A Good Season Would Mean This Player Scores Goals

Yoan Gouffran played very well when he came into the club in January, and of the five Frenchmen to arriveat that time, it could be argued that Yoan showed the most consistent form through the end of the season.

yoan gouffran new bw strip

Yoan Gouffran – in action this season

This season, the thing we remember about Yoan is he missed that absolute sitter two minutes into injury time against West Ham, when Sammy Ameobi’s great  left wing cross come shot hit the upright,  and the ball came to Yoan about a yard out in the middle of the goal,  but somehow Yoan lobbed the ball over the bar.

You know even I could have even put that one in – well maybe not. 😀

And then last Saturday the Frenchman missed a very good opportunity with a header that was set late ion the game by – who else – Hatem Ben Arfa.

But Yoan is a good player and he played very well last season, and we love the lad’s attitude, and  he’ll do well for us this season.

And it seems that Alan Pardew is a big fan too, as he said this to the local papers:

“I think he’s like Peter Lovenkrands in that he’ll give you absolutely everything.” “He’ll run all day and night for the team. His attitude is fantastic.”

“I think our supporters appreciate those type of players. So it’ll be interesting to see he does this year.”  “Gouffran, we felt, really pushed on when he got in the team last season,”

“It will be interesting to see how he does this season.”  “He is a really terrific lad, a wholehearted player, and someone our fans do already appreciate.”

Yoan is already well liked by Newcastle fans, because he’s simply a good lad who was ecstatic when he joined Newcastle in January.

And Peter Lovenkrands was a good player for Newcastle when he  signed from Schalke 04 in January of 2009 on a free transfer when Joe Kinnear was the manager,  and he had a good goal scoring record of  29 goals in 84 appearances for the Magpies

Peter is now with Lee Clark at Birmingham City, where Shane Ferguson is spending a season on loan.

Both Yoan Gouffran’s signing and Moussa Sissoko’s signings were brought forward to January to help in our relegation struggle, as the initial plan was to bring them in as free agents this summer.

It does seem that Newcastle’s big weakness this season will  be putting the ball in the back of the net, but the acquisition of Loic Remy will definitely help in that regard.

But since we didn’t bring in a second striker this summer, it’s up to players like Gouffran, Ben Arfa and the Ameobi brothers,  to chip in with some extra goals  if we are to have a successful season.

We look forward to Yoan scoring a good few goals for us this season, and he’s likely to see a lot of appearances for the side, as he does have that goal scoring knack, just like Peter Lovenkrands had when he was the club.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I can’t see Gouffran and Shola hitting 10 between them in all honesty.

• DevonToon

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Well he should have had two goals already!

• DevonToon

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Goofs finishing does leave me some what speechless, not in a good way either. .

• hkToon

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I bet Sammy didn’t intend to score from that cross!! It’s not a great cross just a mis-hit!

• stestickle

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM

don’t see goofy being a striker more of an obertan upgrade

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Remy and Cisse will deliver until their injured. Then it’s going to be difficult I think.

First choice – Remy & Cisse.
    Second – Gouffran & Remy.
    Third – Cisse & Gouffran.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I will reserve judgement on him for a little while longer. It’s clear he’s not the most gifted of finishers (perhaps an under statement?), nor is he someone to create too much by himself.

Maybe, just maybe, if we can get some fluidity and confidence in the team, we may see a more productive Gouffran.

Let’s hope so anyway…don’t have too many other options, but moving swiftly on.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Prodigy…You expect Pardew to get to his 4th choice striker pairing before he gets Shola involved?

• Rainrix

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Goofy for me is a better option on the left than marv or jonas. Marv as its becoming obvious he’s an impact player or needs to be played through the centre and jonas should be dropped for obvious reasons. Gouffran has the workrate to cover santon, is quick and unlike marv he rarely seems to go missing and isn’t lazy either, as pardew unfortunately points out 🙂

• bobby mango

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Disappointed for the man this season but I remember his finish against QPR… Open net yes, but took it very well. That goal kept us up.

• martoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Nufc.com have a link to an interesting article about a link between the Chronicle and Wonga – here it is
    I love how they change from calling them a ‘Payday lender’ to a ‘Digital Finance Company’ 🙂

• hkToon

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Guys, who will score more this season?
    Goofy vs Shola
    Jonas vs Tiote
    Santon vs Debuchy

• Mattoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Gouffran over Shola, Guttierez over Tiote and Santon over Debuchy!!

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

martoon…That swift change is up there with “cheap” to “inexpensive” 🙂

Language, it’s amazing at times.

hkToon…That’s really tough, can I just say that I think they’ll be lucky to get 10 goals between the 6 of them?

No? Ok, Goofy (I assume and hope), Jonas (If played correctly, from the bench, then he could once again show some of his older skill set – I think he is currently a victim of covering too much, with a balanced team I think he may contribute more offensively. Not lots more, but it can’t be much less) and Debuchy (this is 50/50, I just expect one of Debuchys smashers from outside the box to go in at some point).

• toon1707

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I like him yes his finishing could do with being improved but he has pace a decent cross from what I have seen so far and I think he will come through good this season I just hope he gets plenty of time on the pitch

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Ibiza,

Nah, I think after Remy & Cisse it’s anyone guess.

Those are my preferences because I just don’t rate Shola these days mate.

He has got a good chance to play Shola ahead of Gouffran. I only think we will see Gouffran if Remy takes a knock or if he wants to change it up in the last 20 minutes in games.

The way Pardew is probably looking at it, Shola is Cisse’s replacement and Gouffran is Remys.

All speculative of course.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Prodigy…Realistic / probable speculation good sir.

At least we have Remy in that mix now.

• sticklebricks

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I can see Gouffran getting edged out of the team by Remys arrival if I’m honest.

Don’t think you can get Arfa, Cisse, Remy, Cabaye and Gouffran on the pitch and only playing one of Anita/Sissoko/Tiote.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Sammi getting a go upfront for a game or two, I just think he seems to have a determination in him to score goals this season in the same vain as Nolan/Carroll did.

• HBA All Day

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM

With the squad now set and no more rumors from the transfer window I feel goof will settle down and start getting into form for us. Just a matter of time.

• kira13th

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

He better play winger and striker

• kira13th

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

***correction

He better play winger than striker