The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Negotiating Big Deal For Cabaye With PSG

9:10 am, Wednesday, August 21st, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 40 Comments

The Daily Mail is reporting that wealthy French club PSG are negotiating with the Magpies on a deal that will match Newcastle valuation of Yohan Cabaye at round £20M, and that Arsenal will lose out on the player.

yohan cabaye black and shite halves

Yohan Cabaye – PSG likely to sign him

We don’t expect Cabaye to join Arsenal because the London club are unlikely to pay the huge transfer fee Newcastle would want if they sell their French International star, and in the second half of last seoasn Cabaye was not impressive for Newcastle when we were in difficulties in the Premier League,

But PSG manager Laurent Blanc has talked in lyrical terms about the player all summer, and Laurent thinks he’s a great player – and of course he is – so he’ll cost big money.

And consistent with recent reports over the last couple of days, Newcastle owner Mike Ashley and manager Alan Pardew are resigned to the fact they will they lose Cabaye in this transfer window, and we have to believe Yohan Cabaye has told them he wants to leave the club.

No word on what Joe Kinnear thinks, and of course Joe told us all in June that Cabaye would not be leaving Newcastle this summer.

There was a report last night that Newcastle officials were in France to negotiate the Cabaye deal, and it seems they are actually in Paris negotiating a deal with PSG for Cabaye, and of course PSG have lots of money to spend from their wealthy owners.

The figure of £20M has been banded around, but we hope Mike Ashley sticks it to PSG and demands at least £25M, and of course puts a sell-on clause in the deal in case Cabaye is sold for more money in the future.

If Yohan Cabaye is to leave Newcastle  then let him go to PSG, and we have to hope that Newcastle will get big money for him, and then bring in a replacement, otherwise we could be in trouble in the league this season.

What do you think?

Comments welcome, but please keep them civil.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target · Yohan Cabaye

40 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rake // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM

The dreamboat set sail!

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Sparky,
    Fair enough. I don’t particularly rate the top flight in France too highly other than 1 or 2 exceptions though.

At the minute, I don’t think we can really be looking down our nose at the clubs you mention either. If he did go to one of them and was successful, then he certainly wouldn’t be likely to come here during his career as he would be looking higher up than us. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

Personally, I would have preferred Redmond to both as he is less of a gamble financially, as well as being a bit younger with more progression to him.

• 3 SuperShearer // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

In other words…Arsenal’s insulting bid started a chain of events that will see Cabaye go to PSG for, hopefully, big money. Wenger loses out much the way we have with numerous targets. I salute clubs trying to get players for the right price but all too often bidding much lower than the selling club want is just a waste of time, unsettles the player and upsets the seller club.

• 4 Santon03 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

You guys who wants someone to buy this club can go approach Erick Thohir. He is indonesian businessman, he owns Philadelpia 76ers, DC United, and recently bought majority shares of Internazionale Milan.

• 5 Santon03 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I think this is his official twitter account : @erickthohir

• 6 newcastle29 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Pardew , JK, charney, and Carr were not in paris! They were in Nice airport comming back to newcastle! So a little off the mark there ED! When a club sells a player, dont the buying club come to the sellers?

• 7 Ben3arfa // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I’d much rather see Cabaye head to PSG than Arsenal.

Wenger does not deserve him

• 8 Ibizatoon // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Sparky…I thought you could take the heat? :) I think I remember and perhaps it’s best not to open that can of works today….

…What I will say is I think it will take a leap of faith from the buying club to pay what we would likely want for that player, given what he has actually done. That’s not me saying I don’t think he’s great, I do still think he can offer more than he does now, which is why I think we’ll struggle to offload him this summer.

On the protest issue, what I noticed was not simply a call for “Ashley out”, but an emphasis on “change in” which I think is smart.

I know there is a serious issue believing Ashley can or would change, however, it is always smart when trying to force someone in to something that you offer them an alternative option…you know, the easy way out.

I have said many times that in theory, I don’t actually object to the blue print of the plan we’ve been sold by Ashley etc and if there was a way to let them know that as fans enough really is enough, that we can co-exist as owner and fans of this club, but we need some more give and take. They have shown that they can do the job and keep fans happy, but they will need to once again up the ambition a bit and stop being so cavalier with the fan base.

