise Kalou had a buyout clause of 2.6m. Could be a useful squad player. Dunno how much wages he would want like.
    Better option than paying 5m+ for Bent

• 43 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

And the general comments on here basically say this….”it is pardews fault that southampton are better off than us, simply because he is the one who pointed it out, truthfully”

• 44 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Hotdog, i took a couple more pictures, so I may upload them aswell. That was just to show the pitch really. Once they started to sing they put up quite a noise for the amount of folk who were there. “You’re not famous anymore” sparked them into life a bit :-)

I’m not sure on the gate, but maybe around 15-25k in the ground I would have thought, although I’m not great at those type of estimates.

• 45 martoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Spoof @32 – I’m not an accountant but surely any interest payments or repayment of Ashley’s loan would have to be shown in the accounts – I don’t see how this could be hidden.
    There is obviously money available with loan of Remy, Gomis transfer imminent and possible one other such as Bent. So it looks like JFK was given a transfer kitty of about £20m maybe.

• 46 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Markaccus

There’s not a lot to say about this article… S’ampton are clearly very rich.

So, here’s my attempt to start a new discussion – HBA looks unfit and Remy won’t play the first game at least. So, assuming we’re not playing 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1, how do you feel about playing Marvs and Gouff either side of Cisse in attack?

• 47 onepeterb // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Southampton owners have aprox twice as much as Ashley with a holding of £3b

• 48 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Spoof

If I did I wouldn’t even know what I was looking at. A rich owner doesn’t translate into a rich club. Surely you’d have to have a good grip on ecomomics/business to understand what you were looking at..? Guess I’m one of those old-fashioned football fans who spends most of his time looking at the pitch!

• 49 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Rowan

Front 3 off goofy cisse and marv sounds good. Although i am still not taken by marv yet. He hasnt done enough, not even for tje limited playing time he has had. He was supposed to be capable of more than he jas shown so far. If he does play i hope he takes his cjance this time

• 50 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Can i just explain this”Defensive minded” approach?.When you don’t have many attack minded players and the ones you do have are in and out of the team with injury the team won’t create as many chances,add to that our lack of strikers most of last season your going to be on the backfoot most of the game.I’ll give you an example WBA away last season,First half we go a goal up early,then Cisse misses a chance Professor Steven Hawkings would have scored,that would have made it 2-0 and we could have played with a bit more freedom,we created chances at will and should have been 2 or 3 up,2nd half they came out strong and we were lucky we didn’t get beat.My point is,if you don’t create many chances through our lack of attacking players,and you don’t score the chances you create,you are always going to be playing a defensive game.The blame for this lies solely at the door of MA for only signing a Dutch midget in the summer.

• 51 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Dunno if anyone has mentioned, but Ryan Taylor was in with the away fans at the back of the lower tier. Well done, Ryan.

• 52 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM

This guy is so far out of his depth that its frightening, the sooner he’s put back on the managerial scrap heap the better for all concerned

• 53 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM

martoon

I’m no accountant either, but what loan, Newcastle are a privately owned company who’s owner has not taken a loan to purchase us, so there is no way we or the owner could possibly have to pay any interest

As for the transfer kitty, I couldn’t even hazard a guess as to what JK was given, if it is £20m then he has still got plenty to spend.

• 54 hotdog // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Laurent – You still got there lad so fair play :-)

Yep – I bet that got them going. I really dont mind the jocks, ive had some cracking nights up there and with good football banter, they know their stuff. Mental like, but know their stuff :-)

We went up in a transit van with a couple of hammers in the back. The week before they demolished Sunderland so we were on our guard you could say!!

I cant find any pics as it was in the dark ages haha – ticket here though

• 55 Tommyy // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Spoof – You may not, however I know some who do and I have had a nosy around a few clubs financial reports myself just out of interest in my degree (Business Management). Not saying everyone does as I know they do not.

My point was that the way Pardew says things is an insult to many intelligent and interested fans of football who do more than just tune in at 3 o’clock on a Saturday afternoon.

• 56 Mister Tuff // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Whether posters could replace a PL manager is obviously a non starter. However, the inference that posters do not have a clue is erroneous.
    I like the analogy of art – I know a beautiful well painted picture when I see it -equally I also can recognise a poorly painted picture. I see the result of someone else’s efforts and can legitimately comment on the results. Some are good some are bad. Same with football -I am,as are others, able to spot a good team performance as well as being able to spot a rubbish team (or good players playing rubbish football). We can comment on the results and if not good we can comment that something in the”process” is good or bad.

• 57 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Still cant believe people are pulling pardew to bits for pointing out a stone cold fact about sotons wealth. Stick to his actual short commings instead of manufacturing stupid reasons. I have said this before and i am not the only one. It os fkn tedious.

• 58 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

HELLO???

