Newcastle Youngster – I’m Not Leaving – I’ll Fight For My Place

We have very high hopes that 19 year-old Gael Bigirimana will make it big on Tyneside, and the defensive midiflder looked a very good young player last season, when he appeared 25 times for the Newcastle first team, after signing on for just £1M last summer.

Gael Bigirimana

Gael Bigirimana – in action at Morecambe

But with competition from Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko, Gosling and Anita in central midfield, it could be more difficult for the former Coventry player to get much playing time this season, especially since we will have far less games.

But one thing is certain, and that’s that Gael wants to stay on Tyenside and fight for his place, and of course he will only get better as he is developed by Newcastle.

This is what Gael said in the local papers today:

“People can say it’s best for me to go on loan, but I’m not going anywhere.” “I’m going to stay here. I’m going to be patient, and I’m going to work my socks off.”

“I showed last year that I didn’t look out of place in the big games. That’s not being big-headed. That’s how I feel I did.” “So I’m not going on loan. My target this season is to fight.”

“You never know how the season can change.” “Patience is the key. In football you’ve got to be patient. You’ve got to stay fit and keep working in training.”

Gael did play in the League Cup win at Morecambe last week, and he played the full 90 minutes and it seemed to us that Newcastle’s extra fitness – probably due to the skills of Faye Downey, allowed us to win fairly comfortably in the end 2-0.

But Morecambe were all over us in that first half, which was  just a little bit scary.

Gael talked about that game:

“It was just a really good feeling to get the win,” “It was a major win, and I’m really glad we got the three points.”  “It was tough. Those games are always tough, but thank God we’ve got through that round.”

“That was a good win the players and most importantly for the club.”  “You’ve just got to be focused. The first half was tough. They gave everything as they wanted to stay in the game as long as they could.”

“In the second half, they couldn’t keep that same energy. Once they started getting tired, that’s when we started showing our quality.” “If you give a good side space, they will use it really well.”

“They will use it to punish you.”

It’s a very good attitude Bigi has and he has confidence in his own abilities, which is also important for any player,  but we just hope he can get enough playing time at Newcastle this season.

If he doesn’t  play much by say  January,  maybe he should be sent out on loan to a Championship club.

The player is still young ,  but he needs first team games to develop into a top Newcastle player of  the future – hopefully.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Rotonda heights

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Under Pardew that headline’s probably true!

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Out of all our youth players, Bigi is by far the one I’ve got high hopes for. He’s 19 and has shown that he can push the first team. Christ, there’s lineups where I’d sooner see him start than Tioté.

Flicking through some old videos on YouTube… does anybody remember the last time we had a great cup run? No? Remember this interview? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

• jeff

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM

thump,poos or wees?

• Belfast

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

He needs to go out on loan.

Ferguson is doing well at Birmingham and looks a better player already, he’s looked really good in the last couple of international games.

• Toon Tang

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM

really good video this. its called ‘to mike ashley’

put it in your vision holes and see for yourself

• outsidethebox

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

TO ANYONE STILL CONFUSED…
    my take is mike bought nufc for about 150 mill plus 100 mill in loans that fred had hidden….mike hasn,t put any money in not a £1 …nufc now have a single loan of £140 mill which mike has to guarantee as owner ….mike wants to sell club so has to reduce debt which he can only do by reducing playing staff …..@14 players left or on loan….mike will take as much as he can from club and hopes to run as arsenal ie self funding ….no one in unless one out to balance books (jfk,s remit ) lambarse was told either fall on sword and dont talk to press and get payout or you will be sacked….SIMPLES…pardew has to make the best he can….unless he wants to resign i wouldn,t either

• Transfer Sage

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

it’s a good attitude from bigi but for his development he needs regular football and the club should really encourage him to get out on loan.

• G

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

@TS, fair comment mate, but I think he is ready to come on for the last 20 mins in games and get a run now. This lad is going places. I wouldn’t be to upset to see him starting, certainly in the cup games, but in the prem as well, once the injuries, suspensions, and dummy spits kick in.

