Southampton Much Stronger Financially Than Magpies – How Come?

Alan Pardew has given a good interview in the Newcastle Journal today, but something he says seems almost certain to be untrue – and that is that Southampton are in a much stronger position than Newcastle in terms of purchasing players – how can that possibly be true?

alan pardew ally mcCoist

Alan Pardew shakes hands with Ally McCoist last night

This is some of what Alan said in the Journal this morning:

“When you look at the teams now and the money that’s being spent, you have to be honest and say it’s going to be difficult replicating that 5th place finish. But our ambition must be to try to do that.” “Demba Ba went to Chelsea, and that was a big blow for us last year. I think the fact that we never really replaced him got missed a little bit.”

“We brought in Yoan Gouffran, but we weren’t really able to replace Demba like for like. If I can replace Demba into this team, I think this team is stronger than the one that finished fifth. But I think the task of finishing in the top five is more difficult for us because of the growth of some of the other clubs who were just below us.”

“In particular, Liverpool and Spurs have spent a lot of money, and other clubs such as Swansea and Southampton have coordinated their financial strength really well.” “You look at a club like Southampton, and they’re in a much stronger financial position than us in terms of purchasing players.”

We have no idea why Southampton are in a much stronger financial position than Newcastle, after all they got successive promotions to get into the Premier League a year ago, so how come they are better off financially than Newcastle?

Surely that cannot be true – but the truth is probably they are more willing to spend the money they have coming in next summer than Newcastle are.

And Swansea were also only promoted a year ago, but they shelled out an initial £11M for Vitesse striker Wilfried Bony, plus an extra £2M in add-ons and installments, and Bony was reported to be a Newcastle target.

So Alan Pardew’s statement about Southampton and Swansea just cannot be true, and it’s more like those two teams plus smaller clubs like Norwich City and West Ham are more willing to spend the money this summer.

And don’t forget the Financial Fair Play rules state that clubs cannot spend more than they bring in – and those two club’s revenues are so much smaller than Newcastle’s, which was £93.3M in the last financial year – and  were the 20th biggest in world football.

We hope that the Newcastle manager will clarify the statement, because surely Newcastle are a wealthier club than those two clubs, who have just been promoted, and who have less than half the gates Newcastle get at St. James’ Park.

Are we missing something here or is that just a wayward statement from the Newcastle manager?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Ben3arfa

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Because their owners have more ambition than ours .. simple as that

• sexyirishtoon

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Those teams weren’t paying the likes of €60k a week for the likes of Alan Smith, Xisco, Duff etc bleeding us dry for years. Maybe that? We still have a big loan to pay Mr. Ashley back..

• Burni

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

We know we were run badly for years and that we had debt but surely after 6 years of scrimping and the additional money in from the TV deal must make this statement a load of crap. Surely we can’t be that badly off

• JAMSHA

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM

——————–Krul—————-

Debu————Mopi–Curly—————Santino

—————–Titote–Coboye——————-

Bent Arfa————————————Goofy

————Papa sisongo–Lock Remi————–

• Markaccus

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Who really gives a flying fk at the arse of a diseased monkey about other clubs finances? Let them be rich, and let them blow it like last time.

• AmeriToon

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Look how much our squad is worth compared to other teams! This is ridiculous we should be aiming for 7th at least!

• sexyirishtoon

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

That TV money is straight in Ashley’s pocket if you ask me. I reckon he wants to recoup his dosh and make like a banana. I wouldn’t mind a couple of budget years if it means he’ll leave at the end of them.

• expatmag

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Oh dear

The season hasn’t started and he is making excuses already,

What kind of ,message does this send out to the players.

• paul24

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM

@JAMSHA

I’m guessing thats a copy of the poster on Joking Joe’s office wall to help him remember the players

• Edd Case

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Already a strategic excuse from AP.

5th?! Hah! If we finish 5th from bottom, I wouldn’t be surprised.

We have not strengthened the defence, which was one of the worst in the Prem last year and even if we also sign Gomis, players like Cisse, Remy and Gomis NEED some CREATIVITY behind them…

Our current midfield is simply NOT CREATIVE enough.

Cabaye is not a particularly good creator of goals, HBA maybe but look elsewhere and you’re left scratching your head – who’s going to create the goals???
    Sissoko? Not really.
    Tiote? No chance.
    Gouffran? Not many.
    Jonas? Nope.

We DESPERATELY need some real attacking midfield quality, an Ince, a Sinclair, maybe even Downing (should he be suitably cheap).

Until we sort out the defence and midfield, we are doomed.

We never control a game because we don’t score enough and ALWAYS look vulnerable to attacking teams.

