The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Tough First Game – But Can Newcastle Be Competitive?

10:05 am, Saturday, August 10th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 290 Comments

Steven Taylor talked at the launch of the new NINE bar at St James’s Park yesterday, which has been controversially renamed from Shearer’s Bar, to honor all the great number nines who have worn the famous black and white shirt and graced St. James’ Park. over the years

Steven Taylor wonga +C7Aj2wXICAsm

Steven Taylor – in action at Ibrox on Tuesday night

And it’s before the beginning of a new season and players and managers are coming out and saying how other clubs should be wary of them – and all that good bravado stuff.

Steven says Newcastle will not be easy prey for Manchester City in nine days time:

“Everybody is expecting Manchester City to take three very easy points – that’ll be everybody around the world and around the country.”

“It isn’t going to happen. We go into it really confident.” “We have players who are really fit now. We’ve got no real problems, only Loic Remy has a slight problem, but hopefully he will be involved as well.”

“It has shown in pre-season the intensity we have worked on this year. It’s through the roof. Anybody who has been at the training ground will tell you that.”

“Fitness-wise, the lads are looking stronger and stronger. Now we look to continue that against Braga.” “It was a bit of a kick up the backside at Rangers, but it got us in the mood for the Man City game.”

“We started a bit slowly on Tuesday and it was a physical game, and it was something different for some of the lads, especially the foreign boys.” “For us, it was a good test and probably what we needed.”

Let’s hope we do a lot better at Manchester City than we did in last season’s fixture earlier this year, when we were hopeless in that first half, and were eventually hammered 4-0.

And then in the next game we lost 2-1 at Wigan and had Massadio Haidara stretchered off, and things got worse from then on.

City have been looking good in pre-season, and of course they have a very strong side and will be wanting to start the season with a win against the 5th bottom side last season.

It will be a good test for our lads, and we’ll be able to see just how this season may go – and whether we are competitive with the top teams, or find a way to lose, which we did far too many times in the league last season.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Friendlies · Newcastle News · Pre-Season · Premier League · Steven Taylor

290 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben3arfa // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM

prediction: 3-0 or 3-1 to Citeh

• 2 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Seems the thrashing of Sunderland is most people’s favourite… let’s relive it eh?

• 3 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Argh! That link cuts out sorry!

• 4 yo-yo // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM

1-0 at Etihad or just going down by the odd goal would show we had beceome much better organised.

• 5 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM

8-0 to the TOON lol

HWTL

• 6 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM

somebody on twitter saying according to Al Jazeera Lyon have dropped their asking price for Gomis to 7 m euro so we can cover agents fees.True or not ?

• 7 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM

nut meg

if it’s on Twitter it’s false

• 8 croftus5678 // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM

honestly i think we will lose at city (i really hope not ofc) but aslong as we show fighting spirits i wont start crying pards out/we should have strengthened more/ashley out/jk is a joke ect ect if we lose.

praying for a gomis and an (ince first choice sinclair close seond)

• 9 yo-yo // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Bills-son

Totally agree on the fundamental weakness at the Toon – defence.
    I think we need to spend as big money as we possibly can on a CB of real quality. If Norwich and Everton can get Toby Alderwerield to even consider them than we can certainly get JFK to seduce him and get him here. We have to plan ahead and Saylor and Colo are not long term answers. Build from the back – but let’s do it properly

• 10 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

That 4th goal is fantastic! The mackam slayer strikes again!

• 11 croftus5678 // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

was watching highlights of arfa’s career so far and it seems he plays equally well on both wings so i wont be fussed if its a left or right winger.

• 12 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Anyone else think Suarez will be crap for Liverpool if they won’t sell him? His attitude stinks so I wouldn’t put it past him.

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Any news on our transfer dealings?

• 14 supershola // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Once again another day without a bid for a player… What a season this is going to be.

• 15 Bearsize // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM

2-0 citeh navas first. But a good performance from our lads!

• 16 Markaccus // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Croftus

Yeah there should not be a problem, as long as he is played as a wing forward and not as a winger in a 442.

Sean

I am not sure he will be cr@p but i am sure he will drag has problems wherever he goes

• 17 Markaccus // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

*his

• 18 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM

It’s going to be tough but possibly the best time to play them. First day of new season with a new manager.
    Reckon they might win the league at a canter this year though.

• 19 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Maybe be should. just hope we play like crap tonight; that will surely put some pressure on both Pardew and JK? ;-)

…NUFC only knows how to do dealings under pressure; just look at last season!

• 20 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I reckon 1-1

• 21 niafron // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Bonjour messieurs.

Entertaining game for the start of the season yesterday in France… Many people expect it would be a great show in France all over the year.

Concerning NUFC, do we have an idea of the players who will play tonight?

• 22 John Tudor // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM

yes the usual suspects

• 23 Markaccus // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Niafron

Dont know, but id imagine his planned best available starting 11 will get some time together. I hope.

• 24 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I’d say we will either get womped on with the honeymoon period of Pellegrino and navas jovetic n so on or we will get a 1 all or just about lose it.

• 25 Do the shaka hislop // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Predictions either 4-2 city negredo nets first or 3-2 toon cisse brace 1 frm remy if he makes an appearance.

On remy…a loan deal is certainly best to protect the club, could always make it permanent come jan by paying the last of the 6.8mil buyout clause.

dont know why we aren’t looking at the likes of fischer from ajax, cracking young winger, would come under 10mil, good on the ball, great vision, strong and an eye for goal hence 20 goals from lw/cam role last season… and ajax dont produce bad players like… alderwiereld has already said he wont move and didnt fancy newcastle, sure I read that somewhere, so how about getting back in for zouma from st. Etienne.

And imo, id cash in on santon and buy a full back who can go forwards AND backwards, lads got massive potential but niether of our full backs can defend, which leaves us getting minced week in week out.

As I think this will be our problem against city, navas, fernandinho and jovetic will destroy our fbs for pace and skill on the ball. Richards would be an excellent buy from city, even if it meant debs going the other way, know who id rather have.

lads got unreal composure… worth a watch.

HWTL!

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Felipe,
    It’s a tricky one the squad maybe better in quality but whether it is stronger remains to be seen you talk of Mbwia for Perch and so on but so many times se have seen PL experienced players go out the squad doesn’t just need replacing we seriously need to add to it.

• 27 roe997 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Markaccus

so jonas starts haha

• 28 niafron // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM

@Markaccus

Well, not sure cause many players supposed to be in the starting eleven played 3 days ago.

• 29 Blofal // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Yes Viktor Fischer is a player I’d love at Newcastle. I just dont trust Pardew with him to be honest.

• 30 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Jail, I don’t think the club are trying to weaken it. In Carr we used to trust. There’s nobody outside the top 6 I’d swap squads with put it that way…

• 31 Graeme // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

JFA, agreed that on paper we should be a far better team than we were last season, for a number of reasons, not least being that the players brought in during the January window have now settled and have had a full pre-season together.

The problem is still we have sold players without replacing them – why we sold Perch just makes no sense and we only have one recognised striker on board in Cisse.

Then you have to factor in the Manager; his team selection, his set-up, his tactics and his objectives. He does not instil any degree of belief that he has learned from last season and that things will change for the better.

I think the jury will be out for a couple of months on that one!!!

• 32 jackostoon // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I’m hoping with it all being quiet on the rumours, transfers front that this might be a good thing, I like surprises

• 33 jeff // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM

• 34 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Good morning all
    Seannufc
    Of all days the game I will relish the most is of course-SIR BOBBY ROBSON’S first game in charge and the famous 8-0 drubbing of Sheffield Wednesday.

• 35 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I’m thinking about having some mates round to watch the match, does anyone know if there’s any signs of a stream yet? We were gonna go but two of the lads are working until half 5 so we wouldn’t make it unfortunately.

• 36 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Jazzy

The question was since we came back up but that was fantastic :D

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Felipe,
    I never said they were trying to weaken it, they did weaken it before the EL last year, they need to get rid of this obsession with one A list player for rach position

• 38 croftus5678 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM

@35 sean

sadly i’m working :-( but hoping to see the highlights.

• 39 Rotonda heights // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Felipe

How pathetic, predictable and unimaginative is it calling people who don’t agree with you mackems.

If we didn’t support NUFC why the hell would we invest so much time on here. Ask yourself that.

We were very happy with KK, SBR and even when Pardew played 433 by default.

So is our crime calling it when we finish 16th with a great squad but a manager who has been found out yet again like all his previous clubs?

Are we meant to be happy with that and that makes us mackems. Still they say ignorance is bliss and in your case you must be deliriously happy.

• 40 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Who the hell sorted the Marveaux transfer out and where is he now?,went to bed,woke up and we had signed Marveaux.That’s how you do business.

