The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Move In For Italian International Striker

6:38 pm, Saturday, August 17th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 173 Comments

News today in the Metro that Newcastle are after 28 year-old Juventus striker Alessandro Matri, who has played five times for the full Italian national side.

Alessandro Matri

Alessandro Matri – Italian International striker

It seems that Matri, who was born in Sant’Angelo Lodigiano, has one year left on his contract at Juventus, and had been put on sale by the Italian giants.

The news is that Joe Kinnear has already been in touch with Matri’s agents about a possible move to Newcastle, and the 6′ tall striker would be offered a three-year deal to move to Newcastle.

Alan Pardew has made it very clear that Joe Kinnear, the Director of Football, has to bring in at least one new striker before the transfer window slams shut on September 2nd.

Everton and Sunderland are also said to be interested in the striker, who has been put up for sale for around £6M – and Newcastle should be able to afford that.

That’s true isn’t it?

Matri started his career with Milan in 2002, and was sent out on loan to Prato, Lumezzane and Rimini to get first team experience before he was transferred to Cagliari in 2007, and was then sent on loan to Juventus.

He impressed at the Torino-based club and he was signed on a permanent basis by Juventus in 2011, and the striker has the ability to hold the ball up well, and spray it out to the wings in the style of a certain Alan Shearer.

He’s played 84 times for the Italian giants with 29 goals, and while at Cagliari he scored 29 goals in 84 appearances – so he’s a decent goalscorer, but will turn 29 on Monday.

Matri made his debut for Italy in March 2011, in the friendly game against the Ukraine in Kiev, and he managed to score his first goal for his country in the 81st minute of that game , and Italy won 2–0 – and a certain Davide Santon of Inter-Milan also came on as a substitute in the second half of that game.

Presumably if this news is true, Newcastle would like to close the deal quickly, and finally get the second striker we need on Tyneside.

Matri almost joined Napoli in July, but the move broke down at the last minute.

For £6M Matri could be a decent addition to the strike force at Newcastle.

What do you think?

Here;s some video of Matri.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

173 responses so far ↓

• 1 ERER // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I wish

Maybe we could sell Jonas to get more funds in to afford the deal *NUDGE * NUDGE

• 2 BWFFBW // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM

We need a Striker (and 2 if Shola leaves), Winger: Ince or Sinclair, and I wouldn’t mind a 21-24 yr old CB.

• 3 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Repost

toonking // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM

potski
    strikers that have left the club in the pardew era best, loven, ranger, carroll and ba
    strikers that have came into the club ba and cisse remy is just on loan so QPR can take him back if they choose.

No they can’t. We have a contract with QPR which will set out how/when/if he can go back to his home club. That contract is registered with the FA, so that Newcastle holds his registration during the time of the contract. QPR can’t play him, only Newcastle can. And you are not allowed to have contracts which start/end outside of the transfer windows.

The earliest the loan can finish is January, so until 1st January 2014 at least he is our player, and I understood it is a one year deal, so he is ours until 1st June 2014.

No details of the loan agreement have been issued that I have seen, but everyone expects that we have a clause where we can opt to take him permanently, either in January or next summer, if the threat of getting charged for rape disappears. If that is the case, then the contract means that QPR can’t even decide to have him back next summer if they get promoted straight back to the prem.. They can only have him back if he is very disappointing and we don’t want to make it permanent.

Remy is a “proper” signing. We are spending about £7m for him, and that will probably increase to £20m if he signs permanently.

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

And here I though Matri was 29?

• 5 scout // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Not A chance

• 6 mattyNUFC // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Would much rather matri than gomis. Funny, auto correct on gomis is “vomits”. Anyway, still would never be 20 goal a year striker but he’s a tidy, skillful player

• 7 bills-son // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Ruddy,

How many years did it take you to perfect being a smarmy arrogant pseudo intellectual?

• 8 mattyNUFC // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Pot ski, toonking

Neither of you know and neither does anyone else here the workings of these contracts.

• 9 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Bills

Nothing pseudo about me buddy, I’m the real McCoy.

• 10 toonking // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM

JB
    why can’t you just admit that you only support a team if it is perfect

• 11 bills-son // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Potski,

Some cracking posts.

• 12 AaranD // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Would be a good signing but I doubt it. Turns 29 in a couple of days. Just does’t fit our ‘transfer policy’ but then again who bloody knows these days.

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Sorry he will be 29 on Monday :-)

…can’t see this one happening. Too big a gamble on an Italian player turning 29!

• 14 welshgeordie9 // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Come on swans make it 1-2

Jack Army.

• 15 bills-son // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Ruddy,

Arrogant people always do think they are the real McCoy.

You prove the point.

• 16 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Ruddy

From previous thread.

£2m for the loan fee for Remy, plus around £5m in wages. I stated £7m because someone earlier today (not on this blog, but the same sort of idea has been expressed here) claimed that Ashley had not agreed for Kinnear to spend “one penny” this transfer window.

Regardless of being a loan, we are committed to spending alot of money for Remy’s services. Yet people are still claiming that it is not a “proper” signing and we haven’t done any business this window.

We’ve got our number one target from January, and I think (despite the bid for PEA) that Kinnear/Pardew.Carr would have regarded Remy as the one they were most likely to get who could significantly add to the squad. Bent was always just a Plan B or even C, if other options didn’t work out.

• 17 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Well it’s only human nature to praise the opinion of someone which reflects our own regardless of whether it has any basis in fact or not.

• 18 JackButler // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

toonking

When have we ever been perfect?

