Newcastle Withdraw Their Offer For Bafe Gomis

It seems Newcastle may have withdrawn their offer for Lyon’s Bafetimbi Gomis, since the Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas has said on the club’s web site there are no current offers on the table for his French International striker.

bafetimbi gomis shooting

Bafe Gomis – Newcastle pull their bid

The transfer of Gomis to the Magpies had been held up for well over a week by his agents wanting excessive fees as part of the transfer and it seems that neither side has budged from that position.

We don’t fault Newcastle for doing this – and the club has stuck by its principles.

Presumably Newcastle will now look elsewhere, and in fact Joe Kinnear was reported to be in Belgium last night checking on one of Newcastle’s striker targets.

This is what Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas said on the club’s official website today.

“We have to be humble, I’m ready to make myself available to discuss the situation with Bafetimbi,” “There are no offers currently on the table”

“I think we both need to swallow our pride, myself being the first.” “But there are no offers currently on the table.” “Bafetimbi needs to play football.”

“I believe it would be a mistake to stay entrenched in our current positions. We have to work with his agent to find an amicable resolution that will see him happy to stay at Lyon.”

So once again greedy agents have stopped a decent deal from going through, and UEFA must get to terms with how these people are damaging the game.

It’s still possible that Newcastle could get Gomis to Tyneside, but not if they have to pay the high fees requested by his agents.

And now we’ll see if Lyon can do a deal for their striker, and it will be interesting to know what fees they will requesting from Lyon for his potential new contract to stay at Lyon beyond next summer.

Of course Bafe may stand firm and not sign a new deal and become a free agent next summer, and Newcastle would be favored to get him at that time..

This is not particularly good news for Newcastle, and we still need one striker at the very minimum brought in over the next three weeks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Wandering Geordie

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM

That’s life

• cjtoon

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM

from previous post

@ Jackie 1001

I hope thats true hes a really promising player. I would much rather have Vossen than Gomis for the same price.

I write articles for whatculture and vossen was part of an article i have been writing about players around europe that should be snapped up by PL sides.

I really hope thats true!

• G

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM

to be honest, this is probably for the best. Given Gomis lack of pace, and his notion to walk round the pitch, rather than run into space, I have a feeling our fans would never take to him.

• Greebol1892

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Good news – we cannot let agents hold us to ransom.
    Would have liked to see Gomis at the Toon and I think there’s a chance for him in January. Or a last-minute concession by his agents could still see him come in before deadline.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:23 PM

cjtoon

Nope, Gomis and Bent don’t excite me too much but either of them could have done a job.

Bony cost £12M which is perhaps more than we wanted to spend on a unproven PL player who would also be going to the African Cup of Nations in 2015.

Your list has several players that I really don’t think are good enough for us and the rest are mostly entirely unproven in the Prem. You say that Gomis and Bent aren’t good enough but list Austin and Drenthe who went to the championship and Hooper who very nearly did??

I would imagine we looked into signing some of those and decided not to. I’m happy with that. If Carr felt that Gomis was the best option, then we were right to keep pushing for him rather than make an early move on someone he didn’t think was as good. I really don’t think we can be bothered about many of these other signings.

I also think that many people’s views on players are coloured by what they see in Championship Manager and also from too much looking at stats.

For me it’s simple…I want to see us sign another striker and I trust the club to bring in a good player. Look at our transfer record in recent seasons, the positives far outweigh the negatives!

Right…back to some more work…

• Newcastle Brown Alien

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM

If we don’t have at least one more striker by the end of the window, and he is still at lyon say €8m take it or sell him for half that in January.

• ToonJovi

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Gd news in my opinion! Why pay over the odds? He’s 28! Not currently on gd enough form to be making the French national squad as far as I’m aware, another one with bloody gang rape scandal investigation in his past…. We should have spent a few more quid and got Bony! Or even Wolfswinkel…. Wouldn’t even have minded Hooper at 5 million….

• ToonJovi

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Not to even mention that we could sign him on a free in less than 12 months!

• JackButler

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Agents are a law unto themselves, as long are they are registered they are free to act and ask for whatever fee they want. It about time that FIFA and UEFA brought a set percentage into place that way everyone knows exactly where they stand and this will then stop agents holding up one deal in the hope of making more money off another that they always try to manipulate

• Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM

If the Jelle Vossen rumor is right, I think that’s going to be a very good news. This guy’s scoring ratio is not bad although we are talking about he Belgian League. 1 goals in 2 matches.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Would anyone take Yoann Gourcuff?

• NotEvenGeordie

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I’d like gomis, I’ve been a fan for a while, but even I thought the money being talked about for him was a bit steep, he’s 28 now after all. I’m sure there’s younger and equally as good players on the ‘b list’ for that sort of money.

• Pokat

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Lets face it, it will be a while before we know if its those dastardly agents or Aulas himself trying out the brinkmanship. personally I would lean to the Aulas thing. 5% 0f something is better than 7% of nought. Plus an agent who cacks up a deal like this will soon be an ex-agent. That leaves Aulas trying to go head to head with a seasoned horse-trader like Ashley who knows when to pull the plug. Perhaps this could be seen as a good thing, you should stick to your guns if you want people to know that Final Offer means just that. Ho hum and all that.

