My Message To Newcastle Fans – Continue To Back Us

Paul Dummett was born in Newcastle and joined his home town club four years ago , and Paul has come through the ranks at Newcastle, and he made his Premier League debut on Monday night when he came on just before half time, and put in a solid shift in the second half, as Newcastle tried to hold Manchester City after going behind 2-0 and having Steven Taylor sent off – just to make things a little worse.

paul Dummett manchester city

Paul Dummett – in action at the Etihad

The defender turns 22 next month, but on his form in pre-season and on Monday night, he has areal chance of making it at Newcastle, and he played so well in the second half against Manchester City, who had world-class players in their side, that he was second in our poll on Newcastle’s best player with 16% of the vote, behind only goalkeeper Tim Krul, who was easily ours best player with 58% of the vote.

The two full backs has been one of the weaknesses in the first half, as City attacked at will down either flank, but in the second half Paul more than held his own at left-back.

And after the match Lee Ryder of the Chronicle was able to interview the youngster before he got on the team bus:

“We got beat. That’s the most important thing. Monday wasn’t about me, it was about the team.” “But it was my debut and I’m proud of that.” “I don’t think I did too much wrong, but it’s a team game and to lose 4-0 was difficult”

“So we need to look forward to West Ham. That’s the most important thing now.” “We need to bounce back and get three points on the board. That’s going to be the main thing.”

“When I knew it was me the manager was putting on, my heart was pumping, I felt nerves and excitement at the same time.” “To lose 4-0 meant it wasn’t the best night for the club, but it’s a night I’ll never forget.”

“For me personally, it was a dream. I got the chance to make my debut for Newcastle United, the club I love.” “I didn’t take any of it in. It went like that (clicks fingers). I had 45 minutes and it felt as if it went almost immediately.”

“When I went out for the second-half, it felt then like there was a long time to go. It was over before I knew it.” “I don’t know if I will play against West Ham. Let’s see what happens and what the manager chooses to do.”

“I don’t know what he is thinking.” “I would love to be in the squad, never mind the team.” “City are a massive club that has spent a huge amount of money. To be honest, it was a privilege to be on the same pitch as them.”

“Every time I looked up, there was a world-class player coming at us. They could play for any team in the world. So it was a great test.” “I must say that our fans were brilliant. They sang their hearts out even when the game was gone from us.”

“My message to them is to keep coming, as they always do, continue to back us and hopefully we can do something for them.” “I had a lot of friends at the game, but unfortunately my family are on holiday, so they missed it.”

Alan Pardew praised Paul after the game and indicated he may play on Saturday when Newcastle entertain West Ham United, and based on that performance he should keep his place with Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa probably moving to center-half in place of the suspended Steven Taylor.

Not sure what the status of Davide Santon is, but Paul deserves to start the game on Saturday, and with a bigger squad this season and fewer games, Alan Pardew needs to start his best team – based only on the performance of the players, and not on how much they cost.

Paul Dummett deserves his chance, and based on that one game Paul certainly looked a lot better than Mathieu Debuchy who had a terrible game, and we hope the Frenchman will do a lot better on Saturday.

And finally, even though things are not looking good at the moment, let’s keep supporting the lads, because that’s what Newcastle fans do best, and to talk about demonstrations and the like is hardly the right approach, given where things stand at the moment.

Things are certainly not good, but remember, two successive home wins, and we’ll be flying.

What do you think?

Comments welcome, but please keep them civil.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• mattyNUFC

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM

a new manager and no incoming players this window,

or a few new faces with AP remaining at the helm?

I’d go for the former, personally

• Santon03

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM

geordiemark

the question is, what will we do if rangers played much better football than us?

• QUIRKESTER

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM

How long will Pardew be given before he is sacked?

• Santon03

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I think Ashley buing rangers because it is easier to get into CL and cheaper to invest than EPL team.

• Santon03

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM

buying*

• banjax

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Dummett played very well and shows he deserves his place in the 1st. Team. But there is no getting around the need for more proven quality in the team – and fast. Time to splash the cash Ash !

• Santon03

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Dummet will be better than Saylor as long as he gets the support and not being pressured on his mistakes by fans. He will make mistakes like any human.

