Newcastle’s Squad Is Stronger – But It’s All Relative

70% of fans think the Newcatsle squad is stronger than last year at this time, but you cannot make the jump that therefore we should do better than we did last season in the league.

mike ashley smiling

Mike Ashley – needs to loosen up on the purse strings

Here’s the current results of the poll and please vote if you haven’t already done so.

Is The Newcastle Squad Stronger Than Last Year At This Time?

Loading ... Loading ...

There are a number of reasons for that, and one is that it’s all relative, as Albert Einstein would no doubt say.

And Newcastle have probably lost ground on other clubs who spent big in the summer, and  West Ham, Norwich, Sunderland, Swansea, Cardiff and Fulham built up their squads a lot more than Newcastle did, since we brought in only Loic Remy on loan.

So a number of mediocre clubs seem to have stolen a march on us this summer.

On a more positive note, we will have maybe 14 less games to play than last seasons, and our squad should now be big enough to withstand injuries and lack of form because of the fewer games we will have to play.

But the task for fans now is to somehow get owner Mike Ashley to spend the money we are now making as a business,  and that should be a lot,  since we will get an average of £25M more than last season in money received from the Premier League.

We are not saying Mike should spend stupid money as some clubs continue to do, but at least agree to spend the profits of the club – which should be considerable in the seasons ahead, now that we have our finances under control.

What do you think.

Comments welcome, but please keep them civil.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Black and White with an army lol

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM

MA out, AP out, JFK out, Cabaye out

• jeff

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM

lads, would u rather eat a poo or drink a wee

• Black and White with an army lol

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM

yey i was first

• NotAshleysPRman

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Is this any clearer? 🙂

• Schwefelberg

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

It’s Silence Fiction from Ashley.

As I said he expects people to be decent so he can gain the benefits of this society but gives no decency in return. A Parasite.

When Hernan Cortez showed up they gave him Gold at first. Must be Ashley’s role model.

• NotAshleysPRman

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

My comment requires moderation? Because of the name change?

• Ben3arfa

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Ashley, Kinnear and you can add Pardew to that are scumbags who should stay away from OUR club. Its not Ashleys club , he can peeeeeeee off

• renzo

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM

If we have a modicum of ambition and go for the domestic cups this season, than we may have as many games as last year. So, this is just an excuse which , quite frankly, is beginning to get on my nerves. Manager cannot say we need a striker fast and a month later decides he doesn’t. Please don’t insult the fan’s intelligence – its making it worse.

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM

repost
    at the end of the day you are either for or against
    you dont need to prove your affinity
    we are entitled to opinions
    simply follow which blogger suites best
    petty slanging goes nowhere only shows a immature nativity
    i have no truck with no-one on here but i have my beliefs which no-one can change
    im akin to ashley its like water off a ducks ass

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM

@NotAshleysPRman (TDS, I assume): Aye, it’s just to make sure you’re not mimicking another poster or owt. Nothing to worry about.

The thing about our squad is that we have nobody challenging for positions. The younguns coming through are looking to start their career but there’s nobody of equal ability, or even somebody who offers a little bit different, pushing for a place in the starting XI. The closest we have to that would probably be Anita and Cabaye. As a result, rotation becomes difficult because whenever we rotate (or a player gets injured or suspended) the squad there will be a decrease in quality. Until we find players who are excited to play for us, that’s something we just have to live with.

• Jamseyd24

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Guys I am younger than most on here I feel, so could some of you more experienced folks tell me do you really think these Ashley out groups will have any real effect???

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM

TDsarf,
    I think it’s pretty cruel if somebody done that to your forehead, could be the start of a trilogy, “The sarf with a Mike Ashley tatoo.”

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM

@John Tudor: That’s better. Completely agreed.

• NotAshleysPRman

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Damn, spotted already…

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Thump,
    I had a canny drink with Mac and Solano last night, shame I won’t be attending tonights meeting.

• NotAshleysPRman

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

John Tudor

How on earth did I deride your opinion? You portrayed it as fact, I was just pointing out that it’s your opinion, no more valid that my own.

• croftus5678

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM

tricky one really as we lost simpson/perch who were our only 2 used players that left the club !

but then we got our players who have upped there game from last season and added 2 lads who will imo be more effective than perch/simmo in dummett and sameobi.

add to that a player in our weakest area remy but that depends if you count or not the loss on ba half way through !

i think imo we are only stronger because our jan signings are more settled but come next season when remy returns we will be up the creek if we dont have a settled striker.

• NotAshleysPRman

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

People complain that we have unproven young players as back-up, people complain that we don’t give our young players enough chances…

People complain…

• Ibizatoon

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Tudor…Isn’t that missing the point of the comments section?

Surely it’s a good thing to open discussion with people who view things differently rather than people who just agree? It should remain respectful though, from both sides.

Not with a view of changing others opinions, but from open discussion people can confirm, review and sometimes alter their perspectives on things. It’s how we learn and grow.

Simply ignoring people because they view things differently is pretty immature, don’t you think?

To move things along, does anyone else find it odd that Pardew is saying that he intends to have meetings with Cabaye and his agents now? Surely these meetings took place before the window closed? They certainly should have. What’s left to say?

