Newcastle Preparing Bid For Striker On “B” List

There were rumors yesterday that Newcastle had bid around £8.5M for Belgian Intentional striker Jelle Vossen, so we put out a report on the striker, but there was no real news on Newcastle’s interest in the striker (so what’s new?).

jelle vossen 98

Jelle Vossen – £7M Newcastle bid for Belgian

It seems these days that either Joe Kinnear or Alan Pardew or both will speak out about the strikers we are interested in,  but silence from the two of them for a change.

The Daily News is reporting Newcastle will bid £7M for the 5’11” striker this week, but maybe the 8.5M was in euros and that converts to around £7.2M.

And that seems a more believable fee, because he should come cheaper than Bafe Gomis, and we were going to pay over the odds in any case for the 28 year-old French International.

Here’s some information we put together on Jelle yesterday, and we assume he’s near the top of Joe’s B list of strikers:

He became a starter at Genk in 2008 but was loaned out to Cercle Brugge for the 2009-2010 season, and he scored 8 goals in 21 appearances there, and in fact over the last three seasons at Genk he has scored 65 goals in 110 appearances – not bad at all.

In his career at Genk he has 148 total appearances and 78 goals in seven seasons he’s spent there.

Last season he scored 14 goals in only 21 appearances for his club side,and he has played for all the Belgian Youth sides from U15 through U21 (8 appearances) and he’s played 11 times for the full Belgium side with two goals.

The news is that Newcastle have given up on Bafe Gomis, but we wonder if that’s really true – since we were so near to signing him and he’s desperate to join Newcastle – what do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I think this one has already been discredited. No interest from Newcastle for Vossen? I saw it as a quote from a Danish reporter on another blog.

• jazzyp

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Evening all
    Felipe I like your optimism mate for the new season-keep it up

• Harley

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Anyone know anything about him? Is he fast?

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM

It should be an interesting championship season. My early bet is that Watford, Blackpool and QPR will get promoted. I can’t see it for Wigan or Notts Forest. You never know about Wigan though and I think it was intelligent to appoint Coyle. He’ll be very ambitious to get back to the Prem and I think he’s a decent manager with a good attitude. He’ll have some of the money given to the relegated teams to work with as well. Ok, maybe I’ll change my prediction to Watford, Wigan and QPR 🙂 Such is the value of predictions.

• Bearsize

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM

He was fast once he seen jfk comin towards him

• JackButler

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Harley

He’s not the quickest player around but decent enough

• jazzyp

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM

JB
    The operative word there is decent !!……which is what we are settling for once again.

• tekkers2402

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Hasn’t this story already been dismissed. It started on twitter by some dick called “soccer sauce” which in itself tells you it’s more than likely absolute bollocks! Now the lazy tabloids pick it up with no real evidence he’s even a target.

• JackButler

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

jazzyp

Didn’t expect anything else to be honest, for better than decent you have to pay good money or get lucky

• geordie157

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM

just seen on skysports site about us refused 3 offers from Crewe for Inman. He’s refused to sign a contract, so he’s in limbo now.

Not sure how it works with out of contract players we can get compensation for, can’t we just put a sell clause in the deal.

• jazzyp

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Tekkers
    I think we are going to be linked with every forward on the planet as everyone knows the dire state of our CF line up.

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I really like the championship. I’m actually giving that Bt sport channel a miss, because I’d rather watch the championship match, instead of boring premiership matches like Man Utd v Hull lol

• NUFC FOR SALE

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Got it on good authority from a club insider that Cabaye is gone. .. won’t tell me where to be he will definitely be gone by the end of the window with debuchy likely to follow.
    We should have kept Simpson 🙁

• JackButler

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Why aren’t we looking at Shane Long?

He’s in the last year of his contract and would do a good job for us

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM

His agents already denied it anyway. So it’s bollox.
    Just the virgins on twatter making stuff up as per usual.

