The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Slovenian Striker Could Be On Newcastle’s B List

2:06 pm, Monday, August 12th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 136 Comments

With Joe Kinnear turning to his B list of strikers, we wonder who exactly is on the list, but this PSV striker, who we covered last month looks to be an excellent striker and could be a good buy for Newcastle.

Tim Matavz

Tim Matavž – 24 year-old Slovenian International striker

Tim Matavž is a 24 year-old 23 times capped Slovenian International striker (10 goals), who has played for two years at Dutch club PSV and has scored 40 goals in 80 appearances for the Dutch side.

Tim was born in Sempeter pri Gorici in the old Yugoslavia, and he started his career with Gorica at the age of six, and then moved to Gorica in 2004.

In 2007 at the age of 18, he signed a five-year deal at Dutch Club FC Groningen, and he played for them a total of 104 times with 49 goals, and while on loan at FC Emmen in 2008-2009, he scored 5 goals in 16 appearances.

In 2011 a number of top clubs were after the right-footed striker 6’2″ striker, including Napoli, but he was finally signed by PSV Eindhoven in August of 2011, and has since scored 40 goals in just 80 appearances for PSV, including 20 in 38 appearances last season.

Tim played for the Slovenian U19 and U21 sides and has 23 full caps with the full Slovenian side with 10 goals, after he made his debut back in 2009, when he was 20.

His record suggests he is a natural goalscorer, and in 236 total appearances in his career so far, he has scored 108 goals.

Here’s some video of the player.

We wonder is this lad is on Joe’s B list?

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

136 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I can’t believe that we are still debating whether we could get a better manager than Pardew…

I’m sure that some Man Utd fans are debating whether they could have got a better manager than Moyes and some Arsenal fans debating whether they could get a better manager than Wenger…

It’s all subjective anyway, we could just as easily replace Pardew and find that we’re worse off as better off in my opinion. I think Pardew is about the level we are at now and all the CL level managers wouldn’t want to manage us anyway.

We all know that MA wants to get the stability at the club so we are a firmly established top half PL team. This makes it easier to get players, sponsors, fans, maybe even a manager and eventually potentially sell the club at a significant profit. He’s not going to risk this by appointing a manager unproven in the PL and he’s not going to pay mega-bucks on salary and transfer kitty for a top manager who expects to be in the CL.

I really wish we could just drop the Pardew speculation until a few months into the season. I’ll be calling for his head if we’re sitting in 15th place, 10 points adrift of 8th in December…

• 2 gonz // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Still think we’ll eventually sign Gomis. Missed out on our number one target (PEA-hat trick hero the other night) and Gomis is our number two target and until its completely dead in the water we will leave the bid on the table.

• 3 Conaldo (The Wizard - Member of the Triangle of Intelligence) // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM

So… who’s going to Morecambe?

• 4 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM

toontime

the issue when we sacked SBR was that he was the best we could do, there were maybe a handful of better managers in world football and we would not get them.

With Pardew there are countless better managers around the world, a lot of which will be on less than his 400k a year and work under equally stringent, if not more so conditions

• 5 gonz // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM

@TDS you hit the nail in the coffin too!

• 6 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM

gonz

Thank you! I’m glad there are some rational people on the blog today…

• 7 Pokat // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Where I stand on the Pardewliser-

His appointment left me numb, but at the time it was a madhouse and I realised that as a laughing stock we had to settle for him, not good, not bad lets see how it goes. We got a nice finish at 5h, but it had the feel of could have been better if not for a few niggling aspects of our play. I realised though that the core of players were good enough to get us into CL. Next season, I thought Europa would strengthen the team give the kids a push in the back so to speak. Unfortunatey it sorted the boys out from the men.

Injuries took their toll but Alan could still have moulded something a bit better. It all looked panicky to me, and the cracks started to show, the fitness was a big concern. I heard that Pardew is a commuter manager, lets his coaching staff do the training then turns up at the end of each week for a reccy.

So now we have played a lot of tosh teams and risked nothing pre-season, not many changes from last year really, so I am wondering if everyone has been given time to forget just how close we were to going down again? I think he is fresh out of plans myself. he has tried hard, but I think his level is a little lower than a PL club, thats just the way he is, just like not many payers are PL quality, he is the same as a manager. i don’t hate him for it, but it would be nice now that our image has settled a bit to attract a more recognised talent. But then they would have JFK over them. Ah, well.

• 8 chuck // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Still laying scout I see !

• 9 Spartak Miserable // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Pointless speculation. Thorwing names about with not even an ounce of proof. Boring. Most likely headline should be ”This Slovenian Striker Is Not Be On Newcastles B List” based upon the fact this article is complete and utter horse sh*t

• 10 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Just watched a few clips of Hugo Viana’s time at Newcastle I had forgotten the vision that the boy had, how I wish we had held onto him and Sir Bobby for a few more years he could have been a special player for us. Remember those days when we signed the best European talent for large fee’s and actually had ambition. Anyways I mention this as I read the article about Sir Bobby that was in Saturday’s programme that mentioned how he had identified Thiago of Barcelona as a future star player as watching the guy for 15mins in a Barcelona B match, how this guy was retained in a DOF role baffles me, a guy who could actually pick up the phone and speak to any football manager and command their respect unlike the joke we have currently.

• 11 Pokat // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

We have a b list? What?

Not long now for Joe to prove there is a point in him.

• 12 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM

TS

SBR was better than we deserved! There’s simply no way that we would have got him if he wasn’t a fan, he could have managed any club in the world. If we’re measuring managers against SBR then every single one will come up short, it’s just not a fair comparison. It’s a bit like comparing Cisse, Remy or Gomis to Shearer…

You’re completely speculating about a manager’s salary and his ability to work under stringent conditions. You don’t know their salary or bonus situation and it entirely depends on the league that they work in and the cost of living in that country.

Why don’t people just let Pardew get on with it?

• 13 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

*wasn’t retained

• 14 aidytoon9 // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Afternoon people!

Have we got anymore over the line yet as just in from work?

• 15 Mister Tuff // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Dok -you’ve well and truely done it now -you’ve pulled the rug from poor old Seans feet. He was clearly right that there would be no Pardew out signs at SJP on the 19th. He would have come back onto here reporting he was correct in his assessments. Equally he could have reported that he met no-one who were disillusioned with the club whilst he was at SJP. He honestly could have reported his opinions assessments were correct.
    Dok -as you correctly pointed out -we are playing away on the 19th.
    Sean – you need to get a fixture list mate.

