The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Bid £5M For Top Belgian Center-Back

11:15 am, Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 104 Comments

Newcastle are reported to be after 24 year-old Ajax center-back Toby Alderweireld, who Newcastle have been tracking for two years now, and the news is in the Daily Mail.

Toby Alderweireld 987

Toby Alderweireld – 24 year-old Belgian International

Toby has been at Ajax since 2004, when he was just 15 year-old and played in the Ajax side with Jan Vertonghen, who left Ajax for Tottenham Hotspur last summer.

The report is that Everton have made an enquiry about the player, while Norwich City have already had a bid accepted for the defender, who is said to be definitely leaving Ajax this summer.

Chris Hughton is certainly going gangbusters at Norwich City having signed some excellent players already this summer for the East Anglia side

And the news is that Russian club Spartak Moscow have also had an offer of £5M accepted for the Belgian International, so that’s certainly within Newcastle’s budget for a player who fits into the profile of players Newcastle want to sign.

The Daily Mail is reporting that Newcastle are ready make an offer, and if Newcastle can indeed bring this lad in, we would expect Mike Williamson to be sold to recoup some of the £5M fee Newcastle would need to pay out for the 24 times capped Belgian International.

We think 6’1″ tall Toby Alderweireld would be a great signing for Newcastle, especially at just £5M and the lad can play at center-back or full-back, and would further strengthen the Newcastle defense, which has been our weakness over the last few seasons.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

104 responses so far ↓

• 1 SecretSausage // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Gomis deal appears dead but thats not the truth. Thats why we arn’t after anybody else yet. They still think the people providing the problems to the deal will relent as pressure builds later in the window. Sissoko has been told not to tweet anything more from or about his mate.

Interesting.

• 2 Rooster // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

This kid would be a really good signing, no doubts, but yet again its the 100 question marks that come with anyone we are trying to sign, I suppose its positive news but the downside is the negative that normaly follows a day or so later.

• 3 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Never heard of him…you would have thought he would have got a mention on here if he was any good…

• 4 Rowan Milsted // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Wow, Ed’s on it now! Got the internet back methinks…

Re the last post, Manuel Fernandes looks very good from his stats (all I’ve got to go on) but he does have a bad injury record… which would give him plenty to talk about with most of our boys.

As for this story, it would be great if it’s true and we really do need a CB but as the report is coming from the Mail I won’t hold my breath.

Statement of the day has to go to Ed for his ‘Chris Hughton is certainly going gangbusters’ comment above. Made me chuckle!

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM

If it were true – not saying it is – then please ship out Willo :)

…all we need now is a forward, an upgrade for Obertan and for Gos (great lad, but I don’t see him having a future here)

• 6 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Jesper…But is that really “all we need”? ;)

• 7 Rowan Milsted // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Ibiza

There are Newcastle fans living under rocks in the desert who haven’t even heard of the internet who will still have managed to hear about this guy!

Perhaps the ‘reporters’ who work for the Mail just skimmed the blog and decided to do a report on the most blogged about player. Would be nice if it’s true though…

• 8 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I think we are done this window. No new incomings.

If we are in the relegation zone in January, then expect panic signings. If we are hovering in mid table, then no signings in January too.

Our new transfer model under Ashley.

Believe it or not.

• 9 Our Toon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM

REPOST!!

Manual Fernandes, some of you are saying great stats, where is he playing…..oh Turkey great, look at his record in England people!! 31 games (incl 7 Sub) 2 goals and 4 assists. It’s all good being fantastic in Turkey but playmaker he is not and a shocking replacement for Cabaye if true

Partizan, we are bottom in relation to spending this season….We have a decent squad and a very poor manager along with an awful coaching staff!! Thats a fact, Klopp bought big and contiues to do so (along with a fanatstic youth set up), at the toon he would have to break even every year. You mentioned Swansea, they won a trophy and have a manager who actually likes to play football and not kick n rush, they are currently miles ahead of us as in terms of players, other teams have caught us up by investing. We havent learned anything from standing still in the market place as we did last season.

• 10 Bearsize // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Another non starter! Would mean we had to sign him. The board will use this to buy more time to get to the end of the window. They have showed they can get deals done quickly. The ones that drag on are the smokescreens to pretend to spend. I know this coz i am pardew :)

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Ibiza…and world peace? :D

• 12 Indian Magpie // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I agree with Ilovetoon

• 13 Barton // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

More chance of me baring my backside in Fenwicks window than Cashley buying us anyone.Remy will be only signing mark my words,he’s the Ba replacement,there be no one else in!!