• low fell mag

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Good player , looking forward to see the younger lads pushing on .Dunnett ,Sammy Gosling. Campbell.
    Hopefully we can gradually blend these lads into the first team.
    Some good young lads knocking on the door.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

G

Yeh thats true, i dont worry about him getting game time but in a central role he is behind cabaye, sissoko, anita, tiote and probably going off recent selection jonas.

I’d much rather him get 90 mins a week in the championship than 20 mins every other week with us.

• Our Toon

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

The loan is £130m and as someone has quite rightly stated that is the only investment made to the club, but £40m of that loan wasn’t for debts etc it was the hit we took from relegation that season. Through mismanagement Ashley has already lost £40m hence spending in Jan with the money left over from Carroll deal, he still has loose change left on that as well.

This guy doesn’t care about Newcastle but sports direct has grown very quickly n other emerging markets which is why he bought the toon…..the perfect marketing tool. Some on here still think he’s a good owner….yes for SD he is but for us it is bloody useless mismanagement which gets him and SD in papers meaning more free advertising for brand SD!! Boycott!!

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM

@jeff: I’d probably go for wee. I could move to Germany and be a popular late night television personality.

@outsidethebox: Interesting but it’s well publicised that Ashley has loaned the club money secured against TV fees. Whether those loans are transfer fees or operating expenditure, we’ll probably never know. He also had to put money in for old transfers that were still unpaid plus operating costs in the Championship etc. Also, FFS couldn’t have hidden any loans (from him to the club, I mean) as the club was floated on the stock market and Ashley bought the shares from the board with FFS and SJH being the majority shareholders. Now he could have hidden loans from the bank but I don’t think there was ever any active denial of that. The finances that are available online is proof of this.

• toon1707

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Anybody else notice he says it was really good to get the 3 points I thought the cup was a knockout competition lol

• JackButler

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I’ve always been impressed with Biggie and hope he can go on to become an intergeral part of this squad, he’s got a great attitude and looks to be a natural fighter

• outsidethebox

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

thump
    Whether those loans are transfer fees or operating expenditure, we’ll probably never know(take a wild guess ). He also had to put money in for old transfers that were still unpaid plus operating costs in the Championship etc. …he is only guaranteeing loan its not his money .. …he didn,t put it in as to reason why debt is now £140 mill..where is all money from sports direct advertising …why isn,t sports direct on shirts ? believe what you like ..i know what my view is and i wont buy at sports direct ..support the team….. if you have to protest do it against mike not nufc

• Transfer Sage

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

jack

Same, I really like the lad. Good attitude and work ethic (from what i see on the pitch and his comments). I just think a full season, playing an important role in a team, he would benefit more than the odd cameo for us.

• james589

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Bigi is a good player, one of our brightest youth prospects for sure. Although someone should tell him that you don’t get 3 points for winning a cup game…

• Transfer Sage

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM

outside

Really shocked he hasn’t tried to get sports direct on shirts….you know how some european clubs do with front and back sponsors…would have thought he’d have tried to get that into some deal.

• kira13th

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

We should keep him…I think he can be good player

• Ben3arfa

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM

SIGN THE PETITION !!!

Petitioning Mike Ashley

Mike Ashley: Sell Newcastle United Football Club.

• outsidethebox

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

thump…
    it was well publicised at the time of takeover that ashley hadn,t realised that the loans were as large ..he complained to fred about this and was told it was his fault as he hadn,t done due diligence properly …yes i was shareholder ..out of interest .as well as being a financial expert were you ?.

• Belfast

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Oh I’m sure the sports direct logo will find there way on to our shirts at some stage. I was surprised he didn’t try and put them on the Rangers shirts this season tbh

• A monkey is better then Pardew

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

In response to that article a about Newcastle expectations being low and being a surprised side…

Coming 17th will be a real surprise for me. We’d be lucky to achieve that.

