25 Man Newcastle Squad Named For Premier League

After the transfer window closes each summer every Premier League side has to name a 25 man squad that will represent the club in the league in the coming season, and at least eight of those named have to be home grown players.

Paul Dummett  Braga

Paul Dummmett – local lad named in 25 man squad

And Newcastle has just named the squad as follows (in alphabetical order),  and whether or not the players are home grown:

Ameobi, Shola (Yes)
Anita, Vurnon San Benito (No)
Ben Arfa, Hatem (No)
Cabaye, Yohan (No)
Cisse, Papiss Demba (No)
Coloccini, Fabricio (No)
Debuchy, Mathieu (No)
Dummett, Paul (Yes)
Elliot, Robert (Yes)
Gosling, Daniel (Yes)
Gouffran, Yoan (No)
Gutierrez, Jonas Manuel (No)
Krul, Timothy Michael (Yes)
Marveaux, Sylvain (No)
Obertan, Gabriel Antoine (No)
Remy, Loic (No)
Santon, Davide (No)
Sissoko, Moussa (No)
Tavernier, James Henry (Yes)
Taylor, Ryan Anthony (Yes)
Taylor, Steven Vincent (Yes)
Tiote, Cheik Ismael (No)
Williamson, Michael James (Yes)
Yanga Mbiwa, Mapou (No)

Notice the injured Ryan Taylor is also included in the squad.

Any player under 21 at the beginning of this year does not have to be named to the squad, so Sammy Ameobi is not in the list, even though he is now 21.

And we find  it interesting that James Tavernier has been named in the squad as he was  out on a month-long loan at Shrewsbury Town but he returned with a metatarsal injury.

We wonder if he would have been shipped out on a season long loan deal if he hadn’t received that injury,  like Shane Ferguson was shipped out to Birmingham to get first team playing time.

And home grown doesn’t mean the player has had to come through the Newcastle Academy and here’s the definition:

“A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday, or the end of the season during which he turns 21.”

Newcastle have nine home grown players in the squad, just one above the minimum required.

Changes can be made to the 25 man squad when the transfer window opens again in January, and we wonder if Newcastle will be active in the transfer market in January?

Our guess is that if we are getting by and not fighting relegation then Mike Ashley will again not spend any money – unless he really has to – like he did  last January to ensure we stay a Premier League side – where all the money is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Wiz

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Our squad is pretty must as it was last year, though of course a bit smaller. We were hardly surprising to the rest of the Premier League last year, and I don’t think the other teams are surprised at our failure to strengthen this year. Toon fans have been unsurprised as well, but they are not sanguine about it. There is a fair old head of steam right now for a serious supporter revolt – we’ve done it before, and so have other fans. It is seriously objectionable, and there are going to be serious objections. A few signings shortly before season ticket renewal is not going to cut the mustard, I think.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Having TDsarf as his assistant like Lord Percy in Blackadder is too good for Ashley.

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM

repost god knows why
    tds
    the only problem with your chit chat is we have a crap manager employed by ashley with a sh1t dof
    yes great first 15 squad, average being the rest. me i say
    no confidence

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM

hoggers oot

• fatman

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Ryan Taylor is out for most of the season lets just include anyone to make the squad look bigger

• Schwefelberg

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Ashley wants and gets the benefit of a decent country but feels no need to be decent himself.

He loves the Law of the Jungle as long as all the other animals are tied up.

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM

It amazes me how much shit TDS gets for offering a different viewpoint. I don’t agree with him on a lot of things but that’s not to say he’s wrong. Christ, I want everybody who is slightly more positive to prove the so called “doom mongers” or “neggers” (or whatever other tag has been shamelessly plastered onto our own supporters by our own supporters) us all wrong. I want this club to do well, just because I can’t see it happening under Ashley’s farcical regime doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM

TDsarf,
    We may have had players in that would have added ten points which would have reduced your precious debt.

• hkToon

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM

That’s the reason why we won’t get rid with Ameobi & Gosling UNLESS we buy some Home player…

Tom Ince please

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM

incompetence to the e nth degree and beyond
    wheres the sand pit

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM

glad you can jump to his defence and not jfa or mine

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM

anyhows its called freedom of speech

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

9 Home grown players

including, James tavernier and Ryan taylor FFS

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I constantly think everyone’s having a go at me – although you shouldn’t be giving TDSarf shit either!

Time for a name change I think. Any suggestions?

On a different note, does anyone know how the season tickets have sold this year?

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

in 2010-2011 season we had 16 HGP

likes of Routledge, Guthrie, Nolan, Barton, Simpson, best etc.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Thump,
    If you are going to put out your view point and not sit on the fence then expect to take criticism, I haven’t seen you jump to my defence and I’ve taken more shit than most on here.

