The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Must Stop Acting Like Victims In Transfer Market

9:14 am, Monday, September 2nd, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 92 Comments

The Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew is still concerned that another club will come in with a late bid for French International Yohan Cabaye today, and of course if that happens and Mike Ashley accepts the bid, then we’ll be screwed, because there wont  be enough time left to bring in a suitable replacement. That’s in  essence why Alan Pardew is very worried today.   and also why he’s aged so much already this season. :D

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Manchester City v Newcastle United - Etihad Stadium

Alan Pardew – still worried about late bid for Cabaye

If Newcastle do sell Cabaye today and go after other central midfielders, their price will go up significantly,  because they will know that Newcastle have big money to spend with so little time left in the window, and we’ll end up short like we did when Andy Carroll left Newcastle on the last day of the January transfer window two years ago.

If you don’t learn from your mistakes then history will keep repeating itself.

If we were to hazard a guess, we don’t think any club will come in for Cabaye, because of the high price of £20M Newcastle have put on his head, assuming that’s the amount Newcastle want for their star play-maker.

Pardew has said in the past that if there is a late bid today, then Newcastle have a plan for what to do.

Plans and strategies are all very good, but the most difficult thing is to execute on them – and there is so little time left – 14 hours and the clock is ticking – that our chances of success are already low.

And we’re a little sick of being victims like this in the transfer market, and that it’s up other clubs to determine how we do – and that if a top bid comes in then we would have to sell Cabaye, because the money it too good to turn down.

Nonsense.

We don’t have to sell – and if any bid comes in today – and we cannot get a replacement in - then don’t sell Cabaye.

Put Newcastle’s squad first for a change – and forget about the money.

It’s about time Alan Pardew and other leaders at Newcastle started to think of the club in other terms than we are a small club who need to sell our top players – and that we are therefore prey for the top clubs.

My late father must be turning in his grave.

Newcastle can and should alter this situation – we should be trying to build  a top team again.

The fact that it’s obvious we aren’t, is the major reason why so many fans are frustrated with the timid leadership at the club right now.

A club as great in history as Newcastle United needs bold leadership – and we haven’t got that at the moment – and that’s the truth.

Comment welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

92 responses so far ↓

• 1 Carr Toon // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM

1st

• 2 Markaccus // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Thats a very thoughtful statement, Carr.

• 3 Indian Magpie // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Graeme Bailey ?@GraemeBailey 1m
    North East wise Sunderland will be doing at least two, Boro trying – Newcastle probably nothing at all – in or out.

• 4 Toon73 // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM

JFK has already assured us we will be playing Champions League. He’s probably on the phone contacting a world class manager right now.

Have faith in the Joker.

• 5 Beattie25 // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM

The most disgusting thing to me is the fans who buy into this thought process.

Ashley has stripped us bare, ashamed us and made us feel worthless and some of you have accepted this as normality.

• 6 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM

14 more hours of people on here speculating on how many people we will or will not sign today, yawn!

• 7 Markaccus // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Martoon.

Morning. Yep first day back so early blogging for me :D
    On bendtner… i still think we could do much worse. No harm in a short contract. He does score goals if he gets a run of games.

• 8 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Is it time to judge Kinnear yet?

• 9 SuperShearer // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM

It depends who comes in for him. If it’s Arsenal, demand a player in exchange, if it’s PSG again…demand a player on loan or bump up the offer. The power at this stage of the game HAS to be with the selling club. It may have hurt when it was AC but looks what a deal that proved to be.

• 10 martoon // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Morning Markaccus – Back to work and straight on the blog – I like it. Bendtner eh! i must remember not to park my car in Newcastle center :)

• 11 Carr Toon // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM

“DEADLINE DAY TRANSFER” for Ashley means selling not buying. And each time Pardew says “if the late bid comes in ………….”; I can sense the bid is already in place and they are waiting for dying hours to accept it.