• 16 Crow59 // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Completely off topic has anybody seen or know anything about the little pots of herbs that Argentinians players are cutting around with?? heard from a source that colo and guti had one at the braga game and messi has also been pictured, anyone know anything??

• 17 t00ntime // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM

@gonz good to see there are a few people who are atleast willing to support AP. whether he is the best man or not.

@transfersage thats true but from the managers who are better than AP, not many would want to work under MA. Also how much time would the get to change our style and our entire gameplan (which AP is trying to do atm, and getting shouted at by some because we dont play like barca yet)
    how many would stay when fans get angry because they dont reach our (more than likely) out of reach goals.
    The pool of managers gets thinner and thinner. Yes theres still quite a few who we could bring in but then the most important question.
    If MA fired AP do you think he would look further than JK?

The problem is I think he wont. And I’d rather give AP a chance to prove himself and support him and the lads than having JK in charge.

• 18 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

On the whole Pardew thing for those that are saying give him another season.

If we say went five games without a win to start the season, i would love to see how many of you would instantly change your mind about sacking him.

We are in an awful position because we should have sacked him at the end of the season and now there is no time to bring in a new manager/playing style and players. The only way it will happen is via gross underperformance, which imo is still a substantial possibility.

• 19 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

JToon21

Yep, I remember when we had ambition and signed players for large fees…

Luque, Owen, Boumsong, Marcelino, Viana, Cort, Bassedas, Goma, Maric…what a load of rot.

Recently we’ve signed Cisse, Remy, Cabaye, Tiote, Colo, MYM, Santon, Debuchy, Sissoko, Goofy, Anita, Ben Arfa etc. for a fraction of that lot.

• 20 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

TDS

well thats the report on his salary as well as the report on klopps…can only go off what is printed in papers/articles online.

I’m not comapring pards to SBR…all i’m saying is sacking bobby was a stupid move as there is no way we could have got a better manager where as sacking pardew isn’t stupid as we could get a better manager (whether we would is a different story though).

As for saying lets see after a few months…i think i’ve been fair, i said i’d judge him during last season, he didn’t do too well, i said after jan i’d let him see if we improved, we did but it was the same game plan just better payers so got a few more points.

I just dont like the mans management ability, not for me, think we should do better.

And during this pre season with barely any transfers going on there is little else to talk about until the season starts.

• 21 DokToon // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

mr tuff…

i am hanging my head in shame as i sit at my desk… please dont banish me the the land of the unwashed….

• 22 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

cjtoon

Were you one of those who thought we would challenge for the CL last year or were worried that Pardew might go to Man Utd or England too???

Cabaye and Tiote underperformed last season too, should we sell them based on last year’s performances? Less than £10M for the pair of them then…

He’s not going to be replaced now so we should give him a chance.

• 23 Yohan Kebab // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

would love matavz but similar in play style to cisse

• 24 marc // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM

any news guys on us biding for sinclair and ince seems that they have gone a bit quite

• 25 Pokat // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I think appointing JFK told Mike Ashley just how much dross we would settle with. Sad but true. I think we could do better but no bedsheet for me no no no. I will support the man until we are in the bottom 3 which is when he will not have the ability to crawl out a second time. If he stays clear of the bottom half then all will be well.

But I still think we could have a better guy at the helm with a bit of effort and Mikes willingmess to do so. Which he hasnt got.

But none of this looks like we are actually striving to win anything.

• 26 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I’ve heard a few people mention how they would love AVB to be manager, we have to be realistic now we are well and truely in mid table mediocracy. The only thing thats seperates us from teams such as the West Broms, the Villas, and Norwich’s now is our amazing support and stadium. Look at Spurs, they finished 5th last year and have spent over £50mill improving this summer in order to cement a place in the top 4. What did we do last summer ? As Shearer said last year you need to spend at least £20million just to stand still in this league, what do we do ? spend even less than last summer and get one player in on loan.

• 27 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

toontime

well pards has had 2 and half years so i imagine the club would give a new man plenty of time even if fans were impatient.

The reason i have grown tired of pards is that i dont see an improvement from his first game to now even though we have got a different style of player we play the same way.

TDS

Easy to just pick the bad players from the past and the good from now….could easily say we bought ferdinand, cole, shearer, solano then and amalfitano, williamson, best, etc now

I do think money doesn’t mean success but it would be nice if our owner would buy in enough players even if they were all free or low fees instead of leaving us short.

• 28 aidytoon9 // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Even through I am not to ambitious about this season under pards I am still looking forward to watching us play as have missed it.
    Still time to bring in a left winger and another forward.

• 29 t00ntime // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM

@cjtoon I’d like to see how quick u’d change ur mind about firing pardew if JK is manager again ;-)

Ap is trying to change the system. You are giving him no chance to prove we are changing. Yet you would give a new manager all the time he needs? cant see it. If any manager was to lose 5 games his job would be at risk. I dont think AP will lose the first 5 games. (I think we will lose against city though)

• 30 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM

TS

Klopp is on £1.8M pa from what I can see online…and he manages the German and CL runners up…and he’s been there for 5 years.

I couldn’t agree more that sacking SBR was the worst decision our club has made since I started supporting the club. It’s scandalous that we believed he was underperforming by getting us in or around the CL place every season.

Pardew can only do his best with the players he has available. Cabaye was either injured, depressed or just off-form, Ben Arfa was barely fit so we had very little in the way of creativity. The French lads signed in Jan went straight into the first team with no chance to get used to the PL or the rest of the team. I’d say there were enough mitigating circumstances when you look at that and the absence of our key players.

In 2011/12, our key players were Krul, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Ba/Cisse all of whom seemed to be in excellent form for virtually all season. In 2012/13 none of these players were in good form. We overachieved by getting 5th place.

• 31 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM

TDS

no i wasn’t i dont think we are anywhere near champs league and nor will we be in the near future. I was the person last season trying to prove all of the stuff Pardew was selling us all was a load of rubbish. Sadly a lot of people bought it all – fatigue/injuries/depth/europa league.

I totally agree everyone deserves a chance and regardless of my thoughts will only ever support the team. i dont think booing or protests are what is needed just a 5year plan that doesnt change every season to work around under/overpeformance.