• wolfshead@toon

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

pards and jfk like football at least as for ashley he clearly bought the club in error and hes trying to make good on his losses which could take a while

• Ibizatoon

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

NotAshleysPRMan will need to be shortened…Shall we go with PRMan or NoTash?

• NotAshleysPRman

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

John Tudor

That’s one of the big problems on here. It’s not a case of either loving MA or hating him, same goes with Pardew. Ironically, not everything is black and white with our club…

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM

@Jamseyd24: How old are you mate?

Getting a board out of a club is a difficult one. It inevitably turns into a Mexican standoff between the protest groups and the board until one backs down. We’ve proved that we can irritate Ashley enough to put the club up for sale, but that was under very specific circumstances (Keegan, relegation – that whole soap opera). Right now I don’t think we should be focusing on getting rid of him outright as any action we take will likely damage the reputation of the club, it’s probably best to try and change what’s happening.

That’s a tricky subject unto itself because we don’t actually know what’s happening. Everything we know is largely down to what we’ve gathered from various news outlets and discussion blogs. Does Ashley have the best intentions for the club? Of course he does, he’s bought a house that may have been on the brink of demolition and done it up so he can sell it on.

That actually brings up an important point that I actually hadn’t thought of before: we will be a profitable club. I think we’d be the first profitable club in the league, where it’s self financing to the point where you actually make money from it simply by owning it… so if a buyer does come in, he (or she) would surely have to run the club by Ashley’s rules which, we’re all fairly agreed, isn’t the way forward.

…hm.

• croftus5678

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM

@19 ibiza

i think more than anything else i would guess its a motivational talk to see if his performances are commited and why he felt so strong about leaving us !

i can see how a player refusing to play would upset eveyone at the club and not be a quick fix esp when it was over a few games and at the point when you need to welcome the new player in (remy)

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Follow Me – Himanshu Dhingra on Twitter @ HD_07

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

@JFA: Aye, they’re brilliant blokes. Still need to grab one of those shirts, actually! I was going to head up for the meeting tonight but plans fell through at the last minute. Sodding buses.

• richyg01

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM

SACK THE BOARD

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM

@Ibiza: Not really. It clearly says to be civil. There’s so much vitriol on here that you could strain it, bottle it and drop it on Switzerland and watch a civil war start.

@NoTash (cheers, Ibiza!): I like this one better, actually!

• Harley

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Sorry but I cannot accept that Sunderland have a stronger squad just because they’ve bought a shed load of players. They’ve bought a load of crap!!
    Other teams have strengthened but I still believe we have th strongest squad outside the top 6.

Just gutted we couldn’t make 2 or 3 additions that would’ve really put us up there.

LIKE LUKAKU ON LOAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Belfast

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM

It’s probably about the same. We’ve lost experience, but we’ve got some new frenchies, though that could all pear shaped if they don’t settle quickly.

Same as usual a few injuries and we’re in the shit.

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM

@NoTash: While I’m catching up with posts (working and posting is difficult with my attention span), I’ll assume that “youngsters” comment was aimed at me. If not, I’ll clarify regardless.

I wasn’t complaining that the young lads are coming through and being pushed as backups, if anything that’s a positive. Young, hungry and will run all day to impress somebody. It’s completely expected that they will push any player in any position just because they want time on the pitch to start make a name for themselves. I was talking more about the fringe players.

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM

i portrayed nothing as fact i try never to
    ibiza
    not to have ago, but ignoring comments is best, ala makem trolls as some have pointed out here so by ignoring the trolls makes people is pretty immature hahah

• Ibizatoon

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Thump…It says odd, but I’d prefer things to be resolved with Ashley and for us to find a way to move forward that both sides can be happy.

Mind, that is not easy. Fans can’t even agree what it is that would make us happy.

Jail…Are you not attending tonights meeting?

Croftus…I get the situation needs to be monitored, but surely they’ve already discussed why it happened in the first place and how the situation would be handled going forward?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Tudor & Thump…I agree that if comments cannot be kept civil then it is best to simply ignore certain people, much like mackem trolls, but my point was is it not best to try and enter in to reasoned discussion with someone as that is the main point of the comments section?!?

I know, I know, what a silly hippy 🙂

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

hey ibiza
    i would prefer ashley to sort it, but you know he wont will he
    he didnt get to where he is by not lying

• Ibizatoon

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Just noticed my typo @33…It says odd??? No, it sounds odd.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Tudor…I accept that, hence my recent change in opinion.

Even if he seemed to be making a compromise, it would likely be shortlived. I don’t see how it can be turned around, too much bad feeling and no trust.

• Thump

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

@Ibiza: I’d like for things to resolve themselves. I’d like to see Ashley go back to the bloke we saw standing in the travelling support and doing daft micro-interviews with some nutter with a phone. I just can’t see it happening. Whatever passion that Ashley had – whether he got stuck with the club or not – has long since faded.

The worst thing is, when we finished 5th, he almost had us on his side. Last season ruined whatever fragile trust was building within the supporters. Again, he shot himself in the foot. It’s mental.

• Harley

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Just read the posts on the other articles and would just like to say that TDSARF in my opinion is one of the most level headed bloggers on here.

I don’t post every day multiple times, only a couple a week. But I read every article every day and TDS talks more sense than most on here.

I feel better for getting that off my chest!

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

he needs to be held to a ransom to a point he cant make money from nothing