• 12 Markaccus // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Beattie

I find the whole thing highly abnormal, in any business let alone football, and i think the FA should start stepping in and putting a stop to careless owners p1ssing about like this. We are not the only club with problematic owners (they manifest with many different problems but all cause there own brand of trouble) Even man u and liverpool have ownership issues.

• 13 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM

@Beattie25
    He’s just the owner. There are far far worse out there and we’ve had worse before.
    I don’t feel worthless mate. Far from it. Full of optimism for the season ahead. We have a great looking squad now, Ben Arfa fit and healthy, Colo happy and back to his best. Anita & Santon really settled in now and Sissoko and Mbiwa really looking the part. We’ve only seen 15 minutes of Remy but looks class. Add to that one of the best 3 keepers in the prem. Ashley who?

• 14 bills-son // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Beattie,

How has Ashley stripped us bare??

Last I saw all our top players were still here.

• 15 Markaccus // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Martoon @10

See comments @7 :D

• 16 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Still support for Ashley on here? Wow

• 17 darrenfletcher88 // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Woke up this morning, transfer deadline day, look at sky sports all the clubs around us investing getting there final players for the long hard season ahead us Newcastle are waiting for are best player to leave which will happen and we will get no one in, but we tryed and it’s so hard to get players over the line bla bla bla! One player on loan is not good enough for are great club! I woke up excited but we all no what’s going to happen!!

• 18 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Support, did I miss that?

• 19 DiscoNUFC // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Agent being interviewed on tsport currently says there is a PL club who have failed to get 4 striker deals done that have come to him for an out of contract player he would never connect with a PL club…

The guy sounds genuinely shocked by the approach

Please tell me its not us? Kuqi didnt work out so we cant think that the answer again surely????

• 20 G.unit // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I always said I would reserve judgment until the end of the transfer and I know technically it is still not shut but I have a feeling that Newcastle business is done. (Did it ever start).

The most frustrated I have ever been as a Newcastle in my lifetime. We finished 5th and this was the perfect opportunity to kick on. Did we?? No. Nearly relegated last season, so you would think that Ashley would sit in his fat seat and invest at least 20 million into the club for players. Has he?? Not and not likely to at this late stage. It normally takes Newcastle about a couple of days just to complete a medial!!

Whichever way you look at it, you just can’t defend this in any shape or form. We might be okay this season to avoid relegation but it’s the lack of ambition that hurts the most and the fact that owner to the manager are happy avoiding relegation season after season!!

• 21 valle // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Bills-son… So are you happy with the transfer window we have had so far? I would really like to know!

• 22 theartfuldodger // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Pardew and Kinnear dont discuss much do they.
    Pardew said after fulham game that he would be disappointed not to get a striker.
    Its so strange. Its like ashley or kinnear saying I dont care a crap about how you feel.
    Obviously there is a difference in assessment. We havent even been linked with anyone except gomis.

There I go again try to put together the pieces of the nufc pizzle

• 23 valle // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

You have to feel a bit sorry for Pardew. Like him or loathe him, his job aint made any easier by MA and JfK.

• 24 Markaccus // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Ok. Just my thoughts…..

If we play 433 and cabaye goes, we have anita sissoko marv tiote jonas gosling bigi. Surely 3 from 7 is enough to get by. We can then use the cabaye money to get a couple of forwards to suppliment cisse remy goofy and the ameobi bros

• 25 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

At last, the day we’ve all been waiting for. The silliest day of silly season.

Should be fun…

• 26 G.unit // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM

bills-son

Don’t take this as me jumping on your post, just a questions really, but when the Transfer window shuts and we don’t sign one more player and no one is sold. Would you see that as a successful transfer window??

• 27 Beattie25 // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Bills-son & Felipe

Don’t speak to me please.

I’ll give you the courtesy of this response but please don’t attempt to talk to me on this blog.

I neither respect or appreciate your comments/opinions and it would be best just to ignore one another.

