The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Defensive Target – Newcastle Are A Beautiful Club

3:00 pm, Thursday, August 15th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

24 year-old Ajax defender Toby Alderweireld seems to be interested in a move to the Premier League, and it looks like Newcastle United are one of three clubs said to be interested in the player, who is available for just £5M – and that low price may even tempt the Magpies to bid for the Belgian International – you never know.

Toby Alderweireld 98

Toby Alderweireld – 24 year-old available for just £5M

The 24 times capped Belgian international plays at Dutch club Ajax, and he joined them back in 2004 from Germinal Beerschot, and he’s played for Ajax 182 times with 15 goals since making his debut in January, 2010 in the 4–2 victory over NEC Nijmegen, when he was just 20 years old.

The 24 year old is entering the final year of his contract at Ajax, and he could therefore be available on a free transfer next summer, although Ajax may well want to cash in on him this summer, rather than lose him for nothing next year, and maybe that’s why the transfer price of £5M seems reasonable.

But the Antwerp born player is still waiting for an offer from any one of the above three clubs said to be interested in the defender, and this is what Alderweireld told Sky Sports News today:

“It depends if there is a club coming in that I want to go to but I’m patient and we will see in a few days.” “We will see, if Tottenham are very interested then I will hear what their plans are.”

“There is no offer from Everton that I know of, maybe my manager knows. But I was focusing on the Belgium game and now I’m focusing on Sunday.”

“I didn’t hear from any of those three clubs, but those are beautiful clubs and the Premier League is a beautiful competition, so we will see.”

Yes – we suppose he called Tottenham and Everton beautiful clubs too – but you take the complements when you can get them – we’re not daft. :D

We think Toby would be a great buy at just £5M, although Newcastle’s major need is still a top striker to arrive on Tyneside before the transfer window slams shut on September 2nd.

Other clubs who have also been credited with a potential interest in the Belgian defender are Bayer Leverkusen, Liverpool, Napoli and Norwich City –  so Toby seems to already  have many suitors.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 JAMSHA // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

BBC Sporf @BBCSporf 33m
    BREAKING: Harry Redknapp’s twin
    sister spotted in London.

hahahahqha

• 2 Tinman // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I watched Ajax for the whole season (every single game) in 2011/12 season when I was working with a Dutch guy.
    It was him and Vertonghen at CB. Vertonghen looked absolutely brilliant, and I think he will show he is the best CB in the Premier league next season. Toby looked, for want of a better word, ok. 5m will be a decent price for him, but he aint a world beater like some people on here seem to think he is.
    I havent spoke to the my mate about football in a while as he lives in Holland again. I will have ask him how Toby did last season!
    Doesnt look like he is coming to us anyway, there is a lot of competition (Spuds).

Watching Ajax for a whole season is another reason why I think Anita should be given a starting role. If he doesnt get one this season then I have no doubts he will be pushing for a transfer elsewhere next window. Which will probably result in a 5m loss.

• 3 JAMSHA // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

nonsense wer did he say newcastle is a beautiful club… da other club is bindipers

• 4 north_country_boy // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Spurs have just taken their pre-season spending to £59m while we get left behind yet again – WHY?WHY?WHY? Speculate to accumulate – someone please buy this club from that miserly Cockney geezer or this club will start to go down the drain and end up like so many ‘big’ clubs before it languishing in the bottom divisions and all those years of building this club up to match the quality of its fan base will be lost forever!!!

• 5 bobby mango // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Man this article is reaching a bit… He called out two prem clubs and didnt mention us. I don’t take that as encouragement and certainly not him calling nufc beautiful.

Would really like him at the club but this article wasnt as hopeful as the title suggests.

• 6 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Crap owner, crap DoF, crap manager, crap coaches, crap sponsors, crap players. Did I miss anything out?

I wonder why some of you bother supporting the club…

• 7 Tinman // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM

north country boy, because they are going to sell Bale to take their net spend to zero.

• 8 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM

north_country_boy

Because Tottenham’s revenue is about 50% higher than ours…because Tottenham didn’t get relegated recently…because Tottenham have an excellent history of top 10 finishes (10 out of last 12) in the PL…because Tottenham have been in Europe for the last 4 seasons.

Do you need me to go on?

Clubs only “go down the drain” when they “speculate to accumulate” and fail. Look at Portsmouth and Leeds…

Seriously fella, you need a reality check.

