The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Striker Moves Closer To Fulham Loan Move

11:48 pm, Thursday, August 15th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Darren Bent had a medical at Fulham today in the last move before the Aston Villa striker agrees to a one year loan deal at Craven Cottage.

darren bent against southamtpon

Darren Bent - close to Fulham move

Earlier today Aston Villa Paul Lambert spilled the beans, and said that Darren was having a medical and that the media reports of a rift between manager and player were just not true

“He’s just away down to Fulham,” “I think it’s well-documented now that he’s down there having a medical and that’s the last I’ve heard.”

“There’s not been one crossed word between us. I don’t know where people have got that from.” “I brought in Benteke. If anyone can tell me that was the wrong decision, then the boys in white coats would take you away.”

“It’s just been the way I play and the way I look for people to play football under me.” “That’s football. All over the world. That’s that game.”

“It’s nothing to do with faces. I just had to make decisions about who I played.” “The big man has come in and been exceptional.’

Fulham manager Martin Jol was less than keen even to talk about the Darren Bent situation, but he did say the following:

“I don’t know what’s happening. Darren’s probably doing his own thing. We’re not sure about it,” he said.
Related Articles

“We don’t speculate on players and can only give an answer when a deal is finalised. We’ll see in the next day or two.”

“We need quality up front and we’re trying to get someone in that position in the next week. We need some pace up front,”

“The new owner wants us to go places and that’s our intention as well,” “We don’t expect new owners to come in and spend a lot of money because you have to be self-sufficient.”

“That’s what we’re trying to do. We won’t spend 10, 15, 20 million pounds on players.” “The new owner’s not interfering with anything. The only thing he said was – try to create a nice sausage.

“He knows that we like sausages here. As long as it’s a nice sausage he’ll be happy.”

It looks like Newcastle have missed out on getting Bent either on a permanent deal,  or even a season long loan deal, which is what Newcastle did to get QPR striker cLoic Remy to Tyneside.

We just hope that we see some movement and progress at Newcastle soon,  in bringing in another top class striker to join Remy at Newcastle for next season.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 stan anderson // Aug 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Am i bothered like

• 2 ochytoon // Aug 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Cool.

• 3 Ginger // Aug 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Has anyone got the link to the blog fantasy football league?

• 4 SecretSausage // Aug 15, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Do others feel like me?

On one hand I get excited. We have Ben Arfa, Cisse, Tiote, Sissoko, Marveaux, and a great looking defence in Collo, Mbiwa, Santon, Debuchy. The season looks so promising.

Then reality sets in.

Cisse never gets involved in the play at all. He scores the odd goal but his general play is shocking for what he is supposed to be.

Ben Arfa is our great hero. I love watching him. People say he could walk into Barcelonas team. But then the truth hits home that although he is a sort of genius player he 90% of the time just gives the ball away. I know we get entertainment watching him but seriously the end product is rather poor.

Tiote. He was so so good and now is pretty much rubbish. He gets caught out in serious places a few times every game now and his passing has gone to pieces.

Sissoko. I was excited by him but apart from brief spells he doesnt get involved much either. Goodness knows how he gets picked for France.

Marveaux. People say he is class but we rarely see it. Even when he plays he isnt involved nowhere near enough.

The defence. Well, last season they proved they are really bad.

But the strange thing is when i see the team written down I get excited and think it looks great.

Personally, I like the look of dummett. He is going to be special. I would replace most of our team with players like that. Ben Arfa replaced by McManaman. Sissoko by McCarthy. Tiote by that big DM at West Ham. Cisse by an Andy Carroll type.

I think this season is going to be similar to last. Im worried now. At least until someone writes down the team, and I will love it again and get excited.

• 5 beddersmag // Aug 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Did he keep saying sausage or did i get some dodgy crystal meth tonight?

• 6 Pokat // Aug 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM

ooer another eye test article ha ha.

Manx was it? Previous thread
    I dont care how silly Pards comment was he said it. Now maybe you wanna explain to me the factual and the bull statements he makes and how to tell the difference? No, maybe not then.

Anyway, whats all that stuff about sausages? Dont tell Hatem, he’ll want a move!

• 7 Newcastle Brown Alien // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I just read the last line of Jol’s quote. WHAT!?!

• 8 manxpie // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM

haha is that a serious quote from jol!!!?
    funny as f@”k their owner sounds mad and obviously doesn’t understand or know how that can come across!

