The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Arsenal Could Give Up On Cabaye After Second Bid

8:32 am, Tuesday, August 27th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 40 Comments

The Times are reporting today that Arsenal are putting together a second bid for Yohan Cabaye, but if £20M is really the fee that owner Mike Ashley is asking for the 27 year-old Frenchman, it will fall short of that figure.

yohan cabaye braga

Yohan Cabaye – Arsenal may give up after second bid

The Times is reporting that an improved bid of £13.5M will be lodged within 24 hours, which is an improvement over the £11M they say Arsenal bid in their first attempt over a week ago.

But Cabaye is worth a lot more than that, and £13.5M is not the blockbuster bid that Alan Pardew and others have talked about.

Interestingly,  the Times is reporting that if that offer is turned down, then Arsenal will move on to some other targets they have lined up.

And if the news was accurate yesterday that Joe Kinnear has told Arsenal the fee Newcastle want for Cabaye,  you would expect Arsenal to meet that bid – but maybe not.

But Newcastle usually mean what they say in the transfer market, and if Cabaye is only going to be sold for an Andy Carroll like fee – in other words a stupidly high one – then £13.5M is nowhere near that figure.

Alan Pardew has been trying to keep the lid on things with Cabaye – and for good reason –  in case Yohan is still a Newcastle player at the end of this transfer window, and then he would have to come back into the team and play for us.

We want Cabaye to stay – even though he’s acted like an idiot – well let’s say unprofessional – in refusing to play for us.

And we hope Newcastle can bring that new striker in this week, with the news yesterday that we had bid £7M for Marseilles striker/winger Andre Ayeu, who is a very good player.

But why are we not going back in for Bafe Gomis of Lyon?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target · Yohan Cabaye

40 responses so far ↓

• 1 Schwefelberg // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM

The club has gone medieval under Ashley.

The well has been poisoned and the villagers are fleeing!!!!

• 2 Pokat // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM

He will go, I think PSG are waiting to see how Arsenal end up before swooping.

Don’t expect much but squad-swelling bargains to arrive. Pardew got his shopping list last time, now Mike wants him to get on with it, hence the ‘we all sat down and agreed the squad was big enough’ comment.

• 3 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM

We have named our price, Arsenal know the score.

Im guessing that price is 20 million cool hard cash going from the way Ashley operates and has did in the past.

If Arsenal come in with 13.5 after being told this it’s none other than a p1ss take and an attemt to unsettle the lad even further.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

PSG have bid 35million for Barca’s Pedro according to Spanish and French reports…

Ed,
    Has Cabaye come out and said he won’t play? Have the club stated as a fact Cabaye has refused to play? No to both, so why keep painting him as the villain when that might not be the case?

• 5 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Pokat,

That staement by Kinnear totally goes against Kinnears first interviews. He was well documented in saying we need a striker early on and Pardew has been waiting ever since.

Remy in, but god forbid this isn’t the last of our dealings.

If it is, I hope Pardew walks as it is a complete joke.

• 6 Sydney Toon // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM

JFA
    small world then haha
    Lil
    Realistically there are actually a few candidates, but Thorsten Fink or Bruno Labbaddia would be my choices.

I’m not sure who else, but in reply, I see the bigger picture – if we get a new owner who is willing to spend more then great. I’m not supporting Ashley but his strategy would be better long term. A new owner might be better or god forbid much worse. I think making changes on the pitch will give us a better perspective and see where we really are as a team and squad.

• 7 JAMSHA // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM

jst sell him to psg for 10mil + sakho/ Ménez

• 8 nut meg // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM

repost

Lilo
    I seen your bit in the true faith.Another good piece but a tragic end,very sad.
    Your view on the next manager has been a big fear for me for quite a while now.I hope like hell we are both well wide of the mark!

• 9 Ibizatoon // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Morning all,

We shall see on Arsenal bidding. They’re another team that surrounds itself in mystery when bidding for player…do they actually want him or are they just going through the motions?