If they dont want to be here and thats part of why they aren’t performing then yes get rid. Not for 10 mil collectively though, market value is probably 20-25 for both. I like them both but at times they lack commitment and act like kids throwing their toys out of the pram.

I will fully support the team and manager and hope he proves us all (doubters) wrong. I just cant imagine Pardew can make this happen.

• 32 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:36 PM

TDS

totally agree that last year wasn’t all pardews fault….Ashley screwed him over and the players let themselves down when fit.

I just find his style too negative….its all about sitting deep in a lot of games and rarely looking a threat. That might be a result of circumstances but from his 2.5 years thats how i see him wanting us to play.

Really hope i’m wrong on this and he turns things around, but i’ve not see it yet. To me he doesnt seem brave/capable enough to make us a front foot team, which is what brings constant challenging for a top 6/7 spot.

• 33 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

@ToonDarnSarf

Yes I admit that we wasted alot of money on players that turned out to useless, but the owners we were still prepared to back the managers. Look at Viana £8.5 million on a 19 year old, shows a level of ambition that we can only dream of now. And yes I agree that we have signed some very good players for fractional amounts but the players we need now to push on, in the £10 million bracket, Ashley wont sign.

• 34 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

TS

But Willo was dirt cheap and does a job, Best likewise and we sold him for a similar amount, Amafatlatino was free I believe…so no transfer failures there. Biggest transfer failure is probably Obertan and he was cheap and is still only 23.

I think we nearly have enough players. I’d rather we just get in that one more attacking player for the first team and other signings are prospects. That way we keep our powder dry and see where we might need to strengthen in January due to injuries or players off form. As it stands, our squad is full so we’d have to sell to buy.

• 35 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

What a joy to read an unbiased toon preview after sifting through all the anti-pardew drivel that people dish out day after day on here.

I suggest everyone should read it, think about it, take a deep deep breath and then come back on here and have a reasoned debate instead of the usual nonsense.

• 36 roy // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

If Pardew is as bad as the experts on here claim then why have no players slapped in transfer requests?

• 37 t00ntime // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

@transfersage if its just about the board then fans shouldn’t even be talking about firing AP because the board have already decided he is staying. Its the fans that have turned on AP not the board, and I fear exactly the same will happen no matter who the next manager is.
    Tbf he said we were changing our style at the start of pre-season, so the only game I’ve seen is the one Vs Braga. Though we werent great and still made mistakes I felt like we played better than last season, still sloppy mistakes with short passes etc (but thats more the players fault imo) but we were passing more than last season and didnt seem to resort to long ball as quick. We havent played a good team yet so we dont know if we will still defend for 90mins or whether we will try and play. Guess we will find out on monday.
    Also think Remy will help cisse whether he plays on the wing or partners him which will get us more goals and hopefully less 2nd half comebacks against us.

• 38 marc // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

ba was on form but thanks harry rednapp he was sold
    we would have finished alot higher had he not gone imo

• 39 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

TDS

on klopp you are right…i got my argument mixed up

1.8mil a year though is only 35k a week…basic player wage so hardly much to shell out for a good manager.

Obviously we wouldn’t get him but surely we can compete with that wage.

• 40 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM

cjtoon

As far as I know, they both do want to be here. The fact that nobody has left yet or demanded a transfer is surely a plus point in Pardew’s management skills?

The problem with a 5 year plan is that this is football and every other club is trying to do exactly the same thing as us. So for us to go from mid table mediocrity to the CL means that we have to make massive strides to catch up and then overtake clubs that make more money than us and have better squads than us. The 5 year plan should be in improving internal processes and the football should take care of itself.

• 41 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM

TS

Agreed. He signed Cabaye and said he wanted to make him the fulcrum of the team…we’ve also got Ben Arfa and 2 attacking full backs so he has the players to play an attacking and dynamic style. The question is, will he give them the freedom to play that style or will he stagnate them like last season.

From some of the things he’s said, I think he’s learned that lesson and will allow them more freedom. The fact that the Jan signings will have had a pre-season with us is surely good news too as they will have the chance to bed in with the other players.

• 42 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM

felipe

Good article

I still feel that from watching us under pardew we are a negative team that creates very few team goals, most come from individual strikes/brillaince.

I found an article myself last year, it shows we have fewest chances inside 6 yard box and most shots from outside the 18 yard box….to me that smacks of a team who struggles to create and relies heavily on pot shots and something special.

i cant find it now, will post when i get home

• 43 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM

TDS

We may disagree but like you say, no matter what pardew is here for now, probably the season unless something goes horribly wrong.

I am not happy he is here but too late to change now, might as well see if he has learned anything…one more trophyless season wont hurt me.

• 44 count // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I find myself hoping that we do sell cabaye. If for no other reason than I don’t like the expressions he pulls while playing. Twisting on like a child. I actually think Anita looks better when approaching the final third. I think he is much better there than as a defensive midfielder. I think Anita/Marv/bigi can all do a job there and we would be better off replacing cabaye with a really good winger and get the ball to them rather than get the ball to cabaye so he can go all huffy when his passes go awry. He has gotten too big for his boots.

Well, that’s my time fantasising about hypothetical football based scenarios over for the day. Suppose I should do/think about something worthwhile for a bit.

• 45 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM

JToon21

Are you forgetting that if we spend £10M on a player and pay him £50kpw on a 6 year contract then that’s £25M of the club’s money? And are you forgetting that if the player really is top class then there are many CL level clubs that will be after him already?

We don’t want to spend that kind of money on a prospect that the CL clubs don’t want, so the only chance is that the player wants to join a club just below that level to ensure regular football.

• 46 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM

@TransferSage

Perhaps that’s why we are supposedly after Bent. We haven’t really had a 6 yard box striker for a while. Ba was close but then Cisse coming in changed all that. Would still be interested to read the article if you can find it.

• 47 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

TS

Trophy? What’s that? :-)

Believe me, if we start off badly and the top 8 is looking unlikely already by the time we move into November or December, then I’ll be on here demanding that he goes.

Even if we’re sitting in the top 10 but playing naff football, I won’t be best pleased. But to be honest wouldn’t mind us having an ok season and finishing a solid 9th or 10th and consider our options next summer.