As I pointed out to you on the last thread that I have supported this club my entire life and it has never been perfect, for the most part its been far from it, you need to start to understand that not everyone is going to agree with what you believe and if they do this it does not mean that they are wrong and that calling someone’s level of support into question is a pathetic move on your part

• 19 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

matty

Would you like me to quote Premier League rules?

Perhaps you can tell me ONE EPL player where they have gone on a loan and have been called back by their home club outside of a transfer window?

• 20 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM

How good is Van Persie ? . Glad I paid all that money for him in my dream team ;)

• 21 toonking // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM

potski
    still the fact is for the last 3 transfer windows we have been shouting out for a striker yet we instead lost one leaving us with just cisse and shola the remy comes but he is out for a month.

also what makes it even more worse is every player we seem to be bring in is in fact no use other than a new sub because we have already got the CM.

• 22 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Bills

You mistake the courage of one’s convictions with arrogance, be careful when judging a person’s character through an internet forum though.

Potski

If you’re going to factor in wages then how much have Aston Villa spent in transfer fees and wages, how much has Swansea paid in transfer fees and wages, how much has Southampton paid in transfer fees and wages?

Work out those figures, and then compared it to the paltry expenditure of our club.

• 23 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM

*Compare

• 24 Unbelievable Tekkers // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM

oh my that was nice from rvp

• 25 bills-son // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Ruddy at 17,

What a load of garbage.

• 26 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Bills

What is your problem?

• 27 JackButler // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Ruddy

We are not allowed to hold an opinion that falls beyond accepting everything that Mr. Ashley and co throw at us.

We need to be grateful for what we have and not expect anything more

• 28 bills-son // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Ruddy,

Saying you are intelligent (which you have stated more than once on this forum) has nowt to do with the ‘courage of your convictions’ …

It just means you are a jumped up arrogant little man posing as a big intelligent one.

Simple as.

• 29 JackButler // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

• 30 Ben3arfa // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Matri is a finisher but he needs service and if our moron manager only wants one more player in then signing him wouldnt make sense.

we need a left winger to go with the striker

• 31 bills-son // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Ruddy,

The problem isn’t mine, the problem is yours.

You can give it but you can’t take it.

I simply keep proving that.

• 32 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM

JB

It would seem that way. Some seem to think that if I hold a critical opinion of the manager, the owner, the director of football or any of the players, that that means I do not support the football club, when in fact, it is down to the fact that I love our club that I want only the best for it.

What we have right now is a far cry from the “best” that we could have. We have an owner who lacks ambition for our on field exploits, we have some players who are not good enough for NUFC and we have some staff who should never be let anywhere near a top PL club like Newcastle United and if we’re honest, will never be at a club of our stature when they eventually get the boot.

Obviously, I will remain as opinionated as I’ve always been haha

• 33 aidytoon9 // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM

That dude is nearly 29. Need a young player.

• 34 Ben3arfa // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Bony just missed a sitter.

Hes an ok player but certainly not worth the 12 million Swansea paid

• 35 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Bills

I can take anything you give, I’m in no way offended, slighted, annoyed or perturbed by anything you have said to me, I am merely asking what you’re problem with me is.

Also, I’ve no problem whatsoever, I am relatively content, proffering my opinion on our club, is that alright with you?

• 36 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Nice finish from Bony

• 37 Ben3arfa // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

and would you believe it he just scored , BONY BONY

• 38 JackButler // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Ben3arfa

You were saying :D

• 39 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Dreadful defending, what was Welbeck at? Good finish from Bony though.

• 40 Korean Magpie // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Would rather have vucinic than him..

• 41 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Bills

The reality is that you’d have no problem with me if I agreed with you, the simple fact is that I have a point of view that is contrary to yours, I deliver it concisely and debunk the guff you give in response which riles you up.

Agree to disagree and let bygones be bygones. I am not going to convince you, you are not going to convince me so why are you so intent on falling out over it?

• 42 JackButler // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Radamel Falcao to be sold by Monaco

• 43 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Prem League rules:

“7.4 the minimum period of a Temporary Transfer [ie. a loan] shall be the period between 2
    consecutive Transfer Windows and the period of a Temporary Transfer shall not extend
    beyond 30th June next after it was entered into”

So a loan can be from summer to January, summer to summer or January to summer. Not less. QPR can’t decide in the middle of a window nor in January if it is a one year loan, to call Rmey back.

Ruddy

I don’t disagree with you that some other clubs have spent more money. The point I was making it is simply untrue for some posters to claim that the signing of Remy doesn’t count, we’ve not spent any money, he’s not really our player…

• 44 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I had a spat once like this with tads and a small one this tequila…they really pissed me off, but it is not worth ruining ones good mood over ;-)

• 45 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM

@ JB

Ha-ha, might also have something to do with him being reportedly 29 & not 27 as well like ;)

• 46 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I like the sounds of bringing in an italian to hold up the ball..!

• 47 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Jesper

Exactly, I’m in a great mood after getting the good news that I will be moving to Newcastle in 4 weeks time :D

Bills, how about I buy you a pint, you’ll see I’m not that bad in person, blogs are all huff and puff stuff :)

• 48 bills-son // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Ruddy,

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, more with the manner in which you do.

But, having said that, you sounded quite a decent chap in your last post :-) so I’ll ride with your way of disagreeing with me from now on. Honest!

• 49 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Ruddy…did you get accepted to the Uni in Newcastle?

• 50 Rooster // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Bills like yourself i have taken quite a bit of stick iver the seasons for sticking up for MA, i do understand that NUFC is run as a business and therefore wants the best possible value from these transfer windowsie buying players in the final year of contracts, we have done that to be fair as good as any club, bit these deals can be excrutiating for the fans, day 48 and still a lot of talk but very little walk!

