We Only Signed One – But He’s A Thoroughbred

Alan Pardew came out yesterday with a strangely positive statement that looked suspiciously like it had been written by his boss Joe Kinnear, but Joe wanted it put out in Alan’s name, in case fans might  think Joe  was looking for excuses for not getting the job done in the summer.

alan pardew in black suit

Alan Pardew – we have a thoroughbred in Loic Remy

We did get Loic Remy in, and although it is just a loan deal at the moment, the success scenario is that Remy scores  lots of goals for us by the end of the year, works well with Papiss Cisse, looks great in a Newcastle shirt, and he signs permanently for Newcastle in January,  much like Ben Arfa did in January of 2011, after he had arrived for a season long loan deal from Marseilles.

And it seems that in anticipation of maybe not bringing in another striker before Monday night, Alan Pardew praised Loic to the hilt, after the fantastic 1-0 win on Saturday against Fulham, when the manager said this:.

“Remy is a thoroughbred. You can tell he’s a proper player.” “He looks the part and carries himself well.” “The players have taken to him, and he’s a good guy.”  “We’re lucky to have him.”

We wonder what players think about being compared to a horse?

Just a thought.

But we do think Loic is an excellent player, who is made to measure for Newcastle, and he also seems quite a character, and if his interview of a couple of days ago is anything to go by – he already loves it at Newcastle.

Now we have to hope nothing comes of that rape charge he  faces in November.

Comments welcome – but please keep them civil and a hint – it’s probably not good to start out a comment by telling another reader they are an idiot. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• numba9

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Ashley wouldn’t spend NEWCASTLES money there you have it greedy pig its also the clubs sky cash could have spent at least half the cash and show ambition and avoid bad feeling but oh no not him. His only permanent deal was to sign a dinosaur with the brain of a cabbage that’s why we are a laughing stock

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

TDS

appreciate the work you put into that, will be good to see how our season pans out

hope you can be smug at the end of the year as it means we have done well haah

• Slank

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Repost

Lesh @ 23

Reference the part new owners of Sheffield Utd from Wiki.

Saudi Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud …bought a 50% stake in United’s parent company ‘Blades Leisure Ltd’ for the fee of £1 with the promise of providing “substantial new capital” with the aim of returning the Blades to the Premier League as “quickly as possible”

I like the bit “substantial new capital” which possibly is not as good as ” I have invested £X millions”

• wolfshead@toon

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

right now i would be happy if we had got bent in as well and shola out

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Just s well we got him tied down on a permanent deal then Pardew………..Oh wait .

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM

TS

I only predicted 8th and I don’t think I’m being over optimistic. 8th would be decent enough but I agree that the potential is there to push the top 6 if we invested £15 or so into the playing squad this summer and if we had a manager who can get the best out of this squad.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM

slank

claims he wants them in prem league in 3 years

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM

“Comments welcome – but please keep them civil and a hint – it’s probably not good to start out a comment by telling another reader they are an idiot. 😀 ”

Good morning Idiots 😉

I’m still wound up by the obvious bs of the summer from Ashley and Kinnear. I don’t know whether Pardew knew anyone would be coming or not, but I think it’s clear he wanted players so I’ll give him the benefit of doubt (mainly as I don’t think his position in the whole transfer side of things matters too much…if he goes, he’ll be replaced with a like for like).

I am waiting to see what comes from these fan meets this week. If there is something constructive that could bring some success I would suggest we listen, if not, what to do next?

I can see the sense in what a lot are saying, everything that could go wrong last year pretty much did and you would like to think this year will be better…although it is a gamble.

Adding Remy to the squad, even if only on loan, should improve the balance within the team, as shown against Fulham…once again though, we’re banking on a player staying fit.

Are we stronger than the beginning of last season? There are genuine arguments for either side, I would say it’s not an overwhelming difference and compromises have been made. Funnily enough, Catchy got it spot on for me. In some areas we’re stronger, in other areas weaker and some about the same.

• Mr Magpie

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Beattie25@47
    I agree mindset appears to be an issue as does confidence. Our lack of creativity is concerning but with a more attacking philosophy & formation i think we will give teams more problems. Our defense is at times worrying to say the least but if we were to keep possession better by playing a passing game as opposed to long balls & waiting to be attacked this would surely improve. I would also agree that this is down to a coaching issue but who would want to come in to replace pardew with the current situation at the club, any ideas?

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Ibizatoon

Which areas are we weaker on?

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

TDS

I think 8th is fair enough, i just think pardew will have the odd cock up which costs us points.

But looking at teams i think 7-15th will be very tight on points.

• Slank

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Sage

They are just above the relegation zone in the second division!!!

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM

TS

Maybe…

To be honest, I think our season will hinge on injuries to key players, especially in attack.. We struggled to create chances without Ben Arfa and Cabaye last season. Now we have Sissoko, Goofy and Remy too so that’s better.

My key concern is the number of goal threats. We need several on the pitch at the same time so the opposition can’t focus on just one player. If we have Cisse, Remy, Ben Arfa and Cabaye playing most games then I think we’ll be fine.

• martoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM

You can argue about whether the quad is stronger or weaker but we lack cover for certain players – a long term injury to Colo, HBA and to a lesser extent Krul & Cisse and we are knackered.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

slank

will be difficult then, not impossible but will be hard

• JP...from The Rock

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I’d be more interested in getting Remy on a permanent deal than us signing Gomis tbh. Remy is class and in his short cameo he already showed us as he provided HBA with the assist.

Remy offers our attack a new dimension and we will look all better for it. It just peeves me that Joke Kinnear did not make the loan with option to buy! Ridiculous and clearly out of his depth.

Remy will work well with HBA and Cisse and the former already have an understanding forming.

It bodes well IF he stays fit and if we would have added or do actually add to this squad of players in January we will become the team we all crave.

The problem is I have huge doubts over Ashley and Kinnear.

Pardew is a decent manager, not great but has been through this before at Newcastle and I don’t think many managers could take the shite Ashley and his sidekick have given him and carry on doing their job.

Pardew’s main weakness is showing the opposition way too much respect in all games instead of attacking them from the off. That and sticking with Gutierrez and Strolla Ameobi.

He changes that part of him and we could easily climb the table to top 10 and beyond.

• doonundertoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

REPOST

was kinda hopeing JFK was gonna do some harry redknapesc deadline day magic work but that was just a fools dream i guess..

people are overlooking the blatant fact that mike ashely has and always will be a shrewd business man, which unfortunately makes him a bad chairman for a passionate football club, im fairly sure he is playing the fans, but not in the way everyone is implying.. I honestly think he has got a taste for bargain shopping in january, players are valued much much less when they are on the last 6 months of their contract, and the difference between paying 5 million and paying 3 million is probably viewed as a very satisfying victory for someone who likes to flip businesses for profit as ashley does, we have now become victims of our own success in january windows.. i think pardew knew all along that this was the plan, and JFK was just brought in as the scapegoat because i dont think he gives a shit, judging by his swearing in radio interviews and other faux-pas, its quite clear he doesn’t give a shit what people think, he is the perfect foil for ashleys plans if you ask me.. just a theory, but all this cockney mafia shit is just stupid excuses made up by morons to try and justify their anger..

i personally have no problems with this, as getting quality players on the cheap is always a good thing, but not strengthening the squad, by even buying talented youth as cover, is probably going to be a major oversite, as we have a terribly injury prone squad, and a history of bad treatment of injurys over the years, and the second the injurys start, we will be in dire straights, JFK will be the scapegoat, he will get sacked, and he wont care because this would have all been pre discussed in the meeting that took place upon his appointment, he will pocket his payout, and most of the blame, ashley will spend in january to rectify the situation, and most of us moron fans will be oblivious to what actually went on

you heard it here first

• blew

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Ed
    Are you telling us JFK is capable of writing
    a statement? The mere suggestion lacks
    credibility.
    The big disappointment about the transfer
    window is the insulting attitude of the club
    towards the fans. Why has Pardew regularly been
    saying a player will be bought, or on occasions
    2 or 3 could be coming in.? When in fact he knew
    all along our quota was completed in January.
    JFK was reportedly scouting players, as stated by AP,
    when he was not. More likely in hiding on Ashley’s
    yacht until the window closed.
    Pathetic.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Mutiny…As I said, it’s not an overwhelming difference as far as I am concerned.

On paper the argument would lean towards us improving, however the reality to date would not.

On paper Debuchy is better than Simpson. So far, I have not been that impressed at all. I think this is mainly down to him needing time to adjust etc, but at the moment I would probably say we’re weaker at RB than the beginning of last season. Something I never thought would be the case last January.

I want to say we’re a little weaker up front, but Remy came in, he can count as a ST, so it’s probably around the same as he’s the Ba replacement.

I think the differences are fairly minimal at this stage.

This obviously doesn’t factor in youth players making the step up, but to be fair, I went with that thinking last season. I’m going to wait for them to impress first before considering them good squad depth.

I think we should be okay, injuries permitting.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM

JP

exactly…get remy done in january

then look for a good striker, a goal scoring midfielder and a wide player like ince.

• Slank

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Sage,

I will keep an eye on them to see what happens.

I bet there were some interesting but short conversations in some of the local pubs.

‘An Arab billionaire has bought our club’
    ‘Really, how much did he pay?’
    ‘A pound’
    ‘Only a pound?’
    ‘Yeh, says he will put more in later’
    ‘What, two pounds!’
    ‘Another pint barman please’

• cyprus

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Ed,
    “after the fantastic 1-0 win on Saturday against Fulham”. Maybe you have a short memory.

The last 15′ were pretty good, the rest was same old. If that wonder goal hadn’t come we would’ve probably been looking at another 0-0 bore.

