Lyon Still Trying To Persuade Top Striker To Stay

Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas is trying to cozy up to his €10M striker Bafe Gomis, and that’s after he had sent the French International striker to train with the youngsters at the French club earlier this summer.

bafetimbi gomis - pink

Bafe Gomis – no intention of staying at Lyon

Aulas had said Gomis was not part of the first-team squsd at Lyon, but with Lisandro Lopez surprisingly moving to Qatari club Al Gharafa last week, Gomis may have become more important to Lyon, unless they can bring in another striker.

This is what Aulas told L’Equipe:

“The circumstances have changed. Newcastle broke off negotiations, and we haven’t had other offers. The most logical solution would be for everyone to show a little humility, myself in particular, so that he extends his contract by a year.”

“But there are conditions, notably with regard to what coach Remi Garde wants to do.” We will look a player to replace Lisandro. A center-forward or someone who can play on the flank.”

The striker has made it clear that Newcastle is the club he wants to join, and he has already turned down potential moves to Rubin Kazan and Fulham over the last twelve months.

And it seems Bafe has no intention at all of remaining at the Stade de Gerland, whatever the Lyon President may say.

There’s still 18 days to go in the transfer window and the story on Gomis may even have a happy ending for Newcastle fans before the end of this summer’s transfer window.

We’ll see.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Tom4Nufc

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I think we’ll be back in for him next week after it becomes apparent how much we need a physical presence up front to help Cisse! (Not Shola!)

• soundoid

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I read this blog every day. One thing stands out: we are all anxious! It’s part of being a fan saying you think players are rubbish or great and arguing about that. the managment included and the owner. One think you need at a club to stop the bottom falling out of your belive is ‘someone’ anyone that you all trust in. It could be the Captain… Shearer or Nolan for example or a player that can get you out of a situation… Beardsley or Barton or the Manager Sir Bobby or Chris Hughton… Examples of people we cling too…. People WE belive in is what we lack. We have trust issues… Our Captain never says anything, our DOF and managers are bullsh#tting Dinosaurs our players are all french Mercenarys, and the only 2 we used to have any hope in Saylor and HBA are fat and out of shape.

I don’t think this by the way I’ve just been trying to work out what the problem is. We need a HERO! and It could be your own personal one or a collective one but thats whats wrong.

• microbar

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Please close this Gormless episode if he has no control over his agents then we are better off without him.

• darrylwe

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Anyone thinking Campbell sent out on loan too early?

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Gomis will be our first signing of the january transfer window!

• beddersmag

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Manxpie

Not sure on changing day of europa league. Assume its thurs so doesnt clash with champs league for tv, but earlier in the week is defo better as league is priority for all teams in it until maybe the semis.

• dan5679

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:39 AM

What must be a worry is if Remy gets charged with rape he will be in no state to be playing dont even know if he will be in jail ….. leaving just cisse and this will be after the transfer window

• soundoid

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:39 AM

darrylwe,

No he’s not going to get played for a month might as well loan him out… until shola gets injured. Would have been nice to start him against the Shrimps.

• ochytoon

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:44 AM

So we’re about to start this season with a smaller squad than last season, in which we were almost relegated. Great work everyone.

• Ben3arfa

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Joke Kinnear is a disgrace to humanity

pathetic soul

• manxpie

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:47 AM

cheers bedders i’m sure i heard it somewhere tho maybe it was just an idea that was spouted but not called apon we’ll know soon enough i suppose
    on this subject this owner seems like a rite tit to be honest his contradictions have been endless!

• Honoured2BNUFC

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM

He’s on loan for a month with option to extend I’ve read

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Was watching Sky Sports News the other day and it came up with all the teams’ expenditure so far.

We were at the bottom with Arsenal with zero pounds spent. You wouldn’t think we’d just scraped relegation, never mind got rid a of a few squad players to leave us in a worse state.

It’s ridiculous and unacceptable. Sick of the rubbish which Pardew and Kinnear have come out with. On the pitch and off it.

• Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM

hey wake up, there’s no charge against Remy.