At least their fans get CL football.

Prodigy…It could also be that they sense an opportunity to get a better than normal deal, wouldn’t be the first time it’s happened and we’re certainly no stranger to such deals. Can’t see it just being Arsenal trying to unsettle our player, maybe as simple as trying to settle their own fans mind…

• 10 toon1707 // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Judging by our 2 games so far 1 shot on target and no goals if we don’t strengthen this week it might be to late by the time January comes we might already be to far adrift to save our premier league status it really is sad to see our club ran by these muppets unfortunately there is now just an acceptance that our owners ambitions for the club is to just remain in the premier league regardless of where we finish

• 11 Slank // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Jam @ 7

Sakho is on his way to Italy.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Sydney,
    I agree that changing the manager will help. But I also agree that Ashley has stifled the club this summer and last. Appointing Kinnear is at best ill thought through, at worst malicious. Just because Pardew is inept at his job, doesn’t mean we should absolve the people above (or below) him of any blame. Each is at fault. Unless Ashley actually decides to rectify the situation then he is just as, if not more, culpable then the rest.

Labaddia is interesting, altough I’d be interested to know more about why he left Stuggart – I’ve seen them twice this year and the team looks woeful. Is that his doing, or his replacements?

Fink is less likely as he is contracted elsewhere, so there is a buy out cost. He also has that racism issue from a few years ago. I’m not sure what happened with that in the end.

• 13 ArtyH // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Forget him he is gone! Wonder why we do not contact Chelsea and as for a loan of Demba Ba, as he is not going to get much pitch time this year.

• 14 Harrogate Geordie // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM

£13.5m is not enough but an unhappy Cabaye forced into staying would be a hugely negative influence with all his French pals. Many of them are partly at the club because he persuaded them.

Settle at £15m and buy McCarthy for £10m ish. I’d also bid for the little nutter from Wigan who snapped Haidara in half to give us some width and pace. Gomis is a must.

• 15 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Morning Ibiza,

Hope all is well on the white isle.

Personally, I don’t think it matters if he is unsettled or not. If they don’t pay what we value him at he will not be going anywhere. Those kind of tactics will not work with Mike Ashley, not for a second. He will keep him regardless.

I don’t like Mike Ashley, but his comeback to Arsenal’s first bid with “which part of him would you like for that?” I found humourous to say the least.

• 16 Schwefelberg // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Everything Ashley does shows he likes to bigfoot the club. He likes to slap people around like a character in vintage b/w mob movie.

Keegan, Shearer, why not move on to Beardsley?

• 17 cestriasteve // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Lil, I can’t see him leaving Barca, quality player and way way more attacking than Cabaye. I only saw the lowlights of Saturday due to work seems that Pardew has Anita as the anchor in midfield as you said, if only we had Siemens de Jong now!,,

• 18 JaxtheMag // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM

there is no way back for cabaye, he has to leave. we will get 1 mor signing. but the fans wont be happy. rightly so.

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Nut Meg,
    Cheers for that fella. Yes, tragic what happened to them.

I hope I’m well wide of the mark, but it fits together quite nicely, particularly in terms of expenditure….

• 20 JAMSHA // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Slank

dnt worry jfk has contacts…. sakho is his cousn…. he will tie him up for the newcastle move

• 21 Slank // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I suppose it’s now down to who blinks first Arsenal or Newcastle.

Arsenal don’t really need anymore midfield players. It’s the one area where they are very strong.

From past observation, Wenger appears the type of manager who wont be pushed around and will not be backed into a corner and will not react to what Arsenal fans say or do. I would imagine he is quite contemptuous of a ‘wee club’ like Newcastle trying to bounce him and Arsenal into a deal at a price that he disagrees with.