• 41 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Favourite football related memories:

Trading my mate 20 vinnie Jones stickers (Wimbledon fan) for his Alan shearer shiny in the old collector books. Schmuck lol

• 42 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Croftus

Cheers fella, hope work isn’t too painful for ya.

• 43 Do the shaka hislop // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Blofal I agree but if im honest I dont see him being here after xmas.

I reckon ash is readying club for a sale and next summer rangers will be back into spl or nearly there, and with this whole green saga he can steam in and buy majority shares there,which wouldnt cost as much as recouped money from NUFC sale, invest a little in players and hes gor regular CL football and money back.

so pards wont be here next season anyway imo, so bringing fischer in wodnt be too bad a year to adapt to pl under parsnip then new owner and gooood manager brought in next year.

heres hoping anyway!

• 44 croftus5678 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

imo from the “end” of last season our squad is now stronger !
    this is based on the players sold in which perch and simpson were the only usable additions and with the likes of anita/bigi/dummett who i class as “better” squad players then perch/simmo.
    with reguards to incommings we have lost none of our attacking options so far and gained a player i deem as a vital cog which should improve our weakest link area.

ofc we could yet sign gomis and a winger which would further push our squad quality but this is pure specualtion atm.

imo squad wise we need a gk and a cb as i can not trust saylor/willo so if either collo/mbiwa get injured we are knackered imo (could be addressed in jan maybe)

• 45 NUFCarter // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

haha legend just found how to get on firstrowsports its no longer firstrowsports.eu but its now http://www.firstrow.org/.

Cheeky bastards :). F you sky sports I like BT sport though.

• 46 NUFCarter // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

NUFC vs SC Braga on firstrow 18:00

• 47 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Notice Tottenham vs espanyol friendly is on itv4 yet, Sir Bobby Robson day today and we have a friendly at home, you would assume we would be making an event of it and that it would be televised?

I know last season I signed up for Lufc for a year to watch our friendly (wish I hadn’t) why do we never use nufctv for this?

• 48 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Rotonda
    How pathetic going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
    about Pardew.
    We’re one week away from the start of the season and any decent supporter would be getting behind the team not undermining them. Anyone who just keeps going on and on and on about Pardew without a single positive thing to say about the club is in my opinion no better than a mackem.
    I don’t suppose you go to the games but if you were there at the first game would you be shouting abuse at Pardew, Shola, Jonas etc or would you be supporting the team? If it’s the latter then best start now. If it’s the former then we don’t need your support.

• 49 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I know there is 20 odd days left for the transfer window to close, And we have brought in Remy on loan. But if nobody else is to be bought in to the fold-do you get a sense that this could be a struggle for Nufc this term ??.
    I know our first eleven is strong and definitely top ten material but outside of that I feel we are very week. Nufc have let fringe players leave who played a part last term due to injuries and as of yet have not replaced them.
    Worrying times if no other players are brought in and imo would be an unmitigated disaster if a loan signing is all we have to show is a loan capture.

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Croftus,
    “We have lost none of our attacking options” , how could you even consider that we might of.

• 51 John Tudor // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

felipe you put up with him we wont

• 52 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Jail, fair enough. Haven’t got my head around purples and all that but I see us heading in the right direction…
    I’d rather have a Geordie Abramovich as an owner as well but there aren’t too many of them. In the meantime I’ll support the team and hope that someone on hear invents the next iphone or something!

• 53 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM

JohnTudor
    I’m not going to call for his head the week before our first match. For me he has until Christmas at least to show the previous season wasn’t a fluke. Simples.

• 54 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM

At very least we should be ‘competitive’ in this game. I can handle us losing to better teams when we set up right and give them a game. What I can’t handle is watching us roll over like a dying animal.

We’ve got some physical players and I’m hoping we make our presence felt. I think breaking up play and hitting them on the break will be our best tactic. I reckon a 5 man midfield might be the best formation for this game; Tiote in front of the back 4 with Sissoko and Cabs just in front of him. We could do with HBA’s pace and ability to break but I can’t decide who to play on the other side – which only serves to highlight how badly we need winger(s). I’ve got a feeling that Pards might play Jonas for his defensive protection. Our full backs will need to be very mobile in this game.

I really hope we don;t play a straight 4-4-2 with Shola and Cisse up top. Fair to assume Remy won’t start this game?

• 55 croftus5678 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

@49 jazzyp

i understand what you mean in the players we have let go played a part last season.

the way i based if we are stronger or not is

(perch) would i rather play perch or would i play bigi or anita ! personally i chose the two latters before perch.

(simpson) would a rather play anita or santon (rb)(with hairdryer/dummet as lb) again i chose the latter.

not trying to convince anyone just viewing what went through my mind.

• 56 John Tudor // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

im not calling for his head
    its full of sawdust
    bring me the head of alfredo garcia

• 57 Yohan Kebab // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM

against city i would line up

krul
    debuchy mbiwa colo santon
    Sissoko Tiote Cabaye Jonas
    HBA
    Cisse

i know sissoko isnt a rm but he is adept at playing there, and having hba infront of debuchy citys left side would annihilate us, need more defensive cover

• 58 Do the shaka hislop // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Felipe dont know why you keep calling people mackems I had a season ticket for ten years used to go with me dad and me grandad before I bought my own… none of us are mackems at all. Im fully behind pards and the squad as I always have been and always will be behind every squad and every manager… but that doesnt mean I dont want to see change and hope that its coming, perhaps the fact you dont look at the possibility of the current regimes tenure coming to an end as a bright new day and a move forward makes you a mackem? Not really, but it does mean your willing to accept mediocre performances and embarrassing drubbings that would have me dad and grandad spinning in their graves like. Ill never forgive pards for making me endure last season and the embarrassment that was brought on my club, if he pulls it out of the bag this season then fair play to the bloke, but I just cant see it, and id rather look to greener pastures free from cashley and his jobs for the boys attitude.

If we play parsnips way hes been using in pre season at city, they’ll f@cking stuff us. Im just optimistic something may sink in to his thick heed by then.

• 59 croftus5678 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM

imo i think “losing” a fringe player in shola would be a lot more effective for us than signing a player (strange i know but its when shola plays that brings fans to there knees with tears)

• 60 Thump // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I honestly don’t care what the result is against City as long as I see a committed performance from the lads (mind, if they don’t give us that, I wouldn’t be an advocate to starving them…).

• 61 Do the shaka hislop // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Think its hard for the players when tsctical awareness and understanding of matching roles to players is seriously lacking. Long as the boys give it their all ill be happy.

heres to.hoping

• 62 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Yohan,

Away to city I would play both Anita and Tiote in a 4-2-3-1.

Krul
    Debuchy Taylor Colo Santon
    Tiote Anita
    Sissoko Cabaye Jonas
    Cisse

HBA off the bench in second half if all going well and maybe Gouffran for Jonas or Remy if fit.

• 63 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Yohan Kebab

This is where I keep coming unstuck. I think we definitely need HBA to start; put him on the wing and I agree, we’re suspect there, but imo playing Sissoko on the wing is a total waste of Sissoko and I don’t agree that he’s ‘adept’ there. I like HBA in the number 10 role but then we’re stuck with Jonas on the left (good for defensive cover but won’t put a decent cross in all game) and , imo, nobody to play on the right. We really need a winger!

‘this is one game where i think we do need to set up defensively and look for a magic moment from one of the front two.’ Totally agree there. We need to keep this tight and be compettitive. A snatch-and-grab 1-0 would be great!

How about 5 in defense, full backs very mobile providing width when we go forward whilst Tiote/Anita cover, then no need for out of place/inferior wingers..?

• 64 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Shaka
    I hop you didn’t mean testicle and meant tactical lol

• 65 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

hope

• 66 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Felipe

I fear Cisse will become badly isolated in that formation. It doesn’t play to Cabaye’s strengths either. He prefers to drop deep and pull the strings. Cisse will probably disappear.

• 67 croftus5678 // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM

i would go

—————–krull—————
    debs—mbiwa–collo–santon
    arfa–sissoko–cabaye–guti
    ———–cisse–goofy———-

goofy up front because i think we rely on cisse far too much and goofy has been awsome as a cf in friendlys
    and guti i wouldnt norm put in but in the friendly’s he’s been bloody good “like a new signing” :-) so i’d put him in hoping he carries it on.

• 68 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Bench would be Elliott HBA Gouffran Remy Marveaux Mbiwa Gomis (or Shola!)

Strong bench…

• 69 Do the shaka hislop // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Jazzyp

definitely tactical… people will start talking haha

• 70 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Rowan

Possibly. I just think HBA is too much of a luxury for a start away from home and expecially against the top 6. But fair enough.