• jamesnufc86

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I’m usually in a positive frame of mind when it comes to my club.And I don’t want to become morbid, although I’m struggling. but the message sent out by the club is blatantly full of sihte. It’s been said a million times on this blog so it’s nothing new. This blog maybe needs to start making things happen outside st james’ park, a petition or rally, something ! I burn with anger everyday with this prick in charge

• Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:06 AM

As much as I don’t prefer JFK, the Gomisgate is not under his control. Why would this be on him? I don’t understand.

• Toonacious T

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Maybe our next signing should be Dynamo:Magician Impossible. He could turn Ashley’s tenners into twenty quid notes, rub the Wonga sponsor off our shirts, telepathically communicate our players names to JFK during interviews, create a magnetic force field around Cisse to help him hold the line and stay onside and, toughest task of all, help Pardew create the illusion that he knows what he is doing! ….. Hold on…what am I thinking…..he is sponsored by Adidas, Pepsi, etc., we couldn’t afford his wages…and he has an agent…..nah, forget it. Is Uri Gellar going cheap? Paul Daniels in the January window maybe?

• evildick

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:36 AM

I don’t think our squad is as bad as some people think.

When you take into account the players that have left since we came 5th and the players brought in, I think we are actually stronger.

I think it’s our tactics that let us down, the hoofball last season was awful to watch. Personally I would of sacked Pardew immediately after the 0-6 hammering. Just of principle! That was the worst toon performance I can remember watching in my life.

I’m hoping we can recapture the form of a couple of seasons ago, but half expecting Pardew to be gone by October.

Also I expect us to cash in on Cabaye and bring in 2-3 players. But unless we sell I don’t think any money will be spent.

This is how we operate and until someone buys us, we have to deal with it, unfortunately.

• gonufc (Release the Hatem Bomb)

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Hmmm. “Broke off negotiations”. Presumably that was once we had Remy signed up.

My first thought is their thinking was “Well, that’s our single first team signing done, on to January now….”.

Hopefully not though!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Morning lads!

So we were the only team to bid for Gomis; it is not like he was hot comodity is it?

…og well the deal wasn’t right for us and I don’t even think he is the right player for us anyway!

But to be honest we have really been taken with our pans down this window…we have been really unprepared and sloppy! I wonder what it is we do between windows and I just cannot understand the timing of JFK!

Everything is wrong in this picture 🙁 Ameteur club!

• lesh

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:07 AM

ochytoon @9.

the responsibility for the lack of spend rests with Kinnear and Kinnear alone. He’s the one that was to assess the squad and convince Ashley of the need to spend.

We haven’t spent so we can only conclude that apart from borrowing a striker (and lending young Campbell out), Kinnear feels that the squad’s big and strong enough.

• Santon03

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Day after day all I read was too many negative comments about MA, JK, AP, and players. I have come to terms with AP being our manager, I don’t like the guy and probably never will, there is no point keep b!tching and moaning about it, some people makes it as daily occupation. This is in the blog, I can’t imagine what your real life is like, constant b!tching, moaning, nagging at everything.
    Despite our lacks in some department, I still consider us lucky. If MA didn’t buy this club, we could end up broke and playing in division 3. If JK wasn’t DOF, we would probably have signed Gomis which I think he is the candidate of the next Xisco. If AP wasn’t our manager, hmm…. I can’t find anything good to say about him, we would probably do much better or worse. We stil have a good team and AP will have more pressure to do well this season, I still believe we can finish top 10, probably 6th or 7th hopefully winning league or FA cup. I’m probably the only one here hoping we don’t get another striker. I hope Vuckic and Campbell will have more chances also Streete, Dummet, and other youngsters. If we kee buying new players, those youngsters would probably never get any chances, we might as well closed our academy.
    I have a feeling we will do great this season but pobably not finishing this season with AP as manager.

• firebug666

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I’m all for giving the academy play a chance to break into the first team, But we tried that last season and the result were dismal. We need a striker Urgently, if not I think it will be a case of Hello Joe Kinnear – Goodbye Premier League.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Well yes and no to the blame lies with JFK alone!

Pardew said last year this year again that he is satisfied with the squad! I’ll judge him on what he says and what he delivers!