• 9 Steven // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Toby ,fernades and gomis will sign .
    Watch this space gents

• 10 Tinman // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I’m off anyway, had enough of this for one day. Cheers ToonDarnSarf, been a breath of fresh air haha!

• 11 VanToonMan // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Tinman and TDS – look at it like this…Campbell gives us an alternative striking option…young…enthusiastic and with pace.

TDS I disagree with you saying he is 5th choice striker because quite frankly I don’t count Ameobi. He should not even be in our squad as far as I’m concerned…let alone on the bench or as a ‘choice’. He has scored 51 goals in 286 appearances – ENOUGH IS ENOUGH – would he start or even be on the bench for any of the top 8 teams??? Unless we are considering ourselves as a 15th place team.

I would pick Campbell over Ameobi anyday of the week purely because I’ve seen Ameobi for years…there’s nothing new….he is not suddenly going to turn into this Drogba or Lukaku target man. He is average at best and that is it. Campbell is new…fresh…and has pace. He could play off the shoulder…make good runs…a Bellamy style striker.

As for Gouffran….as long as Jonas (who i put in the same bracket as Ameobi) is still around…I put Gouffran as our LW. If Remy was fit then I would say he would be LW and therefore Gouffran is our second choice striker on the bench behind Cisse. But Remy is not fit….so Gouffran is first choice LW – which means he does not count as a Striker. If Cisse injured himself tomorrow in training and Remy as we have been told is not available…who plays up top? Gouffran? OK then who plays LW? ‘Cos there’s no way Jonas should be anywhere near the team. Same as Ameobi – would he be in the squad for any of the top 8 teams??

• 12 Indian Magpie // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM

GUYS read Sky sports article and watch the video he is talking about NUFC and Everton.

• 13 croftus5678 // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM

@2 tinman

i too have seen some games but only around 4 or so and yes agree he was a fairly decent cb and didnt make any mistakes but was not setting the world alight !

“but” ;-) is he better than saylor/williamson ? from what i see of him even though its very little i would say i would be a lot more comfortable with taking a risk and having him in the cb position than having saylor/williamson there imo.

• 14 Rooster // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM

TDS ive stuck up for our illustrious owner a thousand times, and I think we have some very good players, but our manager our coaches and even though they sponsor us Wonga ARE NOT VERY CLEVER ARE THEY, in fact our manager and coaches are championship at best, last seasons fitness regime failure should have seen the end for Carver and Stone, weather they had 8 year deals or not, no other manager or coaching staff anywhere in the world would have survived the mistakes of last season. I LIKE OUR STABILITY FINANCIALLY, but two wrongs don’t make a right, JK shooting his gob of 5 weeks ago now has to deliver, he has not YET, its a massive gamble we have to learn from last summer if we don’t and we get caught its criminal, and as Cloughy said they will want bloody shooting.

• 15 Wandering Geordie // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Finger out and bid for him NOW

• 16 Rooster // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM

VanToon, your spot on, its time for Campbell to move ahead of the dinosaur Ameobi, ok nice kid is Shola but he has had it good for far too long here averaging 3 goals a season in 14 years!!!! its morcambe and wise!

• 17 Ben3arfa // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I hate Joe Kinnear

• 18 santonthenewmaldini // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM

@Toon Down Sarf

Yes Spurs have more money than us but surely its not too much to expect us to be able to spend some money!?!?!

18 million got us 5 players in January but we should have got them last summer so surely its not beyond the realms that we could not have spent maybe another 18 on another 2 or 3 players?!?

IF we don’t have the money then surely we should sell a player and then invest it in the team?! Thats what Spurs done with Berbatov, Carrick and Modric

Its not difficult to run this club properly invest at the right times and sell a player and then buy a couple of players with the profit ! Dortmund are the example we should be following!

I remember not too long ago we used to pound Spurs every time we played them changed days eh

• 19 Bearsize // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Does anyone think anita will give a good report of NUFC?????? We have no chance

• 20 jokinoot // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Stop dragging your heals JFK get someone signed cant believe no new players for first game on Monday it’s a joke ,what this club needs is a boot up the asp

• 21 croftus5678 // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

@16 rooster

sticking cambell straight in the prem as a main striker would be a big mistake imo ! esp when most of the team is french and its hard for the lad to communicate.

he needs a bit of rough and tough with english speaking lads and to build his confidence up first before we push him in or we could demorlise the lad before he’s even got going if he finds the prem too tough in his first season imo.

