This Slovenian Striker Could Be On Newcastle’s B List

With Joe Kinnear turning to his B list of strikers, we wonder who exactly is on the list, but this PSV striker, who we covered last month looks to be an excellent striker and could be a good buy for Newcastle.

Tim Matavz

Tim Matavž – 24 year-old Slovenian International striker

Tim Matavž is a 24 year-old 23 times capped Slovenian International striker (10 goals), who has played for two years at Dutch club PSV and has scored 40 goals in 80 appearances for the Dutch side.

Tim was born in Sempeter pri Gorici in the old Yugoslavia, and he started his career with Gorica at the age of six, and then moved to Gorica in 2004.

In 2007 at the age of 18, he signed a five-year deal at Dutch Club FC Groningen, and he played for them a total of 104 times with 49 goals, and while on loan at FC Emmen in 2008-2009, he scored 5 goals in 16 appearances.

In 2011 a number of top clubs were after the right-footed striker 6’2″ striker, including Napoli, but he was finally signed by PSV Eindhoven in August of 2011, and has since scored 40 goals in just 80 appearances for PSV, including 20 in 38 appearances last season.

Tim played for the Slovenian U19 and U21 sides and has 23 full caps with the full Slovenian side with 10 goals, after he made his debut back in 2009, when he was 20.

His record suggests he is a natural goalscorer, and in 236 total appearances in his career so far, he has scored 108 goals.

Here’s some video of the player.

We wonder is this lad is on Joe’s B list?

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I can’t believe that we are still debating whether we could get a better manager than Pardew…

I’m sure that some Man Utd fans are debating whether they could have got a better manager than Moyes and some Arsenal fans debating whether they could get a better manager than Wenger…

It’s all subjective anyway, we could just as easily replace Pardew and find that we’re worse off as better off in my opinion. I think Pardew is about the level we are at now and all the CL level managers wouldn’t want to manage us anyway.

We all know that MA wants to get the stability at the club so we are a firmly established top half PL team. This makes it easier to get players, sponsors, fans, maybe even a manager and eventually potentially sell the club at a significant profit. He’s not going to risk this by appointing a manager unproven in the PL and he’s not going to pay mega-bucks on salary and transfer kitty for a top manager who expects to be in the CL.

I really wish we could just drop the Pardew speculation until a few months into the season. I’ll be calling for his head if we’re sitting in 15th place, 10 points adrift of 8th in December…

• gonz

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Still think we’ll eventually sign Gomis. Missed out on our number one target (PEA-hat trick hero the other night) and Gomis is our number two target and until its completely dead in the water we will leave the bid on the table.

• Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence)

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM

So… who’s going to Morecambe?

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM

toontime

the issue when we sacked SBR was that he was the best we could do, there were maybe a handful of better managers in world football and we would not get them.

With Pardew there are countless better managers around the world, a lot of which will be on less than his 400k a year and work under equally stringent, if not more so conditions

• gonz

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM

@TDS you hit the nail in the coffin too!

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM

gonz

Thank you! I’m glad there are some rational people on the blog today…

• Pokat

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Where I stand on the Pardewliser-

His appointment left me numb, but at the time it was a madhouse and I realised that as a laughing stock we had to settle for him, not good, not bad lets see how it goes. We got a nice finish at 5h, but it had the feel of could have been better if not for a few niggling aspects of our play. I realised though that the core of players were good enough to get us into CL. Next season, I thought Europa would strengthen the team give the kids a push in the back so to speak. Unfortunatey it sorted the boys out from the men.

Injuries took their toll but Alan could still have moulded something a bit better. It all looked panicky to me, and the cracks started to show, the fitness was a big concern. I heard that Pardew is a commuter manager, lets his coaching staff do the training then turns up at the end of each week for a reccy.

So now we have played a lot of tosh teams and risked nothing pre-season, not many changes from last year really, so I am wondering if everyone has been given time to forget just how close we were to going down again? I think he is fresh out of plans myself. he has tried hard, but I think his level is a little lower than a PL club, thats just the way he is, just like not many payers are PL quality, he is the same as a manager. i don’t hate him for it, but it would be nice now that our image has settled a bit to attract a more recognised talent. But then they would have JFK over them. Ah, well.

