The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported After Portuguese International Midfielder

10:30 am, Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

According to Turkish newspaper Sabah, Newcastle United are in talks about Besiktas 27 year-old attacking midfielder Manuel Fernandes.

manuel fernendes

Manuel Fernandes - Besiktas attacking midfielder

The 9 times capped Portuguese International joined the Turkish club two years ago from Valencia for an undisclosed fee, and has only one year left of his three-year contract.

Fernandes was born in Lisbon and is an attacking central midfielder, who has good technique, fine dribbling skills and his passing is good, and he has an excellent shot from distance.

Besiktas have been trying to get a deal done for their Portuguese International, but have been unsuccessful, which is why presumably Newcastle have been alerted, and of course Newcastle have to keep tabs on central midfielders, just in case we lose Yohan Cabaye in this transfer window.

And it’s interesting that Alan Pardew recently said that he admired Portuguese players because of their skills, technique and professionalism, so it wouldn’t be too much of a surprise if Newcastle were after some Portuguese players this summer.

And Fernandes has Premier League experience too, having had loan spells at Portsmouth (2006) and Everton (2007) while he was at his first club Benfica, and another loan spell at Everton (2008) while he was at Valencia in La Liga.

Manuel joined Benfica back in 2002, and stayed there for five years before he joined Valencia in August of 2007, on a six-year contract for the Spanish side in a deal worth a massive £12M – and the deal included a £51M buy-out clause. :(

manuel fernendes poland

Fernandes in action for Portugal against Poland 18 months ago

Fernandes stayed at Valencia for four years before moving two years ago to Besiktas, and the player has also been closely linked with West Ham, Sunderland and Southampton.

There are no reports on what the fee may be for the Portuguese International play-maker, who turns 28 next February.

The right-footed player as listed as worth around £12M on the transfermarkt.co.uk web-site – but Newcastle would only pay that if they sell Cabaye for say £25M.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 Klatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

33 assists and 18 goals in 89 games. Cabaye who?

• 2 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Anyone going to be watching International football tonight?

…I am going to be watching the young guns for Denmark (we are crap these days, but I have to see what’s in store for us in the future)

* It seems Victor Fischer will be starting and so will Boilesen and of course Eriksen :)

• 3 SeanNufc87 // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Repost

Loving this me, its plain to see for everyone in the football world that pardew has essentially been put under the watchful eye of kinnear, they may say they like each other but do any of you really believe that?

Unfortunately for him he has been placed in a role that he isnt suited to in the modern game and seems to be struggling. It seems pardew knows this and adds just a little bit of pressure and spotlight to it every week, with comments like its tough but thats his job. Translated id say thats yes its hard out there but if he cant do it why is he here?

Club cant complain, its a dig in disguise as a sympathetic plea, a backhanded compliment if you will. Funny as hell imo.

• 4 Ben3arfa // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

bull.

Kinnear needs to disappear off the face of this earth

• 5 SeanNufc87 // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Also terrible for our window which makes it less funny and more depressing

• 6 investinyouthtoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM

From an earlier post.

Strange thing is regards other teams outspending us, I believe even Boro, Forest and a few other championship clubs have outspent us. Its not like were even asking the club to spend 20, or even 30 million on players. But its even rumoured that Ba has been linked with West Ham, and we aint even gonna test the water….FFS

• 7 Tinman // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Jesper, yes I will be watching England v Scotland mate.
    Cheers for posting that blog link, it was very interesting

• 8 G // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

See the tabs are saying we are going for Toby Alderwield again, I reckon he is going to Spurs myself like. From the way the Spurs sites have advanced talks it sound like he is already in the bag for them. Shame like, he would look canny in a toon top.

• 9 toon kk // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

We’re a poorly run club! MA doesn’t want to spend in this window. I don’t really blame JFK it’s Mashley that keeps changing his mind he wants money not spend it.

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Tinman…you are welcome mate :)

…I have been reading the Swiss Ramble for a few years now; I find it fascinating and are always baffled when some poster on here talk ludicrous about our finances (I admit I don’t know much about it…that was the main reason why I started following that blog)

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM

England vs. Scotland that should make for an interesting game :)

• 12 SeanNufc87 // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Cant believe we are sponsored by a morally bankrupt company!