• 22 Rooster // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Croftus, Alderwiereld, is different class from numpty nuts Saylor who more and more is proving a bit of a liability and Williamson, well he should be history, in fact the whole of our back line need consistency because every game at least one of them is shown up good and proper, last three games of last season 10 goals conceded none scored and the defense were shocking to say the least.

• 23 JaxtheMag // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM

if no1 else wants him and they drop the price then we mite get him. hope his agent doesn’t want much. next rumour.

• 24 Rooster // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Croftus, not asking for Campbell to be stuck straight in, watched virtually every game the lad has played and he is a class kid, he needs quality playing time, ok then he goes to Carlisle for a while fair enough but we NEED another striker in we cannot rely on Shola as sole back up if Remy is out injured.

• 25 richyg01 // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM

He didnt even mention Newcastle.

• 26 wynsleap // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Why the Hell are we paying Kinnear a wage – apart from being the drinking mate of Ashley?
    Are we just a home for waifs and strays now?
    ToonDarn Sarf @ 6 – your first sentence was correct – your second was superfluous. North Country Boy is just stating a fact as many sensible fans believe.
    No signings – no hope – and you’d better believe it.

• 27 Spartak Miserable // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM

@richyg01 (25) That is correct, well spotted, I thought it was just me who thought of this as one of the most misleading headlines I have read.

Glad to see others seeing the same. Utter tosh being scraped from Ed’s barrell

• 28 veto // Aug 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM

ive defended this lot a number of times , but i cant believe we are going into the season without any new signings .
    it’s soul destroying .
    largest media payment in premiership history .
    regular top 20 most valuable club in the world .

and we let everyone else strengthen around us , didnt think id see it in my lifetime , even when we were reckless with the cash at least we were trying .
    this lot have zero ambition .

• 29 wynsleap // Aug 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Toon Darn Sarf @ 8
    You say “Tottenham’s revenue is 50% higher than ours”.
    With us having bigger gates than them why should that be? Probably because the fans see ambition (which Ashley doesn’t have) and buy merchandise etc in the quantities we used to in the days of Keegan eg when we showed ambition.
    You say “they didn’t get relegated recently”. Whose fault was that? Purely down to a tight owner who won’t invest in players.
    You say “They have a history of top 10 finishes”. We don’t purely because of the reason above. Again don’t forget we had some top 10 finishes under Keegan and Robson.
    You say “They have been in Europe for the last 4 seasons”. We used to be in Europe regularly. Under Ashley we’ve been in once and he failed to invest AT ALL to make us effectively compete in it. We even have a manager who admits he’d rather not be in it.
    I think it’s YOU who should have a reality check fella.

• 30 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I knew I was right. He never said he didn’t want to play for us. He’d be an ideal signing. Get it done asap. £5 is a joke price.

• 31 potski // Aug 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Jamsha
    bobby mango
    richyg01
    Spartak Miserable

Sky Sports News said:

“Asked about the links with possible moves to Everton or Newcastle, Alderweireld added: “[There is no offer from Everton] that I know of, maybe my manager knows. But I was focusing on the [Belgium] game and now I’m focusing on Sunday.

“I didn’t hear from those clubs. But those are beautiful clubs ”

So don’t be slagging off Ed as misleading headlines “utter tosh” etc.

Toby Alerdweireld said Newcastle is a beautiful club.

• 32 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM

There’s no doubt we need another good quality CB. A couple of injuries and it’s Taylor and Williamson. Championship quality players. We don’t even have Perch for cover now. Curtis Good won’t make it at this level, and from what I’m told Streete is debatable. Debuchy and Santon are both flaky defensively so it’s imperative that we have quality in the middle of the defence.

• 33 Worjackie // Aug 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM

“match the quality of its fan base will be lost forever!!!”

Quantity not Quality.

I took my 2 sons to the Braga game last Saturday.
    My eldest son who is 9 has been may times before.
    I took my middle son who 4 to his very first game. He had to witness fighting and swearing, and tussles with the law after the game. Quality! I think not.

A bunch of infantile thugs. My 3 years is up after this season, If anyone wants a ticket in the benches thatn mine will be available nest season. That was the last straw, Newcastle united have nothing as football club for me any more.

previous post: Newcastle Youngster Sent Out On One Month Loan