• chuck

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Still laying scout I see !

• Spartak Miserable

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Pointless speculation. Thorwing names about with not even an ounce of proof. Boring. Most likely headline should be ”This Slovenian Striker Is Not Be On Newcastles B List” based upon the fact this article is complete and utter horse sh*t

• JToon21

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Just watched a few clips of Hugo Viana’s time at Newcastle I had forgotten the vision that the boy had, how I wish we had held onto him and Sir Bobby for a few more years he could have been a special player for us. Remember those days when we signed the best European talent for large fee’s and actually had ambition. Anyways I mention this as I read the article about Sir Bobby that was in Saturday’s programme that mentioned how he had identified Thiago of Barcelona as a future star player as watching the guy for 15mins in a Barcelona B match, how this guy was retained in a DOF role baffles me, a guy who could actually pick up the phone and speak to any football manager and command their respect unlike the joke we have currently.

• Pokat

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

We have a b list? What?

Not long now for Joe to prove there is a point in him.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM

TS

SBR was better than we deserved! There’s simply no way that we would have got him if he wasn’t a fan, he could have managed any club in the world. If we’re measuring managers against SBR then every single one will come up short, it’s just not a fair comparison. It’s a bit like comparing Cisse, Remy or Gomis to Shearer…

You’re completely speculating about a manager’s salary and his ability to work under stringent conditions. You don’t know their salary or bonus situation and it entirely depends on the league that they work in and the cost of living in that country.

Why don’t people just let Pardew get on with it?

• JToon21

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

*wasn’t retained

• aidytoon9

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Afternoon people!

Have we got anymore over the line yet as just in from work?

• Mister Tuff

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Dok -you’ve well and truely done it now -you’ve pulled the rug from poor old Seans feet. He was clearly right that there would be no Pardew out signs at SJP on the 19th. He would have come back onto here reporting he was correct in his assessments. Equally he could have reported that he met no-one who were disillusioned with the club whilst he was at SJP. He honestly could have reported his opinions assessments were correct.
    Dok -as you correctly pointed out -we are playing away on the 19th.
    Sean – you need to get a fixture list mate.

• Crow59

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Completely off topic has anybody seen or know anything about the little pots of herbs that Argentinians players are cutting around with?? heard from a source that colo and guti had one at the braga game and messi has also been pictured, anyone know anything??

• t00ntime

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM

@gonz good to see there are a few people who are atleast willing to support AP. whether he is the best man or not.

@transfersage thats true but from the managers who are better than AP, not many would want to work under MA. Also how much time would the get to change our style and our entire gameplan (which AP is trying to do atm, and getting shouted at by some because we dont play like barca yet)
    how many would stay when fans get angry because they dont reach our (more than likely) out of reach goals.
    The pool of managers gets thinner and thinner. Yes theres still quite a few who we could bring in but then the most important question.
    If MA fired AP do you think he would look further than JK?

The problem is I think he wont. And I’d rather give AP a chance to prove himself and support him and the lads than having JK in charge.

• cjtoon

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

On the whole Pardew thing for those that are saying give him another season.

If we say went five games without a win to start the season, i would love to see how many of you would instantly change your mind about sacking him.

We are in an awful position because we should have sacked him at the end of the season and now there is no time to bring in a new manager/playing style and players. The only way it will happen is via gross underperformance, which imo is still a substantial possibility.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

JToon21

Yep, I remember when we had ambition and signed players for large fees…

Luque, Owen, Boumsong, Marcelino, Viana, Cort, Bassedas, Goma, Maric…what a load of rot.

Recently we’ve signed Cisse, Remy, Cabaye, Tiote, Colo, MYM, Santon, Debuchy, Sissoko, Goofy, Anita, Ben Arfa etc. for a fraction of that lot.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

TDS

well thats the report on his salary as well as the report on klopps…can only go off what is printed in papers/articles online.