It all means fans including myself at this moment really getting their backs up and slating the MA AP JK for the spenditure and personwl brought in, you have to then defend yourself against the attacks being made, arguments persue, its sumething you can do without.

We have bought a dozen players in the last 13 months, but we have to learn from last summer, we must, Gomis and a good winger would suffice me,but in tje meantime its tortureous waiting for everyone, and more arguments in store for yourself.

• 51 Ben3arfa // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Wow Swansea are sh1te , great goal by Welbeck ..

• 52 bills-son // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM

And Ruddy, I wrote 48 before I read yours at 47.

I drink Crystal Champagne by the way – magnums – not pints.

• 53 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Hilarious how Swans are getting praise from our own fans on twitter despite this display.

We really can be the most mystifying fans on earth

• 54 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Bills

I know I come across as an arrogant twat, but like I said, it’s all blog persona nonsense, I’m much more accepting of differing points of view in real life discussion.

Jesper

Yeah I did, going back into second year after a good few years out of the loop! Can’t wait!

• 55 AndyMac // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Potski says:

“We’ve got our number one target from January, and I think (despite the bid for PEA) that Kinnear/Pardew.Carr would have regarded Remy as the one they were most likely to get who could significantly add to the squad. Bent was always just a Plan B or even C, if other options didn’t work out”

So what plan is Matri then ? Utter BS Potski and you know it , except you wont admit it :)

None of it is done on the principle of finding the right player to fit into our current team set up.

• 56 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Bills

Man with expensive taste. I’ll buy you a glass of Lambrusco, call it quits ;) haha

• 57 bills-son // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Rooster,

If we don’t sign another CF, DM cover for Tiote and a CB I’ll consider this a poor window and I’ll blame Ashley if we have another poor season.

I’ve repeated that stance since the end of last season.

• 58 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Let’s get this guy over the line, we only have 2 weeks left 2 do so. At newcastle it seems 2 take a lot longer than that!

• 59 Beattie25 // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I’m so fed up with the striker scenario.

We need a LW and a back up RB more than we need a CF.

It would be lovely to have another striker to join the set up but any other manager with Cisse, Remy, Gouffran and dare I say Shola would find a way to get them scoring because we have 3 very good attackers.

What we lack is creativity in wide areas and centrally. If we signed a decent LW and pushed Cabaye forward we’d have all we need.

Then we could concentrate on purchasing a promising CF to push Cisse, Remy, Gouffran and Shola and also doing the same for the RB position, and dare I say CB.

If we bought (for example) Byram from Leeds, Magurie from Sheff Utd, Diego Capel from Sporting Lisbon and Uche Nwofor from Venlo we’d spend about £12 million and have a set team.

Too many people buy into the “we need a striker” thing.

• 60 bills-son // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Ruddy,

At last something we 100% agree on…

You come across as an arrogant tw@t :-)

You can’t be though – cos arrogant tw@ts wouldn’t admit it.

HWTL

• 61 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Ruddy…that sounds good :-)

…I am really happy for you mate – what are you studying?

• 62 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Im more interested in the tune that’s playing on that video rather than the player?

What is it?

Makes me want to go out, forget about all the kaos of NUFC and get MORTAL. Haha.

• 63 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Bills

Could be an intricate double bluff…haha

Anyway, what’s your predictions for Monday night? Needless to say I am hoping for the best, yet expecting the worst.

• 64 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Jesper

I’m going back into finish the law degree I started a few years ago. I’ve got 2 years of the course to do so I’ll be in Newcastle for at least the next two years. I’ve got into a rut lately so I am buzzing that I’m finally getting my teeth sunk into something worth while again, and to be in Newcastle again, even if I’m frustrated by the football haha

• 65 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Beattie man our winger situation was allegedly addressed by signing remy. Dare I say he might usurp Jonas

• 66 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Ruddy…so it is a 3 year study? A bachlor right?

…and you started studying in Newcastle, but moved/quit?

…I am glad you are back on that horse mate; what kind or law are you going to be studying?

• 67 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

toonking

I’m sure we are all disappointed that Remy was injured when he signed and will have a couple of weeks before he is fit. He can make a significant difference to our team as an attacking threat.

But you can’t blame Ashley/Kinnear/Carr/Pardew for that? Surely?

They have done everything possible to get him to the club, given:

1. the complications of the legal position
    2. the interest from other teams
    3. QPR hedging their bets
    4. the player’s own doubts about where his future would lie (not least because he would be concerned about the reaction from our fans after what happened last January), and
    5. his wages.

But to admit that seems to suggest that Kinnear might have successfully negotiated a new signing. The facts can’t get in the way of blind hatred for some people.

• 68 Slatymag // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Lets hope Chelsea don’t score 4 or more tomorrow as well or City will be out to put on a show at our expense.

Prediction 3-0. I’d be happy with that as long as we create a few chances along the way, no injuries. Sorry state of affairs really. Surprise me lads!

• 69 JP...from The Rock // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

This player looks promising, never heard of him though. I thought that he was 29 from an article I read. If he’s 26 like you say Ed, then let’s get him in, we need someone in asap.

• 70 Beattie25 // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Norcal

I’d love to think we’d play a 4-3-3 but we won’t under Pardew.

It’ll be 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 and Remy would not be effective on the LW in any of those formations.

Therefore we need a creative left sided midfielder or else…well I was going to say or else were screwed but we are already.

• 71 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Jesper

Yeah it’s a bachelors degree. I started it when I was 19 but being an Irish man given a ton of money and independence I simply went crazy haha still got good grades in my first year though ;) haha

So I decided to move back home until I mellowed a bit and then go back and give it my all, so here I am 3 years later deciding to go back.

