The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

French Reports That PSG Want Both Cabaye And Debuchy

2:09 pm, Thursday, August 22nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 62 Comments

French web-site le10sport is reporting that PSG is working on a double deal with Newcastle, to get both Mathieu Debuchy and Yohan Cabaye to the Paris based club, before the window closes in early September.

yohan cabaye and mathieu debuchy 99

Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchyy

The French web-site is reporting they have information that PSG want both Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy, and of course the two of them are very close friends, having played together for a number of years at Lille.

Cabaye left the then French Champions two years ago for around £4.3M, and Newcastle tried to get Debuchy last summer, but failed and finally bought him for around £6M in January.

The news on Yohan Cabaye is not new, and of course PSG manager Laurent Blanc has talked about the 27 year-old French International incessantly over the summer months, and Arsenal made a €12M bid last Sunday, and news this morning that PSG may have bid €15M for Cabaye.

There was a report last week on the same French web-site that mentioned PSG may also be interested in 28 year-old Mathieu Debuchy, but we didn’t take much notice of it at the time.

But with Newcastle being in talks with PSG earlier this week, maybe the two clubs are trying to work out a double deal so PSG can take the two Frenchmen – but it would cost the Paris club around £30M for the two French Internationals – that’s what we think Mike Ashley would ask for the two of them.

Whether he can get that money from PSG is another matter however.

As it happens Debuchy had a terrible game at Manchester City on Monday night, and may not be well equipped to handle the fast play in the Premier League.

Arsenal are still said to be interested in Yohan Cabaye, and we’re not sure whether there is any truth in the report, but if Newcastle can get big enough money, the Magpies may be willing to sell both players.

But the Tyneside club would need to bring in adequate replacements – and there’s only 11 days left in the transfer window.

Not sure how accurate this report is – but at least it’s interesting. 😀

What do you think?

Comments welcome – but please keep them civil.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at

Tags: Mathieu Debuchy · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

62 responses so far ↓

• 1 expatmag // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Yep, 30 million quid and they have a ceal

• 2 expatmag // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM

• 3 Hatem Ben Hutley // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I’m sensing a last day steal from us. Leaving us in the crap again. Remember the last minute rush to buy Nzogbia last year? Not good

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I definitely think Santon has progressed, as has Krul. Most players were dire last season but I thought Santon came on a bit to be honest.

And if we finish outside the top 10 (and I’m not really counting it if we’re 2 points from 6th or something similarly close), and Pardew stays then I will be seriously unhappy because that would be a 2nd failure in 2 seasons.

You’re not going to just get rid of Ashley just like that though. It’s a bit like not liking your neighbours and constantly whinging that they should sell up and leave despite them being in negative equity.

• 5 Spoof // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I think your being a bit harsh concerning Skrtel, he is the type of CB which we need, and with Toure and Agger he is not assured of his place, he may prefer to join a better club than us but there is no certainty that one would come in for him, the only way we will improve is if we sign better than what we have, so to call someone deluded because they mention a player who fits the bill is a bit rough.

I am not saying he is available as I don’t know if he is, but I would also suggest that he is the type we should be going for.

• 6 ToonDownSouth // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

It’s absolutely ridiculous that we haven’t gone for Sinclair, and it seems Ince isn’t in our thoughts either.

A combination of the fact that the club is too busy scraping around France for players with get out clauses, and the fact that Pardew rates Jonas so damn highly that he doesn’t think we need a left winger.

If Jonas needs to be in the team, then let it be at CM. He retains possession and plays the simple passes well. It’s a waste of a forward position with him on the left.

• 7 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I agree it will be difficult to get rid of Ashley, doesn’t mean I don’t want him gone. If someone said, would I rather get rid of Ashley or Pardew I would have to say Ashley, despite the fact that would be much easier to just sack Pardew.

I do not think Santon has progressed, but I’m not getting into that, and Krul is a world class goalkeeper whom I think is getting closer and closer to the exit as we trundle from disappointing window to disappointing window.

