The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Marseilles Accused Of Sinking Newcastle’s Move For Gomis

9:05 am, Thursday, August 8th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

We reported early yesterday that Lyon President Jean-Michael Aulas said he filed an official complaint with the French Professional Football League (FPL) against French club Marseilles, accusing them of trying to derail Bafetimbi Gomis’ transfer to Newcastle.

bafetimbi gomis - pink

Bafe Gomis – patiently waiting

And the French FPL have now officially responded to that charge and they issued this statement:

“If there is proof, there will be a debate before the commission.” “Mr Aulas says that during negotiations between the representatives of Bafetimbi Gomis and Newcastle, Olympique de Marseille intervened to make contact with the player and his agents without having warned Lyon.”

“Something which the text of the regulation sets out.” “And, as a result, if the negotiations with Newcastle should collapse, it would be Marseille’s fault.”

It’s not clear whether this will help or hinder Newcastle’s attempts to get Gomis to Newcastle, but Newcastle are said to be still hopeful of pulling off the deal.

But with only about 26 days left in the transfer window, Newcastle may have to look elsewhere if this deal cannot be sorted quickly.

If Newcastle were going to bring in three strikers this summer, they could aggressively go after Darren Bent of Aston Villa, but it looks like Fulham have had a £4.5M bid turned down for the striker, and that’s getting expensive for a 29 year-old.

And Joe Kinnear said last Sunday Newcastle have a B list of strikers ll ready, if they cannot get the strikers on their A list, so we suppose we could go after whoever is at the top of that list.

And Newcastle could always do a Debuchy, and bring Gomis in during the January transfer window, but a new deal would need to be agreed with Lyon, and the fee would have to be reduced – and that may even work if we can another top striker in this month.

But it seems wrong that a club like Marseilles should be allowed to be underhand and break the rules in an attempt to derail the Newcastle deal, but the wheels of French justice do not move quickly unfortunately.

Aulas had said last Monday that he thought the Gomis transfer to Newcastle would take 8 days to complete, but it could now be longer than that,

Cisse, Remy and Gomis at Newcastle would be simply awesome, and Darren Bent in there would make our strike force even stronger.

What do you think Newcastle should do now?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

39 responses so far ↓

• 1 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Gomis didn´t have to listen to Marseille … says a lot that he has.

• 2 Rainrix // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Has joe called anyone at marseille a cnut yet?

• 3 clinath@ed // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM

ibiza….I was under the impression that went away in the 70s..money changed hands, and the negatives handed over. Promises were made it would never be mentioned again. Moving to an island in the Med doesn’t abdicate you of your responsibilities…..getting daft now!

• 4 Rotonda heights // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Subject: Re: ‘Is Pardew the biggest obstacle to NUFC success’.

As the squad stands now and with hopefully a couple of additions, yes he is. The fact he can’t see Sissoko as being a box to box midfielder I find maddening.

He is a narcissistic p…k and as I said elsewhere he’s becoming my least favourite manager ever. Remy is for me a major missing link but I fear that pardew will avoid playing the obvious forward three with cabaye feeding and sissoko bringing the ball out and Tiote or Anita holding – that everyone else seems to see.

He’s arrogant he CONSTANTLY make excuses (as I’ve made clear, my pet hate in authority) and he thinks he’s the bees knees to boot- he’s jut the sort of person I avoid in real life! What a t..t. No humility at all and would rather blame everything or anything rather than reflect on his own immensely flawed decisions.

Edited by carlosvendetta 7/8/2013 21:11

• 5 cyprus // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Gomis would be ‘nice’ but now we now need two tricky 7 mil wingers! Yes to Downing too. We can only play 1 or 2 CF’s and the trend is to have just one through and through CF on the field. So, should Remy be fit (and free) he’ll be masquerading as a winger if he’s on with Cisse. BTW this could be a good combination if they hit it off, but still, we are missing real wingers which even the Stokes of this world have.

• 6 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Forwards need to have chances created for them. Jonas plays left wing, so there is one less avenue for the forwards to score from. That is a waste of a supply line. The whole team should be based around creating chances for the forwards to score from. Goals win games. Possession of the ball is defending, not just clearing your lines and preparing your position to do it again.

We struggled massively to do that even against a lower league Rangers side. Same cluelessless and abysmal chance creation. We should have been getting finely tuned for the season ahead, not looking like we haven’t a clue what our teammate is going to do next.