Hopefully we’ll play some good football and finish top 8 though. A tilt at top 6 or a cup too please. :-)

• 48 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Toontime:

The thing is though like sage has said we should keep pardew just because kinnear is the next most likely option. I dont think we will lose the first five but if we lose to man city and then only win one of the next four (even drawing the other 3). Im perhaps being too pessimistic about this.

I just find it hard to be optimistic for a number of reasons this season. Most of all because in pure footballing terms last season for me was the worst i have seen as a supporter. I think we played more creative ambitious football in our relegation year.

The league is stronger this year with teams arounds us making huge improvements (Norwich, Swansea, Saints, S’land?, L’pool & everton) it will be a much more level playing field.

I just want to enjoy supporting and watching us. I find it hard at the moment with the style of play. I dont feel we are going to win before games like i used too and fully expect us to drop deep when we are winning.

• 49 marc // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM

why bang on about new players having a whole pre-seaon with us we all know pre-season dont mean jack the opponents have been poo so they anit gaining anything really apart from fitness

if anything matters it is the fact they were chucked in at the deep end since jan they have all played in competative prem games now that should stand them in good stead for the upcoming season

• 50 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM

TDS

I’d take top 12 mate if there were clear signs our football was improving and it looked like we were giving ourselves a great platform for the following year.

Felipe

It was less an article and more a collection of stats…but it wasn’t good reading for us.

Hopefully we can just get some rhythm going and start to play in attack and defense as one unit instead of being totally separate.

• 51 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM

sorry shouldnt keep pardew (oh god)

• 52 Transfer Sage // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM

cjtoon

I don’t think we should keep pardew as the next option is worse…i just think they have left it too close to the season to change now.

• 53 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM

marc

Pre-season isn’t just about the friendly games you know! They will have had weeks to train together, learn new set plays, try new tactics without the pressure of having to prepare for competitive games or recover from knocks from half a season of continuous competitive games.

You only have to listen to players and managers to understand how important a pre-season is.

• 54 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM

TS

Me too. But I still think we should be getting top 8. Hopefully Cabaye and Ben Arfa will be fit for most of the season. Cabaye can control the play from midfield and Ben Arfa either creates space for others or is a wonderful outlet.

• 55 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Go read the article…

• 56 The puppy formerly known as prince // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I have to agree under Pardew we are non existent as an competitors in most games let alone in any of the competitions, for me he doesn’t his strongest line up or formation. If he does he hides it well, constantly playing under performing players, selecting players pout of position is not an issue for me (nothing ventured nothing gained) but you can’t keep playing the same and expect different results! He doesn’t know how best to use the team we can actually play football and score goals but as soon as he scores for some reason he wants to defend a one goal lead. We have (had last season) an appalling defence when under constant pressure of attack, he doesn’t seem to realise his tactics are flawed and has no back up plan and therefore his substitutions are questionable at best. That said the subs he had to use last season were – who ever is fit is on the bench and that would limit his tactical changing during games. Pre season is hard to judge subs as he has made a few getting game time in for as many as possible, which would is right IMO. I’ll delay my judgement until we kick off but I have no hope what so ever.

The worst thing for me is that betweens Ashley and his low spending policy that hasn’t reduced any debt on the face of it, Kinnear and his lack of getting players over any lines and, Pardew with his crass remarks and his arrogant rose tinted glasses that he must wear for every game – they are well down the road to actually taking all the FUN and ENJOYMENT out of supporting this club.

• 57 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I’ll settle for 50+ points this season, wherever that lands us. But I think we’ll get more.

• 58 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM

TDS

I dont think they want to leave but i suspect given the opportunity of a bigger club they would soon decide they did. I had a feeling last year that was part of why they both underperformed after perhaps CL teams bid for them and we rejected the offers. I obviously can’t prove that but i just thought it may have been a contributing factor.

I also think you’re right Pardew/Ashley have done well to keep the squad together. For all of the Bashing of Ashley he hasn’t sold anyone Except for Carroll which was an offer nobody in their right mind would refuse.

All im saying about the five year plan is that their has to be a base criteria and steady progression. Yes you can have a blip for us this was finishing fifth. It raised expectations by enlarge. It wasnt progression and for me wouldnt match our lowest allowance for a finishing position which surely falls on the manager?

• 59 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM

@ToonDarnSarf

You can’t just say that a player will cost £25million over 6 years as this figure seems to neglect the finanicial benefits that a player will bring to a club. For instance look at Benteke a player who only cost £7million and is now being touted as a future Champions league player. The lad basically kept Villa in the Premiership, now if we say he would cost the club £25millions over 6 years that seems pretty small when you take into consideration the financial rewards a club receieves for staying in the League and also the fact that the player is probably worth 3x his original value

• 60 t00ntime // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM

@cjtoon tbh I just cant see us playing that bad this season. With HBA and cabs looking fit that can only be positive. Without signing any players we have actually improved on last season if our players have any form at all. I can see Remy scoring quite a few goals with his pace and finishing ability.

Also Sunderland have signed a load of nobodies/has beens. they have strengthed but every season they buy a new team, dont give them time to gel, fire manager. Then start all over again season after.
    Everton without Moyes are already alot weaker imo. Moyes made them play better then they were (like SAF with man utd). Dont think they’ll have it this season.
    Swansea have a lot more games, so they might have trouble with injuries (hope not for them, dont mind swansea tbh).

I agree with the rest and that the games will be tough. But I honestly believe if AP plays his cards right and Cabs is on form (and stays) we will be fine.
    Now I just hope AP proves me right lol

• 61 BuckLuck // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Gomis deal appear to be dead;

You win some you loose some. B list it is then.

• 62 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM

cjtoon

If Cabaye and Tiote get back to the form of 2011/12 then I’ll be delighted. If they really wanted to leave then I’m sure that they would have found a way by now. Colo made it clear that he wanted to leave but then came back to play brilliantly at the end of the season.

I can see progression in the squad improving every season, the new head of performance and hopefully some young players breaking through. Progression doesn’t get much quicker unless you invest like Chelski or Citeh.

• 63 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM

@cjtoon

I agree there does need to be a steady progression, tottenham have bought well and sold players for large fee’s. The club have now established themselves as a top 5 team.

• 64 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM

JToon21

Talk about speculation, that’s just ridiculous!

Of course I can say that a player signed for £10M and paid £50kpw on a 6 year contract would cost around £25M because they would!