IS ANYONE GOING TO TALK ABOUT FOOTBALL?? OR ARE WE ON PARDEW THE EVIL DICTATOR OF THE UNIVERSE ALL FKN DAY.

• 59 Ben3arfa // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 4m

Confirmed by French PFL hat Marseille will be “at fault” if Bafetimbi Gomis deal to #nufc collapses.

Well well

• 60 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

well said mr tuff

• 61 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Ben3arfa

Interesting indeed. French admitting tjst the french are wrong!!

• 62 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM

even better said mark, lmao

• 63 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Tommyy

in fairness to Pardew when he is getting quizzed about other clubs spending more than us, what is he supposed to say, can we really expect him to say that Ashley is a tight fisted twat who will not spend, howay lets be reasonable to the man, and as has been pointed out by 1 or 2 on here the Soton owner is a very rich man who unlike Ashley is not frightened to splash the cash, in all honesty is it fair to critisize the man for what to me is Ashley’s failings and not his own

• 64 preacher2502 // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Its not that southampton are finacially stronger its more that they are blissfully unaware. Yeah you can shell out the money on top players but at the end of the day it is a big risk. If the purchases do not pay off then you are looking at a nice bill come relegation at the end of the season.
    Newcastle are taking the safe approach, Yeah its not going to get you to the dizzy heights straight away (if ever) but is it not better to develop a squad rather that buy in a big player at every opportunity.
    Totally ready for the flack I will get from this comment but I think that Newcastles transfer policy is sound. Its like any business, you have to weigh up the pro’s and cons and unfortunately the reality is that european purchases at silly prices are not good business. Just look at the flops we have bought over the years for a fair extortionate price.

• 65 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Doktoo

I wasnt sure if i was being too subtle :D

• 66 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

mojo

i get injuries limit what you can do…but we have played a lot of defensive football even with a strong side out.

My issue isn’t defensive football as such, it can work very well…the way we play it is awful…we defend so deep and with only one outball it invites even more pressure than is needed on us.

if we defended in a more structred, balanced way i wouldn’t be as bothered.

• 67 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

There were reports in France that OM could not afford to buy Gomis until they sold Gignac

• 68 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Spoof

Exactly…. now see if you can help change the subject…its like putting a rowntrees fruit pastille in you mouth without chewing.

• 69 Rooster // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Marcaccus, caps lock on, not like you kidda, every time AP opens his gob somewhere along the line he pisses me off, am used to it but it still bugs the crap out of me the master illusionist mr Dynamo, give me strength.

• 70 DomW // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Is this to do with Financial Fair Play rules?

Presumably our wage bill will be added to our debt (interest free or otherwise, I guess it will still count) and compared to our income and recent player transactions. Whatever is left is our spending power. Teams like Swansea and Southampton must have a lower debt structure, lower wages and therefore greater spending power.

Just a guess.

• 71 gonufc (Release the Hatem Bomb) // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM

@Markaccus – I have not read a single comment which implies that.

People are annoyed at lack of ambition and a lack of tactical variety/ ambition/ cohesiveness etc. why conflate the two just to insult people?

• 72 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Markaccus

I’m more on the ‘for the limited time he has had’ side of the debate. I like him. I think he was set back a lot by the fact he was unfit when we signed him and has been dogged by his injury (mind you, that applied to most of the squad last season). He has shown flashes of brilliance and appears to be one of the more creative and exciting players we have.

Having said that, ‘flashes of brilliance’ do not cement a starting place and I have also seen him totally disappear in games. I’m hoping that a good pre-season, staying injury-free and competing for places will do him a lot of good and he will have a great season this time.

If HBA and Remy were both unavailable I’d love to see him given a chance in a front 3 like that – though it would have to be in the right game. I expect Pardew will favour a 4-4-2 with Cisse and Shola up top before he tries that but I could well be wrong. If we do sign Gomis then it will be very interesting to see how Pardew juggles the formation to accommodate Cisse, Remy & Gomis – I hope Cisse does not flank as he is poor in that position.

• 73 wynsleap // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM

We have an owner that doesn’t talk at all and a DOF and Manager that talk too much crap. What a combination.
    Everyone is in a better position to purchase new players than the Toon and that is only because we have a billionaire who has ageing moths flying out of his wallet.
    We don’t need to be spending Montezuma’s gold to make this team better – only some decent , well thought out investment where it is so obviously needed.
    We have around two weeks to the start of the season and we have ONE loan player in who’s apparently incapable of being fit for the first couple of games, FOUR others gone and a captain and defensive lynchpin injured already. That’s apart from a crocked third goalkeeper.
    The management and ownership of this club is a bloody disgrace from the top down and offers no hope for any kind of success this season.
    Never mind though lads – we’ve got attractive looking accounts books. Pity we couldn’t play them in midfield.