• Schwefelberg

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Did you hear the story of another sports magnate who said: “There is a club in the North and you are not part of it.”

Maybe this sowed the seed of his hatred for Northerners.

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

poorly,…… bogof soon i hear

• Jamseyd24

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Next 3 Prem games, 1-Villa away 2-Hull home 3-Everton away. How many point do you think we will get from those 3 games?? Anyone??/

• jokinoot

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Ashley only wants a basic club with basic players ,basically the man has no ambition for this club I don’t expect anything more of the tw@t no Russian billionaire will buy, the last one in 2009 was never heard of again, so much for speculation another mid to low table achievement ,

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

nil to one maybe

• Rainrix

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM

TDS…. I’d say choose something overly manly like Rick Steel or Max Power

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM

4 points Minimum, Maximum 7. Would not be surprised with 9.

Everton are not as good as what they were last season.

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM

soothe sayer

• theartfuldodger

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Supershearer from previous threads, on
    What if you were Ashley

If I was in Ashleys place I would explain and defend everything I did (And I mean whatevr course I chose for nufc) and remove negativity instead of leaving things like a jigsaw puzzle to be solved by fans and devils advocates.
    I wouldnt leave that to pardew and kinnear and I would be open to questioning.

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM

@John Tudor: I’d love to offer something in your defence but I can’t understand 90% of your posts and when I can, I can’t figure out how they relate to the point of discussion.

@JFA: I’ve spoke up for you plenty, mate. If you go back a few days (maybe a week?) you’ll find the most recent. Even then, there’s a massive difference between you, generally a laid black, funny bloke, and TDS who has reached a point where pretty much anything he says gets picked at and turned into a massive slapfight. It wouldn’t be half as bad if a lot of what he says gets completely taken out of context and used against him.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM

John Tudor

That’s just your opinion, it’s not a fact.

I’d say we have an average manager employed by a businessman as an owner with a completely unproven and unprofessional DoF with around 15 very good players and the rest being unproven or fringe players. And I’d say that makes us better than at least half the teams in the PL. So what if Southampton signed a couple of players, some of their other players are championship standard. Same goes for Norwich and the rest too.

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

@theartfuldodger: In all honesty if I were Ashley I wouldn’t have done half of the things he’s done. I would love to meet the bloke, sit down with him and actually hear his reasoning for even half of what he’s done. We know a few things but for the most part, like you said, those answers come from discussions and we pick the simplest solution. While Occam’s Razor is a good way to draw an assumption, it’s a shit way of getting hard answers… which we’ll never get until he leaves the club and his past employees speak out (which hopefully they do).

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Maybe I should change my name instead…

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM

i dont care what you make from my statements to be honest
    the make sense to people who wish to read them
    as to yours i usually just pass them by

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM

TDS

Good Idea, I have changed mine too. 😉

• Schwefelberg

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Dodger

Excactly even I would have given Ashley a break if he had gone like this.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM

THUMP

MOOLAH, have you seen how much his wealth has increased since we came back in PL.

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM

sarf ….there you go trying to deride my opinion i never said anything about being fact sonny

• stan anderson

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM

3 points from that lot if we can score a goal.Full of confidence i am.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM

JfA

The funny thing about this “fence” is that I’m probably on it more than most people. Sadly there are several people on this blog who choose to jump off on one side or the other and then claim that they never even knew there was a fence, let alone that they were on the other side just last week…

If you believe the bullsh*t said about me, I think Ashley, Pardew and JFK are all great and I’m happy with staying in the PL as long as we keep making nice profits. Sometimes I feel that someone has tattooed “I luv Mike Ashley” on my forehead without me knowing…

• I-Am-Ahab

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Curtis good not on the list aye….

• Black and White with an army lol

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM

MA out, AP out, JFK out, Cabaye out

• croftus5678

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

o…k.. so back onto the topic 🙂

out of our homegrown there prob 3-4 i would say that are on par with our better players !

obv krull/dummett/elliott and i’d say gosling is worth a punt at keeping …..maybe saylor/raylor depending on my mood !

we need better quality home grown but we do have it coming through tbh in sammy/fergie/bigi/cambell ect

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

@Tudor: Good. No love lost, then.

@Himanshu: Haha, oh yeah, definitely. He’s made the best of a bad situation but the man is a literal psychopath. I mean, how can you continuously make poor decisions and anger an entire fanbase? It’s not like we’re a blue square club, a few thousand strong, we have a bloody sizeable worldwide fanbase and each and every one (even the ones that support him!) scrunch their nose at his decisions. Business is business but alienating the most important group of people in the modern game is just… well, mental.