I’m not comapring pards to SBR…all i’m saying is sacking bobby was a stupid move as there is no way we could have got a better manager where as sacking pardew isn’t stupid as we could get a better manager (whether we would is a different story though).

As for saying lets see after a few months…i think i’ve been fair, i said i’d judge him during last season, he didn’t do too well, i said after jan i’d let him see if we improved, we did but it was the same game plan just better payers so got a few more points.

I just dont like the mans management ability, not for me, think we should do better.

And during this pre season with barely any transfers going on there is little else to talk about until the season starts.

• DokToon

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

mr tuff…

i am hanging my head in shame as i sit at my desk… please dont banish me the the land of the unwashed….

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

cjtoon

Were you one of those who thought we would challenge for the CL last year or were worried that Pardew might go to Man Utd or England too???

Cabaye and Tiote underperformed last season too, should we sell them based on last year’s performances? Less than £10M for the pair of them then…

He’s not going to be replaced now so we should give him a chance.

• Yohan Kebab

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

would love matavz but similar in play style to cisse

• marc

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM

any news guys on us biding for sinclair and ince seems that they have gone a bit quite

• Pokat

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I think appointing JFK told Mike Ashley just how much dross we would settle with. Sad but true. I think we could do better but no bedsheet for me no no no. I will support the man until we are in the bottom 3 which is when he will not have the ability to crawl out a second time. If he stays clear of the bottom half then all will be well.

But I still think we could have a better guy at the helm with a bit of effort and Mikes willingmess to do so. Which he hasnt got.

But none of this looks like we are actually striving to win anything.

• JToon21

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I’ve heard a few people mention how they would love AVB to be manager, we have to be realistic now we are well and truely in mid table mediocracy. The only thing thats seperates us from teams such as the West Broms, the Villas, and Norwich’s now is our amazing support and stadium. Look at Spurs, they finished 5th last year and have spent over £50mill improving this summer in order to cement a place in the top 4. What did we do last summer ? As Shearer said last year you need to spend at least £20million just to stand still in this league, what do we do ? spend even less than last summer and get one player in on loan.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

toontime

well pards has had 2 and half years so i imagine the club would give a new man plenty of time even if fans were impatient.

The reason i have grown tired of pards is that i dont see an improvement from his first game to now even though we have got a different style of player we play the same way.

TDS

Easy to just pick the bad players from the past and the good from now….could easily say we bought ferdinand, cole, shearer, solano then and amalfitano, williamson, best, etc now

I do think money doesn’t mean success but it would be nice if our owner would buy in enough players even if they were all free or low fees instead of leaving us short.

• aidytoon9

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Even through I am not to ambitious about this season under pards I am still looking forward to watching us play as have missed it.
    Still time to bring in a left winger and another forward.

• t00ntime

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM

@cjtoon I’d like to see how quick u’d change ur mind about firing pardew if JK is manager again 😉

Ap is trying to change the system. You are giving him no chance to prove we are changing. Yet you would give a new manager all the time he needs? cant see it. If any manager was to lose 5 games his job would be at risk. I dont think AP will lose the first 5 games. (I think we will lose against city though)

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM

TS

Klopp is on £1.8M pa from what I can see online…and he manages the German and CL runners up…and he’s been there for 5 years.

I couldn’t agree more that sacking SBR was the worst decision our club has made since I started supporting the club. It’s scandalous that we believed he was underperforming by getting us in or around the CL place every season.

Pardew can only do his best with the players he has available. Cabaye was either injured, depressed or just off-form, Ben Arfa was barely fit so we had very little in the way of creativity. The French lads signed in Jan went straight into the first team with no chance to get used to the PL or the rest of the team. I’d say there were enough mitigating circumstances when you look at that and the absence of our key players.

In 2011/12, our key players were Krul, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Ba/Cisse all of whom seemed to be in excellent form for virtually all season. In 2012/13 none of these players were in good form. We overachieved by getting 5th place.

