Newcastle Going After Some Top Players

News today in the Daily Mail that Newcastle manager Alan Pardew watched Lyon against Real Sociedad in the Champions League last night,in the first game of a two game qualifying tie, as Newcastle seem to be considering going back in for Bafe Gomis, as we reported late last night.

Lyon were outplayed at home by the impressive looking San Sebastien  side, who scored two fantastic goals.

Yoann Gourcuff

Yoann Gourcuff – Newcastle now interested in this player

Newcastle were torn apart by Manchester City on Monday night and we were lucky to come away with only a 4-0 defeat (let’s be honest – thanks Tim), and the positive effect could be to sting Newcastle officials into action and buy some players this summer, and it looks like Newcastle will now get at least £20M from PSG for Yohan Cabaye.

The news this morning is that Newcastle are interested in Lyon midfielder Yoann Gourcuff, who is 27 years old and has been capped by France 29 times and he’s an excellent player.

Alan Pardew is said to be in France with Joe Kinnear and Graham Carr, and we have to believe secretary Lee Charnley is also over there, and it seems the brains trust is grouping to decide who they should move for – when they get the deal for Yohan Cabaye agreed to – probably with PSG – because Arsenal will not pay out the money for Cabaye.

Why we’ve waited this long we have no idea, but things will change when Yohan goes, which now appears almost a certainty, and then we would need a striker and a central midfield player brought in.

Bafe Gomis was not in the squad for the Lyon side, as he awaits what his future may hold, but Yoann Gourcuff, played the full game.

Maybe Newcastle can agree a double deal with Lyon for the two players, but the negotiations with Lyon for Bafe Gomis were torturous, with no success for Newcastle – yet.

We’d be happy enough if Newcastle could get these two players to Tyneside and Tom Ince from Blackpool in the next 12 days – assuming we lose Yohan Cabaye – that would work.

Comments welcome, but please keep them civil.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• catchy in norway

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM

you think sooo ?

• Rainrix

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Ibiza FP… Drama Queen? I’ll dodge that issue 🙂

I think like you said earlier a fair few people have been pushed over the edge, Ryder included apparently. I dont think any signings will really placate anyone unless he really busts the checkbook out

I have noticed a lot of people have seemingly dropped the pardew bashing and are focusing on ashley now, which is the root problem. It feels like things are drawing towards a conclusion now. Maybe thats just me but a lot of people are truly disheartened

• lesh

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Yeh ok, whatever!

• Santon03

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Catchy repost

They are not there to sell Cabaye, they are there to watch some players they going to buy.
    Do you think they go there and asking PSG or Monaco, can you buy Cabaye for 25mil please?
    Even if they want to sell him, they won’t go there. the buyers will think we are desperate and the bid won’t be higher than 10mil at the end.

• t00ntime

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

(Repost)
    @Richy dont know. Just seems strange to meet them at Lyon then go to Nice and fly home, when they could of just booked a flight to paris (both Paris and Nice are about the same distance away from Lyon if I remember right.) and whilst AP watched Lyon the other 3 cud of been in paris talking. Then meet up there instead of at Nice.
    (Since only AP was spotted at Lyon I think)

Aw well guess we will find out soon enough. (Btw dont know i you guys saw it but nufc.com said we were moving in on 2 targets and Mark Douglas said it is very possible, neither trust worthy sources like but thought I’d say )

• mattyNUFC

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

please not Gourcuff

Manny Fernandes over him every day of the week

• Wiz

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

We all seem to accept the premise we have to sell Cabaye to buy. Granted, he wants to leave, but we are not prepared to buy until he does. I’ve got a suggestion. Let’s buy first, and show the team we would like to win something. That will get them all excited, and they might play better. At the moment Pardew stands in the dressing room and trumpets: ‘Go for mid-table! We are striving for mediocrity!’ And they go out and play like miserable bastards.