…if we don’t deliver this season and we end up needing players then the fault lies with Pardew since he has said he is happy!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Santon…do you honestly think we will finish this season without Pardew?…or are you just hoping 😉

• Santon03

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Jesper

I honestly think he will be gone within first 10 games.
    I think we all have seen his weakness, MA has definitely seen it too. So far we only have one addition (Remy), I think we all know AP will fail and MA is setting him up for the kill. He wants to get rid of him, but he can’t do it with 7 years contract left without any reason.
    Do you think with the same squad but under different manager like Petkovic (Lazio) we will do much better? I think we will and he will use our youngsters better than pardew.
    the only one need to change in this club is the manager imo.

• Premiership Manager

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:15 AM

There are plenty of star players with lots of potential who we could get on loan.

As quoted if Remy is charged with rape and do not make a permanent signing by close of the window we will be in dire straights particularly if Cisse gets injured as we have no contingency plan and very little in the way of cover.

Worryingly Pardew and JFK should be fully aware of this and realise that it is there jobs on the line if they both fail to produce however they see to be doing very little about it and seem content to sit back and accept the consequences.

Kaka doesn’t get first team football, Hernandez is another, Victor Moses won’t get a guaranteed place at Chelsea. Ok Kaka would be out of our price range but Hernandez and Moses would be good option for loan with a option to buy.

There are lots of players however what we can not afford is to sit back and simply make excuses as it is not acceptable to have a repeat of last years abysmal season.

We should at least get another loan signing over the line and at least one creative midfield player who can make runs and play down the wings. 1/2 of our goals should be coming from midfield and the fact that they contribute so few is more than a little cause for concern because without help for Cisse we will be in for another roller coaster ride.

• yo-yo

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Jesper

We all know Pardew made a public statement after he was given no choice to run with the squad he had and had made plaenty of previous comments sboiut needing to strengthen -What else could he say ?

Blame the organ grinder not the monkey

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Pardew has harped on about wanting certain players and certain types of players for 2 years. What he wants and what he eventually gets are completely different things.

Jesp,

The only time you will see Pardew saying he is happy with what he has is when he know’s he is not getting anyone else through the door. This all happened last summer.

In this day and age it’s called “a lack of backing”.

This comment alone is purely for team morale reasons. This because he has no option other than to get on with what he has.

I’v lost count this window the amount of times Pardew has almost been begging for strikers through the door.

You won’t find any other Premier League football club having to do this.

To be honest, it’s absolutely cringe worthy. No manager should have this bother, especially after a TV cash windfall.

Pathetic state of affairs.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Been keeping off this place for the past week, as frankly it is one of the most depressing blogs around at the minute. But season near, so time for a return.

Premiership,
    Hernandez availability hinges on Rooney, I can’t see Moyes being interested in letting him go either way to be honest, but no chance if Rooney departs. Moses needs to move to guarantee his World Cup spot with Nigeria. Keshi has said he wants his players playing regularly. Would be an excellent option for us, although I’d prefer a full signing to a loan.

Santon,
    I’d love to see the youngsters given a go, but I’d prefer they gained a bit of first team experience elsewhere first, so I’d be in favour of loans for Mbabu, Streete, Satko, Campbell. Give Vuckic a chance to shine. Playing those youngsters this year is tantamount to writing this year off, a la Aston Villa last season. I’d have been happy to do that hadwe supplemented the squad with talented youngsters such as Powell, Hughes, Ince, Maguire, Long, Clayton etc. But it hasn’t happened and I don’t think our kids are savvy enough to do it. We would have had to keep hold of Inman as well.

On topic, ditch Gomis, we have waste far too much time chasing after a distinctly average player. It reminds me of last years efforts chasing players without ever agreeing fees, although this does seem to be not our fault.

I’m not sure what difference a bad start this year makes in relation to the remainder of his contract, if he wanted to sack him for inept performances than he had the reasons at the start of the summer. I think it will have to be dire circumstances for him to go, and I’d rather we didn’t get to that position.

