This Is Newcastle’s Net Spend This Year – It’s Not Much

Now that the summer transfer window is over we can look at what Newcastle spent in the transfer market this year, and compare it to what other Premier League clubs spent, but when you see what our net spend is maybe  we shouldn’t even bother with that comparison – we wont.

mike ashley looking at camera in white shirt

Mike Ashley – must loosen up the purse strings at Newcastle

Here are the players who have arrived since last September with their approximate cost in transfer fees or in the case of Remy in loan fees:

Mathieu Debuchy –  £5.5M
Moussa Sissoko –  £2M
Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – £6.5M
Yoan Gouffran – £1.5
Massadio Haidara – £2M
Kevin Mbabu – £0.75M
Olivier Kemen – £0.25M
Loic Remy – £2M loan fee

So the total cost of bringing those players in is about £20.5M.

And these are the players we have lost, one in January and three this summer:

Demba Ba – £7M
James Perch – £1M
Danny Simpson – free agent
Steve Harper – free agent

So that looks like we got £8M back in – so it looks to us, if the estimates for the transfers are fairly accurate, a total net spend of £12.5M by Newcastle this year.

That’s not very much   – and not even as much as our profit will be this year, and remember the average increase of revenue from the Premier League because of the new mammoth three year TV deal is £25M.

There’s  some food for thought,  because we made  a profit in the last financial year,  and we’ll get at least  £25M more from the PL,  and then we will have  increased revenues from the new Wonga deal –  and that should translate to pure profit,  if our costs remain the same.

Very interesting.

And to use some of the old consulting jargon:

Findings – Newcastle did not spend much this year

Conclusion – Newcastle need to spend more and can do so because of  our increased profits

Recommendation – Newcastle need to spend a lot more

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• John Tudor

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM

go ed knock theesen out concussion indeed

• John Tudor

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM

yes newcastle not the fc

• Beattie25

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Ibiza

”But which half should shut up and which side should just listen?”

The ones who do not listen are the ones that never question their beliefs. These are the people that put their fingers in their ears and go la la la la la la la la.

The ones who should shut up are the ones that always try to change the beliefs of others. These are the ones that shout louder and louder when the others put their fingers in their ears.

I think everyone should always question their beliefs and let them grow organically.

I also think that the beliefs should never be forced onto people with any sort of aggression.

Whether we are right or wrong is not the point. It’s not about being right or wrong, in this case I think it’s about wanting to be better fans and supporters of the club and about making the club on the whole better.

The only way to do this is to shut up shouting your objections and stop being ignorant to others and listen.

• John Tudor

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

de ja vu

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Missing an “l” or an “s” Ed? 🙂

Quite frankly, I don’t care how much we spend at the end of the day.

When I think back to Alan Shearer, do I think, at the time he was a record transfer fee or do I think of the impact and dedication he gave to the toon?

Another example of fee not mattering is Cisse and Ba. One was a free and one was £9m…both had a great impact on the team.

I just want to see club continue to address the areas of our team that need it. If they can do that and turn a profit…fair play, couldn’t be happier.

• Rainrix

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Hm, it’s almost like ashley isn’t bothered in the slightest about the club. That cant be right can it?

• Bleemo

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

There is little to no doubt that Mike is just keeping things ticking over at this stage and till a new buyer comes in and he can go off and buy Rangers.

I wouldn’t mind if he had just say brought in Lukkaku or Scott Sinclair on loan. He doesn’t need to be much more ambitious to guarentee us the sorts of spots teams like Fulham and Everton have been enjoying these last 4-5 seasons i.e. 6th-12th and a decent cup run.

• BandB

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Coach,

I was in the process of praising a long post from you yesterday morning when I spilled coffee on my keyboard and wrecked it.
    It was a good post.
    I guess I am one of those who should know who I am, and you are right, I will miss things. I also hope to be back one day.
    We all must follow our conscience and our feelings. There is no right and wrong.
    I don’t see football as a proxy for war, and I wouldn’t presume to think a “true fan” is someone who is just like me.
    I feel no negativity at all towards your choices.
    And I would love it if you were right too.
    I’m out until the loathing dies down and the scores are settled.

• veto

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM

we should always have 20-30 million to play with every season without player sales

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

TDS

Is spurs revenue 50% higher? I wouldn’t have guessed that but will take your word for it. I guessed we would be similar as other than one year spurs have only had prem league income not champs league. Europa league pays little, only worth an extra 4/5 mil to clubs who get to knock out rounds.