• JackButler

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Transfer Sage

Yeah mate, any player that openly wants to fight for a place at this club is someone who I will always welcome and back with open arms.

When he stood in for Tiote he was really impressive and Tiote wasn’t missed which say’s a lot for such a young player who had only just made the step up to the Premier League

• JackButler

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Belfast

It’s only a matter of time with Rangers, the iconic ‘Ibrox Stadium’ will be changed before long as Ashley owns the naming rights plus the sponsorship rights to the club.

But I can’t see him getting away with it up there as he’s done down here

• Belfast

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

There was actually talk of Rangers re naming the stadium a while back Butler. Don’t think it would go down to well if it was re named the sports direct arena lol

• fatman

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

outsidethebox

Sport
    Football

Ashley ‘to sell’ Newcastle share

Share 0
    inShare0

Simon Burnton
    The Guardian, Tuesday 21 August 2007

Just two months after he completed a deal to buy the club, Mike Ashley is rumoured to be considering an offer to sell Newcastle United, with reports in Iceland yesterday suggesting that they could soon become the second Premier League club to fall under Icelandic control.

The daily Morgunsbladid newspaper reported that Jon Asgeir Johannesson and Palmi Haraldsson had already started negotiations with Ashley over a deal to buy “a large share” in the club, with a price of £135m mentioned. Ashley spent £133m to buy the club in June, and invested a further £30m last week to refinance some of Newcastle’s £80m debt.

Johannesson is CEO of the Baugur Group, a company that started in 1989 when he and his father opened a supermarket in Reykjavik. He has already bought one British institution, having taken control of the London toy shop Hamleys in a £59m deal four years ago.

In 2004 he bought the Big Food Group whose brands, fittingly, include the supermarket chain Iceland, in a joint deal with Haraldsson’s investment vehicle, Fons Eignarhaldsfelag, which usually specialises in property and travel. The two have been friends for over 20 years. Asked about the rumours, Haraldsson was noncommittal. “Newcastle is a great club with a great manager,” he said, “and I have been a fan for a long time.”

Earlier this month Chris Mort, who took over as Newcastle’s chairman in July, insisted that Ashley was not planning a rapid resale. “The plan is to develop [the club] over a lengthy period of time, not turn things around quickly and sell it on again,” he said. “We are here for the long term.”

West Ham United were bought by a consortium led by the Icelandic banker Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson last year.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Nice to read some support from Harley earlier while I was getting some work done!

I guess that’s one reason it would be interesting to have a vote up/down option on the blog. One person trying to shout someone down doesn’t counteract an equally passionate fan who doesn’t have the time or inclination to jump into the discussion.

I just wish that some of those with more extreme views would realise that it doesn’t matter how much you shout your opinion and insult others who disagree, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re right!

• JackButler

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

ToonDarnSarf

This blog isn’t about voting post’s up or down, it’s simply about people expressing their views/opinions on the club that they love and not some points scroring system

• kizza

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

YOU LOT…
    MIKE ASHLEY IS NOT A BAD OWNER. WE HAVE KEPT OUR GOOD PLAYERS….HAVENT WE?

IS IT HIS FAULT THAT HE HAS INVESTED IN A QUALITY FIRST TEAM…BUT THEY CANT PERFORM TOGETHER?

Yes he could sack pardew….but he is informed that stabilty is a good thing. Its his money. Just support the players. Jeeeeuzzz

• Wiz

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM

outsidethebox – there are many things about Arsenal to admire, in particular the way they have declined to follow the plutocratic clubs in terms of wages. But they are not self-financing, even at the Emirates. It will take them a while to finance Ozil, for a start. Ashley has put in money to our club, but is getting it all back as a point of principle. He never loses money on any business venture. I think the loan in 2012 was down to £130m but it is bound to be below £100m now. It will take a long time for him to get it down to nothing, but he is going to sell shortly (logic tells me so, though I have no special information) to someone who will pay off his loan account. People who say it is a cash cow for him and why would he sell don’t focus on the terms of the sale Ashley will want. He will get all the money he wants, just quicker. He doesn’t like being the owner of Newcastle, and just wants to get out. There are better and faster ways of making money than owning a football club. In the meantime supporter protests will focus his mind.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

JackButler

I’m not suggesting it should be a points scoring system, though I appreciate that others might do.

