Gomis – Newcastle A Good Choice For Me – I Gave My Consent

As Bafe Gomis starts to get himself fit and ready to play for Lyon again this season, he has talked about his potential move to Newcastle in the summer, which just didn’t come off for one reason or another, but Gomis has shed some light on what the impasse was.

bafetimbi gomis shooting

Bafe Gomis – asked to forgo a payment

Bafe has been interviewed on the web-site le10sport.com, and this is of what he had to say about the aborted Newcastle transfer:

“I did not ask for the  transfer.”

“I gave my consent to Newcastle and I was targeted by two clubs. After a discussion with the French coach Didier Deschamps, he gave me his point of view, and told me that Newcastle was a good choice for me.”

“I then talked to the coach of the Magpies and it was all agreed. They made an offer of €8M plus €2M, then they came back to me asking me to make a financial contribution”

“But I did not ask for the transfer, and it was up to Lyon or Newcastle to do, not me. The way I’ve been training in the Reserves bothered me, and that’s why I did not want to make the effort. “

Nice to see some support from Deschamps, although the other club could well have been Russian.

It seems to us that Bafe was right, because he never wanted a transfer and never asked for one, and in fact he wanted to see out the last year of his contract at Lyon, and then become a free agent next summer.

But Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas wanted to cash in on his striker this summer, and not lose him for nothing next summer, so Bafe was right in saying he did not ask for a transfer and therefore was due some payment as part of the overall deal.

And the wages that Newcastle initially agreed to were around £75K/week – according to Aulas –  which seems really high – and it seems Newcastle also tried to lower those to make the deal cheaper for the club.

Joe Kinnear always said this was a complex deal, and it seems that both clubs were unwilling to go that little bit extra to get the deal signed, sealed and delivered.

Lyon are not in a good financial position, and Newcastle just don’t like to spend too much money in the transfer market, which is why we always find it difficult to close deals, as happened last year with Mathiu Debuchy.

Now what happens in January is anybody’s guess, but this deal seems uncannily like the Debuchy affair of last summer, and it could be that Newcastle will have a deal agreed with Gomis and Lyon before January rolls around.

Hope so.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Ben3arfa

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Yer fair enough why would you take a pay cut to complete a transfer that you never wanted to go through anyway.

Kinnear should have gotten a second option though that fat scumbag

• numba9

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Ashley and co asked him for a financial contribution ??? Am I reading this right ? I might ask Asda to make a contribution to my shopping this week lmfao jokers

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Jesus Christ, asking potential transfer targets for a contribution ? . No wonder we didn’t sign anyone.

It would be like getting offered a job and then being asked to pay your new boss for him to employ you . No wonder he turned us down

• lesh

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Numba 9. I picked on that point too.

Reading Gomis words (They made an offer of €8M plus €2M, then they came back to me asking me to make a financial contribution”) anyone could be forgiven for reading that Kinnear had gone back to Gomis asking for a contribution.

No, never, not Kinnear, never. Never?

I wouldn’t put ut past the useless incompetent clown!

• Graeme

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM

From the sound of it – an absolute shambles.

Why is that not in the least bit surprising though???

• Charlietoon

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Him and his agent all make more money if they wait…..nuff said.

• Blofal

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM

The contribution he was asked to make would have been either the agents fees or the sell on fee to St Etienne I suspect as both Newcastle and Lyon were disputing them.

• lesh

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I wonder if Ashley’s as angry with Kinnear over this window’s pantomime as the Glazers are with the director who f••••d up Man U’s dealings?

Can’t see it somehow as if he pi$$ed of Kinnear, Ashley’d have nobody to drink with!

• Charlietoon

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Holy cripes talk about over reaction. He and his agent probably wanted a signing bonus because if they wait another year till he is a free agent they will both get a lump sum and he will be on bigger wages because no one had to pay to get him. So we went back to him and said hang on were offering you a 5 year contract with a big club a singing bonus and a chance to have a shot at playing world cup football which you wont get sitting on the bench. If your agent wants a bonus for arranging that over his normal fee you can pay him. God forbid that someone should have to pay their own agent. What is the world coming too???

• Charlietoon

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I wish I could get a singing bonus let alone a signing bonus

• numba9

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Sell us to chipperfields a real circus you fkng clown Ashley you are a disgrace a laughing stock of a man I would personaly call you a costume of a man

• The next Mike Williamson

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:49 PM

He’s rubbish and he’s 29 so he’ll lose his pace soon.

• numba9

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

The point is not about how old the player is or ability which has been so called judged but about how Kevin Keegan was absolutely spot on on how mike Ashley goes about signing or should I say not signing players. He would do anything to avoid signing any1 hence the kinnear appointment . Stevie wonder can see this

• kizza

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM

So Ashley bids 10 million and you guys are still not happy. He is getting over charged as it is and was being generous with the 10 million. I’d reluctantly pay a quid for a kitkat but £1.10 would be taking the piss. There only
    Worth 65p tops.