• 8 AmericanGeordie // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM

They can have them both for 25mil, as far as I’m concerned. Just get the deal done soon so we can reinvest ALL the money in THIS window.

Debuchy has been a disappointment so far. He clearly brings A LOT more attacking intent than Simpson could in his wildest dreams, but he’s been an enormous liability defensively since he’s arrived. We can hope he’ll settle in over time, but it might be best to just move on (especially if he’s so attached to Cabaye).

As far as settling in goes, you know Haidara is only 20, and he’s never looked so poor as Debuchy. We can move Santon over to the right, and buy or fill in with what we have (MYM, Dummet, Haidara, Raylor) on the left.

• 9 Vest // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Must be our lucky day today :)

• 10 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

agreed 100%

• 11 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Napoli are being linked because of Benitez and they have had a £10M big turned down apparently.

I’m not saying he wouldn’t be a good signing for us but here are a few reasons he won’t come:
    – he’ll cost more than £10M
    – he’s 28
    – he would demand very high wages
    – he’s currently 3rd choice for Liverpool

How often does a club outside of the top 6 sign a player from a top 6 club that is surplus to requirements and they turn out to be good enough to start for a top 8 club?

I can think of Smith, Obertan, Simpson, Campbell, Duff etc. who definitely weren’t…any successes?

• 12 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Before we criticise the club for not going in for Ince, Sinclair etc. I want to wait and see who we get in. I’d love to know why Sinclair isn’t coming if he’s available on loan but maybe we didn’t want to guarantee him the first team football he wants with a World Cup coming up?

For all the people who want to see action, why not get involved with the 15 person strong group that the club is putting together? I haven’t heard anything about that for a little while.

• 13 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Phil Neville is the only one that immediately springs to mind. Tim Howard as well.

• 14 G.unit // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM

If true, which I very much doubt it is, if they have been watching Debuchy in the last 8 months, it would make getting rid of Simpson even more ridiculous. Simpson, I thought was decent on his day and a very good back up. Perhaps he didn’t fancy sitting on the bench, which is what Debuchy will do if he ends up at PSG.

• 15 Spoof // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

you may well be right, and he may go to Napoli, but deluded was a bit strong, and for all we know he may prefer to stay in England, there’s only one way to find out, make an enquiry, in all honesty I think the suggestion is a good one.

• 16 ToonAndy // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I’d say 32 for them both (25 for CABAYE, 7 for DEBUCHY)

Bring in:
    Viktor Fischer – 8 mil
    Wijnaldum – 8 mil
    Alderweireld – 5 mil
    Tadic – 7-8 mil
    Graham car right back – 5-6 mil

• 17 ToonJovi // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

If we can get Sakho out of the deal, and put in convincing bids for Micah Richards, Tom Ince and James McCarthy then its a gd deal… Based in Debuchy and Cabayes most recent form in black and white and their constant injury troubles.

• 18 Wiz // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Toondarnsarf … Ashley is not in negative equity. He’s at least fifty million pounds in credit on player sales alone. None of that is showing on the pitch. The club is profitable. He could get fifty million quid more than he bought it for and would not have had to pay a penny off the loan account he keeps on saying is still outstanding. Where is the sixty million from Sky? If he doesn’t spend that, where has it gone? Unfortunately our owner is in position for the most dispiriting reason of all – to make money. But from all accounts he now thinks he can make more money by owning Rangers. is still running the story that he is going to sell our club and buy Rangers outright. Wouldn’t that be great?

• 19 AmericanGeordie // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM

@Toon DownSouth. Agreed on Jonas! I’ve been saying for a while that he is cover as a holding CM at this point in his career. He doesn’t have enough class in the attacking end, nor enough speed any longer on the wing.

HOWEVER, he is a tireless worker with a lion’s heart who is strong on the ball, brave in the tackle, great at wining free kicks and a capable and willing defender.

