This Player To Come Through Big For Magpies?

Vurnon Anita came in for the missing Yohan Cabaye on Saturday afternoon against West Ham and he had a very solid if unspectacular game in defensive midfield, and seemed to link up well with Moussa Sissoko, who showed signs of his best form, with some surging runs up the middle of the park.

vurnon anita west ham

Vurnon Anita – had a good game on Saturday

And in our voting for out best player against West Ham, Anita easily won it with a good 53% of the vote with Ben Arfa second at 9%, Santon at 7% and Sissoko at 6%.

We all know Anita is a very good technical players, but he found the Premier League difficult last season, but hopefully he’s coming to grips with it, and he had this to say yesterday on the Newcastle web-site:

“As a player you always want to play, and against West Ham was my chance to play and show what I can do. It is up to the coach to decide if I play the next game or not. I feel like I did my best.”

“I liked playing in that role alongside Moussa Sissoko, but that’s not up to me. That’s up to the coach to decide. If he plays us, if he plays me, I am ready.”

“We have focused a lot on keeping the ball,”  “The second half we showed it . We had plenty of little one-twos, but we didn’t score. That’s the only negative point.”

“The only way we can turn the possession into shots and goals is if we work on our movement in the final third a bit more.”  “We need to get in behind the strikers. Little things like that. As long as we are patient, keep the ball, then those doors will open up for us.”

Good words form Vurnon there.

Of course if Yohan Cabaye does leave then Anita will instantly become a much more important player for Newcastle, but even if Yohan ends up staying on Tyneside, we hope Vurnon can get to grips with the physical nature of the Premier League, because he can still become an important player for the side.

We hope he does just that.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• dubzy

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

looks like they got cisse playing ATT MF BY THE LOOKS OF THINGS….NO WONDER HES NOT SCORING

• Shearer.Milburn

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Ive been trying to make excuses for Cabaye but after seeing rooney play so well last night after the massive bids from Chelsea I think he has to play or else f off to the reserves.

• theartfuldodger

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM

If we sell cabaye for 15m or 20m it means that ashley has spent more money on his burgers than on players.

Good words from Anita. Pardew Kinnear please learn.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Well said and hopefully be gets a run in the side now.

Mactoon and Ibiza

Jurgen klopp is on a reported 1.8mil euro a year. That’s just over £30k a week. Surely if they want to improve us but not spend huge amounts surely a very good manager could be picked for only 25/30k a week which is no more than an average players wage.

I said I’d give pardew time but I’m getting less patient and also keep thinking why not just get better, just go and improve us instantly.

• gaz 44

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Kinnear would be no good as a nazi, the propaganda he’s sppouting just makes his community hate him and Ashley more

• Rainrix

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM

He didn’t struggle last season. He simply didn’t get a consistent chance He did for a brief while in november and he was MOM for about 3 games in a row before he was unfairly dropped for a returning tiote. Until tiote can show the form he did when he first arrived here anita should be starting every game.

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Out Toon, good point that.Pardew was talking about “carpet football” and playing “on the front foot”.

How wrong can he be…

It’s like saying “you’re going for a trip to the moon”, only to be handed a Mars Bar in Poundland.

Awful

• TurkishFan101

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Morning lads! Hopefully im not being to excited but Thauvin is set to leave Lille and looks like OM cannot get him as they are classed as rivals. So far, nufc and roma have registered interest. ? see this being a possibility only after Cabaye is gone. Ayew+Thauvin would be excellent additions to us but right now we can only wait and see. Also we still have interest for gourcuff and gomis. So nothing is over but it seems we are trying to bargain it out as usual. ?magine If we got Ayew+Thauvin+Gourcuff+Gomis at the expense Of Cabaye, i would be more than happy to let cabaye go If we got those players in!!

• MacToon

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

geordiesteve, have you got the link to the shields gazette story you posted?

• catchy in norway

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM

why isn’t he played more,

Jonas used to be one of my fave players, always tries,, but sometimes you need more than just working hard,
    Anita works hard and dosnt waste the ball,

my pet hate with Jonas now is he goes down far to easy, given the other team time to regroup, as we all know set plays are not good so we are wasting good momentum

anita seems to be a smart cookie

• catchy in norway

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Laurent Robert 32

this is what I have been saying for over 2 years now,, he is a badly dubbed film, the words that come out of his mouth never match what we are seeing

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Ibiza

You’re right that some things need to be kept secret in order for the club to do its business properly (be that transfer business or commercial business) but I really hope that after this transfer window, we have some idea what is going on!

Maybe the fans forum can help. Do we know if there’s anyone on this blog who is involved?

• theartfuldodger

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

TurkishFan … Are you implying that kinnear is so smart that he threw everyone a dummy by saying that The squad is good enough just to bring down players costs and bargain better ? And now were getting 4 players more…

• Ibizatoon

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Good words from Anita. I do feel if Cabaye leaves that Anita is capable of stepping in and that we have other areas that need addressing before getting in a Cabs replacement.

Also good to read Anita comment on a move towards a passing method of play. It may not be showing much yet, but we’re two competitive games in and it will take some time. At least it’s a step in the right direction.

TS…It’s not even just about wages for a manager though. Klopp is at a club that wants to match his ambition. With all of the nonsense that goes on at our club, would a decent manager put up with it? I have major doubts.

• Wiz

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Is Anita seen as Tiote’s replacement, or as Cabaye’s? Either way he is not as good. We Geordies love potential heroes, and Anita is the latest. He has had one fairly good game. He was man of the match because almost everyone else was abysmal (and in any case I would have chosen Mbiwa). He is following in the steps of Stephen Taylor, Leon Best, and Sammy Ameobi as Hysterical Star Of The Future. I like Anita, but he can’t tackle and can’t head the ball. Brian Clough wouldn’t have touched him with a bargepole.