• 14 geordiemark // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

he would be an excellent signing but will it happen though, hes a damn sight better then taylor thats for sure never mind williamson

• 15 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Ibiza…you still owe me a penny or a thought from yesterday (you disappeared mate ;) )

• 16 Spoof // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

£5m is a steel for this lad, one of the best CB’s in Europe, why the hell the Mancs, Chelsea and all the other top sides aren’t in for him is a mystery, by the way, what Ed forgot to mention is that he is now in the last year of his contract, which is why he is so cheap and probably why we are being linked to him.

• 17 Rowan Milsted // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Pardew talking of ‘massive offers’ re Cabaye on SSN. I hate the transfer window…

Our Toon

I spotted that too. He wasn’t in the starting lineup for a lot of the games… it was a fair few years ago so maybe he’s improved a lot since then? He had a groin injury during the last season he was in the Prem too.

• 18 Pokat // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Everyone in the World –
    “Whats that you say, Mr Pardew?”

Pardew –

“I SAID WE’VE HAD NO OFFERS FOR CABAYE YET! NONE I SAY! DID YOU HEAR THAT EVERYONE? NONE!”

Shurrup man.

• 19 geordiemark // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM

we need a striker, a ball playing midfielder, a central defender and a left back, ive a feeling ashley will cash in on cabaye and his left back mate

• 20 Rowan Milsted // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Apologies for serial posting but SSN Live Transfer Clockwatch have just started a poll for which club will make the most signings before the transfer window closes… and we’re one of the 5 teams! Just thought I’d share as I find that hilarious.

• 21 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

geordiemark…I would say a right back not a left back?

• 22 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Rowan…Moving on from my sarcasm, I would like to inquire about these Newcastle fans living under rocks in the desert. How can I find these people?

I think I read a few days ago that he was linked with Liverpool, Arsenal and some one or other…seems about right that we’re now mentioned.

Be great if it happened, I wont be holding my breath though.

• 23 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Indian Magpie // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I agree with Ilovetoon
    —————–

Sad state of affairs in our club. Ashley is content as long as we are near the mid table.

Swansea and Southampton are in a better state than us now. Us beating them now, is considered an upset.

• 24 geordiemark // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

jesperfuglsang – captain of the lemon crew

yep your right sorry about that

• 25 Pokat // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Mike I need player X and player Y

Mike – OK. How much?

Alan – £20mil.

Mike – spits coffee – yeah sure thing. sell an expensive player but one who can be replaced and you can go shopping with Joe.

Alan – Mmmm. OK. Deal!

• 26 Spoof // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

geordiemark

we are well off for left backs, Cabaye’s left back mate is actually a right back, but we know what you mean, you just got your left’s and right’s muxed ip, never mind it happens to us all lol

• 27 Slank // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

jesperfuglsang

Many thanks for posting The Swiss Ramble.

It is truly fascinating reading. I recommend everyone to read it especially the section on Newcastle.

It puts to bed all those arguments from fans about our finances now and before Ashley took over.

Cheers

• 28 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Jesper…Ah yes, world peace :) Perhaps we can work on blog peace first and then take on the world?

So…a penny or a thought…do you have a PayPal account?

• 29 Klatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Our toon

When Fernandes 1st played in the prem he was still a young lad starting out in his career so its abit unrealistic to judge him on his stats then. But the most impressive thing about is not even his stats but style of play, he’s got great drive and dynamism plus a great dead ball expertise which means he’d solve alot of problems for us

• 30 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

geordiemark…no prob mate ;)

…but I agree with your estimate

• 31 Spoof // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Ibiza

blog peace, is that actually possible ?

• 32 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Slank / Jesper…Which link? Sounds an interesting one.

Does it show where the AC money went? :)

Don’t let the AC joke make my initial comment seem insincere, I am genuinely intrigued.

• 33 geordiemark // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Spoof

am getting old hahaha

• 34 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Spoof…I’m not sure, maybe it would be easier to start with world peace?

• 35 paul24 // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I hope we dont go for Manuel Fernandes, he’s playing in Turkey for a reason. As for Toby Alderweireld, I cant see the transfer fee or his wages being an issue, but i cant see why he would want to come to NUFC and sit on the bench.