• 74 AndyMac // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Laurent Robert 32 says:
    Hopefully this link works…

This is the pic I took from row A, so you can see the pitch.

The most annoying thing? We have some very good players”

That is so spot on LR that I gave it another airing. You’re right when you say it looks bad from an outsiders point of view. We’ve become used to the crap that Pardwho claims is “playing to win” football.

Whereas we all know, or all of us with a brain, he plays not to lose and it backfires time and time again. One lone striker against a Scottish Second Division side says it all :(

• 75 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

DomW

But Swansea and Southampton have a third less income where gate receipts are concerned plus we have had the Premier League TV money for years longer than either club

• 76 Ben3arfa // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I genuinely think Marseille want Gomis and do not want Gignac.

The only club that has been linked to the “over ambitious fat gypsy” Gignac have been us !

Hence theyre probably trying to stall the Gomis deal until we pull out and turn our attention to fat boy, giving them the green light to move in for Gomis at the end of the window.

I dont think Aulas wants to sell to them though and I sure as hell hope we do not go after Gignac even if the Gomis deal falls through .

• 77 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

markaccus does not equal subtlety, not since ive been on this blog lol :)

• 78 Toonleee // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Breaking news
    Sky reporting that gomis has arrived in newcastle for a medical.

• 79 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Sage
    I’ve said this a few times,if we had signed the players in January in the summer the team would have been a lot better prepared for what the season had in store,that is a fact that cannot be argued with.I’m not saying we would have done great,but we would have coped miles better with the injuries.The fact is there are not many easy games in the Prem,you can’t turn up at someones ground expecting all 3 points anymore you have to fight for every point and if your team isn’t fully equipped to do that it will struggle.Fans were expecting us to torture QPR away last season but they forgot Arsenal played them at QPR the week before us and they only beat them 1-0.

• 80 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM

MrMojoRisin76

I get that but I have seen it in games where we have plenty of attacking players available. I have also seen it in games where we get an early goal and try to defend for well over half the match and that is just ridiculous!

Also, you don’t create many chances because of the defensive style. And when you play defensively and still leak so many goals…. well.

I agree with you in that you have to be cautious and not overly commit going forward, especially against certain teams and especially with the limited squad we had last season. If we were too gung-ho and played some of the formations some people post here then we would get ripped apart.

But there has to be a balance, you have to play to your attacking strengths when you have them available and you can’t defend for 65 minutes of a game. We have thrown away many points over the last 2 seasons by scoring early then being overly negative.

• 81 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Toonlee,no they haven’t.Don’t be a dick

• 82 martoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I’m sure this has been discussed before but Pardew is obliged to do a certain amount of interviews especially after a game. Reporters ask leading questions and try to trip him up into saying something contraversial. Pardew is normally pretty good but is bound to slip up sometime and say something out the ordinary and that is what gets reported with headline banners – he doesn’t just come out with random statements like some of you lot seem to think!

• 83 jimmysmith // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Porr old Pards, not to be taken seriously, Joe neither obviously, but big Mike, one serious son of a bitch!

• 84 mindshaft // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I get the feeling Pards is already getting his excuses in – we weren’t in a position to strengthen due to finances blah blah
    Tactics will remain hoof and hope which means that we’ll no doubt suffer more injuries which in turn Pards will have the old injury excuse at the ready blah blah

Totally underwhelmed by the coming season

• 85 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Rowan
    I think the West Brom example i gave explains why this happens
    We have had attacking line ups out and still struggled but i can’t remember once were we could put our full strength team out 10 games in a row,it was always players coming back into the team then somebody else gets injured.Like our 5th placed season where we had a reasonably good season with injuries.

• 86 hisnameisjonas // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM

It’s pretty simple realy. Southampton and Swansea don’t come close to the wagebill and the value of the squad newcastle had prior to this transfewindow. They have good foundation because they have developed steady ground with cheap and smart buys in the past along with good promoting of youth players. With the new tv deal they have alot of money to take them to the next level contra newcastle who only this year had a balaced economy revenue wise. Because of the new uefa rules wich is integrated they can use the money and still be balanaced because of their lower wagebill than newcastle. contrary to newcastle who have to trim the squad to stay with in a reasonble wagelimit if we are going to buy alot of new players. But still as beeing said by pardew and kinnear newcastle will look to bring in 2 more players if they can find good deals that is not economical irresesponsible. Hope that sumed it up for you ED.

• 87 Toonleee // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Sorry to MrMojoRisin76 and everyone els i just couldnt resist?

• 88 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Ok bud,touchy subject transfers.

• 89 toonluvva // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM

You can expect nothing but meaningless platitudes from Pardew until he files his constructive dismissal case.

I suspect that he would love for there to be more money for players, but he has to toe the party line in public.

Once he has gone I expect he’ll come out with a different version of events.

