Is Bafe Gomis Now Too Old For Newcastle?

It’s a little amazing how much the Bafe Gomis saga just ended (unsuccessfully) mirrored that of Mathieu Debuchy last summer, and at this time last year Debuchy started to play again for Lille, after being very disappointed the deal did not go through, so he could join his best pal, Yohan Cabaye at Newcastle – and right now Gomis is getting ready to play again for Lyon, after training in the reserves for most of the summer.

bafetimbi gomis - pink

Bafe Gomis – too old at 28?

But after the disappointment of last summer, and the fans’ amazement at Newcastle didn’t add more than Vurnon Anita and young Gael Bigirimana to the squad, which has qualified for Europe, Newcastle went back to Lille and made the deal, which we executed in early January.

And there was some debate at that time that Mathieu  may have been too old to join Newcastle, because a year ago he was 27,  and Newcastle usually bring players in who are younger than that – so their value increases and doesn’t decrease.

Bafe Gomis is now 28, and if we do sign him in January he will soon be 29 next August, so age may become a factor, as Newcastle could always bring in a younger player,  like 24 year-old Alfred Finnbogason who plays for Heerenveen, and he had a great season last term and scored 28 goals in 34 appearances for the Eredivisie side.

Alfred would cost £5M at most, and his wages would be a lot less than those of Gomis, so that’s always a possibility.

But if  history is to repeat itself at Newcastle, and that’s what seems to be happening all the time, then the club will be trying to do a deal to get Gomis to Newcastle, and he should be about half the price he was in the summer, although wages may again prove to be the stumbling block.

But we feel confident that some striker is going to be signed in the summer, unless of course Cisse and Remy score lots of foals before then.

If that happened, Newcastle wouldn’t buy, although we should always be trying to build up the side, even when we are doing well.

But it seems the club is just far too conservative and unwilling to spend the money  necessary to have Newcastle become a great side again.

That’s a great pity. 🙁

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Rooster

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Im going to find it extremly tough now to believe anything the club says, i know a lot have been that way for a long time, its a shame it has came to this, i just dont lnow what the club can do the way most are feeling, i certainly wont be listening to any crap coming from Pardew, or owt that has been fed down, from the owner or JK. Bullshitters beyond belief.

• Faddj

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Totally off topic but would really appropriate everyone’s attention for an up and coming project of mine (I’m a photographer)

So, to celebrate 10 years of being a season ticket holder at this fantastic club, I want to gather a large number of you supporters who have also been a season ticket holder from anytime between now and 10 year ago, I want to hear your memories, your highs and lows, your opinions of this club and the goings on over the past 10 years.

Photographically, by the end of this season I would like to have taken individual images of hundreds of fans wearing any Newcastle shirt from the last 10 years, that includes 3rd kits as well.

I want to welcome fans of all shape, size, age and gender to get in touch if they’d like to be a part of this, no need to be camera shy, this isn’t a fashion shoot, but more of a documentation of the people who have shared the same memories as I have going to St. James’ Park week in week out.

I’m really excited to get going with this, the project will run from now until the last day of this season, so I encourage you all to get in touch so we can arrange a date and a time to have your photograph taken.

Email me at faddjphoto@gmail.com to find out more, I’m not an expert in writing so if non of this makes sense, please feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try clear it up for you!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Anybody planning on going to the game Wednesday night needs to get a ticket asap as there are only level 7 left, a sell out.
    Probably aged the poor guy ten years having to deal with us.

• kt97toonarmy

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Jfa

I thought it wouldnt b anywhere over 30 000 proves how wrong i am LOL

• JaxtheMag

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM

if gomis was 39 he couldn’t be any worse than shola,but we wont pay his wages so he wont come anyway, so move on.

• Maladoni 69

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Please don’t send this man any pictures of your daughters.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM

JFA
    Good to hear wor stevie deserves a canny send off
    Great servant to the club and a top top lad

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Hmmm I wonder if the FA would of been as lenient if the player wasn’t an up and coming English international?

• JaxtheMag

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM

if we wouldn’t pay his wages in the summer we wont pay them in January,even tho he would be cheaper. does anyother team want him anyway.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Jax
    Yeah marseille want him, and he wants them so I’d imagine he’ll be signing a pre contract in jan

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM

@Newcastle_FC: DERBY DAY UPDATE: Sunderland v Newcastle United will now kick off at 1:30pm, Sunday 27th October, live on… http://t.co/1R01noATDl

Also Nolan confirmed for harps testimonial

• Coach

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Surely this is the wrong signing anyway, too old, too expensive, too high wages and agents who want stupid fees.

The clue is in the fact that no other team was even rumoured to be in for him.

