PSG Unlikely To Add Players – French International Stays At Lyon

Some news in the French media tonight that could impact Newcastle, and it seems that PSG are unlikely to add to their squad in the last few days of the summer transfer window, and if a central midfielder is to be brought into Newcastle in the next five days or so, it will not be Lyon star Yoann Gouffran.

Yoann Gourcuff

Yoann Gourcuff – not coming to Newcastle

Paris Saint-Germain manager Laurent Blanc has talked again to the French press, and said that new reinforcements would probably not be arriving at the Paris club this summer.

The Ligue 1 Champions have been linked with Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye all summer, but it could be that Yohan has lost a suitor.

This is what PSG manager Laurent Blanc said to the French press:.

“New reinforcements? I don’t know for sure, it’s unlikely”

In further comments by Blanc, he intimated that PSG would need to sell before they brought in any more players this summer – perhaps PSG officials have suddenly found out about the Financial Fair Play rules? 😀

And Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas of Lyon, who play their second leg playoff tie at Real Sociedad tomorrow night, after losing the first leg 2-0, has  said that potential Newcastle target Yoan Gourcuff was going nowhere:

“Yoann is a good boy, he is part of the group. This is one of the best parts of this season.” “He went through a difficult period, but I can assure you that from now on we will see what he can really do. And it will by Lyon.”

No word from the Lyon President on what the short-term future holds for a certain Bafetimbi Gomis, but as we’ve said before, we wouldn’t be surprised if Newcastle get this player to Tyneside before the window closes next Monday night.

And if the news today about Yohan Cabaye is accurate, then Arsenal should be lodging an improved bid for the Newcastle midfielder tomorrow.

We’ll see – tomorrow is another day.

If we can get Bafe Gomis in,  and keep Yohan Cabaye we’ll be happy enough.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Toon1978

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM

We already have Gouffran Ed lol.

• JAMSHA

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Innocent
    Emeghara to newcastle???? hope not we need exp strikers to save our ass from relegation

• Graeme

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Are we taling about Gouffran or not here? I thought we signed him in January 2013 and he is still playing for us?? Have I missed something???

• brian kilclines pony tail

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:48 PM

we need one thing, players who move after they pass the ball, its that easy!!!!!

• Graeme

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM

On DSTV, South African tv, we are watching the Manure / NUFC games under KK and Sir Bobby. Man, it brings tears to my eyes to see the skill, the commitment, the joy with which we played footy back in the late 90’s compared to the utter shite that is passed off as football by the team under FCB and his dynamic duo, JFK and Pardwho.

Back then, there was immense pride in supporting the TOOON, today, to be honest, I just no longer care. After 50 years a supporter, there is just no joy, no passion – I just cant be bothered with this lot. How sad.

• veto

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM

anyone remember what land the club had on its books when mike bought it , other than the training centre ?

• toon22

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I really have gotten sick of it all.
    I’ve started to not care anymore.
    Who cares who they are after or who might be sold.
    In the end it dont matter,we will play shite and struggle.

ill give it a few weeks but if it dont pick up ill stop visiting here watching matches generaly giving a f**k.

There is no hope for us non whatsoever.

• t00ntime

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Anyone know anything about Innocent?
    His stats look awful, he is 24 and hasnt played for a single club of note. 5goals in 28 in Ligue 1 is abysmal.

He seems to have pace but everywhere else I have looked (youtube, twitter etc) I cant find anyone saying something decent about him other than his pace. Even checked futhead (fifa) and even there nothing good about finishing/making runs/ tactical awareness. Anything :S

• kevymartins

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I’m sick off the Gomis nonsense. This would be our what 7th 8th time trying to sign him? if he doesn’t want to come fcuk him there is other options.

• kevymartins

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM

And Innocent another Obafemi? Fast but can’t finish that well, If so I’ll take him like.