• 90 hotdog // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Which part of “You are not a top 4 Premier League team” do Liverpool not understand??

Live with it scousers just as you pillaged Peter Beardsley and more recently Caroll/Enrique, it happens.

• 91 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM

mojo

I agree every game is difficult…i am not saying we should be torturing teams etc

just i think if we weren’t so negative and defending single goal leads then we would have done better with the problems we did have, just my opinion of course.

• 92 yo-yo // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM

The bottom line is that our owner aspires to us being a stable mid table side.
    Everything about his approach to the club says Top Ten not Top Five. We finished 16th but have only one signing to bolster a weakened attacking force.
    Even Pardew surprised himself by gettting the 5th place finish. In Alan’s head he doesn’t begin to aspire to CL levels – at best he is a 7th-9th place man and that is where we will stay. If Alan leaves he will be replaced with another mediocrity – no use blaming AP for the poverty of ambition or his managerial appointment. He is Ashley’s man. It is the guy running the show who ought to be taking the blame. The very best we can hope for is that Alan overachieves.
    Alan is not total shite at all – he is reasonably competent, has been handed a pretty small deck of mostly Top Ten players with a few above average – but not a full suit of Top Five players. If the players or manager strike a run of confident and strong form we’ll do okay – but we won’t do amazingly well. Nor is the owner particularly bothered. He wants to protect his asset value in the club and sell at the right price fior him. That is the level of his aspiration for the Toon.
    Don’t blame the monkey – blame the organ grinder

• 93 gonufc (Release the Hatem Bomb) // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Maybe Pardew will release a book telling all the stories of the Ashley reign. With a bit of good spin for him as well “it wasn’t my fault!”.

• 94 BandB // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM

This season’s minimum expectations were set out in the club’s statement of a couple of months ago.

“We’re now looking forward and are entirely focused on the forthcoming campaign, with an expectation of at least a top ten finish.”

It’s there in black and white, and I’m happy to take that as an assurance.
    The manager may want to make it sound is if he’d be working wonders to match that. But it’s not his call.
    As Markaccus says, the debate could rest for a while.

• 95 DEEB0rider // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Swansea, Norwich, and Southampton have both operated at 35m wages and stayed in the premier league. We’ve been operating at 65m for the least two seasons.

We’ve operated at break even for two years, theyve operated at 20m profit for the last two years.

• 96 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

MrMojoRisin76

The West Brom game is a good example of your argument and I remember it well but I can think of many examples to the contrary. The Wolves game season before last is the best example; 2-0 up after 20 mins and ended up drawing 2-2 because we started to see the game out in the first half. In that game we had plenty of attacking firepower.

I do see your point re available players and consistency of starting 11s though, and it is a fair one. I also agree with you 100% @77. I just can’t help feeling that Pards is naturally negative and that is his managerial style, regardless of the players he has at his disposal. I’d love to be proved wrong.

So, do you reckon that, given a reasonably fit squad and attacking options available (HBA fit, Remy/Marvs/Cisse/Cabs etc) and a starting 11 that shows some consistency, Pards will be a bit more positive this season?

• 97 toon kk // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Pardew is told we are hard up all the time to keep him quiet, he knows we need strengthening in certain areas but it makes him understand why transfers don’t happen. BUT he knows MA could afford to do more but if he wants to keep his job he has to agree, then he gets the job off Mashley to explain to the fans times are hard.

• 98 ToonDownSouth // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM

This article is embarrassing. Southampton are owned by the Liebherr family, and hence have tremendous financial backing – more so than most of the PL.

It’s not hard to do a tiny bit of research before writing a whole article on something.

• 99 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Toonleee

Please try resisting in future.

• 100 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Toon KK

how i see it is that Pardew knows this is the best job he can hope for and therefore wont rock the boat as it could land him the sack.

• 101 Transfer Sage // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM

TDS

exactly….plenty teams have a super rich owner. Our owner has money but a lot tied up in assets and not free cash like city, chelsea, etc etc.

• 102 gonufc (Release the Hatem Bomb) // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM

@yoyo – that’s because it serves it’s purpose with minimum expenditure. Gets SportsDirect a huge amount of advertising across the world- more than any advert ever could. Think about the amount of people that will watch a man united match at St. James around the world.

Just like when we had to play Atromitos. he had all of the advertising boards changed to “SportsDirect.gr” just for that match!

• 103 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Club’s like Swansea and Southampton are simply spending the additional 30 million that they have coming at the end of the season through the TV deal while we only play cash for any deals so do not expect any big money to be spent as we simply have not had the money yet

• 104 ochytoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Southampton are owned by a Swiss banking family. They are the fifth richest club in the country in terms of owners wealth. It has nothing to do with ambition. They just have more money than us. Although, MA should spend a lot more than he does.