There is absolutely no need to speculate that this one signing might keep us in the league or that his value will triple. Xisco cost about this amount and did he bring any financial benefit to the club? Did he hell.

Villa signed Benteke and we signed Cabaye, Sissoko, Tiote and several others.

Every single club in the top leagues and many clubs in others are hunting around for the next Benteke, Cabaye or Tiote, it’s not as simple as just having the money to spend.

• 65 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I agree aswell im really split on this season i think we can maybe will grind out results. I think remy will be great, i think(pray) B arfa will have a full season and do really well too. From the friendlies you can see we have worked on certain things and i dont want to judge us on frinedly performances as they are just for fitness and a bit of match sharpness.

I will be looking at the four games after man city to make my judgements and at the end of the day i just want us to do well and subsequently i can enjoy watching our team agian!

I have nothing against anyone at the club i just want to enjoy watching us play. Selfish i know..

• 66 marc // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

mate nothing will prepare them more that the prem itself
    now they know what to expect at least
    have you seen us play even players are complaining training is to easy
    set plays are you actually gunna bring that up just cos we scored from one the other day haha mate???

• 67 pawl250 // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Look lads I promise Gomis is not amazing.

I have said from day 1 the only benefit from sealing the Gomis deal would be to actually have more bodies. He is very average 10m is not his worth, not to mention his contract remaining! he would have been a back up. No chance getting in our starting 11, which is not good enough for 10m.

Hope we can move on and stop wasting time. I would love to see Shane Long and Wjnaldum, which should be no more than 10m, and cheaper wages. Both better players!

Gomis is alot of money for what you get. I cannot say I am too bothered about this.

Mind Gomis would have only confirmed a more hoof ball approach! I have no issue having it as an option, but Pardew would have no doubted over used the option!

• 68 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

@PAW1250
    Have you had a chat with Graham Carr about your opinion on Gomis? What did he think about you disagreeing with him? Did he change his mind once you pointed out to him he was really pants?

• 69 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

TDS

I think we would all be delighted if they manage to recapture that form. Im not for one minute saying i dont like them i just dont want us to carry players that dont deserve to be in the team (or seemingly want to be at times).

I think keeping Colo is a huge bonus even if it is only for one more season. However he only stayed because San Lorenzo couldnt stump up the money we wanted imo. If they could have afforded him i think he would be gone. Hopefully STaylor or MYM can step into his role after this year.

I disagree with progression only being made quicker by city and chelsea. I think Norwich, Swansea & Saints have all progressed quicker than us. I think they play better football than us and have shown more commitment in this window than us.

Im not saying they are better than us as a club or squad because i feel we are “on paper” a top 8 side. I just think they have progressed and quickly in 2 years narrowed the gap on us.

• 70 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM

@ ToonDarnSarf

I was merely highlighting Benteke as an example, and Im not saying that this next striker will be the difference between staying up and going down. What I was getting at as this figure of £25 million you came up seems excessive as it isnt put into perspective. Each club receives £60 million at the end of the season, and this will continue for the next 6 years.

• 71 Indian Magpie // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

some of you may have already known.

• 72 Jonny // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Would love to see Sinclair and ince join this summer. Especially ince is destined for massive things.

• 73 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

cjtoon
    What do you think the Liverpool’s and Everton’s were saying about our progression when we finished 5th in our second season? Cannot see them sustaining that this season.

Meanwhile we were unlucky that we had the worst injury record in the league while failing to strengthen the squad until January for a campaign that included 14 extra Europa League games.

You all bleat on about the type of football we played but we were missing our two most creative players for most of the season. Ben Arfa only started 16 games and Cabaye carried a groin injury for two months before having surgery and then missing another three months.
    Haris Vuckic another creative player got injured in pre season and missed the entire season!
    Apart from that Taylor and Colo only played a half a season each and Ryan Taylor missed the entire season.

• 74 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM

@Indian
    There’s nothing new there and we still don’t know if we’ll go for him or not.
    We’ve just walked out of the car showroom and told the salesman what he could do with his new car. Give it 5 minutes and they usually come running after you with a discount and incentives ;-)

• 75 valle // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM

The players people think we should get instead of Gomis seem to be quite different to him. One of the big differences will be the height, and since AP got allot of critique for the lack of goals from set pieces, you can be pretty sure that we will be looking for a striker that can be a danger from headers… So no, it wont be Shane Long in my opinion, but who then?

• 76 ToonAndy // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM

So we have Gomis on the A list…

And then a younger, faster, better goal scorer on the B list?? Ahhh ok

• 77 daztoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM

This window should have been a time for Ashley to show some real Ambition.For me Sakho,Gomis,Long,Ince and Will Hughes to add to the Remy loan and maybe losing Cabaye would have been a good window.

• 78 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM

cjtoon

Sadly, I don’t think Saylor will ever be as good as Colo, he’s just not in that class.

Sure Norwich, Swansea & Southampton have progressed quicker but that’s because they had a championship level squad to improve upon. I believe that we already had a top 10 squad last season and it’s a lot harder to improve on that when the top 6 are just miles away realistically.

• 79 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Felipe

Well they probably thought we were playing really good football but we weren’t as all of our fans should know. We played the exact same last season and look what happened. We got good results by grinding out wins which was very good. We were strong and commited, lots of last ditch tackles. Lots of goal line clearances. Lots of individual brilliance when we couldnt find an opening.

This would have been great if we had built upon it “progressed” im not saying last season we should have done better than fifth but the basis was there to progress our style and ideas.

This is the point i am “bleating” on about one thing and you all “bleat” on about europa league and injuries. In the season we finished 5th we were still in the top five clubs for injuries. Not only that but for the majority of the europa league group games we played a second string team.

And even so these are professional sportsmen and their job is to play football. If chelseas players can mange to play the amount of games they played last season why cant ours? mata made 74 appearances last season for club and country. seen any articles about his fatigue?

Im dont think missing our two most creative players is a good enough reason to play awful football. Do you enjoy our style of play? And stat wise they arent our most creative players either might i add (last season). Im mainly talking about ball retention and momement of the ball two things that are what i would consider your bread and butter as a pro footballer but our team lacks it completely.

• 80 count // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Valle @74

SHOLA!