In finishing Bills-son Ashley stripping us bare was a figure of speech, words painting pictures, an attempt at highlighting the shame he has brought us.

Felipe, you’re belief that Ashley is good because we have had worse is one of the reasons I think you are either a troll or slightly insane. Good luck in all your endeavors because even in the greatest of failures you will probably find the most amazing success , such is your short sighted arrogance.

• 28 Markaccus // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Probably wishful thinking

• 29 Sazzer // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Great Obertan isnt leaving reports say now and we lost out on Thauvin. So most likely thats it finito, over, arrividerci.

• 30 BandB // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM

DiscoNUFC

He was having a good chuckle about it, wasn’t he?
    He said; “I’d never have imagined this player at that club in a million years.”
    He didn’t say who the bizarre phone call was from though.

• 31 Spreadthetoon // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Has NUFC gone backwards or stayed still……?

IMO I think the club has stood still, where as other clubs have tried to improved albeit we have secured the loan of Remy for the season.

It is very clear to me that MA and JFK never had any REAL intention of buying anyone this window. I bet Carr thinks what’s the point in scouting players…..???!!!

I think the club will end up between 11th and 20th…..that’s the reality. I cannot get excited about this season as the owners treat the players, club and fans in such an abject manner. It’s disgusting. I am so disappointed with the whole situation cos’ of the inaction….it’s a reason why I’ve not posted much lately.
    I’ll back me club, I’ll back the players, I’ll even back the manager with gritted teeth, but I’ll never ever ever back JFK or the other jokers. Shame on you.

• 32 A monkey is better then Pardew // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Hasn’t aged enough to the point where he retires…

• 33 Spreadthetoon // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Sakho to Liverpool btw, quality signing.

• 34 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I would settle for no-one in only IF NO-ONE GOES OUT!

What I saw of the last 20 minutes at the TOON on Saturday was as exciting as I have seen for a long time and when the TOON click we are not bad to watch. AND PARDEW BELIEVES IN PLAYING THAT STYLE OF FOOTBALL WITH GOUFRAN, CISSE and REMY up front

• 35 DiscoNUFC // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM

BandB @30

Its gona be us isnt it?

They’ve misunderstood and they’re bringin shearer back!

• 36 Transfer Sage // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Markacus

I don’t like Ashley and his policy but I dot believe he is doing any harm to the club financially which is what fit and proper tests for the FA look into.

If anything he is ensuring we make not lose money and pay of debt. Not entertaining at all for us and I don’t like it but in terms of the health of the club it’s in very good shape.

Lots of people say the squad did capable of top ten so if that is true then it’s just the manager he needs to improve. Can honestly say he is doing a bad job, just a very boring job of running the club.

• 37 Markaccus // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Disco

Bent aubemayang bony and gomis. That team has to be us :(

• 38 Thump // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

@Spreadthetoon: We’ve stood still while other clubs move forwards.

• 39 petey // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

We should have got a move on when we finished 5th. Perfect chance to lure big or promising players. If that happened I reckon we could have got that 5 year target or however long it was. Now I fear any transfer Is too late because we have to do it all over again anyway. Sad times I’m afraid. We won’t be doing any surprise deals today I think. Maybe one or two old championship players to provide cover. I heard Kevin Phillips is warming a bench somewhere.

Hope I’m wrong of course. After all I was being negative before the Fulham game too

• 40 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

@Beattie25
    I didn’t say I thought Ashley was good he just doesn’t make me feel ashamed or worthless. We have a maverick owner just like we have a maverick winger.
    I really don’t think about him much when I watch the toon on Saturday afternoon. I just cheer on the team, whoever is on the pitch.

• 41 Ian Toon // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Good Morning

• 42 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM

@petey
    I think we have pushed on since finishing 5th. We lost Ba, Perch and Simpson and added Remy, Debuchy, Sissoko, Mbiwa and Haidara. Anita and Santon have bedded in. Little by little…

• 43 BandB // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM

DiscoNUFC,

We’ll see, I suppose. The agent seemed to think it was hilarious, whoever it was.