• 105 Rotonda heights // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

It’s funny how pro Pardew people always think all the criticism of Pardew only applies to the game just played in isolation.

It has been clueless, joyless to watch dross for ages now. We ask the same questions after every game seemingly.

Some time, somewhere, even Pardew’s most ardent and blinkered fan must look at himself and ask why am I supporting this man?

• 106 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

• 107 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Marveaux is our most creative player. He has to play if we want to win games. Ben Arfa is probably slightly better at dribbling but Marveaux has the better footballing brain. I wouldn’t be dissappointed if we sold Cabaye. Man Utd could come in with a £25m bid. Bring in Marvin Martin, Ryad Boudebouz and Siem De Jong with the Cabaye money.

• 108 Yorkgeordie // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

This is Pardew making excuses, in advance, because he just hasn’t got the confidence in his own ability, despite the arrogant appearance. Making excuses is all he does, all of the time. I don’t want to be negative, but looking at the pre season games so far, Pardew is sticking with tactics that just didn’t work last season. I don’t think he knows how to change. fear the worst and can see him getting the sack after a poor start. I hope I’m wrong.

• 109 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Rowan
    For sure,imo he done it when we finished 5th,i think we played positive attacking football that season,with a fully prepared squad this season and if we stay injury free i think we can get near top 6 again.If we don’t do well everyone knows he’ll be gone by Christmas.

• 110 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

JackButler

Hahaha!!!! Is it wrong that makes me laugh? ‘Cause it does! Now can that happen to Chelski & City please!?

• 111 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

MrMojoRisin76

Pardew will always revert to type, he’s always been a negative manager and always air’s on the side of caution

• 112 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Rotonda

By all means, if people insist on having a go at him, use the things you have outlined, if that be your oppinion. It is respected whether agreed with or not. Whats p1ssing me off is that somehow the fact that he said soton are richer than us has suddenly become a reason why everyone should hate him, ditto player signings which is jose kinnearnho’s bag. It becomes innane and pointless. I realise you personally stick to the football shortcommings we saw last season, so it is not you i am moaning at, but these people are diluting your argument by making stupid sh1t up

• 113 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I think if we signed Gomis and Alderweireld, we’d have a much better squad than Man Utd’s. I can see Swansea and Southampton finishing above Man Utd this season. West Brom could do well as well. They have recently signed some quality players.

• 114 SaintNick // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I see many have gone off the original topic, but thought I would try and clear up Saints’ finances.

In 2009 we were bought from admin my Markus Liebherr. (of the crane family, but he left that and set up a precision engineering business on his own) who originates from Switzerland. He was, at that time the 5th richest owner (sometimes different) in English Football. Markus was canvassed to buy SFC by the now Chairman (not owner as some have said), Nicola Cortese. (An Italian Swiss Banker).

Murkus said the club would be invested in comensurate with the league it found itself in and there was a 5 year plan to be in the EPL. We managed it in 3 years.

Markus invested £2m in upgrading the already superb training/academy facilities from his own pocket (Not shown on SFC books) and at the turn of our accounting year (even since his death), the debt has been written to equity. (Effectively leaving us debt free. This I suspect is the difference).

Markus died (far too soon) in 2010 and the Leibherr Trust now owns the club (with his daughter as trustee) but Cortese is still firmly in charge and you may have seena spat recently where he said if that was not the case, he would go having been offered a job at the helm of Inter Milan. It was sorted, he stays. The trust effectively controls the 5bn euro of his wealth. Couple this with having no debt and our ‘ratios’ are VERY good.

A second strand is Cortese’s (and many others at the club, Les Reid, Jason Dodd, Pochettino) wish to progress with dynamic attractive football, played in the main by young players, with eventually up to 20% having come through our academy (Barcelona type model)

I hear many laughing but Walcott, Nathan Dyer, Chamberlain, Bale, Lallana, James ward-Prowse, Shaw, etc, etc is not a bad start? (Add to that young talent like Rodriguez, Ramirez, Clyne, Schneiderlin, Cork). we could have this side and follow-ups for some time), home grown talent is VERY cheap and we no longer need to sell.

I don’t think revenues on matchday have much to do with it now, Certainly the Toon are much ‘bigger’ as a club with a more global fanbase (particularly in France!), but we are now getting much coverage in Japan (Yoshida) and Kenya (Wanyama) to counter that. The actual money’s from Saturday at 3pm are insignificant really to both clubs.

Hope that gives you some insight into ‘little ol’ Southampton’. You’re not alone in thinking, what? Southampton, but don’t be surprised if we feel the need to spalsh over £20m in a minute on a striker and MP has already said he is ‘tracking’ Damiao. Buying these players young is less of a risk, £12m for Wanyama. If he’s using us for 2 years, at 24 (then), if it works out in the EPL would he not be worth more? Andy Carrol was ‘worth’ £30m FFS!