• JAMSHA

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

jst edited wiki… + looks like we may get him as his club has said his movng to pl

• magillc

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM

They’re talking about Yoan Gourcuff Lyon Attacking Midfielder, not Yoan Gouffran Newcastle Striker

• OhSholaAmeobi

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Wissam Ben Yedder to sign from Toulouse. Heard it here first.

• jimmysmith

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM

How’s abouts Rosicky and Bendtner in exchange for wantaway Cabs. I recognize Bendtner is a little nuts and perhaps short on goals but certainly long on potential, while Rosicky just strikes me as plain excellent and more attacking in style then Cabaye. wouldn’t we then have a better look about us.

• Yohan Kebab

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:54 AM

if they want cabaye, ramsey plus 10m, then dont budge

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Not too confident about this week in regards to transfers.

It really has been abysmal, a torrid two months, hell for Toon fans.

I really think going off Joe’s last interview our business could well be done. He seems happy with Remy in and that is it.

I really do hope im wrong, but I think the plan all along was to get “one” striker through the door as cheap as possible.

The whole Kone bid, back and forth to Remy, Gomis and Bent was just to keep our options open to make sure we got “one” of them in.

I can’t believe at the start of this window I thought we would sign a top quality forward, somewhere in the range of 15-20 million to replace Ba. With the money available from the TV deal and so on.

What we deserve and what we get are obviously two completely different things. Well, at least we know that for sure now.

Like I say, I hope im wrong, there is nothing more that I want to see than this club do well.

If this forward dosn’t come in though it’s going to be a painful season.

• Sydney Toon

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Prodigy
    I hope you are wrong, I still hold out hope of at least 2 coming through, I don’t who they are really, in Carr I trust. I have my preference on Ayew and Gomis but both will be last minute deals, so we are in for a long week!
    Looking into it maybe in a conservative, apparently we don’t get the TV funds till the end of the season, along with prize money for where we finish, so perhaps MA has decided to see if we can retain this squad for another season, achieve top 10, with pards or not, and then reinvest next summer. Conservative and no where ambitious but perhaps that is his thinking, see what our profits will really be like and go from there. there are always great players available, maybe with the poor finish and only 7m in prize money, MA has decided to put the responsibility purely on Pards and see whether last season was all it was excused for, or he has got what he needed from Pards and wants to move forward with a better Manager. The more aggressive scenario is that Remy is the only one in, JFK and AP take the blame, MA takes the Money att he end of season, sells up and makes a profit out of it.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Sydney,

My thoughts are, we will only buy if it is to replace Cabaye now. With the Striker scenario it’s been an absolute farce of a window and incredibly embarrasing.

Maybe there will be 2 different positions bought with the Cabaye money. One can hope.

If Cabaye stays though, I think we are done. It’s obvious to me we do not want to spend this window, I’v sort of conceded that with two months passing.

Something tells me that Joe thinks Remy is enough and we don’t need anyone else. Especially with Shola staying on board at the minute. If we were letting him go im sure he would of been gone over this past 2 months.

As it stands.

Remy
    Cisse
    Gouffran
    Shola

Injuries to Cisse Or Remy will see us struggle. Gouffran and Shola will not hit ten goals between them this term.

I’d put good money on that.

• Sydney Toon

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Prodigy
    Im am close to conceding defeat on my optimism, I just think there is another twist and if Cabaye leaves then so be it. I think we will bring 2 players of quality to replace him, if he stays we will try to get one more and be done.

I think Shola and Yoan could hit 10 between them, 1 to Shola and 9 to Yoan :0)

I watched the replay’s of City and West Ham and we seem to be not playing a high line any more, but that has meant we are deeper in midfield. I watched West Ham defend and they had 10 players back almost immediately. The one you have to credit Big Sam for is that he organises his teams very well. Without the quality of Cabaye or an in form Hatem we couldn’t get through. I think Fulham are a lot more open and we might see a stronger attacking performance. I just think, let Anita and Sissokho be distributers and bring in more creativity out wide and in the final third with the Cabaye cash. Therefore Giving Remy and Cisse some quality ball. I do believe we will bring in 2 to replace Cabaye, Ayew and possibly a CAM or another RW and let Hatem play the 10 role.