• 81 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

JToon21

£25M is £25M. I don’t think the perspective is relevant because I’d rather see £25M spend elsewhere rather than a punt on a lauded youngster. It’s all well and good if we think he’ll turn out to be the next Bale, Walcott or Benteke but those players are few and far between. There are far more Marcelinos, Boumsongs and Vianas…

Every club is trying to sign the next Benteke but there’s no point in spending the money because we have it. All the key people at the club have to be very confident that the player is right for us.

• 82 Yohan Kebab // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM

#Ajax captain Siem de Jong has been hospitalised with a collapsed lung.

• 83 valle // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM

count… Shame long on me for forgetting him!… Sammy is even taller right? Somehow I doubt he can win a header though :(

• 84 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM

TDS

No i dont think Saylor could step up to Colo’s level but he does bring something to our team other than the occasional baffling mistakes and handballs he does. I like him because he is commited and will give 120% regardless of the situation.

MYM could be a great player though and obviously has leadership qualities we could use. Cabaye is seen as the obvious successor for the captaincy though i think. I just want to see less petulance from him and more determination. Great player but poor attitude at times.

• 85 daztoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM

@JToon21

I think you`ll have to word it different as Sarf ain`t getting it

• 86 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 3:57 PM

cjtoon

Saylor isn’t good enough to play for one of the top 6 so he’s backup only in my eyes. You’re right, he’ll always give his best for us, although that does mean a baffling handball or rash tackle all too often unfortunately…

We probably get an extra 10% out of him because he’s a Geordie and he’s been at the club since he was a kid. He’d only really be a starter at a PL club near the bottom of the league.

• 87 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM

@ToonDarnSarf

Every transfer is a gamble or a punt in many respects, we need to be taking these gambles on ‘lauded youngsters’, we don’t have the finances to compete with larger clubs when these youngsters do finally make the grade nor are will be an attractive propersition for them. Yes I agree that all the people associated with the club have to be happy but thats why we employ scouts, who must be respected enough to earn 8 year contracts. I would imagine Carr has a very large list of emerging talent. look at that Thaurin that we tried to buy for a few million in January, Marseille have apparently tired to buy him for 7.5million euros. We need to become a stepping stone for these players and have a steady progression.

• 88 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I dont think he’s that bad on his day he can definitly compete with the best imo. Its just consistency and injury with him which obviously go hand in hand. I still feel he could become a top six first team defender if he stays injury free and cuts out the rash mistakes.

As for signings our scouting isnt as good as we think if Remy Bent and gomis are all we have managed to find in world football. im sure we could all think of at least three better players to spend £17-£22 mil on (remy 6-8mil potentially,bent 4-6mil & gomis7-8mil). Although i do like remy and think he is worth 6-8 mil.

• 89 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Cjtoon
    If you just want to ignore everything I say and repeat the same garbage there’s really not much I can do.
    It’s gotnothingti do with how many games a fit player plays. It’s got nothing to do with a team who have been used to European football for the last 10 years.
    It has to do with a team who had an extra 14 games to play but who not only failed to strengthen but then had the worst injury record in the league. The fact that two of the worst we’re our two most creative players didn’t help. If you just want to dismiss all that then you clearly have an Genda on here that nobody is going to stop. You and a few others.

• 90 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM

*agenda

• 91 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM

- Sorry the end of my previous post was Toon Darn Sarfs argument

.Its not about spending the money because we have it, we have to spend the money to remain competitive. The teams around us have all spent money to improve whereas we haven’t, we don’t have the squad depth at present.

• 92 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM

JToon21

Don’t you think we’ve been doing this with Cisse, Cabaye, Haidara, Tiote and others? We needed players all over the pitch to bring our squad up to top 8 standard.

Now though, you’re probably right, but I don’t think we’ll be taking many gambles as MA just doesn’t work that way. I would like to see us sign 20 year old very promising players who aren’t quite good enough for the CL yet but with the potential.

• 93 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM

cjtoon

We were never going to sign all 3 of them. And it’s irrelevant who we could think of that we believe would cost less. They have to be available and they have to want to join us.

• 94 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM

since there seems to be a AP debate on here today, lets not forget that if AP finishes below 10th he will get the sack and that came from MA & DL

• 95 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM

B list = C.Cole

• 96 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

JToon21

Yeah, we need to spend the money and hopefully we’ll have at least one other signing this summer. We spent quite a bit in January don’t forget and our squad is actually full I think. We’ll need to shift out more players to make room for any more I believe.

• 97 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM

oh and eh i still don’t think we will be buying any 1 any time soon

• 98 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

i have no agenda felipe just feel that last seasons poor performance is too easily filed away due to those reasons.

Like i said all any of us want is for newcastle to succeed so if thats my agenda im very sorry for wanting such a horrible thing.

im not trying to repeat the same garbage either. I just feel injuries and europa league werent the main causes of our awful season. Obviously not strengthening had an impact especially Ba leaving. European football is what players want so the extra games should be an incentive not a negative, regardless of who plays.

I think the way we played against man utd at old trafford in the 4-3 and arsenal in the 7-3 shows we can play better attcking football. Its just crazy we did it in those two games and not in the games where we were beating reading 1-0 and went defensive to hold out for a win and lost.

I dont know what agenda you think i have because i think we both have valid arguemenst and i can accept that injuries/europa/lack of summer investment had an impact but they arent the only factors for me.

• 99 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM

@ToonDarnSarf

I agree Ashley won’t gamble on a promising player as that would require long term investment. I mainly see Ashley continuing his trend of finding players nearing the end of their contracts and then playing hardball with owners. Ashley won’t want an outlay of £10mill on a 19 year old and then have to wait 5-6 years to reap the profits.

• 100 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM

well said

• 101 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM

@Toon DarnSarf

January spending shouldn’t be viewed as a precursor to this window. January spening should be viewed as correcting the mistakes of last summers window. We desperately lack creativity, 2 out and out wingers need to be brought in to give competition to Jonas and Ben Arfa and 2 additional strikers. With the outlay of Shola. If Vuckic is going to be loaned out so should Sammy as he is no where near first team standard.

• 102 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM

im at work so my quick typing is causing numerous spelling mistakes, apologies for that.

TDS

I wasnt saying we were but we have been in for those players definitely and all i was saying is hypothetically we could all think of better players who would most likely be interested and accept our sort of wage levels.

