Newcastle Bid £5M For Top Belgian Center-Back

Newcastle are reported to be after 24 year-old Ajax center-back Toby Alderweireld, who Newcastle have been tracking for two years now, and the news is in the Daily Mail.

Toby Alderweireld 987

Toby Alderweireld – 24 year-old Belgian International

Toby has been at Ajax since 2004, when he was just 15 year-old and played in the Ajax side with Jan Vertonghen, who left Ajax for Tottenham Hotspur last summer.

The report is that Everton have made an enquiry about the player, while Norwich City have already had a bid accepted for the defender, who is said to be definitely leaving Ajax this summer.

Chris Hughton is certainly going gangbusters at Norwich City having signed some excellent players already this summer for the East Anglia side

And the news is that Russian club Spartak Moscow have also had an offer of £5M accepted for the Belgian International, so that’s certainly within Newcastle’s budget for a player who fits into the profile of players Newcastle want to sign.

The Daily Mail is reporting that Newcastle are ready make an offer, and if Newcastle can indeed bring this lad in, we would expect Mike Williamson to be sold to recoup some of the £5M fee Newcastle would need to pay out for the 24 times capped Belgian International.

We think 6’1″ tall Toby Alderweireld would be a great signing for Newcastle, especially at just £5M and the lad can play at center-back or full-back, and would further strengthen the Newcastle defense, which has been our weakness over the last few seasons.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• SecretSausage

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Gomis deal appears dead but thats not the truth. Thats why we arn’t after anybody else yet. They still think the people providing the problems to the deal will relent as pressure builds later in the window. Sissoko has been told not to tweet anything more from or about his mate.

Interesting.

• Rooster

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

This kid would be a really good signing, no doubts, but yet again its the 100 question marks that come with anyone we are trying to sign, I suppose its positive news but the downside is the negative that normaly follows a day or so later.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Never heard of him…you would have thought he would have got a mention on here if he was any good…

• Rowan Milsted

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Wow, Ed’s on it now! Got the internet back methinks…

Re the last post, Manuel Fernandes looks very good from his stats (all I’ve got to go on) but he does have a bad injury record… which would give him plenty to talk about with most of our boys.

As for this story, it would be great if it’s true and we really do need a CB but as the report is coming from the Mail I won’t hold my breath.

Statement of the day has to go to Ed for his ‘Chris Hughton is certainly going gangbusters’ comment above. Made me chuckle!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM

If it were true – not saying it is – then please ship out Willo 🙂

…all we need now is a forward, an upgrade for Obertan and for Gos (great lad, but I don’t see him having a future here)

• Ibizatoon

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Jesper…But is that really “all we need”? 😉

• Rowan Milsted

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Ibiza

There are Newcastle fans living under rocks in the desert who haven’t even heard of the internet who will still have managed to hear about this guy!

Perhaps the ‘reporters’ who work for the Mail just skimmed the blog and decided to do a report on the most blogged about player. Would be nice if it’s true though…

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I think we are done this window. No new incomings.

If we are in the relegation zone in January, then expect panic signings. If we are hovering in mid table, then no signings in January too.

Our new transfer model under Ashley.

Believe it or not.

• Our Toon

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM

REPOST!!

Manual Fernandes, some of you are saying great stats, where is he playing…..oh Turkey great, look at his record in England people!! 31 games (incl 7 Sub) 2 goals and 4 assists. It’s all good being fantastic in Turkey but playmaker he is not and a shocking replacement for Cabaye if true

Partizan, we are bottom in relation to spending this season….We have a decent squad and a very poor manager along with an awful coaching staff!! Thats a fact, Klopp bought big and contiues to do so (along with a fanatstic youth set up), at the toon he would have to break even every year. You mentioned Swansea, they won a trophy and have a manager who actually likes to play football and not kick n rush, they are currently miles ahead of us as in terms of players, other teams have caught us up by investing. We havent learned anything from standing still in the market place as we did last season.

• Bearsize

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Another non starter! Would mean we had to sign him. The board will use this to buy more time to get to the end of the window. They have showed they can get deals done quickly. The ones that drag on are the smokescreens to pretend to spend. I know this coz i am pardew 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Ibiza…and world peace? 😀

• Indian Magpie

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I agree with Ilovetoon

• Barton

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

More chance of me baring my backside in Fenwicks window than Cashley buying us anyone.Remy will be only signing mark my words,he’s the Ba replacement,there be no one else in!!

• geordiemark

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

he would be an excellent signing but will it happen though, hes a damn sight better then taylor thats for sure never mind williamson

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Ibiza…you still owe me a penny or a thought from yesterday (you disappeared mate 😉 )

• Spoof

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

£5m is a steel for this lad, one of the best CB’s in Europe, why the hell the Mancs, Chelsea and all the other top sides aren’t in for him is a mystery, by the way, what Ed forgot to mention is that he is now in the last year of his contract, which is why he is so cheap and probably why we are being linked to him.