Just my £0.02

• 115 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Kets

Marv has not proved thst yet. I would exact mote than just flashes of excellence, even during his limited playing time as i outlined earlier. For every excellent moment there has been 2 or 3 times he has messed up. He does need more time on the pitch, but he needs to improve while hes there.

• 116 ~Joke-innear~ // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Has us finishing 8th. Sunderland down in 15th :P

• 117 Markaccus // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM

*expect more

• 118 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Rowan

I’d love to see more of the ‘Rich’ clubs go that way mate

• 119 ~Joke-innear~ // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Normally I just ignore Kets.

But Swansea and Southampton finishing above United. Come on… lets be serious here. That won’t happen

• 120 Rotonda heights // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Ok you don’t have to spend fortunes, you just need a good scout and manager. We have a very good scout.

Krul Dutch international

Jonas Argentine international
    Gouffran French B international
    Marveaux French B international
    Bigirama England u-20 international

• 121 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Rowan

I was just about to say the same but you beat me to it, nice link Jack, it brought a smile to my face, which is quite an achievement as I am a miserable bugger !

• 122 JackButler // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Rotonda

Top class players, third rate manager and very questionable coaches

• 123 Jackel001 // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

@NUFC_Stats: According to French reports, Marseille risk 2 years of transfer ban if found guilty of disrupting transfer of Gomis to Newcastle #nufc

• 124 ~Joke-innear~ // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Rotonda

Shame that good scout and those players are wasted at a club where the manager struggles to grasp the logic of starting ‘in-form players’ over out of form underperformers.

We won’t go anywhere if he insist’s on pickings his favorites regardless of their form. I.e. Tiote and Jonas,

• 125 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I’m being serious. Man Utd only have Van Persie, Hernandez and Kagawa. The rest are average/poor. Rooney will struggle as he wants out. They need to sign about 7 players. Liverpool aren’t that great either. We could do with a player like Coutinho though. Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and City will finish in the top 4 this season. We’ll be challenging for 5th if we sign at least 1 cb, 1 attacking midfielder and 1 striker.

• 126 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I had no idea we had so many French internationals….

• 127 ~Joke-innear~ // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

@Jackel001

Never heard of that happening before… hope there is an article about it explaining the situation in more detail.

• 128 AndyMac // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

“They’ve had the money in the bank and have decided to spend it….we owe 130m to our owner after operating at a loss for the first 4 years he was in charge, including a season in the championship and high wages paid out to the likes of owen, viduka, martins, duff, geremi, smith, xisco, barton”

This is so grossly inaccurate that I’m not quite sure where to start.

1. Fatman didnt know about the £70m debt but should have done due diligence.
    2. Also didnt know the mortgage on the stadium had to be repaid upon the sale of the club – should have done due diligence.
    3. After relegation (whose fault was that ?) we needed funds to keep the squad ticking over even allowing for the parachute payment. He put in the funds and now wants them back after he sent us down with four managers in one season !
    4. Smith, Xisco and Barton were all brought to the club with Fatman in charge.

So sorry if the fatman hadnt been a proize plonker in the first place he either wouldnt have bought the club or reduced the sale price accordingly. The fact he did neither is down to him yet he wants us, as a club, to pay for his blunders ?????

• 129 ~Joke-innear~ // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Ibiza

How naive can you be. Haven;t you heard, we are France B squad.

• 130 Mister Tuff // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

rotonda -@105 – the reason why the Percy people “always think all the criticism of Pardew only applies to the game just played in isolation” can be explained as follows:-
    The Percy people (also known as the Blind Faith Brigade and the Legion of Dishonour) like to have the manyana or the jam tomorrow argument – as promising future success needs no proof/evidence.

• 131 Rotonda heights // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Markaccus

Pardew’s comments like saying Southampton have more money than us don’t really affect me in the slightest, although maybe it could be construed as getting a veiled and rather unsubtle excuse in should we finish below Southampton. Pardew is king of lowering expectations.

For me it’s all about Pardew’s football CV and his footballing style or lack of it. Throwaway remarks are largely irrelevant I guess unless there is some basis or context to them.

• 132 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Oh dear shut up Pardew.
    Why manage our expectations down so much.
    Are you saying one thing to the fans and another to the players?
    Or are we all getting the “we can´t compete with …” speech?

Everyone repeat after me … you too Loic …

We have no ambition … we can´t compete,
    we have no ambition … we can´t compete,
    we have no ambition … we can´t compete,
    we have no ambition … we can´t compete,
    we have no ambition … we can´t compete,
    we have no ambition … we can´t compete …

• 133 Rotonda heights // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Mister tuff

very succinctly put

• 134 DokToon // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM

BandB… good morning…

i dotn think pards could be positive if you hooked jumper cables up to him… some ppl are naturally negative, unfortunately, its our mgr…

• 135 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM

MrMojoRisin76

Fair enough mate, I sincerely hope you’re right! Bring on a season of fitness, ambition, attacking football and a top 8 finish! OK, I’ll scale it down a bit… let’s just finish above Scumberland :)

JackButler/Spoof

Glad it’s not just me! I’d love it (in erratic Keegan voice) if that happened. Not the rich-but-sensible clubs like Saints who are good for football but those mega-rich types who don’t have a financial care in the world… I’d love to see ‘em crumble.

