The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It’s Going To Be A Big Night On Wednesday

9:32 am, Monday, September 9th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

Steve Harper will have his testimonial game against an AC Milan side on Wednesday night at St. James’ Park, and Steve is raising money for the Newcastle United Foundation, the Great North Children’s Hospital and the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.

steve harper the last farewell

A tearful Steve Harper after the Arsenal game in May

And it seems it’;s going to be some night on Wednesday with the ticket sales nearing 40,000.

Alan Shearer, Les Ferdinand, Peter Beardsley, Andy Cole, Faustino Asprilla, David Ginola and Joey Barton will be in a Newcastle side, while the Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio will be on the opposing side with players like Franco Baresi and the great Paolo Maldini, one of the best defenders to ever play the game.

This is what Steve said in the local papers today, and also refers to Hull Cit’s visit on the 21st of this month:

“It’s going to be a contrasting 10 days,” “September 11th  is hopefully going to be a very special night.” “I know there’ll be a full house on the 21st when Hull come up here.”

“It’s going to be strange coming out of the tunnel and turning left.” “Knowing the Newcastle fans as well as I do, I’ll probably get a decent reception beforehand for the warm-up, and as soon as I touch the ball I’ll get slaughtered! I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

“To see the likes of Shearer, Cole, Beardsley, Ferdinand and Ginola back will be fantastic,” “Pavel Srnicek’s coming back. He was a hero of mine.” “They’ll be against Baresi, Maldini and so on – it’ll be a very special night.”

“Every single penny will go to those fantastic local causes.” “It would be fantastic if the people of the region buy into it and bring their kids to see some of the best players to have played for this football club.”

“I have to thank the fans’  group for putting it forward to the club, and the club for granting me this incredible opportunity.” “I had that incredible send-off against Arsenal which me and my family will never forget.”

“It’s important people realise this game is not about me – it’s about using my time served here to hopefully raise a lot of money for some of the fantastic facilities we’re fortunate to have on our doorstep.”

It’s indicative of Steve that he deflects things from being about himself, but he’s right that the game is for some excellent local charities – and that’s always  a good thing.

Tickets for this charity match are on sale from the Newcastle web-site at £10 for adults and £5 for children and concessions – you can get the tickets here.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Charity · Newcastle News · Other News · Steve Harper

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Sep 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Very much looking forward to this game

I don’t want to support Ashley with my money (but this if for charity) but Harper has been a great servant and deserves a good send off. Glad i bought tickets for this.

• 2 Markaccus // Sep 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

From last article

The infrastructure of English footy is derelict. Fix this, create better English young players, and then big clubs will start signing them.
    Also, stop all this “street soccer skills” sh1te. If a kid is that good with a ball at his feet, why wasnt rooney training them to play actual football. If the world cup consisted of who could get the most balls into a crate on a moving flat-bed, then we would win every year!

• 3 Goodfella // Sep 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I hope Barton snaps Di canio ;)

• 4 Markaccus // Sep 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

T sage

As far as i am aware not one penny goes into FCBs pocket. Just don’t buy any bovril and pies, or the protest gang will get you :D

Enjoy the game.

• 5 Rainrix // Sep 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Markaccus… To be fair i don’t think they’ve made that show for a while now, and they stopped making the fifa street games ;)

• 6 Newcastle Brown Alien // Sep 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Repost:

I don’t understand the problem, without foreign players this league would not be the league it is, it would be the equivalent of the french league, as players would move on to different (bigger clubs). For example, france have been and still are a good national side, but many of their star players like ribery play outside France. Now is the English national team a lot better than the french, no. So why would we jeopardise our attraction for all the big players. We would end up being a feeding league and would be stuck with mediocre football from mediocre players, losing the european places. Get over the lack of english players in the league. Quite frankly they are overpriced and you can get an equal player for half the price (and a lot of the time half the ego) in places like France, Holland and Belgium.