• 36 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Slank…I stumble upon the blog a few years ago; back then I didn’t know much about finances just a few basics (probably still don’t haha)…

…but it was really insightful to read the Swiss Ramble – and always is when I hear certain bloggers on here who shall be named nameless go on and on about our finances and so forth :)

• 37 geordiemark // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

paul24

its easy Alderweireld can take taylors place

• 38 Spoof // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

It was an interesting read Jesper, however I have read shorter books, shame they couldn’t do a highlights version ?

• 39 Slank // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

ilovetoon8788 @ 23

‘….Swansea and Southampton are in a better state than us now..’.

It would be more appropriate to ask that question at the end of season.

Buying lots of players doesn’t guarantee success on the pitch. If it did, QPR wouldn’t have been relegated and we would have shot up the table after the Winter window closed.

• 40 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Ibiza…I sure do mate ;)

…but I would prefer a thought? Now speak!

• 41 martoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM

An earlier poster (sorry I’ve forgotten who) said JFK has a transfer budget of £20m. This actually seems quite possible if you think of who we have been linked with:
    £2m Remy loan
    £10m Gomis or A.N. Other striker
    £5m Bent or Alderweireld or Other rumours.
    Add a bit on for agents fee and JFK’s bar bill :) and there you are. So maybe lack of transfer activity is not down to MA’s tightness but JFK’s competency.

• 42 foggonridiculous // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM

@ Ibiza

You could write a song about it….

Imagine that?

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

For you Ibiza ;)

• 44 Belfast // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Fluck signing a centre half. We need a striker

• 45 geordiemark // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM

jesperfuglsang – captain of the lemon crew

I am one who has a go about our finances under ashley and the point id like to put is this, with all the money from sky plus advertising why havent they not signed the players they should have signed, over the years ashley did point out that he would spend 20m a season on players ive never seen him go anywhere near that amount in any season bar maybe this january because he had to so where has all the money from transfer sales and money coming in gone since ashley took over the club

• 46 roy // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM

To all the depressives signings are imminent. Hernandez, ince are certs. Now post the piggin comment!

• 47 Klatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Offtopic but when did England ditch Umbro for Nike? Seen pics from the 21′s game and they are in Nike kit. Always wanted Nike to make the toon kit.

• 48 He cannit see man // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Great player but I have absolutely zero confidence in JFK to get anything done sadly.

When he was appointed at the club I was a ‘I’ll judge him on the job he does’ type of person, and so far he has done f all and my patience has been tested.

There’s no doubt in my mind Remy will be a great player for us, and I’m still slightly surprised he even managed to pull that one off, but he doesn’t seem to operate with any confidence in the transfer window and I think its going to take a miracle for any fans to have any sort of faith in that man being in charge of our signings.

• 49 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Alderweireld, Fernandes if they are good enough – stop FARTING about and get them in post haste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    along with a striker – then we will be set

• 50 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

foggonridiculous…about world peace? or NUFC fans hiding under a rock in the dessert? lol

• 51 foggonridiculous // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

….get somebody famous from the sixties to sing it…

what was his name…

J……something

that’s it Joe Kinnear

• 52 Spoof // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

paul and geordiemark

if we did sign Alerweirald, many would assume that Taylor would make way as well he might, but out of Taylor, Colo and Mbiwa imo Mbiwa is the best of the lot, so not only would Taylor’s place be in jeapardy but so would Colo’s, Alderweirald and Mbiwa are both better than Colo, so what would happen to the skipper

• 53 He cannit see man // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM

@spoof

Preparing for life without Colo after next season?

Or is it silly of me to assume Newcastle would ‘prepare’ for anything these days!

• 54 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Klatoon…September 12 of last year!

…Nike owned Umbro, but sold it to the Iconix Brand Group!

• 55 Scottiedog // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Ed!! Newcastle Bid £5M For Top Belgian Center-Back ??? Your blog said we may be interested in him as he meets a requirement so how the hell can you put as a header “Newcastle Bid £5M For Top Belgian Center-Back” when we clearly haven’t!!!

• 56 foggonridiculous // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

…imagine there’s no signings….

it isn’t hard to do….

no bent or Alderweireld

…..no Gomis too…

….imagine all the poeple…..

living for the day…..

you may say that I’m deluded

…but I’m not the only one….

