This Is The Real Problem We Have At Newcastle

Joe Kinnear has received severe criticism ever since he arrived back at the club as the new Director of Football in mid-June, and essentially he replaced Derek LLambias, who rather quickly resigned, and Joe has responsibility for bringing in players at all levels of the club, but the consensus on how Joe has done this summer is hardly good – and it looks like he just didn’t convince Mike Ashley to pay out enough in transfer fees and/or wages so we could get a couple of decent players through the door.

mike ashley   -880074675

The Newcastle owner will not spend Newcastle’s money

The race to get Bafe Gomis turned out to be unsuccessful, and we have no idea why – but on rumor is that his agents wanted too much in fees, and the other one that came in during this last week of the transfer window was that Gomis himself was asking for too much money.

But whatever the reason –  it was that Newcastle were not willing to pay out the money that was necessary to get Gomis to Newcastle.

And with some of our other striker targets in the summer we were outbid by clubs like Swansea, Fulham, West Ham and Norwich among others, and we didn’t get those striker targets through the door.

So you could ask who’s fault is it that we didn’t get the players in,  and most of us put that responsibility at Joe’s door – because that’s his job.

But the man in charge at Newcastle is Mike Ashley and he is the real (the only) decision maker when it comes to how much money he will give out as far as transfer fees and wages are concerned – so if Mike was willing to pay out the money we would have been much more successful this summer –  but we weren’t – for the second summer running.

Newcastle are now in good shape financially, and that’s something good Mike Ahsley has done at Newcastle and was needed,  and Derek LLambias always said that the profits  would be pumped straight back into the club.

So the problem we have is not that we want Mike Ashley to invest more of his money into the club, but he must now be willing to spend the money the club are generating as a business.

Most clubs were willing to spend the £60M to £100M they will get next May after the Premier League finishes this summer,  and until they get that money they would presumably borrow it for nine months.

But seemingly not Mike Ashley.

From what we can see the real challenge is how to now get Mike Ashley to spend the club’s money, and don’t forget we are the 20th richest club in the world based on revenues, and we also made a profit in the last financial year.

So how clubs like West Ham, Fulham, Norwich and Swansea can outbid us for players is alarming.

Joe is not a good Director of Football,  but he is only as good as the owner lets him be – and by the amount of money Mike Ashley allows Joe to spend.

It’s just another way of looking at the problem we have at Newcastle at the moment – how to get Ashley to spend money the club now has.

And the bottom line is always that we need to think and act like a top four club, and maybe we will  become one. 😀

That’s not happening at Newcastle at the moment, and until it does, we will continue to have our fans be very  unhappy and frustrated, as they are now – but not only that –  we’ll continue to see our best players wanting to leave for more ambitious clubs.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Geordiedoonsooth

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I don’t post on here much these days as I feel there are too many doom & gloom merchants. While I think Ashley should leave ASAP I just hope it will be to someone who really wants to invest in the team and make us a major player. On the subject of transfers I didn’t expect many coming in this summer as he bought in January. I did expect that we would sign a top striker apart from Remey as I think the 3 games this season and the last few of last season showed that we are very lightweight in that area. On the whole though I think I would rather have done the business that we did than bring in the 14 players that S*nderland did I think our squad is much stronger than theirs they have proved that buying loads of mediocre players won’t work. I think we will finish around 10th in the league and thats as much as we can hope for with Ashley and that idiot Kinnear at the club. I don’t really rate Pardew but I do feel sorry for him.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM

From previous thread .

With Pardew – 11th-17th

With a decent manager – top 8

• Beattie25

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM

mr magpie

It’s combination of all the presented options and more.

The team we have amassed is (on paper) a team that could smash many others.

History suggests otherwise.

We struggle to score goals, are seemingly unable to put games to bed and time and time again are outplayed and beaten convincingly.

The squad seems to have a poor mindset and many seem to be confidence players. If one has an off day, they all do. There is a lack of leadership on and off the field and the manager always does his best to ensure that all confidence is sapped before playing bigger clubs (see Man City away).

The team is always one step away from implosion. In my 21 years of following Newcastle I have never seen a team outplayed so regularly from weaker opposition.

If Morcambe was a one off I could accept it but it is a regular occurrence.

Did you know for example that in 100 PL games under Pardew we have conceded 3 goals or more in a match 22 times.

22 times!

That’s nearly a quarter of all games.

• hkToon

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Hi all, I’m a die hard NUFC fan in HK, long time reader in this blog.

I think the argue point is not whether the squad is stronger or weaker than last year, the concern is everyone can identified that we offer nothing go forward in the Left Hand Side but still failed to sort it!

• OhSholaAmeobi

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

From previous –

Clicked 7th to 10th to be optimistic, but i think somewhere around 13th. Only because Pardew has a bad habit of getting steadily worse at his clubs. At least the football hasn’t been as bad as it was this time last year so far.

Striker was a necessity so that we didn’t have to rely on Shola. Winger was a possibility to improve on our crossing (although our best winger is out on loan). Young centre back/right back was a luxury and always unlikely. Attempting to sign a 20 year old keeper was stupendous – give Jak Alnwick a chance.

Optimistic because we won’t get as many injuries touch wood, and overrall we are stronger than we started last season.

• John Tudor

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

its now rock ,paper, scissors

• John Tudor

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM

my opinion bottom 5 by christmas

• Slank

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Ed,

The real problem at Newcastle is a complete lack of success in winning trophies over the last 50 years.

Everything else is trivial.

• OhSholaAmeobi

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Could’ve been worse, could’ve been born a mackem.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Toonfan8

Wanyama might be decent but he’s just one player and in a position we really don’t need to strengthen. He could also turn out to be unable to adapt to the PL. I’d rather not replace a proven performer with a prospect to be perfectly honest. Although Tiote really needs to work out how to return to his form of 2011-12

• Markaccus

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Next couple of games are make or break with regard to our style and pardews tactics. He has had the same players since january now, and a break to get his head around everyones best positions. There is NO EXCUSE for not playing 433 at home in most games, and i think we should start with it away to the likes of Villa. The way we finnished agains Fulham should be the way we start against as many other teams as possible. (Obviously a little care must be shown against the big boys)

• SeanNufc87

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Is this now pardews longest stint at a club? Assuming he stays on all season?

• hkToon

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM

anyone know how much JFK being paid to work?

• Indian Magpie

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Alan Pardew “we would have won a lot of trophies, but we just couldn’t get the ball over the line”

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM

@ Beattie

“Did you know for example that in 100 PL games under Pardew we have conceded 3 goals or more in a match 22 times”

I knew a stat like that would be bad as we regularly get spanked under Pardew more than any other manager I can remember, but that is very worrying indeed .

Now when I am watching a game and I see us 2 or 3 goals down early in a match I switch off and take the dog for a walk as I know the match is already over and the pain of watching us get ripped apart is torture .

All this from a man who supposedly spends 4 days a week in training on defensive work . The guy is a total joke and I will never forgive him for these results :

5-0 Spurs
    7-3 Arsenal
    6-0 Liverpool at home
    3-0 Mackems at home

And those are just the obvious ones, feel free to add any.

• Greebol1892

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM

oh dear Ed, you’re churning these articles out too fast. I do think the LLambias LLeft it LLate to LLeave but LLeft a LLegacy for the LLong-term LLegions of fans, LLike. Imagine if we’d signed French goalie LLLoorrriiiiss….. ;-P

• Coach

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Beattie25@3
    I have to agree with you. You can compare squads man for man as much as you like but my biggest fear is that I can’t see where the goals are going to come from.

Yes, our first team looks good on paper but through last season, pre-season and the first four games this year, we have looked dangerous for about 20 minutes against Fulham. Even then, we scored once.

Maybe we are heading in the right direction, that’s my hope, even my wish, but it isn’t my belief. The evidence is that we don’t create chances and can’t even test the opposition goalkeeper.

If you can’t score, you don’t win matches. This is why it was critical that we brought in a seriously good striker and Kinnear failed to carry out that one key task.

If we finish 11th we will have done well in my opinion.

• lesh

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Here’s a nicely balanced assessment of our woeful performance, or should I have said Kinnear’s performance. Tactfully worded, the finger clearly points at Kinnear!

• veto

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM

just wish i knew where we stood .
    id be fine with no transfers for a cpl of years if we had a deadline for him getting his money back and putting the club on the market for 150ish million .
    trouble is we dont know what he’s doing , he could do the same thing as this summer for the next 10 years if he wished .
    thats a good little earner for any billionare

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM

No. The main issue with the club is COMMUNICATION. It’s really that simple

You know what, if Ashley came out with this quote below, I’d accept it, I’d respect it and I’d deal with it:

“When I bought Newcastle United, I did so with the best intentions as a fan of English football and the Premier League and with perfectly good intentions and ambitions for the club. However, the road to hell is paved with good intentions and due to mistakes made by me and my team in the early days, the bond between the owner and the fans seems to have been damaged beyond repair. This saddens me.

However, I bought the club to put it on a good financial footing and to bring some success back to Newcastle and I still want that for the fantastic fans and the historic club that is Newcastle United FC. My intention is to continue to run the club in a sensible and structured way, continue to make improvements where possible but also to place the club in a better position for a sale. As such, I will be using some profits from the club to reduce the debt that the club owes and therefore lowering the asking price for the club.

When a suitable offer comes in that is financially satisfactory to me and also comes from an owner with a plausible and sensible plan for the club, then I will sell up and hope that they can bring the club some success and the fan more joy.”

• hadthetshirt

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I love all this positive thinking top ten.
    I’m sorry to rain on the parade though,but I feel another relegation battle.We cant score goals,and ship too many against top teams.As for ashley not spending.Would you if you were called a fat basket, every week,have your daughter threatened,not too mention threats against himself.I’m damn sure I wouldn’t.I’m not sticking up for him.I’m just trying to understand how the bloke thinks.Blimey quite a few of you fight on here over nothing,would you spend money if you were called every week.NO. You would resort to calling people idiots or makems.We reap what we sow,and until he sells up were stuck with him.Did any one really honestly believe we would buy a new striker.pardew been banging on about 23 and how he scored loads of goals pre season.There’s your new striker.Gomis didn’t want to come.Again without your black n white goggles on.Would you come here under this lot NO.Lets hope we don’t get many injuries like we usually do,and pardew grows a pair and tells it like it is.I wont hold my breath on that.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM

For anyone that missed it

I promised I would do it, so here are the results of the 57 people who answered my survey on how we would do on the eve of the season:
    Position (average): 10.7
    Points (average): 50 – which would have got us 8th last year – shows how much you lot know! 🙂
    Players signed (average): 2.7
    Players sold (average): 2.3
    Top scorer: 73% Cisse, 24% Remy
    Top scorer goals (average): 15.3

League Cup:
    5.5% said we’d lose to Morecambe
    Only 37% think we’ll get to the Quarters
    9% think we’ll win it

FA Cup:
    Only 30% think we’ll reach the Quarters
    Only 3.7% think we’ll win it
    Most people (24%) predicted the 5th round

Pardew:
    40% think Pardew will be sacked this season
    The majority of those believe he will be sacked this year

If Pardew goes, the most likely candidates are:
    JFK – 35%
    Poyet – 26%
    Clark – 12%

So how would people feel if our season was like this?
    Pardew is NOT sacked
    We finish 11th with 50 points (wow!)
    We get knocked out in the 4th round of the League Cup
    We get knocked out in the 5th round of the FA Cup
    We sign 2 players in January
    We sell 1 player in January
    Cisse is top scorer with 15 goals

That’s the overall average predicted season based on people’s views before the Man City game.

• lesh

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Ho hum. Sheffield United gets a new investor and I wonder whether he looked at us?

• Slank

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I’m curious as I cannot recall anyone suggesting players to buy who would be better and therefore replace our starting eleven, other than Kets but we dismissed all he said:

Krul
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Colo – Santon
    Sissoko – Tiote – Cabaye
    Ben Arfa – Cisse – Remy

I doubt the club would replace the players who arrived in the January window. Also I doubt they would replace Ben Arfa (as if there is anyone better). I don’t think they would replace Colo as they fought hard to keep him. Similarly with Krul as there aren’t too many top international keepers at his young age.

This just leaves Santon, Tiote, Cabaye and Cisse. So which players could we realistically gone for who were better than these four?

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM

TDS

good work man.

I predicted 10th so would be how i saw the season going. What I would say is that I feel with one signing, a better manager, we could be 7th.

• low fell mag

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM

What a refreshing change to be reading positive blogs from a man in Australia ( Sydney Toon ), than that bloke from Ireland ( RML)
    If you side with him or not, it was great to hear of him that he wishes he was in Newcastle rather than Sydney so he could get to St James Park to watch the Toon.
    Take note JFA, a real fan !

• Sir Braveheart

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM

The way I see it Ashley is trying to make his money back as quick as he can so he can go and buy Rangers.

He values the club at £250m plus the £100m in debts the club owes him, hence the price tag of £350m touted around. If he can recoup £20m each season over the next 5 seasons and sell the club for £250m he’ll walk away happy.

The bad news is this may mean 5 more years of this mid table obscurity. The only positive is each year the price of the club goes down as the debt is reduced. Maybe once the price drops under £300m someone may come in?

This is how I see things panning out, just a theory.

• nufc 11

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Why wait until end of the season for the cash to come in when we could be looking at relegation then ud see serious panic if fans stopped turning up to SJP cant remmber a home match with as little fans turning up as the fulham game maybe fans are just sick to death of MA regime.

• John Tudor

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM

5 years time we could be blue square

• lesh

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM

hkToon // Sep 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM – anyone know how much JFK being paid to work?

Too much!

If I were to be asked to give Kinnear an employment reference, it would include the following sentence:

‘You would be very fortunate to have him work for you’.

Just what has he brought to the party so far that’s of any value? Nowt, zilch!

He’s been a disruptive and unprofessional disaster and should be encouraged to continue his retirement at home, rather than at Newcastle United!

• Thump

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM

There is no one person to blame here. I’m sure we all remember the fire triangle from school: heat, oxygen and fuel. Put them together and you have a fire.

At Newcastle, we have an incompetency triangle. Ashley, Kinnear and Pardew. Put them together and you have rabid incompetency.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

TS

I cleaned up the data but kept the original comments too. So at the end of the season we can see how everyone has done. Funny how some people predicted a lower finish that you but with more points!

It’s an interesting perspective anyway. And stops certain people from being able to hide when the season turns out to be very different from what they thought! 🙂

• cestriasteve

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I just dropped a note to the swissrambler to ask him to do an article on Ashley and the financial affairs at NUFC, he did one a while back which was very good.

• supershola

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

For everyone who wants pardew out… Who would replace him?

Which decent manager is going to want to come here and know they’ll have very little transfer funds and no say on who arrives. Not only that but having Joe as your so called boss. You have to be a yes man as well.

I think we have to be careful what we wish for cause pardew’s certainly better than joe kinnear.

I’m guessing under Ashley Pardew is the best we’re going to get.

• HullMag6

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

What is the obsession with Poyet?

He hasnt done anything Brighton backed him and where are they? Plus he’s poison dwarfs mate so possibly yet another yes man.

I’d rather pay more for someone who has more quality eg Hiddink

Otherwise id stick with Pardew

• John Tudor

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

i remember the bell and the bit of fluff who rang it
    ding dong

• Thump

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM

@HullMag: He beat us twice, I guess? That’s honestly the only reason I can think of.

• John Tudor

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM

joe sqaush

• sweendog

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM

HullMag6 .. agreed .. Lee Clark anyday over Poyet … Poyet has acheived nothing in Management.

• low fell mag

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM

In 5 years Pop we could be European Champions.