• 71 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

krul
    debs collo taylor yanga
    tiote anita
    santon cabs socks

goofy

• 72 Yohan Kebab // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

rowan,

i would love to see us play 5/3 at the back depending on what way you look at it, but i dont think first pl game against man city is the time to test it!

the reason i say sissoko rm, is we have no better options that dont leave us exposed, and he had his best career game for france, though 1 good game there doesnt define that as his position

it is a problem, but it looks like pardew has chosen 4231 and 442 as his formations, and as such we should have players built around those.

if it were up to me i would get in a top commanding physical cb, and play debuchy and santon as wingbacks, they were born for it

• 73 croftus5678 // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

@63 rowan

imo manc’s attack is far too strong for our defence even with collo/mbiwa as cb’s so i would go the other way and stick a solid 2 cm’s in siss/cabaye and send fb’s/wing’s/strikers to hammer there weaker back lines and hopefully demoralise them before they force us into a back 11.

• 74 santonthenewmaldini // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Can people stop putting Jonas at left mid he is shite there!!!

The only games where he played well last season where when he played right wing which were Chelsea and Villa he is perfect to play there to cover Debuchy and he can cross with his right

How about this :

Krul
    Debs
    Colo
    Mbiwa
    Santon
    Sissoko
    Cabaye
    Jonas RWF
    Gouffran LWF
    Arfa/Marveux No10
    Cisse

Gives us the benefit of 2 wide men who track back and can cause bother as Gouffran is good on the left and Jonas is miles better on the right

• 75 pawl250 // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM

City game

——————— Krul
    ——- Mbiwa – STaylor – Coloccini
    Debuchy ————————— Santon
    ——– Cabaye – Tiote – Sissoko
    ——————————————
    ——————- Gouffran
    ———————- Cisse

• 76 Yohan Kebab // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

heres a thought, how about mbiwa lb, santon rw, hba lw?

• 77 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Santonthenewmaldini
    3 mins ago
    Can people stop putting Jonas at left mid he is shite there!!!

Only when people stop putting benny in the number 10 role because he’s shite there!!!

• 78 Yohan Kebab // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM

anyway pardew chooses the line up so we will see shola jonas and taylor for sure as well as tiote

• 79 Do the shaka hislop // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM

TDS

Agreed its the last place I’d play benny he cant do what mata etc do and have free reign behind the striker

• 80 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Tiote granted was abysmal last season, But I would like him to be given another chance as the season we came 5th was a cracking player.
    Jonas season by season has progressively got worse, Tiote has had one bad season and people are wrighting him off.Give the guy a chance lads,We all go through a bad spell in life !!

• 81 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Felipe

I can see it both ways with HBA. On the one hand he looks unfit and offers little or no defensive cover (he has improved that aspect of his game in that he tracks back but he can’t tackle for toffee) but on the other he is easily one of our best players and has that magic that can unlock a good defense. I just feel that if we are to hit City on the break the we’ll need his pace and trickery (according to Pards HBA has clocked the fastest sprint time in training).

Yohan Kebab

Yeah, Debuchy and Santon would make excellent wingbacks and that would play to their strengths for sure. We could play an excellent back 5 with those 2 as WBs but as you say, we haven’t been practising that formation so it would be foolish to trial it against City. If we play 4-2-3-1 then I would favour Tiote and Sissoko in front of the back 4, HBA and Cabs flanking Gouffran with Cisse up top. The 2 CMs can cover the defense but I’m still not convinced that’s robust enough.

You make valid points about Sissoko at RM but it’s a sad reflection of our midfield that we may end up playing him there due to lack of alternatives. I’m toying with the idea of playing HBA and Gouffran flanking Cisse but I fear we would be too exposed in this game if we did.

croftus5678

I certainly agree that we need 1, if not 2, solid CMs in front of the defense. If we find a way to allow Debuchy & Santon to attack and offer width then I feel we carry a good threat going forward. We can’t afford to be camped in our own half for too long and we need outlets to relieve pressure and offer something by way of attack.

Basically this is my very long-winded way of saying – I’m not sure what we should do! I’m going back to the drawing board… if only we had a tried-and-tested 5-3-2, it would be perfect for this game.

• 82 Yohan Kebab // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM

overwhelming emotion for this season is just pure uncertainty

• 83 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Tads
    Benny played AMC twice last year with 1 assist,where does this “myth”come from that he is rubbish there?
    Moussa’s played there 15 times 3 goals 3 assists,it’s also another “myth” that he can’t play there too,that is a decent return.

• 84 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM

toonarmydownsouth

A few people have said that but I swear I’ve seen him play there effectively. Is my memory failing me (it happens a lot) or has he not been played in the number 10 role in ages?

• 85 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Too many armchair coaches on this website ;-)

• 86 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I hope GC & JK have went scouting in Holland today.Feyenoord V FC Twente. 1 or 2 players worth a look there.

• 87 Yohan Kebab // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM

mr mojo

i agree benny should be given another shot there, but moussa had two good games there and the rest were below par, think hes a cracking player mind

• 88 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Yohan
    If you have a look at the link it would suggest it’s his best position,he has an average rating of 7.07 there,he has a rating of 7.17 at DM but he only played there once.

• 89 Yohan Kebab // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

i think there would be many less armchair fans if we felt that pardew was doing his job properly

i give him till christmas, if we are lower than 12th he should go

• 90 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

MrMojo
    That simply means that sissoko should not be a CAM and that site shows starts
    Benny has drifted centrally many games and never looks composed enough
    Holds the ball to long try’s to do to much and inevitably loses it
    He needs the time and space he gets on the wings to operate
    The bloke has played for bigger and better coaches than pardew, none of which utilised him as a number 10
    The only myth is that benny is a number 10

• 91 supershola // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

We are desperate for a defender. I dont why everyone seems to believe our defence is ok and we dont have to worry about it. We were shocking last term and to think we are still yet to actaully buy a player this season is embarrasing.

• 92 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM

marveaux is the only midfielder we have who seems to be able to operate as a true number 10
    How this hasn’t been made a priority position to strengthen this window is bizarre

• 93 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Tads
    I said it would “suggest” that it would be his best position.
    If you want to argue with facts,go ahead.All as i’m saying is if you don’t want to look silly why don’t you do a bit of research before you unleash 1 of your opinions in public.

• 94 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Mr.Mojo
    That website also only gives him an average rating of 6.6 in the CAM role
    Hardly suggests he played well does it

• 95 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM

He played there twice with 1 assist,and your recent Marveaux post
    Marveaux AMC Played 5,no assists,no goals.Did you read my last post?

• 96 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Personally I think HBA should be given more time in ACM. Many of his best runs have been through the middle and the fact that he holds on to the ball for too long is a reflection of his immaturity and shortcomings as a player, not as an ACM (and that’s not me having a pop btw, I love him as a player but he can be a bit wasteful and foolish sometimes). I’ve seen him try one too many jinks and on the wing and overrun the ball a fair few times.

I think the stats at http://www.whoscored.com/Players/10194/ go some way to proving his worth there but ultimately it’s only stats based on a few appearances. The good thing about HBA is that I don’t feel he’s ‘wasted’ in ACM or on either flank. In that respect he’s versatile.

Sissoko can clearly play there but for me he is best utilised when coming in from a deep central position.

• 97 santonthenewmaldini // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

@Toon Army Down South

Yeah for me I think Arfa I would prefer him on the right wing because it forces teams to double up on him giving space to other players but against City its us who have to do double up against their wingers so there might be more space for him in the middle plus he is not going to be great at tracking the likes of Silva, Clichy and Navas for a whole game

Personally would love to see Marveux in the no 10 like a proper run not one game and then dropped for 5 after its no wonder he looks a bit rusty or goes missing in games its very hard to sit on the bench knowing no matter how well you play the second Jonas etc gets fit again you are on the bench cant inspire you to want to try your heart out can it?

• 98 Mister Tuff // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Just checked the FSI site- Football Streaming Information -links already up for the game tonight.
    COOLSPORTZ – Browser PT
    TYKES TV – Browser
    STOPSTREAM – Browser
    FIRST ROW – Browser
    VIP BOX – Browser

• 99 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

While we’re on that site I see Sinclair’s weaknesses are crossing, holding onto the ball and defensive contribution. Perhaps that’s why were not after him :-)

• 100 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Mr.Mojo
    Not it doesn’t suggest it’s his best position, the match ratings it’s given actually suggest its one of his worst
    Perhaps you should do your research?
    Any website like that never gives a full picture as benny drifts all game in different positions
    In the middle he looks lost of ideas and loiters on the ball far to long or try’s to take on to many players, he doesn’t look for the killer pass other established number 10′s do
    Look at coutinho for Liverpool last season, that’s a true number 10, not benny the lad is a winger
    The number 10 role is a failed pardew project

• 101 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM

toonarmydownsouth

I feel that we also needed to prioritise a winger and a CB but that hasn’t seem to have happened either! I don’t know whether all this ‘focus’ talk is a smokescreen for what we’re really up to (fingers crossed) but if not it seems that we can only ‘focus’ on one area at a time. So far, 1 striker on loan and that has been the only ‘focus’ area. Argh.

nut meg

Me too. Lots of talent there. what time is the ko?