• 9 beddersmag // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Aye secret sausage i sometimes feel like that. On paper we look great but players not performing as a unit as they did 2 years ago.

I blame european football last year in that you have almost two seperate training units doing different work at different times eg. One set having an easy session before a game, the other grafting hard midweek. Sometimes in different countries, and some playing twice in a week. Genuinely think we will be more competitive with more preparation. Im hoping the average pre season is down to tired legs from hard training and when fresh we will look good again. But hey its pre season and im in a ludicrously positive mood :-)

• 10 Pokat // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Maybe he’ll play Bent as Toad in the hole? He could skin the defence? He could banger few in? Thats the wurst I could cook up. Barry Fry up for a ‘roll’ at the club? I will now get my coat its here somewhere I know it is……

• 11 beddersmag // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Hey secret sausage, did jol create you?

• 12 beddersmag // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Nice puns pokat but your making me hungry :-)

• 13 manxpie // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM

pokat well common sense usually sorts that out for ya tbh :)
    and that was obviously an expression of relief after a very tough year

• 14 Pokat // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Manx -

as long as he doesn’t trudge it out after we bomb out each cup though huh? :(

• 15 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

best news iv’e heard all week woo hoo

• 16 manxpie // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

bedders exactly mate then add in the injuries and it’s quite a mess with a small squad
    also aren’t they gonna change the nights of the europa league or did i just dream that lol?

• 17 manxpie // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:16 AM

pokat he’s already said he made a mistake in putting out weaker teams in them cups and he won’t be doing it again (even tho alot on here use poyet beating us with our b team as him being a great manager :) )
    i’m positive for a top 8 finish this season but don’t shoot me for actually believing and supporting my club lol

• 18 soundoid // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I read this blog every day. One thing stands out: we are all anxious! It’s part of being a fan saying you think players are rubbish or great and arguing about that. the managment included and the owner. One think you need at a club to stop the bottom falling out of your belive is ‘someone’ anyone that you all trust in. It could be the Captain… Shearer or Nolan for example or a player that can get you out of a situation… Beardsley or Barton or the Manager Sir Bobby or Chris Hughton… Examples of people we cling too…. People WE belive in is what we lack. We have trust issues… Our Captain never says anything, our DOF and managers are bullsh#tting Dinosaurs our players are all french Mercenarys, and the only 2 we used to have any hope in Saylor and HBA are fat and out of shape.

I don’t think this by the way I’ve just been trying to work out what the problem is. We need a HERO! and It could be your own personal one or a collective one but thats whats wrong.

• 19 dan5679 // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM

What must be a worry is if Remy gets charged with rape he will be in no state to be playing dont even know if he will be in jail ….. leaving just cisse and this will be after the transfer window

• 20 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Why on earth does Jol keep talkin about sausage for?? I couldn’t stop laughin while I was reading that! Lol.

Darren bent is only a 20 goals a season striker if he’s playing regular first team football. Considering jfk and fat mike only want him 2 come off the bench when we need a goal, I can hardly see him hittin 10 goals. There’s no way bent will be selected b4 cisse of remy. Then again pardews tactics are very questionable!!

• 21 Greebol1892 // Aug 16, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Bottom line…… Bent is lightyears better than strolla but I’m tired of the nonsense that we have been anywhere near signing him. Ashley WILL NOT PAY OVER 4M / 50 GRAND PER WEEK FOR A 29 YEAR-OLD
    Not a chance.

• 22 bobby mango // Aug 16, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Secret Sausage… I’m quite cynical and pessimistic but you’ve taken me to new lows! Bursting my bubble about HBA and Sissoko. Shame on you!

My counter argument is the players are actually pretty good but last season they weren’t used properly. Cisse or Sissoko on the right wing is criminal. Playing more long balls than Stoke with that set of players in inexcusable and the whole set-piece debacle is an embarrassment.

Willing to give Pardew 10 games but if the team are playing anything like they did last year he should be gone. Personally I don’t except Europe as an excuse, I could see how badly they were playing from our opener vs Spurs. We won but god knows how.

• 23 bobby mango // Aug 16, 2013 at 7:20 AM

On Bent I’m actually looking forward to seeing him play this year…

Some people may find this funny but I’ve recently got myself a Fulham season ticket. Live round the corner from the ground, it’s a fairly neutral club. Six of us got tickets who all support different clubs!

Hoping watching a team I don’t care about will let me enjoy football again. Supporting Newcastle is just so frustrating and depressing.

previous post: Newcastle Miss Out On Bent – Having Medical At Fulham