• 57 toon kk // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

He’ll be a decent signing, any good player is a bonus. But we NEED strikers to score goals and win games also a winger with pace, trouble is MA doesn’t want to spend to buy them he’d rather gamble hoping we don’t get injuries with what we’ve got.

• 58 paul24 // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

@geordiemark 37

But Taylor is a guaranteed starter in Pardews eyes, we could sign Thiago Silva and he’d end up on bench.

• 59 foggonridiculous // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

It won’t happen…

I reckon JfK’s more likely to sing “Help!”

• 60 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM

foggon…Imagine all the bloggers, living life in peace, woo hoo oo oo, you may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one…

Something like that maybe?

Jesper…Thank you. I will make sure no one else clicks on it. IT’S MINE! GET BACK!

So…a thought…It’s probably been covered by most on here, but I find myself quite deflated considering the season is about to kick off. No real expectations, no serious hope (there is always some mild hope with me ;) ), just all a little “meh” really.

I am just hoping that the powers that be pull something out of the bag…I have also hoped for a day down at the beach this summer….so far, not so good :)

Slank…It will be interesting to see how things work out this season. I do think given our current negative mindset (not a dig at anyone, just reality), that we may be guilty of giving others a bit more credit than deserved and possible, maybe, even just a tiny bit, be discrediting ourselves…but only a little.

I’m expecting the margins between “success” and “failure”, whatever they may be, to be once again extremely thin.

Are we due for a bit of luck again this season? All teams need it at some point.

• 61 Klatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

aah, explains the Citeh switch too then

• 62 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Foggon…Depressing, but bravo :)

• 63 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

geordiemark…the last figures released from the club showed the money is still there!

…don’t know what he his saving for ;) maybe the numbers later this year will show. Some have suggested he is making ready for a sale?

…if the numbers show he’s taking back what we own him I think he might be ready to jump ship (maybe it’s all wishful thinking.

I don’t think he is going to spend his own money…ever on Newcastle mate, regardless of what he has or has not promised. He is not liked up here (I don’t like him either), so why should he?

• 64 Our Toon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Klatoon I think he has all the attributes you have listed and yes he was young when he was in the Premier league, (23/24 years old) all his attributes you have listed we already have in other players including Cabaye, he is and never will be better than Cabaye. I just don’t see what he improves us on when other player in the team i.e Sissoko do the same thing.

I’d be very surprised if we bought anyone one in without selling a purple first which I frimly believe will happen. Cabaye didnt have a good season but then again not many did, mainly because of the manager, Fernandes would be rendered useless under this current regime’s hoofball

• 65 Slank // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM

geordiemark @ 45

Having read the Swiss Ramble it looks like the revenue stream (apart from Sky and league position) is very poor and possibly wouldn’t support the team we currently have at the moment.

It looks like the club is very dependent upon success on the field to climb the league and get into Europe to generate the level of cash required to maintain and recruit good quality players.

• 66 geordiemark // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

jesperfuglsang – captain of the lemon crew

yes thats my thoughts on it to hes ready to sell up and bugger off good sooner he collects his money the better

• 67 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Would be a fantastic signing
    Can’t see it happening
    Especially when kinnear phones ajax and offers £5 million for Toby Allthepies

• 68 North Atlantic Magpie // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

We really need a central defender. Saylor isn’t good enough. If Pardew starts Saylor over Mapou against Man City I will be mad.

• 69 paul24 // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

@jesperfuglsang

As far as i’m concerned he can take all of the TV money from next few seasons and do one, hell he can take money from any of our other forms of income aswell if it gets him out the door quicker.

• 70 foggonridiculous // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

@ Ibiza…

ta

…before I’m tazered to death for perceived negativity it’s meant to be light-hearted banter.

I remain hopeful we WILL get somebody over this mystical line…

Instead of a song maybe a movie:

“Indiana Joe and the White line of Torture”

• 71 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Ibiza…so you haven’t been your usual “peeping tom self” down by a wi-fi café by the beach?

…what an outrage!!! ;)

*Do you want me to speak to your Boss?

• 72 Thump // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM

@foggon(54): *slow clap*

• 73 Spoof // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Ibiza

people love to knock and be negative, last season was awful but there were reasons, lack of sense in the summer, too many games and injuries, but this belief by some that we are weaker than 12 months ago is nonsense, Harper, Ba, Simpson, Perch out, Haidara, Mbiwa, Debuchy, Sissoko, Gouffran and Remy in, there is no comparison, we are much stronger, the biggest concern is Pardew’s insistance that we play Ben Arfa central, Sissoko right wing and Cabaye holding, swap these 3 around and we will be fine.