Most will know my feelings and approach to Newcastle, at the bottom of it all, this club needs some pride back. The most logical way that is going to happen is via the fans as I don’t see a Shearer, Keegan or Sir Bobby waiting to stand up at the minute.

I am keen to see what ideas are put forward, I have no problem supporting change if there is a plan, but just anger motivated change for the sake of change I struggle with.

• 9 saxonfenken // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Good luck to him if he goes, great player but can be a bit temperamental when things go wrong.
    PSG is a good club for him.

• 10 Santon03 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Good words, smart man Ibiza.

changes with plan :)

• 11 cestriasteve // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM

If Pardew insists on playing 4-4-2 then the logical thing to do is invest in a winger and a centre forward. Leaving enough options that we have for central midfield .

• 12 Ibizatoon // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Santon…Not mine really mate, just observing others and focusing on what I thought was an interesting part.

On thread…What’s this? Did Arsenal bid for Cabaye then? ;)

Let’s start a poll, how many days will it take to complete the Cabaye transfer?

• 13 Greebol1892 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Really would be a shame to see him go because HE’S A CLASS PLAYER who had personal issues last season BUT played under a manager who IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH and can’t get the best of out him nor any other of the players.

The money will go straight into Ashley’s pocket because he wants to sell the club and make Kinnear force Pardew out, . Then JK becomes manager (I would prefer that!).

• 14 Santon03 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Ibiza

I don’t think Cabaye is going.

• 15 numba9 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Will we see the twenty mil spent on his replacement along with the money we bid for gomis should have about 35 mil to bring 3 players in at least so let’s see ……. Over to you southern Muppet show let’s see if you line ya pockets Some more

• 16 danuneek // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My feeling is, he’s no doubt a talented player but he clearly doesn’t want to play for us. The same could be said for last season as well and unfortunately this has affected his performance on the pitch. I can’t remember the last time he played well and although I wished he stayed, at least we’re getting a decent price. He didn’t look interested last season at all and not even making him captain made a difference. Do we have any players who actually want to play for the club? I can’t see Debuchy staying much longer, although his lack of pace is a major problem for this league. PSG can have both of them for £30m.

• 17 ToonAndy // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Right now we have one game changer on the pitch (BENNY) … Imagine having 4…

———————-KRUL———————

SANTON–COLLO–M’BIWA–DUMMET

————–SISSOKO/TIOTE—————–

–BENNY——GOURCUFF——THAUVIN

————–CISSE——-REMY—————-

Tbf mike Ashley should be bringing these players in without having to sell CABAYE … But that’s a stronger team than wev’ve had for a long time

• 18 Our Toon // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

A couple of people have hit the nail on the head and stated what I have been saying for some time now, “support the team not the regime” that statement is utter nonsense. By going to the matches and buying merchandise all fans are doing is condoning the behaviour of Ashley and Co, by going to games you are indirectly supporting the regime whether you like it or not. The body language of the players on Monday looked as if they’ve had enough of this regime/manager, do we really think they care if we have 52,000 supporting them? When the owner himself isn’t supporting them? Hence vote with your feet, I managed to support the team without spending a penny on Monday (first time in 15 years), I’m sure others can as well.

It’s a shame that we have to actively sell one of our purples to fund the transfer dealings of new arrivals, begs the question though…..where on earth is the money generated by the club including the TV deal? Wonga deal? Why sell before we can buy? Where is your match day/season ticket money going? WAKE UP PEOPLE!!

• 19 Santon03 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Only takes one game at city, then people start changing the formations and try to get rid players.
    Who wants to play for us?

• 20 steinhof // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Really can’t believe someone from another country is telling match going fans they they aren’t supporting the team because they go to games. I hope he’s trying to be ironic. No reason why people from different parts of the world can’t be supporters but they really should keep patronising criticisms of life-long match going supporters to themselves.

• 21 Ibizatoon // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Greeboll…I agree that he is a class player. Maybe not world class, but class all the same.