Well in your first and second year you learn all the core modules, contract law, european law, land law etc and then in your third year you select your own modules, right now I am not sure what I intend to study for 3rd year, still have another year to decide that, but right now I am just glad I’m getting back over :D

• 72 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Anyway, back to the football.

Anyone see any of the other games today? I watched a bit of the Liverpool game and a bit of the Norwich game earlier and was very impressed with Liverpool, and Norwich showed some signs of upping it a gear this season.

Nathan Redmond looked tidy, and RVW got on the score sheet, doesn’t mean they’d have been great signings for us, but they’ve made a good start nonetheless.

• 73 Beattie25 // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Not sure about Matri.

I cant think of too many Italian CF’s that have done well in the PL.

Zola was special, Di Canio had flare, Vialli was great and Ravanelli did it for one season. Can’t think of too many others that have succeeded.

• 74 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

@Beattie

I fully agree, but of course we played Gouffran in that capacity in the 4-2-3-1, so I have no doubt Remy will be there if that’s the formation we use.

Even Pardew can see Jonas can’t hold a candle to Remy. I would prefer we buy a proper goalmaking winger anyways though rather than stick a striker there

• 75 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Anyone take a look at Liverpool’s 4-3-3 with an interchangeable front three? That’s the way forward, but we couldn’t play that style with Cisse up front as he is an out and out CF who is nigh on useless anywhere other than down the middle.

However, if we benched Cisse, played a front three of Gouffran, Remy and Ben Arfa, or Marveaux in there somewhere, we could play a rotating front three.

I know Pardew will not try this, but I think with the strength and creativity we have in midfield and the flair we have up front with these players, that this would really work, or at the very least, it couldn’t be worse than what we seen last season.

• 76 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Andymac

“Transfer policy, as we understand it, does not exist. The Fatman sends everyone out to find the cheapest deals, low buy out clauses or dissatisfied players who’ll agitate for a move.”

That sounds like a “policy”. It might not be a policy that you agree with, but if it is something that can be clearly expressed then it’s the old, “if it quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, then it must be a duck”.

Are Arsenal not attempting to tempt a disstaisfied player from Liverpool? Are Chelsea not trying to get a dissatisified player from Man U, who will be cheaper because he has not renewed his contract? Did Man U not test the waters to see if Fabregas was dissatisfied and they could tempt him away? Is Bale satisfied with his current club?

You talk like it would be a good idea only to go for players who are happy at their current clubs, have 3-4 years on their contracts, and their clubs don’t need the money. Then we can be happy that we signed someone because we did the “right thing” and offered high transfer fees/wages.

Ben Arfa, Debuchy, Cabaye, Mbiwa, Ba. Should be not have gone for them then?

• 77 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM

“The Fatman”

That made me lol

• 78 JaxtheMag // Aug 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

after city game the 3teams we play all won today.

• 79 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Well good for you Ruddy…just give ‘em hell ;)

• 80 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Cheers Jesper, I intend to do just that haha ;)

• 81 cestriasteve // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Beattie, I want 4-4-2 with proper wingers and proper full backs who are primarily good defenders.

Just out of interest show me what you would do with the midfield, Sissoko is the key this season but someone show me please where he fits in to 4-3-3.

• 82 G // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Matri is more a provider type forward, than a finisher, but he does know how to put them away too. Would love him at the toon, but I suspect he would prefer to stay in Italy. Would deffo do well for us with Cisse or Remy though, or even as part of a front 3.

• 83 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Cestria

As part of a midfield three of Cabaye Sissoko and Anita in my opinion. Play him box-to-box, Cabaye a little further up from where he usually plays, and Anita throwing himself about breaking up play, you could make a case for Tiote if he rekindles his form.

• 84 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Pardew reckons we’re prepared for the game on Monday, despite saying that the squad was in need of 2 or 3 players, and that the only player we signed will not play on Monday night due to injury.

So which is it Alan? Do we need to sign players or are we suitably prepared for the season ahead? Can#’t have it both ways.

• 85 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

*Can’t

• 86 roblee7 // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Anyone see McManamans horror tackle n red card today? Still raging that he never got a ban for that tackle on haidara

• 87 roblee7 // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

The guys a loose canon if there ever was one

• 88 Papiss9 // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Not many italiens has succeded in PL because they don’t often come to england. Balotelli did ok, in a team with a lot og competition for places.

Matri would be a starter in our team, so what if he turns 29. silly to only buy young. Better with quality than gambling on a youngster. Young, quality striker = a lot of money in transferfee.. wont happen this transferwindow.

• 89 G // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Just noticed on the live table that Sunderland are 4th from bottom. It’s like the football season never went away isn’t it?

• 90 cestriasteve // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Ruddy, I dont know if you noticed but do you think that Debeuchy looked very flustered last season when under pressure. Anita I reckon could be the key to supporting him defensively.

• 91 G // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM

@86 / 87. I take it Owen Coyle will be in trouble for that one after going on to the pitch to give Bournemouth players rock-all too?

• 92 Quasimodo's tailor // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Careful G…..wait ’til after Monday.

• 93 G // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

@92, just gettin em in now before me bubble bursts mate.

• 94 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Cestria

I’m expecting to see much better defensive performances from Debuchy this season once he’s settled into the side, although the fact that he’s got caught out a couple of times in pre-season doesn’t bode well.

Our DMs should be supporting our full backs better though, especially if we’re giving Santon and Debuchy free reign to bomb forward.

• 95 Belfast // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Great to see Rooney looking so happy tonight lol

200 grand a week and walking around with a face like a slapped arse. Hope they make him stay.