• StephenW

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Gomis and gorcuff would turn the transfer window around for us, a defender like alderwield or sakho would be a big boost

• mattyNUFC

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

toontime

nufc.com not a trustworthy source????

they’re like, the ONLY trustworthy source….you don’t get your news from nufcblog, do you???

• Santon03

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Ibiza

What makes you so confident about pardew? I really want to know, because from what I’ve seen he’s good as temporary manager but not good for long term.

• mattyNUFC

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM

don’t want gomis

don’t want gourcuff

come on, carr, you can do MUCH better than these two!

glad it’s all speculation at this point. Gourcuff is too slow and flatters to decieve. Gomis is extraordinarily average

• Ibizatoon

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Can I touch on this whole “the fans are to blame as they keep paying in to the system” debate, as I get the feeling it’s going to be kicking around a while. Here is the fence sitters view of it…you lucky so and so’s.

I don’t think it’s meant to be hurtful or attacking. I think most of these people have been in the same boat as you, obviously love the club (why would they bother commenting for hours on end otherwise?) and are offering their views. They’re not questioning your support of the team, they understand why you go to the matches, but at the end of the day it is logical…if you don’t like something, don’t support it. Which ever way you dress it up, rightly or wrongly, if you pay money to the club to watch the team you are not supporting just the team, but the owner and his ideals.

If you’re really not happy, then that is the logical starting point, I think that is the point trying to be made. If you don’t like it, do your bit to change it. Easier said than done, but not incorrect.

• cadete

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM

according to @GFN_France and others they were actually in Nice yesterday, so not sure if this report about them being in lyon is correct at all(4 hours drive from Nice)

• Santon03

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

matty

Gourcuff is slow because he is not a winger or striker, he is a playmaker. gourcuff price tag was around 6-8mil, last season Lyon tried to sell him but he was injured badly.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Santon…I’ve not said I am confident in Pardew…not in a while anyway 😉

Here you go, my re-post to Catchy..

Catchy…The job he was hired to do? Yes. The job us fans want him to do? Not for most of them.

I’m talking about Pardew keeping his job. I think there are two things that would lead to Ashley firing him.

1) Not meeting his objectives. I am more and more believing that the objective is to stay in the PL, there has been little to date to suggest otherwise. Glimpses of hope, but little follow through.
    2) As and when or if needed, Pardew will be made the scapegoat for Ashley.

That is what I mean by doing his job. I truly think your frustrations are aimed in the wrong direction Catchy. Yes Pardew has his faults, but those wont be address imo by a change of manager as Ashley will only aspire to more of the same…of course, just my opinion.

Rainrix…If someone can come up with a smart approach then I am all for it. What I can’t support is manic change for the sake of it. If we’re going to try and force change, then it should be structured or we’ll be back to square 1.

Right girls and boys, back to work. Catch you later.

• clinath@ed

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I am beginning to think I am the figment of other bloggers imagination…I find Ibiza explains everything I wants to say much better and clearer, expat and Lilongwe’s knowledge of football far outstrips my own, and I’m nowhere near as angry as Ruddy…!
    Sh!t, I even agree with Catchy sometimes….

Keep it up lads…

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I don’t know if Ed has some sort of device that goes off every time I am typing up a rant but he seems to post a new thread every time I go to empty my belly, so here it goes again:

Good morning folks, I see many on here don’t agree with what I’ve said and that’s their right, fair enough.

I am not from Newcastle, that is true, but I have been to St James’ Park many times, I went on a weekly basis when we were in the Championship and I have travelled from Ireland to go to matches as much as is humanly and financially possible for me to do so.

Does that give me less of an opinion over the best interest of our football club? Certainly not. In fact, Geordies do not know how lucky they are to be living no more than a stones throw or a metro ride away from St James’ Park, and by the mere convenience of where you are born, you think you’ve the right to say I have less of an opinion over boycotts?

Well, it is that blinkered mentality that has seen you all herded into St James’ Park last season, paying the piper while he leads on a merry dance to mediocrity.