They are a team of very good players which we have, and we should be seeing a very smooth, cohesive, fluid, confident and inter-linking display most weeks. This is developed on the training pitch. In our case, it is not.

• 7 Bearsize // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Pardew is poo!

• 8 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Ohh those cheeky scoundrels!

Seriously though gomis and his agents would no this is a violation of league rules as do marseille
    The lad has stated he wants to go to OM just move on

At the end of the day we still need a CF, no one wants to see another long summer saga of us desperately chasing one target

Get your list Joey lad time to move on to the next target

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM

In Pardews first season that 3-1 win against Lpool bought him a lot of time despite that embarrassment at Stevenage, the eleven match unbeaten run actually had people believing in him despite the dross that was being served up, I was unlucky enough to only witness some of the worst football seen at SJP since the PL began, last season I think a lot of people has sympathy for him due to the great height that Mashley shat on him from and only the extreme Pardew haters would have expected five French players with no PL experience to settle in straight away, so if things don’t go well this season and we see some of his usual dross being played I think the crowds patience will run out without thinking about the consequences of who will replace him.

• 10 toon1707 // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM

All these reports that he wants to join us if that is true how can marseille speaking to him hinder the deal if he wanted to join us he would have told marseille to do one the fact he obviously has not speaks volumes to me

• 11 Fridge // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Ibiza – from previous post

I agree with you in the fact that some people on here drive it to the extreme, and the stupid one-line-remarks. I dont get why they even bother posting it. I tend not to pay attention to it myself.

• 12 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I also disagree when people say on paper this is the strongest squad we’ve had

For it to be the strongest that has to be all over the pitch

We have absolutely zero width in the team
    We have no creativity in midfield either
    We desperately need a LW, and a CAM because no matter how many people put benny there in there fantasy line up the lad has proved time and time again he can’t play there

• 13 bills-son // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Cyprus, from your previous post re coaching.

The difference is I’m not shouting that Pardew is a great coach or a cr@p one – I’m just pointing out that screaming “idiot” at every word he says or decision he makes is utterly boring.

The fact is Prem results show Pardew had a decent first season, an excellent second season and a poor third season. I’m on the fence about Pardew and I’ve said since the end of last season that I’ll judge him after 10 games of this season. Nothings changed.

• 14 Rotonda heights // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

What a ludicrous argument by whoever it was that said we the fans don’t know as much as Pardew because he’s a qualified coach. I’ve never heard anything so daft in all my life.

SAF never had a coaching qualification in his life, does that make Pardew better than him?

• 15 lewisnufc // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

it simply has to be a 4-3-3

krul
    debuchy mbiwa colo santon

cabaye tiote sissoko

ben-arfa cisse remy

Surely it cant be anything else. It doesn’t take the most intelligent football fan to realise either.

• 16 Felipe // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Played some wonderful football finishing 5th and snatched some points from defeat when playing poorly.
    That’s what Man Utd have been doing for years.
    We slaughtered Man Utd 3-0, could have been more.
    Since relegation we have amassed a very very good squad and I expect us to have a very good season finishing 6th-8th.
    Xbox armchair supporters moan all you want.
    Pardew has my support for the forthcoming season.

• 17 Felipe // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Prefer 4-2-3-1

• 18 cyprus // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Fridge,
    Not always, but some of the one-liners speak volumes and make you smile. I can’t help but steal a glance :)

• 19 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

JFA

Most people think he should have been sacked.
    The last 3 home games were abysmal …. 0-3. 0-6, 0-1.
    If he thinks he´s starting with a clean slate he´s very wrong.

I´d like to see him sacked today, but I think another big thrashing and the usual dire, flat displays will see him out.

• 20 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Lewis
    Your right it doesn’t
    Mainly because an intelligent football fan or coach wouldn’t put remy at LW in a position he’s rarely played
    RW yes but at LW were relying on yet another player to constantly cut in rather than make actual runs in to the area

• 21 Felipe // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM

@Rotonda 14

Pardew has been involved in professional football for 35 years, being coached by professionals, taking his coaching badges and then managing himself for the past 14 years. Anyone on this blog who can compare their cv to that stick their hand up. The rest of you slagging him off for every word he says in an interview are just making yourselves look stupid and childish.

• 22 Felipe // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

@Hatem 19

Sounds like you’re hoping for a thrashing at Man City…
    Very sad.

