The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Is A Real Opportunity For Newcastle

9:17 am, Friday, August 16th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 34 Comments

Newcastle play at Manchester City on Monday night,  and it will be the first game for new City manager Manuel Pellegrini, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel for Newcastle,  because City have not looked solid in defense in pre-season,  and have leaked a lot of goals, and they have also lost their top 20 year-old Serbian International center-back Matija Nastasic to injury,

Alan Pardew pointing

Alan Pardew – hopeful of result on Monday night

But of course you cannot accuse Newcastle of being a huge goal scoring threat to any side these days, since we are still short of strikers, and new signing Loic Remy of QPR is out for a month with that calf injury.

Pellegrini admits his side need defensive reinforcements, and they will not come in time for Monday night’s opener in the Premier League.

“We’ll see next week if I can bring in the player I need,” “We have conceded too many goals, and we will have to find ways to fix that.”

Of course if Newcastle and Joe Kinnear had got the job done this summer we should have had a couple of new strikers starting the game on Monday night, but because of Remy’s injury we have none. :(

But that doesn’t stop Newcastle manager Alan Pardew from being his usual upbeat self, as he had this to say to the local press today:

“We’ve lost to Man City twice in the years I’ve been here, we need to change that.” “The last two times we’ve been there under me, we’ve been well beaten.”

“There’s been a bit of a gap, so now under the new manager, we hope to change that.” They’ve got two or three new faces, but I’m pretty confident.”

“I know the team they will play, and know what we’ll have, obviously.” The good way to approach the Man City game is to treat it like a bonus.”

“The table will read like we have lost on Saturday, because we haven’t played.” “Therefore if we take a point or three, we can take that into the West Ham and Fulham games.”

“This is a real opportunity for us. I’m looking for a strong performance.”

Words are cheap of course, and Newcastle fans will be looking to see how well Newcastle play against a top side, and it should give us some idea of what’s in store for the side this season.

We are still hopeful that Newcastle can have another good season like the season before last, and the good news is that Jonas Gutierrez has a decent chance of playing on Monday night, after the leg injury he sustained against SC Braga seems to have healed up well.

There’s one positive thing we’ve had this summer, and that’s Newcastle have had very few injuries and that augers well for the coming season, and probably due to the expert input from fitness consultant Faye Downey, and it was a great move to hire Faye.

We’ll be very happy if we can take something out of this game on Monday night,  and the lads put up a fighting performance and are competitive.

If we can do that then things will be buzzing on Tyneside next week – and who knows we may even be able to sign a new striker. :D

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

34 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Forgot to write which paper
    Interesting read on Runners and Riders for the coming Prem season in the Indepenent.

TOON to finish12th
    Chelsea Champions
    relegated
    Hull
    MACKEMS
    Crystal Palace

mmmmm

• 2 SharpEnough23 // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Is it really good news jonas is fit?

• 3 voice of raisin // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I dont expect anything form the game – “well beaten” in previous games is an understatement. When you set out to simply not concede then prepare to lose.

No team outside of the absolute top, top teams can sustain total pressure for 90mins. I have the feeling this wont change monday night and we can all settle into the fact that it is going to be an overly defensive 4-5-1/4-4-2. No out and out wingers, an unbalanced side with sissoko on the right and cisse up top alone.

Well, at leasr we have learned from last season ;-)

• 4 SharpEnough23 // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM

It’s gonna be a 4 or 5 nil thrashing

• 5 Santon03 // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Let’s make a bet :)

Will Jonas play more than 30 games this season or not?

• 6 NUFCarter // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Here’s NBC’s advert on there broadcast of the premier league. Its quite funny actually.

• 7 Beattie25 // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Well only a few more days until we see one of the worst managers in Newcastle’s history takes to the touchline to offer more outragoues tactics, clueless management and pointless football.

Anyone who disagrees only has to look at the facts.

Even I with the 5th placed finish nearly every single footballing statistic you look at points at Pardew being awful.

I’m really pumped for the new season.

Whoopee

• 8 Blofal // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM

BBC has Newcastle finishing 12th and Norwich 16th. Whilst I can see us at 12th I think thats a little unfair to Norwich and CH. Wolfswinkel, Hooper and Fer will have them top 10 I think.

• 9 l3wy // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Has any 1 else heard the rumour that cashley won’t release any money until cabaye is sold???

• 10 Santon03 // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM

btw how many international players we have currently?
    I only know:
    Santon, Cabaye, Sissoko, MYM, Cisse, Tiote, Shola, Debuchy, Colo, Vuckic, and Krul.
    I don’t know if HBA included or not, that will be 11 players. Based on the international players we have, we are not that bad. Top 7 to 10 is more realistic with proper management.

• 11 winnynufc // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Cant help it but i fear for us, i really do! I know we havent got as many games as last season but we have got the same players as last season! Remy apart, who is injured(Shock) we have no new faces!! Where’s the lift with new players not just for the supporters but the players as well! Cabaye if he starts awfull will know he will play every week, cisse if he carries on the same he will play every week!! Jonas will play every week the guy with no assits last season & who’s legs have gone while Marv & Goofy are twidling thumbs on the bench!! I fear a trouncing against city, i for one will have the pillow half over my face!! Hope im proved wrong HWTL.

• 12 JaxtheMag // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:44 AM

maybe pardew is going to play faye up front,you have to laugh coz its a shambles. AP and JK want players but ASHLEY wont pay up.

• 13 Santon03 // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Jax

if you were the owner not Ashley, we would probably have 10 Xisco and Owen.
    Do you honestly think Gomis will be improvement to the squad?