I said last night, and I will say again, if you do what you’ve always done, you will get what you’ve always got.

Stop bleating on about “we average 52,000 fans a week, and we got over 40,000 while we were in the Championship” blah blah blah

why is that something to be proud of? It just means you are all gluttons for punishment that you will gladly give your hard earned cashed to a fat cockney b****rd who cannot believe his luck that he has bought a club where, no matter how badly you treat it or its fans, they will come back and ask for bloody seconds!

If you care about this club, you will stop going to football matches and stop buying season tickets, and stop buying merchandise. By all means support the club on away days, that will show you still care, but if your only interest is satisfying your weekly ritual because you’ve done it for your whole lifetime then I am afraid you are not doing it for the club, you’re doing it for yourself, which makes you incredibly selfish.

It means that you’ll sit idly by while our club goes into the mire. That makes you to blame.

Give me abuse for not being Geordie, if you want, tell me I haven’t got a right to voice my opinion because of the nature of where I was born compared to the man who lives 20 yards from St James’ Park, but don’t tell me I don’t care.

You were born with this club, your parents supported it, and their parents before them and so on and so on.

I chose this club, and maybe I do not understand the “ritual” of going to St James’ Park on a Saturday, but don’t tell me I don’t care about this club and am not willing to do something to try and help it.

• LooneyToon41

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM

@5. ToonTime, @9 Matty.
    I agree with Matty. http://www.nufc.com is a VERY trustworthy source.
    @13. They were in Nice Airport

• Beattie25

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM

For those who haven’t trawled through the various twitter pages looking for info here’s what came from those that met JFK, Pards and Carr in the airport.

Apparently there was a board meeting on Mike Ashley’s boat in St. Tropez.

When asked about players JFK said there would be “3 in by Saturday”.

• Santon03

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Ibiza

Ok I understand now what you mean about doing the job
    hehehehe

• jimBOB

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM

seems like Pardew and Co using this as an excuse to get away from the Geordie s, make it look like were shopping and they will never suspect a thing……move on

• toon kk

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Speculation speculation speculation!
    That’s all we’ve had since the window opened.
    We need PACE in our sluggish squad.

• Santon03

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM

on the subject of Ashley out protest, I think you need to find a suitable buyer first before protesting.
    It is waste of time if you don’t have someone with real money to buy the club, it’s not like Ashley going to say ok I will give you the club (lose 300-400 mil of his own money) just because people protesting.

• MacToon

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM

When you say read up on Maoc, what did you find Ibiza? Just curious.

• NewcastleMole

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Gourcuff reminds me of Downing with a bit more skill. Both players stats are similar.
    Id certainly have Gourcuff over Gouffran any day though.

But at the end of the day it doesnt matter who we sign, i mean if we signed Messi we’d still be playing the same crap football and thats down to Pardew who doesnt have a clue.
    He’s the only manager i know who can systematically make every player who plays under him perform below par.

What’s the alternative? Sack pardew and in steps Kinnear who’s gameplan is to snatch a goal then defend the rest of the game, eventually conceding at least one.

• JaxtheMag

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM

no1 else wants gomis so what does that tell you.no1 wanted debuchy either we tried to sign him for months look how hes turned out,hes not as good as simpson.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM

clinath…Wait, am I not a figment of your imagination? Now i’m worried, whose imagination are we a figment of?

• Santon03

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

for those who want to protest, please approach Mr. Erick Thohir first 😛
    He is wealthy businessman, he owns Phil 76ers (NBA), DC United (MLS), and just bought Inter Milan.

• clinath@ed

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Ibiza….we are all just splinters on life’s long fence..!

• Mint

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Shola to Blackpool + 5mil bid for Ince – you watch!

• Thump

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

It just means you are all gluttons for punishment

If you read the terms and conditions in becoming a club member and/or season ticket holder you’ll find that’s a requirement, Ruddy.