Im not trying to be awkward or say Carr is terrible (because clearly he isnt) just that surely we can come up with better ideas than those three players.

Remy we already knew about, Bent is a gamble fairly old and on a high wage (could still bag some goals though) and Gomis has been on our rader (linked to us) for a number of years.

Feel like our recruitment has just lost the plot this window.

• 103 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM

JToon21

He doesn’t have to wait 5-6 years to reap the profits believe me. It’s not just about buying the players cheaply and then selling them on. For MA, it’s about the value of the player in the books. So if he buys a player for £10M and then 2 years later he can be valued at £25M, then that’s an extra £25M worth of assets for the club that he owns.

He hasn’t spent £10M on promising youngsters because we need players to go straight into the first team. We can’t wait for a player to be good enough.

• 104 89Norcal // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM

cjtoon

I noticed that as well vs Man Utd and Arsenal last season. The season before we played likewise vs. Arsenal at the Emirates when we lost at the death.

We have played a very attacking style against some top teams under Pardew. Problem is even though we look better and score more goals, we are completely wide open – which is why I believe Pardew chose to ditch such tactics completely.

But rather than do that he should have worked on the defense

• 105 ToonDownSouth // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Black and white

Where did that come from? I don’t remember reading it anyway

The “If Pardew finishes below 10th he’ll be sacked”. Was that actually stated?

• 106 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM

cjtoon

I know fans like to speculate on players and so on, but I have to say, I’ve never got the kind of speculation where people think they know more than seasoned professionals who are paid a hell of a lot of money to do their jobs.

I have to assume that Carr and co. know all they need to know about virtually every player you would care to mention and there will be reasons that they aren’t joining the club. It’s his full-time job after all.

• 107 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM

JTOON 21

I think your spot on with the transfer window point. I know we “brought forward” signings in january but we needed to make up for last summer.

Hence the reason this window has been so bad. Its obvious to the world we needed at least 2 strikers (3 if we could have got a young prospect as backup to replace shola and allow us to loan out Campbell)

Remy is a good signing on loan but we dont know if it will be made permenant or if his legal issues will be resolved for the better.

• 108 Foxworth // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Can somebody make Ed a new Banner already please?

The season’s about to start like!!!

• 109 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

@tds

That what I mean about Ashley not having a long term view about devloping players. If he held any ambitions for the club we would be buying youth like we sort of did when he first arrived. I think that Ashley wants to cut his looses so to speak with the club, ensuring that we stay in the league so that we remain attractive for would be buyers.

• 110 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I didnt say i knew more than any seasoned professionals. All i was trying to point out is that our transfer policy this window has been fairly unambitious, unimaginative and very disappointing.

I dont think Carr is the issue nor do i think he doesnt know an unimaginable amount more than me about all of europes/the worlds best prospects than me.

However the question is why would we be after darren bent and Gomis for the prices and salaries being mooted if we did have such extensive scouting information.

If i made it sound like i think im better than people paid to scout for us then i apologise. Could you not think of three better players hypothetically you think would want to sign and we could afford based on the values and wage demands being speculated? i would imagine you could thats all im saying.

• 111 USAGEORDIE // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM

A Striker who I thought just had a rough season last year who would be an excellent addition is Danny Welbeck. An English International who gets goals and works well in a striker partnership. He is rated £12m on Transfermarkt but we could get him for £10 or so. He is only 22 and is a full English International.

• 112 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM

So according to Kinnear, we’re just signing 2 more strikers. We need to at least make a bid for Alderweireld. £5-6m is a bargain.

• 113 martoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM

USAGEORDIE @110 – He wouldn’t be my choice but anyway there is no way Man Utd would sell him at the moment with the uncertainty over Rooney and certainly not at that price.

• 114 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM

JToon21

I think that’s a lot of speculation there. I don’t see a symbol of ambition as buying players that might be good in a few years. Surely ambition is buying players that are good now?

Now that I believe we have the squad to establish ourselves in the top 8, hopefully we can focus more on the promising youngsters and justify buying one or two of them and introducing them slowly. But I just don’t think we can wait 2 or 3 seasons for a £10M signing to be ready.

• 115 wolfshead@toon // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM

maybe ED could write a nice e letter to mr branson asking him to buy the club and we could all sign it ala a petition :-)

• 116 89Norcal // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Kets, got a feeling this outfit is satisfied with Saylor behind a Colo-Mbiwa partnership..

• 117 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM

@ cjtoon

unambitious, unimaginative and very disappointing is exactly how I would describe this window too. We seem to be backtracking on our policy of not signing players over the age of 26 by looking at a player in Bent has alot of baggage otherwise wouldn;t be passed between premier league teams every 2 years and is at the wrong age. Gomis is 28 and Im not saying that a player instantly becomes bad at 30 but he is hardly fresh on the scene. Im sure many will say he has experience, but there surely must be other options. Im not questioning Carr’s judgement as who I am to judge but it seems to me like the club have reveerted to type of buying players on big wages when their best seems to be behind them.

• 118 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I think Coloccini and Mbiwa are too similar in playing styles. We should’ve signed Douglas on a free. Maybe we’re still in for a centre half. We need a winger/playmaker. Cristain Eriksen would be ideal.

• 119 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM

cjtoon

Honestly…not really…I don’t play Football Manager (which is where many people seem to get their players!) and I don’t spend much time following the foreign leagues. I would have had Carroll for the right transfer fee and wages as a preference to Gomis, but I think West Ham have overpaid for him and I’m not particularly excited by Long, Rhodes or Austin.

Some of the foreign names punted around seem to fit the bill but you can never be that confident until they have actually played in the PL.

• 120 Jackel001 // Aug 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM

@NUFC_Stats: Newcastle United have made a bid in the region of £8.5m for Belgian striker Jelle Vossen of Genk. #NUFC (via @LouisPH456)

• 121 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

For instance Matej Vydra who played for Watford last year is only player I can’t undertsand why we haven’t signed. The lad is 21 scored 20goals in the Championship last year and was voted the Championship player of the Season. He clearly is good enough and can score goals and would be at a great age to be our 3rd striker.

• 122 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM

@toondarnsarf
    You are far too sensible for this blog mate!