• nut meg

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Gotta Laugh
    Innocent Emeghara (born 27 May 1989 in Lagos, Nigeria) is a Nigerian-born Swiss footballer who plays for French club Newcastle in Premier League. He was signed by joe kinnear who is one of the worlds famous football manager an has worked with players like messi,ronaldo,cafu,etc. [1]
    References

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Sydney,

I have my doubts on the RW replacement. More so LW we may bring in.

On the right we have Sammy Ameobi, Ben Arfa, Obertan.

All we have for cover on the Left is Marveux who isn’t a winger. He’s a no 10.

I hope if we do sell Cabaye, a left winger and a Striker is brought in.

That should see us finish mid-table. Not very ambitious, but it seems it’s all are owner wants.

Once Remy settles we will be OK. We are lacking quality upfront as Cisse is struggling on his own. He is still playing on his own even with Shola playing. They arn’t suited.

What we need is a consistent starting eleven who are used to each others game. We have so many new additions from January still adapting, youngsters, we are lacking a bit of experience of the Premier League now within our squad now with Cabaye out.

Only Colo, Ben Arfa, Jonas, Santon, Cisse have that experience at the moment. I render Shola useless really and Taylor is missing for three games. Anita is touch and go with his bit part play last season but looks OK.

We have to remember:

Debuchy
    Sissoko
    MBiwa
    Gouffran
    Haidara
    Dummet
    Sammy Ameobi

These are all still very inexperienced at this level in the Premier League. As the season goes on though they will all get better for it.

Consistency with this team will see us mid-table:

Krul
    Debuchy
    Colo
    Mbiwa
    Santon
    Ben Arfa
    Sissoko
    Marveux
    Tiote/Anita
    Remy
    Cisse

For me that’s are best/strongest eleven.

They need to stay pretty much injury free like the season we finished fifth. We can live in hope, but we all know what injuries are like at the Toon and are second eleven is a mile off are first. We have failed to build so far this window. Failed to upgrade and add strength and depth so far.

Just my two cents.

I laughed at the Shola/Gouffran comment 😉

• Sydney Toon

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Prodigy
    Well if we bring Ayew, which I think is more likely than Gomis at the moment, we have an international quality winger at LW.
    Add to the inexperienced list of Vuckic, Gosling and Bigi who will be used a lot more this season. There is always need to purchase quality, as a player leaves or form drops etc, but if we don’t start giving Vuckic & Bigi plenty of game time they will struggle. I think that is where our squad is at. I think we will only bring in one or two more, because we do have versatility in our squad.
    Dummett can play both LB/RB, same as Santon
    Mbiwa plays across all 4
    Colo can play DM
    Anita can play CM, DM, LB, RB
    Guti can play RW/LW/CM
    Remy can play LW/ST same as Gouffran
    Raylor when fit can play basically anywhere

So although we might have to play a few outside their preffered position, we have a versatile playing group.

But you are right, the failure to strengthen further last season was a disaster. We didn’t have any back up plans to Luuk De Jong and Douglas. We basically had to rebuild our shortlist till January then reinforcements were brought in. But we will really see the best of Mbiwa, Debuchy, Sossokho and Cisse this season, we just need to get some confidence flowing, which is very low at the moment.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Sydney,

This is the problem with the structure we have.

Always playing catch up, not taking are opportunities to build the depth and quality of the squad each window.

We are always running at a disadvantage. We are doing exactly the same as last summer, gambling through until January. So it seems (unless we sell).

The funds are guaranteed to do this and are gift wrapped from the Premier League along with ticket sales, merchandise and sponsors yet we gamble window after window and totally miss the boat.