• jazzyp

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Morning all-i wasnt really that bothered on gomis coming in to nufc,but with remy out for a month,the squad is even smaller than last season and we desperately need firepower up front.why not go for a loan deal as this is the way toon seem to be operating in this window

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM

TP,
    I agree, Pardew stated he wanted players in last summer and this, and it didn’t happen last, and is looking unlikely this although still time. That shows bad backing. On the other hand, the money has been used to bid for players (reportedly) so is it also a case of the backing is there but last summer we had a man too strict on his budgets and financial bottom line, and this summer we have a man who came in at a very strange time, a man who is at best deluded, at worst a downright liar. A man who also was given no time to prepare, and was asked to decide which players he wanted whilst these players had gone on holiday. How can he watch them and make an informed opinion if they are sat on the beach.

Either way, the whole thing stinks from top to bottom.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:45 AM

My True Faith blog, with a slightly cheerier outlook and some African football to boot!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Jazzy,
    Who though? And the issue with a loan we are back in the same spot this time next year. The same goes for Remy. If he does well, he gets offers from bigger clubs, and we get our first refusal, which he refuses. If he flops, will we want to spend the 7/8 million or whatever he would cost on him?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:52 AM

yo-yo…he had said it again this time around that he is happy with the squad.

….he could say it better if he said nothing at all!

If he is happy he’ll we judge accordingly!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Santon…I agree another manager could do so much better with this squad than Pardew, but I don’t see how MA is setting Pardew up for a fall?

…Pardew did that perfectly well all by himself last season and MA kept faith in him – he could as easily had fired him.

Talking about not having a reason 😉

I think MA took partly responsibility for last season (and he fired Llambias). If Pardew doesn’t mess up completely I think he is here for the long run. Time will tell I guess.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Toon-Prodigy…I agree but I also disagree, because in the end Pardew contradictions himself all the time which makes it hard to know what he means.

…you choose to believe he is put on the spot and wants to bust team morale!

…I believe he thinks both the team and himself is good enough (doesn’t mean he wouldn’t want additions)

He is the mouthpiece of the club; he’ll get judge by what he says and what he does. All he is doing is setting himself up for a fall…and I’ll be there when he does!

To quote Forrest Gump:

“Stupid is what stupid does” 😉

• jazzyp

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Lilongwe
    Morning mate-exactly who ??
    We have had 8 month to address the ba replacement,we have one of the most respected scouts in europe yet we are reduced to signing a loan player who is going to be out for at least the first month.
    There is something amiss this summer within the club-something just doesnt sit right with me. Its as if mashley is gearing up to sell the club !!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Jazzy,
    I think one major flaw was bringing in Kinnear when we did. If he is to say yes or no to signings, then despite having all the scouting done already, Kinnear would have wanted to watch him as well. How can he when the players aren’t playing?

As we saw when Douglas was side lined, Kinnear didn’t know him, so wouldn’t okay the signing. I’d imagine Kinnear knows very few of the players that he will have dossiers on. It stands to reason he would want to see them himself, rather than advocate a signing in his name that he doesn’t know that well. Better that than doing youtube scouting like Dennis Wise in my opinion.

Problem is, that leaves us where we are now, as teams are only starting to play again now. So now is the first real opportunity for JK to watch them, which for us, is a bit late. Maybe once he has seen a few we will get a couple of players in. Fingers crossed.

As for the sale, there have been rumours of that all summer, and nothing forthcoming. If he is gearing up for a sale, it is for the end of this season, not now. He may have been looking to sell at the start of this summer, but having bought 5 players in Jan, and the poor league position, he didn’t get the price wanted to make it worthwhile. Higher earnings this year could see him repaid some loan, and then sell from a stronger position.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Lads we are going to see alot more contradictions, im sure about that.

On one side you have a manager and coaching set-up that genuinely wants to do well and want to recieve the upmost backing.

On the other, you have an owner who is quite happy to hit mid-heights, with the thoughts of anything of a higher ranking a bonus.

All Pardew can do is sit and wait and see if this time he gets what he wants. My thoughts are no Premier League football club should be preparing to start a campaign short in areas on the pitch. Yet we take this gamble season after season through inept planning and a lack of consideration. Then we wonder why we fail, we start to scapegoat certain individuals and players while other certain individuals cowardly hide behind the scenes. There is something very wrong about that. Well, to me anyway.

Just my two cents.

I’v had a long long night at work and I need to hit the sack lads.

Have a goodin lads.