Felipe

We’re all armchair opinionists here!

• 102 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Tads
    A few people have said this before about him being selfish,he is the best player at our club.If he can score goals like he did at Blackburn and against Bolton he’s earned the right in my eyes to be a bit selfish,with the teams we put out last season do you want to see him lay one off for Perch or Obertan?,and i can’t remember many times he failed to pass to a player in a clear goalscoring situation because that is one of my pet hates.His best position for me would be AMC,tell him to run at players every time he gets the ball and not worry too much about defensive duties,he is perfect for that role.

• 103 tdt // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I think this is our best team when everyone’s fit:

—————–Krul—————-
    Debuchy–Mbiwa–Coloccini–Santon
    ———–Tiote—-Sissoko———
    HBA———Cabaye——–Remy
    —————Cisse—————

Subs: Elliot, S.Taylor, Anita, Jonas, Marveaux, Gouffran, SholaA.

Reserves: Alnwick, Haidara, R.Taylor, Good, Streete, Williamson, Mbabu, Tavernier, Dummett, Bigiramana, Amalfitano, Gosling, Vuckic, Obertan, SammyA, Campbell.

That’s a pretty decent squad at the moment I’d say. I’ve probably missed some out but that’s basically what we’ve got right now.

One more class striker could turn this squad into something special if the players play to their full potential and stay fit.

• 104 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Only joking ;-)

• 105 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Rowan
    Agreed, we need another CB really, Taylor is not reliable over a season due to his injury record and most fans seem to want Williamson to simply disappear so I’d like to see a CB bought in

Wingers have been a priority for years now so not holding my breath mate!!!

• 106 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Tads

Your failure to acknowledge the facts mono has provided is bizarre, it clearly shows hba is unproven at number 10 but 1 assist in 2 games is at least a positive sign, sissoko in 10 shows he’s quite effective, marv on the other hand it shows he’s much better on the left, which if you wanted to complain about something I’d suggest not dropping jonas for him would be it.

• 107 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Tads
    And how do you come to the conclusion that the stats suggest that Moussa’s worst position is AMC?,it clearly say’s 15 apps 3 goals 3 assists with an average rating of 7.07.
    That is the second highest rating out of all the positions he played apart from DM and he only played there once.

• 108 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Mojo*

• 109 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Mr.Mojo
    Of course he shouldn’t be defending but he shouldn’t be in the middle either
    2 goals doesn’t earn him the right to do f all, nearly every number 10 in the league last season were making fantastic runs against far better opposition than Blackburn and Bolton (both runs you mentioned happened over a season ago)
    The bloke for all of his hype simply doesn’t contribute enough to the team in terms of assists or goals to justify his hype or label
    It’s a big market and there are many many many number 10′s better suited to the role than Ben Arfa

• 110 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Tads

Weren’t you quite positive a few weeks back? Or am I thinking of tds or one of the other southern lads?

• 111 Rainrix // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Tuff… Its on portuguese tv according to .com so i’d expect one of them will work for once.

• 112 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Mr.Mojo
    When did I say it’s sissoko’s worst position? Or even mention him at CDM?

Sean
    No it show he’s started 2 games at CAM
    You seem to think I’m the only person who holds this opinion so by all means crack on but actually watching the games instead of reading purely stats you can see benny struggles in the middle

• 113 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:13 PM

In my opinion Ben Arfa is wasted on the wing. Too predictable for defenders to deal with. Better having him in the hole and they can’t cope. Either way I wouldn’t start him against Man City.

• 114 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I know all about the rubbish talked on here as I’m responsible for a lot of it but when people start saying the team would be better off losing a player than signing one it’s hard to take this blog seriously.

• 115 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Sean
    Also if your going to use stats, find a site which offers more of the picture
    Find on that shows his pass completion rate from CAM, his key passes, his successful run percentage, possession gained/lost etc

• 116 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Tads
    I have responded to you enough to show you you are wrong,i’m not even going to bother responding to your last bit of nonsense.Apart from this little beauty anyway.Nearly every no 10 in the league was making those kind of runs against better teams,are you serious?

• 117 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Sean
    So not seeing benny as a CAM makes someone negative?
    Or agreeing that the squad needs strengthening?
    Strange

• 118 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Tads
    And this is when you said it is Moussa’s worst position.
    Mr.Mojo
    Your tying yourself in knots.

• 119 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Tads

I’m not singling you out mate n I’m not saying he should play there, what I am saying is that you can’t really write him off when there’s no evidence to the contrary.

I’d prefer sissoko there tbh or cabaye because I watched a few motd games I’ve got recorded this morning and cabaye wastes the ball a lot by humping it up field, if he was pushed up further he would probably do it less

• 120 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM

The most boring part of this blog is when people just spout forth their opinion as if it was fact…

• 121 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Mr.Mojo
    That’s was about benny mate not sissoko

You haven’t presented anything to suggest it’s bennys best position

• 122 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Tads

Howay mate, you know what I mean in regards to positivity, n I didn’t once mention about strengthening the team?

You seem to be getting riled with me for what I see as innocent debate.

• 123 Mister Tuff // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM

for those that did not know the PL recently had a court case against First Row Sports -it resulted in the 6 main UK ISP’s banning First Row from screening the games. However as a poster has previously indicated it look like First Row have just changed their address slightly which if correct will not be banned by the 6 UK ISP’s.

Sean -previous post – ref Remy you stated that if there was evidence he would have been charged by now. Not the way it works in the UK I’m afraid. He is on bail until a date in September when he has to return to a London cop shop. When he responds to his bail he will find out whether he is to be charged or otherwise. If he is charged -I would anticipate he will get bail -so will still be available to us.

• 124 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Tads
    Nor have you to suggest it’s his worst

• 125 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Felipe,
    You will find it is the disciples of Mike Ashley that are most guilty of that.

• 126 Burni // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Sean

Thank you for that link at the top! Thank you so much!

• 127 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM

@MisterTuff
    and if he doesn’t get bail he’ll be playing in the hole :-)

• 128 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Sean
    Fair enough mate, I’m not writing him off there, I’m just saying I don’t think he’s a great CAM, it’s a position I’d prefer we made a signing in instead of experimenting with another player being played out of position!
    I also agree on cabs, when he’s played deep he sprays wasteful balls all over the park would much rather see him pushed up

• 129 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM

@Jail
    That would be wrong too. Think it best to just keep it to our opinions and say so…

• 130 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Tuff

Surely that can’t be right? If you have been accused of a very serious crime such as rape and there’s enough evidence then surely they can’t leave them on the streets?

I’m not saying your wrong by the way, I’m more in disbelief if this is how our judicial system works.

• 131 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Feliepe
    Didn’t say I had, said imo it’s not his best suited position and don’t think he’s impressed there
    His worst position is when we played him as a CF :)

• 132 Mister Tuff // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

felipe – if he does not get bail and we have not got Gomis -or another strong forward – we are in the claggy/back where we started -ie powder puff attack -no goals/cannot hold ball up/put pressure on midfield and defence or in other words a continuation of last seasons final games. Plus our first game will be a walloping by City -which will not help confidence.

• 133 valle // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Felipe… Ben Arfa predictable? Are you kiddin me? He is anything but, no matter where you put him. If he was predictable, it wouldnt be much better to put him in the hole as you suggest.

• 134 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Tads

I’m with you mate, the obvious on everyone’s lips seems siem, n I genuinely think if a bid is accepted he would leave regardless of what he has said. I can’t see us making a bid though, not with sissoko seemingly taking the position.

Burni

I felt spirits needed lifting, your welcome. It was due to a debate of people’s favourite game since we came back up.

• 135 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Felipe,
    I wholeheartedly agree there’s nothing worse than somebody saying we would have done a Leeds. FACT.

• 136 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM

toonarmydownsouth

Indeed. I like Taylor but he is a little suspect and he’s bound to get injured at some point. An injury to Colo or Mbiwa and we’ve got that old, boring and costly problem once again. Sigh.