He is a holding mid in AP’s 4-2-3-1. Period. I’d keep him as cover for Tiote (def not in first XI), and use him and his fresh legs late in games to hold leads.

• 20 niafron // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Bonjour messieurs.

Well, got problem with this news. First, le 10 sport isn’t th emost reliable french site, second, PSG already have two good RB…

• 21 dantoon85 // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM

25 mil and Sakho for debs and cabs and you have a deal blanc!!!!!!!!

• 22 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Phil Neville is a good shout actually. That was quite an interesting move seeing as he could still have done a job for Utd. He’s definitely an old-school personality player though, I’d have loved him at our club, but I bet some fans would still have been up in arms if we’d have signed him!

Howard is a different case I think. It’s tough being a 2nd choice GK so there are quite often top class GKs playing for lesser clubs.

• 23 Spoof // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM

so based on your theory at 11, how can you then stand by your view at 6, in all honesty you have set yourself up to be shot at, so it may be best if we cut out the deluded or other offensive comments, would you not agree.

• 24 luke.r // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I would happily give them Sakho!

Stick santon on the right, see how he does there and put Dummet on and see what he can do.

If Newcastle have any brains (which we all know they don’t) they would try and get Sakho in the deal and then we’d take less money. That would be perfect!

• 25 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Ok, maybe not quite deluded…dreaming? I’d love it if we signed him but I just can’t see it happening. And I don’t even know if he is “available” but at £10M+ it’s definitely not happening…

• 26 jimBOB // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

if we get a 30 mil offer then I would think Ashley would deal, dissapointed at debuchey, just dosent seem to care, gives away silly fouls and he never seems aware of his surroundings.

don’t rate him attacking either, put Anita at RB, my team with current squad and without cabs and debuch.

anita mbiwa colo santon
    hba sissoko marv

remy cisse

• 27 Wiz // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

ToonAndy, I’ve added up your transfer values and you seem to have a touching faith that there is some kind of relationship between what we get in sales and what then becomes available for purchases.

• 28 Belfast-Toon // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I really like debs but its so apparent that he cannot handle the pace and power of the prem league… Lets hope this is done quickly so we can bring some young quality players that wna work and play for us!

• 29 nufc_eire // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

We prob rate the two lads at 30m, (Debuchy 10m, Cabaye 20m). We get them to give us Menez & Van der Wiel + 15m (they are looking to get rid of both lads). Gourcuff for 10m, Alderweireld for 8m. That leaves us needing a ST and replacement RB + winger which we should be able to get from the ~20m extra tv money this year

GK: Krul / Elliot
    RB: Van der Wiel / Backup RB
    LB: Santon / Haidara
    CB: Alderweireld / Coloccini
    CB: MYM / Saylor
    CDM: Tiote / Bigirimana
    CM: Sissoko / Anita
    CAM: Gourcuff / Marveaux
    LW: Ben Arfa / Gouffran
    RW: Menez / Winger
    CF: Cisse / Remy / Tall ST

We do need a couple of english players to meet the quotas though

• 30 luke.r // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

would happily give them debuchy not sakho haha *

• 31 Spoof // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

don’t stop dreaming m8, it’s we have to keep our sanity lol

• 32 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

There are just too many holes in your arguments there for me to respond to all of them…

The club was bought for around £137M and I believe the debt will still be around £100M at the moment. So someone would need to pay at least £240M to buy the club from Ashley. That’s the only thing that matters.

• 33 Toon1978 // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Bloody hell. PSG may want to come back for the carcass when they have finished taking the meat ffs. Clubs like PSG really pee me off. We do not have time for players going out, we need players in NOW. I have my suspicions that Ashley might be selling the club with the total lack of any ambition in this window. No owner would receive 60 million and put nothing back into the club, something doesn’t sit right. I am not an Ashley fan as you all know and i know he is tight but he ain’t that tight as to risk the club sinking into the CC again. I think he may be on his way out. I would quite happily see him sell up and see no one else come in this summer.

