Is This Player Newcastle’s Top Youngster?

North Shields born Adam Campbell doesn’t turn 19 until January 1st, but he is one of Newcastle’s most promising players, and the England U20 striker could well be sent out on loan again after the abortive two weeks he had at Carlisle where he hardly played – one late sub appearance.

adam campbell B&W wonga

Adam Campbell – a fantastic prospect for Newcastle

St. Mirren have again expressed an interest in taking the 18 year-old, but maybe a Championship club would be better, and that’s because of the higher standards in the Championship, and then Adam would have a chance to prove himself, by scoring some goals.

But Newcastle are very happy the way both Conor Newton and Paul Dummett came through at the Scottish club last season, and Pardew may be happy enough to send Adam north of the border, at least through January.

Adam works hard in training and keeps his head down, and he also has that inbuilt confidence in his own abilities, he’s very fast, and has that knack of putting the ball into the back of the net.

The 18 year-old England U20 International had this to say after the St. Mirren game in the summer, about this season:

“It is going to be a massive season for me no matter where I end up.” “If I can stay here, I’d love that.” ” I would love to fight for my place if I can but if the gaffer thinks it is right to move on – that’s what I will do.”

“Hopefully, I can stay here and push for the first team here.” “I don’t know. I am just the same as any other player. I am just concentrating on my football and I’m not really worried about loans.”

“There aren’t as many strikers in as we have in the past so there’s a chance for me and Haris Vuckic to really push on.” “I will turn up in training and do the best I can.”  “It’s great to have people like Papiss Cisse and Shola Ameobi to learn from in training.”

Shola’s always there to offer advice and telling us things we should be doing. They’re great people to learn from.” “It’s been really good and I made sure I stayed fit over the summer so I returned in the best shape possible.”

Since we only brought in  Loic Remy on loan in this summer, maybe Adam will be kept at Newcastle, but we don’t think so.

Getting regular first team games away from Newcastle is what the 5’5″ striker now needs, and Alan Pardew will have to rely on Cisse, Remy, Shola Ameobi and Yoan Gouffran for the striker positions – at least through January.

We look forward to seeing Adam slamming in those goals for some side before January rolls around – and maybe it will be north of the border.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Love the attitude lad, but you should get yourself out on loan, even if it’s short term. We need you to reach your potential and come do the business for the toon…we’re not there quite yet.

• Lew Davies

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM

He definitely needs to go out on loan.
    He wont improve any more with our U21’s or sitting on the bench.
    Needs to be playing matches week in week out.

• jeff

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I DONT KNOW

• martoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Apologies Himanshu it just looked like it should be an anagram.
    I noticed Tiote is now fit to play for his country so he now has to considered for the midfield conundrum. Can’t help feeling we’ll pick up injuries somewhere from the internationals – let’s hope it is not strikers.

• Rainrix

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Ibiza…. I think that article was a little misleading. Over the last 2 games we’ve had a massive 40 total shots. Now it depends what the article defines as a goalscoring opportunity. Is that simply a pass that leads to a shot? If so a fair few marv passes would simply be going to ben arfa or somebody else to blaze over from 25 – 30 yards.

I do like marveaux and i didn’t want that to come over as overly critical but i think with remy and cabs coming back he’s the obvious casualty along with shola and possibly anita and thats not even considering jonas coming back :). He does need a consistent run to show what he can do but barring a massive injury crisis i dont think he’ll get it here. At least we know we have a potential game changer on the bench.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM

The gaffer also thinks that we should sit back deep on our own half after going a goal up to bottom of the league Reading at home, Adam, so I wouldn’t listen to him.

• Rainrix

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM

i would put my hand up for doing some ashley photoshop tomfoolery but i dont think work would appreciate it :). I think that image though should be blown up and used as the figure head for the ashley out campaign, revolt people into taking action.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Rainrix…Are you questioning the stats? I bet you don’t buy in to Simpson being the best RB in the league 2 years ago either? Stop being blind! 😉

Get what you’re saying and I think he is the most obvious casualty. It goes against what I think he needs though, which is game time. Sadly, no room for sentiment in football and when there is, Marveaux rarely is the recipient.