• 123 USAGEORDIE // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM

@martoon
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they land Lewandowski or Lius Muriel of Udinese by the end of the window. I really think Moyes wants to flex his muscles and show the fans that he can get a big deal through. Rooney becomes a saga over the next year and they quietly sell Welbeck or Hernandez this summer to get a bigger name in.

• 124 Toon Tang // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM

bastarding A list and bastarding B list. what a load of old bollocks. amalgamate the 2 lists and maybe get 1 signing in before deadline day.

A list, B list my arse

• 125 Toon1978 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I read the Guardian article and it was a very good read indeed until i read the comments underneath. They have very similar thoughts to the people on this blog and my thoughts exactly. For a start, Jonas and Tiote should not be starting in the first 11 at all but i feel these two players are a favourite of Pardew’s which is no way to win matches. Anita and Marveaux SHOULD be given more of a chance but i believe Pardew does not play these lads just to spite Carr. I might be totally wrong but it seems that way. Also, our total lack of investment is very worrying. We are screaming out for more width and another striker or two. We are fine in CM we have plenty of cover there but up top and on the wings we are suffering. Cisse received ONE good cross in the second half and that was from Dummett. Cisse is starved of service and it is painful to watch. If we where to bring in another striker and a winger then things will look a lot better.

• 126 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

JToon21

What makes you think that Udinese want to sell him?

• 127 valle // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Jelle Vossen seems like a poacher, just like Cisse… Feel free to correct me on that if im wrong.

• 128 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Felipe

I know…I’m giving up and going back to something more productive…

• 129 martoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM

USAGEORDIE @123 – You could well be right but I think they would sell ‘Cheatereto’ first – not sure I would want him though.

• 130 Felipe // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Jtoon21
    What do you mean Ashley is no lo ger investingnin youth? We just signed Mabwu and Kenen. January it was Good and Haidara.

• 131 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

TDS

Thats fair enough to not be excited by those names but do Gomis and Bent excite you that much? Some really good players have moved to the prem this season and its just left me thinking why havent we been in there Bony stands out.

Also Cornelius, Austin, chadli, hooper, campana, giaccherini, fer, deulofea, altidore, anelka, redmond, muniesa, pieters, amat, aspas, luis alberto, drenthe (championship!?), luna, bacuna, helenius, lovren, okore.

Now thats a whole load of mainly young players that have moved to the premier league this window a lot of which could have really enhanced our squad and we havent been linked to any of them (not officially anyway)

Instead we now have to play agianst these and the best we are hoping for is Gomis or bent by all accounts.

Im sorry i do play Fm and watch a lot of european football as i love the game. This is why i hated last season for us so much because we played awful football.

• 132 cjtoon // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM

@ Jackie 1001

I hope thats true hes a really promising player. I would much rather have Vossen than Gomis for the same price.

I write articles for whatculture and vossen was part of an article i have been writing about players around europe that should be snapped up by PL sides.

I really hope thats true!

• 133 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM

@Felipe
    Good was signed last summer. Well if I remember correctly the first January transfer window we had under Ashley we bought in 5 young players, although these have turned out all to be disasters. We were very much following the Arsenal plan of buying young i.e 17,18,19 and then developing these players. Yes okay we signed Haidara and Kemen recently but there doesn’t seem to be a commitement to youth any more. Bearing in mind all membership fee’s and wonga are meant to be ploughed in the academy we don’t seem to have much fruit to bear for our labour. I also remember the Club were keen to sign up investors a few years to invest in the academy which seems to have dissapeared now. And i only think that Wonga said they would invest in the Academy to sort of soften the blow like they did with the naming rights and the new gates as they knew the decision would be universally unpopular with the fans.

• 134 JToon21 // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:28 PM

@ToonDarnSarf

Well there is the possibility that Udinese dont want to sell but i had heard rumours that West Brom were trying to get him on a season long loan. Most clubs don;t want to sell their best youngsters but everyone has a price.

• 135 Sazzer // Aug 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I loved the video in the Guardian link cause it’s not as bad as some say it is, at the same time it’s not the best thing either.

And on the article why should we be optimistic about 12 th place season?

• 136 stuart no9 // Aug 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM

can anyone tell me the purpose of paying so much money to watch a game of football at SJP? .

Up until Feb/ march i paid 50 quid every home game, hoping we would come good and the team / manager would sort the mess out and make SJP an exciting place to go to as i have done for the last 45 years.

At the end of last season, everyone realised something was drastically wrong, be it the team,the manager, the squad , the men at the top – something had to change- it didnt, nothing has changed.

Over the last 3 months,while other clubs were busy in the transfer market , mainly in preparation to send out the best team they could next week, we have not moved on – learnt lessons from last season.

Teams like man u- Arsenal-man c-chelsea. are preparing their teams to win the league or win the CL, even spurs are still not prepared to sell bale foe 100M such is their ambition to do well and at least try to win something.

While supporters from these clubs will be shouting their team on in hope of silverware / titles / success in europe the real purpose of following your team , what will NUFC fans be hoping for? staying in the prem – thats it.- fans will be 30-40-50quid just to watch a game of football, knowing at the end of it there will be- nothing.

Some people on this blog will shout ‘ BUT YOU MUST SUPPORT THE TEAM” your right and your wrong.

Ashley has proved this window,beyond doubt , he is not prepared to give us success. He is not prepared to to give us our moneys worth every week, he is not prepared to give the newcastle fans a hint of excitement at SJP,something i have not experienced in all my years of supporting my team , so, if they cant make an effort to repay the fans for turning up week in- week out, for making them attend a football match , where the owner dosnt really care if we win or lose, as long as we dont go down( as ashley would weep in his beer if he lost the tv revenue about 70M , the same 70M he got this season that us fans will probably never see unless come xmas and we are bottom ) what is our reason for shouting the team on ? it is not to look forward to europe, ashley dosnt want it, it is to get excited about winning the league, ashley dosnt want it, winning a cup perhaps? naa pardew dosnt want it or know how to do it ( brighton/ stevenage?????) so what is there left to go for? nothing! i have decided not to go again, to pay 50 quid JUST to watch a game of football. -would man u- arsenal-man c chelsea fans go to support their team if they KNEW before the season started that their owner has decided he is not interested in winning anything and that IF the supporters wanted to go it would be simply to watch a game of football on a saturday with no chance of honours ? of course they wouldnt ! why should we ??????

previous post: Everybody Is Strong And Fit – I’m Satisfied With Pre-Season