• cjtoon

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM

TDS

no i wasn’t i dont think we are anywhere near champs league and nor will we be in the near future. I was the person last season trying to prove all of the stuff Pardew was selling us all was a load of rubbish. Sadly a lot of people bought it all – fatigue/injuries/depth/europa league.

I totally agree everyone deserves a chance and regardless of my thoughts will only ever support the team. i dont think booing or protests are what is needed just a 5year plan that doesnt change every season to work around under/overpeformance.

If they dont want to be here and thats part of why they aren’t performing then yes get rid. Not for 10 mil collectively though, market value is probably 20-25 for both. I like them both but at times they lack commitment and act like kids throwing their toys out of the pram.

I will fully support the team and manager and hope he proves us all (doubters) wrong. I just cant imagine Pardew can make this happen.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:36 PM

TDS

totally agree that last year wasn’t all pardews fault….Ashley screwed him over and the players let themselves down when fit.

I just find his style too negative….its all about sitting deep in a lot of games and rarely looking a threat. That might be a result of circumstances but from his 2.5 years thats how i see him wanting us to play.

Really hope i’m wrong on this and he turns things around, but i’ve not see it yet. To me he doesnt seem brave/capable enough to make us a front foot team, which is what brings constant challenging for a top 6/7 spot.

• JToon21

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

@ToonDarnSarf

Yes I admit that we wasted alot of money on players that turned out to useless, but the owners we were still prepared to back the managers. Look at Viana £8.5 million on a 19 year old, shows a level of ambition that we can only dream of now. And yes I agree that we have signed some very good players for fractional amounts but the players we need now to push on, in the £10 million bracket, Ashley wont sign.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

TS

But Willo was dirt cheap and does a job, Best likewise and we sold him for a similar amount, Amafatlatino was free I believe…so no transfer failures there. Biggest transfer failure is probably Obertan and he was cheap and is still only 23.

I think we nearly have enough players. I’d rather we just get in that one more attacking player for the first team and other signings are prospects. That way we keep our powder dry and see where we might need to strengthen in January due to injuries or players off form. As it stands, our squad is full so we’d have to sell to buy.

• Felipe

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

What a joy to read an unbiased toon preview after sifting through all the anti-pardew drivel that people dish out day after day on here.

I suggest everyone should read it, think about it, take a deep deep breath and then come back on here and have a reasoned debate instead of the usual nonsense.

• roy

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

If Pardew is as bad as the experts on here claim then why have no players slapped in transfer requests?

• t00ntime

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

@transfersage if its just about the board then fans shouldn’t even be talking about firing AP because the board have already decided he is staying. Its the fans that have turned on AP not the board, and I fear exactly the same will happen no matter who the next manager is.
    Tbf he said we were changing our style at the start of pre-season, so the only game I’ve seen is the one Vs Braga. Though we werent great and still made mistakes I felt like we played better than last season, still sloppy mistakes with short passes etc (but thats more the players fault imo) but we were passing more than last season and didnt seem to resort to long ball as quick. We havent played a good team yet so we dont know if we will still defend for 90mins or whether we will try and play. Guess we will find out on monday.
    Also think Remy will help cisse whether he plays on the wing or partners him which will get us more goals and hopefully less 2nd half comebacks against us.

• marc

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

ba was on form but thanks harry rednapp he was sold
    we would have finished alot higher had he not gone imo

• Transfer Sage

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

TDS

on klopp you are right…i got my argument mixed up

1.8mil a year though is only 35k a week…basic player wage so hardly much to shell out for a good manager.

Obviously we wouldn’t get him but surely we can compete with that wage.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM

cjtoon

As far as I know, they both do want to be here. The fact that nobody has left yet or demanded a transfer is surely a plus point in Pardew’s management skills?

The problem with a 5 year plan is that this is football and every other club is trying to do exactly the same thing as us. So for us to go from mid table mediocrity to the CL means that we have to make massive strides to catch up and then overtake clubs that make more money than us and have better squads than us. The 5 year plan should be in improving internal processes and the football should take care of itself.