• Bearsize

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I hope shola stops giving him advice! We’ll end up with another sicknote

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Rainrix..Aye…what’s that saying? Sex sells? Wait, that can’t be the right saying I was looking for….

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

martoon,

No worries, Changed my Pseudonym to my real name.

• croftus5678

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

i’m really a big fan of st miran now tbh so i’d love cambell to go there !

you can shove a player in any team but if they are not looked after and have there confidence built in the right way it will have the opposit effect of making them a real good player.

st miran was great with dummett and newton and both look like they can make the grade when in fairness before they went there did not look like they where our top youngsters.

• Slank

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I don’t think he is ‘Newcastle’s top youngster’. I suppose it depends upon what you mean Ed by ‘youngster’.

He has yet to prove himself in the first team. Granted he hasn’t had a much exposure often only coming on in the dying minutes of matches.

I would say that Dummett, Bigi and Sammy are ahead of him but only Sammy plays upfront so it’s between him and Campbell. Although I’ve only seen him once, and that was against Morecambe, I was impressed with Good. Campbell needs to go out on loan.

• croftus5678

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM

and on goofy !

last year for us he played 14 games and i think all but 1 game was as a winger if i remember right and scored 3 goals
    cisse played 35 games with 8 goals as a striker !

in the past tenth’s goofy scores well in a striking role and we all cringe at that miss he did but how many times has cisse missed an easy goal also lol.

think goofy would be awsome if in a striker only role tbh once he’s settled.

• Slank

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Rainrix

I’m astonished that we have had over 40 shots in the last two games. I’m assuming that they were all in the direction of the opponents goal !

Where does the statistic come from?

• PMartel

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM

In response to the previous post regarding Cabaye and a post from Lew Davies:

‘The booing when he came on was pathetic and typical of our fans.’

Although I can appreciate people having a difference of opinion on footballing matters, as always. I for one, simply cannot condone Cabaye’s behaviour. When a player refuses to play for his employers and leave his own teammates in the lurch for three games running should be hung out to dry for me. No player is bigger than the football club.

The majority of fans that I’ve spoken are now finished with Cabaye and will never look at the guy in the same light again.

I’m interested…is anyone else in the Cabaye camp?

• croftus5678

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM

@13 slank

would have to agree with all of that myself tbh apart from curtis good as i’ve only seen glimpses of him that made him look avg (but thats not me calling him just i have not seen hardly anything of him yet)

was good playing as lb or cb when you see him ?(secretly hoping he’s a very good cb)

• Rainrix

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:43 AM

ibiza…. Well i do agree with you he needs game time but he gets thrown around this club like justin bieber in a prison shower so its hard for him. Take that out of context how you like.

You don’t think sexy ashley would sell? Well Jk and pards bought it so i think you’re in a minority mate 🙂

• Rainrix

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Slank…. Just taking them off sky sports. Again these are totals and count blocked shots etc.

• ArtyH

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

IMHO Benny should be played as an auxiliary striker or up with the main striker as he always likes to beat the defenders before shooting. If he was further up the pitch, there would be less chance of him loosing the ball in mid field and giving the opposition the advantage. Benny should only be given the ball in the last 3rd of the pitch, there he can really do us some good and if he looses the ball, it would not cause us too much damage.

• Rainrix

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Modded really?

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Every player in our Squad is a better player than what pardew lets them.

Not saying they are WC but just better than what current manager allows them to be.

• Slank

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

croftus5678 @ 14

I think Goofy would be awesome striker if he could hit the back of the net!

However, despite his last two misses he really does get into good goal scoring positions and will also run at defenders and make opportunities for himself.

