It was a game we all needed yesterday – not the first half when we looked toothless with no bite up front, but in those last 45 minutes, when we piled on the pressure, until Ben Arfa showed one little bit of magic, and his fantastic goal gave us all 3 points.
Ben Arfa – after scoring yesterday
And Alan Pardew can take a lot out of this game, especially from the second half performance – here are some of the positives from yesterday:
- It was our first league win of the season and our first league goal of the season
- It was Newcastle’s third clean sheet in a row, and we have now conceded four goals in four games, which is a lot better than four goals in one game, which is how we started the season at the Etihad
- The back four is looking very solid, and Mapou Yabga-Mbiwa had another good game in central defense, and Steven Taylor could find it hard to get back into the starting line-up in front of the Frenchman
- Both Moussa Sissoko and Vurnon Anita again had good games in the center of the field, and Vurnon in particular seems to be coming through this seoasn and showing us what a very good technical player he is, and he plays the game simply – opu can start seeing he cam through the Ajax Youth Academy
- In the last 25 minutes Newcastle showed with the right players on the field, we can be a very decent attacking force this season
- Loic Remy looked very good in his first appearance for the side, and he can give us some speed, skill and movement up front – he looks an exciting player
- Ben Arfa continued his good form, and scored a terrific goal that should win any game – if we can only keep this lad fit
And our best player at Morecambe on Wednesday night – Sammy Ameobi – didn’t even get on yesterday, and Ben Arfa on one wing and Sammy on the other could give us the creativity we need, to create the chances in the season ahead.
We still need another striker brought in – but if we keep Yohan and bring in another striker (Demba Ba on loan?) – we should be in decent shape for the season.
But Joe Kinnear has to do his job before 11:00 pm on Monday night rolls around.
Comments always welcome, but please keep them civil.
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:
You can also reach Ed at email@example.com