The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Two Of Newcastle’s Fringe Players Fit Again

9:05 am, Thursday, September 5th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 36 Comments

With signing the six Frenchmen this year, Newcastle do seem to have a better squad in terms of depth and skills than last year at this time, and with less games to play this season, because we are not in Europe, we are hoping that will help the side do well in the league and maybe even in the two cups.

gabby obertan bordeaux first goal ameobi

Gabby Obertan – after scoring against Bordeaux last year

And two players we haven’t seen anything from this season are Gabby Obertan and Mike Williamson, and both now seem to have recovered from their injuries.

Gabby has been out with a hamstring tear,  and Mike had only a minor  injury but that kept him out of the four games so far this season.

This is what Alan Pardew had to say in the Shields Gazette this morning:

“I think Gabby will come back to us, and Willo will be fit,” “As long as we don’t pick up any knocks in training, we should have a good squad going to Villa.”  “We’re in a lot better health with the result.”

Gabby Obertan has slipped way down the pecking order at Newcastle, and both Mike Williamson and the Frenchman will find it hard to make the bench in games this season.

While we half expected Obertan to go out on loan this season or even be sold, with Newcastle not bringing in any permanent senior signing this summer (why we didn’t we have no idea),  means that Alan Pardew has not allowed any senior player to go out on loan.

There will some competition for places a week on Saturday when we play at Aston Villa, and Steven Taylor is now available after serving his three match ban for eb iong sent off in the first game of the season at the Etihad.

But we’d be surprised if he can replace Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa in the side,  as the French International has looked solid alongside Fab Coloccini in the Newcastle defense.

So for once all four senior center-backs are fit and able,  but we think Alan Pardew will stick with the Yanga-Mbiwa – Coloccini pairing.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Gabriel Obertan · Injuries · Mike Williamson · Newcastle News · Premier League

36 responses so far ↓

• 1 Schwefelberg // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Ashley is like Icarus in reverse — He wants to see how low he can fly.

Sure enough he flew in to the sewar where he met Wronga. Together they made a nasty action to nutsuck on tough break people and their bad days.

I’m glad the generations that sacrifices for our freedoms don’t see scum like Ashley and Wronga.

• 2 SuperShearer // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Okay, gonna play devil’s advocate here (I don’t agree with this but it’s a theory). Put yourself in MA’s shoes. He owns a Premier League football club, widely regarded as a big club due to fan base, single team city and history. But you can’t compete with the sugar daddy teams of Chelsea or City, you can’t compete with the prestige of Man Utd or Liverpool or the pull of London for teams like Arsenal or Spurs. What do you do? Do you invest a lot of your own money into a club that already owes you money and risk losing it OR do you keep it ticking over, hoping to keep it in the league until the Financial Fair Play Rules come into play? It’s your club, you don’t have any childhood affiliation to it like the fans do, you see it as nothing more than a business and advertising venture…..what do you do?

• 3 Ibizatoon // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM

SuperShearer…Pretty much what he is doing, but don’t fill fans heads with rubbish about being active in the transfer market or hire a DOF bleeting on about taking the club back to where it belongs…fighting for the CL.

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM

We know the club is hunting for good deals in the transfer market and will play hardball at the negotiating table.

You know, I think some of you would have been happier if we had:
    – signed Cisse for £15M 18 months ago
    – signed Anita for £8M last summer
    – given Ba a new contract worth £80kpw last summer
    – signed Sissoko for £8M last Jan
    – signed MYM for £12M last Jan
    – signed Goofy for £5M last Jan

etc. etc.

All on higher wages of course…

Because that’s what the previous owners did. They didn’t compile a list of players and then wait until they were available at the right price, they just went out and bought some regardless of the high price (Owen, Martins, Boumsong, Duff, Luque, Marcelino etc.)

If we had bought players of the calibre of Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa and the rest at market prices then we’d probably be in another £100M debt right now and they wouldn’t be any better!

• 5 I-Am-Ahab // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Noooooooooooo!!!

• 6 ToonDarnSarf // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM

TS

I think Ashley has a huge ego and he will want to paint himself as the saviour of this club (in his words probably despite the attitude of the fans…) so I think he will sell to a good owner.

It’s not good for his sporting business or business in general for him to be shown to put a club/business back on a sound footing and then just flog it to a dodgy new owner who wants to launder some money.