On the HBA debate – my last thought is that I stand by what I said about HBA playing at ACM but he can also play on the flanks. Those stats show that he is more than capable at ACM but they’re based on only a few appearances and are by no way a comprehensive guide. Also, stats only say so much. There’s no point in us all getting bent out of shape about it (I’ve just watched Frasier, hence the Americanism there). So long as HBA isn’t playing the season out on the treatment table I’ll be reasonably happy.

Felipe

Ha, I thought it was probably a bit tongue-in-cheek ;) And yes, HBA can be a tad predicable sometimes – if he played a simple pass he would surprise everyone! (Including the recipient.) I love him though. Class player.

tdt

Nice team mate. And yes, a good squad but that clearly highlights a need for a CB and probably 2 wingers. I like your formation but if we play a different one that requires out-and-out wingers then we’re stuck with HBA (rendering the whole ACM debate null and void) and Jonas (no need to regurgitate my opinion there). No options whatsoever. Marvs is much better central than out wide. Obertan makes me sad.

• 137 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM

G/Day guys

Slow news day, I see.

TUFF

You still stuck up on that roof?

If so, make a big sign, “ASHLEY OUT”

See if you can attract a buyer for the club.

• 138 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Jfa

We would have done a pompy FACT! ;)

• 139 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:35 PM

@jail
    Nice to agree on something mate!

• 140 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:37 PM

@valle 133
    What I meant was if he is on the wing he is likely going to cut inside whereas playing in the hole they have no idea which was he is going. Saying it makes it sound simplistic but I’m sure you know what I mean.
    Just my opinion of course…

• 141 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:38 PM

@tads 131
    Fair do’s

• 142 LeToonARMY // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Team for tonight would be:

___________________KRUL_________________
    __DEBUCHY____MBIWA____COLLO___SANTON__
    ________SISSOKO_________TIOTE____________
    ____BEN ARFA____CABAYE_______JONAS_____
    __________________CISSE____________________

SUBS:
    S.TAYLOR
    MARVEUX
    ANITA
    SHOLA
    SAMMY.AMEOBI
    GOUFFRAN

• 143 Pokat // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM

While I was walking u the stair
    I met a man who wasn’t there…. so goes the Gomis saga, eh? Another day, another yawn. So, the powers above think the same crew PLUS a swap of DL for JFK will work wonders this season eh? I dunno bout youse lot but I am not sure Mr Remy will supercharge us to top o’ ‘t league ha ha. You never know, though.

Re: streaming – if you caught Thumps endorsement of immunicity.org, all this banning mumbo jumbo may be moot if you can get round it with fast proxies (see Nerd Dictionary). I will give it a throw tonight to see if it can stream fast enough.

Anyways, all this benny is not a no 10 and other stuff and nonsense – is it just that he hasn’t really played enough games (and been decently fit enough) in any position to settle yet? He started with us on the left and wasn’t too shabby, it certainly got jonas’ butt into gear ha ha it looked like he lost his place until the contract job by DeJong. Wherever Pardew rams him in, I wish he would be a. fit and b. supported by his midfield. I think its lack of cohesive passing in midfield that forces benny to go solo or fiddle about and lose it, in much the same way as Tiote does his whirligig thing. Its not always the player thats all the fault, its a lot to do with the setup around the player too.

• 144 Pokat // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM

oh and I can say FACT too, and that my friends is a FACT. :)

• 145 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Here goes, my team for Shitty

Krul

Debuchy, Taylor, Colo, Mbiwa

Tiote, Sissoko

Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Gouffran

Cisse

Subs: Elliott, Anita, Santon, Marveaux, Jonas, Shola

• 146 Novocastrian66 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Hey lads, I was at the test match yesterday. Have to say what brilliant day out. I’m gutted I’m not there today. If you haven’t done it seriously recommend it.

• 147 Pokat // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM

expat – not expecting Remy to make the subs?

• 148 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM

LeToonArmy, think that team is probably what will play. Depending on Pardews CB preference, surely it is Mbiwa over Taylor.

Regards to pre season, all been about fitness, but tonight is the real practice game. Delibirately playing difficult opposition (a la fiorentina last year), will play full strength team with very similar tactics to what we will be using throughout the season.
    Hopefully tonight we get a good performance from the lads.

• 149 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Felipe@127

Ha, nice! If we still had Demba I would make a ‘playing behind Ba’s’ joke. But we don’t. So I can’t.

Jail@135

Because fact into doubt won’t go (if you’ve never seen The Day Today then that won’t be at all amusing).

• 150 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Sean
    Agreed, a De Jong type, for me, would complete a very talented midfield
    Also think in someways it’s a very very big season for Benny, with the World Cup and next summer I think he’ll be in the last year of his contract
    So he needs to keep himself fit IMO because I can’t see MA offering a contract if the lad will be injured constantly if he’s looking to trim the wage bill as some have suggested

JFA
    Keep with the times mate it’s doing a Coventry now ;)

• 151 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Newcastle have been formally offered the chance to sign Eto’o for a nominal fee.

Any takers

• 152 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

POKAT

No ,mate, I don’t expect him to be involved for a few games especially as he has only just started training after a month out,

I am hoping that we may have Gomis “over the line” sometime before the game but that is still open to conjecture.

• 153 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM

LeToonArmy
    Good looking team that
    Would like to see vuckic on the bench though, get some more minutes before the season starts

• 154 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM

CHARLIE

No, not at the salary he will be demanding

• 155 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Tads:
    Vuckic looks like going out on season long loan so don’t count on him…

• 156 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM

tads, didn’t Ben Arfa start discussing a new 5 year deal at the end of June? I reckon it will go through in November, after Ben Arfa has proved his fitness.

• 157 Pokat // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Expat – I don’t either tbf, but the engine room of NUFC PR is trying to get us on board with talk of him being ready for the off. Can’t see it. Be nice to stick him on 2nd half and put Marv/Jonas on right and switch benny to left see how that worked. might happen one day. Hm.

• 158 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I still think if we can keep Vuckic fit he will be one hell of a player

• 159 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Tinman

Yeah, I will be reading a lot more into the tactics/formation/style of play/quality/fitness based on tonight’s performance. If we have a shocker, or play exactly as we did last season, then I will be somewhat dreading the City game. Yes, it’s a pre-season friendly but it’s the last one and surely now is the time to play the team and tactics that we will be seeing throughout most of the season. Against stiff opposition, too.

It’ll be very interesting and telling to see who Pards gives the nod to tonight. Can’t wait! 2-1 to us

• 160 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

expatmag
    And to old for the TOON

• 161 kilcline // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

If i was in charge:

Go for:
    Demba Ba
    Gomis

Tom Ince
    Scott Sinclair
    Snodgrass
    Mcmananam

Job done you cockney kants.

• 162 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Ben Arfas best game for Newcastle v Everton
    Playing from the left!

• 163 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Thats the wrong Everton game!

This is it. Notice how much thinner he looks as well…

• 164 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

POKAT

I am not really pessimistic about the game to be honest. I think we could catch City short with new management, new players settling in, Aguerro apparently lacking fitness and the fact that we are not a bad side at all.

The back 4 I selected is strong and can be organised and protected with Sissoko and Tiote just in front. Sissoko could take care of Toure and whilst we would have to give up a certain amount of [possession, I think if Colo and co as well as Cabaye could use the pace of Gouffran and Ben Arfa on the break, we have the capability to surprise a few people here.

• 165 MrMojoRisin76 // Aug 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Tads
    I have to say.In my couple of years on this blog i haven’t seen 1 person on here,when involved in a discussion,say”Fair enough,i might have been wrong”,you deserve massive credit for that.

• 166 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Not expecting anything at City and a draw would be nice.

I don’t mind losing against clubs like City so long as we show some balls and go for it. Against City last year it was one of the most gutless performances from an NUFC side and we were beaten before kick off.

We have went for it one under Pardew, and that was against Man U when we got beat 4-3 at Old Trafford. Give me that over an ultra-defensive trouncing against City any day of the week :

• 167 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM

tinman@162

That decision by the ref when HBA was away still pains me to this day.

• 168 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Rowan, when he skins 5 players gets fouled by Fellainin, stays up, then gets fouled by Osmond. They were diving in at him all game because he simply couldn’t be stopped haha!

expat, BPC, have to agree with you two here. We definitely have a team capable of having a go at the big boys, yeah as you say we might get beat 4-3, 4-2 or worse, but at least we have a go. The big teams are so used to having teams just sit back against them that they actually are vulnerable to a team having a go. Of course this can backfire because most of them are dynamite on the counter.

• 169 Mister Tuff // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

expat – afternoon/evening -yes still on the bloody roof -just about to go up again.
    Hopefully tonight we might see a bit of what Percys’ intentions are in terms of a final team for the City game. I shudder at the prospect -there is a small chance of first game disorganisation by them -but I think we may be in for a stuffing -hope otherwise though.

• 170 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Brechin have just scored a great goal against Rangers! Probably the highlight of the scorers career, get in!

• 171 Graeme // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Evidently Eto’o would be prepared to take a substantial pay cut form his existing £350,000/ week!! JFK to the rescue lol

• 172 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

OK guys. It is written in the wind.

Here in Australia, the premiers from ;ast season, Sydney Swans were playing at home tonight against Collingwood (black and white stripes and nicknamed the Magpies) and Collingwood won by 29 points whilst being the total underdogs.

IT IS A SIGN, I TELL YOU, A SIGN

PS…………I hope Sydney Toon is reading this…..LOL.

• 173 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM

TINMAN

Yeah, watching it over here in Oz. Cracking goal. I am channel flicking between setanta sports and the cricket o fox sports

• 174 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM

TUFF

About time you got C up there, isn’t it?

• 175 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM

expat, I watched 5 mins of that. I watch all sports, NFL, NBA, Football, Rugby, Cricket T20, Snooker, Darts, but for the life of me, I just could not get into that game. Havent seen anything like it before.

• 176 valle // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Felipe… Yah I get what you mean, but still. HBA is unstopable if he is in the mood and would be perfect as an inside forward in my opinion. I agree that he dosnt go to the byline to send in crosses much, but he dosnt have to, he is not that kind of wing player… Anyways, we dont really have anyone to beat defenders in the box for headers as it is, so just as well.

• 177 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM

That Etoo rumour is ridiculous. Would obviously be a decent signing but he is 32. I give it a 0.1% chance of happening…

• 178 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

TINMAN

It is a good game but the rules take a bit of time to get to understand. I took my mate from Low Fell to the MCG in March when he was here on holiday to see Collingwood play Carlton which is the equivalent here to the tyne wear derby. Nearly 100K in the ground and a fantastic atmosphere.It was a great game and the Magpies only just ran away with it in the ;ast 3 minutes.

My mate has become an instant fan since getting home….lol

• 179 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM

This new BTsport channel over here is showing a few games, I’ll probably have a go at getting to grips with it. I originally thought it was a cross between rugby and NFL but quickly realised it was totally unique.

• 180 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Tinman

Yes that too, but I’m actually talking about 3.27 of the first video you posted. Everton get a foul for… erm… well… you tell me. We were clearly going to score.

I can see so many reasons why the Eto’o thing won’t come off. Age, wages, would he even want to join us!?Why have we been offered him specifically? Still, a bit of excitement in an otherwise dull day (football-wise. The cricket is great!). Roll on 6.00…

• 181 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Hahahaa what a donkey that referee is

• 182 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I don’t suppose we have been offered him specifically. His agents will have circulated his availability to all prem teams and the local rag has tried to make a story out of it.

• 183 Yohan Kebab // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM

offered him in exchange for cisse,

• 184 Mister Tuff // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM

expat -I’ve learned my lesson there -many years ago -I suggested that I was shocked that she did not know how to service the car which meant I had to do it. She still thinks I was serious. Definite no go area.

• 185 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM

TINMAN

It is derived from Gaelic Football

• 186 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Lovely goal from Rangers now, who would have thought Scottish league 1 could be so interesting ;)

• 187 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM

TUFF

What, get her hands dirty! Not a chance.

Mine wont even empty the kitchen bins

• 188 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Etoo will take a big wage cut if he has too, he will know himself he has been living the highlife on 350k per week and will surely have such a big pile of money he won’t mind taking a wage cut to have ‘one last stab’ at a top league. Think he is more likely to go to a team in the champions league though.

• 189 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Felipe

Ah right, that would make a lot of sense. Any story to highlight our frustrations in the transfer market will have at least an ounce of credibility and readability; any story that involves Kinnear will attract interest (‘Kinnear-Has-Eggs-For-Breakfast’ would get a few people talking).

Tinman

Yup, bound to go to a CL team that can afford to have him as an expensive other option or a glorified shirt-seller. I wonder how many Eto’o NUFC shirts would sell…

• 190 expatmag // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM

ROWAN

I wonder whether JFK will be there tonight.

If not, he might be away signing someone…………hopefully

• 191 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Rowan, I would buy one! Ha. Selling out to the SD propaganda train

• 192 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM

expat, he’ll be there so that he can walk out on to the pitch with Remy and pretend some of the applause is for him ;)

• 193 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM

looking forward to tonight’s game, finally on firstrow, virgin tried to block this site because they wanted me to pay extra £ just to watch the games once or twice a month on sky sports, HAHA f ou virgin iv’e unblocked it now woohoo.

• 194 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM

virgin tried to block firstrow sports on my broadband and tried to convince me to buy there sports channel on my tivo, ha the mugs why should i pay more £ to them for only 1 or 2 games a month on sky sports, Muppet’s.

any way i’m looking forward to tonight’s game any predictions guys on results?

i’ll say 2-2

• 195 Sydney Toon // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Expat

Haha yes I saw the Swans lose!! I actually support West Coast but way more a Rugby League fan! Bulldogs to be exact!

I think we will get a 1-1 draw with City, always optimistic. I think Braga will tell us exactly where we are.

• 196 Toonfan8 // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM

PEA just scored for Dortmund, header, he has so much pace…great player..

• 197 Sazzer // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Pea scores…

• 198 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM

expatmag

I hope not mate. He should be using every minute of every hour of every day to line up some signings. Given the fact he’s already got his hands full with solving 3rd world debt, curing cancer and brainstorming NASA’s first manned mission to Mars I’d say he was too busy to attend football matches. Though Timan’s probably right…

Black and White with an army lol

2-1 to NUFC. Cisse and Gouffran to score. Pardew’s out there cutting the grass as we speak ;) Ah that’s harsh, it did look too long to be fair.

• 199 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Toon win 2-1, take confidence into City game and draw 1-1! Optimism!

• 200 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Rowan @101
    problems problems over here.

• 201 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Rowan Milsted

lol :)

• 202 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Apparently PEA is quicker than Bolt over 30 meters according to Dortmund’s training staff.

• 203 Fostino // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM

anyone got a stream for the city vs arsenal match which just kicked off

• 204 Mister Tuff // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM

toonfan/sazzer -ref PEA – I was reading an article a couple of days ago when Dortmund were playing -cannot remember who the opposition was but they won 4 -2. PEA came on with 20 mins to go. Missed an easy chance and set one up. He did chase down the keeper from an impossible distance, surprising the keeper. Reports after the game remarked on his speed and references to the speed of a cheetah were quoted. Damn if only.

• 205 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Rowan @ 101
    Apologies for the delay
    Feyenoord V FC Twente 11 Aug. @ 02.30 (2.30pm ?)
    as in the football oranje.com

• 206 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Sounds like Simmo has settled well at QPR, couple of fans i know saying best signing they’ve made for years!

• 207 Toonfan8 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM

he should be in Newcastle, fantastic player…PEA and Remy upfront :D :D devastating pace both

• 208 ToonDownSouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM

tads

That’s because he’s a good player. The “Simpson is non league quality” crew are a bunch of muppets.

He seriously lacks offensively, which is why when we were 5th in the league he looked like a liability – but on year later when we’re looking at surviving in the PL, he doesn’t look so bad now.

• 209 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM

TDS
    No argument here mate, still can’t understand the logic in not offering a better contract to the lad tbh

• 210 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Sorry but having a couple of good games for QPR, arguably the best team in the championship, does not suddenly make Simpson a PL quality player.
    They had Bosingwa there for the back end of last season, no wonder they think he is great.

• 211 ToonDownSouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM

tads

How are you feeling about this season mate? I’m seriously pescemistic :( Watching teams like Swansea, Southampton, even Sunderland in preseason and it feels like we’re just being left behind.

Hopefully Pardew will surprise us, but the evidence doesn’t support that hope ;)

It’s just depressing to know that a little over 12 months ago we were streets ahead of Liverpool on the playing side of things, and now they’re looking bloody good (Suarez saga aside) and I’d be surprised if they didn’t mount a top 4 challenge this season.

• 212 Do the shaka hislop // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

For 5mil and 60k a week id snap your hand off for eto’o. I mean christ we were actually arguing good points to bents appointment last week. This lad could still do a job in the prem, I was sh@tting my duds when he was within 20yards of our goal last season!

Howay joe, get this one snapped up, and ask about traore while ya on, get a two for one in thw bargain copter!

• 213 JackButler // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I jut hope that Debuchy has settled, otherwise allowing Simpson to leave will have been another poor decision

• 214 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

TDS

from what I’ve seen of debuchy so far I’d rather Simpson at RB, he’s been ineffective going forward and dire at the back, at least simmo was reliable at the back. Hope he improves this season.