• Rainrix

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Slank… I’ll try again as my response was modded but i got them off sky sports

I’ve just posted the fulham stats as i assume i got told off for posting too many links

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Rainrix…If being saddled with JK and Pards puts me in the majority, I’d rather be in the minority 🙂

Slank…If it helps, I think Krul is responsible for around 10 of those shots.

• croftus5678

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM

@16 pmartel

the reason i’m a bit torn on cabaye is i’m hoping he will come good because he is arguably our best cm imo but i do agree with what you say the lad is not bigger than the club and if he was on par or even avg player i would be screaming kick him out !

by hurting the player we will hurt ourselves in other words but i think its actually something the fans can help with this time in showing him how upset we are about it aslong as we dont let him effect the rest of the team.

• Lew Davies

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM

PMartel – you have no proof he refused to play. Just press/media crap.
    But if that is enough for you to turn on a player, then fair do’s.
    I’m less inclined to believe anything that deflects the blame away from the regime. Who are a proven bunch of liars.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Okay, we have a new thread to go to, but shall we play the “guess the answer to the article” game?

Why didn’t we go after Tom Ince?

I’m guessing money was involved. As in, we had to spend some.

• sparky55

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM

@16…cabs had a great first year then got depressed for some reason and has never been the same since…mind you I’d get depression playing football the way Pardew played it last year too!

His heart is and mind are not with the club anymore…it’ll be a struggle for him for sure and he should be sold.

I don’t think he’ll perform any better than he did last year which is not good…Anita needs to step up to the plate and in some games they can play together but on merit cabs doesn’t deserve a starting place but will because Pardew simply doesn’t rate Anita

• Slank

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

ArtyH @ 19

Its very arguable whether he is better in an auxiliary strike role or as he normally plays now. I guess trying to coach him is like herding cats.

The thing about Ben Arfa is that, unlike all the other players at the club, he can quite easily get past his man and often the next one and sometimes the one after that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t but that’s not a reason not to try.

He uses his quick feet, balance and very quick turn of pace and speed. To do that he needs space in front of him. In an auxiliary strike role upfront he may not have that freedom.

• ArtyH

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Slank@30, it was just a thought and I am sure we are on the same page, its just when he gets the ball so high up the pitch it increases our attacking options and brings more options to go at, ie deflections, punch outs or part clearances by their keeper.

• richyg01

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM

He needs game time, and when you look at the way Dummett has come back, then he could do much worse than head North

• ronjohno

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I was not at Fulham match but friends who were there thought the booing was more because Anita was being replaced.

• kira13th

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

@16

Me too, I don’t want Cabaye in our team.

Adam Campbell should be send on loan…he needs more real game.

I don’t why, Pardew call him back very fast…….

• PMartel

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Lew,

I agree…you can’t believe a thing with this regime but it’s clear that Cabaye’s heart is no longer with the cause as Sparky commented; that’s been apparent since last season now. Pardew even confirmed that Cabaye had been taking instructions from his advisers about not playing. I have nothing but contempt for our regime but it would have been the players decision on wherever he could have feaured in those three games.

• HBA All Day

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

He should def go on loan to a champions leauge side. Will do both the toon and him a load of good. He needs that next level of competition.

• gazzaforever

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Keep campbell, 19 is not that young, and he s our third striker option ,, i would give him a try with remy upfront and benny cam

• woolerbill

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Adam Campbell

What has this lad done that makes him worth the trouble. Doe’s he score goals every other week, doe’s he make chances for other every other week at any legal of the game. If he I so good why don’t hear great things of him, not just talk

• woolerbill

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Adam Campbell

What has this lad done that makes him worth the trouble. Doe’s he score goals every other week, doe’s he make chances for others every other week at any level of the game. If he is so good why don’t hear great things of him, not just talk

• HBA Must Stay

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Oh how the mighty have fallen! The we love MA brigade have all but disappeared!! Take the fat @@@@ with you and his little slimy clueless manager with you!!

Nuff said!