Former Player Shocked At Newcastle’s Incompetence

Robbie Elliott had two spells at Newcastle, the first one under Kevin Keegan from 1991 through 1997, and then he was brought back on a free transfer from Bolton in the summer of 2001, when Bobby Robson was the manager,  so Robbie was fortunate enough to have played under two of the most successful Newcastle managers in recent times.

robbie elliot

Robbie Elliot – born and bred in Gosforth

And the 39 year-old has given a long interview in the Chronicle today, and he’s as shocked as the rest of us, about how the transfer business was conducted this summer.

Newcastle – make that Joe Kinnear – didn’t seem to have much of a clue at all, as to how to get our  top targets through the door, and we ended up with only Loic Remy on loan for the season.

This is some of what Robbie had to say today:

“Funny how times change. I used to look forward to deadline day with excitement and anticipation. Now it just makes me sad and annoyed.”

“I don’t know what to believe any more in terms of what comes out of the club.” “In fact it’s getting to the stage where I don’t believe anything that’s said.”

“It’s like the boy that cried wolf. They say one thing, such as they are going to sign players, and it doesn’t happen.” “We were told all summer that players would arrive, but you do start to wonder whether that was ever the plan.”

“It’s just so disappointing.” “The only thing that kept me going on deadline day was the Geordie humour.” “I think they had to find a funny side to it all or they would have rioted.”

“We are strong all over the pitch, but we just needed strengthened. I can’t believe the same mistakes are being made.” “There is a difference between wanting your club to buy just for the sake of it and knowing they need to buy – and that was us.”

“I am still a massive Newcastle fan. That won’t change.” “There is not another club I can think of that experiences so many highs and low.” “But I suppose that’s why we love it so much.”

If we had signed three or four good players this summer we could have taken the side from fairly good to very good, and even had a chance of making the top six again – but no – it wasn’t  to be, and money, or more accurately –  the unwillingness of the owner to spend it – got in the way again.

Robbie was born in Gosforth,  and in July of 2008, he returned to Newcastle for a third spell at the club as  the new assistant Fitness and Conditioning coach, when Kevin Keegan was manager,  but he finally left  the following summer when we were relegated after a tumultuous season, and Newcastle were in complete and utter turmoil.

We remember it well, and my arm  started  to hurt just thinking about it. 🙁

Since he left Newcastle,  Robbie Elliott has done very well working  in America with the US Soccer Federation, as the  Youth National Team Performance Expert.

It’s good to hear from Robbie again.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Tsunki

Sep 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Ed still likes to typo Newcastle I see. Its like a trusty old pair of slippers.

• WWSBRD

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM

JfA
    Haha bit quiet these days eh

On a side note the NUFC box office is on par with the club management for being crap Christ on a bike

• Belfast

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Back in your box Skunki.

I think this was actually from his twitter account.
    The chronicle always do the best exclusives lol

• WWSBRD

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM

For harpers match I might add fat lad can do without my money though he robbed me (and charity) of a pound

• MacToon

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Neil Cameron at the Chronicle is putting Ryder to shame really. He (Cameron) was responsible for the 10 questions to Ashley, my favourite being

8. Is annoying the supporters something you enjoy?

• MacToon

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM

WW, you going to Harper’s testimonial? Ashley robbed me of a quid too but had cup o’ tea and 2 bacon sarnies at his expense other day so don’t feel so bad about it now.

• WWSBRD

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

MacToon
    I am mate. Having bought my tickets the day after they went on sale I had to go pick them up at the box office today after a cock up and am treated like am putting them out…ud think they’d be on best behaviour after the summer but apparently not

How did u wrangle that reprieve? Break into his house and cook it up urself haha

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Mac,
    Just sent you an e mail intended for a mate of mine in Aberdeen, just ignore it.
    JfA

• Belfast

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Taking a wild guess that those questions will never be answered lol

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM

WW…,
    A mate of mine is saying he hopes the testimonial is spoiled by anti Ashley protests, but I’m sure Harps wouldn’t mind at all.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Isn’t spoiled, doh

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Tsunki has reared his ugly head again I see. Patsies like him will never let the club come up.

• jazzyp

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

R.i.p Nufc

• MacToon

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Testimonial already being spoiled imho by inclusion of Paolo Di Canio but if Harps is happy so am I.

WW, thought you were in Germany? I had invite from club to gates ceremony so I got my moneys worth when I had the chance ha ha.