• Beattie25

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Just reading that Ginola is coming for Harpers testimonial.

If there was ever a cause to show what this club could be it’s this.

I would love the fans to turn up in non Wonga shirts, all retro, bring scalfs and for 90 minutes make this match like a European night of old, just to prove a point of what this club could be.

Then for the next match it is the graveyard it’s been as of late.

• Beattie25

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Very interesting:

pic.twitter.com/Q9CKCm0s70

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Sorry Beattie, I had my hands over my eyes, can you try that again?

I don’t disagree. We must always question in order to grow. I do feel it may be a bit late as far as Ashley is concerned though. How do you get an open playing field? No one believes a word that comes from the club anymore.

I think too many people want him out and their are so many people that fear what will happen next.

Really stupid PR imo. Cutting of all communication has alienated so many people and left them to come to their own conclusions. The only time I think that would be wise is if you’re up to worse stuff than people will think up.

Anyway, do you know if any minutes or reports will be made available from these fan meets tonight and / or tomorrow?

• bobby mango

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Bleemo – well said.

So many viable options, for relatively little. Especially those mentioned loans, who certainly would “threatened the first team”

It’s a complete false economy to not sign those players. I haven’t heard one person give a reasonable argument, even a theoretical one.

Mind baffles to what he’s playing at. Because even with the idea the club is about to be sold it makes more sense to sell a team that aren’t threatened by relegation.

Not saying we will relegation material but it’s much more likely with the absence of 2/3 vital players. Just can’t see Cisse getting goals these days.

• 89Norcal

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Beattie25 // Sep 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

“. . .stop being ignorant to others and listen.”
    ______________

Well to Hell with that! 🙂

• Beattie25

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Ibiza

They’ll be all over Twitter and in turn over this blog.

There is a poster on here called richyg who literally links all related (and unrelated) news so look out for him.

I think he put a link for the Miley Cyrus VMA performance last week. Can’t understand why Ed didn’t open a new thread for that?!

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Rainrix..Don’t be silly. Can’t be that. Back to the drawing board.

Beattie…As a snapshot, that doesn’t look good. It is interesting to see Arsenal and Everton with us in the bottom 3 mind. I’m tempted to point out that we were also relegated in that time and I would guess that sales etc would have supplemented some extra cost, plus there was that ridiculous AC money in there too, so perhaps it’s not really a decent snapshot…damn it, temptation got the better of me.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Beattie

That goes to show how good the business arsenal and Tottenham do is. Arsenal also had a minus value but still competitive in champions league (although not won anything have made finals) and spurs went from basic top ten side to pushing for champions league consistently with a net spend of 1mil a year.

It shows that sensible buying, although might not win titles, can at least bring consistent good football and lots of good players.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Beattie…Sorry, who does “they” refer to?

See what happens when you show me some figures, I’ve gone all confused now.

Miley did a VMA performance last week? Man, I thought missing out on some new players was bad. Can’t wait for this year to be over with already.

• Tinman

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Was watching Lifes a Pitch the other night on BT sport, can’t remember what the journalist was called but he made the point about Lukaku. Even if very minimal funds were made available the Lukaku loan deal still could have got done. He would have been ideal for us this season at a cheap price.

• Beattie25

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

89norcal

I’ll listen to to those that will listen to me, regardless of if their opinion and my own are compatible. There was a time where me and Ibiza would disagree lots but we maintained a good (online) relationship through that.

If people chose to be ignorant or rude then until recently they would have received that back from me in equal measure.

However now I am politely asking for some people not to speak to me because I think they are either trolls, intentionally argumentative or just plain ridiculous. Such is the case for Sir Braveheart and the likes.

But you can still talk to me of course….for now.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

TS

NUFC revenue to June 2012 was £93M
    Spurs revenue to June 2012 was £144M

So their wage bill can also be 50% higher…and is…

Huge gap sadly. One that we’d need to work damn hard to close.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

TS…Good call, shouldn’t have missed our Spurs in that 4th from bottom place.

I have always said I don’t have a problem with Ashleys “model” or “plan” it’s just the way they carry it out. Which leads me to think it’s either incompetence or it’s not the real plan at all. I then start thinking that Ashley may not be a footballing man, but he isn’t stupid and incompetence wouldn’t be allowed to keep going on like this…so…ermm…yeah.

• 89Norcal

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Tinman

Any idea what the possible wage figures/competition looked like for Lukaku? Seems strange we were linked (or maybe not).

In the end Everton likely seemed a more attractive destination than Newcastle atm.

• Beattie25

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Ibiza

Can ‘they’ll’ be referred to when talking in conjunction with words from meetings or is the term solely applicable to people?!

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

out* not our…not the time to be dropping those sort of mistakes on the blog…

• fatman

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

those that are thinking anonymous to attack Ashly keep away from deepnet as you could get involved in something you regret, Ashley has broken more laws than some serving convicts, but when you are as wealthy as Ashley, the laws no longer apply to you. and also don’t go telling people that you don’t care how many times someone s***s on you, and you come back for more, as that’s exactly what you will get, one thing holding Ashley back is the fear of the one nut that might take it personal what he’s doing at the club and fear can be a good tool, as long as you never use it.

• LEROI

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Here’s a list of unattached players that M.A & JFK maybe considering.

FORWARDS
    Adriano,John Carew,Mladen Petric,Louis Saha,
    Aruna Dindane,Carlton Cole.
    MIDFIELDERS
    Michael Johnson,David Bentley,Simon Davies,
    DEFENDERS
    Anton Ferdinand,John Mensah,Chris Baird
    GOALKEEPERS
    Craig Gordon,Hilario Sampaio

• 89Norcal

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

@Beattie

Sounds like a good approach to me. And you get to keep your sanity after you’ve logged off 🙂 I try and be level headed but I’m sure I’ve slipped up a few times.

We could use more of that around here.

• Tinman

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Ibiza, you mention there is a meeting tonight and tomorrow? Or are you unsure of which day the meeting is? Or are they meetings involving different fan groups?

If you were unsure then I can clear it up with this, taken from Mike Ashley Out Campaign facebook page:

A reminder that if you wish to attend the MaoC meeting this Thursday at the Percy Arms, Percy Street from 7.30 pm. please let us know in advance. Either message us here on Facebook or E-Mail us at maoc@hotmail.co.uk.
    If you are unable to make the meeting but have ideas for protests please again message us before Thursday evening.

We are NOT debating whether we should protest, but what form the action WILL take.

We will not have T Shirts for sale unless it is pre-arranged.

Thanks again for your continued support.
    MaoC

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

TDS

Any figures for spurs any other years? That was their champions league year so figures will be inflated by the fact they will have brought in champions league money during the financial year for the previous season.

Be interesting to see what it was the year before and after.

• Coach

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

B&B @9
    If you’re at all like me, you’ll be back. I’m 62 years old and have tried to walk away more often than I can count.

Absence really does makes the heart grow fonder.

• 89Norcal

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Adriano is a free agent (again?)? Well there’s the answer to all our problems right there!

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Beattie…”They” certainly can, I just lost track of which discussion we were having 🙂

“we maintained a good (online) relationship through that”

Do one ya tw@ 😉

• Tinman

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

89Norcal,

Sorry mate I have little idea of the figures involved. I bet they are less than the Remy deal though. Also he was with West Brom as well and I can’t imagine they have huge amounts of cash to splash.
    Was simply using Lukaku as an example of what we should / could have been looking at this window if funds were too tight to go and buy a striker of that calibre.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

fatman

would never do anything criminal myself or incite it, just joking on…but annonymous have taken on bigger and badder people than fat mike

• cyprus

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Beattie25,
    What’s going on man? You used to be the most abrasive, belligerent poster on here and now you preach peace? Did you find true love, settle down?

Just kidding. Always enjoyed your unbridled passion and intelligent posts. But, drop the church analogy please, seen it too many times.

• Beattie25

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Tinman

Can you raise the point that NUFC fans are all over the world and perhaps setting up an email account as an ideas bank for all and sundry could be a good idea so that people from Peru to Hong Kong and everywhere in-between can be actively involved every step of the way.

It’s probably an idea that will be immediately thought off but just in case.

• davo85

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Unfortunately I do believe everyone really needs detach themselves from NUFC for this weekend at least. We have all been here before and understand what supporting NUFC takes under this regime takes, we will be dictated too at every turn so expect no different. Our squad albeit average is actually stronger and pending injuries and no euro commitments should be able to make a mark on the EPL Don’t play into the doom and gloom as portrayed in the media as this is purely senstatalist media at is best. Who out of the ppl that we’re linked with NUFC could of made a difference to this squad??? Bent, Gomis, Ba – we are no worse off without these players! Let the situation run its course and you will see will finish mid table, however with $20m spent we could of finished 6th… Wow!

1 2 3 5