• Spoof

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

paul24 from previous thread

pawl

it’s a football blog, that s what you do on blogs, you say what you would want and what you hope the manager does, I do it all the time but I am not suggesting that I should be the manager, but I am telling you that I can and I will say what I would like to see done, it is what is commonly classed as football banter, now what is wrong with that.

• brian kilclines pony tail

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

liar – just tell the truth and people will trust you more.

wise
    llambias
    pardew
    kinnear
    ashley

all pathological liars, even when the lie doesn’t make sense, a pattern has emerged.

so if newcastle have less income and more expenditure than southampton then the club is being ripped off Rangers style, if the club is being stolen from by the owner then i want nothing to do with this embezzlement or these criminals. wonderful work alan, idiot.

• paul24

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

@sexyirishtoon

All Ashley cares about is the merchandising and marketing side of NUFC, why do you think he keeps hiring these claments as directors of football, he wants nowt to do with it. I would be happy to see him pocket the tv money for the next couple of seasons if it meant he’d f**k off.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

irishtoon…if Mike is pocketing money you’ll be able to it when NUFC releases their finances!

…and if he want his £130M back and he promises to make like a banana or even a tree then that’s fine with me 😉

• pbandj

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I don’t think its a matter of financial muscle.. I think its the way we have decided to do deals now with 100% cash upfront. If you can like swansea and soton are prob doing and structuring the financing of such deals over a period of years.. which means they can afford bigger “deals” than nufc

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Hopefully this link works…

This is the pic I took from row A, so you can see the pitch.

And he felt the need to publicly complain about that?? Give it a rest, Pardew, you con-man. He gives the impression the pitch was like a park kick-about and unworthy of our Barca-like passing.

I’m sick of his endless excuses to deflect the team’s poor performances on the pitch. The rare shots we had were basically long-shots (due to a lack of overlaps and 1-2s around the area), Cisse had less than scraps, it was just poor all round as a team. Same as usual then.

My pal in Glasgow hasn’t been able to go to a Toon game in a few years, and he asked if that is what it’s been like to watch us under Pardew, now he could see the full pitch and people not making regular pre-planned runs, and I said yes. He was horrified being there live.

We’d already spoken in length earlier and loads of what we discussed manifested its way onto the pitch. He was thoroughly underwhelmed and fearful of the season, like me.

The most annoying thing? We have some very good players.

• Spoof

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

jesper

when I was self employed the not even the tax office saw my true accounts.

• paul24

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

@ Spoof

I’m not saying theres anything wrong with, i like reading peoples ideas on here, its just funny when people end them with stuff like “Its as simple as that” and “This is what we should be doing”, like they know better than an actual manager.

• Rowan Milsted

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

(repost – apologies)

Transfer Sage

I agree that managers from lower leagues need to be given a chance and should not be written off from PL appointments because of it but it is a gamble. I’d rather have a manager with some PL experience than gamble now. I think (or at least hope!) that Pardew has learned a lot from last season and will be wiser and more flexible for the experience. If not, time to go next summer.

expatmag

I agree in that managers shouldn’t bask in the glow of former success but to be fair it was only 2 seasons ago and a hell of an achievement. In terms of the man losing his job I think it is fair to consider that achievement – at least ’til next summer. Another poor season and I will have had enough.

But as you say, I do think the success of that season was down to a few factors that aren’t all complimentary of Pardew. I don’t remember too many world-beating performances from that season – in fact, I remember a few that were about as poor as some of those from last season – and I think that 5th place was slightly flattering. In my opinion we were a bit of a surprise package and some of our signings performed particularly well. Teams didn’t underestimate us as much last season and it showed.

My main gripe with Pardew is the overly-defensive and negative tactics we have sen too many times. Defending a 1-0 lead with 65 minutes on the clock… madness. I remember being 2-0 up at home to Wolves after 20 mins (Jonas scored a beauty – the last time he scored perhaps?) and it looked like we’d batter them 5-0 at that rate. Instead we (tried to) shut up shop and defend the rest of the game. We drew 2-2. That was disappointing.

• Black and White with an army lol

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

1 simple answer to that, that no 1 can backfire on it.

every club has a football chairmen whilst we don’t it’s as simple as that.

• expatmag

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Geez, where a couple of players away from being a top quality CL possible side and he comes out with comments like this,

Maybe he is about to sign his own death warrant at the club

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Spoof…I am not a tax manor a economist, but I don’t think it’s easy to hide money in a football club these days?

• DokToon

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

paul, i simply asked why goofy-cisse-remy wouldnt work was all….

sheesh

• Spoof

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

paul24

that’s fair comment, but it does no harm so let them.

