The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Full-Back Now Doubtful For Season Opener – But Jonas Fit

10:25 am, Saturday, August 17th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

There are reports in the local papers today that Italian International Davide Santon is not fit enough to start in the Newcastle side at the Emirates, and it seems he’s picked up a hip flexor muscle injury..

davide santon scoring ncle gopal at wigan

Davide Santon – scoring last season at Wigan

And just when we though Newcastle were doing very well this summer with having very few injuries, this is a little bit of a disappointment.

The hip flexor muscles allow us to lift our knees and bend at the waist, and they are located in your upper thighs, just below the hip bone – there’ll be a test on this later. :D

The report is that the left-back is now doubtful, and may not be available to start the game at the Etihad Stadium, and we should hear more on this when Alan Pardew gives his press conference for the Manchester City game.

If Davide is not available then surely Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa will come in at left back, and Steven Taylor, who sat out the  training yesterday,  will partner Fabricio Coloccini in central defense. Steven is expected to be fit to start at City.

Mapou has been pushing Taylor hard in pre-season for that center-back spot, but the Frenchman played great at left back in the last few games of last season, and he may continue in that role against Manchester City.

Another alternative is local lad Paul Dummett, who has looked the part in pre-season, but we think the Newcastle manager will go for the more experience that Mapou has – and the Frenchman played well last season for Newcastle is his  20 appearances for the side.

Newcastle’s 20 year-old left back Massadio Haidara has had a troubling pre-season due to injury, and he’s never appeared in pre-season at all, so he’s not an option

Whoever plays at left back is important because they will likely face new signing Jesús Navas from Sevilla in a £15M deal, and Navas has been capped 29 times by Spain, and is an excellent player.

And it looks like Jonas Gutierrez had recovered well from his leg injury and is fit for Monday night – and that’s good news with Jonas showing some good form in pre-season.

Comments welcome, but please be civil.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Davide Santon · Fitness · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Massadio Haidara · Newcastle News

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 mattyNUFC // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM

YAAAY!!! Jonas can take his place now!!

“vurnon’s like a new signing. we spent 6 million quid on him last year and i never played him, so it’ll stand us in good fettle.”

• 2 geordie157 // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I’d start Dummett at left back, throw him in against Navas and see how he does. Looks like he’ll have Jonas in front of him helping out.

• 3 magpie6699 // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I can see the postings now ‘ ” OMG not Jonas – going to slash my wrists / was hoping he’d be out for the season / he’s Pardew’s lover” – does that cover the rantings?

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM

jazzyp

Seems like we have the same attitude. I (mostly) enjoy supporting this club and I like to look at all the good things that we do. It seems that some people wouldn’t be satisfied unless we were at the level of Man Utd and that’s simply never going to happen. Even Chelsea and City with all their money are not of the status of Man Utd.

I just want to see the passion of the players on the pitch, the passion of the fans in the stands, a decent run in a cup, hopefully a tilt at the top 6 and you know what I really enjoy? I love seeing a young player coming through and becoming a star. It was great for all of us when Carroll did that and I think that was why we were so disappointed when we left (although in hindsight it was a fantastic deal!), so hopefully the likes of Haidara, Dummett, Vuckic, Sammy, Campbell, Streete, etc. will do something special this season. It doesn’t matter to be if they are Geordies or not, they all feel homegrown to me like Krul, Saylor, and Ameobi. Shame there aren’t more…

• 5 WWYCD // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Well the season kicks off today and our transfer activity is still woeful but stuff it City on Monday lets see just what we’ve learnt from last season won’t be many tougher opponents but a good showing there and we might just have a decent season

• 6 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Charlie

Which is what we did really well in 2011/12 and really badly last year due to injuries and loss of form to key players.

No excuses this year, proper pre-season for most players (including the 5 new Frenchies), no European Championship at the end of the season before, no Europa League to focus on, bigger squad, new Head of Performance, lessons learned by all. No excuses.

• 7 mattyNUFC // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

TDS

that’s a bit loaded there. I’d be happy in 16th spot if we played attractive football! I’ve said it time and time again. I enjoy watching swansea and southampton more than my own team! how bad is that??

• 8 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Jonas is back then, to help panic defend for extremely long periods. All hands to the pump trying to rid the water coming on board the ship. This is Pardew style defending and play, survival.

Really, he should be trying to fix the hole in the boat so we can sail again.

Pardew likes to survive, not thrive.

A good saying which I heard in the commentary of one Roy Jones Jnr’s fights yesterday. (Minus the Pardew addition of course).

Cringeworthy what he isn’t doing with these good players.

• 9 mattyNUFC // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

wwycd

good point. i’m off until then.

hope to god i’m proved wrong. i don’t care if we lose 3-0 on monday, if the ethos has evolved, i’d be elated. sadly, i’m nearly positive it hasn’t

• 10 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

mattyNUFC

I know what you mean. I think I enjoyed the Championship season even more than when we finished in 5th! We played some decent football (because we had miles better players than everyone else) and we had more freedom on the park because they were full of confidence. I felt that even when we finished in 5th it was often because of just one moment of great play or luck that meant we nicked the winner rather than consistent fantastic football. Don’t get me wrong, it was miles better than last year!

I think we have the players to play much better football though, I wonder if Pardew will be able to knit it together this year? He better!

• 11 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Alan Pardew, the master of lowering expectations.

Congratulations, Alan, on your underachievement. You’ve done really well making a struggle of every club you’ve managed. Good work.

What was that? You’d prefer NOT to be in Europe? Well, that makes sense, as you are the master of lowering expectations.

