The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Withdraw Their Offer For Bafe Gomis

5:14 pm, Monday, August 12th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 85 Comments

It seems Newcastle may have withdrawn their offer for Lyon’s Bafetimbi Gomis, since the Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas has said on the club’s web site there are no current offers on the table for his French International striker.

bafetimbi gomis shooting

Bafe Gomis – Newcastle pull their bid

The transfer of Gomis to the Magpies had been held up for well over a week by his agents wanting excessive fees as part of the transfer and it seems that neither side has budged from that position.

We don’t fault Newcastle for doing this – and the club has stuck by its principles.

Presumably Newcastle will now look elsewhere, and in fact Joe Kinnear was reported to be in Belgium last night checking on one of Newcastle’s striker targets.

This is what Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas said on the club’s official website today.

“We have to be humble, I’m ready to make myself available to discuss the situation with Bafetimbi,” “There are no offers currently on the table”

“I think we both need to swallow our pride, myself being the first.” “But there are no offers currently on the table.” “Bafetimbi needs to play football.”

“I believe it would be a mistake to stay entrenched in our current positions. We have to work with his agent to find an amicable resolution that will see him happy to stay at Lyon.”

So once again greedy agents have stopped a decent deal from going through, and UEFA must get to terms with how these people are damaging the game.

It’s still possible that Newcastle could get Gomis to Tyneside, but not if they have to pay the high fees requested by his agents.

And now we’ll see if Lyon can do a deal for their striker, and it will be interesting to know what fees they will requesting from Lyon for his potential new contract to stay at Lyon beyond next summer.

Of course Bafe may stand firm and not sign a new deal and become a free agent next summer, and Newcastle would be favored to get him at that time..

This is not particularly good news for Newcastle, and we still need one striker at the very minimum brought in over the next three weeks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

85 responses so far ↓

• 1 Wandering Geordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM

That’s life

• 2 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM

from previous post

@ Jackie 1001

I hope thats true hes a really promising player. I would much rather have Vossen than Gomis for the same price.

I write articles for whatculture and vossen was part of an article i have been writing about players around europe that should be snapped up by PL sides.

I really hope thats true!

• 3 G // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM

to be honest, this is probably for the best. Given Gomis lack of pace, and his notion to walk round the pitch, rather than run into space, I have a feeling our fans would never take to him.

• 4 Greebol1892 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Good news – we cannot let agents hold us to ransom.
    Would have liked to see Gomis at the Toon and I think there’s a chance for him in January. Or a last-minute concession by his agents could still see him come in before deadline.

• 5 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:23 PM

cjtoon

Nope, Gomis and Bent don’t excite me too much but either of them could have done a job.

Bony cost £12M which is perhaps more than we wanted to spend on a unproven PL player who would also be going to the African Cup of Nations in 2015.

Your list has several players that I really don’t think are good enough for us and the rest are mostly entirely unproven in the Prem. You say that Gomis and Bent aren’t good enough but list Austin and Drenthe who went to the championship and Hooper who very nearly did??

I would imagine we looked into signing some of those and decided not to. I’m happy with that. If Carr felt that Gomis was the best option, then we were right to keep pushing for him rather than make an early move on someone he didn’t think was as good. I really don’t think we can be bothered about many of these other signings.

I also think that many people’s views on players are coloured by what they see in Championship Manager and also from too much looking at stats.

For me it’s simple…I want to see us sign another striker and I trust the club to bring in a good player. Look at our transfer record in recent seasons, the positives far outweigh the negatives!

Right…back to some more work…

• 6 Newcastle Brown Alien // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM

If we don’t have at least one more striker by the end of the window, and he is still at lyon say €8m take it or sell him for half that in January.

• 7 ToonJovi // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Gd news in my opinion! Why pay over the odds? He’s 28! Not currently on gd enough form to be making the French national squad as far as I’m aware, another one with bloody gang rape scandal investigation in his past…. We should have spent a few more quid and got Bony! Or even Wolfswinkel…. Wouldn’t even have minded Hooper at 5 million….

• 8 ToonJovi // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Not to even mention that we could sign him on a free in less than 12 months!