But while im here on this blog I may as well get a wonga loan to pay for a dodgy Russian bride, find the amazing solution that gets you ripped, find out what the future is according to my hands, improve my golf swing with this one weird trick and then lose some weight by using another weird trick.

Then when im a skinny but ripped golf pro who knows the future I can use the money fromy golf career to pay off my wonga loan and me and Olga can live happily ever after buying real oak furniture…

• 13 Klatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Hope the Mackems dont get Cissokho, quality LB

• 14 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Sean…she will probably rip you off what ever there’s left ;)

• 15 SeanNufc87 // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Jesper

It will be more interesting for me, im working in Scotland! Last time I watched an England game here a Scott swung for me when I celebrated a goal, he missed as I was jumping around and this fella grabbed him and threw him out… turns out the guy was german! Couldn’t make it up!

• 16 ITUNDERASHELL // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Miguel Fernandez looks lick the real deal. He is a creative attacking midfielder who is in his prime, scores and creates goals as well as linking play from midfield to our forwards, Cisse and Remy.
    His acquisition would allow Cabaye to be sold for hopefully an extortionate fee to PSG and our weak areas strengthened.
    Central defence either Sakho or the Belgian lad at Ajax, Alderweired if that’s the correct spelling and a winger and striker.
    By the way this lad can also take excellent free kicks and corners.
    Get him in and allow Sissoko to play his natural game.

• 17 SeanNufc87 // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Jesper

Id already know that though… because my hands will have told me so.

• 18 ITUNDERASHELL // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Torq, any rumours mate!

• 19 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Sean…maybe he just had it in for you mate ;) lol

…best behave tonight then (I always thought the Scot were a peaceful people lol)

• 20 AMEOBI // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Fantastic player, i’d have him over Cabaye but I do think our central midfield is great with or without Yohan. Really fancy Gosling starting. Anyways what does JFK stand for?

• 21 Jamiemac // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM

“I’ve been very disappointed in our record in cups – especially the cup I love the most, the FA Cup.

“It’s been great to me and although I have had two disappointments in the final, both times I have come very, very close to winning it.

“The experience of the quarter-finals, semi-finals, they’re exceptional times.

“That’s the one competition this year, other than the Premier League, that we really will focus on.

• 22 Rowan Milsted // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Judging by his stats this guy sounds very good indeed.

If we are really after him I can only assume it’s because Cabaye really is off – why else would we buy a CM?

One thing I really don’t like about his stats is his injury record though. A lot of back and calf problems. He’d fit right in!

• 23 magicbus // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Cabs replacement then

• 24 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Jamie…Some good words there, hopefully they are meant and they give the FA Cup a real go.

Queue questions of why it wasn’t taken seriously in the past….

So then all, how we all doing? Any optimism ahead of Mondays opener? Even if things were going well at the minute would too many be optimistic against City away?

• 25 SecretSausage // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Gomis deal appears dead but thats not the truth. Thats why we arn’t after anybody else yet. They still think the people providing the problems to the deal will relent as pressure builds later in the window. Sissoko has been told not to tweet anything more from or about his mate.

Interesting.

• 26 Our Toon // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Great stats, where is he playing…..oh Turkey great, look at his record in England people!! 31 games (incl 7 Sub) 2 goals and 4 assists. It’s all good being fantastic in Turkey but playmaker he is not.

Partizan, we are bottom in relation to spending this season….We have a decent squad and a very poor manager along with an awful coaching staff!! Thats a fact, Klopp bought big and contiues to do so (along with a fanatstic youth set up), at the toon he would have to break even every year. You mentioned Swansea, they won a trophy and have a manager who actually likes to play football and not kick n rush, they are currently miles ahead of us as in terms of players, other teams have caught us up by investing. We havent learned anything from standing still in the market place as we did last season.

• 27 chuck // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

C’mon Ed. enough of this nonsense !

previous post: There Are Difficult Issues – But That’s Joe Kinnear’s Job