The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

There Are Difficult Issues – But That’s Joe Kinnear’s Job

10:05 am, Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

A comment that Alan Pardew made yesterday kind of stood out to us, and the Newcastle manager said that there were some difficult issues that Joe Kinnear was having to face in his first transfer window in his new job at the club – but that’s part of his job – to solve those issues.

loic remy joe kinnear

Joe Kinnear’s one success so far – signing Loic Remy – a good deal

And of course Alan is absolutely right – because transfers these days are not the simple straight forward deals they were a number of years ago.

With agents involved, they can become very complex, and you get cases where deals are not made because the agents are taking care of themselves and asking for huge fees to do the deal, and looking after themselves more than they are for their clients.

This is what Alan actually said in the Newcastle Journal about the transfer status:

“Joe’s fallen on a difficult issue. Whether he’s here or Tottenham or wherever he was going to turn up it’s tough and I sympathize with him on that.”

“But the bottom line is that’s his job to get them over the line.” “This is constant with a striker because everyone wants a striker at their football club.”

And indeed it seems that Bafe Gomis’ agents have made the deal for the French International fall through because of their exorbitant demands.

But Joe has to learn and learn quickly that he will run up against these types of complications in the transfer market, and the Newcastle manager is so right to say that’s part of Joe’s job – and let’s add to that – that ‘s why Joe gets the big money.

And with any job – as you rise through the levels you take on more responsibility – and you have bigger problems to solve – and you get extra compensation for that – that’s how it works.

Alan Pardew is well paid at Newcastle, and it’s based a lot on performance and achievement of the side, but Joe is Alan ‘s boss and the rumors were that Dennis Wise was on a cool £1M a year when he was our last Director of Football.

So let’s not have too much sympathy for Joe, it’s a tough job but that’s why he gets paid the big bucks, and he still has to deliver – big time – over the next few weeks.

And this is nothing that Joe doesn’t already know.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 nico // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

If we don’t buy anyone this season we will make a profit of somewhere in the region of 30 + million. 4 or 5 more years of that and that loan will be paid.

• 2 nico // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

JFK doesn’t know what he’s doing.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Jayphoto,
    That makes perfect sense about the other businesses being set up, I always wondered how our revenues had fallen so far behind Spurs, so Mashley may not be actually pocketing money but him and the association with SD are diverting funds away.

• 4 Klatoon // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Really hope the Fernandes links are real, coming from Turkish newspaper too,not some twatter itk. He’d add real drive and creativity from midfield; 33 assists and 18 goals in 89 games over 2 seasons for Besiktas and has prem experience with spells at Everton and Portsmouth. Though this would definitely mean Cabaye leaving.

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Does anybody know a blog called the Swiss Ramble?

If you want an insight into the finances of Newcastle United you should visit the blog. Here is a quick link:

• 6 paul24 // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I’m not suprised we are struggling to get anyone in, put yourself in a players position, if you turned up for a meeting about a transfer and JFK was there would you be in a hurry to sign?.

• 7 papscrunt // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Maybe Ashley got Joe because he knew he’d make him a tidy profit. All of our top players would want to leave and we’d make a tidy sum on them. And no great players would want to sign after meeting him. Again saving loads of cash.

• 8 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

If I hear “over the line” from Pardew I will explode.

• 9 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

paul…if I were a player I would always ask my agent to find out who runs the club (Owner, DoF and Manager)

…looking at NUFC I would not be in a hurry to sign unless the money were too good to be true ;) lol

• 10 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

If I hear “over the line” once more from Pardew I will explode

• 11 Jamiemac // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

pawl

I like your signings but I feel your teams are too attacking and don’t cover our defence too well. Need Tiote/Anita in there to cover the defence

• 12 nut meg // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Paw1250

I’m a fan of Wjnaldum as well & I am also of the opinion that we are DESPERATE for a creative player to link the play up & score goals. So I will give these stats for the guy I would like to get brought in. 1/ played-247 2/ scored 64 3/ assists 75 4/positions LW,RW AMF

• 13 geordiemark // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM

due to ashley,pardew,kinnearbasher and penfold us geordies will need to get medical treatment really soon due to the crap we get day in day out from the club :)

• 14 nut meg // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

pAW1250
    I missed off he’s value on TM is 10m euro & 24 years old.

• 15 SeanNufc87 // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Loving this me, its plain to see for everyone in the football world that pardew has essentially been put under the watchful eye of kinnear, they may say they like each other but do any of you really believe that?

Unfortunately for him he has been placed in a role that he isnt suited to in the modern game and seems to be struggling. It seems pardew knows this and adds just a little bit of pressure and spotlight to it every week, with comments like its tough but thats his job. Translated id say thats yes its hard out there but if he cant do it why is he here?

Club cant complain, its a dig in disguise as a sympathetic plea, a backhanded compliment if you will. Funny as hell imo.

• 16 toon kk // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM

We’ll Never move forward as long as MA owns the club. We’re a poorly run club with a owner who just wants money.

• 17 jimBOB // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I cant understand why AP keeps jabbering on about ‘ over the line’ seems every other club has had no issue’s with it, even the newly premoted ones, look at Norwich.

I feel AP should just come out and say ‘ look I have no idea’ that would make me alot happier than having to read endless spec about players and their clubs have not even been approached, constant Lies. cant be that difficult AP considering we brought in 5 players in Jan.

• 18 jimBOB // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM

and yes I know Norwich are not newly premoted this season but their still pretty new. lol

• 19 Sav // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I fear Joe may have a serious mental health issue. His memory lapses are more than slip-ups. And his delusions of past achievements bear the hallmarks of someone who has been covering up for quite some time. Not to mention his lack of judgement in statements regarding his status at the club. It all points to a bloke who has big problems. Unfortunately, his problems now are ours.

• 20 Sav // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Having said that, am I alone in thinking this is complete jibberish from our manager:

WTF?

• 21 jimBOB // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Sav – what do you expect, he has been speaking to JK, starting to rub off on him, wont be long until he starts refering to Toon players and tactics by explaining the ins and outs of Boiling an egg

• 22 paul24 // Aug 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

The more i read into this Pardew Kinnear relationship the more it starts to sound like a soap opera.

• 23 Premiership Manager // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM

The club is fully aware of the intricacies of the transfer market, the policies involved and the pitfalls associated with leaving it too late and not doing your business early in the window.

Get your transfer business done early, you have preseason to gel the players, get to know them and acclimatise them to the club, the fans and their expectations.

Leave it until the last minute and you don’t get the chance to learn their weaknesses, their personnel traits and how to get the best out of them. There is also the issue of chucking them in at the deep end in a sink or swim situation.

The professionalism of the club, the way it is being ran and managed is absolutely appalling and although I’ve always been of the opinion that it needs time and patience I am now starting to have serious concerns.

We have MC on Monday and when I look at the squad and the lack of creativity and drive, I can only see one outcome and it will not be in our favour.

Patience is running thin and it is debatable as to whether Cabaye will want to stay or go if there is any truth in the £15.5 M bid from PSG. There are reports that he is depressed and lets face it, if I was playing for Newcastle with the lack of transfer activity I would be depressed also as I would not relish another relegation battle before the season has even kicked off.

Yes we have some very good players and a capable squad however we need an injection of at least 3 new players, who can create and carve out goals.

JFK has done absolutely nothing since arriving at the club as DOF and given the fact that every other team has reinforced their ranks, making improvements to their squads does not bode well for the club and the season ahead.

If I was the owner I would be laying down the law, giving directives with no latitude for failure. Both Kinnear and Pardew would have no illusion as to what was acceptable and not acceptable and if they failed to deliver they would be turfed out with capable replacements lined up in the background.

That is the reality of modern day business as there is no room for mates or favours. Business is business and if you don’t set out directives, plan ahead and make contingency plans, you won’t last long in todays business world.

• 24 brian kilclines pony tail // Aug 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

ok, i know a player who is one of the best in the world, he’s skillfull, has an eye for a killer pass and can finish.

he’s called hatem ben arfa and our manager asks him to defend.

if we bought another attacking midfielder/winger all it will actually mean is that defensively the team we will be weaker since pardew wouldnt allow him to use his attacking exploits anyway.

• 25 toonluvva // Aug 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM

To me this is just Mr Pardew getting his excuses in ready for when we don’t do well this season.

He’s pointing the finger at Mr Kinnear for not getting in any strikers despite being the so called best DoF in the business.

He’ll use all this either in his constructive dismissal case, or to squeeze a few more millions from Mr Ashley when he gets sacked IMO.

previous post: Newcastle Striker Welcomes Competition – But We Need More