• 9 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Agents are a law unto themselves, as long are they are registered they are free to act and ask for whatever fee they want. It about time that FIFA and UEFA brought a set percentage into place that way everyone knows exactly where they stand and this will then stop agents holding up one deal in the hope of making more money off another that they always try to manipulate

• 10 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM

If the Jelle Vossen rumor is right, I think that’s going to be a very good news. This guy’s scoring ratio is not bad although we are talking about he Belgian League. 1 goals in 2 matches.

• 11 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Would anyone take Yoann Gourcuff?

• 12 NotEvenGeordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I’d like gomis, I’ve been a fan for a while, but even I thought the money being talked about for him was a bit steep, he’s 28 now after all. I’m sure there’s younger and equally as good players on the ‘b list’ for that sort of money.

• 13 Pokat // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Lets face it, it will be a while before we know if its those dastardly agents or Aulas himself trying out the brinkmanship. personally I would lean to the Aulas thing. 5% 0f something is better than 7% of nought. Plus an agent who cacks up a deal like this will soon be an ex-agent. That leaves Aulas trying to go head to head with a seasoned horse-trader like Ashley who knows when to pull the plug. Perhaps this could be seen as a good thing, you should stick to your guns if you want people to know that Final Offer means just that. Ho hum and all that.

Read the Guardian article. Its OK but not all that. You have to remember that blog aggregation is one of the tools of a journalist who needs to sell papers for the boss. A lot of the stuff in there was sketchy opinion drafted in, i.e. the stuff about sissoko v tiote.

• 14 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Kets, I wouldn’t think so. I don’t wanna do business with Lyon again.

• 15 Shearer.Milburn // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Maybe kinnear can take a look elsewhere now… so much talent elswhere like germany or holland.

• 16 Tommyy // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I’m annoyed at this entire situation, we have now spent over a month focusing on this transfer for absolutely nothing! We need a striker and a proper winger minimum. Only then will I feel like we are ready. I’d even be inclined to cut Pardew some slack, even though I think he’s an awful manager. Even he deserves a full squad however.

• 17 NotEvenGeordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Toonjovi
    Gomis isn’t good enough but you’d take hooper? Gomis has hit 14+ goals in each of the last 3 seasons, hooper played in Scotland, and quite frankly if you don’t hit 30+ goals playing for Celtic you should be ashamed to be called a striker.

• 18 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Jelle Vossen in Belgium, if the rumor is true, is going to be a better version and will last longer. Haven’t seen him play, but please take a look and tell us what you think!

• 19 89Norcal // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

this is what happens when football agents want to live like their clients

• 20 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

It was reported that Gomis agent wanted in excess of 800K to do the deal so we would have been paying close to £10 million for a player that is 28 and only has a year left on his contract which would have been pure madness

• 21 USAGEORDIE // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Loads of young talent in the Belgium league. Matias Suarez, Vossen, two strikers under 25 who could be strikers in the EPL. Bruno, Lestienne, Praet all attakers under 20 who are great future players.

• 22 sa80teur // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I think you are dreaming, Jack. Agents charge whatever they feel the market will hold. I personally feel the players are highly culpable for this situation.

Also, we’ve heard nothing from the player regarding the negotiations, just Aulas who is not an objective party in this.

• 23 geordie1892 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

A target man type player is exactly what we need, Shola is not really up to standard imo despite being a good servant and scorer of some important goals. We are a bit lightweight upfront and do lack a physical presence to attack crosses and hold the ball up to bring in other players. I’m hoping we can get a player with these qualities ‘over the line.

• 24 Themesh // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM

does anyone know how to buy the special kit they used on saturday? keep hearing its for members which i am but nothing on the nufc shop website

• 25 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM

sa80teur

Dreaming why?

Because I think that all agents should be regelated

• 26 Santon03 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Hi guys

I don’t quite understand how things work between agents and players. So if the players want to join a club and agents can ask any amount they want, that mean they just don’t care about the persons the represent and the players don’t have any power over their agents?
    From my point of view the players should have the power over their agents since they are the boss, if not then they are just like commodities and the agents are the traders.

