Coloccini – Newcastle Is A Special Club – I Want To Stay

Fabricio Coloccini has been interviewed before Newcastle’s  game tonight at the Etihad Stadium, and he has revealed the family problem he had in January, and that he chose in the summer to continue to play for Newcastle United,  rather than to return to Argentina, where his family is now located.

fab coloccini scores - Braga

Fabricio Coloccini – wants to see out contract

This is what the Newcastle captain said in an interview in the Guardian:

“As you know, I had personal problems,” “I spoke with my family this summer and had to take a decision. I told them I’ve worked all my life to have my dream of playing at the top level of football.”

“It was a difficult conversation but they could understand that and that’s why I’m here now.” “I made my decision in the middle of the holidays. I am here now and I am happy.”

“My relationship with Newcastle was very important in making my decision. All the fans in the street, when they stopped me, they asked me to stay and those things sometimes make the difference.”

“Newcastle is a special club for me, of course. I’ve supported San Lorenzo since I was small but I feel something for Newcastle now. I’ve been here five years and the fans are amazing. I have a contract for a long time here and hopefully I can see out that contract.”

“I knew Pope Francis was a San Lorenzo fan. He has a season ticket and everything,” “You could tell he still really loves San Lorenzo when he spoke with us last week.”

“I shook hands with him. He is always speaking about San Lorenzo and so for me as a fan, it was amazing.”

Newcastle fans love to have great players on Tyneside, and even more than that, they want players who are committed to the Newcastle cause.

It’s probably fitting that Newcastle have a captain who has dedicated himself to Newcastle United, and wants to see out the remaining three years of his contract on Tyneside – but away from his family.

That’s some sacrifice and that’s some dedication to Newcastle for you.

It’s small wonder Colo is a folk hero on Tyneside.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Just popped back and noticed some Shola bashing…

I found a stat earlier on Shola. If Cisse had played the same number of minutes in the PL for NUFC and scored at the same rate he has since he joined the club then he would have scored…69 goals. Compared to Shola’s 41.

So that’s a bit like saying if they played the same minutes in a whole season together and Cisse got 20 goals, Shola would get 12.

• lesh

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM

There you go. Joe’s obviously had a word with the How’s and he’s had a chat with Collo.

Is there no.limit to Kinnear’s influence? Not only can ha phone any manager at any time, but Pope Francis, that takes some beating.

I wonder if his little black book’s got an entry under G?

• brian kilclines pony tail

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

@ToonDarnSarf

so for a striker he would score the same amount as i would want a midfielder to score.

im actually surprised, i though we would have been looking at full back goal scoring ratio for shola 😉

in all seriousness though i dont even count him as a player any more, he is some kind of entertainment guru for new players to show them around town, when he is on the pitch he would be more productive if he sat down than stand up and try to run and jump and other things like that.

• gonufc (Release the Hatem Bomb)

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Colo, you don’t need the pope now you have Joe Kinnear- he’ll tell you all about how pious and wonderful he is…

• lesh

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Eat your hearts out Scousers, not many players by Papal Appointment on Merseyside eh?

Jack Butler. As you’re not old enough to be that Jack Butler, which Jack Butler are you then?

The guitar maker or the Corrie one? Your public needs to know.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Can we have some scores from Ethiad?

How do people think we will fare up on the rd here?

Are we Fu##ed or what..

• lesh

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Correction – • There you go. Joe’s obviously had a word with the Pope and he’s had a chat with Collo.

Mickey Ashley phone!

• Blofal

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I really wish we would loan out Shola to a Championship club. He is top bloke and I think he would score a bag full in the Championship.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM

City 3 – Toon 1

I’d love a draw though.

Nevermind.

• boater

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I would start with Shola alongside Cisse tomorrow night. He’s looked sharp in pre-season and Cisse plays better with a target man. Going in with the same powder puff 4-3-3 that crawled over the line last season is insanity. It doesn’t work.

• jimmysmith

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Whatever way we go, without Remy we are likely to offer little goal threat, if last season is anything to go by. Getting in a striker who you know isn’t gonna be fit to start the season without another to legitimately fill the breach in the meantime is regrettable. But who knows Shola and Gouff might step up, they are capable goalscorers but not as often as is needed by this team.

• toontillidie

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Toon-Prodigy – im gonna go for a 2 – 1 win for the toon man city’s defence have really been sat back pre season i think we will win with a brace from Cisse 🙂

• toontillidie

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:38 AM

lets think about it guys just cos they thumped us last season dont mean the lads arent ready for it, the guys know we expect a good game and i am sure they will give it their all we will let a goal in but i think cisse will come up trumps