• 7 martoon // Sep 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Whatever you think of Paolo di Cannio I think he has shown a lot of bottle agreeing to play – full respect until after the match then back to abusing him ;)
    Morning Markaccus – I don’t quite follow your argument – street soccer is just a tool to hone your skills the same as, say, dribbling around cones.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Repostfrom last article.
    A quota would just lower the quality of entertainment and skill that people have to fork out ludicrous amounts of money to watch. I agree that there should be more English/British players playing at the top level, but don’t blame the foreigners for being better. It starts from the grassroots. From kids before they even get to academy level being taught the very basics. It starts in schools, in boys clubs. The UK has one of the lowest amount of qualified coaches per player in Europe, probably in most of the football playing world.

Success is also valued to highly, the image of parents arguing and berating their kids on the pitch if they aren’t winning is one I saw regularly playing as a kid, and one that I imagine will still go on today. Parents playing out their own dreams of winning games through their kids. It isn’t just coaching that needs changing, it is a mentality problem that is virtually institutionalised throughout the UK.

I used to play with people who were good players as kids, but hated playing because they knew that if they made one little error, they would be shouted at by their dad on the touchline. How can kids develop under that?

Yes, coaching needs to improve and has done for years, but parents play just as important a role in the development as well.

• 9 bills-son // Sep 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Re the last thread on Gomis.

The number of posts referring to us asking Gomis to take a wage cut – we didn’t!

We asked him to make a ‘contribution’ which is something totally different. Because he didn’t ask for a transfer he would be due the balance of any signing on fee negotiated when he joined Lyon. My understanding is that Lyon refused to pay it because they claimed some newspaper report about him damaged the club – a load of bollox and a ploy to get out of paying him. My guess is that we said we’d pay him say 50% of what Lyon should have paid him just to get the deal done – but Gomis wanted the full amount. Why should we pay something due by Lyon?

Whatever the true version – we didn’t ask him to take a pay cut.

• 10 Transfer Sage // Sep 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

markacus

A lot of brazilian lads perfect their skills playing on the street…if you can control a ball on a cobbled street you can control it on a flat grass pitch.

The key is to get these people into a formal set up but to allow them to keep their skills.flair going. It’s getting a balance, in most sports england try to make everyone the same as the coaching manual says without letting them use their flair and skill.

How often does a youngster break onto the scene, show some great talent, then he gets coached more and that flair goes and he fades into the pack.

• 11 Transfer Sage // Sep 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM

bills

I remember you saying you would re-assess your view on ashley after the summer was over. Can I ask where you currently stand?

not trying to have a go, just curious.

• 12 blew // Sep 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM

NBA @ 6
    Current World Rankings-
    England 14th
    France 23rd
    We are a better team than France.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

The other problem in the UK is that when we do find someone with natural talent and flair, they are all of a sudden one of the World’s greatest players and have the hopes and dreams of their club side and their country weighted on their shoulders. Far too much pressure on a kid who is to all intents and purposes still learning his profession.

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

martoon,
    I think you are asking far too much if you are thinking we should respect him and hold off the abuse till after the game. I imagine he will get one of the louder reactions for Milan players on the night…

• 15 croftus5678 // Sep 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

the germans are very strict and organised and the brazilians are just very skillful individuals and england are well…neither tbh ^^ we try to be like germany i think but lack the discaplin and commitment as a team and our players individualy are not in the class of the worlds best imo.

the one thing we used to do well but have lost our way in is bully a football pitch ! a big strong striker muscling his way around same with lamps/gerrard throwing themselves around with the likes of adam/cambell/terry all no hassle defenders players were scared of.

bring back shearer and sheringham.

• 16 wynsleap // Sep 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Markaccus @ 4 – “The protest gang will get you”.
    How very sarcastic… and childish.
    The ‘protest gang’ would like to improve this club in every respect by removing Ashley. Have you got a better alternative?
    Maybe just sitting on your a**e and taking everything this guy throws at you apart except from ambition and respect?
    I take it then that everyone who isn’t in the ‘protest gang’
    is happy with no signings, no intention of mixing it with the majority of Premier League clubs, a DOF who is a joke, a constant battle to escape relegation, a shirt sponsor whose name offends the great majority etc. etc.?
    Perhaps as a non-member of the ‘protest gang’ you get everything you deserve.