• 27 NotEvenGeordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Just a thought about something a few people were saying earlier, about other teams strengthening and becoming stronger than us, teams like Southampton and Norwich were mentioned. Although they have undoubtedly got stronger, are they better than us? Would you pick their squad over ours? Maybe the odd individual but not many surely? Although we haven’t bought anyone yet, we’re a much stronger team than many of you give us credit for.

• 28 Santon03 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM

agents = mafia?

• 29 Wandering Geordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Id love to see German Pezzella at the Toon. Quality defender at River Plate and also plays for Argentina and only 22

• 30 NotEvenGeordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Themesh
    It’s a members only shirt, but there is a version available to non members, without the wonga logo, which some people will prefer anyway. Apparently available online but I don’t know for sure

• 31 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM

NotEvenGeordie

It’s more to do with the fact that Norwich, Southampton and Swansea are showing far more ambition that us, they are using the additional tv revenue to strengthen their squads whereas we are standing still

• 32 Sazzer // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I loved the video in the Guardian link cause it’s not as bad as some say it is, at the same time it’s not the best thing either.

And on the article why should we be optimistic about 12 th place season?

• 33 aidytoon9 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

It’s not the end of the world if Gomis doesn’t sign as Remy a better choice.And the money for a 28 year old is a little steep as he is not top notch.
    Remember though that agents work for players, so if Gomis really wanted to come it could have been sorted I am sure.

I would like to see a 23 or 24 year old who can play at our club for the next 8 year and move us forward.

• 34 OhSholaAmeobi // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

The belgian striker we were supposed to be looking at is 19 year old michy batshuayi…

• 35 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Lacina Traore available for around 7 million according to some reports

• 36 Santon03 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

as far as I can understand the chain should be:
    1. the club (they pay the players wages)
    2. the players (they pay the agents wages)
    3. the agents

Things seem to be:
    1. the agents
    2. the clubs
    3. the players

• 37 masterp1983 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Would anyone take Defoe for 6m?! I defo would. That’s what qpr have been told to pay for him

• 38 Sazzer // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM

• 39 NotEvenGeordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Jackbutler
    I agree in that sense, it’s frustrating that we haven’t signed enough players as of yet, but still, our starting 11 is exceptional. Is not like we need 6 new players or anything, just a bit more strength. Would you swap Southamptons or norwichs squad for ours?

• 40 Themesh // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM

notevengeordie – thanks mate im a member but will have to just keep looking :)

• 41 sweendog // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Vossen or Batshuayi was being looked at .. I reckon batshuayi if who we might go for.

• 42 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM

NotEvenGeordie

We have one of the strongest squad we have had in years, we only need a striker and left winger and we are ready to face the season imo

• 43 NotEvenGeordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Never heard of either of these Belgian lads, which gets me excited. Whoever they are I trust Carr to have found some gems.

• 44 Ben3arfa // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM

We’re now into Kinnear’s B-List .. Lets see how ineffective he is this time the old trot

• 45 sweendog // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Batshuayi is a good striker but raw .. think he is 19 .. he’s cheap around 3/4 mill .. swansea were interested if you believe the papers..

• 46 NotEvenGeordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Jack butler
    Exactly, we’re in decent shape. I’d like jermain lens from psv, we were linked last year so I paid a bit more attention to him, an absolute rocket on the wing who keeps it simple, beats his man and delivers, he’s so quick and direct, he’d be perfect. As for a striker, a target man would be nice, someone we could cross to, not lump it to.

• 47 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:59 PM

We could sign Uche Nwofor and Lacina Traore for the same price as what Gomis would cost us

• 48 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Ben3arfa, I think it’s unfair to say that JFK is ineffective if you put the Gomis incident in the equation.

• 49 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM

JB, someone not African would be nicer because of the African Cup. No offense, but they won’t be available during the beginning of the year usually.