Give him a break….give him a kitka

• kizza

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Kitkat*

• lesh

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Never mind what’s been reported today, there’s a whole we week of challenge and opportunity ahead for Joe Kinnear.

The challenge will be how to fill his time in and the opportunity, to get somebody to write his resignation letter and hand it in for him.

Go on Joe, rise to the challenge of doing it. Do yourself and Newcastle United a big big favour and call it a day eh? The sooner the better for all concerned!

• kizza

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM

This quote from little passage from a Batman: A Dark Knight describes Mike Ashley quite well ….

Alfred: A long time ago, I was in Burma, my friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So we went looking for the stones. But in six months, we never met anyone who traded with him. One day I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

Bruce Wayne: So why steal them?

Alfred: Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren’t looking for anything logical, like money. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

• RonVanDam

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Todays LOL moment

Sunderland manager Paulo Di Canio has been left furious after his senior side lost a friendly against the club’s Under-21s. He was also angered that details of the match were leaked.

• fatman

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM

the latest in the scandal series as recommended by Mike Ashley’s friends around the world and. No animals were slandered in the making of this publication. downloadable pdf.

• theartfuldodger

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Asking the player to make a financial contribution is downright cheap from a big club and a millionaire owner.
    I thought sissoko had to do something like that.
    Absolute disgrace that they mess with players minds , unsettle them and then ask them to pay.
    Which other club does that ?

Well done Gomis.

• cyprus

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:52 AM

We seem reluctant to go after the player position we really need, above anything else: pacy wingers who can make their way behind opponent lines and create opportunities for our strikers.

We appear to prefer two-in-one forwards, strikers/wingers. Personally, I prefer position specialists. I don’t have a problem with that type of player in any case, as long as he is willing to play either position. Players like Henry, Bale, Ronaldo, Remy, Gouffran fit this mold and they haven’t done too badly.

So ‘slow’ Gomis would not be what we need. Much like in the case of Bent. We definitely must inject pace in the team.

• bobby mango

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:56 AM

I’m actually with them on this single deal. The price is too much for him, shocked the board went that high. Suspect we were asking him to waive a fee rather than pay something.

The short fall was not having the plan b they said they had.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I guess by the financial contribution it will have been the same as Sissoko – where we asked him and he agreed to forego his signing on bonus. We then paid it to Toulouse who owed him a loyalty payment due to not requesting a transfer.

Kinnear said this deal was complex, but I think if he is here in January he will realise that it is the norm for players who haven’t requested transfers to receive a payment from their club if they are sold as well as a signing on bonus. Whether this was the case in Kinnears time as a manager who knows, but is further demonstration of his unsuitability to the role.

It doesn’t really matter what the agreed fee was, I fully agree that £10million is far too much for a player that I don’t rate particularly highly. But it is more the principle and the way we are doing deals (or not doing as the case may be) that is the issue here.

• Yorkgeordie

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM

‘I talked to the coach of the magpies’ did he? or does he mean Kinnear?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Lilongwe,
    My take is that way back in January we allowed the Remy deal to be scuppered taking a gamble that QPR would go down and that Remy could be bought or loaned cheap, we entered the ‘negotiations’ with Gomis and Bent to give QPR the impression we would walk away if they didn’t play our game, so once Remy deal was done so was our interest in another striker, the charade was kept up while season tickets were being sold, this is purely speculation mind but I’m pretty certain that’s what went on, all I’m not sure about is whether Pardew is in on it or not, if he wasn’t surely he would of walked by now, he could get an equally well paid job elsewhere.

• croftus5678

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:06 AM

gomis should not have been asked to lower his wages because of what ol had valued him at !

would anyone here value him at 10mil when he’s in the last year of his contract ? imo he’s worth 6-7 maybe not even that so they had no option but to try get the cost down by preying the player really wanted to play for us enough to take a low wage !

i personaly blame ol owner the lads a nightmare and i would get gomis on a free when he cant do anything about it next season but not deal with him ever again if he just wasted our time.

no excuse for jk though as gomis was only 1 of several strikers and players that were a hell of a lot easier to get 🙁

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Jail,
    From what I can piece together from Jan, from Journo’s club statements at both clubs, managers, and player I don’t think we let the deal be scuppered. I think Redknapp and Fernandes just surprised everyone with the speed with which they moved. Although chances are the agents had been speaking with someone connected to QPR well before.

I think you are probably right though in your thinking that we were never seriously interested in anyone once the Remy deal was done. If you think about it, had we got Remy in Jan that was Demba’s replacement. So why would we think that the club would now think we need Remy and a Ba replacement? Add Goofy to the mix as the belated replacement for Best/Lovenkrands and the striker situation in the boards eyes is surely sorted?