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Expat
    Yeah but what are the chances of those couple if players coming in?
    Pards has no control over transfers and seems as confident as us that the fat controller will pay for them

• hotdog

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

always look on the bright side of life – I did not know that, Cheers. You see this blog can be informative sometimes 😛

• Rowan Milsted

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

pbandj

That’s an excellent point and I think a lot of it boils down to that.

I asked myself whether that statement refereed to clubs having more money to spend or being willing to spend more money… there’s a big difference and it’s open to interpretation.

I also feel it’s important to note that Swansea are a team who have been managed and run sensibly for some time now and that probably reflects in their budget. It’s no surprise that being in the PL has afforded them a few extra quid. As for the Saints, they are actually one of the richest teams in the country.

It’s disappointing to hear that we are being out-muscled financially and it does read somewhat like an excuse but teams like Saints and Swansea are better off than we may think for reasons other than who has the biggest stadium capacity.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

maybe it’s because their owner is Nicola Cortese, an italian banker with links to Milan and Fiorentina and with a personal fortune believed to be around £3 billion. Doesn’t sound so far-fetched to me – they splashed lots of money on Gaston Ramirez and Jay Rodriguez as soon as they came up.

• expatmag

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

ROWAN

I would possibly have agreed with you about giving him another chance but after last nights defeatist comments,he needs to go NOW

TADS

Mate, I would be happy wih Darren Bent now as the squad is looking far healthier

• hotdog

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Laurent Robert -Does not look like there was many there!

I was up there for Ally Mcoist testimonial in 1993. It was brilliant and i still dont think ive heard a ground so loud as when they equalised bloody deafening!

• OhSholaAmeobi

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM

And for those on about Downing…the story came from the Liverpool echo and it said that he was offered to us, not the other way round. He’s 29, has no pace and has an awful assist record. A certain Mr.Duff also cost £5m. It’s a nothing story and it won’t happen.

• Spoof

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM

jesper

neither am I, but I only had one source of income and I found it easy to hide, but with a football club having so many different incomes it would be a lot easier to hide, I’m not suggesting that it is happening, but it would be easy to transfer from one account to another in a perfectly legal way as well, without the fans being able to see it, we shouldn’t always believe what we are being told, afterall, legally Google are paying the correct amount of tax which they should be, there are always loop-holes, legal ones at that.

• Tommyy

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

210Tommyy // Aug 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM

It’s not really about his tactics or player choice for me, I think it’s far more fundamental and relates to just poor coaching methods and ideology.

A culture of fast, flowing football has to be instilled into the whole club like Martinez did at Swansea and Wigan. For me Pardew is the second or third worst manager in the league. I’m sick of hearing ‘Oh we’ll play good attacking football’ yet I’ve seen it about 5 or 6 times in his entire reign, and the rest has been awful, despite the increasing squad ability.

I want him out and soon.

• Spoof

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I think the reason why Soton are in a better position to buy players than us is due to us having Mike Ashley as the man who signs the cheques, there could be no other reason other than that.

• Tommyy

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Also on topic, They’re not in a stronger financial position to do so, they just choose to do so. Pardew pisses me off something chronic, does he not think we know about football? We follow it religiously and we look into the backgrounds of clubs and owners in terms of finances quite often.

• expatmag

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

TOMMY

Couldn’t agree more.

He is far too defensive minded with little idea of the basics of the game.

I also feel that he is continually worried about his own future rather than having faith in the players he has at his disposal.

The first 5 – 10 games is going to be a litmus test for him regardless of any further additions to the squad or not.

• Markaccus

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I hope Ed keeps posting aricles about pardews interview. I would hate for people to have to stop moaning about it and CHANGE THE FKN SUBJECT ffs.

• Scottiedog

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Sorry Ed!?!?! This is a stupid question! Southampton are owned by the Liebherr Group who are worth over 8 Billion Euros!! Sadly this makes our owner look poor

• one Tony Green

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM

@28 exactly mate. great post

• Rowan Milsted

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

expatmag

I think it would be pretty harsh to fire him off the back of remarks made after a pre-season friendly but I get where you’re coming from; it’s not just those comments but many, many others.

Personally I’m pleased we kept him for the reasons I’ve already given but I’m guessing the main reason was the fact that MA gave him that 8 year deal and didn’t want to shell out for his sacking… that was a ludicrous deal.

If we get off to a poor startI think there’s going to be an awful lot of pressure put on him by the fans. We need to be a lot more positive in our football; I doubt there will be a single fan arguing that we keep him if we have another season as poor as the last one.