• 50 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I feel it is a bit naive to think that Newcastle would have only been negoiations for Gomis and no other strikers although Kinnear is in charge of transfers so I may be wrong. I think that they will now step up negoiations with whom ever was in the background, well this is how I hope we operate. Fingers in many pies as the expression goes. Whether this is the case who knows, surely the people in charge released that their was a strong possibility a deal wouldn;t be done and had backups.

• 51 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM

NotEvenGeordie

Lens would be a very good choice as would Scott Sinclair, they are similar players, both have great pace, are very direct, have a good final ball and can score the odd goal

• 52 geordie1892 // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM

What positions do people on here think we need to strenghen? I would say we need a target man, a winger who can get to the byline a whip in a decent ball and a right back who can at the very least provide competition to Debuchy.

JB – Traore would be an excellent addition to our squad.

• 53 aidytoon9 // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Scott Sinclair or Tom ince or both with a young forward then problem solved and would only spend about 20 mil.

• 54 check the toastie // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Cisse is brilliant, Remy has signed, Goofran is a striker, Marv and Benny could play number ten behind a striker, we have enough options to create and score goals, however the only way our manager knows how to get the ball up the pitch is to knock it long, and thus the persistent stupid use of Shola.

The problem is with the manager not the current squad.

Signings are irrelevant as long as Pardew stays.

Don’t think people quite get it………………

• 55 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Pizzicato

Begger can’t be choosers mate :D Nwofor is a very raw talent and a real handful of a player, great pace and technical ability.

The only reason I put then both up was to show that the Gomis deal is not the best for the amount of money.

For me I’d take Nwofor who is said to be available for around 3 million euros and make a move for Scott Sinclair

• 56 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM

JToon21, JFK got the Remy deal done.

• 57 OhSholaAmeobi // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I think on paper we have a good squad but it’s all about cohesion and playing to each other’s strengths. That’s why teams like Southampton and Swansea play great football without superstars, which makes it obvious that if we had a better (more modern) manager we’d play better full stop.

• 58 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I’ve put this up a few time’s but for 3 million euro’s he’s worth every penny imo – Just watch the way he dumps our former target Douglas on his backside

• 59 check the toastie // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Just pleased we are not playing Man City until Monday, it gives us two days of not being bottom of the league.

• 60 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM

JB, yea raw talent is very attractive! Don’t get me wrong, but if there’s someone in Europe who has the same sort of talent, I’d take that person first.

For RB coverage, Anita and Mbabu are all good for now. Tav can also be part of the picture although he’s loaned away till the end of this month.

• 61 Shearer.Milburn // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM

That guardian video showed us for what we are… laughing stock of the league

• 62 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

@ Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie

And thats all he’s done.

• 63 OhSholaAmeobi // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM

pizzicato

tavernier is the worst defender i’ve ever seen. on par with bramble/boumsong/o’brien/cacapa etc.

• 64 aidytoon9 // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Haway the lads for Monday night!!!!
    Me looking forward to it as anything can happen in football.

Play marv on left and goofy up top with cisse.

• 65 check the toastie // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM

JB – The lad looks good, however what’s the point in getting a kid in to be Shola’s boot boy, that’s all he would be with Percy in charge.

JFK has the right idea, in that he is trying to get rid of players out of the club who Percy continues to pick even though they are not good enough. If Joe manages to rid the club of Shola this summer he will be hero worshipped by myself, that’s for sure. Next Jonas, then Tiote and then I wonder what Percy would come up with next for bizarre selections, I am thinking Stevie Taylor Centre midfield maybe??

• 66 BuckLuck // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM

JackButler

First time I’ve seen Nwofor but he looks like a class act on youtube at least.

Even though I don’t put Gomis in the PEA category it would be nice to give Pardew a strong man up top. I think Gomis would make the “Pardew hoof” more effective at least, but I also think there are better alternatives out there that doesn’t cost us £10m. In Carr I trust.

• 67 ToonAndy // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Lets hope we get someone soon boys cos ive been told I’m on Kinnears C list and I haven’t played for 10 years!

• 68 check the toastie // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

OhStrollaAmeoba – Tav hasn’t had a chance and I personally think he would do pretty good in a strong side, he always plays in a weakened team and is then used as a scapegoat, as most the youngsters are by Percy.

