The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – This Lad Has Exceptional Talent – Video

11:34 am, Friday, August 9th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 186 Comments

There’s no doubt that Hatem Ben Arfa is the most exciting player at Newcastle and when this lad’s on form he’s almost unplayable, and he’s already scored two of the best individual goals ever seen at St. James Park against Blackburn and Bolton last year.

ben arfa weraing wonga yesterday

Ben Arfa in training last month

But of course one big reason why we faltered big time last season was that we were without Ben Arfa from November, and we certainly missed his game changing skills.

That Hamstring injury he picked up never fully recovered last season but manager Pardew is hoping the rest during the summer and new fitness coach Faye Downey can keep this French wizard fit this season.

This is what Alan Pardew said in the local press today:

He has already put him forward for a recall to the France team ahead of the summer’s World Cup and reckons that the influence of new fitness coach Faye Downey will play a big part in any renaissance.

“It’s a big year for Hatem to stay fit. I don’t worry about anything else with Hatem,” “I look at him and we all know when we train with him he’s got exceptional talent. “

“We need it on the pitch and we need more of it. That’s something we’ve worked really hard with him on this summer, particularly in pre-season. He got his rest from that hamstring injury.”

“Remember that was a terrible hamstring injury and I remember people questioning if he would come back the same. Actually in pre-season he’s produced faster times than anyone else. We know that burst of power is there and that is what sets him apart.”

And to cheer fans up this Friday morning – have a look back to those two great goals he scored at St. James Park last year.

Absolutely fantastic!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Coaching · Hatem Ben Arfa · Newcastle News · Pre-Season · Premier League · Video

186 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I’m dissapointed Ed, when I saw the headline I thought this was Remy’s Egg trick. How about a thread on that, after all, it’s the nearest we have to any actual Newcastle United news today?

• 2 jeff // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Marv and vuckic excite me more. HBA is a ball hogging glory hound and will always be

• 3 Scottiedog // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Yes he is good, but his mistakes end up costing us goals :-(

Scott Sinclair PLEASE!!!!!!

• 4 Slank // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

G @ 1

I have been looking for footage, with no luck, of the Egg on the Faces freekick when Rob Lee was playing.

Three Newcastle players lined up to take a free kick. All three did a dummy run over the ball. The expressions on their faces when they turned around and saw the ball was still in place was priceless.

• 5 paul24 // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

The boy’s got talent, but he’s just too inconsistent and he just doesnt seem to take his fitness seriously.

• 6 voice of raisin // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I personally would love to see Marveaux given more time in the middle of the park, the lad is one of the best passers of a ball in the team and I hope he gets plenty more game time through the middle this season.

Id also like to see anita play alot more but I cant see either actually happening

• 7 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

jeff

so is Messi and look how he turned out

• 8 SeanNufc87 // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Jeff your back!

• 9 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

@ Slank, a classic. Nearly as funny as that video of a scandinavian game where that bloke is halfway round the pitch celebrating his goal that wasn’t because the ball had stuck in the mud in the box. His face is one of the funniest things ever.

• 10 Slank // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Jeff

I think Vuckic probably has the strongest shot in the club, certainly against other left footers. His long range efforts are generally accurate and powerful.

• 11 Rotonda heights // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Just a shame pardw doesn’t play him in the right position.

Sorry Ibiza,
    Pardew is a wonderful, upstanding, highly moral and well thought of character. Oh wait….

• 12 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM

That Bolton goal makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I was up in one of the boxes and it was a pretty boring game in all honesty. Then up popped Ben Arfa out of nowhere with this peach.

The crowd and buzz is absolutely electric on that video.

Lets hope he stays fit.

• 13 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM

i think Vuckic should be giving a shot as a Striker, him and Cisse as striking partners could be what we need, imo.

• 14 ENNYOUEFFSEE // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Brilliant player in my opinion. Fitness is a worry at times but can turn the game in an instance. Starting position every time if he is fit.

• 15 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM

@11, that’s an elaborate way of calling him a c**t isn’t it? lol. (AP that is, not Ibiza)

• 16 Rotonda heights // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

voice of raisin,

I know cabaye doesn’t look great at the moment as he’s played out of position but if he were to leave then Marveaux
    isn’t the worst shout as he has shown he can thread those killer through balls that cabaye was doing to Cisse the season before last.

• 17 Graeme // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I think this season could see the emergence of Vukic from the shadows! He has enormous potential but has had so many injuries and never had a chance to deliver on the main stage.

Evidently he is fitter and stronger than he’s ever been – hope it comes off for him, he has great vision and composure and he could be a huge asset for us.

• 18 SeanNufc87 // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Rotonda

My gran would tell you if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all.

She would then feed you into a coma.