• 12 WWYCD // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

matty
    U won’t miss anything mate there’s nothing going on haha

But I don’t disagree with u I doubt we will do much different from last season

• 13 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I’ve created the best current and past Newcastle United team for the Fantasy Football league that I can come up with just for a kick…but it’s not that great! Am I missing anyone out???

KRUL
    CISSE

HARPER
    HUGHES
    MILNER
    RAMAGE

• 14 croftus5678 // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

yep no fears here as dummett is a first teamer anyways ! imo
    we have 3 great lb’s now in santon/hairdryer/dummett that i would even consider using santon at rb.

in reguards to gomis (as much as i think we need him and his type) i say leave the deal and stop wasting time with an owner who’s clearly far worse than ashley and tried to think up rubbish of what he can give to the pepers the next day.

go for a young 20+ half decent record striker from a foreign league that will not think twice about coming to us.

• 15 daztoon // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Pardew couldn`t knit a scarf never mind a bunch of technically gifted players together and if he did it would have as many holes in it as our defence

• 16 Rotonda heights // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Daztoon,

Point taken , but with a decent manager we could really fly.

People like Anita and Marv can’t get a start and Goofy isn’t the worst off the bench.

I think many injuries were caused last year by Pardew’s apparently effortless training sessions and unfit players being more susceptible to getting knocks.

Now we have Faye Downey so even if Pardew can’t organise ”passing and moving” drills, at least fitness shouldn’t be an issue and he can’t moan about Europa either.

• 17 Iain Dowie // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I wouldn’t start dummet like some of you are suggesting. A bad game can ruin his confidence and potentially affect his career. Making a debut against one of the best teams live on sky in the first game of the season harbors so much pressure. Imagine some of the bloggers if dummet caused a goal, straight away we would see ‘ hes not good enough’ etc.
    In my opinion Mbiwa will play there, last season he looked class at left back. Solid in defence and decent going forward. Plus we need our defence to work as a unit when playing against an attack like city rather then out full backs going missing.

• 18 JaxtheMag // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Jonas fit wow. never felt so flat on the opening day of the season.

• 19 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

We have:
    2 good goalies
    4 good full backs
    4 good centre backs
    4 good central midfielders
    4 good attacking midfielders/wingers
    2 good strikers (and I think Remy would play as above)

It’s obvious we need to strengthen with a striker and possibly another attacking midfielder/winger. Other signings are just nice to haves.

• 20 daztoon // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

@Rotonda heights

I agree Pardew and his coaches are not the answer and the potential we have will never be achieved under his reign.
    Its criminal that the Marv`s,Anita`s don`t get a start but what do you expect with a defend,defend,defend mentality.
    They arn`t Pardew type players he would prefer the likes of Henry of qpr and Sidwell of fulham.
    We have a good starting 11 but an average squad that is full of potential but that`s all it will be with Pards potential

• 21 Rake // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM

First interview Kinnear mentioned getting a striker and he thought we needed a pacey winger. WHATS CHANGED.

• 22 Slank // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Iain Dowie

Dummitt is good but for the first game of the season and facing some excellent opposition players I agree with you that Mbiwa would be better at left back.

• 23 AMEOBI // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

At the Emirates eh? Sure its Ethihad, finally sported am error woohoo

• 24 AMEOBI // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM

An*

• 25 colwell // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Our best LB is Mbiwa even if he is a CB, a LB first job is too defend and he is by far the best defender out of all our fullbacks. To be fair too him aswell he attacks well also.

Jonas if fit will no doubt start at City for his covering back, Pards will no doubt go defensive. Pards has admitted we never attacked teams enough I would be much happier if we attacked games but lost rather than defend them and still lose lol.

• 26 Indian Magpie // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

What is this that i hear.

I cannot say Pardew out.

• 27 magpie6699 // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM

tds 13 -don’t understand your team – Duff? Bassong?? Ramage??? Surely we have better at the club now?

• 28 remember69 // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM

ToonDarnSarf @ 4
    Well said sir. I think we need to remember why we are here. We are all so passionate about the club we love, and I feel lose sight of the bigger picture.
    Reading this blog is like being on a roller coaster, and if things don’t go we’ll we let our emotions rule our heads.

Before the season has even started we search for faults in anything and everything the manager and owner say or do. I understand these are voices of frustration but is this really supporting the team we love?

There is so much negativity on his blog – I hope and pray that we get a decent result on Monday so we can start focusing on the good points of he team once again.

• 29 hadthetshirt // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Why is it taking us so long to buy players.
    does ashley think he’s saving on wages till 2sept,.are we indeed in for any body.This Gomis affair is crazy.He’s not match fit so if we do get him when will he be up to speed.I thought we may buy early for a change and give the new lads a chance to gel.I will never learn.I hope after our first 3 games we have more than 3 points but I fear the worst.

• 30 remember69 // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Iain Dowie @17
    Totally agree. You don’t have play anyone play their first game against some if the best wingers in the world in such a high pressure environment . That us simply absurd, unless AP knows something we don’t……..

• 31 wynsleap // Aug 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Watched Navas throughout the Confederate Cup games. This bloke is devastating, quick feet and blistering pace and a superb crosser and provider.
    If we play Dummett against him it will be traumatic for the kid. Mbiwa must be played at left back.
    Nice to see the season is just starting and the injuries are beginning to filter through already. We should change our club name to Deja vu United.
    Got an awful feeling that after the first few games of this season the manure is going to hit the fan big time.

• 32 toonicle // Aug 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Ugh. Guti is gonna start again.

previous post: Newcastle Considering Fresh Bafetimbi Gomis Bid