Last year I championed that it was best to keep our best players and not add to the squad, but right now, I feel it probably best to let one go for decent money as long as it goes some way to addressing the other areas of the squad. Big if, but only 11 days to see what happens…no cheating and checking the last page though!

Santon…Really? On what basis? The only way I can see this not happening is that a buying club wont pay what we value him at. With PSG involved, I don’t see that happening tbh.

• 22 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Even if we did sign a few players, the foundation of instruction, understanding and movement is far, far away.

It is the basis of what any team builds from, no matter which players you have.

It is like having a collapsed bridge where you are just adding new bricks/stones on.

Extra players being brought in is needed, but they too will be added to the clueless system which we already have, and will no doubt look worse than they actually are.

Our team, on the whole, is far better than teams in the bottom half of the table, yet we just managed to not be relegated.

Pardew has taken a well oiled and functional side and has ground them down along with our international additions, by instructing less than satisfactory methods of play and lowering expectations to help him last longer in a job where he should be nowhere near.

Worst time as a toon fan is now for me, amd there’s been some dross over the years

• 23 chuck // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Ed, listen to yourself, “we hope Ashley sticks it to PSG and demands At least £25m and add on clauses…..”
    Plus you made it obvious you don’t care much for Joe Kinnear.
    Is a blogmeister not supposed to be somewhat neutral and leave those kind of rants to those giving their opinions.

• 24 Greebol1892 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Probably the best post I’ve read on here:

stuart no9 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM

“fans who still go to games ‘home and away’ IMO dont have the right to moan when the team suffer ‘cronic ‘ defeats like they did on monday night.

That has not always been thre case. Ever since the early sisties when i first started going, weve gone through patches where we’d have a decent side – agreat side- a calamity of a side, no matter whar side turned out on a saturday i would be there with my mates watching from the leazes and later from the gallowgate.

I remember when , during a really bad spell , the attendence dropped to about 15’000 at best, team wernt great, no big names, bottom of league- everything about the club was at an all time low, but me and me mates would still turn up- get soaked in the gallowgate, whatch a sh/t team get hammered week in week out, why? because that was our saturday- thats what we done.

At the time , i could see the crowds getting less, i was aware the team were rubbish, mainly because our owners were greedy so and so’s who were creaming the club dry.with not 1 glimmer of hope of a win never mind success, that didnt matter to me, i would turn up week in week out like a stupid idiot pay my money on the door for 90 mins of torture.i enjoyed it at the time.

My dad , from where i caught the bug- thanks dad you bast..d, pulled me over after 1 disasterous showing and explained to me, why after all these years he stood in the same stands as me watching the likes of jackie milburn-the robledo bros. charle crow, all these lads who were greats at the time, why he stopped going , he explained how the fans were gettingrobbed of a decent side by greedy owners, he explained what was happening, he explained why thre big lads were big and we wernt.

I kept going to games , but started to realise this big change in team success i was hoping for wasnt going to happen, there would be no succes no cups no titles . why had all the fans stopped going- the reason was becaust they didnt want to line our greedy owners pockets for nothing in return, and that the ‘ nothing in return’ to me was the problem- i was being fleeced week in week out.

After 1 game i went home and started moaning to me dad how bad it was , he started laughing, which got my back up a bit coz weve just been stuffed 4- nowt at home
    ‘are you still going up there’ he said laughing- youll never learn son , youl never learn, i turned to my mum who was whistling while baking a cake and said ‘ will you tell him to stop laughing, seeing how upset i was , she went in the room and said to dad ‘ john stop winding him up’ dad came in and explained to me how and why newcastle would never have a good team as long as idiots like me turned up week in week out lining the directors pockets’ keep going if you want BUT dont come crying to me everytime they get beat ‘dont go’ he shouted trying to get it into my thick head that i was the reason why nothing was changing at the club.

Bearing in mind crowds were down to about 14000 i did stop going . it wasnt easy , i had this urge to jump on abus every saturday and head to town but i didnt , instead i would be glued to the radio listen to csores coming in. I realised i didnt have a right to moan after gamesas it was my fault for going in the first place and was not listening to advice from my dad before me.Hes 93 now still sits in front of telly with sky sports , watching newcastle with his shirt on.