• Wayayman

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I hope we’re not building this lad up for a fall. Remember the last young prospect who came through the ranks, played at LB too, scored against Man U (I think) on his debut? Exactly.
    One thing strikes me here though, we’ve got a lot of kids from the Academy being touted as special. Cambell, Vuckic, Dummett, Newton, Richardson, Abeid, Tavenier, Sammy Ameobi, Inman, Mbabu etc

The one’s I’ve seen play on loan seemed to look like players are the ones that can’t get near our first team for love nor money, yet the ones who haven’t really impressed have been given a chance for us! I’m thinking Ameobi and Tavernier for starters.

Now Dummett gets a shout due to circumstances beyond pardew’s control -Santon being injured, Hiadara too, then Saylor getting sent off and Pardew’s other favourite left back, Guti, gets injured. Against all odds, Dummett came on against a world class speed freak like Navas and matched him.

If I wasn’t so thick I might be starting to think that Pardew and the other coaches can’t spot a good player from a bad one… That would explain a lot, wouldn’t it?

• dubzy

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

@ QUIRKESTER

the next 2 home games, if we dont win both SACK HIM coz we should be beating these teams. Simple as that

• bzak12

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I think we’ll buy no one before the Fulham game as 2 defeats against WHU and Morecame and Pardew will be gone, then JFK will be put in as a caretaker and bring in a couple of new faces.

• dan5679

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM

im hearing we should hear something tomorrow about a bid

• Ben3arfa

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Pardew can go to hell

• Toon1978

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Summery was top class on Monday and he should start. As for incomings, Thauvin wants Marseille which is a bummer. He could really do a job here. Also, I can’t understand why Ashly needs persuaded to bring players in. That is quite worrying.

• RonVanDam

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I just watched the city game. Was tough sitting through the whole match. City made us look like a bunch of amateurs. We looked disorientated and lost. Even our ball control was piss poor, passing horrible, players looked slow and confused.
    Star players: Krul and Ben Arfa
    Worst players to play 90mins was Cisse (Guof shouldn’t have been subbed off) closely followed by Debuecy (this guy is is worse than tioti) I can see giving away atleast 3 penalties this season
    Mbiwa – As I defender needs to talk more and not stand still while the game is going on. Too casual at times. Still a good defender
    Our positional play is excruciating. Pardew needs to go. His tactics are exhausting to watch, playing style – too predictable. I don’t think Pardew can take this team any further.
    Pardew is a player pleaser and not a tough no nonsense coach and his coaching technique is plain lazy.
    If he is a defensive coach then he needs to go back to the drawing board because his game plan absolutely sucks. Anyone who still has access to the City game needs to go back and watch the match again. Notice how deep we were sitting? City players were strolling with the ball half way up the field
    We need a coach who can get the team playing to its true potential and get the players playing to their full ability. I don’t think Tioti is a crap player, pardew makes him that way. I bet if Jose coached our current squad, the team would be one of the best. Its no wonder players like cabaye want to leave the club and work under a better manager before their best days are behind them
    We need a coach who can get the team playing smarter not running around aimlessly like a dog running after a car and doesn’t know what to do when it catches up to it.

• martoon

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM

If Santon is fit I think I’d be tempted to keep Dummett at LB. I can actually see what Pardew means about Tiote – he did actually win the ball a few times and get some passes in although there were a couple of times when he reverted to type and lost the ball in key areas. Amazingly he avoided a yellow card 😉

• martoon

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

* and play Santon at RB

• dan5679

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM

i believe we are getting a new player in before the weekend ..i have been told a player will be coming in friday night for a medical …. have not been given any names (will try to find out more )

• JackButler

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Dummett did very well when he came on and should be proud of himself, he showed real composure and read the game well plus when you take into account he was up against someone with real pace the lad showed real promise.

• Wayayman

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM

We have to bear in mind that Ashley’s a busy man. Sorry, did I write ‘busy’? I meant fat. Oh, and I wrote ‘man’ when what i actually meant to put was cnut.