• 19 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Rotonda…You and I are going to have to work on this middle ground malarkey. I’m suggesting 2 sessions weekly and my credentials are on their way in the post…honest.

G / Slank…If you find that free kick referred to @ 4, please post it. Don’t recall it and it sounds worthy of a watch or two.

On thread…I really do hope Benny avoids any serious injury this season. He really is such an exciting player, but patience is seemingly running thin…unlike his current frame.

• 20 PUMMELLER // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Jeffs back!
    People please see it as the joke its meant to be and stop taking it seriously! Some of your responces to him are more laughable than the original comment!

• 21 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

where has Cabaye been played out of position?

• 22 Greebol1892 // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

AND HE’S OFF!

Pardew’s daily interviews have started again. Nice bloke but he just can’t stop rabbiting. RABBIT RABBIT RABBIT (Chas n Dave style!)

• 23 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

@19, just google Egg on Your Face Free Kick Newcastle United, it’s usually the top link from the results that come up from Youtube. Can’t access Youtube from work, so I can’t paste the link, but try that.

• 24 wolfshead@toon // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

rotonda

on the positive side hes not jfk haha

• 25 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM

This season is make or break. Yes he’s a great player, yes he can change a game in an instant blah blah blah but he’s also never fit, he’s also selfish, he also picks the wrong pass or doesn’t pick a pass at all.

Personally, I’d like to give him another season to see if he can a) play more than 30 games in a season and b) contribute more when he does play.

We’ve no room for passengers, even ones as talented as Wor Hatem

• 26 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

G…Should I be offended that you felt the need to clarify that?

I’ll just start drafting an email to Ed whilst I await a response….

• 27 Markaccus // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Greebol

Yeah heaven forbid he should talk up his players and instil a bit of confidence in them.

• 28 Bearsize // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Wow ben arfa looks like the best player in the world on you tube clips

• 29 pawl250 // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Ben Arfa is a fantastic player when utilized in the correct manner.

———————- Krul ———————-
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Coloccini – Santon
    ——- Cabaye — Tiote — Sissoko ——
    Ben Arfa ——– Cisse ———– Remy

He is an attacking player, play him in an attacking role.

4-3-3 is our best formation. Look at it, its blistering with quality and pace.

And our back up is

GK – Elliot, Alnwick
    DR – RTaylor, Tavernier
    CB – STaylor, Williamson, Street, Good
    LB – Haidara, Dummett

Midfield 3 – Anita, Jonas, Bigirmana, Vuckic, Gosling, Amalfitano

Attacking 3 – Gouffran, Obertan, Gomis?, Sammy, Shola, Campbell

We have depth if we sign Gomis, or another striker. Could do with an attacking wide man, someone in the mold of Sinclair, or my personal choice Wjnaldum.

Personally could not see the harm in keeping Perch for further back up, hardly like his 500k fee or whatever it was made a difference and not exactly high earner I bet.

We have a good side, just need to utilize them correctly, Ben Arfas mistakes are due to him playing deep with his defensive duties.

• 30 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM

G…Why thank you kind sir. I suppose I can manage that amount of effort, but it will be tough.

Black and White…I believe this is the debate of whether Cabaye should be played as a CM or more advance in a sort of ACM position…

• 31 Belfast // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Did Ibiza get his internet problem fixed ?

• 32 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I feel like signing a new player!

…what’s JK up to?

• 33 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Belfast…Luckily for you….I did.

Bet that’s even better news that logging on to see we’ve made a new signing?

• 34 pawl250 // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Fantasy Football Team for Telegraph, baring in mind its a friends league hence on that one. Think its cracking if I do say so myself…. what you think?!

3-5-2

————————- Mignolet ————————-
    ———– Luiz —- Azpilicueta – Koscienly ———
    Hazard — Walcott — Navas — Oscar — Coutinho
    ———– Benteke ————— Bony —————–

Please note I do NOT pick NUFC players, as I do not like to heeby jeeby them lol

• 35 Belfast // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

It’s all gone very quiet on the Gomis situation now.
    Maybe we’ve moved on. Looks like we could be going into the first game with 1 new signing who’s actually injured and he’s only on loan.

• 36 Belfast // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Told you that stamping on the router always works !

• 37 Slank // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Pawl

I think that’s the team that will line-up against West Ham and Fulham. I don’t think Remy will be fit for Man City, regrettably.

• 38 SeanNufc87 // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Pawl

I know what you mean, I put sissoko on mine after his great start n look what happened!

• 39 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM

As it’s a quiet news day, I’m gonna put this one out there, but who do we fancy for the Prem title this year? My money’s going on Chelsea.