• 44 Markaccus // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Sage

Yes money wise its fine. Our problems arrise because, as i have said before, he is a cluster-fcuk when it comes to footballing decisions, and repeats his mistakes. Yes our squad might be strong enough for top 10, but two or three injuries to the better players and bang, trouble again

• 45 theartfuldodger // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Felipe and bills-son

Optimism about this season is fine to an extent(the extent being few injuries) .. but what abt the long term.
    What about pushing on.
    Where would you like the club to be in 3 yrs. And does Ashley want the same.

My opinion is that we are just being manipulated. The higher we finish this season, the harder we will fall in the next one.
    You want to wait for that fall. AGAIN ?

• 46 Jamseyd24 // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Morning Troops. im out in the middle east and am hearing nothing regards to transfer rumours. Does anyone have anything of interest and secondly whats the gen feeling, will we do any business???

• 47 FrankfurtMag // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Liverpool sign Sakho less than 48 hours after getting him to Merseyside.

What a joke our club is :D

I am sick of Pardew talking about losing players, yet we do not buy anyone. Its an absolute farce.

• 48 Thump // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM

@theartfuldodger: “Again”? That’s only happened once under the current regime.

• 49 petey // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Felipe sorry but signing the odd french player isn’t moving forward. Look at the business Southampton Norwich spurs Liverpool have been doing. That’s pushing forward. Big team small team it doesn’t matter. You don’t see their fans complaining every transfer window. Or worrying about a tough fixture against west ham .

• 50 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM

@theartfuldodger
    I don’t think Ashley has changed the plan. We’re going to manage the finances, buy and sell, gradually improve the squad. I think within three years we need to be established in the 6th/7th/8th positions and pushing to get back into the top 5. Much the same as Liverpool are doing and Spurs have already done in the last 5 years.

• 51 Jamseyd24 // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Frank, I agree the man needs a spine, and tell everyone how it is at the club. I dont think he is the best manager however I feel for him cause MA isnt supporting him. I think Pards knows he will never manage a club as big as NUFC again and doesnt want to rock the boat

• 52 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM

again is more than enough

• 53 sweendog // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM

BandB .. my reckoning it’s Swansea as Laudrup said he was looking at another striker ..

• 54 G.unit // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Sky Sports News claim we have enquiried about Blackpool’s Tom Ince.

So it have taken Newcaslte nearly 64 days to enquire about a player that has been available all summer!! I’m losing the plot.

• 55 Wandering Geordie // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM

So Pardews gave the players all a day off and Let Cabaye of the leash and return home to France…..Well that’s the last we will see of Yohan then…

• 56 theartfuldodger // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Debuchy, Sissoko, Mbiwa and Haidara came in cause we were in danger of going down and loosing 60m.
    Anyone can do that much math and spend.
    Remy is a loan. Here today ,perhaps gone trow.

If we get into europa again, ashley will order pardew to lose and drop out of it. Thats my take.

• 57 Spreadthetoon // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Thump

Would agree that overall the club has stood still. I’m not looking for a huge influx of players…..that’s not what we needed this window. I felt we did well last January and was pleased with the business we did.

All the board had to do was concentrate on quality….i.e. 4-5 players imo. Two strikers, a winger and a CB &/or CAM.

If we had done this then I think we would have been there or there abouts and then any future funding would have come from selling players. I would be content with that.

I would still be happy if we signed Thauvin and a quality striker….if we did that I would say our window would have been good. Reality is that’s unlikely to happen. So frustrating………..

• 58 Greebol1892 // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Don’t we always do last day deals?
    Cabaye OUT (I would be amazed if he stays) and a cheap signing / loan deal IN.