• 74 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Slank
    If that’s the case why the hell aren’t we seeing anything from the club to push us up the league!

• 75 geordiemark // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM

slank

yes well if thats true youd think ashley would hammer pardew for his inept tactics probably why kinnear is around to mess up the waterworks as to say but things have to improve on last season or this season we could go down, striker, winger, ball playing midfielder, RIGHT BACK haha and a central defender then id not worry to much about our prospects this season

• 76 lesh // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Why is it we’re always reported as ‘ready make an offer’ or ‘preparing an offer’?

Why don’t we just make the frissing offers and take it from there? We seem to be pi$$Ing about so much that players go elsewhere, to big clubs like er Norwich, Swansea, Cardiff.

Do these idiots presiding over the shambles that is Newcastle United not realise that spending a few million now might just mean we don’t lose £50m or more if we’re relegated!

• 77 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Paul24/geordiemark…the quicker MA is out the door the better for everyone!

…it would be the best thing happening to this fine club in a long long time!

• 78 Klatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Our toon, Im only considering him as a replacement for Cabs . Who would you suggest seeing as he’s almost certainly leaving.

• 79 geordiemark // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

lesh

ashley only thinks on them terms when were in the relegation dog fight in january for him to act

• 80 toon kk // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM

We’re in for a long hard season struggling once the injuries set in and they will. All the clubs around us are preparing but us. It’s such an issue getting players in, obviously no preparation and penny pinching.
    Best way to describe us is Joke club.

• 81 RonVanDam // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Hey kets, where are you. Your bf made the news lol.

On a serious note, JK should go all out on him, for 5m, 24yrs old and already class is a steal. Would be a perfect replacement for colo. Whatever budget JK has, he should use it, starting with Toby

• 82 Slank // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Ibizatoon @ 58

Having read the pundit predictions for the coming season the consensus (apart from two journos who think we will get relegated) is that we will finish between 8 and 12, which I think is about right.

The top four will be the usual suspects. The next four are likely to be Liverpool, Spurs and Everton.

• 83 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Spoof…With a new season comes new opportunity. I am still telling myself that there will be changes this upcoming season, with regards to our approach to games, even if pre-season hasn’t really shown that. It is pre-season for a reason and maybe with the injuries and fitness problems of last year, that was number 1 priority this summer. It may also be a case of Pardew not knowing who he will still have come September 1st, so wants as many people ready to play if needed.

Anyway, here’s to the new season. I’m going to go and cry a little :)

Jesper…I know, it’s terrible right? Please do speak to my boss, he goes by the name Ibizatoon, he is a major tw@ ;)

foggon…I can see an “Indiana Joe and the…” series of jokes continuing on the blog :)

• 84 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Leah
    God you talk some crap
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to just go and put a bid in!
    Or just go and do anything in fact! Take me I’m ready for some lunch and I’m heavily considering making a sandwich and I’m preparing myself to go and make one,
    But to suggest I can merely go and make that sandwich is simply stupid! ;)

• 85 Belfast // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Think he’ll go to Spurs tbh. He’s already turned down a move to Norwich apparently

• 86 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

tads…that is a very good question! Even from a financial point of view the decisions MA makes, makes no sense what so ever!

If one takes a look a revenue he will see a major gab between us and Spurs; and have to we make that gab smaller? we do that by finishing high in the league each season and by playing in Europe every year.

I made a reference to Novo Nordisk the other day, which basically shows our problem or even opportunity! but I think it went unnoticed.

• 87 Spoof // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Slank you said the next four are likely to be Liverpool, Spurs and Everton, that’s 3, who is the fourth, the suspense is killing me lol

• 88 Pokat // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Theres no doubt finances are sound at NUFC, but it doesn’t explain business aims or motive. I think finances are sound because Ashley had to stop the bleeding debt (interest on mortgages and loans) to protect his investment,not to salvage our glorious toon. Europe is a gateway in finance terms, like jumping through the next income tax band, you have to make a big leap in earnings or you will actually go backwards for a while as the higher rate kicks in. This is where I think Ashley is. The will consolidate rather than push, turn over assets and manage profits and make the club an always-saleable proposition. There’s no ambition really, europe will come our way as a by-product of our cheapskate trading, unfortunately dallying with relegattion is equally as possible.