I like the polls because everyone has a chance to answer them too, but I don’t think they always ask the questions that I want to ask.

As I don’t live in Newcastle any more, I don’t get to have regular chats with Toon fans in the pub or at work like I used to. So this is my main place to judge the mood.

My point is that it would be interesting to know what many readers think of posts that are made on here rather than just those who want to get involved in a discussion.

• yo-yo

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I hope Bigi makes if as he seems to have the right attitude and head screwed on.

There was talk of Ibrox being renamed recently but the Rangers Board troubles are the key problem just now as there is a power struggle and Mash has been very quiet about which side he is on.

I’m in favour of action to let the Owner know his custodianship of the club is strongly disapproved of by a substantial minority of fans – if not a majority.
    As I can’t get to SJP and will NEVER by from SD am out of it directly.
    My feeling is that IF attendances dropped to say 35,000 and possibly below 40,000 the alarm bells would be ringing. It only needs one or two games below that figure (the lower the better for one game) and there will be massive publicity for the cause of regime change.
    But it still won’t shift him till he’s good and ready. I’m not sure an oiligarch would be any better. What we need is a substantial % of the club owned by the fans – 10 % plus would be a good start but that cannot happen the way the business is configured right now.

I DO NOT believe fans who don’t support revolutionary action are traitors unlike Beattie – each to his own

• Wiz

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM

ToonDarnSarf is boring me now.

• fatman

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

outsidethebox

you cant hide debt if you knew anything about accountancy you would know that the accounts always shows debt if you hide it (commit fraud) you go to jail, is Freddie in jail, has he been banned from becoming a director, have you heard of a company called Enron.

its rather tiresome constantly repeating but you cant hide debt, you cant even talk someone into thinking you have no debt.
    I could spend 30 second looking at any companies books, to see what the current financial state of the company is. and as far as dew diligence goes its just to examine the books to see who owes what to home & any thing like guarantees, secured against loans.

• Rainrix

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

TDS….. There was a up vote down vote system a long while back. Obviously didn’t work out. I agree with JB it would turn into an annoying point scoring system of “haha i have 12 up votes you have 5, your argument is invalid” etc. To be fair this blog is bad enough for people trying to score points over each other each other as it is.

• JackButler

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

ToonDarnSarf

There are plenty of forums and blogs where that can be done and the data collated, this blog always has been and hopefully always will be about an individuals opinion. Whether others agree with it or not is dealt with by the interaction on here.

As for gauging the mood, that is also taken care of by the differing opinions you get on here

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Rainrix

You might be right. It would be frustrating if people used the vote to claim to be right. There is no right and wrong on most points on this blog, that’s the whole point of football!

I can be pretty confident that most people will say that Cisse is a better striker than Shola, but I bet you’ll find some deluded soul who thinks that Shola is actually better for some bizarre reason…

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM

@ kizza

Come off it man FFS, you must be the only NUFC fan in the world happy with Ashley here.

Yeas we kept our best players. So did Southampton, Norwich, Palace and others. Only difference is they spent money as well.

• ToonDarnSarf

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM

JackButler

I guess there’s no ideal system. It can be a little frustrating though when a balanced discussion turns crazy when a few people with fixed and more extreme views jump in and start using insults and false information. It isn’t fair on the rest of the people on the blog who want to read passionate but fair comments.

As for the mood, it’s obviously very divided! There are some very passionate people who are anti Ashley, Pardew and JFK and most fans are either dissatisfied or just unimpressed with the current situation. But I’ll still be very surprised if people manage to organise a concerted campaign against the owner.