• 7 SuperShearer // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM

@Ibizatoon good point, fully agreed. But of course again, from a commercial standpoint it always pays to imply to the consumer (ie the fans) that improvements to the product are being made, even if they’re not. Bill Gates has done it pretty well with Windows ;)

I’m not excusing MA’s way of running the club at all, I’m just saying that if I bought say Birmingham, got them into the premiership with all the big TV money, was able to up my season ticket prices etc but knew full well that the best I could hope for is mid-table success, I might just wait it out knowing the FFP rules are supposed to help clubs like mine compete with the big boys.

• 8 Ibizatoon // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM

SuperShearer…Also very true, but I do recall hearing the occasional moan about Windows too :)

I get that side of it, I really do. Surely though they can’t expect fans to be happy about being mislead?

As for FFP, it should make clubs live within their means, which is a great thing, however the damage is already done. The gap will still be near on impossible to bridge and the big boys will still dominate the leagues and the markets as what they have available is still so much more than those smaller clubs.

It’s easy however to find the negative in things, I don’t have abetter plan to bring an even playing field that is at all realistic.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

TDS

Fair play. I just disagree, I think he won’t care once he has left he will be happier and wont care if we succeed or rot i don’t think. All the good things he has done aren’t for us but all to save himself money.

That’s just my opinion, no way to prove it but just what I think.

On signings…well yes shepherd made mistakes too, nobody thinks he was whiter than white, but that doesn’t mean ashley is great either.

Holding out for a good deal is fine a lot of the time…its just the odd time he has left us short and gambled a bit. Like he did when carroll went…best had a poor fitness and goal record but somehow stayed fit for 5 months and scored a few goals.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

TDsarf,
    Again you exagerate figures, you always use what ifs or extremes to defend your point, we’re not asking for silly money to be spent, just spent at the right time, a lot of people are in the belief that we have a good first eleven, we have but a few injuries to key players and we are goosed, why not strengthen now while we are looking rather than wait until we are demoralised .

• 11 Transfer Sage // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

ibiza

FFP might be rubbish for competition short term but long term could really help to boost academies which might also help the national side.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Looking good.

• 13 wynsleap // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Williamson and Obertan back and Taylor soon pushing for his spot again.
    God I can’t take this excitement!
    If this is the best news we can come up with it’s gonna be a long, long miserable season.

• 14 Wiz // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Noodlebug is back again, and talking rubbish, which is a shame. The previous owners made mistakes, but not as many as Ashley, who is making the same mistakes again this season, although Noodle has never acknowledged the mistakes he made in the first place. The previous owners also bought Shearer, Sir Les, Faustino, Batty, Rob Lee, and David Ginola and gave us the best, most entertaining, and memorable team we have ever had. To suggest that those of us who acknowledge these facts simply want to buy the players we have already bought but more expensively does not really match the facts, but that is not a problem for Noodlebug, who is incapable of facing reality. The reality, incidentally, is that there is going to be a supporters’ revolt, perhaps against Leeds, perhaps at the time of season ticket renewal next year, or perhaps both. It is unlikely supporters will be fobbed off with a few cheapo purchases again.

• 15 Ibizatoon // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM

TDS…Which is why I don’t care about the actual amount we spend or even that we make a profit…that’s all well and good. Like you, it’s the communication and this apparent target to simply get by.

Where is the real statement of intent? What are we doing and where are we heading?

We can only draw conclusions, but from what we’re seeing, it’s plodding along, hoping for a better tomorrow.

• 16 Wayayman // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM

We used to have a Rolls Royce of a team, full of power, pace and flair and just about everyone else wanted part of it.

Now we have an Alfa Romeo team. Looks good, fantastic heritage but under the bonnet it’s unreliable and , well, a bit sh!t.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

TS…We’ll see mate. I hope it brings some good at the end of the day and of course these things will take time.

• 18 Schwefelberg // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM

And it’s not lost money ..players are assets too. Its capacity building and it works.

• 19 ToonDarnSarf // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM

TS

Yeah, it can only be a gut feeling about Ashley. I just hope I’m right about his ego!

Gambling is obviously what it is. We’ve had gambles pay off with the sale of Carroll (he wasn’t worth the money and we didn’t get relegated) and also with the purchases of Ben Arfa, Cisse, Sissoko, Goofy and others. It was always possible that Sissoko would sign a new contract or someone else would come in for him so I think the club deserves credit for the gambles that paid off rather than just slating them for those that didn’t.

Sure, it’s frustrating being so close to what many of us see as a rounded squad and we’ll just have to hope we don’t get many injuries until Jan at least…

• 20 Transfer Sage // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM

ibiza

teams have gotten lazy buying and wanting instant….more times at grassroots in communities and spending money to benefit the local area too can only be a good thing for people…even if it’s not good for the club.