• Novocastrian66

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Ruddy; you’re a Newcastle United supporter, you’re entitled to have your say on the club. What I cannot agree with is blaming supporters who regularly attend matches for the state of the club.
    If people don’t want to or cannot go to the match for whatever reason; the hate Ashley, Pardew is a clown, because its too expensive, because they live too far away. Fair enough, do not criticise those that do go for state of the club.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Santon….Glad we got there in the end 🙂

Mac…Just running out now, but will pick this up with you next time if you’re about. As I said, just started reading up today, seen bits previously in the past, but it has all come across a little bit soapbox to me in the past…I am just trying to gauge whether that was the case or just my perception at that time.

Take it easy all.

• Thump

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Alright MacToon, mate. How’s it going? I need to get back up to Toon and have a pint with you lads sometime in the not-so-distant future.

• Toon1978

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Why do we have to sell Cabaye to stand a chance of signing someone? Hellooooo, NUFC recieved 60 million in Sky money at the end of the season. Where the hell is that money? Like Ryder said Ashley can not expect to to season ticket money one hand and give nothing back to the supporters with the other. It’s all take take take ATM with Ashley and I don’t give a f..k what the Ashley lovers think. The man is a disgrace and a waste of fresh air. Why is it always Nufc supporters that are the most unlucky and always crapped on from a great height? And to think it could have been Nufc in City’s position right now if it wasn’t for that mans greed. As usuall it’s City’s gain and our loss. Makes me sick to my stomach. SBR most be turning in his grave.

• MacToon

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Santon. I believe Ashley has had offers made to him and recently too and if he just wanted to make his money back and some he would probably be gone by now. However he’s being greedy and wanting far too much possibly and obviously that would put buyers off.
    Pressure on him might make him lower his price and accept a reasonably small profit instead of taking their eyes out?
    I know nothing as factual about this but I can’t sit on my hands anymore.

• LooneyToon41

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

@17 Ruddy.
    A fair opinion, and i’m not going to knock you for it because you explain yourself well.
    I live in Nottingham with my young family, so i don’t get to go to St James’.
    The club means different things to different people.
    Personally, it’s my religion, and i don’t use that term without knowing how powerful the word is. Only my kids, wife and friends take priority.
    The idea of boycotting a game just isn’t in my psyche.
    Plus, there’s a lot of short memories on here.
    Plus, ManU,Arsenal,Liverpool… owners just in it for the money. It’s not as if MA is any different.

• MacToon

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Hey Thump. Will be great to catch up, hope the southern air aint messin’ with you 😉

• Thump

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM

@MacToon: Well my skin has turned from a healthy zombie-grey colour to a weird looking bronze. I think it might be a skin disease but the doctors keep telling me it’s something called a “tan”. Never heard of it myself but I think it might be contagious.

• Beattie25

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Ruddy

I have found in my time that a few Newcastle born fans hold it against you if you yourself are not from the area. They think we don’t understand or get it.

I’m not speaking about all, or even the vast majority, but certainly a lot think you have to be from the area to truly support the club.

I’ve talked about it before and said its sometimes almost xenophobic. I feel that I have to explain myself to them as to why I support the club and hope it is acceptable.

Most Geordies are accomodating and understand that being a 1 club city in the far north of England doesn’t and shouldn’t isolate the club, but some fans do use it as the lowest form of insult.

I bet if everyone posted on this blog where they were from people would be suprised at the diversity of the nufc fanbase.

It doesn’t matter if your black or white, male or female, British or Irish or even if you’re an Indian Magpie you should be allowed to voice an opinion and where possible be actively involved in helping the futur of the club. If people can’t move past the “you’re not local” then we haven’t got a chance as a club.

As I’ve said before a lot of fans are social supporters that go to games out of habit and ritual than out of a yearning to see the club they love play and beat the opposition.

Again this only applies to a small percentage, just a drop in the massive ocean of fans, but its still there.