Read the Guardian article. Its OK but not all that. You have to remember that blog aggregation is one of the tools of a journalist who needs to sell papers for the boss. A lot of the stuff in there was sketchy opinion drafted in, i.e. the stuff about sissoko v tiote.

• Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Kets, I wouldn’t think so. I don’t wanna do business with Lyon again.

• Shearer.Milburn

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Maybe kinnear can take a look elsewhere now… so much talent elswhere like germany or holland.

• Tommyy

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I’m annoyed at this entire situation, we have now spent over a month focusing on this transfer for absolutely nothing! We need a striker and a proper winger minimum. Only then will I feel like we are ready. I’d even be inclined to cut Pardew some slack, even though I think he’s an awful manager. Even he deserves a full squad however.

• NotEvenGeordie

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Toonjovi
    Gomis isn’t good enough but you’d take hooper? Gomis has hit 14+ goals in each of the last 3 seasons, hooper played in Scotland, and quite frankly if you don’t hit 30+ goals playing for Celtic you should be ashamed to be called a striker.

• Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Jelle Vossen in Belgium, if the rumor is true, is going to be a better version and will last longer. Haven’t seen him play, but please take a look and tell us what you think!

• 89Norcal

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

this is what happens when football agents want to live like their clients

• JackButler

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

It was reported that Gomis agent wanted in excess of 800K to do the deal so we would have been paying close to £10 million for a player that is 28 and only has a year left on his contract which would have been pure madness

• USAGEORDIE

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Loads of young talent in the Belgium league. Matias Suarez, Vossen, two strikers under 25 who could be strikers in the EPL. Bruno, Lestienne, Praet all attakers under 20 who are great future players.

• sa80teur

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I think you are dreaming, Jack. Agents charge whatever they feel the market will hold. I personally feel the players are highly culpable for this situation.

Also, we’ve heard nothing from the player regarding the negotiations, just Aulas who is not an objective party in this.

• geordie1892

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

A target man type player is exactly what we need, Shola is not really up to standard imo despite being a good servant and scorer of some important goals. We are a bit lightweight upfront and do lack a physical presence to attack crosses and hold the ball up to bring in other players. I’m hoping we can get a player with these qualities ‘over the line.

• Themesh

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM

does anyone know how to buy the special kit they used on saturday? keep hearing its for members which i am but nothing on the nufc shop website

• JackButler

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM

sa80teur

Dreaming why?

Because I think that all agents should be regelated

• Santon03

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Hi guys

I don’t quite understand how things work between agents and players. So if the players want to join a club and agents can ask any amount they want, that mean they just don’t care about the persons the represent and the players don’t have any power over their agents?
    From my point of view the players should have the power over their agents since they are the boss, if not then they are just like commodities and the agents are the traders.

• NotEvenGeordie

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Just a thought about something a few people were saying earlier, about other teams strengthening and becoming stronger than us, teams like Southampton and Norwich were mentioned. Although they have undoubtedly got stronger, are they better than us? Would you pick their squad over ours? Maybe the odd individual but not many surely? Although we haven’t bought anyone yet, we’re a much stronger team than many of you give us credit for.

• Santon03

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM

agents = mafia?

• Wandering Geordie

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Id love to see German Pezzella at the Toon. Quality defender at River Plate and also plays for Argentina and only 22

• NotEvenGeordie

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Themesh
    It’s a members only shirt, but there is a version available to non members, without the wonga logo, which some people will prefer anyway. Apparently available online but I don’t know for sure

• JackButler

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM

NotEvenGeordie

It’s more to do with the fact that Norwich, Southampton and Swansea are showing far more ambition that us, they are using the additional tv revenue to strengthen their squads whereas we are standing still

• Sazzer

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I loved the video in the Guardian link cause it’s not as bad as some say it is, at the same time it’s not the best thing either.

And on the article why should we be optimistic about 12 th place season?

• aidytoon9

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

It’s not the end of the world if Gomis doesn’t sign as Remy a better choice.And the money for a 28 year old is a little steep as he is not top notch.
    Remember though that agents work for players, so if Gomis really wanted to come it could have been sorted I am sure.

I would like to see a 23 or 24 year old who can play at our club for the next 8 year and move us forward.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

The belgian striker we were supposed to be looking at is 19 year old michy batshuayi…

• JackButler

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Lacina Traore available for around 7 million according to some reports

• Santon03

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

as far as I can understand the chain should be:
    1. the club (they pay the players wages)
    2. the players (they pay the agents wages)
    3. the agents

Things seem to be:
    1. the agents
    2. the clubs
    3. the players

• masterp1983

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Would anyone take Defoe for 6m?! I defo would. That’s what qpr have been told to pay for him

• NotEvenGeordie

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Jackbutler
    I agree in that sense, it’s frustrating that we haven’t signed enough players as of yet, but still, our starting 11 is exceptional. Is not like we need 6 new players or anything, just a bit more strength. Would you swap Southamptons or norwichs squad for ours?

• Themesh

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM

notevengeordie – thanks mate im a member but will have to just keep looking 🙂