Worrying Hold Up In Bafe Gomis Discussions

Sky Tyne and Wear is reporting today that Newcastle are in discussions with Lyon and agents on bringing Bafitimbi  Gomis to Tyneside on a permanent deal, and the club are also in talks with Chelsea in an attempt to bring Demba Ba back to Newcastle.

bafetimbi gomis on ground

Bafe Gomis – wages the stumbling block?

Of the two deals, we think we have a good chance of getting Bafe Gomis to Newcastle, and with Loic Remy coming in on a season long loan deal, that would mean we have brought in two top strikers, albeit they are another two Frenchmen – but the job would have been accomplished this summer – at a minimum – and always assuming that Yohan Cabaye stays on Tyneside.

But we don’t think we’ll have much hope with Demba Ba, since there are a number of top clubs after him, including Italian club Roma, who may be favorites to sign the Senegal striker,  either on a one year loan deal for £3M or permanently for £10M.

The news is that Chelsea want a permanent deal, which is not surprising since Jose Mourinho has made it clear there is no future for Demba at Chelsea – he should have stayed with Newcastle. 😀

Ba never really worked out how to play with his fellow countryman Papiss Cisse at Newcastle, and that will be in his mind, as well as wanting to try pastures anew, since he was at Newcastle for eighteen months where he did great with 29 goals in 58 appearances – and no wonder he is a big favorite with the fans.

Yes, it would be fantastic if he came back to Newcastle, but from his perspective we think there are probably better options elsewhere.

But if  we can get Bafe through the door that would be great – and we must say the French International has handled himself very well over the last several weeks, and it must have been very frustrating for him.

However, the new news being reported is that it’s the wages Bafe is asking for that is now holding up the deal, according to Sky Tyne and Wear, and that’s the first time that’s been brought up – so that’s just a little bit worrying.

It would be dispopointing if it’s the wages that bring the deal to an end, because Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas a few weeks ago said that Newcastle had offered the player £70K/week, but that cannot possibly be true.

So we are still on tenterhooks a bit – but now’s the time for Joe to get the job done for the club – with only four days to go. 🙁

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• JAMSHA

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM

ba,gomis,pacy young st, 1 winger

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

It takes us nearly a month to sign an average ST? Mind boggling.

• MrMojoRisin76

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Puts an end to that rumour.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Ruddy,
    My biggest worry is that we have done our transfer business already, we were never in for Darren Bent and Gomis was being used to make out that we would walk away from the Remy deal if they messed about, this latest charade could quite possibly be another exercise to keep the chanting down until the window closes before being given the usual difficult window and over the line spiel.

• Noah Another Ameobi

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

some team news a head of the fulham game

• stu mel

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Everybody seems to have goufy in there line out, I can’t see it ATM I feel he has no confidence and there’s to much pressure round him and I feel if where not careful he could be killed off as a player because are direr need for a goal scorer. I don’t think he’s found his grit yet and to be fair I fear for him, as he’s a decent player and he has more impacted as a fresh face to the game, until or when? We find those goals, then I do feel he come into his own as there are elements to his game which totally out shine the poacher that can’t poach cisse

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Damn, despite being short of time I still managed to rattle off an essay and Ed still managed a new article by the time I finished…

Short of time so I’m going to post a few opinions and let certain people either attack me or praise me at the same time…

Pardew – must be royally p*ssed off right now with the lack of transfers and the Cabaye debacle but is being incredibly professional. Normally I’d expect him to get sacked after a lacklustre start to the season but I can’t place all the blame on his door.

Cabaye – he won’t be the first footballer not to play when there’s a bigger club after him. But I’d love to know the truth on why he hasn’t played. If he goes, I hope we are told what really happened (and not a “he said” back and forth like Carroll).

JFK – what the hell is he doing??? He was brought in to get players over the line and to use his football knowledge as an improvement over business-orientated Llambias.

Fans forum – I haven’t heard anything about this for a while, but I really hope this works out so we can get some more direct communication from the club about the plans for the future.

League Cup – I’m not happy at all that yet again we risked going out to a lower league club by playing a reserve team. And I’m shocked that players like Marv and Vuckic didn’t work their socks off to prove they are worthy of a regular starting place.

Effort – when we got 5th place, the key thing for me was that Pardew had the whole team working as hard as they could on the pitch. The effort was obvious as we chased down every ball and played hard until the final whistle. Watching Tiote put in crunching tackles before Cabaye started attacking move after attacking move was brilliant. We didn’t always score the most beautiful goals but it was effective. Where has that gone??

Creativity – Cabaye is (was?) our playmaker and is needed to set up attacks, Ben Arfa is our wildcard who can turn a match at any point, but beyond that, where is the creativity? I haven’t seen much from Goofy or Marv so far, Remy is injured and I don’t see Sissoko having that vision, although he does have excellent drive.

Goals – Cisse is all too easy to mark out of the game because he’s our only goal threat. Opposing defenders just aren’t going to be too scared about Goofy, Shola or Ben Arfa having a crack because they miss a lot more than they score. We need Cabaye in the team coming from deep, we need Remy playing, we need another striker to take the weight off Cisse and we need all the attacking players to use the extra space that will be created.