• 17 bills-son // Sep 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Transfer,

I’ve answered more than once in posts.

I think we’ve made a big mistake not signing another CF and a CB but to balance that we haven’t sold a top player – something widely predicted by many posters.

I’m as baffled as any fan by Kinnear’s appointment and there is no doubt it has been a PR disaster and the blame for that lies squarely at Ashley’s door and imo its the worst decision Ashley has made.

However – what this window has proved yet again is that we are not a selling club. Players like Krul, Cabaye, HBA and Cisse could all have been sold for £8M-£12M bringing in a very decent profit – but they are still here.

Am I happy with this summer’s business – no. Do I think its an absolute disaster – no.

The next six games will go along way to setting the tone for the rest of the season. If we are top 8 a lot of the hysteria will die down, if we are bottom 8 or worse still bottom 6 I can see major fan unrest – and Ashley will carry the can.

• 18 croftus5678 // Sep 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM

@16 wyns

if marc doesnt like the idea of protests (which i cant find a comment he’s made about it tbh but not read everything) then thats fair enough as everyone has there own opinions !

i “will” protest at the next game but make sure i let the players know its not directed at them and that they do me proud and have my full support but its only doing what i believe is best and could well backfire as ashley can do so many things if he wanted to that hurts us as in selling our best players and not signing anyone for the next few years or even selling us to an even worse owner without caring who it is !

its all a risk and a gamble and can see why some are against it.

• 19 wynsleap // Sep 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Croftus – I hear what you are saying it’s just that I find it difficult to comprehend anyone having a sarcastic dig at fans who just want to improve the situation at the Toon.
    Who doesn’t want a more respected, competitive, honest and sensibly run club?
    Like I said on another topic it’s not the team that’s important but the CLUB. The players are professionals and, I’m sure, will understand the supporter feelings – they are not stupid.
    Most of them will not be here in two or three years anyway but WE don’t want to be here at that time still moaning about the lack of direction, ambition etc caused by Ashley.
    As for what Ashley can do to this club ask yourself -could another owner do any worse? To blindly accept the current situation just because the alternative may be worse is pretty cowardly in my opinion. No offence meant.

• 20 Sir Braveheart // Sep 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM

“As for what Ashley can do to this club ask yourself -could another owner do any worse?”

Seriously….do not ask that question. The fellows over the border at Rangers would like a word. And at Portsmouth. And Leeds. And Sheffield Utd.

Ashleys not a great owner, but by God there’s a world of worse ones out there.

• 21 Faddj // Sep 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Totally off topic but would really appropriate everyone’s attention for an up and coming project of mine (I’m a photographer)

So, to celebrate 10 years of being a season ticket holder at this fantastic club, I want to gather a large number of you supporters who have also been a season ticket holder from anytime between now and 10 year ago, I want to hear your memories, your highs and lows, your opinions of this club and the goings on over the past 10 years.

Photographically, by the end of this season I would like to have taken individual images of hundreds of fans wearing any Newcastle shirt from the last 10 years, that includes 3rd kits as well.

I want to welcome fans of all shape, size, age and gender to get in touch if they’d like to be a part of this, no need to be camera shy, this isn’t a fashion shoot, but more of a documentation of the people who have shared the same memories as I have going to St. James’ Park week in week out.

I’m really excited to get going with this, the project will run from now until the last day of this season, so I encourage you all to get in touch so we can arrange a date and a time to have your photograph taken.

Email me at faddjphoto@gmail.com to find out more, I’m not an expert in writing so if non of this makes sense, please feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try clear it up for you!

previous post: Newcastle Now In The Dock For England’s Woeful Record?

next post: Two Frenchmen Can Help Newcastle To Successful Season