• JackButler

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM

NUFC FOR SALE

It has been reported that PSG are readying a bid for both Cabaye and Debuchy

• geordie157

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Swindon are in talks with Nile Ranger

• jazzyp

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM

JB
    do you mind if I ask how old you are mate !!.
    the reason being I am 40 years young and spent 13 month working around Swansea-Port Talbot-Neath and Fforest-fach.
    We use to spend many nights in Swansea in a bar called Quids in on the roundabout then across to Ritzy nightclub-Oh the good old days lol

• geordie157

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM

if true, wonder how much PSG would pay for Debuchy. I’m undecided on him, seems slow and dives in too easily, although Ivanovic was a bit like that at first for Chelsea.

I’d happily sell him if the price was good and bring in Corchia.

Guessing Van Der Wiel was a poor buy.

• JackButler

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM

jazzyp

I’m 38 years young mate and I’ve had many a good night out in Swanasea!!! I only live 5 mile’s from Port Talbot.

What kind of work were you doing down here?

• wynsleap

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Ashley’s hand is closed firmly over his wallet. We can wait for ever for signings but it ain’t going to happen.
    Don’t know why he bothers having a football club but why should we be the ones to suffer?
    The place needs a take over and a clear out from top to bottom.
    Oh… forgot…. our books are balanced and there’s a 5 year plan. Yeah right!

• jazzyp

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I personally cannot see us selling Debuchy unless a massive offer came in.
    Why would we have spent all that time and effort getting him over the line to flog him after just half a season.

• Sazzer

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Yeah they can’t be happy with Van Der Wiel. Jallet plays most games.

• Novocastrian66

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Would anyone take Trippier as back up right back?

• NUFC FOR SALE

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Problem is we’re running out of time to bring in players as it is never mind having to replace more.
    I think we’re going to be sold….. Here’s hoping

• JackButler

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Debuchy has looked poor and out of his depth to be honest, hoping that he’s still settling in but he’s very rash and easily caught out of position

• geordie157

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I like trippier, last season him, byram and brayford were the stand out right backs in the championship. although Byram also played right wing quite a bit.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Don’t forget this is Debuchy’s first season technically. I remember Collo & Enrique looking a bit suspect in their first season for us, and they turned out alright.

• Thump

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM

@geordie157: Is that so? I might owe somebody an apology, in that case… though can’t for the life of me remember who.

• Thump

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM

…regarding Ranger to Swindon, I mean.

Sorry, been a long day!

• jazzyp

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM

JB
    I would say it was around 97to 99 I was down there and built a pub just off the m4 near a place called baglan……I think ??
    Then we built a school at FForest-fach then on 2 units near the footy ground across from the main beach

• paul24

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Anyone else starting to get the feeling our transfer buisness is done?.

• kilcline

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

@thump

That would be me, i told you a few days ago Swindon were in for Ranger.

• check the toastie

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

If Cabaye and Debuchy where to be sold it would rip the heart out of what is already fragile morale, we wouldn’t win another game with Pardew in charge.

So the question is, do I want Cabaye and Debuchy to go as it will quicken the demise of Pardew or is that really stupid. Think its stupid, yep defo stupid.

Anyway Pardew OUT.

• JackButler

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM

jazzyp

Hahaha it’s a small world mate, my wife is from Baglan and my brother-in-law was the manager of that football club, Afan Lido FC who are in the Welsh League

• check the toastie

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM

paul24 – nope think we could still sell Cabaye, Debuchy and Cisse, would put nothing past this crew in charge.

• jazzyp

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Big papa
    Enrique was shocking in his first season like you say and ended up forming a cracking partnership with Gutti.
    To be honest as soon as he was sold to scouseland Gutti has been on a downward spiral ever since.

• kilcline

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM

@Jack Butler

Firstly, you are a great poster, always enjoy reading your views.

Shane Long would be a great signing, i would have gone for Vydra myself but hopefully Long might not be required now Brom have got Vydra.

• geordie157

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM

yep, apparently Millwall and another championship side are also looking at Ranger, pending his court case result of course.

1 2 3 8