• 96 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Norcal

We played Gouffran on the left in 4-2-3-1, but the difference is that he is two footed, and as you can see in this video, can score with both feet:

Remy on the other hand is very right footed, scoring only with his right in this:

There is one clip of him getting down the left channel beating the defender to the line, but then cutting back Guti-like on to his right to deliver the cross.

I see nothing wrong with:

Remy – Marv/Cabs – Gouffran
    Cisse

• 97 check the toastie // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

433’s the way to go at Man city

……………………………..Krul…………………………..
    .Debuchy……Saylor……………Collo………Yanga.
    …………..Sissoko…..Cabaye…..Anita………………..
    …………Ben10…………………………..Goofy………….
    ……………………………Cisse……………………………….

Never gunna happen but if Tiote is in for Anita and Jonas in for Goofy it will be a team that should still be able to compete against most teams. Shame the manager is stuck in his ways.

Can understand the Tiote selection as he can be immense (long time ago mind), however Jonas has been poor for 3 years. Would just love to see this team selected consistently for the first 5 games. Unless Santons fit then he comes back in at LB, its a super team and we should be looking forward to the season.

But then there’s the old problem of Percy………

• 98 Slatymag // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM

What’s the cut-off day for getting someone in against West Ham, eligible to play that is? You never know…

• 99 cestriasteve // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Ruddy, cant help harking back to 2011-12 when Simpson and Raylor were in the team that got us 5th. I dont know how to explain but we got the players in defence and Midfield, some great talent and if it was put together correct, I dont know we could be a really strong team!! so frustrating!!

• 100 soundoid // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Lot of pressure on Man City now ! A fugly 0-0 would do us lads something Pardew is more than capable of, 1-0 agains’t West Ham would be a good start to the season. If there is something we do have is a squad that can play 4-5-1 changing to 4-3-3 on the counter. Will our Manager will do this remains to be seen. I guess we’ll have a better idea about that on monday :)

• 101 Belfast // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Jonas will start, think we all know that. First name on the team sheet no doubt.

• 102 Quasimodo's tailor // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Good point Belfast, but have you ever seen the ugly tvv4t with a smile on his face? You’d think with all his money he could afford a decent barber……although, wait a minute….

• 103 jeraziah // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Ed: He’s not 26, he’s turning 29 on Monday..

Full name Alessandro Matri
    Date of birth 19 August 1984 (age 28)

He’s to old and not the player we should be buying.

• 104 G // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

We need another striker, that’s a must, even with Remy there, we still need cover, every team that has been relatively successful in recent seasons has played with a front pairing, or front 3. I’m not suggesting we should be challenging for the title, but a relatively attacking based squad should be playing attacking football, not the lone front-man surrender tactic.

• 105 Slatymag // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I can’t believe I’m saying this but Jonas starting may not be a bad thing depending on who’s behind him. The lad is not much to shout about getting forward but he’s not lazy when it comes to getting back.

• 106 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Cestria

I think that with Raylor and Simmo we had full backs who simply defended without too much venturing into the opposition third, as such they were never really caught out of position, nor did the DMs have to protect them too much, whereas last season Santon got caught out a number of times and we didn’t have adequate cover when he decided to venture to the opposition so we then got caught on the break more often than not

So we simply need to get our DMs covering our full backs more when they decide to break forward.

With a fully fit Cabaye, a settled Sissoko, and Anita breaking into the team we could well play some good stuff, even despite Pardew haha

• 107 northernirishtoon // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Have to laugh at some people on here

Praising Swansea for the way they play even though they were stuffed 4-1. The very same people criticise us for the way we played in the season we got 5th.

Madness I tell ye

Potski – enjoying reading your posts at the minute. Any chance u used to post under a different id

• 108 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Jonas will absolutely start just for the fact he made 2 or 3 decent runs in preseason.

Pardew probably reckons he’s the man in form now.

• 109 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

northernirishtoon

F*** man, you should have seen some of the retweets by @NUFCfans.

When Swansea were down 2-0, there were Toon fans whining about our side whilst singing the praises of Swans and Laudrup. If we defended like that against Man U there would be Hell to pay!

• 110 Belfast // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Aye it was a piss take there tonight. Didn’t even celebrate when Man U scored.

I’m convinced he only wants to leave because he’s jealous of Van Persie. lol

He’s like a 5 year old kid

• 111 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

NorthernIrish

For the first 35mins they were the better team, conceded 2 sloppy goals in a matter of mins and were playing catch up the rest of the game.

Also, let’s bear in mind that they were playing the champions…

And if you’re insinuating that the football we played in the season we finished 5th is any way similar to Swansea’s style I would say you’re very sadly mistaken.

• 112 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Slatymag

You can register someone an hour before a match and play them, if the Prem League Secretary confirms the registration. I doubt you would get that confirmation other than on a working day Mon-Fri, but the rules don’t say that.

Certainly it appears we could sign Gomis on Monday and play him Monday night. Not going to happen, but the rules don’t prevent it.

• 113 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Bony is even bigger than I thought he was.

• 114 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Looks like you can’t post comments with multiple links to other sites without gettig it moderated by Ed. So repost and you can search for the videos easily enough on YouTube:

Norcal

[Search for Gouffran Welcome to Newcastle]

[Search for Remy Welcome to Newcastle]

I see nothing wrong with:

Remy – Marv/Cabs – Gouffran
    Cisse

• 115 stan anderson // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

See we are in 13th place after todays games,lets be happy with that,Mackems lose at home,things looking good to me.Wish it was the last games today,haha

• 116 check the toastie // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

We generally played shite football when we finished 5th, finished with pretty much a negative goal difference as well, took some serious beatings over the season, outplayed at home by such giants as Wolves and Bolton, people have twisted that season into something it wasn’t.