• 215 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Also

Etoo will go to Asia or somewhere willing to pay a fraction of his wages, we would cut about 85 per cent of his wages with him being 32. Drogba type move, Mark me lads.

• 216 aidytoon9 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Afternoon people.

Hope pardew puts the team out tonight that includes mapou, marv, Anita.

Why people say lets play jonas because he can defend I don’t understand as that’s going into a game afraid of them instead of ( hey lets go out and smash them) as on any given day in the prem anyone can beat anyone.

And by the way jonas, saylor are not good enough. End of.

• 217 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM

BPC, its rubbish, PEA is already moving before the clock starts, Bolt is from standing start.

• 218 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Do the shaka
    Do you not worry that Eto would be another Kluivert all over again ??.
    Marque signing yes definitely but Eto, Not to sure on that one mate.Imo though we defo need some players in before the transfer window shuts as I feel our squad is still lightweight.

• 219 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Aidytoon

Oh well if you say Taylor and Jonas aren’t good enough and that’s the end of I guess you must be right.

• 220 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM

TDS
    Ummm yeah not feeling great about the upcoming season tbh, a bit better for having remy (hopefully) on board for the campaign!

I just can’t believe how we stood still after finishing 5th
    We had a real chance to kick on, but we stood still and suddenly Europe became a hindrance rather than a privilege

For me the most alarming thing is the sudden drop in our ambition, at one stage our board were talking about being regulars in Europe and even trying to break into the CL, now survival and top 10
    Not even just our league ambitions but are targets in the market as well, look at the calibre of players we were bidding for, now it’s bent and gomis and we don’t seem to have many choices past that!

On pardew, I would KK style love it if he proved the doubters wrong and we rocketed up the table with passionate attacking displays, but that has yet to be seen :(
    I think this summer a major shake up was in order, sadly this also hasn’t happened
    Would like to of seen a larger and improved coaching staff, the appointment of the fitness guru was a good step but we shouldn’t have stopped there
    A young hungry manager, like an Eddie Howe or someone would of been great to bring as pardews assistant

Realistically going into the season with no width yet added or any real quality in depth, whilst releasing and selling are “go to” guys like Simmo and perch I see us around 12th……

• 221 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

How do people think anelka will do a wba? I imagine it will be unanimously decided

• 222 toon kk // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

If alot of our players went to other clubs they would shine and do really well. Due to our Poor training and Pardews tactics we aren’t getting the full potential out of them.

• 223 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I think jonas’s days at LW should be numbered, but that’s not say he should be done with

I’ve been impressed with wor guti when he’s played in central midfield and he even had a couple of games at RW we he looked a new player
    Would defo keep jonas

• 224 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

tads, our go to guys, I look forwards to seeing Haidara, Dummet and Bigirimana making you embarrassed you even said that

• 225 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Tads

Deffo agree pards needs a better right hand than carver, I wouldn’t sack him though… he fights who he wants.

• 226 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

tads, agree with you on Jonas, think he looked decent in CM in a couple of games he played there. Seem to remember he was pretty good in there against Anzhi, nice cool head on his shoulders and can play the easy pass with either feet.

• 227 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Tads
    Couldn’t have put it better myself pal.
    How optimistic we all were at the beginning of the summer transfer window with the likes of Pea and De jong-Sackho and the likes. Now we all seem to be settling for players that no one else is interesting in.
    I wish Nufc had ambition to give us all a lift for the season, But hey there is still is time yet lads-Chin up

• 228 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Tinman
    So you think the club will keep both haidara and dummett? And which one of them is the natural RB again?
    Bigi is a cracking player mate but he featured with perch not instead of
    Would like to think Anita this season but time will tell

And why would I be embarrassed exactly?

• 229 aidytoon9 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Krul

Debs. Mapou. Colo. santon
    Anita
    Benny. Sissoko. Cabs. Marv/guffy

Cisse

• 230 Pokat // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Probs the reason for the shift in emphasis from europa to mid table mediocrity is to do with the change in the financial goalposts this year? MA I dont think really cares about NUFC heading for glory days again, its the balance sheet that concerns him – as much brand placement as possible for SD and then a profitable sale when it starts to bog down. I dont think he hates us, he’s just dispassionate. C’est la vie.

Think I will pop up the Toon and have a look in tonight for £15. Better than whats on the telly.

• 231 Toonfan8 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM

PEA second :D

• 232 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Unfortunately I don’t see us attracting many marquee signings where we are atm, as every fan will probably agree the time for that was last summer.

Bet a few of the worldies would have been tempted then.

• 233 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

All it proves is that Simmo is a Championship player after all!

Personally I think Carver needs a better manager ;-) he seem to do alright along side SBR!

• 234 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Tinman
    On dummett, I actually think this lad could be the best prospect we have at the academy, I think the lad looks fantastic!
    But we’ve had a depth reversal, we’ve gone from no LB’s to no RB’s!
    Hopefully the squad depth will look a hell of a lot better if the likes of gosling and vuckic can stay fit, but lets be honest that’s a big if!

• 235 JackButler // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM

This is a massive season for Pardew, we do not have the Europa League to contend with and so we are able to completely focus on the league and having a decent cup run.

With the squad we have we have to be top 10 or this season will be another failure

• 236 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

tads,
    Dummet has played games at RB.
    Anita can play RB.
    Gosling can play RB.
    Mbiwa can play RB.
    Santon can play RB.
    Gosling, Anita, Bigirimana and Mbiwa can all play CDM.

I said that referring to how easily they will slot in to those vacant positions left by Perch and Simpson. I was not being literal when I said embarrassed.

• 237 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Sean
    Agree mate, our appeal will of plummeted after last season and the media circus that’s followed us this pre season

• 238 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

The last decent game I seen Gutti have last season was against benfica when he looked like his old self.
    But as for CM position we have plenty of stock above this guy to even consider playing him there

• 239 Pokat // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM

We just need a few of our world cup hopefuls to step up to the plate this season. It could be done with the right motivator(s).

• 240 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I agree on Dummet, I remember the game agaisnt Brighton he and Bigirimana were the only two players who looked any good!

• 241 aidytoon9 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Jack butler
    I think even if we finish top 10 that should be looked at as a failure to as we have only lost deem a from the team that finished 5th.

That is not including Simpson,harper,perch etc.

• 242 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Tinman
    It’s okay mate, I’d love to be embarrassed and have the squad slot in nicely!!

• 243 SeanNufc87 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Tads

Aye, I honestly think Ashley is kicking himself over it, either that or that’s why lambeezee got kicked? Bad advice maybe?

• 244 JackButler // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM

aidytoon9

Our 5th place finish was help massively by other clubs having poor seasons, we finished above Liverpool and Spurs who have both improved on a massive scale.

The top six is already sewn up imo so the best we could hope for is 7th and we will be battling for that with Everton, West Ham and Swansea

• 245 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM

If we can stay away from some injuries this season then we will have a good chance. But if we have the usual repeated niggles and long term injuries to key players then we will struggle. One of the reasons we did so well when we were 5th was because the team was so stable, it was rarely changed because we were more fortunate with injuries than we have been.

• 246 toon kk // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I’m not sure if we’ll be signing any more players in this transfer window, I think MA is very reluctant to spend he has changed his ideas for the club, meaning as long as we’re in the premier league that’s all what matters. He will spend in January if he has to. People blame JFK but Mashley pulls the strings.

• 247 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I predict Swansea will be battling relegation what with having to play on a Thursday and a Sunday ;-)

• 248 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Pretty sure we’ll sign another forward and a centre half…
    I think CH is the other area JFK referred to. He didn’t like the look of Douglas but is obviously aware we were looking to improve in that area. Willo has done a good job for us but we can do better…

• 249 Jamiemac // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Aubameyang has a hattrick in his first league game

• 250 aidytoon9 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Jack butler

I wouldn’t say when we finished 5th was massively helped because others had poor seasons I just think we had a good season. I agree that both Liverpool and spurs have improved though.
    Nothing is sewn up, a couple of good signings and people’s expectations will change.

• 251 Rowan Milsted // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

JackButler

Massively agree. I’d actually settle for 10th (though I’d hardly be dancing down the street with joy) if we play with a recognisable and effective style, play to the strengths of our players and make quality additions next summer. If we do all that I’ll be happy enough as it will show that we are progressing.

I know 10th is hardly dreamland but with teams like Everton, Liverpool, Swansea, West Brom, Saints and Spurs all showing big signs of improvement in the last 1, 2 or 3 seasons, plus the ‘recognised’ top 4, a top 10 finish is actually extremely competitive. I think the difference between 6th and 10th could be a matter of 3 or 4 points this season.

nut meg

Cheers anyway mate, better late than never! Serves me right for being lazy and not looking myself.