• 21 Toon Tang // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM

jesus christ, i see mashley has got his PR wagon fully rolling on the last thread.

• 22 Waldo P. Barnstormer // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM

The clout that Chelsea and man city have is scary not for the fact of the amount of money spent as much as how do they survive if and when their owner gets bored? I’m not impressed with this window but after last Jan I knew it was coming again!
    If I where MA. There is no way on gods green I’d put in anymore than I really needed to to protect my own money. Yes he has made so many mistakes but has been hound for everyone since KK turned his back on us again!
    We have a great club that is shackled by an owner who is so stubborn to allow himself to loose face. He does not care for the club anymore due to threats to his family by idiots. He backed fat Sam he spent money early in our faited relegation year (£17mill on colo and Gutierrez).
    For me, we as fans damaged our own clubs regime/fan relationship that period around the Hull game and beyond.
    He may not want to be here, we may not want him to be here. However the blatant fact appears to be is that no one else wants to be here either. Whether it be the fact that they are scared of falling foul of the fans or scared of MA’s price tag. So in short we all reap what we sow. Us the fans and ultimately MA. I fear for nothing more than just enough from Ashley for years to come.

• 23 Wayayman // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM

And while we’re on the subject of finances, am I alone in not giving a rat’s arsehole about what the accounts look like? I didn’t car when Hall or Shepherd was involved and i don’t care now.
    Otherwise I might as well go and sit in my accountants office every Saturday and cheer like mad every time he writes something off against tax.

I’m a football fan, seeing my team giving it some, playing good football and getting stuck in is all I ask.

• 24 fatman // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM

the FFP was an idea of a french man who was sick of the EPL with is massive amounts of cash & wealthy owners the trouble is now PSG joined the club and the french man will never do anything it will just be left to die a death.

• 25 Transfer Sage // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM

TDS

Yes I agree..its all about the odds of the gamble for me. Carroll going was a big big gamble for me and a replacement should have been bought even if it was a little over the odds for paying.

Other gambles are fine, it’s just we dont seem to have a back up plan if the gamble doesn’t pay off.

• 26 aidytoon9 // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM

This squad won’t make top ten!
    Dont accept this regime! Mike is taking us down.

• 27 Wiz // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Jail for Ashley – I basically agree with you, and we would have little difficulty avoiding relegation if we were able to play our best eleven week in week out. But of course that will not happen, as you point out. Where we might disagree is over the quality of our first eleven. I don’t really understand why people are happy with a team that has a defence that has shipped fifty goals in each of the last three seasons. We were so second best against Manchester City it was embarrassing, and were second best to Morecambe in a dreadful display. I like Pardew, true, and always have done, so I acknowledge I am slow to see his faults sometimes, but I can quite easily blame the players that we have so far. They are not, for the most part, good enough. Krul, Coloccini, Mbiwa, Tiote and Cisse are the only players I would keep. I would sell Ben Arfa, although nobody really good seems to be interested in him.

• 28 Schwefelberg // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM

You heard the story that Ashley didn’t understand until late that the ground didn’t come with the club. Then he uncovered some debt. What looked a sweet deal was souffle filled with battery acid.

• 29 benjamins86 // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Wayayman

Are you mad!? As a football fan, would you like to see the toon get docked 10 points or even relegated to third tier of football because we’re broke?

I agree we should of signed some players but I’m happy we’re financially sound.

• 30 benjamins86 // Sep 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Wiz

Ben Arfa is our best player…..FACT

• 31 benjamins86 // Sep 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Back to the story above n I think Obertan n Williamson should have been sold. They don’t strengthen our squad at all. Would rather see Good or Street as 4th CB n Rolando Aarons as a forward squad player

• 32 jokinoot // Sep 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

That’s the best ever news that will really shoot us up the table like new signings !i don’t think

• 33 wynsleap // Sep 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Schwefelberg @ 28 – That’s all it is – a story.
    No one can legally hide any information when allowing a take over. Ashley was just overbearing, impetuous and pig headed in his aggressive purchase and it backfired.
    And he’s supposed to be a clever businessman.

• 34 richyg01 // Sep 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

SACK THE BOARD

• 35 richyg01 // Sep 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

2 fringe players who we don’t want

• 36 Sav // Sep 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Great!

Obertan and Williamson – just like 2 new signings.

So Mashley. So Newcastle. So predictable. …

previous post: Alan Pardew Still Has A Challenge With This Player