It was built on a massive amount of hard work, last ditch defending, unbelievable individual goals and a massive slice of luck. Some of the hoofball played that year was shite, unsung heroes of that year were Guthrie and Besty who put in some smashing performances.

• 117 northernirishtoon // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Ruddy

Not insinuating that at all if u read the post

Point I was making was that some people would be happy for us to play like Swansea and get beat 4-1 and finish mid table as opposed to finishing 5th (still with the chance of playing champions league going into the last game) and playing like we did that year

I know what I would rather

• 118 check the toastie // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Stan – think everyone should crack open the champagne tonight, I have a funny feeling 13th could be as high as we fly this year.

Thanks for cheering me up, 13th get in.

• 119 check the toastie // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

northernirish, – We wont finish 5th again playing like we did 2 years ago, that pot of luck ran out last year mate. However if this squad was coached and managed as Swansea are, we could very well finish 5th consistently, think you may be missing the point. Our squad is better than Swanseas.

• 120 Slatymag // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

@potski

Cheers. So old Joe has plenty of time next week to tell any potential signing his tall tales.

There’s got to be something going on in the background. Unless we are waiting on Rooney going to Chelsea before the latter trim there squad and loan us a player, or behind the scenes negotiations with PSG over a swap deal? I don’t know, he’s got to be doing something for his wages, hasn’t he!?

• 121 northernirishtoon // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Check

Give yourself a shake man

I’ve never heard such an achievement (which thinking about it now was massive) be interpreted in such a negative way

You must be really fun on a nite out

• 122 Thump // Aug 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

@jeraziah: Time to dust off the old Oba Martin’s song. “26 or 29 Alessandro Matri”

• 123 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM

potski

I see your point. Just feel like we are being cheap in the winger department. We bought a striker in Gouffran (albeit twofooted yes) and pushed him out wide, now we may possibly do the same with Remy.

If anything I could see Remy cutting inside from the LW onto his right, much like Hatem can do on his left. But I would just prefer having a proper double-digit assist winger – like the Mertens from PSV. That way Cisse doesn’t have to work on crumbs every other match.

• 124 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

northernirishtoon

Thanks for the compliment.

No, I’ve only ever been potski. That’s my name, and no-one else had got there before me when I registered earlier in the year:)

• 125 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Finish 5th: Lucky, individual play, scraped by

Finish 16th: S**t manager, S**t owner, S**t tactics

check…….

• 126 northernirishtoon // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Check

Ifs and buts mate

Let’s look at what we have. And in my opinion we have a squad which I think people on here over hype to make their points about how bad our manager and coaches are

I agree and which we could have better. Just wish people would be a bit more realistic about where we are at

• 127 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Maybe not Mertens btw thought he was an assist leader but apparently not.

There was some wingers we were tracking in the Eredivisie though.

• 128 Belfast // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Norcal thought the same thing about Bony when I seen him earlier. Looks a lot heavier in the flesh lol

• 129 Jail for Ashley // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Potski,
    You seem to know a lot about everything yet claim Cisse was Bests replacement are you actually trying to claim that we replaced somebody before selling them first,are you sure or did you get mixed up ?

• 130 stan anderson // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Check the toastie,i honestly think this is as good as it will get unless JFK uses his charm and Football no how to get the players we crave.But i cant see it mate.

• 131 89Norcal // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Belfast – I know Evra isn’t the biggest but Bony threw him down like a toy. His arms are pretty massive for a footballer!

• 132 Felipe // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Wenger blaming negative fans chanting about not spending money for their defeat today. Sounds familiar eh? Only hope our neggers don’t do the same for us.
    You know who you are…

• 133 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Yes, Remy could certainly play some times on the left and the video shows him scoring some very good goals when cutting in from the left. And Gouffran can swap and play on the right.

Like Ruddy says, there should be flexibility between the front three, and the two can swap during the game to catch out FBs.

Cisse is less likely to make runs into space behind fullbacks, but if Remy/Gouffran can exploit their pace to drag defenders out of the middle and make chances for Cisse I wouldn’t be too worried about that..

And hopefully in the process Remy and Gouffram can get their fair share of goals.

I’d only have concerns with Remy playing on the left in a 4-4-2, where you really need the wide players to make regular crosses from the touchline. Without a left foot Remy is not suitable for that position. However, if we play 4-4-2 then I would very much hope Pardew will play Remy upfront.

The Remy signing alone has significantly increased our attacking options. We need more of course. Gomis or Matri or who-ever else is on their list (NOT Bent) needs to be able to be a physical presence who can hold-up the ball in a 4-5-1, or win the ball at corners and freekicks. A mobile, fit and reliable Shola replacement.

• 134 AndyNUFC // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Felipe it is a surreal club, Arsenal. Had the best football team of any in the prem, consistently finish in the top 4, have a good stadium and academy – yet they have hit a glass ceiling where they are judged by their own fans as unsuccessful for not ‘buying’ leagues and cups. In some way like us flirting with good teams and nearly succeeding, we are still starving for a bit of silverware – but a big difference is our fans are the best in the league! Only turn on people that give us what we don’t deserve, certainly never deluded enough to assume that we “should” win everything.

• 135 Jail for Ashley // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Felipe,
    I think you’re Ian Toon. Felipe sounds like one of his porn star alter ego’s !

• 136 Jamesthefirst // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

———————KRUL————————
    DEBUCHY—-COLO—MBIA——–SANTON
    —–CABAYE——SISSOKO——MARV
    —–BEN ARFA—-CISSE—-REMY

The BEST first 11 outside the top 6 by a country mile. If they were coached properly. If they played with a high tempo with the ball on the ground, through midfield, this first 11 would beat most teams in the PL.