Onto Pardew, if he isn’t in on it, then he is spineless. If he is in on it, then he is just as odious as the rest of them. Either way, being happy to sign off a statement as he did last week which contradicts his previous press utterings and those of his players, has lowered his standing once again with fans, and most likely some players as well. He has a lot of work to do to build back any sort of confidence in him.

My personal take is he isn’t in on it, he is as frustrated as the rest of us, but hasn’t the guts to come out and say anything as he knows this is as good as it will get for him as a manager – quite possibly his last job. I can see him going the Curbishley pundit role after this. He looks strained, and like everything is starting to take its toll on him. That isn’t the demeanour of a man who knew he was getting nothing for me.

• HullMag6

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Just another greedy basket. …..

Move on I’d rather have the club gamble on someone like Rhodes or guidetti

Clueless management again. Only positive results will keep me sated at the moment.

• HullMag6

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Jfa

I also suspected as much about Remy

• Transfer Sage

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I’m glad we didn’t get gomis…he is massively over rated by some here. Very modest record, would have been better than nobody though.

Very strange transfer deals though….we bid 10mil euro for him but can’t agree the last few 100k.

Then for darren bent, whatever we think of him, is the same age, has a proven record at several prem league clubs (even decent record at villa for a bench/squad player) yet we bid less for him.

Seems everyone we bid for we just manage to fall short.

• Markaccus

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Morning.

I see mystic colin on twitter is predicting obertan and gosling out on loan…… Bit daft if we have named them in our 25.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM

TS,
    Thing is though, he would have brought more to the table than an unfit Ameobi who has one of the worst strike records in the history of the modern game, if (when) Remy gets injured, suspended or jailed, we are left with a strike force who have mustered something like four goals in their last ten PL games.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM

JFA

Yeh I agree, like I said, better than nobody coming in.

Instead of upgrading ameobi i’d have liked us to upgrade cisse…so cisse replaces ameobi and the new lad replaces cisse.

It gives more depth….just my view of course.

I’d like to know why they valued bent at 2mil but gomis around 8mil though? one has a proven prem record, the other doesn, one has a couple years left on his deal, the other 6 months, both same age.

Just whatever I think of bent I don’t understand how they come up with the valuations.

• lesh

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Come on Lilongwe, give Kinnear a break man. As Pardew said in the club’s statement, he worked flat out to bring in our targets and you can’t fault the him for trying his best!

Ah, but what the club could have done was to sack Kinnear after his drunken outburst on TalkSport when he clearly showed himself to be an oaf who’s both dillusional and clearly not fit to represent Newcastle United.

Either Ashley trusts the idiot without question and takes whatever he says as gospel from a man that’s been out of the game so long and, more to the point clearly has no idea about his responsibilities as a supposed Director of Football at a club with a potentially high media profile, or Ashley is so naive he can’t see through his bull! I tend to lean towards the latter!

The problem is, how does Ashley get rid of Kinnear without losing face, when he realises he’s bought a pup!

• Transfer Sage

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:59 AM

spurs appoint AVB, we appoint pardew….spurs appoiint baldini we appoint kinnear….shows the ambition of one club compared to the other.

Spurs have been very clever the last few years…with only 5mil net spend on transfers in total for the previous 5 years they have massively improved the team and squad.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Lesh,
    Surely we know how Ashley will go about deposing Kinnear. We have already seen the strategy in attempts to depose Pardew. Appoint an even more clueless, tactless and deluded oaf (Kinnear) in a role above him. So, where do we find someone who fits all that to place above Kinnear?

• oldbobaycliffe

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM

if we finished three places higher with gomis than we did last season the difference in sky money would more than cover all these other expences.plus our gate against fulham was only 46,000 if we had signed him that might have been higher.ashley has obviously never heard of the expression speculate to accumulate

• lesh

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Lilongwe Geordie @36… nice response and for candidates to fill the role of Director of Director of Football (aka Omnishambles Director), might I dare to suggest the whereabouts of likely candidates?

An ar on St Nicks or Cherry Knowles notice boards might attract a few with the qualifications that Ashley seems to see as essential!

• Dekasalya

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Lesh

Ashley won’t, of course, sack Kinnear. Not because they are mates, but because the sacking would make it look like Ashley had made a mistake.

Instead JFK will be sent on the longest European scouting mission possible, without a return ticket. While JFK meanders from bar to bar along the Cote D’Azur, boring people witless in the process, Pardew, Carr and Charnley will be allowed to take on the old boy’s supposed job of signing players.

Some time in the January transfer window JFK will realise that his role is actually to mix Ashley’s brandy alexanders, keep the peanut bowl topped up and to give Ashley a foot rub if he wants it.

• nufc 11

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM

What ever happened to the 13million that was on the table for PEA? was that a smoke screen? only thing I can think of is that they put part of that money away to sign Remy perminately but he is going bk to QPR nxt year after the loan as JFK siad anyway.