We need two new strikers between January and the summer, don’t forget that we almost certainly lose Remy.

• numba9

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM

question should be is Ashley too skint for the toon the answer xYES

• GeordieTwo

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I think Villa away is about the right level of competition for us right now to assess the progress of the team. They have a very good striker in Benteke, pace with Agbonlahor on the wing and a decent defense. A young team on the rise if they can keep their squad together. We still have our question marks especially away from home. Can Remy provide goals? Can Ben Arfa be consistently good and distribute the ball as well? How will the midfield play? I’m looking forward to this one.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM

TDsarf,
    You’re anti Mike Ashley, that’s like claiming to be anti Thatcher while shouting the praises of cheap South American coal.

• Charlietoon

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Would anyone else take Petric as a free agent. He was with Fullham and had a couple of good games. I remember him having some pace and being a sort of right place right time striker and I think he would score a brace then go missing for a few games and repeat. As a free he might be a decent off the bench option for six months whilst Campbell is out on loan.

• tails

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM

once again, please can everyone sign this petition…gotta be worth a try?!

please sign this, so far there are 2162 signatures but we need much much more than this. thanks guys

• tails

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Also, where is torqtoon?

• Our Toon

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM

On the topic of quotas or limiting foreigners to aid our national team…..don’t make me laugh, if the reason for our failures is solely down to what Rio, Glenn Hoddle and this Dyke fella seem to want us all to believe then I ask why in the 70’s n 80’s did we struggle so badly when 80%+ were English in our leagues? If you are good enough you will get picked problem is we still get our lads from a young age to lump the ball around, why not teach them basics and no 11 aside stuff until they are at least 14/15, before that age they should all play 5/7 aside even limit it to less it tight spaces .Sorry lads off topic but I’m around 8 hours ahead of UK time at present so slow with catching up on articles

• Ibizatoon

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

tails…Can you talk me through that petition, as I think I’m missing something.

Is it just to gain awareness or will it actually amount to something?

If it’s awareness, do you not think it needs more information other than Ashley get out?

I’m not sure if you set it up or it’s something you’ve come across, but as someone who is wanting to see change, I’m not sure what this petition actually can or is trying to do.

I agree that it’s got to be worth trying, but it may gain more interest if people understood the process a bit better.

Torq stopped posting so much at the beginning of the summer. Given the lackluster summer and the way people turn on each other I imagine he’s just extending his holiday from the blog.

• tails

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Ahh ok, just wondered where he’d got to as it was interesting to read his inside info, and I can see why he has reasons to stop posting as the arguments on here are a bit uncalled for imo.

The petition isn’t mine, its just something I found over the weekend and although the message is limited my point in getting people to sign is to raise awareness, I think the more signatures there are the more chance the petition has of getting noticed. Just think if it was noticed my mainstream media such as Sky Sports, or the BBC.

I’m not naive to think Ashley will go “ok then ill sell” but we have got to be doing absoulutely everything we can to 1. raise awareness and 2. send out the message not that we’re unhappy with the transfer window but that we just want him out.

• tails

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM

The petition was created by a chap called Clint Meek in Kansas City over in the US. Not sure if Ed has ever heard of him or if anyone knows him?!

• Pokat

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Where’s an Ed-banger when you need one? He gives you material like the last article where he says Remy is an important LAYER and you don’t even bother! Pathetic man just pathetic.

Answer to this article is YES. Is there a prize or a badge for getting this right or is it a test?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Tails…Fair enough. I think many are reluctant to just throw their support at something they don’t fully understand or that has no real or manageable direction…but as you say it’s worth a try.

• Pokat

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Abyway I am not interested in couldve shouldve any more we should just get on it an support the lads on the pitch now. I also think we should quiet down on the Ashley hate stuff until we see how christmas to january plays (or lays ha ha) out. As a group we could just be demoralising the team and that’s not being a supporter is it? How I see it don’t throw stuff at me. 🙂

• Trent Toon

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM

The sad thing about my experience with this club is that I’m not really getting angry with this club anymore, I’m just starting not to care. I used to get excited to watch Newcastle even though we could have been playing horribly and I expected defeat. It was the highlight of my week and looked forward to it all week long. Now I feel I have more important or exciting things to do.

I don’t really like Newcastle United anymore, I mean what is there to really like about it? The owner? What about the manager? How about the director of football? The sponsor? The marquee signing? The deadline day transfers? The stadium name change? The many Geordies in the squad? The club ambition? The past 5 years? Our hero-like number 9?

I love the fans but they don’t count being a part of the club, not anymore. I think mike Ashley has made a good conscious effort to seperate them from actually being the club to us being mere customers.

Painfully true but I think the only thing that I like about this club is its proud history pre-2007, other than that what else is to like?