Anyway, even though I know we’ll leave it till the last minute and panic buy Billy Whitehurst and Stephane Guivarch, I’m still checking this place, and .com & twitter every two minutes in the vain hope I’m wrong. Just like January…

• Santon03

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Toon1978

I know you won’t like me saying this.
    I think I can understand MA if I was in his position.
    I just bought you 5 new players, get rid of players that you don’t want, and still you have done nothing that resemble improvement, and I still give you opporturnities to prove yourself, how much more you want me to spend to get things right?

• geordiemark

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Santon03

rangers did when we played them in a friendly hahaha

• mattyNUFC

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM

wayay

nice observation

so true though. we’d all been convinced Tavs was the answer to simmo. wrong.

ameobi was going to fulfill his brother’s lost promise. wrong

AP going on about Campbell’s promise. time will tell, but I find it hard to believe he’ll be the PL standard necessary.

then you’ve got dummet, who nearly slipped through the cracks, and Inman, who’s went off to league one and was, by all accounts, their player of the second half of the season.

add to that the bewildering team selections week after week and i’d say youre about spot on there

• JackButler

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Toon1978

What Ashley is still unable to grasp is that if he employed a better manager he would not have to spend to get us out of trouble like he had to in January as Pardew will again cost us points through his lack of ability

• Wayayman

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

RVD@14- I don’t think Cisse was that bad actually. For the 1st 20 minutes any ball into him was hopeful or blasted at him. He managed a fair few brilliant first touches and tried to drop deeper with the ball to bring the midfield into play so he could play it and turn and run into space. Watching his movement in the fist period too, it was excellent. Not once did any of our players spot his runs though. Sadly, that’s where Cabs plays for us and we missed him badly-just like we missed him last season when he was injured or depressed.

Can’t believe Marveaux didn’t get a game, he’s our most ‘Cabaye’ like player at least creatively. He spots movement and can play a killer pass.

• geordiemark

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM

pardew should have been sacked end of last season never mind give us until after the west ham game and fulham is he having a laugh or what, I get the feeling things are getting very very hot for pardew,kinnear and ashley and there sencing theres trouble brewing ….. yous dont say 🙂

• Indian Magpie

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Why is Ashley Holidaying this time of the Year?

• geordiemark

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM

dan5679

just the 1 we need at least 6

• Santon03

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

geordiemark

It’s very hard to judge from friendly or pre-season matches. Teams tends to make 8 to 10 subtitutions.

• JackButler

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Indian

He has to spend our money somewhere so why not spend it on getting himself a tan

• SeanNufc87

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM

geordiemark

6!? your having a laugh arent you? lets focus on one for now eh? lol

• geordiemark

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Santon03

yes I know but we have played crap for way over a year now, ive never seen tactics that are used by pardew its like lets build a trench and stay there hes useless to say the least

• Santon03

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Indian

because it’s cheaper? 🙂

• Toon1978

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Santon03

Yes I see your point. A very good one indeed. We do lack width though. City tore us apart down the flanks’ we did not have one decent cross for Cisse to do anything with. Which brings me onto……..JackButler, yes we have no width, no movement and,no service to the striker,we have nothing at all. Whether that is down to Pardew or the players lack of interest is open to debate. I think it could be a combination of both.

• geordiemark

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM

SeanNufc87

its either 6 new players or its doom for us sean thats the way I see it for not buying players when they should have we are now paying for it

• Indian Magpie

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

• Santon03

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

geordiemark

I can’t argue with that hehehe. Even if we have Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo we still sux.

• Indian Magpie

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If Ashley does not Spend any more thenit will be a indfall of about 60-90 million for him this year, i.e. from sales, TV money, Merchandise and Sponsorship.

And this could well be YOY

Why would he sell at a relative cheap price of 300-350 million.

• geordiemark

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Santon03

aye pardew would have them playing shit within minutes hahaha

• geordiemark

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Indian Magpie

300-350m for the toon is just crazy money were not worth anywhere near that amount of money if ashley wants that hes more crazier then I thought

• Santon03

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Toon1978

I think we will see 1 or 2 players coming in.
    If they managed to persuade Ashley, it won’t be for nothing. I think Ashley will want pardew resignation if things didn’t improve. I think this is the last straw for pardew.