• 59 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM

@petey
    Last I looked Norwich and Southampton have the same points as us and they haven’t played Man City away. Not worried about them at all. Spurs and Liverpool have money we don’t have it’s true, which is why we have to be smarter on transfers.

• 60 toonarmydownsouth // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Spot on Ed absolutely spot on mate!

• 61 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Richest league in the world, new bumper tv deal, huge fan base, one of the biggest stadiums in the land ( rarely many seats spare) and a very good scout and we end up with a relegated teams striker on loan with either no agreed fee or no intention from Kinnear to use it

• 62 Thump // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM

@Felipe: I think within three years we need to be established in the 6th/7th/8th positions and pushing to get back into the top 5. Much the same as Liverpool are doing and Spurs have already done in the last 5 years.

Liverpool and Spurs have invested heavily. We had £35m and spent very little of it. I understand that’s how Ashley wants to run the club but we can’t sell a “purple” to sign a “purple”. He gave Pardew a massive 8 year contract citing “stability” as his reasoning yet is more than happy to tear the squad apart to the highest bidder. Surely I’m not the only one seeing the problem with that?

• 63 Novocastrian66 // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM

We will do nothing today.

• 64 breno95 // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Stripped us bare?
    Dramatic statement as unless i have missed something the only 2 players to have left who were seen as key players were Carroll for a stupid fee which wad far too good to refuse and Ba. Ba had a release clause due to problematic knee. Ok it never flared up so it just adds more ammunition to those who questioned the sale. What if it had flared up and Ba was a crock? As for Carroll, alot did not want him back.
    You could then refer to Nolan and Barton. Nolan wanted an improved 5yr contract at 30yrs old – was never going to get that contract and Barton (good player) but was trouble. He was sent to jail if folk have forgot.
    Like it or not MA is not going to personnally bankroll the club. Thats be made very clear. Its a business and is run as such and has to self finance everything.
    MA is owed money off NUFC Ltd and is legally entitled to claw back his money via dividends generated by profits (which at last accounts the club still had an operating loss of 4million) or as a named Director he can receive a lucrative salary. However, he cannot just take money without it being accounted for correctly for numerous reasons.
    So ‘stripped bare’ no is the answer to that one. The gripe is the exact opposite to ‘stripped bare’. Its the lack of incoming transfers that are annoying folk but as said above any such deals have to be self financed by the club. Gone are the days of borrowing against future revenues like Shepherd did. Disappointing but thats the reality.
    Just to disappoint further SSN report that there is nothing expected in terms of incoming players today. The only focus is will a bid come un for Cabaye.
    Like it, hate it, accept it or deplore it unless any one on here has or knows someone with a spare £300million to buy the club and the same again to personnally fund purchases then nothing posted in here or via the meetings held at the Irish centre is going to change things. Thats real and fact.

• 65 lesh // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM

WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Is it time to judge Kinnear yet?

The time for judging Kinnear was before he was brought back and Ashley should’ve done that and engaged a good and experienced person for the role.

Sadly, Kinnear’s proving to be yet another example of Ashley’s woeful decision making.

After Kinnear’s abysmal failure to do anything to stregthen the squad and training staff, he should be let go, before there’s any real damage is done!

• 66 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM

@theartfuldodger
    I don’t care why or when they came in. They’re here now and have improved the squad. Is Ba on a free contract with a cheap buy out clause any better than Remy on a season long loan? They can both leave at the end of the season if someone wants them. Ba left, Remy hasn’t yet.

• 67 jokinoot // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Lets face it no one will come in they are not bother wait till January see how we are doing no panic (buying) keep your money stuff it down your fat @rse

• 68 Transfer Sage // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM

markacus

true, but a lot of clubs in the league outside the top 6 are like that…have 3/4 key men who if injured don’t have a back up. Not saying we should accept mediocrity but I don’t think it’s a massive sin.

Also on FFP…just heard an interesting bit on BBC. Apparently the bale deal, as signed a 6 year contract, madrid are allowed to spread the 86mil fee over 6 years when assessing the FFP.