• 34 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM

To be fair though, Neville only showed himself capable of being a top 6 player when he played week in week out for Everton, I never thought he was a decent player until he left Man U.

GK or not, your question was about players surplus to requirements playing at top 6 clubs 😉

• 35 Sazzer // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I think they want to get rid of Van Der Wiel.

• 36 niafron // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I also head we could be after Gourcuff.

Would be a major risk for me… DOn’t say a mistake, in football, you never know, but would definitively not do that.

• 37 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Because I didn’t write the post @6 :-)

• 38 ToonDownSouth // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Jonas currently has a guaranteed starting spot, so I’m pretty damn sure we could guarantee Sinclair one!

• 39 JackButler // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

On performances alone they can have Debucky for free

• 40 Ibizatoon // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Afternoon all, how are we doing?

• 41 jimBOB // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

whats Stefan Geivach up to these days??

• 42 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Not much lad, I’m keeping myself to myself, not ruffling any feathers and being nice to everyone….what?….I’m telling the truth….OK maybe not….OK I’m lying haha

• 43 ToonDarnSarf // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Fair point. So I’ll revise it to outfield players! Only Neville?

Failures from Smith, Obertan, Simpson, Campbell, Duff and loads of others at other clubs. Sinclair and Bentley threatened that success but have failed at the top clubs when they found their way back to them.

• 44 Rooster // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Debuchy is finding it very hard in the premiership isn’t he, im surprised, he is really poor, if Cabaye does not go and he was left out of that City game for the reason of a bid coming in for him it is a disgusting thing that he did not play, I still don’t know why as the bid was on Friday, it stunk the place out for me, and IF Cabaye said he did not want to play then I don’t care if he does not ever pull on the famous black and white stripes again, and good riddance, TERRIBLE DECISION EITHER WAY. get the deal done with Arsenal or Psg or Monaco get CERTAINLY CABS shipped out asap. BUT FOR GOD SAKE START BUYING, ITS FRIGAN INSANE THIS AT THE MOMENT.

• 45 Toonfan8 // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

we should be definitely in for him or Sakho, they are unhappy to sit on bench..they are 10+ players, but we need that type of player in CB..I would get Skrtel rather than Sakho, because he proved himself in EPL, two years ago player of the year for Liverpool fans…and when Ashley could pay Xisco 50K/week he definitely can afford Skrtel

• 46 Greebol1892 // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

All this talk of new signings is doing me heed in.

Why would Ashley fork out for a manager he doesn’t want?? The best we can hope for is loan deals.

Kinnear will sign a couple of players in January, by which time he will be manager.

Ashley has realised AP is not good enough and is trying to force him out (by bringing JOE KINNEAR in to undermine him).
    Expect more emotions from AP in the coming weeks like he was pre-match Monday night.

• 47 Wiz // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Toondarnsarf, I believe the debt is around half what it was, and you believe the opposite, which doesn’t make my argument hole-ridden. But let’s say you’re right. The player sales money is not going on replacements, is it? And if it is paying wages and training ground heating systems then that raises the question where the profits are going. MASH Holdings is a private company owning most of a public one, which makes scrutiny difficult. The more I think about it, and I probably think about it far too much, the more obvious it is that he is scrabbling for the cash to buy Rangers. That rings true now, and now more than ever.

• 48 niafron // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Still, they got Jalet, and i didn’t heard anything about that.

Le 10 sport is known to generally make some stroy telling with elements who look logical, but without any hard materials.

So this is something like: “Ok, PSG want Cabaye… Cabaye and Debuchy are friends, and Debuchy got trouble to settle in England… Moreover, he certainly came to Newcastle cause of Cabaye… So if Cabaye leave… Well, wait a minute, Debuchy could leave with him! Fascinating isn’t it?!”