• 40 Fridge // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM

What about signing some players? We havent spendt ANY money except a loan fee! And dont Get me started on our fantastic manager. Yeah, things Are looking bright at Newcastle United. Its blinding me…

• 41 pawl250 // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Man City team

—————————- Krul ——————————
    —————————————————————–
    ————– Mbiwa – STaylor – Coloccini ————
    Debuchy —————————————- Santon
    —————————————————————–
    ————- Cabaye — Tiote — Sissoko —————
    —————————————————————–
    ————————- Gouffran ————————–
    ————————— Cisse —————————–

Think this team could hit on the counter. It has the defensive capabilities, and hard working midfield.

Defo the team for me, no brainer. Especially with Remy injured. Ben Arfa can be an impact player, but if not fit he should be on the bench.

• 42 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Belfast…You are as wise as you are valuable to this blog.

On Gomis, I imagine we’ve still got out offer on the table whilst they sort themselves out. Hopefully, we’re actually looking at other options in the meantime, that is assuming we’re actually looking to bring in another striker at all.

G…I too reckon it’ll be Chelsea this year.

• 43 santonthenewmaldini // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

@Pawl

I do like that team although I would like to see us have a proper go against City we are not expected to win but I have a feeling under Pellegrino they might be a bit slack at the back in the beginning so we should look to take advantage and press them

I just hope we dont just lie over and take a 4 nil cuffing again like the last time we played them as that was shocking

• 44 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Now I do sometime get the feeling that alot of people on here plays FIFA or FM when they come up with tactics!

…hence the reason why some keep persisting Cabs should be played as an ACM (maybe it’s because their is an affinity for 4-3-2-1?)

When he played for Lille he played as an box to box midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation and his vision and technical quality would suggest that we’d be an excelent deeplying playmaker (maybe that is why some want him in a more advanced position?) I just wonder who he is suppose to pass it too up there since we seem to play very direct and disregard our att. midfield!

For France he seem to play as a box to box midfielder as well with Nasri in front of him, so why are some persisting on playing him more advanched?

*no pun intended just curious ;)

• 45 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

*advanced

• 46 pawl250 // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Slank I agree, and truthfully I would not play 4-3-3 especially AWAY against Man City even if Remy was fit.

We need to be smart, play more defensive but hit back on the counter.

Man City back four are not the fastest, nor is the holding players i.e. Barry, Rodwell and what have you.

Counter attacking football is the only way to play against City right now in my opinion. Let them get frustrated and push up the field.

• 47 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

gmorning all…

unfortunately, i have to agree, chelski looks strong… although i did see odds for NUFC are 750-1 to win the prem… its worth me putting a 20 down just in case..

• 48 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

*shot (should have read 4-2-3-1)

• 49 Belfast // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I’ll go with Chelsea myself. Think Man Utd will have a dodgy season compared to their usual standards.

• 50 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Okay I am giving up (tablets are not made for long drivel…or drivel at all ;) )

• 51 Belfast // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I’m a Jack of all trades Ibiza you know

• 52 Slank // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM

G

It’s going to be (as always ugh) between ManU, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal. Difficult to call as three of them have new managers.

Chelsea look the best although if Arsenal get Suarez then they will have their best chance in years. ManU look a spent force (fatal last words ?) and Man City are an unknown quantity.

• 53 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM

jesper,

i keep saying when i play fifa, i use the modern 9-0-2 formation… every time i hoof it to cisse, hes offsides… and pards claps from the sideline :)

• 54 wolfshead@toon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM

if we are losing 3 or 4 nil in the first half against city i can see joe sacking pards at half time and leading the team out in the second half :-)

• 55 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM

might put a 20 on manure to miss top 4 as well :0

wouldnt that be lovely? im consider it a great season

• 56 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Dok… haha :D

…so are you playing Cabs next to Cisse…you know in an advanced position ;)

• 57 pawl250 // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Jesper – TOTALLY AGREE.

Cabayes vision and passing ability would be waste in a ACM role. The hilarious thing is Sissoko is also wasted.

These are classic box to box players, they have the energy to do it. They have the passing ability to play amongst the best in the PL. USE THEM!

I play Tiote as he is a bull, he will charge down any advance, but he needs to play like Alonso, or if people think I am saying he should be Alonso, I will simplify what I am saying…. He needs to play like he did on his arrival. He was happy as a holding player, but he suddenly thinks he is god when it comes to shooting, wasting possession in the process.

GET BACK. If I was Pardew I would be saying you sit on the half way line, you delay or stop any advance from the opposition, do not be rash. You are also the “out” ball, if a players in trouble on the pitch, you should be available. You should be the guy who can take the pass, and switch play, hence the Alonso role I speak about.

Someone needs to sit him down and say, you are a quality player, but recently you are a donkey because you are not playing to your qualities you possess.

He should be the guy who never advances beyond the half way semi circle in the opposing half.