• WWSBRD

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

JfA
    Aye mate I would be gutted if it does there’s a time and a place for that and a charity match that the club have little to do with seems daft to me

• MacToon

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Will ignore mail Jail, no bother.

• Tsunki

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Himanshu Anagram – Are you calling me a Pastie? Thats not nice at all. I think I am more of a large meat pie.

And although you know nothing about my head, I know exactly what type yours is.

Sayonara Dingrat, I am off again until the blog has peristaltically disgorged you and some kind of news is on the go. I know it could be a long wait.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

So the blog is now a better place with the demented and schizophrenic going.

Thank god for that.

• bishopblaize

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Man to watch .. Obertan new Ronaldo

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Tsunki,
    We are in for a torturous week until the Villa game kicks off and the attacks on Pardews tactical nous and his inability to get the team that kindly benefactor Mashley has put together begin.

• fatman

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

just read this
    US Secretary of State John Kerry says he and Arab League foreign ministers have agreed that the Syrian president’s alleged use of chemical weapons crossed a “global red line”
    maybe thats why we could not get anyone over the line too many Syrians getting in the way.

• Ted Bundy

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Fatman

Hilarious…..

*tumbleweed drifts by*

• scout

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Ashley should come out and talk, tell us all what the plan is. After all it’s the Newcastle fans that line his pocket. The challenge is set. If someone from the club reads this, it’s that what people hope for.
    Get the man to speak, we want to know what he’s playing at

• jimiley

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Scout,

You cannot work it out. It is called asset stripping. But he cannot come out and say that so he keeps stumm.

• Sir Braveheart

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Its not asset stripping, its pocketing the profits. Theres a difference.

• toon kk

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

MA will eventually ruen our club.
    He knows exactly how to upset the fans and gets a kick out of doing it.
    As long as we’re in the premier league that’s all that matters, he even gambles with that too save money.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM

The protest may wake Ashley up to the fact that unhappiness with the way the team is being run is growing again. An owner has obligations as well as privileges. Most owners don’t need to be reminded of that but ours has always been a little different.

• roy

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Its been far worse at NUFC, in Remy and Cisse we have two proven strikers unlike when we had Lovenkrands Ameobi and Best. The midfield is strong enough to tackle most outside the top four.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

With Pardew as Manager, Newcastle is the envy of every non-league Team.

• theartfuldodger

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Fatman,
    Hillarious….

Robbie Elliot sums up the mood of this blog on deadline day pretty damn well.

• Dannyo

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM

@WWSBRD

WWJBD? WWYCD?

• Dannyo

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Yeah, I knew those nicknames would kill the blog.

• Marty-Toon

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Shame some of our former players don’t get together with the money they earned as players,that they’ve hopefully invested wisely and buy Ashley out and get this club back on its feet.
    Must say I was really for a fans takeover with the supporters group and wanted to invest a Grand of hard earned cash but it never came about.
    Hopefully one day we can own the club!

• wynsleap

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Roy @ 28 – Oh that’s alright then. I feel so much better for that statement. Will sleep well tonight.
    I bet you think that Kinnear is better than the DOF we had before? Oh we never had one? Well there’s a thing.

• roy

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Wynsleap enjoy your kip!

• Marty-Toon

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Wynsleap
    Your right here,it’s not easy to sleep well when people say that our players and squad are good enough
    Although he wasn’t far off,I do think our best 15 players are good enough to compete with those outside the top 6/7 but IMO it’s the manager that just doesn’t know tactics so well or how to utilize the strengths of those players

• Dekasalya

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Is anyone else getting a bit worried about JFK? I mean, no one has seen or heard a peep from the old boy for a week or so, and he was last heard of wandering to no purpose round the South of France.

Given that he might alarm the French authorities with his bizarre public announcements and his implausible claims, is it possible that the French have him sectioned in some secure accomodation?

They are not going to believe him when he claims to be Director of Football, and he probably gets a double librium every time he asks for a phone to call Arsene Wenger.

I suppose they might simply have deported him as an undesirable vagrant, but does anyone think I should contact the Embassy in Paris just in case the gendarmes have handed him in?

• stan anderson

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

J F K is working at Billy Smarts Circus until next transfer window opens.

• jazzyp

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Evening all
    Roy@28-at least theres someone with optimism on here.

• thai-mag

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

if our top players can keep fit, no problem keeping up, but if we have a few injuries we will be fu***d till January