With all know the coaching and tactics of how these players are used is the problem. But stop moaning about lack of signings. We already have a better first 11 than anyone outside the top 6.

• 137 lesh // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Felipe @ 131

I’ll second that. But I wonder why Arsenal have cleared so many players out and bought nobody yet?

They’re not skint and all I can think of is that Arsenal may well make a stink about the application of the FFP rules – or not in respect of the big spenders of Europe – PSG, Citeh, Chekski, Monaco et al,

Whoops, nearly left us of the big-spenders list!

• 138 jazzyp // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Evening guys
    Bafe looked tasty tonight in the reserves. Scored a brace and rumours that we have gone back in for him

• 139 lesh // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Oh, and nearly forgot, Pardew in!

• 140 yo-yo // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM

How about we sign Bafe and Shola gets his move to the Smoggies before 2nd Sept.
    Would that do ?
    Considering AP has been making lots of noises to reduce our incredibly high expectations of his boss

• 141 jazzyp // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Yo-Yo
    That would do nicely. Shola as good a servant as he has been should be no more than a squad player at best.
    We desperately need another Cf in before the window slams shut.

• 142 nufc_eire // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Would love to see this team

——————————–Krul————————-
    ———–Alderweireld—-Colo—-MYM————-
    Debuchy—————————————-Santon–
    ——————Cabaye——–Sissoko—————-
    —————————Ben Arfa———————–
    ——————-Cisse————Remy—————–

• 143 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

JFA

I explained how Cisse replaced Best the other day, but you said you couldn’t follow it.

What I will say is that many people say we should bring in a new player for a certain position BEFORE we let the old player go. When we have done successfully that nobody seems to notice. With all the comings and goings over different windows it can get confusing I admit.

But let me try:

1. Simpson decides he wants more money and won’t sign a new contract offered to him in 2011 or early 2012.
    2. The Chairman (or now DoF) informs the Manager and Head Scout to warn them that we need to replace Simpson within 18 months.
    3. A year before the contract is due to expire a replacement has been identified – Debuchy – and negotiations take place to bring him in, then allow them to sell Simpson for a decent fee. But Debuchy’s club drag their feet after everything seemed all set, and the deal falls apart at the last minute. The club decide to wait until January for Debuchy and don’t offer Simpson for sale.
    4. January the club go back in for Debuchy and this time his club relent and let him go, knowing that if they don’t he will sign for Newcastle on a free in the summer and they will lose him for nothing.
    5. The club can now sell Simpson, and offer him for sale before the January window closes. But he is injured and might be out for a couple of months. No-one wants to take that risk, especially as they know they would get him for free in the summer.
    6. Debuchy is registered to play for us in the Prem League and plays most of the games, but is not eligible to be registered for Europa League.
    7. Simpson returns from injury and the manager decides to use him in a couple of games, despite the fact that he is on his way out. He is still registered to play for us in both EPL and Europa, because other injuries (such as Raylor) means there were available spaces in the 25 man squads.
    8. Summer comes and Simpson is a free agent. No doubt the club have reconsidered whether to offer him another contract, but have decided against it. Other young players like Dummett and existing first team players (Mbiwa, Anita, Santon) can play at RB if cover is required.
    9. Simpson signs for QPR.

A very similar set of circumstances existed with Best, except fot the contract dispute. What prompted the replacement of Best with Cisse was purely ability – Best was a Championship player, signed when we were in the relegation season. The club decided to upgrade him and replace him with Cisse.

I’m not sure what is difficult about that?

The confusion only occurred in the minds of people who decided that the signing of Ba as a replacemnt for Carroll didn’t actually take place. They convinced themselves because Ba was on a free transfer that he was not good enough and was only there as a squad player. Those people all got a massive shock when Ba scored so many goals (presumably they never bothered to look at his goal record, or the number/quality of the goals he had scored for West Ham in the EPL). The myth continued because Ba did not take the number 9 shirt.

• 144 microbar // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Why cant JK just shut his fat mouth for a change instead he tells anyone who will listen to him, Our full transfer business, In the end the deal never gets done because the idiot does not have the first clue on how to negotiate, This club is in a downward spiral.
    We could very well end up like Portsmouth.

• 145 Quasimodo's tailor // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Microbar – that’s been done to death.

• 146 Slatymag // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

What do people reckon about Cleverly vs Kovalev?

• 147 Slatymag // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Here we go! Got to love Buncy.

• 148 We are the mags // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM

i personaly dont think that player looks that good to me plus all his moving around in his career makes me sus

• 149 JaxtheMag // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

ed that metro paper is only good for 1thing, wipeing your arse.

• 150 padthemag // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I don’t know why everyone thinks buying really young is such a good idea it’s only gonna benefit fatty he don’t care if they are good for the team they will be sold and replaced with shite if at all. What’s gonna happen when we get an injury or 2 up front we are worse off than last season by a mile as we don’t have demba ba Alan pardew is a spineless cnunt being taken for a mug and acts like he’s hanging out of Ashley’s fat arse

• 151 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Who are the young players who have been brought in, then sold and “replaced with shite”?

We don’t have Demba Ba, but you seem to forget that we would not have been in a good position last year if Demba Ba had been injured at the start of the season. I think we would have been relegated.

We have more options now if Cisse is injured, and I still think they are genuinely trying to sign another forward.

• 152 geordie157 // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Another 90 mins for Gosling then, I still think he has a chance of making an impact this season. Vuckic also played well and could be on the bench Monday, after playing about 55mins.

Wonder if Bigi will be loaned out

• 153 Slatymag // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Well the bookies were right with that fight. Nice bloke the Russian as well. I hope he doesn’t fight B-Hop as it’ll not be a nice way to end the legend’s career.