Anyway, I’ll cling to that glimmer of hope.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

slank

also a bit weird he buys a day after the transfer window closes and then promises money haha

• fatman

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM

An interesting article on the mag about takeover, there are a few signs something is going on, the painting of the Gallogate roof, all the new signs, plus its so quiet in financial circles, very little speculation, i was told months ago that Ashley had an exit strategy, club assets have been sold, the 10% holding in Rangers, i was told that Ashley wanted £265m including his loan, he wants out now, before he did not, he’s worked out rangers would be cheaper for his advertising, as the cost’s involved are smaller to get into the champions league, a good bet when its a two horse race. i think we are close to him leaving, it might be less than the 3 years i was told, i have a feeling its months away, if not weeks.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Cyprus…Not sure I agree with that assessment of the Fulham game. I agree that the last 15 or so were much better than the rest of the game, but even the first half was a vast improvement on what we saw the first two games of this season and most of last season.

The intent was there imo, it clicked when Remy came on.

Obviously I agree that without Bennys wonder goal it would have been a draw, but certainly not a bore and nor would it have been reflective of the performance…the whole one, not just the final 15.

I’d say given the dour showings we’ve put up with and the complete lack of confidence in the players and manager, that Fulham game should give us all some hope.

Of course, they have to continue it before we get carried away. Bring on Villa.

• richyg01

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

SACK THE BOARD

• DokToon

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

gmorning fellow idiots…

idiot has 5 letters, so does ibiza, coincedence? 🙂 *jk ibiza)

i will say this, the last 15′ v fulham, when remy and cabaye came on, we looked like a different team, and did lead to the winner… be interested to see if they can sustain that pace for 90’… but i am the optimistic type, so id think it can, and will happen….

ibiza, you say “on paper”, well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and being better”on paper” leads us to relegation…. weve got to pray weve no injuries this year…

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

fatman…If true, my first reaction is of joy…it’s all about who buys the club though.

I know most will say it can’t get worse, but we know that’s not true at the end of the day.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

fatman

prem league gets so much more world wide advertising than champs league does…especially seeing as scottish clubs dont often get into the group stage, pretty much 50/50 getting through qualifier.

• Slank

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM

fatman @ 24

There’s this Arab bloke down in Sheffield who might have a few bob to spare should he wish to buy the club from Ashley. He has already splashed out £1 so I’m sure he can splash out a bit more.

• Themesh

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM

“were lucky to have him”

so we bring in 1 player just on loan, and were lucky to even have that? this club man!!!!!!!

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Dok….I don’t believe in coincidences….but I don’t get what you mean 😉

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that is a good thing at all…I am wary of the reality of our situation….”on paper” counts for nothing on the pitch…but that does swing both ways…anything can happen once that whistle blows.

As for whether we can keep it up for 90 mins (no, this is not a blue pill advert), I’d say that is quite possibly unrealistic, but to keep the intent there, chase the opposition down and get men forward when we attack over 90 minutes would be a dream come true…oh the simple things.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I’m not sure if this will appear properly. But when I was bored a couple of weeks ago, I put this together to compare squads. Did it with a couple of other teams too but they don’t fit. Just made a couple of changes. See what you think…

Newcastle Everton Villa
    Forward Remy Lukaku Agbonlahor
    Forward Goofy Naismith Kozak
    Forward Ameobi Kone Helenius

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM

slank

That’s what he bought it for, not what he spends. Think the incomings of shef utd wont be that high but costs will be big, i imagine there is debt. He has taken debt off somebody’s hands and given them 1 pound for it.

You wouldn’t pay 100mil for a club that was losing money and had a low income.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Arse. The spaces don’t appear…

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM

TDS…I think I will revert back to my earlier point about transfers etc, which was what I learned last season.

I get that on paper we have a decent squad, where they really messed up is with squad moral. It was noticeable. Everyone just seemed to go, well if the club don’t want to try and push on, why should we?

Whilst I’m sure the lads were happy to see the new players in January, it must have felt reactionary to them too…plus they were already deep in the sh*t.

I get we don’t have EL this season, but for a little more effort and intent, they could have really given the players, manager and fans a lift.

That’s where I think they’ve messed up mainly. That and this constant changing communication with the fans. We have money, we have no money. We need players, we don’t need players.

• magpieranger

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM

“Now we have to hope nothing comes of that rape charge he faces in November”

Even if he did it?

• Transfer Sage

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM

TDS

missed one crucial bit of info

pardew, martinez, lambert

• HamarMagpie

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

“We did get Loic Remy in, and although it is just a loan deal at the moment, the success scenario is that Remy scores lots of goals for us by the end of the year, works well with Papiss Cisse, looks great in a Newcastle shirt, and he signs permanently for Newcastle in January, much like Ben Arfa did in January of 2011, after he had arrived for a season long loan deal from Marseilles.”

Well, a big, big difference here Ed. With Ben Arfa we made sure to get a permanent deal clause. In this case Kinnear apprantly did not! Clever guy…

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

TDS…Try separating them with hyphens or full stops…or you could use a Catchy style comma ,,,

1 2 3 6