• catchy in norway

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Wiz

are you smoking a pipe with something in it ?? just kidding 😉

I think you have it wrong

Anita won many MOM last season also, I think he would shine under a better manager, as would a few other players we have, cisse for one

• Slank

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I feel that Anita has the skill and vision to pick a pass in the last third. He isn’t as robust as Cabaye but with Sissoko and Tiote alongside him he doesn’t need to be.

I’m wondering whether Man Utd will turn to Cabaye if Arsenal bow out and Moyes doesn’t get Fellaini.

• jeff

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM

anita is very underrated

people like ruddy think hes bad cause hes a midget #disgrace

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

First and foremost, I think Anita is an excellent player, secondly, this isn’t Twitter.

• nut meg

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Wiz
    I disagree with you,Anita is a clough type of player.Pass & move the ball around on the ground.One of cloughie’s famous lines was if football was meant to be played up in the sky,they would ‘ve put grass up there.Not word perfect maybe but you get the gist of it.

• Wiz

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Catchy, I admit I’m being a bit unfair. Plainly Vurnon is much better than Leon Best. He is also, more controversially, better than Stephen Taylor. If I had a pipe with something in it I would undoubtedly be smoking it right now …

• Ibizatoon

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Didn’t Pardew say over the summer or at the end of last season that Anita would feature more this season….

We know he’s not one to take too many risks, but maybe we will now see more of Anita this season.

Was Tiote injured for the West Ham game?

TDS…No idea if anyone on here in involved with the fans forum tbh, I imagine there is someone though. Be good to hear how it’s going.

I hold some hope that the club will still act in this window. I’m not sure if it will make me feel much better though as I wont be able to sway myself from thinking it was reactionary again.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I definitely think Anita is good enough. It’s not just the West Ham game forming this opinion. Whilst mistakes would have been made, he is new to the league and that will happen.

In almost every game he’s started, he’s got MOTM. Give him game time and I feel he will deliver.

Ha ha, Ruddy hates midgets 🙂 Love this blog.

Anyway, whose Bogarting that pipe?

• geordiesteve520

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

• count

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Something we agree on ruddy! Anita being good.

Anita, when given the ball in the right area of the pitch (beyond the halfway line), is probably the least wasteful player we have. Doesn’t try to be spectacular, just tries to bring his team mates into the game.
    People go on about creative midfielders, surely all you need to be a creative midfielder is to be able to get the ball to the forwards. Creating chances for them. It is up to the forwards to get into the right areas before they receive the ball.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Ibiza
    Yes Tiote was injured – hamstring I think.

This coming Saturday’s team.
    My team would be same as finished with Remy if fit replacing Sammy – Goufron and Remy up front.

• Wiz

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

nut meg, Clough used to send his scouts (according to John McGovern) to matches with instructions to find out a) can they head the ball b) can they tackle c) can they trap the ball d) can they volley. He would never look at a player who couldn’t do all of those things. Do you remember when Gary Rowell scored a hat-trick against us in the Derby in 1978, I think it was? The papers were full of how Clough was going to buy him. But when Clough was actually asked about Rowell, he asked what was the boy’s name again, and expressed the private opinion that Rowell couldn’t head the ball and couldn’t tackle. Gary Megson was highly rated by some people, but Cloughie said he couldn’t trap a bag of cement. That’s why Forest teams were all very very sound and full of players who could get the team out of trouble. I have a problem with Cisse as a result … he can’t trap the ball. I’m not sure he can head it either. Weirdly, if you go through our first team at the moment, the only players Clough would have been interested in would have been Coloccini, Santon, Gutierrez, and Tiote.

• banjax

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

The big problem with buying young players for sell on value is that as the Toon is finding, is the lack of experience on the pitch. By the time a 21 year old prospect is 23 yo he is expecting to leave the nursery and move to a bigger club for better wages. Ashley cannot continue in this vein otherwise, as we have seen, our results suffer and our best players are being sold at a good price but that money is not being re-invested in top quality players who have a wealth of experience at other clubs. FIFA have a lot to answer for by not applying their solvency rule with rigour and as a result clubs like ours who do not have multi-billionaire Sheiks and Oligarks to pour silly money into clubs, are going to suffer badly. Like it or not we are stuck with Mike Ashley and his way of doing business until a very wealthy person wants to buy his or her own subuteo game. So buckle up everybody because the Toon Rollercoaster is back on track !

• Mondini

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM

@ TurkishFan101

Thauvin is a realistic target because of his age and was one of the stars in FIFA World Cup. However, I really do not see much difference with him and Tom Ince who has more pace and is more direct as they play in similar roles.

We really need to look closer to home.

• ronjohno

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

WIZ

Cannot believe you comments about Anita.
    He plays football the Ajax way not the Pardew way and we should be thankful for that at least.
    As regards Clough – he did in fact buy Megson only realising his mistake afterwards.

• K T Cat

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Ed, I’ve been no fan at all of Vurnon Anita, but I’ll agree he was quite good against West Ham. I’d happily be wrong about him!

As for the rest of the squad, I’ve about had it with Cisse. I’m sure he’s a good fellow and kind to his mother, but he doesn’t have any aggressiveness at all. He always looks like he’s just waiting around for something to happen. I’d play Marveux and Gouffran up top instead.

• Topp_Dawg

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Call me crazy, but I think Dan Gosling deserves a chance. I reckon he will bring about some good energy and movement in the side! Besides he, like Anita, has everything to prove and the potential we know he has cannot be realised unless Mr Pardew is brave enough to take risks in both his line-ups and formations. I do honestly believe that the players we have are a great bunch but are underutilized due to manager’s fear of taking risks! Anyone perhaps agree or disagree with me?