We were lucky last season in the gamble of not replacing Ba upfront in January. These gambles stunt are growth, ambition, they affect every aspect of the club from the coaching staff, players and the fans. It sends morale to rock bottom before we even kick the season off. Not excited one bit for this season, 1st time I can remember.. in 34 years. Every player wants a squad that is building and showing ambition. We lack so much.

Im worried for tonight and I really shouldn’t be.

• gonufc (Release the Hatem Bomb)

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:57 AM

@toon-prodigy – It seems Ashley is simply not willing to spend the ‘R.R.P.’ and will only buy in the sales (last few days when people are desperate to sell).

That means we have a seriously small pool of potential players to choose from.

I wrote a comment yesterday about how poor our scouting network seems now- we only seem to bid for players from just a few French clubs which seems to me because the only actual scout we have/ use is Carr. He seems to spot a player well but he can only go to a limited amount of games!

It’s pathetic how little scope we seem to have now! It’s a group of about 5 French clubs, that seems to be all we have any knowledge of!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:57 AM

I read somewhere that Joke had said that Mike, Pardew and himself sad down after last season and concluded the squad was big and strong enough for a top half finish.

…so that was what they got from last seasons finish? Last season we bought 5 players in January, but because we didn’t replace Ba the season still ended in tears!

How come they think this season would be any different is beyond me, but I have come to terms with this is just going to be another dreadful season 🙁

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Go,

Aye, I agree.

What is worrying to me is that we are basically seeking players with loopholes, buy out clauses, unsettled players etc. Players that we do not need. Look at Anita last summer? Look at Sissoko in January? If one position we are ok on, it’s midfield! We signed him purely because of his contract, not because we needed him. They knew we could make a profit on him.

Otherwise we buy young players with potential. Or players who we think we can make a profit on.

We don’t sign experienced proven players now. We will not shell out on experienced Premier League players at all.

They offered 2 million for Bent? Now I know he is pants, but howay man haha. Ludicrous.

Change is needed and quick, you cannot run a Premier League football team in this way. We are finding out what happens if you do.

Sigh.

• cyprus

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Poster above: Ramsey plus ten million? By whom.
    Ramsey is a much better player mate.

• cyprus

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Poster above: we need a consistent starting 11.
    Sorry, disagree. If it were possible, fine, but:
    *players get injured, it’s part of the game.
    *players lose form.
    *certain players do well (or not) against certain teams. e.g. a player like Anita would get bullied by big teams, not Tiote
    *formation variations make it necessary to have more players ready and match fit.
    *players outside of the starting 11 will feel disenchanted and be unmotivated.

Conclusion: You need at least 18 players who feel (and are) they are part of the team.

• bills-son

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Toon-Prodigy,

You say we are OK on midfield numbers?

We might be in numbers but not in quality. We don’t have one creative midfield player – Cabaye included – who consistently produces a high level of performance and imposes themselves on a game. We are rudderless, leaderless and all too often powerless in the centre of midfield.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I can’t believe that people are still under the impression that there is a game plan and that we will invest to push higher when the TV money is in, it has been publicly stated time and time again that the top half of the table is our aim, Llambias, Pardew and noe Kinnery have all told us this, why are people still insisting it’s all part of a long term plan to aim for CL, I’m not even sure if we are interested in a cup anymore as that would bring the unwanted distraction of Fursday night games and Pardew for his so called love affair with the F.A cup has managed to loose three years on the trot to lower league opposition.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I think Ashleys plan of holding out for the big money will soon see him changing tact, if Cabaye stays I can hardly see him signing a new slightly improved contract meaning Mashley will have to sell him for what another team think’s he’s worth rather than our value as in what happened to Enrique, so when Cabaye does sell for 9M or whatever the next decent bid for a player with three years left will see Mashley take the bait.