Kets

Ha, I do agree with you that Swansea and West Brom could have very good seasons – I definitely expect them both to be pushing for a top-half finish and I was saying recently that I can see Swansea becoming a top 6 team soon. Saints are also making great strides forward and I expect they will be mid-table at least, though they do need to sign a striker. If Lambert gets injured they’re up the creek.

I’m considering putting a bet on Man Utd dropping out the top 4 but if they do it won’t be for long and I feel that Moyes is a very good manager. But as for Swans & Saints usurping Man Utd… I would be very surprised to say the least!

• 136 toon kk // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Was anyone at the match last night? I heard we looked unfit especially HBA. Cisse only had scraps to work with and we played Pardews favourite hoofball.

• 137 north east lincs toon // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM

told you 5th l
    place was a stroke of luck FA semi and 10th this season

• 138 Spoof // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Kets

You are serious m8, seriously though, you may be right about the sides you mention, but we do not have a good side, Krul is a top keeper, Debuchy and Santon are both very suspect defensively, Colo is slow and cannot head a ball, Taylor is injury prone, Mbiwa lacks a bit of height but is generally good, Tiote is great if he concentrates on stopping the opposition rather than trying to play football, Cabaye is nowhere near as good as some of us make him out to be, Sissoko cannot trap a ball and is always played out of position, Ben Arfa is great when he plays his usual 10/15 games, Cisse is hit and miss, Gouffran no comment just yet, he needs more of a chance, Marveaux is inconsistant, Jonas is past it, Remy could be a god send, we aren’t that good m8, too many of us are getting carried away with the hype surrounding some of our players..

• 139 lesh // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM

A statement that puzzles me is that of Pardew saying that he thinks the fact that we never really replaced him [Ba] missed a little bit.

Lost a little bit by whom? It wasn’t lost on him, the fans and Carr so one can only assume he means Ashley and Llambias.

As far as other clubs being better placed financially to spend is puzzling. They’ve obviously commuted some of their projected income stream to purchases and to do that, they’d surely need to borrow. Remember the debt Ashley inherited when projected season ticket sales and TV money had been used as collateral? Freddy Shepherd and Hall had been a little cavalier, financially but there’s no doubt they had ambition, possibly too much?

Maybe the Southamptons and Norwiches of the world are gambling but they appear to be spending wisely and not throwing cash around as though it were confetti. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

To hell with them though, what are we doing to strengthen our squad? Are we gonna invest in another striker or two, a CB, a winger before the season starts or are we gonna suffer injuries and be panicking before and after the window closes? I suspect the latter.

Now that’s surely got nothing to do with financial weakness but management wrecklessness.

• 140 Ibizatoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Joke… :)

Tuff / Rotonda….Much like those who are anti-Pardew cannot be grouped together in their opinions / reasoning, neither can those who are pro.

I think you’ll find most pro-pardew, if we can even call it that anymore, are more just worried about what would follow.

• 141 lesh // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:40 PM

SaintNick @114.

Thanks for that, very informative and the key is, Southampton appear not to have a £130m debt weighing it down. Best of luck to em.

• 142 SaintNick // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Lesh

That’s the main reason. Reading down this thread too has suddenly clicked with me why a manager we were ‘happy’ with in Pardew was sacked by Cortese. He IS managing expectations! Cortese knows only one way…forward and better. It’s why he often gets painted by the media as ‘ruthless’ or ‘dictatorial’. His letter with STs this year was very uplifting if you’re a Saints fan and simply ended with. It’s happening!

• 143 north east lincs toon // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM

ay ash is worth 1.5 bill ok he payed of allthe clubs debts but he still the tightest owner in the prem up the toon

• 144 Trent Toon // Aug 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM

The reason why Southampton is stronger financially is because of thee old now deceased owner Marcus liebherr. He left a fund for Southampton so they continue having funds for transfers. He was a billionaire

• 145 Rowan Milsted // Aug 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM

SaintNick

Many of my mates in Dorset are Saints fans so I’ve always followed them and I’m pleased they’re back in the PL.

Personally I feel that Saints are very forward-thinking and ambitious whilst being sensible at the same time. I respect them massively and I genuinely wish them well. I feel similarly about Swansea (though they lack the wealth); they are a well-run club who have made great strides and play attractive football.