• 22 aidytoon9 // Aug 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM

People have been talking about this Wednesdays game as a chance to build confidence, omg who are we playing?
    it is clear that cabaye wants to leave so for me I would sell him as you don’t want a player who doesn’t want to be there.
    But don’t expect any money to be spent, I hope I am wrong but it looks like mike is showing no ambition on the pitch.
    Mike thinks the squad is big enough and strong enough? Possibly to just stay in this league but not to be in the top half.
    Until he sells the club or fans make a stand we will be just looking to survive in this league.

• 23 Sydney Toon // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Lil
    I agree that Ashley is an issue, one thing at a time I guess

Labbaddia has always been good and he plays a good brand. I was thinking outside the box on both he and Fink. Both are schooled well in current German football. They are not Klopp but with the right playing resources can be very good. Another is Magath or Girard. The Stuggart now is in a development phase, they don’t have spending power, so are rebuilding within. I have seen them play well under Labbaddia but I don’t know the reason of him leaving.

The obvious picks in the UK are Poyet and McClaren but will they command a brand of football?? That is the big question over both.

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Cestria,
    Nor can I to be honest, but if that is the type of player they are after, then surely Cabaye doesn’t fit the bill.

If Cabaye is to go to PSG, I’d like Rablot as part ex.

• 25 Ibizatoon // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Prodigy..The white isle is all good, thank you. Hope things are with you too, footballing issues aside.

I agree, I don’t see the tactic working with Ashley, it was more a case of pointing out that whilst a p*ss take, it’s nothing that we don’t do and I don’t believe it’s designed to unsettle the player on Arsenals part…I’m sure they have bigger fish to fry than Newcastle…there’s another depressing thought :)

People mentioning Ba coming back…Is there not the small issue that he wanted away? Do we think now he’s spent half a season playing second fiddle (or is it 3rd of 4th choice fiddle??) that he’ll want to be here? Not 100% on what went down, but seem to remember he wasn’t too happy towards the end. Yes we need a Ba, but do we need Ba right now? I thought at the time that he wasn’t doing the squad many favours as far as attitude went. I have a hard time believing the reason we changed from the 4-3-3 was Pardew being bored or completely stupid. He may well have stumbled in to the formation, but I honestly believe we changed from it to please Ba as we risked losing him due to the release clause and he bullied the club with it. That’s my opinion, not fact, but with that in mind, I don’t expect to see him turning up at SJP this season. Well, maybe once, it will be with Chelsea or another team though imo.

• 26 thai-mag // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM

ED Is it possible for when you have a poll for who is the Toons best player in a game? can you put a button in for”no body” it would make it lot easier to fill in

• 27 Toon Tang // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM

arsenal never really wanted him anyway, their people are doing exactly what our people do and are making it look like they are after players to please (bullshit) the fans.

Absolute shambles of a set up.

• 28 JaxtheMag // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM

we wont buy a new striker, we have cisse remy and the way Ashley thinks its cheaper just to keep shola. sad.

• 29 jayphoto // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM

With a world Cup at the end of the season I guarentee if he stays Cabaye will be playing like a man possessed if he stays! No chance he’ll strike or play half heartedly, hes got a bunch of young hopefuls snapping at his heels for his place in the French squad, Pogba, Grenier, guilavogou, Kondogbia, Capoue etc, needs a big season this year

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Sydney,
    I don’t want Poyet, McClaren is interesting, nut I think he has too much bad history in the UK for him to be successful. Everything he did would be under the microscope and he would be given no time to turn things around if he started badly.

No chance on Girard, he has only just taken over at Lille.

Still, I can’t see Ashley going down the route of a foreign coach, particularly if Kinnear is to be involved in the recruiting process….

• 31 geordiemark // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM

cabaye could be making things even worse because if he doesnt get any play time on the pitch dont expect the nut case dechamps to pick him for the french squad and that means no world cut for cabaye the longer this goes on, arsenal know the amount we want so its either pay it or look for someone else and then cabaye will really be in limbo, we all know PSG want him blanc has said it often enough so to them and arsenal pay up or shut up

• 32 lesh // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Toon-Prodigy….. The mischeavous side of me wishes the press’d start on assassinating Kinnear as a DoF.