• 14 Tommyy // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Everyone else ready for the feeling of utter desperation when the team is announced and it’s ridiculously unbalanced and defensive?! Me too.

• 15 Tommyy // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Santon – what a stupid comment. Of course Gomis will be an improvement to the squad! I’d be an improvement to the squad simply because I’m an extra body, that’s the state we’re in.

• 16 Santon03 // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Even Lyon’s manager doesn’t want gomis

• 17 lesh // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM

repost from previous thread (coz I know Lilongwe’s a very busy bunny and doesn’t have time to skip back!)

Lilongwe Geordie…. 15c? Winter drawers on!

You made some valid points at 56 and as you say, the TV revenue is guaranteed to a minimum level and depending on the club’s financial accounting year, may be spread over two financial years. As you rightly say, other revenue is dependent on playing performances over the season.

But, were Ashley to draw down his debt, then the club and any new investor would be better off for it because the monies he loaned were to clear bank debts and mortgages created by the previous owners. The club would not therefore be carrying that old debt and be more attractive to a new investor.

Maybe we’re witnessing Ashley’s exit stategy from Newcastle United?

• 18 Santon03 // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Tommy

So if we signed Xisco again, it will be improvement.

• 19 alex84 // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I am guna go with a 1-2 to the toon on Monday, Cisse with a brace.
    Can’t wait for the game.

• 20 geordiemark // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM

well here goes monday evening then, its not the man city game that bothers me its the west ham game if we either draw or we get beat I can see merry hell on at st james for ashley and co

• 21 Scottiedog // Aug 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM

West Ham are trying to get rid of Modibo Maiga!!!! Got to be worth a shot?????

• 22 ronjohno // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I would not normally make a comment – but for you to say GOOD NEWS jonas might be fit for Monday!!!!

If that is good news then God help us when bad news comes.

• 23 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Worryingly he’s saying we’ve conceded goals and need to fix it. I don’t think we can get much more defensive.

Alan, we’re struggling to score as well. To fix that, we need to focus on maintaining the ball, understanding where players will run to and why. They should know what the other is doing before they even receive the ball.

Focus on doing the positives offensively and we are automatically defending as a result. Giving them less chances on the ball, therefore less opportunities to score.

Focusing on defence more, judging by what awful instructions Pardew gives, is literally panic defending. Get rid of the ball to an isolated Cisse and watch the ball head back towards our box for another wave of attack against us.

Diabolical, and Pardew is well out of his lower league depth.

• 24 bobby mango // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Voice Of Raisin – you’ve summed up my feelings.

Santon03 – Gomis would definitely improve our squad. He’s far better suited to Pardew’s play than Cisse.

• 25 Santon03 // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM

One thing for sure if Tiote plays, he should be playing ball-winning role, not Pirlo’s role. He doesn’t have the skill to play like Pirlo and he often lost the ball in dangerous area.

• 26 ArtyH // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Hate being negative but cannot see us winning at City, then the hammers at the toon have Nolan and Carrol as sure fire scorers ( its fate ). Then to add insult to injury its Fulham the week after and Bent has to be a scorer of one or two goals just to prove we made a big mistake in NOT signing him. I’m really depressed at the thought of the opening games now due to the incompetence of the idiots who are in charge of our precious club.

• 27 geordiemark // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM

dont think carrol will be playing isnt he out injured, we will just have to wait and see what happens in these games but I do know one thing ive got no faith in pardew and deff no faith in ashley at all

• 28 sa80teur // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I am cautiously optimistic that this season will be better than the last. Our aim should be the Europa League.

We signed a couple of our summer transfers early (jan), and it was badly needed at the time. This will give the a headstart on this season as they’ve already come to terms with the pace, aggression and fitness required. I accept that we should have bought last summer, and failed to do so.

I dont want us to sign average players just to ‘get more bodies in’.

Newcastle cannot afford to lose Cabaye, but we can afford to lose Tiote.

• 29 geordiemark // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:23 AM

santon

I think cabaye is playing so far deep it gets into tiotes way think it would be best for cabaye to play higher up the field then tiote will get back to his normal game

• 30 geordiemark // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM

sa80teur

I dont agree with the sale of tiote really cabaye yes but not him look at the games last season cabaye was always alongside tiote, I really dont think tiote likes anyone anywhere near him haha I think if cabaye gets his arse futher up the pitch we will see the tiote of old soon enough

• 31 sa80teur // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I agree Cabaye is most effective when further up the pitch and receiving/using the ball. I’d love Anita and Marveaux to get more playing time this year as they are both fast and classy little players. Our play needs more pace!

I have no idea why Pardew wants Sissoko to play a number 10 role. I would switch Cabaye and Sissoko immediately.

• 32 lesh // Aug 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

You could take Pelligrini’s words (We’ll see next week if I can bring in the player I need,” “We have conceded too many goals, and we will have to find ways to fix that.”)

Substitute the words ‘not scored enough goals’ for ‘conceded too many’ and there you have the words Pardew should be uttering and Kinnear should act on! However, the difference us that Citeh’s owners will act whereas ours……?

• 33 gazzaforever // Aug 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Hba cisse marv. With cabaye cam and sissoko/anita cdm. No fcking Jonas.

• 34 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Aug 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Have not been on for a while !

Can,t believe that we are starting the season away at Shitty with no additions to the squad and three or four players either sold or retired?

I don,t want to be negative but i fear the worst on Monday evening i really do !

Having said that, everyone will be expecting us to get beaten easily, including Shitty self? We may be able to use that ro our advantage?
    Hoping for a 2-2 result, and with Krul back fit we may have a chance?

previous post: Lyon Still Trying To Persuade Top Striker To Stay