THis is the way they work, so i would be very carefull with thi news as long there’s nothing from another source…

• 49 Ibizatoon // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Ruddy…Yeah, I even noticed poor old Santon getting questioned about his memory on Twitter… :)

• 50 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Well Berbatov moved from Man U to Fulham but I think he’s demonstrated he could do a job for any club in the PL. Scott Parker left Chelsea and has been a top player for Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs. The jury is still out on the likes of Adam Johnson, and Scott Sinclair has the capability of proving he can be a top player, but I agree, the big clubs rarely let excellent players leave.

• 51 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I read that, poor Santon, I mean it’s not his fault that the dementia has set in and he no longer remembers that his job is to defend… 😉

• 52 Country Ken // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

As with many people who have commented on this article I agree Debuchy does not seem to have what it takes to play in English football. Seeing him play for France, he excels, but back at Newcastle there appears a quite obvious gulf in class. I admit he is better than Danny Simpson but not by much. Simpson was definately more consistently mediocre where Debuchy doesn’t seem to know how to play half the time.
    As for Cabaye, he has only had one good season. Two years ago when we qualified for the Europa League. Granted injuries took thier toll last season but it is important to remember as with Tiote I beleive both have been found out. I would give Debuchy a chance, 6 months in the premier league is not long enough to fully integrate to the way the league plays. However where Cabaye is concerned I would take the best price offered and ship him out. Only problem there is the lack of transfer activity does not fill me with confidence that we could find a replacement. Watch this space and cross everything you can

• 53 Spoof // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:43 PM

thats right you didn’t my mistake, but you did right more or less the same at 12 though.

• 54 Wiz // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Greebol, he listens to Kinnear about players, but if he wanted Kinnear as manager he would just sack Pardew. It wouldn’t cost eight years’ wages – probably just one. So I think he is giving Pardew a chance, and I think Pardew deserves a chance. But meanwhile Kinnear thinks he will be the next manager, and is not getting on with signing players that would make Pardew look good. It is a mess of Ashley’s devising, and is quite unique.

• 55 Rotonda heights // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Players must get reports saying what Pardew’s tactics are like from other players so it must be a very hard sell now if they have any ambitions.

• 56 Rooster // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Thing is if santon is fit he will play left back and Paul Dummet will get left out Again, he`s a better defender than Santon and debuchy and taylor, quick as you like and hard as Nails, anyone seen the lad put a foot wrong yet, literally stopped Navas getting any service at all in that second hal, deserves a start from the beginning, its a big boast but the lad is the best all round defender at NUFC.

• 57 Rooster // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Colo is a good kid but zero pace and teams are playing him for that, hes getting caught out far to often.

• 58 bobby mango // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I predict we’ll get 18m for Cabaye.
    About 5m for Deb.
    As a pair reckon Ashley will deal anywhere over 20m.

Would like to think we’d get more but I honestly don’t think Cabaye is worth 20m. The opening bids from Ars and PSG indicate the same.

• 59 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM

It would take at least £25M in my book to part with Yohan and I definitely rate Dubuchy higher than £5M!

…the fact is we don’t have to sell so it’s sellers marked :-)

£35M and we can start talking!

• 60 Country Ken // Aug 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

“Bobby Mango”,

I agree, I dont think Cabaye is worth what he may have been previously. Simply due to inconsistencies.

Should we get 20m for both I beleive there are suitable replacements available. Just hope Ashley losens his grip on the purse strings

• 61 Ibizatoon // Aug 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Jey Hesper….(thought I’d mix things up a bit, why not?)…We have a new thread. Before you join us, can you think about what you say first.

We don’t have to sell? Mike wouldn’t be impressed with that sort of thinking.

• 62 shamsoftabriz // Aug 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM

With this news, does anyone wonder whether Debuchy might have tanked it at Man City in an attempt to underplay his value to Newcastle and thus “encourage” them to ship him out? His “best friend” on the team was out with “emotional issues” after all….

previous post: Newcastle Offered Swiss International Winger