• 58 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM

*okay either people don’t care or they are busy trying out Cabs in a more advanced position in either FIFA or FM ;)

• 59 pawl250 // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Dok, I will give you 1000-1 if you give me your £20 now.

Its NOT going to happen.

• 60 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I reckon Manyoo will be different without Fergie in charge, but they will still be top 4, Pellegrini is an unknown quantity in terms of the Prem, but Chelski have the team, a manager that knows the league, and makes the team carry confidence, so I just cant see it being anybody else. Somebody on an earlier thread suggested Liverpool look great in their pre-seasons, but I cant see them winning it. Top 4 will be between Chelsea, Citeh, Manyoo, and Arsenal. Getting predictable this premier league stuff isn’t it. Wouldn’t it be wonderfull to see somebody like Palace challenging for the top 4? Sadly I see Palace setting a record low scoring year for an early relegation party.

• 61 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Dok….What happened to your new and improved NUFC blog greeting? That was short lived.

Belfast….Add an f and a comma and then take away all trades and we’re getting close mate ;)

As for United winning the title, not a chance, has no one been reading Kets’ comments? Honestly, he’s wasted on some of you lot.

• 62 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM

pawl, i know it may not, it probably wont, but hope springs eternal in the heart of a newcastle supprter…

jesper, i drop cabs to cover saylor, so he can run with cisse, lmao… oh and i make sure to start jonas and shla every match, just to annoy ppl here, lol

• 63 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM

pawl…I agree :)

…Tiote should learn from Mølby (he made the circle famous by never leaving it lol)

*mostly because he was lazy, but the point is he never went forward he knew what his job description was and what made him excellent!

• 64 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM

ibiza, i did it yesterday with no rersponse, i suppose ppl here didnt get the reference…

goooooooooooooooooooooood morning NUFC blog!!!

we happy now buddy? :)

• 65 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Dok…we get it!!!

…it is just not working for me without audio! Can you do something about that? :D

• 66 Toon Tang // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM

i hope the hull tigers rename doesnt give mashley any ideas

• 67 Rainrix // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Dok…. Can you even get fifa in ‘murica?

• 68 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Dok…Happier, thank you :)

I think Jesper needs larger text or audio to help him along….

Toon Tang…What on Earth makes you think Ashley would ever rename us?

• 69 Belfast // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM

The sports direct magpies

• 70 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Ibiza…I recall someone saying last night that they were getting too old to live downtown in San Antoni ;)

…do you remember who that was? lol

• 71 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM

jesper, whats your cell number? lol

rain, i do have it on my xbox… but the kinect doesnt recognize my american accent, so i have to fake the vocal calls, for example, i say “pass” and it turns to a 40 yard hoofball…

ive called rosetta stone for language classes, but they do not offer geordie at this tiem, they said…

• 72 Indian Magpie // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Yeah

Like cardiff owners change the colors too. I like green and white like Betis

• 73 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM

newcastle oreos…

• 74 Toon Tang // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

the sports direct magpies will line up in blue and red today. haha nightmare scenario

• 75 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Jesper…Nah mate, my memory isn’t what it used to be :)

Belfast…Now that’s a classy sounding name right there. Gives me shivers down my spine.

• 76 Graeme // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Toon Tang, we don’t get a lot of Tigers up in Newcastle (as far as I know) but there are a fair selection of Dragons in the area. Chinese ones are often seen around Stowel Street and a fair selection of human varieties in the Bigg Market area at weekends!!

If we were to be renamed to reflect the current management structure, then “Newcastle Numpties” must be in with a shout!!

• 77 Toon Tang // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM

ibiza, i have no idea mate :)

• 78 Rainrix // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Dok….. I can give you a crash course, basically say “like” after every word so “pass like” or “smash it cisse like”. Fairly simple :)

• 79 clinath@ed // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM

What exactly is a “box-to-box midfielder”?

• 80 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Dok…now that’s a good name :D

And we even have our own song:

“Oreos, in the sky
    when you lose small mind
    you free your life
    Oreos, so up high
    when you free your eyes eternal prize
    Oreos, in the sky
    when you lose small mind
    you free your life
    Oreos, so up high
    when you free your eyes eternal prize”

• 81 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

how much do i owe you for todays lesson rain like? :)

• 82 Rainrix // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Graeme…..There are however a lot of cougars stumbling around newcastle looking for prey. Newcastle cougars actually that sounds a film by ben dover. Back to the drawing board!

• 83 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

and if you look at remy-hba-cisse, well there our oreo lineup, lmao

• 84 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Toon Tang…Then perhaps you should have more faith in Mikey, he has our best intentions at heart, as everyone knows….

• 85 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM

clinath…a midfielder that that covers the midfield from box to box basically!

…usual what it means is that he’ll get forward into the oppositions box as often as possible.