• 23 Sydney Toon // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I am a fan of Pardew, but I am realistic that last season was diabolical for so many reasons that you could not just pinpoint Pardew for blame. I hope we find a LW that can cut inside like Hatem and allow Sissokho or Cabaye to drop slightly back. Giving Cisse, Remy and hopefully Golis channels to run into. I would like Sinclair or Ince, even a cheeky loan bid for Andre Ayew from Marseille. Guti should be used as a utility. I am expecting a top 8 finish, I think we can as long as Pardew goes back to the successful play of the 11/12 season. Much depends on the form of Hatem, Cabaye and Cisse

• 24 cyprus // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM

bills-son,
    Your post at 13 is fair enough. And I do sense your frustration.
    I too am not sure if our disjointed performances are entirely AP’s fault or the players’. Maybe they ain’t the world beaters we think they are, but, damn it, they’re internationals! Not too long ago, hardly an NUFC player was away from training when internationals were played…

I for one am hoping for a good season.

• 25 robbeer // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

just watched post rangers interview with Pardew . Theman is totally deluded. Is it arogance with him? he says we are disapointed not to have won the game after all the chances we created. What is he talkig about was i at a different game. His comments do him no favours with me does he think he can convince us we seen something different to what our eyes tell us?
    cabaye , debuchy were fantastic? My patience have gone with this pathethic attempt of a manager.
    On this article can someone please expalin to me how this is holding things up? if he wants to join us then sign its all agreed if he wants to sign for OM then do so, dunno what the problem is? just choose and go ffs

• 26 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

@Felipe

Pardew´s probably in the top 20-25 coaches in the country.
    But not good enough for NUFC.

His style, team selection and tactics are very suspect at the top level.
    We defend on the front foot with undroppable out of form players playing in the wrong positions. It´s poor stuff to pay money to watch.

• 27 Felipe // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM

@tads

Your post at 12 is just so extreme you lose all credibility. How can you say we have zero width and creativity. I mean ZERO! Seriously.

• 28 Felipe // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM

@Hatem 26

Right now he is our manager and hoping that we get thrashed so he gets the sack or blaming everything for last season on him is just stupid.

• 29 dan5679 // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM

gomis wants to stay in france he wants to play forMarseille..i stated this a few weeks ago if not he woud of joined us by now the fee between lyon and newcastle was agreed nearly 3 weeks ago it only came out in the press 2 weeks ago. i was told 5 days ago newcastle was withdrawing from the gomis deal

• 30 lewisnufc // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM

toonarmydownsouth

it worked with demba lw and cisse through the middle so why not remy?

• 31 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM

@Felipe #19

You are reading between lines and then jumping to a conclusion from your guesswork.

You then call me sad and say I want us to get thrashed.
    I always want us to win.
    Your post is a bit naughty mate.

• 32 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Felipe I don´t care what you think as you are misrepresenting my posts then using that as a basis for your argument.

I´m ignoring you … don´t feed the troll.

• 33 Stephen Keegan // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I am worried i agree with Pardew for once in that we should be bringing more englishmen into the club, do we have enough homegrowns now?
    its a shame the only englishmen i woul bring in are young and tend to be inexperienced (and overpriced)
    Ince
    Caulker ( a steal at 8 m)
    Hughes
    Ross Barkley
    Clyne and Shaw

but none of them are better than what we have bar maybe ince for jonas and thts where the problem lies!! on gomis i would rather winger with gouff and remy as backup/competition for cisse

• 34 keeganjr // Aug 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Im not the biggest fan of pardew and co. But can we just try to support the team and not the regime style.. Just support the team or fcuk of..

• 35 Consett Mag // Aug 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Acquiring Gomis should be abandoned. We really don’t want a destabilising influence – a player who really wants to play for Marseille. I think we’re taking a risk with Remy, who seems thick as pig doings.

Felipe – a troll that serves no purpose in debating with.

• 36 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I can’t see how Felipe is a troll by declaring an undying support for the club… can anyone enlighten me to how this is?

• 37 sirjasontoon // Aug 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Shut up JK you clueless dinosaur.

• 38 toonicle // Aug 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM

With Bent on the A list I’d hate to see the B list….

• 39 James RS // Aug 8, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Its funny Marseilles is where Joey Barton was????

previous post: Pardew – We Need More English Players At Newcastle