• Rowan Milsted

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Pardew talking of ‘massive offers’ re Cabaye on SSN. I hate the transfer window…

Our Toon

I spotted that too. He wasn’t in the starting lineup for a lot of the games… it was a fair few years ago so maybe he’s improved a lot since then? He had a groin injury during the last season he was in the Prem too.

• Pokat

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Everyone in the World –
    “Whats that you say, Mr Pardew?”

Pardew –

“I SAID WE’VE HAD NO OFFERS FOR CABAYE YET! NONE I SAY! DID YOU HEAR THAT EVERYONE? NONE!”

Shurrup man.

• geordiemark

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM

we need a striker, a ball playing midfielder, a central defender and a left back, ive a feeling ashley will cash in on cabaye and his left back mate

• Rowan Milsted

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Apologies for serial posting but SSN Live Transfer Clockwatch have just started a poll for which club will make the most signings before the transfer window closes… and we’re one of the 5 teams! Just thought I’d share as I find that hilarious.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

geordiemark…I would say a right back not a left back?

• Ibizatoon

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Rowan…Moving on from my sarcasm, I would like to inquire about these Newcastle fans living under rocks in the desert. How can I find these people?

I think I read a few days ago that he was linked with Liverpool, Arsenal and some one or other…seems about right that we’re now mentioned.

Be great if it happened, I wont be holding my breath though.

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Indian Magpie // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I agree with Ilovetoon
    —————–

Sad state of affairs in our club. Ashley is content as long as we are near the mid table.

Swansea and Southampton are in a better state than us now. Us beating them now, is considered an upset.

• geordiemark

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

jesperfuglsang – captain of the lemon crew

yep your right sorry about that

• Pokat

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Mike I need player X and player Y

Mike – OK. How much?

Alan – £20mil.

Mike – spits coffee – yeah sure thing. sell an expensive player but one who can be replaced and you can go shopping with Joe.

Alan – Mmmm. OK. Deal!

• Spoof

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

geordiemark

we are well off for left backs, Cabaye’s left back mate is actually a right back, but we know what you mean, you just got your left’s and right’s muxed ip, never mind it happens to us all lol

• Slank

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

jesperfuglsang

Many thanks for posting The Swiss Ramble.

It is truly fascinating reading. I recommend everyone to read it especially the section on Newcastle.

It puts to bed all those arguments from fans about our finances now and before Ashley took over.

Cheers

• Ibizatoon

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Jesper…Ah yes, world peace 🙂 Perhaps we can work on blog peace first and then take on the world?

So…a penny or a thought…do you have a PayPal account?

• Klatoon

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Our toon

When Fernandes 1st played in the prem he was still a young lad starting out in his career so its abit unrealistic to judge him on his stats then. But the most impressive thing about is not even his stats but style of play, he’s got great drive and dynamism plus a great dead ball expertise which means he’d solve alot of problems for us

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

geordiemark…no prob mate 😉

…but I agree with your estimate

• Spoof

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Ibiza

blog peace, is that actually possible ?

• Ibizatoon

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Slank / Jesper…Which link? Sounds an interesting one.

Does it show where the AC money went? 🙂

Don’t let the AC joke make my initial comment seem insincere, I am genuinely intrigued.

• geordiemark

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Spoof

am getting old hahaha

• Ibizatoon

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Spoof…I’m not sure, maybe it would be easier to start with world peace?

• paul24

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I hope we dont go for Manuel Fernandes, he’s playing in Turkey for a reason. As for Toby Alderweireld, I cant see the transfer fee or his wages being an issue, but i cant see why he would want to come to NUFC and sit on the bench.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Slank…I stumble upon the blog a few years ago; back then I didn’t know much about finances just a few basics (probably still don’t haha)…

…but it was really insightful to read the Swiss Ramble – and always is when I hear certain bloggers on here who shall be named nameless go on and on about our finances and so forth 🙂

• geordiemark

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

paul24

its easy Alderweireld can take taylors place

• Spoof

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

It was an interesting read Jesper, however I have read shorter books, shame they couldn’t do a highlights version ?

• Slank

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

ilovetoon8788 @ 23

‘….Swansea and Southampton are in a better state than us now..’.

It would be more appropriate to ask that question at the end of season.

Buying lots of players doesn’t guarantee success on the pitch. If it did, QPR wouldn’t have been relegated and we would have shot up the table after the Winter window closed.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Ibiza…I sure do mate 😉

…but I would prefer a thought? Now speak!