• 86 Rainrix // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Dok…. Well man howay down the bigg and buy us a couple bottles of river watter. Should suffice bonnie lad! ;)

• 87 hotdog // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

You log onto the blog and see this comment straight away!!

Scottiedog // Aug 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Yes he is good, but his mistakes end up costing us goals :-(

Scott Sinclair PLEASE!!!!!!

Now then lad. By definition Hatem Ben Arfa is going to lose the ball, probably more than any other Newcastle player. Why? Because he is NOT in the team to “get it and give it”, he is in the team to take people on, create openings and score goals. When he makes a mistake it is up to him and his team mates to win it back. I played with a lad in Centre Midfield and i worked my butt off for him, reason, he was magician with the ball and 8 times out of 10, he would do something to win us the game.

• 88 Toon Tang // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM

ibiza, hahah i have every faith in the current regime mate, they have never given me a reason to doubt it…

• 89 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM

ibiza, i have quite the thick nyc accent like…

umm rain, so youre telling me to go get some beers, and pick up a cougar named bonnie? then why on gods green earth would i bring any beer back if shes here? :)

• 90 Graeme // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Rainrix, nothing wrong with a semi tamed couger mate lol.

Good Grief, is Ben Dover still working – some things never change I guess!!!

• 91 hotdog // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM

“played with a lad” and “butt’s” mmm – you get my point though ;-)

• 92 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

@89, fantastic, it’s like your from Benwell!

• 93 paul24 // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

@clinath@ed

A midfielder who can win the ball in his own half and can bring it forward to start an attack in the oppositions half. It’s basically what Tiote should be doing, but isnt.

• 94 scottoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Since it seems unlikely that we will get involved in the transfer market, let’s weigh in on some of the mooted deals……

Is Bale going to Real? Seems very likely.
    Rooney to Chelsea?
    Suarez to Arsenal?

Cant see the last two happening. Why would Man U and Liverpool weaken themselves, and strengthen teams competing with them for CL spots?

• 95 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM

graeme, is ben’s assistant amanda hugnkiss?

do you need amanda hugnkiss? :)

sorry simpsons reference… lol

• 96 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Dok, here’s a usefull website for you, it’s and English to Geordie translator:

• 97 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Dok…Should I read anything in to the fact that you argued the geographical part of my comment, but not the gender…like?

Toon Tang…Ha, good lad. Was starting to worry you were getting yourself all paranoid for no reason.

• 98 clinath@ed // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM

jesperfuglsang …now, as I see it, other than wingers EVERY midfielder should be doing that as a basic roll. Any formation than demands one player to cover the middle 80 mtrs throughout a game will have a knackered player before very long…

I find it one of those descriptions that do not make a lot of sense…just an over used cliche!

• 99 Rainrix // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Ibiza… Wait which girls? :)

Graeme… He’s around still around, still getting girls to ben dover ;)

Dok….. Ehhhhh close enough :)

• 100 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM

hotodg…It sounds like you were basically a bit of a Jonas….thoughts? :)

• 101 Tino99 // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I personally think City are going to be ridiculously good this season there midfield and strike force easily the best by a mile – they scored 5 goals against AC in 35 mins!!

• 102 clinath@ed // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Paul24..you have proved my point, your opinion or version is different from Jasper’s….

• 103 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Looks like another no news day weekend. Thought they might be some action before the Braga game

• 104 hotdog // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Dok Toon – Once got a barmaid to shout out a domino card.

“Number 4, Warick Hunt, Number 4 Warick Hunt”

Cue, people spitting beer out :-)

• 105 Tino99 // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Utd need to buy someone insane like Ronnie. I would love to see him back in the premier league. You just cant beat him.

• 106 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM

@101, I think Citeh have the best team on paper, but I still think the manager will need some tinker time to get it right.

• 107 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Rainrix…You know, there are like these girls, who are all like living in California and they’re all like, saying like, all the time, and I’m all like, whatever.

• 108 Tino99 // Aug 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Pardew needs to stop playing players out of position. Literally i could do a better job blind folded. if we had a half descent manager then we would do bloody well. On paper we have a really solid team maybe a few players short but compared to most other teams it is pretty good

• 109 hotdog // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Ibiza – Team Captain and player of the season, stick that in ya pipe :-)

• 110 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM

G…Has Fergie time been replaced with tinker time?

Hotdog…Not sure about beer, but certainly a coffee spill this end :)

Clinath…I’ve always taken it as a guideline for people that struggle with the word centre. Box to box seems to clear things up for them a bit. Simple, yet effective.

• 111 Indian Magpie // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Enough is Enough

Pardew out!

• 112 Rainrix // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Ibiza… But i thought like all american bimbos like said like all the time like? Not just the ones from cali like? :)

• 113 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Tino….But what if the players were playing tricks on you and swapped positions…you’d never know with that blindfold.

Hotdog….Which was decided by?? The manager? You’re only strengthening my case Jonas ;)

• 114 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Rainrix…Wait a second, there’s more to America than just California? That’s mental like…

Indian…It needed to be said.

• 115 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Indian – Pardew and Ashley don’t read this blog you know… How about contributing something to the conversation instead?

• 116 Indian Magpie // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Hell It Did!

• 117 Indian Magpie // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Conaldo

How are you?

• 118 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

ibiza, you lost me… but nothing to worry about , i like the bikini girls as well lol

g.. thank you, i am adding that to favorites, for constant refernece…

hotdog, that sir, is funny!

• 119 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Indian…I’m thinking we can get a little protest style chant going….

All together now…

What do we want?

• 120 clinath@ed // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Ibiza…my point I’m making an arse of saying is “box-to-box midfielder” is the same as a “round circle” “lying MP” “car stealing Scouser…”

I can’t remember why I started this.

• 121 hotdog // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Ibiza – Im not even gonna try to compete, you win :-)

Off to Braga game on Saturday, i will give you my expert summary on Sunday.

Anybody else think this Remi injury is a smoke screen. Pics on official site of him running and paintballing!!!!!!!

• 122 Markaccus // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Conaldo

Theres no point. He will just continue to repeat it. Also, he may try and belittle you because you do not do the same. It is best tp ignore him. Usually one out of ten of his posts stimulate debate, the rest are as you have just read.

• 123 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

california, land of the fruits and nuts…

• 124 Indian Magpie // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

listen to master of insults – markaccus.

• 125 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Dok….I’ll try again then…

“Rainrix…Not so sure about that, given he’s starting with an American accent it could all be a little close to Californian girls…”

You chose to pull me up on the fact you had a NYC accent, but didn’t seem to object to being likened to a girl….

Which is fair enough I suppose, who am I to judge? :)

• 126 Graeme // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM

See we are fighting back in the war of words over Cabaye’s future – we have slapped a £30 million price tag on him!!

If thats not an invitation to make a formal offer, I don’t know what one would look like. Why not just make a formal complaint to the FA about our player being illegally courted through the press or do what Liverpool did – “Our player is NOT for sale”

• 127 Markaccus // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Hotdog

From the comments yesterday, it leads me to believe that he injury is long gone but he has had no training so is not fully match fit.

• 128 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM

mark..

indian out?

lol

• 129 scottoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The Remy situation is that he had not trained at all because of the injury. He is now behind in fitness and for that reason wont be ready for Citeh….

• 130 martoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

hotdog @104 – Believe it or not I actually had a boss called Michael Hunt, we used to fall around laughing when one of the girls would say “Has anybody seen Mike Hunt” :)

• 131 Rainrix // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Ibiza… Hey american tv and films have lied to me all my life. I thought cali was america. In fact i only just found out america has fat people and minorities!

• 132 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

And when do we want it?

Oh right, no one has joined in.

Indian…I tried.

Hotdog…Have to say, this doesn’t feel like a victory :)

So you’ll be attending the game? Do us all a favour and check out the grass before kick off and let us know whether it’ll be worth watching or not.

As for a Remy smoke screen…It wouldn’t be the first time.

Clinath…Was my addition to the debate not helpful then? How peculiar….

• 133 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM

well now ibiza, now that youve dumbed it down for a yank.. umm no, not even close to it… unless the girls youre “chasing ” over there have shaved heads, lots of tatt’s and goatees, :)

• 134 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM

@129, I thought he had a minor shoulder injury? There isn’t much recoil from a paintball gun, after all, it isn’t like firing a .50 calibre or anything, and running shouldn’t be too much of a problem, whereas contact with the oposition could be?

• 135 Rainrix // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM

On pardew….. Is he out yet?

• 136 Indian Magpie // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM

ibiza

i want results, this is not good enough

• 137 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Rainrix…Not buying that for a second…fat people in America? Nice try…like.

martoon…Ha, classic.

Graeme…Well our club don’t like to tell lies….

• 138 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Dok, here’s some reading material for you to go with the website:

• 139 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM

rain,

and here i thought every male over there was either james bond, or a hooligan… :)

• 140 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Indian…I thought you wanted Pardew out?

If we’re talking results only, so far pre season has given us

W = 3
    D = 2
    L = 1

Not too bad really, but let’s not get in to the opposition or I may have to start flexing my brain a bit….

Dok…And now you’ve lost me :)

• 141 Indian Magpie // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Ibiza

I was talking about you only trying. get people on board.

• 142 Graeme // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Ibiza – maybe that explains why they dont use the “Honesty Box” system at Sid James’!!!

• 143 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

g,

i may order that this weekend so i can prepare for my 1st visit to st james…

• 144 pieceofpapiss // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Not been on here in a while but i’m assuming Jeff (posts at the top) is a Mackem troll?

• 145 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Indian…I see, I think people were waiting to take your lead…

Right guys?

• 146 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

ibiza,

11 points of 18 theoretically, with a GD of +3… id say preseason is been well… lets see how we play citeh,… id name my next son after pards if we win, lol…

• 147 Markaccus // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Indian

I did not send insults, i merely stated facts about your posts. You begin each article wih a pardew out one liner, you end each one the same, rarely if ever contributing to the discussion, and if you do manage to comment on something else, you still stick more pardew out one liners in between. It is UTTERLY POINTLESS.

However this is a waste of time because you will turn this around on me in the belief that you are somehow getting one over on me.

• 148 Rainrix // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Dok… Close enough, though you forgot about us all drinking tea and every 5th person living in a castle.

Ibiza… I know right i mean they wouldnt lie to us would they? I mean its not like they’d hide rampant obesity from the rest of the world like. :)

• 149 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

piece,

jeff/plana/viv, one and the same and yes one of the unwashed…

• 150 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Look on the bright side guys, I can guaruntee that by the end of the first day, we will be comfortably mid table… only because we don’t play till Monday mind.

• 151 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Dok…Seems a little harsh to call your kid Puppet, but ok :)

Grame…Is “honesty box” a new euphemism for Pardews mouth? Seems to get a fair bit of use from what I can see.

• 152 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

now you two are belittling the united states? well i never….

• 153 Indian Magpie // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

markaccus

why can’t you just ignore it.

What is going to happen. nothing!

plenty of other posters to keep you occupied

• 154 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

clinath…the definition of a box to box midfielder is one capable of defending at one end but also playing a prominent role in his team’s attacking moves at the other end. Basically a player a good engine, stamina, passing ability, strong tackling and finishing prowess.

Now this may be alot to ask of a player hence the reason why a player like this works so much better if you deploy a defensive midfielder behind him. What you want from a box to box midfielder is one who gets forward alot with compromising his own responsibilities.

Sissoko fits the bill and if you team him up with Cabs then you have some one to pick the passes as well. If I had the old Tiote then I would field him between the defense and our midfield duo to both safeguard the defense to also to cover and the the heat off our central midfield.

A team that knows how to reap the benefits of a good engine in midfield has the advantaged if you ask me. But with Tiote being the liability he has been last season our midfield don’t the the cover they need which is why I would use Anita – basically he is more calm and we need that. Another problem has been Sissoko has been playing far to high up the field.

These are just a few of the problems we had last season (I haven’t even mentioned our wide players both offensive and defensive) But that is beside the point any way.

• 155 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM

ibiza, i didnt think it was gonnna be puppet, i htought it was “hoofit”

• 156 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM

*without

• 157 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM

G…What if everyone draws…wouldn’t that leave us in relegation trouble along with Man City?

Pardew and Pellegrini to be fired before their first games of the season due to relegation fears?

• 158 Markaccus // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Indian

I was telling conaldo that i lt was pointless for him to ask you to contribute more than just “i hate pardew” because you totally refuse to be constructive in any way. I did not want another poster wasting their time on your account.

• 159 JAMSHA // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Shola Ameobi has hinted that he might
    be forced to leave Newcastle in search of
    regular first-team football. The Nigeria striker
    wants to be involved in next summer’s World
    Cup and told Sky Sports News: “If they bring in
    strikers, I might have to see what else is out
    there because I need to be playing football.”

Now plzzz get any striker,, so he leaves…

• 160 scottoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Lot of chatter regarding Mapou vs Staylor. Seems to me the issue is who works best with Collo. For me, for now, that is Staylor. They communicate better, understand each other better. I believe Mapou is better than Staylor head to head, but that isn’t the entire story.

• 161 Ibizatoon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Dok…Oh right, that’s much better :)

As for your previous post…”Now”? Oh yeah, this is a new thing…. ;)

• 162 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Dok, I once ventured to the states as a young soldier, doing a joint excersise from various nations playing war in Florida, we were training one day on the edge of the Everglades and we got lost (Some idiot had supplied us aviation maps, which are really handy for navigating waterways!), andway, some lovely old couple helped us out and gave us a grand tour of their home, and I always remember the old guy wanting to show me something, which he said we wouldn’t have anything like it in England, and he took me thouth the house and showed me his fridge! It was a big impressive fridge, but he seemed suprised when I told him that we all had them at home, as he thought we wouldn’t need them what with it being so cold. It made me laugh somewhat, and he chuckled when I informed him it was only frezzing for 11 and a half months of the year!

• 163 Indian Magpie // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Markaccus

Let them make their own minds up.

• 164 hotdog // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Markaccus – OK ta, still think we might see him @ citeh!

Martoon – It is the type off gag that you always snigger at, no matter how many times you hear it lol

Ibiza – The hallowed turf :-) actually got to play on it a couple of years back, bloody big pitch when your in the thick of it.

Is it on the box, if it is im going for a refund ;-)

• 165 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Jamsha…Ameobi would never leave ;)

…he has a great deal going on for him (a full pay for half the work ;))

• 166 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Joke aside; does anyone think we’ll sign more players and maybe even get rid off some of the deadwood?

…or is this it for us?

• 167 Markaccus // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Hotdog

Probably on the bench if he makes it, with a view to starting him at home.

• 168 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I’ll leave you all with that thought and go pick up junior!

Later!

• 169 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM

g.. thats classic… did you tell him you had an indoor toilet back home too… running water is quite a novelty lol

• 170 Indian Magpie // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Jesper Jamsha

correct, after retiring, Shola will become a mascot for match days.

• 171 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM

jesper, have yourself a great weekend

• 172 clinath@ed // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

ibiza…..you had me at “simple”

• 173 pieceofpapiss // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Cheers Dok,

Anyone fancy re-hashing the old “Obssessed” banter again? Gives them a distraction from nobbin’ their sisters i suppose.

• 174 DokToon // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM

lead the way good sir :)

• 175 ToonBoy91 // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Hi guys,

First time commenting on the blog but ive been a frequent reader for some time now so please go easy on me.

Its clearly obvious that we are a much stronger side going forward when we have Ben Arfa in the team. I think back to THAT goal against bolton at St James and up until that point we looked a very average team and i feared it would have been another bleak 0-0 draw had he not gone on to score.
    Alot of people complain that he loses the ball and makes mistakes that cost us goal. But arent most flair players the same?? Ronaldo lost the ball so often when he played at United but what he offered going forward far outweighed the cons of his game.
    I believe Hatem is the same and fear that if the fans continue to get on his back he may not be as willing to go on his long mazy runs causing mayhem as he does so…

• 176 Yohan Kebab // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM

dont get where all the ben arfa hate has come from, he is one of the most naturally gifted players i have seen at our club

• 177 clinath@ed // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I’m off now….forgot to thank you jesperfuglsang..beautifully worded.

• 178 hotdog // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Jesper is that directed at Ibiza aswell

“he has a great deal going on for him (a full pay for half the work ;)

haha

• 179 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM

@169, yeah I went through all that, he was also suprised that we didn’t all live in foggy London and wear bowler hats, as that’s the way his generation saw us portrayed in the movies. He was a good guy for an old redneck though, lovely couple.

• 180 Graeme // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Ibiza – not sure how the term “Honesty” and any of the “Management Team” can be placed in the same paragraph, to be honest!!

Bit of an oxymoron – like Military Intelligence!!

• 181 G // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Graeme, there is Military Intelligence, you just don’t find it with the Intelligence services, least of all the Intelligence Corp.

• 182 JAMSHA // Aug 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Indian Magpie

he can.. if da,lad can sit whole season an earn.. he could take up any job dat doesnt involvd rung n hardwork lol

• 183 Rotonda heights // Aug 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Dok toon,

california is indeed like a breakfast cereal, take out the flakes and yes you have the fruits and the nuts

• 184 pawl250 // Aug 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Interesting to see what Arsenal have spent and sold under Wengers rain.

People say he has lost it. But getting a team to compete for the league title, cups and still finishing in the CL places with a rough net spend of £21.5m since his reign.

AND PEOPLE COMPLAIN WE DO NOT SPEND MONEY?!

Shows that if you have a good manager, buy the right type of players you can compete for the CL.

I feel we are not far off in terms of quality of players, especially the potential. We need a handful of additions.

1) Full back
    2) Centre back
    3) Centre attacking midfielder
    4) Wide attacking midfielder
    5) A striker

If we sign (5) Bafetimbi Gomis, (4)GeorginioWjnaldum, (3)Siem De Jong, (2) Mamadou Sahko, (1) Luke Shaw

Arguably 40m?

this summer and January we will compete for top 6 next year.

Let Obertan, Gosling, Shola, Amalfitano, RTaylor go. (5-7m)

33m net spend.

• 185 alreetlike // Aug 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Magic in his feet. Nightmare for the defenders when he comes running in full speed with the ball glued to his boot :)

• 186 Sav // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I don’t know why some people go to watch football at all. If you don’t love Hatem, what the heck is the matter with you? In the bleak midwinter of the Ashley Years, this lad is an antidote, a star, an oasis. And if his team-mates can only keep up with his pace and his thinking, we could go places. If not, at least we have some entertainment.

previous post: Newcastle’s Bobby Moore Is The Magpies’ Leader