• 69 JAMSHA // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM

ohh my clubs are already finalizng deals n we are enquirng… nice trick by m.a to waste time so dat he doesnt spend

• 70 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

@thump 62
    “More than happy to tear the squad apart”?
    Sorry I don’t see that…

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Felipe,
    We were very nearly relegated last season and have started the season since our worst opening day defeat since being relegated in 88 and you call that moving forward since finishing fifth. Yes you are a troll.

• 72 joeinthecheapseats // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

There will Probably be a picture tomorrow in a newspaper of the JOKE sat in an east end bar this afternoon spending his bonus from Ashley for successfully sabotaging all of the targets Pardew and Carr identified.
    Ashley will Pay the JOKER 3months wages a sports direct style bonus some free donnay outfits from the millions he has saved him
    We all knew at the time what his appointmenteant especially after his talk sport interview but hoped for a lot better
    Sounded like the mental health patient he surely is

• 73 Markaccus // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Sage

Kind of makes a mockery of FFP doesnt it?

• 74 Thump // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM

@Spreadthetoon: If we were to bring in 4-5 players, we’d need to offload at least 2 of them (I think we have a 23 man squad?). I agree with a Thauvin-like character, likewise bringing in a strong forward… but I can’t see it happening.

A few seasons ago we wanted strength in depth and then we saw the likes of Anita, Bigi, Marveaux etc. coming in. That’s strength in depth, right? …but then no sod gets a game. Our team selection is about as intelligent as the computer manager in FIFA which, if you’re playing as a player, you’ll get a very realistic simulation. In my save we sold Ben Arfa and brought in Carlton Cole. Realistic is fcuk.

• 75 BandB // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I’d be happy if we had a good go for a cup. But winning a cup puts us into Europe. And they haven’t proved to me they want that again. So what are we actually competing for?

• 76 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM

@WWSBRD 61
    We ended up with the guy Carr wanted to replace Ba. I’m happy with that. Loan deal even better, especially if we have an option to buy.

• 77 petey // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I see what your saying felipe.. I don’t think your wrong. I just want more for our club. Rather than settling. What I meant is Norwich and Southampton are doing well for what the fans can expect. And yet we sit here on comparison with them. It your happy with that then fine, but i feel like Ashley promised us top 5. And that’s what I think our club deserves .

• 78 Transfer Sage // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM

markaccus

yeh..said it would be around 29mil they’d declare for bale this year combining 6th of fee and wages. Does make sense in a way…but annoying that all FFP does is support the top clubs and allows lesser clubs not to invest.

• 79 martoon // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM

So are we starting guessing who the surprise striker is – I quite like the earlier shout of Shearer out or retirement.

• 80 Sazzer // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM

On that suprised agent it probably Palace or Sunderland.

• 81 Rotonda heights // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Can’t help but feel this is all being set up for a sale of the club.

Minimum investment, jobs for the boys appointments rather than suitably qualified personnel etc, etc. lack of activity could mean good news in the longer run. That said, we still have the 7th most expensive squad on paper.

• 82 Ian Toon // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Ben Arfa will collect the plaudits for his goal but others played very well. Santon had a very solid match both defensively and in attack.

The stats reveal that Santon won all three tackles, won 75% of his ground duels (6/8), won 67% of his aerial duels (6/9), and also intercepted the ball on five occasions, the most from any Newcastle player. He pressed well with the majority of his defensive work further up the pitch.

With Marveaux cutting inside and Reither tracking him space was created for Santon to run into. It gave us much needed width, as it became too congested in the middle with Ben Arfa cutting in from the opposite wing.

Santon gained possession on the left flank with no opposition at times and was able to cross more often – 7 crosses from open play, only second to Ben Arfa.

I do agree with Lilongwe though that santon needs to work on his delivery.

Posters though should assess on actual performance and not preconceived views.

