It wasn’t a good performance by Newcastle yesterday, and we could easily have lost our second game in a row this season, but there are obviously some problems in the squad with Yohan Cabaye’s current refusal to play, and that will hardly have helped the situation.
Vurnon Anita – Newcastle’s best player yesterday
So rather than go on too much about the negatives yesterday, there were a number of positives that came out of the game:
- Vurnon Anita stepped in again for the missing Yohan Cabaye and is easily leading the poll for Newcastle’s best player with 42 % of the vote
- Anita and Moussa Sissoko combined well in central midfield, and while Moussa is still a player who has things to learn, he will improve and made some good surging runs to give Newcastle some energy in the engine room yesterday
- Davide Santon had a good solid game in his first game of the season, and looked a good player and gave his all for the club – and he had to with local lad Paul Dummett challenging strongly
- The defense was reasonably sound, and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa has a great chance to solidify his position as Newcastle’s first choice alongside captain Fab Coloccini in central defense, with Steve Taylor missing three games after his red card at the Etihad
- Coloccini himself played solidly in defense, and kept the back line together for our first clean sheet of the season and Tim Krul was good as usual
- Ben Arfa made some good runs, but had nothing to show for them at the end of the game – but he was willing and able to run at the West Ham defense, and that’s how this lad creates chances for the team
These are difficult times for Newcastle, and it’s always good to see players like Anita, Sissoko, Santon, Ben Arfa, Colo and Mapou (and others) play their hearts out for the club, and that’s exactly what we need from our players right now.
Anita is a very good technical player, who obviously found things difficult in his first season in England last term, but it was a promising performance from the 24 year-old yesterday.
And it was his 37th appearance for the club, and his performance augers well for the future, if the Dutch International can keep turning in performances like this one for Newcastle.
Here’s the poll and there’s still time to vote if you haven’t already done so.
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:
You can also reach Ed at email@example.com