There’s plenty for them to go on: his lies, delusions, command of the English language, poor memory, inability to negotiate deals, undermining Pardew. A veritable feast!

• 33 lochinvar // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Quote from Wenger on Sky Sports. But a guarded Wenger stonewalled at a press conference when asked to identify his (transfer) targets, instead launching an animated defence of the side which won 3-0 in Turkey last week and registered a first league win of the season at Fulham on Saturday.He said: “I will not give you any names because I think it would be unfair for the players and create some wrong hopes.
    You can see that many of the disputes you have all over the country are because managers speak about players. In our job it’s just – be discrete and try to make things happen, that’s what we try to do.” So the disruptive courting of Cabaye doesn’t come into it then ? Double standards from a desperate man messing with Cabaye’s mental state. Suggest MA continues to tell Arsenal to naff off and let Cabaye get back to the real France not the little France that is Highbury or whatever. Over to PSG to do the deal for £18-£20m then sorted for Cabaye, NUFC and France except Wenger – diddums.

• 34 geordiemark // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I still think arsenal have tapped up cabaye and the premire league should be looking into this

• 35 gaz 44 // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM

We should make a move for flamini, I’m sure he’s still a free, don’t think he can b that old, and a few year ago looked as though he could turn out one of worlds best..
    I’m unsure on McCarthy and buying more french

• 36 geordiemark // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM

lesh

and he is also costing the nhs a fortune for his mediation :)

• 37 geordiemark // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM

this is what is getting at me with all these french players at the club theres far to many of them signing players from france has to stop, we should be looking to the lower leagues looking for raw british players and producing out own players god theres enough talented players around the north east why arent they not picking them up

• 38 geordiemark // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM

wednesday night could end up like another hereford and we all know what happened then dont we am dreading wednesday

• 39 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Ibiza,

Good stuff. Im great thanks. Apart from all things NUFC 😉

I just can’t see any other reason for it, if we name are price, then they should either match it or make a near enough closer counter offer.

If this is true about a 13.5 mil counter offer it will only upset matters further i guess through my eyes. Mike Ashley may even pull the plug all together? Suppose we will have to wait and see what prevails this week.

On Ba, I wouldn’t have him. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth with the circus he brought with him and the turmoil each window.

Great player, good goal scorer, but no thanks to that merry go round again. And that’s even though we are cruing out for a striker at the moment.

I hold the same opinion Ibiza, he put his own personal selfish agenda before the good of the team and Pardew tried his upmost to accomodate him and keep him past January. Little did Pardew know once he had did well he was going to be on his travels anyway.

I hold the belief we were always a stepping stone club for him and he was always going to go if he did well. His tweets saying how all the stories were untrue on the run up to his departure didn’t flatter him either. Saying it was his agents causing problems etc and he was happy at NUFC. He knew exactly what he had instructed his agents to do, we seen it window after window, same old nonsence.

He got his move though and to a good club, fair play to him.

But.. I guess Lady Karma has caught upto him for his disloyalty. Well, that thought helps me sleep at night anyway 😉

Im going to have to get some sleep mate, it’s been a long night at work.

Catch you soon, and enjoy 😉

• 40 Do the shaka hislop // Aug 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM

@ harrogate
    that little nutter macmanaman has already recieved a red card 2 games into the championship season for another horror challenge… might take the emphasis off debuchy like.

As FOR KEBS theres a lot of speculation and roumor, but I think the overriding factor is he doesnt want to be here, and I do t blame the lad, but the way things are getting ugly is no good for club fan or kebs himself.

if he dont wanna be here, then move him on, 15mil would be over 3 times what we paid for him, one great season one terrible season, he plays anoyher poor season this year and were not getting 10mil for him, much less 15.

IMO that seems to be the best resolution, he isnt worth 20 based on last seasons performance. It really is that simple.

previous post: Newcastle In For McCarthy – But Face Competition From Everton