• cyprus

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM

bills-son,
    spot on

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM

cyprus,
    In a decent set up, players outside of the starting eleven get their heads down and and try and force their way into the side, ie had Simpson been offered a decent contract to stay maybe he would have up the ante which in turn might have had an effect on Debuchy to raise his game, as it happens we now are still in the same position where if Debuchy has a stinker he will still be picked, unless your suggesting Pards might rip up his rule book and play Santon at RB or bring right sided midfielder RTaylor back six months early.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Even if we do sign a couple of players in the next five days I can hardly call this window a success, two valuable points have already been thrown away already due to our lack of goals and Fulham at home has seen us scoreless plenty of times over the years and without shots on target I can’t see that stat improving.

• cyprus

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Jail,
    In a round about way, we agree. As I wrote before, players lose form so you need a battle ready substitute to throw in.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Bills,

Marv and Benny have been here for donkeys now. They are the creative attacking centre midfielders you speak of.

Obertan is Poor, so Benny is put out on the right to cut in on his left foot. Marv has been used sparingly out on the left to no avail.

Unfortunetly, Pardew likes a defensive midfielder and a sitting playmaker in the middle of the park. Tiote/Anita, Cabaye which we see more than often.

We had Anita as back up for a centre mid, Marv or Ben Arfa could easily cover a centre mid just a little further forward or Bigirimana could come in.

Like I say, we are purchasing players for sell on value only before filling in our main rudderless (as you say) positions. I.e striker, Left wing, Cover for right back. These are my main concerns for the team.

Cyprus,

I havn’t named a bench, I’v just mentioned the strongest possible 11 to give us our place mid-table come the end of the season. This is the starting 11 for me that needs to be playing more often than not as our second string and back up is no where near of the same quality.

I’v mentioned injuries in the post, of course the same 11 won’t stay injury free.

• jimmysmith

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I now think Ashley’s goal is to make the club profitable and debt free, although the debt is to himself and therefore a spurious one as far as I can tell, as he will effectively have creamed the debt off as payment to himself and then he will be in a position to sell it on debt free for a large profit.

It remains to be seen if when the club ever did become debt free, whether any ongoing profits would then be plowed back into the growth of the club, or siphoned off elsewhere. Either way, the owner will almost certainly run a top 6 sized club on a mid sized clubs budget with the same and continuing predictable outcomes.

• jimmysmith

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Last sentence should read, “Either way, until then……”

• Iain Dowie

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM

some People on this blog are ridiculous, I’m sick of reading about how people want Pardew sacked blah blah blah. The bottom line is if we were to sack Pardew who are you going to replace him with? you can bet your bottom dollar that no top managers would work under Ashley and Kinnear.
    Pardew has a poor squad to work with while not getting the finance to buy players. We massively overate our players, players like Anita and Marvuex. As a season ticket holder i can tell you that most of the views on these players aren’t shared in the crowd.
    As for some of the shouts i’ve heard in this blog such as why not hire Graham Carr as manager or why not sign BENZEMA hahah are you for real!!! Jesus, thats the kind of thing that gives us as Newcastle fans a bad name. We are nothing more than a mediocre club that will languish around the bottom half of the table while under Mike Ashley.

• Sydney Toon

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:31 AM

JFA
    Agreed that this window has been poor in so many ways. But lets say we did sign 2-3 players and Cabaye leaves, at the end of the window we will hopefully have 3-4 quality players in the door for the loss of only one. It was a matter of time that Cabaye would go, it is expected that players will want to further themselves. Unfortunately out owner and manager seem to be on the wrong page. I think MA wants success just not at a premium, look at what Rodgers and Laudrup achieved with a right budget at Swansea, Clarke at West Brom, Jol at Fulham… Get the right manager and a great squad and you can have success without blowing budgets. I just want to see a new manager who coaches flowing possession based football and work with our quite strong squad and see where we end up. If we are not going anywhere, well we either get MA out or to change his ways and spend the money a little more to give us the players we require.