• 83 Felipe // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM

@jail 71
    I’m immune to name calling so call me a troll if you wish.

I think it was seriously bad fortune coming up against Man City on the first day of the season and having our best player refuse to play only hours before the match. City took full advantage and knocked the stuffing out of us. We’ve slowly rebuilt our composure since then and after a nervous 120 minutes finished as I expect us to continue against Fulham. i.e. with cabaye and remy on the pitch. If Goofy had knocked that one in against West Ham in the last minute we’d be on 6 points now ;-)

• 84 count // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Right. Going to stay the fu<k away from this blog today. Really can't be arsed with all the twisting and moaning.

Oh and to whomever the tw@t that tried to take the piss out of me for saying that we were heading for world war three a couple of months ago. Lucky for you that our parliament did something decent for a change and voted against it (for now), Eh?
    You weren't aware of the brewing situation because you spend all day on here pathetically trying to prove what a big man you are through the quality of your football knowledge. It's fu<king sad.

I mean it's not like there was a presence of Russian and US warships in the area, both taking different sides, is it?
    And it's not like half the people on here sound like spoilt children twittering on about sh!t is it?

• 85 noir9 // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Sky bloke at Man U reckons he’s been told they have no interest in Ozil, hopefully arsenal get him & forget cabaye. Guess there’s still psg.

• 86 count // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Cue the wrong people getting all uppity at me.

• 87 theartfuldodger // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

G Unit
    To be fair, no one has gone in for Ince.

Felipe,
    You are justifying Ashleys thinking which we arent sure of cause he hasnt stated his ambitions in the last 3 years.
    If he succeeds its Ashleys plan. If he fails its Ashleys mistake and he will learn frm it. Ok … how many years ?
    The answer is – Either till he feels like or till he makes profit or till the gullible fans throw him out, whichever is shorter.

Also if he isnt sure, hire experienced successful people. Kinnear ?

Isnt it better to have 1 player extra than one less ?

Thump,
    Im not sure if yr being sarcastic , I meant we shdnt wait for the fall this time (AGAIN)

• 88 lesh // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM

G.unit @54.

It’s taken 64 days for Kinnear to realise what he’s supposed to be doing. He’s been a total waste of time and money.

Ah well, it’ll not be long before he swans off on a well-deserved holiday after such a hectic two months of strengthening the football side of things – for the benefit of other clubs!!

• 89 noir9 // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Hey count!
    Please could you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?

• 90 JARRAMAG // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM

JK has already stated that they are happy with the size of the squad and expect a top 10 finish at least,so bearing in mind that AP was at this meeting then he also agreed.

With the above statement i cannot understand any speculations about signings.

The only thing we could do is sell Cabaye in order for MA to recoup the £18 mill he was forced to spend in Jan to keep us up.

To all the people who think our squad is strong enough better hope we have no injuries to Cisse,Ben Arfa(will never play a full season),and Cabaye (if hes still here) because if we do we will sink like a stone.

God help us
    KTF

• 91 saxonfenken // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Beattie25
    Just who the hell do you think you are with this don’t talk to me nonsense. Self centered rubbish you and one or two others constantly doll out.
    You and they are not the Be all and end all of this blog.

• 92 ash1001 // Sep 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Common Guys, how much longer do we have to put up with all this crap from our beloved club. Its been said many times before, THEY ARE EXTRACTING THE URINE.

From the owner, to the DOF to the manager, its one big sales patter, some of Pardews statements are beyond belief, things like players are available to be subject to bids up to the deadline may indeed be true but hell there’s no need to blast away at it, saying we may get a late bid in, well only last week he was saying if we sold it would not me a last minute thing and a replacement would have to be lined up.

WE ARE THE SUCKERS,just look around and see what other clubs are doing with not so wealthy an owner never mind crowds like we get for every home game.

Personally I have just had about enough. and that’s after 60 years of following NUFC.

previous post: Here’s Proof That Newcastle Can Do Something Right