Tav is talented for sure but will never improve with our current manager in charge.

• 69 USAGEORDIE // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Traore is a freak at 6’8″ but will cost much more that 7m. We also would need someone who could cross the ball to him. Sinclair looks to be going to West brom and Ince’s price is very steep. We need an out and out winger.

• 70 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Nwofor who’s 21 for 2.5 million or Darren Bent for 6 million???

I know which way I’d be going if I were Joe Kinnear

• 71 JackButler // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

USAGEORDIE

Lacina Traoré is available for 9 million Euro’s as FC Anzhi Makhachkala are looking to get rid of just about everyone after their owner took a massive lost to his personal fortune

• 72 Oleg G // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Well, we will always have Jonas.

But seriously. How difficult it is to get players in?

I mean, we are not a club from no where, and we are well known, and we have connections and we have the resources, and we have a good base. I mean, what is the problem. We are not trying to bring world class players, just decent ones.

• 73 DevonToon // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:24 PM

NotEvenGeordie – lens has already moved this summer… kiev I think

• 74 aidytoon9 // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Joe said that he could pick up the phone and speak to any manager in the world. Lol.
    Would like a few young British players to come in now to even out the squad.

• 75 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM

The limited edition half black and white shirt can be pre-ordered online later this week to be released on 22nd, anyway I can use anyones membership number ?

• 76 USAGEORDIE // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM

@JackButer
    They want to get a ton of clubs interested so they can get a bidding war. That’s what their doing with Willian and Manchester city is said to have already bid 35m euros. Traore cost them over 20m a couple of years ago. They’ll want a large chunk of change for him.

• 77 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I am glad that we have decided to move on, but I really hope FIFA or UEFA will sort out these agents soon.

…the add absolutly nothing to football other than problems and they are only money orientated!

• 78 Sazzer // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Cjtoon
    Mostly good or sensible reasons why we didn’t sign those players. If we sign Ince instead of Redmond I won’t complain. Same goes with already signed Remy over Austin. Mbiwa over Okore.

Cornelius, Austin, chadli, hooper, campana, giaccherini, fer, deulofea, altidore, anelka, redmond, muniesa, pieters, amat, aspas, luis alberto, drenthe (championship!?), luna, bacuna, helenius, lovren, okore.

• 79 Rooster // Aug 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Get some fcuka signed JK what a load of old bollocks that Gomis situation was. wevebeen through this patter so many times and it does make mugs of us fans, are we in for the lad again in the winter, probably yawn yawn yawn. we cannot repeat last summers mistakes, to many of our current team look like they are treading water and ben arfa looks like a fat pig.

• 80 toonicle // Aug 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM

One more striker and a Winger is what’s needed.

• 81 toonluvva // Aug 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Check @65

Once JoKe has got shot of Tiote, Obertan & Jonas Pardew will just go to a no mid-field set up and just tell Saylor and Collo to play hoofball all match.

• 82 moonraker // Aug 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I cant believe we can get so far down the road with Gomis and offer £8million and still cant complete the deal if we want him to the tune of £8m then don’t give up on the deal get it done FFS what a bunch of losers we have running our great club.! Meanwhile the freakinn Mackems are signing players left right and centre! It really is pathetic and now the fat tosser is on the freakin TRAIN to Belgium! God give me strength !!!

• 83 moonraker // Aug 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM

JFK (“I can pick up the phone to any manager in the world”) is reportedly ON THE TRAIN to Belgium. I cant think of any other PL club that would have their man on the train ! hahahahahahahahaha it’s pathetic.

• 84 Minato // Aug 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I personally think we dodged a bullet on this one….on his day the man can be unplayable but having watched a lot of French football last season this comes too few and far between. Constantly offside and doesn’t take enough attempts at goal on….Hopefully we will stay well clear and push on for more targets….

• 85 shamsoftabriz // Aug 13, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Even if our signings are not optimal, we need 2 more competent players if only for purposes of depth. Why not take flyers on a 21-24 year old prospect or two and hope they blossom here?

previous post: This Slovenian Striker Could Be On Newcastle’s B List