• 154 Blofal // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Matri doesn’t look to be the clinical finisher I have had in mind. Hopefully he is good with assists. A striker playing just in front of Cisse and holding the ball up for him could work.

• 155 Crow59 // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

@slatymag

Big step up for him in opponent and he didnt adapt, some serious power from the russian thou anf im sure we will hear alot more of him in the near future. Really hoping Barker can cause an upset tonight as i genuinely believe its his time.

Back to football

• 156 beddersmag // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Check @116

I think you do down our performances in the 5th season. Yes not a great goal difference but we shipped about 30 in 7 games where we got thrashed. Aside from those games our defence was title winning class in terms of goals conceded.

Yes we had a lot of narrow wins and there was not a lot attacking flair (aside from the best ten goals i have ever seen scored by one team in one season) or massive goal return.

However, for the first time in many years we looked an effective and cohesive defensive unit from front to back, closing people down, working hard, and positional play was very strong- clearly well drilled.

We frustrated some good sides and many pundits by keeping it tight and popping up with goals when it mattered. Those attributes i mentioned were as important as scoring goals, and therefore we deserved where we finished. Its a cliche but the final table doesnt lie

• 157 beddersmag // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Crow59

I know its off topic but indulge me, how did the fight go? Assuming cleverly got sparked out?

• 158 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

would take Matri in a heartbeat… bit like Michu but not anywhere near as good in the air

Glad MOTD is back on!

• 159 colwell // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

NUFCfans ?@nufcfans 10m
    #NUFC looking to hijack #LFC’s £15m move for Anzhi’s Brazilian winger Willian, according to @MirrorFootball. Kinnear to hold talks Monday.

I wish

• 160 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Colwell

haha I wish is right, he will cost a lot more than 15m for a start, Anzhi are never gonna take 10m loss in 6 months on an improved player… if even the Monday rumour was true I’d be ecstatic :-)

• 161 colwell // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

What a gem of a player Coutinho is he creates like 5 good goal scoring chances every time he seems to play.

• 162 colwell // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Krul To Be Kind

Lol the chances are we will offer 15m knowing full well they want twice as much, just couldn’t drag him across the line.

• 163 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM

haha, some player to be linked with, the right noises maybe it is that beast Traore they are more realistically looking at

• 164 Crow59 // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM

@beddersmag

In truth it was embarassing. All the cleverly doubters will no doubt be out in force but credit to him for taking the fight. The russian has immense punching power with both hands and in the 3rd landed 2 barrages of accurate power punches to twice put cleverly down. The ref should have stopped the fight but luckily and controversially he made the bell. An immediate serge of punches early in the fourth and he was a gonna but tbf should have been stopped after the first knockdown.

Sorry to speak boxing as i know it pisses people off but im only politely responding to demand

• 165 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM

cheers for that crow, always nice to get an update on good british fighters… shame cleverly got downed, hope it isn’t a demise on the horizon!

• 166 Slatymag // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM

@beddersmag

Aye Cleverly got stopped in the fourth, was out on his feet at the end of the third and never recovered. No shame though as Kovalev looks the real deal.

@crow59

Really hoping Barker can get back up there. He really has been through the mill that lad with injuries and his private life. Good fighter as well – was impressed with him even when he lost to Martinez. He seems better than domestic level but his weight division in World terms is tough.

Willian? Not for 15m. And quite frankly I don’t think he’s worth what Liverpool are supposedly paying for him. Next…

• 167 Crow59 // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Many have said cleverly lacked the ability to beat top level fighters. Theres no doubt he has amazing boxing ability and had the fight gone on longer i think he really could have took the fight to the russian. However he showed as many fighters do at top level that he cant stick to a gameplan and lacks the focus to really be up with the big boys. Shame but at least now its out and imo koverlev has just turned himself into a mega star. I can see ricky burns losing to beltran aswell so theres another world title gone so really hoping barker can do the business.

• 168 headtheball // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Did a recent assignation occur between WG Grace and a tallish blonde lady of indeterminate age and how was the cricket? Any takers?
    HWTL

• 169 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Willian is excellent, since when have NUFC fans forgotten what constitutes a good player?

• 170 potski // Aug 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Krul To Be Kind

It is possible that Anzhi are prepared to take the loss.

Their new manager after Hiddink left was sacked after only 16 (sixteen!) days, and then immediately after that:

“On 7 August 2013, Kerimov [the owner] decided to drastically cut the team’s budget. Anzhi [announced] that the club planned a fire sale of players to trim costs. True to his word, on 15 August 2013 Yuriy Zkirkov, Igor Denisov and Aleksandr Kokorin were packaged to FC Dynamo Moscow for an undisclosed fee. The three players had been purchased with the previous two years at a cost exceeding 50 million euros.”

Nevertheless, his fee to Anzhi was thought to be 35m Euros, so fire sale or not, I would have thought he is outside of our budget. If not then they have to get him in despearately – we will need a replacement for Collo’s hair soon.

• 171 RobertLeeNo.7 // Aug 18, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Bony looked lost half the time he will be dominated by defenders in this league. I can see why we wouldn’t pay 12mil. I know he needs time to settle but half the time he didn’t know which channel to run in. Average at best for this standard. He’ll have a half decent kenwyn jones first season type of season and that’ll be it. Never step up nn play for one of the big clubs.

• 172 RobertLeeNo.7 // Aug 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM

IF we get a striker id like us to get one that is a threat in the air to mix it up from cisse (poacher, special goals) Remy (pace skill and finisher) but we need one that is also neat on the ball as good in the air.. Would be great if we could get someone in that plays like mario gomez style

• 173 RobertLeeNo.7 // Aug 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM