The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Is The Perfect Club – I Am Very Very Happy

12:20 am, Saturday, August 10th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 69 Comments

Newcastle signed Kevin Mbabu on the last day of the January transfer window from Servette in Switzerland, and since that time he seems to have settled in well at the Tyneside club.

kevin mbabu 98732

Kevin Mababu - Newcastle is the perfect club for me

And it turns out that Kevin had a 10 day trial at Arsenal when he was 16 and got an offer to join the Gunners.

But he turned them down and when clubs were after him in January he made it clear that Newcastle was his number one choice.

Servette was the former club of Phillippe Senderos, and Kevin Mbabu has great potential and is a Swiss youth international.

Kevin has given an interview to L’Equipe in France about his six months so far at Newcastle:

“I went ten days with Arsenal. It was a tournament in Italy and in the end, they told me they wanted me and that they would discuss the situation with Servette. I was OK, then I thought about it and I said no. “

“I did not feel ready to go. Everyone spoke of the example of Djourou, but now I do not regret that decision.” “I wanted to leave Servette  for a while. I had this opportunity, I had not even thought about it.”

“When I went to visit the facility ion Tyneside n December, I immediately thought: “This is the perfect club, this is the one I need!” “I am very happy –  very, very happy.”

“Every time I go out in Newcastle, someone looks at me strangely and asks me if I’m Kevin. It’s just crazy! ”  “In Switzerland, when I said I was playing for Servette, people couldn’t care. Others said: “Servette? What is this?

“At Newcastle, you don’t have to say that you play for Newcastle,  because people recognize you.” “But if you say you do, they are amazed. ”

“If it’s me like that for me, I cannot imagine what it’s like for Yohan Cabaye!”

Mbabu is a defender, and the 18 year-old is one of Newcastle’s most promising young players.

And he’s a youngster Newcastle fans love to have at Newcastle, and that’s not a surprise.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Kevin Mbabu · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth

69 responses so far ↓

• 1 paul24 // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Newcastle is the perfect club.

That made me laugh so hard i almost dropped my pint xD
    At least the young’ens happy to be here, i’m sure he’ll change his tune before long :P

• 2 Toonacious T // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Is this my first first?

• 3 Toonacious T // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Denied! Thank God….that would have been a new low, especially on such earth shattering piece of news!

• 4 Honoured2BNUFC // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Evidently not toonacious!

• 5 kevymartins // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM

The younger players love the spotlight, when I met Mehdi Abeid I think he was amazed that someone recognized him. We were the only people in the restruant that recognized him.

• 6 Honoured2BNUFC // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Seems like a really nice kid, plenty of talent and his head properly screwed on-I’m rootin’ for ya lad.

• 7 Toonacious T // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Not long to the City game now….time to unveil our secret weapon to send shivers down Vincent Kompany’s back………re-enter…..Shefni Kuqi…. JFK does the business, lol…

• 8 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Well done, Kevin. Good luck to you.

• 9 Toonacious T // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Is the B list in reality the A list if you only half heartedly pursued the players on the A- list with low ball bids in order to placate the fans and Pardew?

• 10 Sazzer // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:38 AM

What worries me about defence is that Mbiwa looks more of replacement than a complement to Colo at moment.

Something that leave us vulnurable against certain types of strikers regardless they nail position play and pressure in training.

Also Debuchy will get in to trouble against pacy wingers unless he have a pacy CB/DM covering for him. As for now that could be done if practiced by a combination of Mbiwa and Sissoko or Anita.

Santon have the skills to be top defender but he just needs right kind of practice.

• 11 Heslop Toon // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Hope he makes it at newcastle as he seems to be one of the few footballers out there who know how lucky they are to be in the position they are in.

• 12 Toonacious T // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Does anyone else think wearing the rumoured third kit will make us all look like a bunch of man sized Fyfes bananas?

• 13 Sazzer // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

A-list Ameobi
    B-list Bent
    C-list Cole
    D-list Defoe

=)

• 14 Toonacious T // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Z list of DOF’s= JFK

• 15 jimmysmith // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Is Debuchey actually physically slow or simply not yet acclimatized to the pace of the EPL

Santon isn’t slow, neither is Mbiwa, in fact just the opposite, and Colo reads the game so well he rarely gets done for pace.

Tubby Tayls would be well advised to drop ten kilos if he wants to keep his place.

• 16 lesh // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Eeh, well and here’s me thinking it was Cabaye said that about us being the perfect club and being happy to be here.

Well Yohan, what about.it? It’s your call!

• 17 Toon Tang // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:56 AM

under the current regime, we probs wont see this lad for another 5 years

• 18 jeff // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Mbiwa will leave at the end of next season if Colo does not. It is sadly and blatantly obvious Pardew will play Taylor ahead of him this season. He’s a rock, right Kinnear.

• 19 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Does anybody know anythin about kevin mbabu?? Couple months ago I tried 2 check up on him, there was so little information even google wikipedia couldn’t tell me anymore than I already knew. He’s 18, from Switzerland, a rb, joined nufc for 1 million in january and is up and coming.

• 20 jamesnufc86 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I hope what the lad is saying inbetween the lines is what every Newcastle fan feels, for me , I’ll give him 100% support, I know that sounds patronising, as we’ve had lads we’ve stuck by and they have not produced , I.e Ameobi, but still…… What a lion heart he has for NUFC im probably the most passionate hopeful for Campbell . Heaps of people on here have underestimated the talent of the boy , he just needs his ego to be massaged , and he’s a go’er, through him into the deep end , bet he can swim

• 21 jamesnufc86 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Everyone one knocks one off about Mbiwa for no reason, just because you all think he’s an up grade on Taylor ! Taylor is an experienced pl defended, Mapou got his “pants pulled down” by f-ing every striker ! He might have power and pace , but without the smarts you’re just a turd

• 22 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Its another few more days to the start of the campaign, and we have only made a single signing who won’t be available for our first 2 games maybe.

What a great window this has been for Ashley.

• 23 gonufc (Release the Hatem Bomb) // Aug 10, 2013 at 5:06 AM

@jamesnufc86 – totally disagree about M’biwa. He looks like he could become seriously good for us. Did you see when he played LB? He really showed how good a footballer he is, beating their full back and getting crosses in!

Obviously I don’t expect that from our CBs but did you see how many goal-saving blocks he made? The last few games of the season which he played he looked fantastic.

Not quite sure what you’ve seen that makes you think he hasn’t got “the brains” to be good?

• 24 Klatoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Anyone doubting MYM need only remember the away game at Anzhi, didnt put a foot wrong although it was against some ‘unknown’ Cameroonian striker and a 6’5 giant!…also worth noting, Perchy playd alongside and was simply valiant!

• 25 jimmysmith // Aug 10, 2013 at 5:16 AM

I’m not sure if Mbiwa is an upgrade on on Tayls, I just think Tubs is fat, is all.

• 26 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Jimmysmith @25
    I don’t think judging any of our January recruits is very fair just yet really.The coming season will give everyone a far better idea of what they can or cannot do.Also I’m sure I read months ago that Steven Taylor was working very hard in the gym so maybe he’s overdone it because I agree with you,he looks fat!

• 27 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 10, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Morning everyone!

One thing that has been bugging me is the lack of youth player signings over the last couple of years.

…we have released quite a few, but we don’t sign many players at the age of 17 or younger even with the homegrown rule. Why is that? Are we producing these players ourself now? Hardly!

With Mike only signing French players since Brits are way too expensive we are going to need to start developing these homegrown players ourself! So what’s giving?

• 28 Premiership Manager // Aug 10, 2013 at 6:49 AM

One player not many are mentioning is Hadara and for me he looks to be a very talented player, who can not only run the ball out of defence but also cross it as well.

With Mbiwa, Hadara and Anita plus Dummet as back up we have an excellent back line with quality cover in all positions.

In the central midfield we have Sissoko, Cabaye, Tiote, + Anita, Bigi, Gosling and Santon all offering quality cover,

And attacking midfield options are Marvaux, Goufran, HBA, with Obertan, Sammy, Jonas and Vukic offering cover.

Up front we have Cisse & Remy with Shola and Campbell offering cover.

It is a very strong squad and for me Remy, is the one to watch as he offers pace, creativity and can score goals. We didn’t see a lot of him last year but if you take Obertans pace, HBA’s trickery and Cisses finishing that’s what Remy offers.

My only worry is if the rape charge isn’t dismissed we will be left without any options up front.

I think we should drop the Gomis deal as I have a feeling he could be a great disappointment and with the shananagans going on it is obvious he will only come to Newcastle if there are no other options.

I’d much rather see the board take Moses on loan from Chelsea with an option to buy or invest in another 22-25 year old developing striker that fits the business model than leave it until the last minute and wait for the wheels to fall off the wagon.

With the current squad we have all the tools we need. The players have had time to adjust to the EPL, Pardew has lots of options in terms of players and formations therefore there can be no excuses as we do have a very strong squad all be it a bit thin up front.

It is essential we sign another forward and if we can also bring in an attacking midfielder who can cross the ball that would be the icing on the cake.

If it goes wrong, Pardew will be out by the end of October and then JFK will take over but will be out by Xmas. The trouble then will be attracting and recruiting a top quality, proven manager to keep us up. Personally if this happens I would throw the boat out and pay whatever was needed to get a top class manager as that is where we really need to invest if the club is to move forward.

I hope Pardew can deliver and prove us wrong, however with JFK lurking in the back ground creating an atmosphere it can’t be good for the long term future of the club. Signing players is easy yet in reality despite his claims he has yet to bring a permanent player over the line and if Remy is charged, we will have failed on all fronts and unfortunately Pardew will cop the lot for JFK’s and Ashleys failure to support him and bring in the players we need.

You may not like Pardew however he has been thoroughly professional throughout despite being put in a position that most managers would not tolerate.

The Keegan “Love It” interview was a classic, if the wheels fall of the wagon I’d love to see a Pardew rant on JFK and Ashley however I honestly feel he has too much dignity and would simply walk away saying he did his best. Lets hope he can deliver the goods and that JFK is pushed out for failing to deliver.

• 29 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Why is everybody suddenly against sayler.?

The lad is mr newcastle and let’s not forget the amount of time the guy has put his balls quite literally on the line for us. He blocked a shot with his broken face.

Leave it yeeaaaaaaa

• 30 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 6:53 AM

The game to-night is listed on here

• 31 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:03 AM

PM…this is the exact same team with the exact same manager who failed miserably last season!

…excuse me if I am not as confident as you my friend!

I know buying players won’t fix our problems, but it could cure a major one; and that is stopping Pardew playing players out of position and making is negative subs.

He need options! I still think we need another forward and backup RB. Upgrading the likes of Obertan, Gos, Ameobi and Willo is still a priority for me :-)

• 32 cyprus // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Well I’m sorry Tayls supporters (including JFK and AP) as the club is more important than emotional decisions. And we need a settled, safe back four. The defensive line-up lays out by itself: Debs, Mbiwa, Colo, Santon. All internationals. The only possible change is Haidara, left with Santon pushed forward or playing a half each.
    The truth is, Taylor hasn’t progressed, possibly due to injuries. He has the heart, needs work on positioning and reading the game.

• 33 fatfrank // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Can any of the Ashley haters name any owner or Chairman that has actually had the best interests of the club at heart?

I’m no lover of the bloke but I don’t see any difference between him and all the other bloodsuckers we’ve ever had

• 34 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Every body seems to want another CF,I agree we do need one but IMHO a creative AMF is more of a priority.We have have players in defense & in midfield who can play pass & move football. IMHO an AMF who can link play up with the forwards is a must,he should also be able to score goals & that will help to put US on the front foot instead of giving the momentum to the opposition .We need to sort it out asap,prevention is better than cure Mr Pardew !

• 35 jackostoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Morning gents,
    Nutmeg,
    After seeing your link for the match, I thought I’d check the first row site I sometimes use, unfortunately virgin media have now put a block on the site, do you need to sign in, download extras or can you just click on the particular game you want

• 36 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM

jacko
    It’s been a while since i used & i can’t remember tbh but i think it’s just a matter of clicking the game you want.Give it a try ,nothing to lose.

• 37 fatfrank // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM

If Pardew doesn’t have us near the top 6 by Xmas, and hasn’t learnt to play players in their proper position, then the fans will turn against him and he will be gone by Xmas.

I don’t believe Ashley would put JFK in, so who would be next manager?

• 38 jackostoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Cyprus,
    I’m with you on this one bud, for all he is Mr Newcastle, I’m waiting throughout the game for his inevitable mistake, lunge, grab or slip, really worries me and when he does his party piece of looking one way then passing it the other on the halfway line I just cringe, it just doesn’t look right for me

• 39 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Jacko…virgin has probably blocked the DNS server you use (or the one the give you)

…changing it could solve your problem mate ;-)

• 40 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:35 AM

jacko
    This is the one I use,

• 41 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Frank…we are not going to get anywhere near the top 6 unleash we overperform once again and alot of teams underperform!

…the team is simple not good enough! and neither is Pardew!

• 42 jackostoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Nutmeg,
    Cheers kidda, I’ll give it a go, football streaming info is another canny site but the match isn’t listed, I would put the link up but I wouldn’t have a clue how to, I’ve just about mastered me phone man

• 43 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Cyprus @32
    I have to agree with you,I learned a long time ago that you cannot pick a winning team using sentiment.

• 44 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Fatfrank
    No chance, what makes you think that?
    Ashley will be more than happy if we spend the season anywhere between 8th and 14th, anywhere there and no one will be sacked

• 45 jackostoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Jesper,
    Many thanks, but I’d have to get someone with half a brain to show me how to do it, I’ll try asking the daughter and if the vacant look doesn’t come across her face, we might have a chance lol

• 46 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Jacko
    I’m an old codger,strictly a switch on switch off man,also a one finger typist. lol So by the time i’m finished typing this out you should be able to read it some time on Sunday. ha ha

• 47 cyprus // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Nut,
    “a creative AMF is more of a priority”, spot on. Why don’t they see it?
    Jacko,
    When Ronaldinho did that it was magic, you must admit :)

• 48 jackostoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Nutmeg,
    Lol, you’ve just described me, we aren’t twins by any chance ?

• 49 jackostoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Cyprus,
    Good call, I think I’d sooner have Ronaldinho at centre half than Taylor, atleast we’d be entertained

• 50 scout // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Next manager will be Glenn hoddle

• 51 fatfrank // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Tads

We have the players to be pushing near the top 6 if they are played in the right way.

Whilst we can all dream about players needed etc., but we actually need a left winger/inside forward to complete our squad if we’re gonna play 433

If we play 442 we need a Gomis type player as well.

Pardew has the tools available, he needs to use them properly. If he doesn’t, and we under achieve, the fans will turn against him.

It will not be Ashley’s decision – once the fans turn, the manager is history.

We didn’t want Dalgleish, Gullit, or Fat Sam and they all went, regardless of what the owner thought of them.

Enough fans even (shamefully) turned on Sir Bobby and that’s why he went.

• 52 cyprus // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Talking of Ronaldinho, only a couple days ago he scored a great goal! And he is already wearing a Newcastle outfit!! Looks pretty good in it! I’m sure we could have him for a couple mil! Go for it JFK, and you can scrap your B list ;)

• 53 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Mornin lads!

Times the game? And surely there will be a stream considering today’s such a special day?

RIP SIR BOBBY.

• 54 jackostoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Scout,
    You could throw Curbishley or any other manager who has an affinity to London in there, they fit the criteria, would be interesting to see what hoddle could do with our current crop of talented players

• 55 WWYCD // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Never seen him play but at least he knows the right things to say

Anymore rumours for transfers?

• 56 jackostoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Sean,
    6o’clock kidda

• 57 cyprus // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Ronaldinho could do a ‘Davids’ (Fulham I think) for us or a ‘Scholes’. A swan song which would make us this year’s surprise team (yep) like two years ago.
    And imagine that smile at St. James after a cleverly manufactured goal.

• 58 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Fatfrank
    But the club has stated it’s ambitions to only finish mid table, Ashley won’t care about being in the top 6 regardless of the squad and certainly won’t buckle under fan pressure

• 59 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:25 AM

tads

You know that isn’t true, mid table is the bare minimum and 5th is the objective, it’s been said time over.

• 60 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM

What was everybody’s favourite game of the last 3 seasons?

• 61 TorqToon // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Are people seriously saying that Taylor is better than Yanga-Mbiwa??!!

Surely not!!

Morning all…! :-)

• 62 jackostoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Right lads I’m off, have to run the bairn to work, the A1 and metrocentre beckons, catch up later, as long as the wife doesn’t catch me, she’s adamant I’m partaking in an internet relationship, chance would be a fine thing.

• 63 WWYCD // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Torq
    Different type of player imo Mbwia is unproven thus far and wants us as a stepping stone, Saylor knows the PL and says how much he love NUFC at every opportunity

Quality wise Mbwia is probably better though Saylor has a lot of heart, I’m yet to see Mbwia stop a ball on the ground with his face

• 64 scout // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Jacko
    Very true, think Hoddle would at least have them playing. I still have nightmares about that 0-6 Liverpool game. Sniggering Liverpool fans, gets to me just thinking about it.
    Needs a serious change of tactics, almost 70 goals conceded absolute joke. Any left sided player at any other premiership team would walk in our side

• 65 roe997 // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Ronaldinho would struggle 10mins in prem now.i watched him not so long ago for minero he looked like a brazilian kevin nolan cart horse.

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM

@59,
    Oh but we do know it’s true, last summer proved without a shadow of doubt that mid table is all this regime requires success will only see a lack of investment.

• 67 peasngravy // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Morning Torq,
    Great to have you back, you’ve been well missed by everyone and you aren’t allowed to take a break ever again, take note. Any positive news on incomings?

• 68 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Jfa

Howay man, you can’t really think that? The board admitted fault for that and you of all people should know Ashley see’ s money before anything else?

What’s gives you more money? Higher position in the league.

If he wants to sell, what’s more attractive than a team up there with the best, already got the stadium.

If like when he bought the club he still wants to push SD to an international base the best way to do that?

I’m not defending the kernt btw I’m just saying the aim is never going to be to hover around 14 to 9th. Because there isn’t enough money in it.

• 69 danmiller1993 // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I seen him out and about at popular club night ‘Dirtiz’ at Perdu on Wednesday in Newcastle and spoke to him for a decent amount of time, despite the language barrier he seemed a very decent lad and seemed to be loving Newcastle, especially the night life haha! After speaking to him, every time I passed him in the club when would give me a hand shake and seemed over the moon I knew who he was! Seemed a down to earth lad who loves his football!

previous post: This Striker Could Be At The Top Of Newcastle’s B List