I’m a little bit jealous of Saints as there is a lot of positivity and ambition there (after years of hurt though) and things are moving in the right direction. I’m also a little bit sick of the constant and repetitive anti-Pardew talk here (see next article) but I do have my qualms about NUFC. I think this season is a massive one for Pardew. As for saints, I think you need to sign a striker and then there is no reason you shouldn;t be oushing for a top 10 finish. As for NUFC… who the hell knows? I’ll settle for a mid-table-to-top-ten finish so long as it comes with stability and progression that we can build on next season, not go backwards.

• 146 naptoon // Aug 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Still the accountants praise the board and try to point out how dumb all us ” neggers” are for wanting our club to show ambition and act like the 7th richest club in prem and 20th in world.
    And by the way 11 million paid off debt to ash last year and prevent us showing profit.
    Just think how well we would be doing if ash had done due diligence before his purchase I for one am so grateful he didn’t and has now got the club to its rightful place as a smaller club than saints and swans through his magnificent financial stewardship.

• 147 noladonna // Aug 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM

And the Pardew mind fcuk begins I’m not buying it thou thanks Alan your moron

• 148 vipgreek // Aug 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Newcastle are becoming the laughing stock of the Premier League, its an embarassment having to read that a transfer is taking like a month because the heirachy at Newcastle thinks its at a flea market trying to bargain the shopkeeper to a minimum

• 149 Consett.Mag // Aug 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Unfortunatley, having the 20th highest revenues in the world is irrelevant, because the differences between our revenues and the revenues of clubs below us is marginal at best. For example as of 2012 we only had a turnover £12 million more than Fulham and £18 million more than Swansea. These clubs have likely closed the gap further since these financial figures were released. At the same time we have revenues £70 million behind Tottenham and £100 million behind Liverpool and the gap is getting rapidly bigger. We just can’t spend money we don’t have, long term we can only expect about 7th-8th at best unless we get billions invested in us.

• 150 DEEB0rider // Aug 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM

1. Fatman didnt know about the £70m debt but should have done due diligence.

The club owed 70m to the bank regardless of the owner. He gave the club 70m to pay off the interest bearing debt to the banks, replacing it with 70m interest free debt to the owner. What does it matter about due diligence? The club owed the money one way or the other.

Again…what does due diligence matter. He lent the club the money to pay off the interest bearing mortgage, and replaced it with interest free debt. If it doesnt go down as debt that the club owes the owner, it would go down as the owner owning a portion of the stadium. As it stands, the club own the stadium and owe cash to the owner.

Umm, yea. he loaned the club money to cover the operating losses for that year…so yes, he wants them back. Most club owners would have cleared out the roster and probably wouldnt have got promoted on the first try.

4. Smith, Xisco and Barton were all brought to the club with Fatman in charge.

I dont care who brought them in, their high wages contributed to the operating losses in the first 3 years of ownership, which have contributed to our current debt of 130m to the owner.

How is it that hard to understand? When the club operates at a loss…that money has to come from somewhere. Very few clubs have owners that cover the yearly losses (Chelsea, Man City, PSG, Monaco, Anzhi)…everyone else has to go to the bank to get a loan to cover losses. Our owner is our bank, however he loans out at 0% APR, rather than 8%. Whether its his fault or not, the clubs owes him 130m.

Ashley does not profit from this debt whatsoever. In fact, he loses about 10m every year that the debt stays with the club. If he had that money in an investment fund earning 8% interest every year…he would be earning 10m on it each year. If the debt weren’t owed to Ashley, it would be owed to a bank, and would be costing the club 10m a year. Its a real debt, theres no way around that.

• 151 AndyMac // Aug 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM

“Most club owners would have cleared out the roster and probably wouldnt have got promoted on the first try”

Says it all ! How many Geordies on this site or any other would use the term “roster” ?

I smell a stooge :)

• 152 JP...from The Rock // Aug 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I think it’s Pardew’s way to say to Ashley to spend the cash and show more ambition like those clubs mentioned.

• 153 DEEB0rider // Aug 7, 2013 at 10:07 PM

roster, squad, team sheet, lineup, whatever…you know what I meant.

The point is…the club owe Ashley 130m whether we like it or not. Which is one of the many reasons why we arent as financially strong as some may think…which is the topic of this blog post.

• 154 AndyMac // Aug 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

“The point is… the club owe Ashely 130m”

You’re right thats exactly the point DEEB. There are Fatman apologists around who take that view quite literally having read and sucked in the company propaganda.

Did Mansoor claim millions were owed to him when he took over at Citeh although they were in debt ? Has Khan at Fulham, Morgan at Wolves or the Malaysians at Cardiff ?

Answer is “No” because they all want what is best for their club whereas Fatman only wants whats best for him and his shltey chav clothing shop.

previous post: Newcastle Captain Picks Up Groin Injury – Tim Krul OK