I think the powers that be have really taken everything away from the fans. When a club does that the fans have very little left to give, so we stop going, watching, or even caring. Evidence of this is starting to show. How can Mike Ashley want to build a worldwide brand when he has destroyed the brand in the clubs location and country. He has single handily destroyed the pride of this club. How long will it take to rid ourselves if this evil?

It is no longer Newcastle United football club, it’s Football Sports Club based in Newcastle – this is no longer our pride, our St James park, our team, our heroes, our club! We are HIS customers and nothing more.

The money YOU pay for a season ticket goes to paying Joe Kinnears Wages. Think about that, you pay someone to literally give an appalling interview on how he signed Robbie Earl for xyz?

I think for all those that are so avid on continually supporting the club it’s time to admit that apples are apples and that Newcastle United died 3-4 years ago. We now have football club based in Newcastle.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Pokat,
    You’ll then be saying judge him in the summer.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Pokat…Not here to throw stuff at you…honest 🙂

When does that end though? Is January his last chance? What if he does nothing then? Give him next summer as we know for sure the TV money will have been given to the club?

I for one feel I’ve given Ashley a lot of chances to show his true intentions.

This isn’t about not getting a new player this summer, it’s about lying to the fans. He says, actually “he” doesn’t, he has representatives tell us one thing, and then another, and then back to the original thing and then does something completely different.

How is anyone supposed to have faith in that or believe in a brighter future?

I personally think we should do okay this season, but that isn’t my issue. There is a complete lack of respect shown towards the fans.

That doesn’t mean we need to go over the top, but patience has worn thin and I don’t think sit and wait is an option anymore…that’s how I see it anyway.

As for “Ed-banging”… 🙂

• Pokat

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Yeah not often get an original but I liked ed-banger too ha ha.

No no no January is the cutoff date for me like. That’s the time when I KNOW I am SERIOUSLY hacked with this sorry crew. Thanks@ 107 by the way that ray of sun cheered me up no end 🙁

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Pokat
    Every time a window closes someone spouts the line “lets see how next window goes then judge him”

• Ibizatoon

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Pokat…What would January signings prove though?

If we’re not doing well it will only be perceived as another reactionary window.

If we’re doing well, it will be argued that it’s down to fan pressure from this summers pathetic showing.

They said they had learnt from last summer. They went some way to rectify that in the winter, but then did exactly the same, actually, they did worse this summer in not signing one player permanently.

I was willing to give them this summer to show their intentions and believe they have.

Now…on to your maths…”Thanks @107″….on post 30…something is amiss here 🙂

• John Tudor

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM

ashley forgiven
    yes if and when he makes a grovelling statement to the fans for his misguided crap running of our club
    never gonna happen

• Coach

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM

TrentToon@27
    What a sad, sad post. I understand every word and I would never fault you for being driven to the point of despair. I can’t imagine that I could ever reach the point where I don’t care any more but it worries me when I read so many posts like yours.

I don’t get to the games as often as I used to because I live too far away but I know I will always feel sick when I see we’ve lost and I will always walk with a spring in my step when we’ve won.

NUFC fans will be here long after Ashley, Kinnear and Pardew have gone. All it needs is one rich football fan to realise that he has the easiest job in the world to have happy fans, and a successful club.

After Ashley it would be so easy to look like the world’s greatest owner.

• Pokat

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM

No me lads, here is where I stand on the January time thing, I am already conviinced Ashley has no clue or care about Nufc and just wants to move it on at a profit, so he’s running it on fumes. Pardew has run out of things to do and say and Joe is well Joe. Come January, we are mid to lower table, still playing and talking rubbish, and Ashley doesn’t sack the frickin lot of them and get a proper management and coaching lot in and a few decent players, I’m all for picking up a shovel or a pitch fork and hounding the fat man out.

Unless of course the footy fairy has waved her wand over the team and we are in the top 4.

• John Tudor

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

more like the boggy quicksand sorry

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Ibiza,
    That is my biggest problem with the regime, the constant lying, the ficticious bids, the failed medicals for fit players, the we can’t compete …..

• Trent Toon

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Coach@34 I still do care just rather in a declining fashion, if I didn’t I wouldn’t have bothered to write that. But catch me on another day and I wouldn’t have bothered. Its a sad story as I think many have moved past the anger stage and more towards a ‘letting go’ stage. The magic just doesn’t seem to be here anymore.

• John Tudor

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM

they only silverware ashley will be polishing is his coathanger ends and that will be done by his 0 hour contract minions

• roy

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM

There are better strikers out there than Gomis that NUFC should go after. But first they need to move Pardew out of the club as he hasn’t the tactical nous for the premier league.