• 252 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Felipe, I think we need a Striker, Winger and Centre Back, in that order.

• 253 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

@Jack
    We finished below Spurs but above Chelsea. But point taken… Hopefully they’ll all struggle again

• 254 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Sean
    Sadly for me that was another poor bit of business
    Not sacking/moving on dekka, the mans a snake, but the timing
    Why wait until the summer? And why appoint JFK so long after the end of the season?
    Surely he should of appointed his choice of DOF in early feb if he was unhappy with lambreezy?
    That way he would of had months to scout targets, get deals in place etc and maybe even share the wealth of his “football knowledge” with pardew whilst we were painfully floundering around at the wrong end of the table?

I’m really not sure what Ashley actually wants for this club

• 255 toon kk // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Felipe@245
    I disagree I think Swansea will do ok this season, there a fit squad with good players and play grate passing football. We could learn alot from them.

• 256 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Can’t see us buying a winger unless we move Obertan out. He certainly has disappointed so you never know.

• 257 JackButler // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM

aidytoon9

Not taking away from what we did that season but by their standards both Liverpool and Spurs slipped up though we still had to win our games.

With Bale spurs can mount a serious challenge for the top four while the ankle biter at Liverpool has caused a serious issue for Rodgers

• 258 nut meg // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Rowan
    I tried a dozen times to send the link,i cut & pasted it but it wouldn’t send it.I thought I was having a very very long senior moment.lol I will try to get a stream tomorrow cos i want to see Dusan Tadic play,only seen him on you tube but my ,he looks very impressive.

• 259 JackButler // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Damn it Chelsea not Spurs :(

• 260 aidytoon9 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Jack butler
    Fair point but none of them 2 will play this season. Lol.

• 261 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM

@toon kk
    Just about every other team who have played Thursday/sunday have struggled but hey you could be right. Swansea may be the exception…

• 262 JackButler // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

aidytoon9

But if they both do actually leave, Spur’s will have £85 million plus to spend and Liverpool will have £40 million plus to spend and unlike us they both replace players as they are leaving and don’t wait 6-12 months

• 263 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM

tads, I think Ashley wants us to be consistently top 10, whilst qualifying for Europa League every 2 or 3 seasons. He wants to do this by investing in youth and unrecognised players, bringing them on and selling them for a profit. Some of which will be used to cover the cost of the next batch of recruits, some of which will be used to cancel out the ‘loan’.

I honestly expect Mbiwa, Gouffran, Sissoko, Debuchy to way way better this season. They were thrown in at the deep end, will be learning the language now and hopefully should be more settled.
    If we can keep key players fit then I predict a good season, finishing top 8. Possibly sneaking into Europa.

• 264 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM

toonkk, I think Felipes comment was tongue in cheek…
    Felipe, pretty sure Obertoon will be shifted

• 265 Toonfan8 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM

PEA first competitive match for Dortmund and he got hattrick….

• 266 aidytoon9 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM

That’s a fair point like Ashley did when we got 35 mil for Carroll ha ha.

• 267 Felipe // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Yes, think Obertan has had his chance…

• 268 aidytoon9 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Tinman

We have the players to finish top 8 or better if pardew uses the right players.

• 269 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM

JackButler, Liverfool wasted their money last time, who says they wont again! They have made some shocking signings recently, either player quality or the price they paid.

• 270 ToonAndy // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM

What u think about this formation?

———————KRUL—————

———–COLLO——–MBIWA—–

DEBUCHY——————-SANTON

——————-SISSOKO————–

———CABAYE—–MARVEAUX–

——————-BENNY—————-

————CISSE———-REMY——-

• 271 JackButler // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Tinman

All of the poor signings they made came under Dogleah’s reign, Rodger’s has made some very good signings so far and Liverpool have learnt their lesson about over paying for players as all of them have come back to bite them (no pun intended) :D

• 272 Blubber tits // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I see that ‘awful footballer’ (according to Ruddy and his crummy knowledge of football), has scored 1 and assisted 2 against Man City.

• 273 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

JackButler, yeah your right to be fair. Still love to have a laugh at some of the drosh they signed!

• 274 JackButler // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Dogleash spent over 90 million and actually managed to take them backwards :D Even Pardew would struggle to match that.

We have the 7th best squad in the league imo as we stand today and thats why Pardew is under a massive amount of pressure to ensure we don’t put up a showing like last seasons debacle.

• 275 stan anderson // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

TOON ANDY,that looks good to me but dont be suprised if Pardew dont play it unless Shola moves on,haha.

• 276 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

ToonAndy, its not bad, I would worry it lacks too much width though.
    I would play a 4-3-3 personally.

• 277 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Yep JB, think your about right, we have a very good squad. Management is my biggest worry. Our midfield is definitely our strongest point, we really should be dominating more games.

• 278 aidytoon9 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Hoping for a good performance tonight and a 3-0 win to set us up for citeh.

Cisse, benny, sissoko.

• 279 toon kk // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM

You would think MA would think hey were nearly relegated last season so we better make sure we don’t get anywhere near that position again.
    Because tbh we were very lucky not to go down, we played the worst football in the premier league. BA kept us up before he left with his goals. But still penny pinching is Mashleys way forward.

• 280 JackButler // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Tinman

Pardew has nowhere to hide this season, we have no ‘distractions’ so we can fully focus on the league, I’ve slated him for months and I think he should have been sacked a long time ago but I’d love for him to prove me and others wrong by getting us playing good football and winning games as to be honest I don’t care who the manager is as long as we play good football and win games

• 281 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM

————Krul————-
    Deb—-Col—-Mbi—-San
    —–Ani—Cab—Sis——
    –Rem—–Cis——Ben–

Midfield 3 given right to roam, one sits back, two go forwards, always changing keeping opponents guessing, all have intelligence and ability to do so.
    Debuchy and Santon taking turns at flying forwards, hugging touchline.
    Remy and Ben Arfa supporting Cisse, running channels, looking to latch onto flick ons, swaping wings whenever necessary, popping up at backpost when crosses come in from opposite flank.
    Cisse gets ball into feet, drops it off to other players, always poaching.

• 282 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM

JackButler, I was slating Pardew from around about November if I remember correctly. As you say though, I would love him to get us going, he has real genuine passion. Some of his celebrations are brilliant. Although I remain pessimistic that he won’t have the ability to get us winning games…

• 283 AaranD // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Good win tonight is a must I feel. The confidence boost would do us the world of good going into the City game, who are still a little iffy at the moment.

Transfer wise, Sinclair or that type of player is a must. We lack serious width. If we fail with the Gomis saga I feel taking a punt on one of the big teams youngish strikers would be a good move. Some one like John Guidetti of City who has something to prove in the PL having never got a real chance with City and doubt he will given the signings.

• 284 AaranD // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Tinman 278.

I would love it if we set up like that. But I feel Pardew doesn’t have the balls or the tactical understanding to pull it off. A lot of work in the training ground has to be put in but we have the perfect team to play that way!

• 285 aidytoon9 // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM

AaranD

Agree as Sinclair/ince is a must and would love a young striker to come in also.

• 286 Fostino // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM

watched city play. they looked ok. yaya was standout and negredo was lively but apart from that..nothing too major. bear in mind no aggro playing but a 3-1 loss certainly gives me hope. was great to see arsenals goals and see plaers like walcott, wilshire, chamberlin, cazola, arteta etc playing great football

it reminds me of players like marv, anita, who cant get into our team..great technical players..instead we stick with the old horse jonas and out of form tiote

• 287 Sazzer // Aug 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Tuff it was against Bayern in the Super cup. 3 goals 1 assist so far more to come when Mkitariyan gets fit.

• 288 Tinman // Aug 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

AaranD, Guidetti is a good shout. Possibly by buying him and Sinclair some sort of bundle deal could be arranged, Ashley loves a bargain ;)!

Glad you agree on the lineup, think it works perfectly with our squad. Would be great to watch.

• 289 AaranD // Aug 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

£8-10 million for both is very good business, in my opinion :D. £5 million quoted for Sinclair and I know Guidetti is highly thought of at City so I don’t know how much they’d ask for him or if they’d even sell him, but £3-5 million is a very good offer.

Yeah, could easily play that at home bring some sort of the entertainers back to St James’s :). When we are away we can play more solid formations. We have a team which is much more than the one dimensional team of last year, just needs to utilised right.

• 290 The puppy formerly known as prince // Aug 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM

To be fair Jonas was one our better players against Rangers and Ameobi has been scoring so IMO they’ve probably just about justified a starting place. That said he’d foolish if he doesn’t change it around at half time.

previous post: Much Better News On Newcastle Striker