• 89 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Ibiza…yeah I know him; not a big fan either!

…I’ll have a word with that tw@t later ;) lol

• 90 pawl250 // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Hope its true, but not likely…. hardly a credible source.

Of course even it is true does not mean we actually will get him, given his apparent high self esteem.

I think Gomis deal is gone, unless Lyon drop the fee we are paying to compensate whoever is asking for money. We will see.

Hoping for a striker though.

Gouffran, Cisse, Remy, Shola, Campbell looks weak to me.

• 91 toon kk // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM

MA clearly wants to sell Cabs, he wants money in his account thats more important than buying.

• 92 Rowan Milsted // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Ibizatoon

I forget exactly where but you could always ask Kinnear. It’s the bit-of-ground-under-a-rock he vacated when we offered him the DoF job.

Ha, ‘Ask Kinnear’ … could be like the new ‘Ask Jeeves’ but with less accurate information and a lot more swearing.

Slank

I think that it’s going to be incredibly tight this season between about 6th and 12th. A couple of wins could make a huge difference in the final PL standings. Saints need a striker and Swans have Europa to worry about; Everton have a new boss and L’pool might not have Suarez (and if they do he’ll be playing begrudgingly) but I expect them all to be very competitive. West Brom, too.

I think that Chelsea will win it, City second and then… I’m not sure. Arse need to sign someone; if Spurs keep Bale and Arse donlt make a decent signing I can see Spurs usurping them.

As for us… I’ll say 9th.

• 93 Slank // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM

toonarmydownsouth @ Geordiemark

Reading between the lines from the figures it looks like the club were heading for self financing, helped by having no external interest charges and Ashley not taking out what was due to him, but the recent January transfers (purchase costs and wages) may have made a sizable dent in the balance sheet and took their long term plan off at a tangent. It could be that this as restricted JFK in how much he can spend.

From the figures, it looks like Ashley will not be putting any more money into the club. Also, it’s not entirely clear that he will sell anytime soon, but of course if the right offer comes in he possible will .

• 94 lesh // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

geordiemark….

You’re right and it’s absolutely crazy. What a way to go on, short term reactive managemeent

• 95 Sir Braveheart // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Two words.

Daily Mail.

• 96 Spartak Miserable // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

@53 – CORRECT!

More made up transfer bullsh*t – How can the headline say ”Newcastle Bid £5m” when the source it comes from suggest we might be might be after him.

Quite embarrasing really.

• 97 JCT // Aug 14, 2013 at 1:38 PM

He will go to a team willing to pay him £50k a week..

• 98 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Toby Alderweireld would be a steal at 5million, no guarantee we could get him, but I think we should go all out 4 him as he would complete our defence. We would have enough strength and depth.

Next, Sinclair about 5 million. I love guti’s work rate, but he’s a high earner and that’s all he has 2 offer. Sinclair will offer pace, skill, creativity, quality, hunger and a good drive.

Also if we wait till january hopefully get Gomis got for about 5 million. What a team we can be set for. Even pardew won’t be able 2 have a bad season.

Only thing we need then is replace cabaye if he goes, sadly I can’t see much of this happenin! Its more of wishful thinking on my part!

• 99 toonluvva // Aug 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Great news if we are actually interested in Toby Alderweireld. Collo can’t go on for ever. In fact I’m not sure that all of the issues from last season have been fully resolved.

Best to get his replacement in now so that he settle into the PL gradually.

• 100 breenlol // Aug 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I think we should sign Vadim Demidov aswell. Could be a good backup to Colo/Saylor.

• 101 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Haha, it’s nice to know that the club are reading my posts. It’d be a tragedy if we didn’t sign him.

• 102 Greebol1892 // Aug 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM

LOL! Kets, the one you’ve been waiting for!

I seem to vaguely recall you mentioning Alderweireld in one of your posts…….

• 103 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

You’re right. I’ve mentioned him fro over a year now. £5m is an absolute bargain. This guy is nearly as good as Jan Vertonghen. He’d be an ideal partner for Mbiwa. If he signs, all we’ll need to concentrate on now is bring 2 attacking midfielders and 2 strikers in.

• 104 ogalaga_toon // Aug 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM

How about Jordan Rhoeds?(blackburn) a good, young, british striker. transfermarkt says 10 mil. we should be able to get that done

previous post: Newcastle Reported After Portuguese International Midfielder