I just want to get this damn transfer window over and done with so we know what we’ve got to work with for the rest of the year…

• Wiz

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM

There’s bound to be hold-ups and snags and sticking points with any new signing until it is clear that Cabaye will be transferred. We won’t be signing anyone of consequence if Cabaye stays. Pardew is saying today that he is formally and solemnly announcing that he wants Cabaye to play against Fulham. Great. He is doing that having been ordered by Ashley not to play him against West Ham. Of course that was to keep the player injury-free. Now it looks as though Arsenal are losing interest because of Ashley’s ludicrous and almost surreal greed, and it is important that Cabaye is back in the shop window. It is astonishing we are not hearing noises from Cabaye, but I imagine he wants a transfer as much as Ashley.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Jail

The anti-Ashely boo boys were out in force last night and I was glad to hear it. I’d like to hear the opinions of fans who travelled how many hundred miles to Morecambe as it would appear that these fans are fed up with Mike Ashley and it will be interesting if after 2nd Sept, with no further significant business, if these murmurs become a roar or if these fans are simply no longer going to SJP and just going to away games.

I agree that our transfer business is more than likely done and the “we couldn’t get them over the line” phrase will be rolled out by the dummy but no doubt it is Mike with his hand up his @rse feeding him the words.

Frustrated, but not surprised is the general feeling at the moment, JFK’s nonsensical ramblings of how we needed 2 more attacking players to help Sissy was a load of old tosh and we’re going into this season low in confidence, morale, cohesion or any sort of plan whatsoever. May be early doors but a relegation dogfight looks like the order of the day for this season.

• JaxtheMag

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM

any1 who thinks we are getting gomis or ba is dreaming, pardew says we are shopping in a narrow market, which means poundstechers. Ashley wont spend. we are going down.

• MrMojoRisin76

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Arsenal sign Flamini,Maybe they have ended their interest in Cabaye.

• JaxtheMag

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

waiting for pardew to come out and talk up the amiobs. we didn’t want 1 now we have 2 ffs.

• stu mel

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Has everybody been listening to that foul mouth guy on you tube, it’s not intellect that his spouting has derived from his in sight is 4 bottle of brown ale and I couple of guys who sit at a bar and pull the world to shreds as if they have never put a foot wrong in there life,
    What give him this great insight his mates and gossip. Saying Ashley is the reason that cabs isn’t playing is not a fact, even if some dude in his barren flat in his very worn in arm chair tells you it is.

• Wiz

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Ruddy – we might well be in a relegation dog-fight but I don’t think, in the end, that we’ll actually go down. Ashley is a cautious, even slow, learner, but once he learns he doesn’t forget. He is mountainously obstinate and trusts wholly and completely in his carefully amassed knowledge and instincts and judgements. One of the things he has learned is that January is early enough to take remedial action. When it is simply a matter of getting forty points, and January marks the halfway point for the season, that leaves almost twenty games to put things right. Why spend now? January will be just as good.

• Wiz

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

stu mel, it’s possible that you were referring to me when you were talking about how nonsensical it is to claim Ashley has ordered Pardew not to pick Cabaye. I am indeed sitting in my own filth in an armchair that nobody else would ever sit in, even if I ever had visitors. However the Ashley story is a) reasonably well sourced, though I have no exclusively special information b) consistent with known facts c) the only account that is consistent with those known facts, because otherwise the club would be punishing Cabaye. As it is, the club seems to approve of him, wouldn’t you say? Very nice of them to big him up so he can fulfil his dream at a more ambitious club. Anyway, you’d be more than welcome round here for a glass of Pinot Noir. Bring your own seat though.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM

ToonDarfSouth

nice review on the overall structure at the club, however even though I agree with the things you say doesn’t mean I was happy reading it. So depressing thinking I spent next to nowt on my season ticket when we finished 5th. now I feel like am being robbed.

The only thing I disagree with is that Cisse is a goal threat. The only threat he poses is a potential torn hamstring.

• Davies

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Wiz: I read that Cabaye is being fined. Not a fact, of course, just what’s in the press, but that’s the same for all these stories. I’ve yet to read any facts.

• maggymay

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

The talk of everyone is we need more bodies?,but after watching that excuse for a football match last night,I have to say the frenchman worry me.
    marveux full international aswell as debuchy,gouffran & mwbia,these players should really dictate a game against a robust but limited morecambe side.
    what followed was mwbia, talk about ball watching,his all round game is suspect,his distrubution is dodgy and gouffran is no better than obertan,marveux is limited in what he gives over 90mins!!.
    The fans can talk about adding bodies all they want,but it is quality we want! look at last night that is the best we can offer if any one gets injured i’m sorry but this once great club is in major decline.Ba is wanted back after 7 months,I will tell you why because this team is average, ba is average it hasn’t taken chelsea long to sus him out,we all beleive pardews to blame?do we really beleive another manager would do better with these players!!.
    Just 10 years ago champions league a team to be proud of,this is not just ashleys doing,shepherd and hall took millions from the club and left the club nearly bankrupt,we may never see the likes of keegan’s team again,but to be honest i just want to be proud of my club again!!!! Watching the last 3 games and whats going on behind the scenes makes me ashamed to be associated with the current set up,I don’t blame pardew I blame ashley and shepherd 1 a market trader 1 a scrap man need I say more!!!!!!.