Go to the games if you want , but dont moan , you havnt got the right to moan about something you have been warned about and know, as long as you attend the games you are lining the owners pockets. YOU are to blame.”

Spot-on.

• 25 G.unit // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Don’t understand how we have gone to Paris to hegotiate a deal. Surley they should come over here!!

• 26 aidytoon9 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Why do we not keep cabs and spend 20/ 30 million is the question we should be asking Ashley!
    It shows on this blog that people are happy with one of our best players leave as long as another couple of new players come in which still means that Ashley is spending nowt.

• 27 G.unit // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Howver, 20 million is a good price for someone who was average at best last season!!

• 28 Santon03 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Ibiza

I think this is similar case like Colocini.
    Cabaye asked Debuchy his close friend to join us and then he wants to go? and I read somewhere that Ashley favourite player is Cabaye, it will take more than 25mil imo.
    I suspect he has some disagreement with pardew is the reason why he didn’t start against city.

• 29 geordiesteve520 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I’d ask for Sakho and one of their youngsters perhaps Yaisen too, shy bairns get nowt.

• 30 geordiemark // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM

am I the only one who thinks cabaye is a disgrace to the club who has paid him to play football for me he can go to psg but wont get any good lucks from me thats for sure he has no loyalty towards the fans nothing so he deserves nothing bye bye cabaye and take ur full back mate with you in fact take all the french players with you they cant handle the premier league thats for sure maybe apart from ben arfa and mwaiga the rests a shambles

• 31 geordiemark // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

and arsenal I wouldnt sell him to them lot of unrespecting gits at any price that arsne wanker needs a kicked arse for how hes treat newcastle united

• 32 jimBOB // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM

getting a bit tired of all this BS nobody knows whats going on at the min, we can all speculate. I just think if he was to leave then good luck to him, if he has no intention of leaving then were hanging him before he has opened his mouth. god I hope he dosent read these blogs. they would have made my mind up for me.

• 33 Scottiedog // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Debuchy is shite and the only regret is that we sold Simpson!! It is ok having out and out attacking wingbacks but in the Premier League they have to Defend first. Cabaye is no doubt a great player and could be world class in a league that gives him more time on the ball but unfortunately the Premier League is not for him.
    We need Tom Ince, Scott Sinclair, Jermain Defoe, Micah Richards but most of all NO MORE FRENCH PLAYERS WHO ARE NOT UP TO SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 34 geordiesteve520 // Aug 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Mark I think you’re right but that seems to be the norm these days so much so that no one seems to bat an eye when this happens. Players know they hold the trump cards and after so many court cases in their favour, most notably Bosman and Webster, they know that they can force a move.

• 35 richyg01 // Aug 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM

If he is going to leave us, then I would prefer that he also left the EPL, so PSG is best for him and for us.

• 36 geordiemark // Aug 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM

geordiesteve520

aye true there, to many players paid to much and are very very over rated by a mile, go back to the 50s,60s70s now they were real players them days they went paid stupid wages there paid no days and really I cant see many players these days who could hold a candle up to most of the players of old

• 37 geordiemark // Aug 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM

id keep ben arfa and mbiwa and marv the rest of the french can go, we need english players

• 38 blew // Aug 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Scottiedog @32
    I agree with you on keeping away from French
    footballers, on the basis that France is ranked
    23rd in world football. Which speaks in volumes
    about their players, they are not that good.

• 39 Sav // Aug 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Why would PSG pay 20 million when their bidding rivals will only pay 10? Cab has shown he is willing to make an issue to get away. For a V.Capt. it is a disgrace. One can’t help concluding that Pardew’s loud and conspicuous ‘I HOPE WE CAN KEEP CABAYE’ pronouncements were aimed at flushing out all bidders, making his whinge at Wenger a bit disingenuous.
    Stuff ‘em all!

• 40 brklyngeordie // Aug 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM

want to touch on a topic that i feel is being overlooked in this transfer frenzy and that is how bad is Cisse’s hold up play and general awarness of game i really dont think the team will ever thrive with him as a lone striker he is not built for it. I know myself like many others have watched games and said to themselves what on earth is he doing?? really hope remy can help sort it out

previous post: Newcastle In For Top England U21 Winger